Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2016 2:10 PM

Jul 2007
Veronin said:
Fai said:

That isn't racist, just as Hermoine from Harry Potter being changed to a black girl is not racist.

It's just bad character design and a case of an adaptation being unfaithful to the original.

Annihilation of representation of minority ethnicity IS racism. The showrunners specifically decided to take a character who is very clearly designed as NOT white and VERY CLEARLY not white and changed her skin color. Why would they do that? the answer is quite clear.

It does not work the other way around since thhe white ethnicity and skin color is dominant in most of fictional narrative(and to extent in real world). When a white character is portrayed by person of color, such a change is usually done for sake of representation of minority ethnicities and more progressive and varied approach to representation of various cultures.

I said it before and Ill say it again:
“Representation in the fictional world signifies social existence; absence means symbolic annihilation.”

There are a lot of academic works exploring whitewashing and the racism that is idea of "skin color not matter anymore" and how it discriminates minorities, as well as why casting someone black into white role is not as damaging as erasing a character of color by casting a white actor into the role. "Whitewashing Race: The Myth of a Color-Blind Society" by Michael k Brown is a decent start in terms of learning.
AhenshihaelJul 1, 2016 2:15 PM
Jul 1, 2016 2:14 PM

Feb 2015
Well... I'll never bitch about the movies again, that's for damn sure.
Jul 1, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
Fai said:
Annihilation of representation of minority ethnicity IS racism. The showrunners specifically decided to take a character who is very clearly designed as NOT white and VERY CLEARLY not white and changed her skin color.
It does not work the other way around since thhe white ethnicity and skin color is dominant in fictional narrative(and to extent in real world).

“Representation in the fictional world signifies social existence; absence means symbolic annihilation.”

The world of Berserk isn't the same as our world. Unless there's something I'm forgetting from the manga, it did not ever go into detail about how many people are white, black, who is a minority, whether or not black people were being oppressed by whites, or if they even care about skin colour in the first place. Applying the same standards to a piece of fantasy is very dangerous.
Jul 1, 2016 2:17 PM

Mar 2016
Well RIP my hopes for this series.
Thought the complaints about the CGs were a bit exaggerated, but I went to take a look myself and damn. This is just godawful. Had a hard time going through the whole episode honestly.

Well, at least the OP's not too bad & the pacing is okay. But CG completely turns this series into a big "nope" for me. Just nope.
Jul 1, 2016 2:18 PM

Apr 2011
Also, Casca is originally tan, she is not black. Removing someone's tan (which comes from the sun, not from heritage), is not related to racism.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge

Jul 2007
Veronin said:
Fai said:
Annihilation of representation of minority ethnicity IS racism. The showrunners specifically decided to take a character who is very clearly designed as NOT white and VERY CLEARLY not white and changed her skin color.
It does not work the other way around since thhe white ethnicity and skin color is dominant in fictional narrative(and to extent in real world).

The world of Berserk isn't the same as our world. Unless there's something I'm forgetting from the manga, it did not ever go into detail about how many people are white, black, who is a minority, whether or not black people were being oppressed by whites, or if they even care about skin colour in the first place. Applying the same standards to a piece of fantasy is very dangerous.

The world of berserk is still a world that adheres to earth type planet climate cycles and weather. Its not some alien colony inside a gas giant or some other non-earth climate. Which means other skin colors than white exist and applying the same standards is only normal. If character is depicted as not white, the character is not white.

Just because its a fantasy world, does not mean that races no longer exist.

Casca is very clearly depicted as not white. We can only guess if she is hispanic, or if she is of romani descent or if she is black. But she is not white and she shares her skin color with the characters who are not white.

Taking a character like that and erasing her skin color IS the erasure of her ethnicity and erasure of representation of minority ethnicity within the work. Which, in turn, is a form of racism.
Oct 2012
I hate CG... Ruined adaptation
Jul 1, 2016 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
thepath said:

_Peksi said:

Yes that would be by far the best choice, if you haven't read it yet

I will stick with anime

You hate the anime because of animation, and yet you guys prefer to read manga that has no animation, no voice, no ost and no colors. LOL

I fail to see how people could enjoy lifeless manga more, even if the anime does not have good animation or visuals.

...are you serious?
I don't like this series 'cus the art/animation is complete garbage compared to how great great the art in the manga looks. I could deal with subpar animation, but crappy CGI is just crap.
Also so far the adaptation itself doesn't look promising. Lots of things were cut, events that have no relation are mixed together and characters are introduced before they should be. Also the pacing feel ridiculously rushed. So yea no it's not just the fact that it looks bad.

