Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Dec 25, 2014 7:37 AM

Jun 2014
What a great episode about people taking away from the land and its consequences. How long distance friends still exist without technology, no matter how faraway or how long since they seen each other.

Dec 28, 2014 7:00 AM

Aug 2014
No plot, still awesome. I love this anime.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 8, 2015 1:13 AM
Oct 2013
I would have blamed the relatives for the disaster. What can you do. Time for season two.
Jan 22, 2015 10:43 AM

Jan 2014
They definitely saved one of the best stories for last. Not only did we get backstory on Isaza and slightly more on Ginko, but we also got to see a wonderful friendship develop.
Mar 2, 2015 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
8/10 for me :)
Mar 3, 2015 3:22 PM

Jun 2013
A late bloomer, it got me hooked in around the middle I think. Still a solid series overall, looking forward to its sequel.
Mar 23, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2013
Plate said:
Lister said:
Maybe because it's a slice of life kind of anime, that's why it has an open ending, like "life goes on" or something like that
I'm satisfied with the ending, since i watched many anime with this kind of ending

Although i'd really love to see more of the story between ginko and the one, that women who has ability related to ink?(i forgot), she's cool

It has an open ending simply because the manga is not done yet, the anime ends in the middle of the manga. They didn't just tack an ending on for the sake of closure, I like that.

Indeed, that is the better alternative. Of course, they could have just ended the show earlier and chosen a better episode to end on. This was definitely not planned very well for a final episode, but it's funny to think that "not planned very well" for mushishi is still > the majority of other anime.

I do agree that an open ending seems to fit this type of show as well. However, if you look at shows like Aria or Kino no Tabi, they seem to do a good job of wrapping up each season in an open ended, yet fulfilling fashion. Mushishi kept gettign better and was so consistent, that when this final episode, which may be the weakest imo, came around it just seemed out of place. Definitely not the worst way to end an anime, just not planned very well (unless they specifically meant for the last episode to disappoint audiences...)
Apr 22, 2015 6:07 AM
Nov 2014
GREAT series.. cannot wait to start on the sequels soon.

9/10.
Jun 2, 2015 8:56 PM
May 2015
This didn't feel like an ending to the first season but damn this episode was perfect. This anime is a 10/10 for sure! I would definitely recommend to anybody (even people who don't watch anime)
Jun 5, 2015 8:22 PM

May 2011
Quite beautiful ending.. but not the best episode at all.. just beautiful.
Nice to see young Ginko again *-*

Mushishi is a great anime series at all.. I wanted to drop this like many times because the episodes doesn't seem to have a conection.. like, it works better as separated ones than in a series.. but all episodes are at least very good..
I'll give Mushishi a 10/10 'cause it's different, it's touching, it's scary and it's beautiful.. just great!!
Jun 6, 2015 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
Rating for the episode: 4/5

Rating for the show: 8/10
Jun 13, 2015 8:03 AM

Jun 2012
Not as terrible as I initially thought itd be.
Aug 7, 2015 1:24 AM

Mar 2015
I realllly liked this episode! Glad that his friend remembered him and eventualy helped :)
In every episode of Mushihi, the way of storytelling is amazing. It feels natural how the story progress, and the connection between different parts of the story.

Overall, great series, nothing to say. I'm happy, that there is second season of it, will watch right of the bat!

So 9/10. Best episodic anime that I've seen so far.
"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside of ourselves and our dreams."
Sep 5, 2015 1:15 AM
Feb 2015
I really enjoyed this anime, it was borderline therapeutic for me. 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2015 10:26 PM

Nov 2014
My favorite episode of the season.

Sep 23, 2015 11:13 AM

Jul 2010
It was pretty good but some episodes was not as good as others so I'll give it a 8/10.
Sep 23, 2015 6:05 PM

Aug 2008
Neverender said:
Kayro said:
This didn't feel like a last episode at all, I hope there's a new season coming, in the near future.

Lol, people are too busy blowing money on stupid shit like new seasons of Da Capo.
'
Lol de capo was so bad.

Wow that wrap up at the end though with Ginko meeting him again.
10th_man_down said:
It was pretty good but some episodes was not as good as others so I'll give it a 8/10.

Yeah the quality wasn't always the best. Some weren't as good as others. Mainly some before ep 12.
Sep 28, 2015 8:27 AM

Jan 2014
Mushishi is a masterpiece and will likely always stand as my absolute favorite!

10/10
HiraxApr 27, 2016 11:22 AM
Oct 8, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2012
Beautifully done series,a few weaker episodes here and there but can't recall how many out of the 26.But I'd say majority of them were great,thinking of giving this an 8/10 solely because the few weaker episodes are preventing me from giving this a higher score.

Though idk,the last few episodes were exceptionally strong,so might overlook the weaker episodes and give this a 9/10 cause feel an 8 is underrating this series.
Nov 5, 2015 7:22 PM

Oct 2014
Really love the way each episode ends: A small narration that fades away into the soundtrack and the credits. Such a good way to end a short story and leave you speechless.

8/10
Nov 12, 2015 3:35 AM

Apr 2014
Well, 9/10 for moi. I feel like Mushishi transcends Anime.
Jan 1, 2016 3:53 AM

Dec 2010
I was somehow hoping for Adashino-sensei's backstory. I would have been really depressed if I didn't know there's a follow-up sequel.

1. Characters: +1 | There were many well-fleshed out characters despite their episodic role, some of which I liked better than Ginko himself(Koro being the 1st).
2. Atmosphere: +1 | I can't even recall if there was a single episode with lacking atmosphere. One of the anime's strongest points for sure.
3. OST: +1 | Same as #2, and one of the main reasons the atmosphere was so superb.
4. Animation: +1 | Fitting really well the setting and you just get more and more into it as the episodes pass.
5. Background story: +0.5 | I guess this concerns episode 12 which was 5/5 to me. Maybe a bit more into Ginko's past would still feel nice, who knows?
6. Storyline: +1 | In this case this should concern the stories of each episode, and the while they were never lacking, some of them were downright as good as they can be.
8. Drama: +1 | One of the anime's strongest points, there were many stories involving drama, but some of them were some of the most dramatic(and at times tragic) stories I've encountered.
9. Overall affect: +1 | I was into the anime few episodes in and as episodes passed it became the source of calming and reflecting stories I'd always sit down to hear.
10. Bonus score: +1 | For all the everything mentioned above and for how much I came to like this anime.

(Irrelevant points: 7/Ending)
Overall score: 9/10.
Apr 25, 2016 10:19 PM
Apr 2014
26 episodes and 2 years later...I finished it. I loved it.

It was just so heavy that I had to pace myself, A LOT, when I was watching it. But I loved it, nonetheless. 10/10.
Apr 26, 2016 11:01 PM

Apr 2009
I find this episode the most boring one. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2014
Soooo calming, 10/10

I look forward to season 2 :)
Jun 20, 2016 3:39 AM
Aug 2015
Beautiful series, definitelly one of my favorite animes (if not THE faovorite)...a 10/10 for sure.

Not my first time watching it, and i still enjoy it as much as i did the first time. (:

Unlike others, i think this last episode was very appropriate...
And even though Ginko is a constant in the anime, the main (human) character, i still think he isn't the focus of the anime. The focus are the storys and their meanings, and people seem to not realize or forget that.

I don't think it is the kind of anime to watch all in a row, i prefer to watch one per day *also trying to make the series last longer xD* i always have to stop and let the episode sink in. And i feel that apreciate it much better this way.
Jul 18, 2016 1:39 PM

Sep 2014
Just finished the series. Its simply pure and beautiful. Really an experience which can't be describe by words you have to feel it to understand it.

Feeling really luck to be able to enjoy this rare experience.

Many thanks to the creator and all the cast and crew for making this wonderful anime for all of us to experience and enjoy :)
Aug 24, 2016 1:33 AM

Mar 2012
Awesome rewatch since I understood Ginko and the Mushi much better this time around.

The episode itself wasn't as good as some of the previous ones but it was still nice to see a tiny bit more of Ginko's past, even if he barely had any screen time in this one. Regarding that, I find it an odd choice to make an episode where he's barely shown the last episode of the season. Especially since at the time, there were no plans/announcements of a second season.
Aug 29, 2016 7:44 AM

Jan 2016
Bruh this show went from Boring, to Relaxing to Good to One of my all time favorites and i don't even know how.

This is the first time that i've seen a show from start to finish without skipping the OP. It was that damn good.

9/10 Amazing show.
Oct 5, 2016 7:41 PM

Feb 2009
Fantastic "last" episode. It's great that we got a little bit more of background, not only on Ginko, but on his friend as well. All while being accompanied by another very interesting story. For some reason, I liked seeing the shadow of the "Master" on the water...

It's actually quite reassuring that at this point in time, when I watched Mushishi (2005), there are already new seasons and movies and a whole bunch of episodes with more sweet sweet traveling!! :P

A series I would recommend to anyone appreciative of quality story telling, despite pacing or plot, just like Kino's Journey, another genius anime series for the mind.

9/10 for now, might become a 10 depending if I re-watch it in the future and am still in awe. Happened with Kino's Journey.
Oct 19, 2016 6:10 PM

Mar 2014
Gosh, now that I've finished the series, I'm so conflicted.

All of the episodes, on their own, are well made, well written, and have good directing, but they all tend to follow the same basic story structure and each episode just feels like a re-hash of all of the ones that have come before it, with only some minor differences.

Even waiting weeks, sometimes months in-between episodes, I just couldn't shake this feeling of similarity between them all.