Let me guess you're one of those "I don't get how people can like books more than movies. 'cus ya know books have no sound/visuals" people?
Good manga with great art>crappy anime adaptation, no matter how you look at it

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 1, 2016 2:27 PM

Dec 2015
Sapewloth said:
Fuseteam said:
so i should first watch the earlier series? which anime should i start with?
the manga

Fai said:
Fuseteam said:
so i should first watch the earlier series? which anime should i start with?

Only manga.

First series are imperfect but a decent visually if you want AFTER reading manga.

Royal-Guard-Reli said:
Alright... Okay... I don't think it's that bad, honestly. It has better animation than RWBY, that's all I asked for. >_>

Except it does not. And the animation is least of this show's problems.

The story is completely fucked.
And they made Casca white.

envy__ said:
can i watch this 2016 version without watching the earlier one?

Read the manga.

o.O that's two times the same answer,sorry but uuuuh i'm more an anime guy than a manga guy, let me ask this another way if i want to start with the anime which series should i start in what order? the manga is pretty big and i have enough other series to catch on, which is why i like to know the spoiler free anime order

Jul 1, 2016 2:30 PM
Apr 2014
So watched the first ep and it's off to a bad start.
1.The voice acting is stiff.
2.They can't convey a facial expression.
3.The music sucks!!! The hype moments didn't work with the music.
4. When they fight it look and feel like they're lagging.
5. I myself can't start the way it's drawn,everything looks cheap and lacks detail.

Why the fuck is Casca white now?
CarlosbattousaiJul 1, 2016 2:33 PM

Feb 2013
Not bad.
Guts being aweome as ever.
I feel bad for those two who got involved with him in the first place.
I didn't like that they changed his meeting with Puck.
I guess that this isn't going to follow the manga completely.

Jan 2009
Fuseteam said:

o.O that's two times the same answer,sorry but uuuuh i'm more an anime guy than a manga guy, let me ask this another way if i want to start with the anime which series should i start in what order? the manga is pretty big and i have enough other series to catch on, which is why i like to know the spoiler free anime order

Watch the original anime series before this.
You can also watch the movie trilogy, but personally I recommend the tv series

Jul 1, 2016 2:33 PM

Oct 2014
Fuseteam said:
Sapewloth said:
the manga

Fai said:

Only manga.

First series are imperfect but a decent visually if you want AFTER reading manga.

Read the manga.

*clears throat*
Read the manga

Thing is..even the original anime time line is messed up from what I remembered they jumbled up events so watching the anime (any of them) is kind of a spoiler in itself in a way..and probably why you can't get a proper answer (well that and the manga really is a masterpiece)so yeah..to the manga!

If you don't like Kaneki there's a 90 percent chance you didn't read the manga.
Read it now.
Just do it.
Don't question it mongrel.

Rating System l Anime List l Manga List

My manga list is a more accurate representation of my preferences
Cease your thievery of my wine.
Jul 1, 2016 2:36 PM

May 2010
Fuseteam said:
Sapewloth said:
the manga

Fai said:

Only manga.

Read the manga.

I'm sorry bro, but under NO circumstance will I ever suggest watching the Berserk anime series/movies first. Maybe for other series, but not for berserk.. The manga is just too great
Jul 1, 2016 2:37 PM

Jan 2009
toomi said:

*clears throat*
Read the manga

Thing is..even the original anime time line is messed up from what I remembered they jumbled up events so watching the anime (any of them) is kind of a spoiler in itself in a way..and probably why you can't get a proper answer (well that and the manga really is a masterpiece)so yeah..to the manga!

I don't really recall the time line being that much off in the original series. Aside from cutting some stuff(like Puck) I don't think it deviates from the manga by much.
Then again it's been ages since I watched it.

but yeah totally agree, manga is the go to when it comes to Berserk

Jul 1, 2016 2:47 PM

Oct 2009
Garbage. Japanese don't have enough budget nor time to make good cgi animes and should give up on doing it.
Jul 1, 2016 2:48 PM

Dec 2014
Well, I liked it. Sure, it was immensely flawed but it wasn't terrible.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I liked it more than I should or if the Berserk fandom is being unreasonable again with the user scores.

Probably a combination of both.
Jul 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Oct 2014
BadVoodoo said:
Well, I liked it. Sure, it was immensely flawed but it wasn't terrible.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I liked it more than I should or if the Berserk fandom is being unreasonable again with the user scores.

Probably a combination of both.

Most shows with great source material will have an unforgiving fandom when it comes to adaptations..berserk is rank1 on MAL after all, I'm more or less judging it as a stand alone so in that sense it's not that bad as an anime..ofcourse it can't even begin to come close to the manga but on it's own it's fine as long as you don't compare..though at this point Berserk deserves an adaption on par with HxH and FMAb in terms of quality and faithfulness to the plot.