The episodes might not be as drastically similar to each other as something like, say, the endless eight arc from Haruhi Suzumiya... but the similarity that is present between them definitely evokes a similar response of getting worn-down by the repetitive nature of the series.

Even if everything is well made on a technical level and even if all of the stories are well-written on their own, it's still impossible to review the entire series without taking it's repetitive nature into account, and it's definitely a major downfall of the whole thing, as being 26 episodes... this repetition, and the show itself... vastly overstays it's welcome.

If any of these episodes were a standalone film, the hsow would easily get a 9 or a 10 from me... but judging all of the episodes together as a complete package whittles it down to a 7 or an 8.
vigorousjammerOct 19, 2016 6:13 PM
::End of Transmission::

Nov 2, 2016 1:35 PM

May 2010
Definitely my least favorite episode so far.

Overall tho, excellent series. Very calm and tranquil but intense where required. Very strong storytelling. And Ginko is a great character. There were others ranging from less memorable to more. I have a bunch of favorite stories. The rainbow one. The voice one. Bridge one. False spring one--my favorites are mainly these.
The string one was very nice, too. Also the writing one, and the ear one.

Honestly tho, too many great episodes. Mushishi is beautiful. This season was a breathtaking ride so I can't wait to watch the rest of it. Just hope it keeps this slow pace.

10/10
TragicRomanceNov 2, 2016 1:39 PM
Nov 15, 2016 11:04 AM

Nov 2011
Very few shows on the so called MAL top page live to it's billing but this certainly did, one of the best anime i've seen in a very long time and into my favorites list it goes. 9.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 19, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2016
Nice series with beautiful stories and a perfect MC. Definitely a different kind of anime, rather to relax (imo). On the other hand, you must always remain attentive to understand what is going on.

However, it was often too boring for me.
I like the series with more action / comedy / drama a bit more.
Dec 20, 2016 8:25 PM

Aug 2015
I have no words to describe, it's a very cute anime...

Feb 21, 2017 12:10 AM

Dec 2016
Very peaceful ending. This anime is definitely not my cup of tea but interesting stories, amazing soundtrack and visuals, and high quality and complex narrative are gonna make me gave this an overall rating of 8.5/10.
Jun 5, 2017 7:49 PM

May 2013
Last episode was a little weak, but it was still nice.

Not all episodes were equally amazing. Some were hella slow paced. But the stories and creative thoughts that the author put into this series is commendable for sure.

I give it a 8/10 :) Very good. Ginko is definitely a likable character. I love the Nui faces he makes xD cracks me up every single time he's like =.="
Jul 7, 2017 12:38 PM

Jul 2015
I feel bad for delaying to watch this anime for so long. Nice atmosphere, consistently enjoyable episodes, and a great protagonist, totally deserving of its spot in the top page of MAL.

9/10 from my part, season 2 hype!
Aug 7, 2017 12:58 PM

Nov 2016
Absolutely majestic series. Every episode has a creepy feel to it and has both a sad and happy ending. The mushi are a wonderfully interesting phenomena and Ginko is a very likable MC too. I can only give this a 9/10 and is now my 6th favourite anime.
Sep 6, 2017 11:53 PM
Oct 2016
Absolutely fascinating series, 2nd season here I go.
Sep 26, 2017 10:19 PM

Apr 2013
Never would I have thought myself enjoying an episodic series to this extend. Now for the next season.
Dec 25, 2017 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
Nearly four years later, I've returned to witness this master craft unfold once again. My appreciation for Mushishi has deepened exponentially in that time. What started as a bore in 2012 has now transformed to a personal favorite to this day. I ended up watching the director's interview immediately after and he touches on this point a bit. He talks about how if you read/watch Mushishi at different points in your life, you can find new ways to look at it because you're approaching it from a different perspective than last time. While my core feelings for Mushishi remained the same, I could definitely see this in a few specific episodes and it helped to take familiar experiences and turn them into brand new sensations. Nagahama Hiroishi's insight into the series basically sums up my overall thoughts on this re-watch.

This was a great way to build up for Christmas and I may end up saving my re-watch of Zoku Shou for next December as well.

Edit:
Just to add another point, one of the ways I changed my approach to this watch was to randomize the episode order. This definitely made the way I connected the dots take a different shape and, though Mushishi is episodic, gave it a different shade than the last time I saw it.
ZekkenshinDec 25, 2017 1:26 PM
Jan 16, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2016
Gotta say this was one of the nest calming anime out there it's really unique and special this episode kinda started weak but man when they showed that volcano that was epic lesson of this episode never oppose Mother Nature. 9/10
Jan 31, 2018 11:26 AM

Nov 2016
At last! After 3 years of constantly putting this on hold, I've finally finished this show!