I play a lot of video games too so in terms of CGI still prefer traditional but I'm not bothered by it as much as others I guess?

Read it now.
Just do it.

Jul 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Jan 2015
So much hate...lol.
Jul 1, 2016 2:58 PM
Apr 2016
Yeah, that was pretty bad. The bastardization of the story is due to them having skipped so much stuff but that will less of an issue later on.

So yeah I am still looking forward to the next episode.

redgrave_zeroJul 1, 2016 3:01 PM
Jul 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2014
I'm a huge Berserk fan, and I have bought all 37 volumes of the manga, and it has its own shelf in my room. I even have posters of Guts in my room as well, and hearing that this was going to be CGI I had low expectations

But my god that CGI is GARBAGE, they changed certain scenes from the manga, pucks voice does not fit at all.

Dropped
Jul 1, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2014
Good thing I've never read the Berserk manga, or else I'd be completely outraged right now.
Also, what the hell is the point of Puck as a character? He's like Navi but even more pointless and annoying.
Jul 1, 2016 3:04 PM

Dec 2015
A mysterious strong one-arm warrior, all alone in the darkness, followed by a mysterious evil force and haunted by a dramatic experience where he lost many comrades/friends? Good first impression (like when I read the manga synopsis a long time ago).

The movements of walking/running characters looked so weird while the little movements looked "normal" to me, why? o_O
Also, I liked the "pencil strokes" effect, too bad the characters look drawn only in close-ups (I found some of those pictures pretty correct) and tend to look more computerized when the distance is bigger.

3/5 (4 if I "forget" the 3D movements and very geometric face of the hero)

Stark700 said:
So in essence, the show assumes the viewers are pretty familiar with the franchise already.

What? Wasn't this series supposed to tell the beginning of the manga who follow chronologically the flashback chapters who were anmated twice?
I was almost certain the first book introduced the "fairy" like this episode did.

I wanted to start as if I was reading the story in the manga (this thing has always been near impossible to read in France, too few prints and protected under plastic). I guess this won't be this year.

@Hongu Nothing is more annoying than those "Listen!!"
Rei_IIIJul 1, 2016 3:10 PM
Jul 1, 2016 3:05 PM
Apr 2016
Hongu said:
Good thing I've never read the Berserk manga, or else I'd be completely outraged right now.
Also, what the hell is the point of Puck as a character? He's like Navi but even more pointless and annoying.

He's there to lighten up the mood and bring to some humor into the dark story.
Jul 1, 2016 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
Hongu said:

To annoy Guts ofcourse silly

Read it now.
Just do it.

Jul 1, 2016 3:07 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
Jul 1, 2016 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Fai said:

Casca is very clearly depicted as not white. We can only guess if she is hispanic, or if she is of romani descent or if she is black. But she is not white and she shares her skin color with the characters who are not white.

I must have missed a huge hispanic plotline, when Guts goes to Spain to eat some paella and do some bullfighting.
removed-userJul 1, 2016 3:36 PM
Jul 1, 2016 3:08 PM

Jan 2009
Hongu said:

He's comic relief and a walking/flying med-kit.
and funny enough he actually does prove usefull outside of those roles now and then

Jul 1, 2016 3:09 PM

Mar 2014
Do I need to watch the previous series to watch this?
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.

Jan 2009
fairygood said:
Hongu said:

I'm pretty sure Ishidoro also counts as comic relief most of the time.

Oct 2014
Puck is the strongest!

Reasoning is given here:

Read it now.
Just do it.

Jul 1, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2014
So-Intense said:

Yes you do, but just read the manga, it's Number 1 on MAL ranking for a reason. Even if you don't like reading manga, read the manga for Berserk, trust me
Jul 1, 2016 3:10 PM

Jun 2015
Even Gonzo would do a better job.
Jul 1, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2010
So-Intense said:

you don't need to watch this
Jul 1, 2016 3:12 PM

May 2010
Nycro said:

Even Toei would do a better job HAHAHA
Jul 1, 2016 3:12 PM

Jan 2014
And then I hoped that it will be Sidonia-like CGI (which was phenomenal, if you ask me), but instead we get this Kingdom-like bullcrap.. Ehhh
Jul 1, 2016 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
Benevolance said:
Nycro said:

even Pierrot would make it better lol xD
Jul 1, 2016 3:17 PM

Dec 2014
I really want to see the faces of those responsible for the production of this remake when they test-screening, and I REALLY want to know if they feel any better when they put the original side to side with this unsophisticated piece of work, they might think they've done a great job, or maybe even more insulting is that this is what they'd wanted back in 1996.

Just one more add to the pile of lackluster, underwhelming, pointless remake/reboot/sequel. we need more apparently right?
Jul 1, 2016 3:18 PM

Feb 2016
Is this a ps2 game or anime?
Jul 1, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2014
360AttAck said:
Is this a ps2 game or anime?