Contrary to a lot of people here, I think that the final episode is perfect and very much appropriate to end this season since it manages to tie everything thematically. By not focusing on a single Mushi, we manage to see the overall impact of all of them to the show's world and how interdependent everything is. By not focusing on Ginko, we manage to delve more into the story of the people without the world antagonizing them (since if we focus on Ginko, we focus on the problems that the Mushi brings due to his nature of being a "doctor").

Gin-iro said:

I think it was a perfect last episode. In the end, the mountain had changed, giving a sense that everything changes eventually. That's the nature of life and time. It kinda gives you the feeling that, though Ginko was a good Mushishi, there will be more after him and there will still be more Mushi to be discovered.

The world might not look the same, but they'll still be there. Just like the catfish. ;)

This is what I also took from the ending. When the Koumyakusuji shifted away from the mountains, it implied to me that even though the show ended or "went away", life goes on but the impact it left on the viewers is there. But when Ginko arrives at the end of the episode, it made me feel like, yeah, the show will always be there to refill my longing when I need it just like when Ginko came back to heal the child. It's both a great conclusion and a good tease for the next season.

This show is really something. It really did manage to live up to my expectations. From its gorgeous painterly backgrounds, the reserved but expressive animation, amazing shot compositions, realistic and somewhat-muted object sounds, soothing ASMR-like voice dubbing, astounding OST, and brilliant writing and direction, this show really solidified itself into one of my favorites. I somewhat hated this show for managing to create an extremely solid plot structure that makes it hard for me to criticize and hate. But nevermind that. I love this show. 10/10
KiritoBestGurlJan 31, 2018 11:57 AM
Mar 11, 2018 6:09 PM

May 2017
Great anime, I love Ginko and all those interesting storys he came across as a Mushishi.

I accidently skipped the episode with Nui and Ginkos past. It was kinda wierd to see his past revealed at the very last episode lol

So many well written episodes...Thanks Mushishi.

Dec 8, 2018 3:15 PM

Mar 2016
There are some incredible little stories here and there, and some which are only okay, though none are bad.
There's fragile beauty to be found here, and subtle emotions. The heartwarming stories were the most impactful.

I can appreciate the slow and irregular development of ideas and concepts as the show moves on, and how it only felt complete on a thematic level once the last episode finished (obviously wasn't expecting it to close up the narrative). I want to say I like this a ton conceptually, but as in-the-moment entertainment, I like it a tiny bit less, though it was a delightful watch.

Something that would have appealed to me personally would be one or two episodes that didn't feature any mushi, with perhaps Ginko interacting with people in a different way or just making his way around, something to act as space between some of the more similar stories and build up a sense of 'wanderlust' (which I honestly thought would be more pronounced). But that's probably just me.

Better than the sum of its parts.
syncrogazerDec 9, 2018 8:15 AM
Feb 7, 2019 10:13 AM
May 2008
Anyone know around which part of japan this takes place? I don't know japan very well but I guess the nature and cultural things should give a general idea for anyone who knows japan better.

Also, what are the pot hangers called that you see in almost every house in the series?
Mar 6, 2019 1:40 AM

May 2016
It definitely would've been better if I took this series a bit more slowly so I could appreciate the many lovely details and themes in every episode more meaningfully but I enjoyed this a lot throughout my watch. It sure help me feel relaxed in the middle of all the worries for impending exams and projects and it also helped me make up for all the missed sleep I've been getting on the way as an unintentional result.

Liked it very much~ Wonder what the other seasons will be like...

Mar 14, 2019 3:28 PM

Apr 2016
Well, that wraps up Mushishi. As a series, it did it's job at covering the various aspects of nature that mushi exist in. The idea of mushi was unique and very similar to that of spirits, or youkai, which is rarely seen in anime. Though there are a few points that, to me, didn't make this series quite a masterpiece. One of them being the severe lack of character development, and no, we hardly learned anything about Ginko despite him being the supposed 'main character'. Given, there were a few episodes that briefly, and I mean briefly, covered the various parts of his past. Subjectively, this was my biggest gripe of the series, along with the episodic nature which is really just personal preference.

Though, this series definitely just wasn't a snooze-fest. The stories of different mushi captivated me and most importantly, kept me engaged. In the end, I might just have been a stickler for the exceedingly realistic nature of the anime. But who knows. Thanks for giving me a good time, Mushishi.
Mar 20, 2019 1:07 PM

Dec 2018
I can't believe the final episode actually ended up being one of the weaker ones lmao.

Overall this series was incredible. A few drags here and there, but most of the story telling and themes were some of the most captivating I have seen. The imagery used throughout this show was so awe-inspiring, and every single episode was entirely unique. The amount of times I replayed a scene to relive an image or description was more than any other anime I have seen. I'm usually not a fan of episodic series, and Mushishi has singlehandedly changed my mind. Among the best I have seen 9/10.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.