It's actually a sneak peak of the new PS1 game that's coming out soon, looks good right
Jul 1, 2016 3:19 PM
Jan 2008
I was prepared to see CGI but not something this pitiful. It really hurts the experience.
Jul 1, 2016 3:19 PM

Dec 2013

when the new video game looks way better than the anime.

i'm not opposed to cg by principle, but just like with traditional animation there's good cg and there's bad. there's series where a cg adaptation fits and those where it really, really doesn't.
Berserk is the latter in both cases.

Even aside from the cg the visuals are just shite.
-the editing is haphazard, there's like three cuts per second at any given time, no matter what the scene is (now i can really see that it's the director of Teekyu).
-there's no regard to color temperature, the coloring is always garish. you have a nighttime scene, but the horses pulling the carriage are super saturated brown, and so on.
-the backgrounds are flat. (the ground is just a texture)
-the stupid shading filter they used got tiring after five minutes.
-some other poster mentioned how everything looks too zoomed in, and i can kind of see that too.
-skeletons have a different texture than everything else and no shading filter (consistency?)

Aside from visuals, it's not great either.
the pacing is really fast, i can't imagine how people who haven't read the manga wouldn't be confused.
the lost children arc seems to be skipped for whatever reason.
Imagine this, the studio gets handed the Berserk anime and they have the chance to FINALLY animate post-Eclipse content and they just start skipping arcs. what the absolute fuck?

being a Berserk fan is suffering.
Jul 1, 2016 3:20 PM

Mar 2016
thepath said:

You hate the anime because of animation, and yet you guys prefer to read manga that has no animation, no voice, no ost and no colors. LOL

I fail to see how people could enjoy lifeless manga more, even if the anime does not have good animation or visuals.

I really do not understand comments like this. Again with the "BETTER THAN NOTHING" crutch we're all tired of... and you act like having to read ourselves is some kind of punishment.

This is why a comic, or hell, even just a book with no pictures, can connect with someone far more than anything else. They can read it how they want, their own voices, their own visualizations, etc.

It's always a disappoint, mostly, when you love a manga and an anime comes out, because it's never quite as *you* picture the voice or how that scene went exactly.

Don't get me wrong, some anime do capture it perfectly, but it's rare.

But comments like this... ugh, just make me shake my head. This is why people are so much dumber these days than ever before. I HAVE TO DO IT MYSELF?

I'm amazed they can even force themselves to read subtitles... and let's be honest here, most western anime fans can't even do that much either.
Don't get me started on English dubs.
CrimsonCWJul 1, 2016 3:28 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 1, 2016 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
Can we please get a real studio to do this?
Jul 1, 2016 3:23 PM

Nov 2013
Oh that CGI...so baaad! Sorry to say but it's even worse than Ajin...which was pretty bad already...I've read the manga thank god...I'm so...very disappointed in the animation itself :( Lindenfilms! Come on! you made the new "Kanojo to kanojo no neko" an epic masterpiece and then this?! Really?!
It will not change my view on the whole story, Guts still kicks ass...good to see/hear Puck though.

I might be too critical here but the whole Guts being unable to sleep/being followed by the demons had a better explanation in the manga.
Jul 1, 2016 3:23 PM

Apr 2016
It was awesome. I can't wait for the rest.
Jul 1, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2016
I have no idea what the hell I just watched..
This is beyond bad..
I tried not to drop any anime but this one is urging to be the first.
Jul 1, 2016 3:25 PM

Oct 2014
DoctorWasabi said:
Benevolance said:

TBH Pierrot with that Tokyo Ghoul level of budget would make Berserk around Hunter x Hunter level.

Is no one bothered with Guts voice? He sounds BORING, probably the worst voice of 2016 along with Dekus voice from BNHA.

Jul 1, 2016 3:26 PM

Mar 2016
Fai said:
Friendly Reminder.

This is Casca:

This is racism:

To be fair, there's an obvious bright light on her (dramatic effect), and if you look closely, you can see that her skin is still noticeably darker than average, in any case.

Hongu said:

I thought Puck's role was, apart from other things, to prevent Guts from completely descending into a pure monster, before the rest of his new team joins.

Rickert even says so in volume 20ish too.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 1, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2014
LordPerucho said:
DoctorWasabi said:

TBH Pierrot with that Tokyo Ghoul level of budget would make Berserk around Hunter x Hunter level.

Is no one bothered with Guts voice? He sounds BORING, probably the worst voice of 2016 along with Dekus voice from BNHA.

Pierrot would make it look nice, but they would butcher the story. But honestly at least it would at least look nice, than seeing this
Pages (20) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Jun 6, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.