Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 7, 2019 12:10 PM

May 2009
yosi_kasi said:
Ishigami Shizuka (voice actress) plays two characters in this season.

VINLAND SAGA

HOW HEAVY ARE THE DUMBBELLS YOU LIFT?

She also voices triplets assistants of Hibana in Fire Force.
Aug 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Dec 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
shane_nichols said:
That's how wit always does it. Take the ocean scene for example. That Mikasa smile was bittersweet. Alot of anime just EXPLAIN what they're doing with blank faces. Jc staff for example

I might be crushing your one-dimensional party here, but these faces, both you reference, Thorfin and Mikasa, are one-page drawings. The animation has nothing to do with it, they way they were drawn by the original creator. See, if you praise something for nothing, knowledgeable people get angery.

That's not what I'm talking about. In manga, a character is ALWAYS still, even if there are motion indicators or blur effects, the person in that panel is never moving, thus making them unable to ever fully imitate how things in real life. The creator of Vinland Saga, Yukimura Makoto, did design Thorfinn, but he can never make Thorfinn move or imitate life because he isn't an animater. Notice how I said the body language helped convey what a character is thinking, not specifically the face. The way Wit Studio animates muscle tension, draws portions, makes a character trembles, etc. all help better convey how a character is feeling, all because they are moving like a real person. I was just praising some amazing animation, not just praising nothing. As an artist myself, I know the time and dedication it takes to just make a character/scene look good. Wit Studio simply has excellant art.
Aug 7, 2019 1:43 PM
Apr 2016
COOKIECAT360 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I might be crushing your one-dimensional party here, but these faces, both you reference, Thorfin and Mikasa, are one-page drawings. The animation has nothing to do with it, they way they were drawn by the original creator. See, if you praise something for nothing, knowledgeable people get angery.

That's not what I'm talking about. In manga, a character is ALWAYS still, even if there are motion indicators or blur effects, the person in that panel is never moving, thus making them unable to ever fully imitate how things in real life. The creator of Vinland Saga, Yukimura Makoto, did design Thorfinn, but he can never make Thorfinn move or imitate life because he isn't an animater. Notice how I said the body language helped convey what a character is thinking, not specifically the face. The way Wit Studio animates muscle tension, draws portions, makes a character trembles, etc. all help better convey how a character is feeling, all because they are moving like a real person. I was just praising some amazing animation, not just praising nothing. As an artist myself, I know the time and dedication it takes to just make a character/scene look good. Wit Studio simply has excellant art.

I will not be even trying to contest that. For various reasons.
Re:formed
Aug 7, 2019 3:30 PM
Apr 2019
I can't believe this masterpiece episode is filler
Aug 7, 2019 3:50 PM
Dec 2018
what does this show trying to be? if its an historical show how he can break ships with his sword and if its a fantasy show why not go all the way and make it more about the norse mythology rather then make it a pseudo historical show with things that dont make any sense. i would love to see a norse mythology show instead of this boardom
Aug 7, 2019 5:26 PM

Jan 2019
IRON_FIST1984 said:
what does this show trying to be? if its an historical show how he can break ships with his sword and if its a fantasy show why not go all the way and make it more about the norse mythology rather then make it a pseudo historical show with things that dont make any sense. i would love to see a norse mythology show instead of this boardom

Everything you said is wrong. It's historical FICTION, historical shows are documentaries. Historical fiction on the other hand can take creative approaches to make things more compelling. Does this make it lose it's historical setting? No. Have you payed attention to anything in this show and their historical implications and setting, or have you just been nitpicking the unrealistic parts that are for the sake of fiction? For goodness sake, some of the characters are based off real life Vikings during that period. It also seems like you haven't even watched this episode yet either.
Aug 7, 2019 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
Brilliant episode. It perfectly shows high quality standards that this anime has. A great animation can show emotions and feelings of its characters without any need for them to speak a word. Just pure expression of their faces, the mood and music that doesn't have to be epic. Minimalistic tunes chosen right for certain scenes, epic ones for scenes that are meant to be like that.

Poor Ylva chose to overwork herself to try to deal with her father's death, trying to act tough, but feeling pain inside. Thorfinn had even worse situation. He was a direct witness to Thors' death, then he moved all alone on his own to a land he doesn't know with people responsible for his father's death. He had to grow up immediately and learn everything to be self-efficient.

It was painful to watch Thorfinn being treated like a trash. He is only a child, yet they kicked him and laughed at him because he was utterly sad while mourning his father's death, which is completely normal, yet more tragic if we look at Thorfinn's current situation.
Aug 7, 2019 7:24 PM

Mar 2019
Best episode by far...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Aug 8, 2019 5:04 AM

Jun 2014
supernicolasman said:
I really didn't like the kid for the first 3 episodes, i found him way too prideful and annoying particularly towards his father.
But this episode, oh my god, it's the best anime episode i've seen since attack on titan easily.
It's easily the best episode of the show as the kid goes from an annoyance to one of my top 3 favorite characters in a instant.

I think the relationship between him and his dad's killer as well as the one who held him at knife point looks so interesting so i can't wait to see the rest.

The return home was a tad weird though as it really didn't feel like the father died, i'm used to huge tears but none here.
I feel like the no huge tears is more realistic. I know a lot of people deal with loss differently especially when you already expect it, don't wanna lose face and/or need to lead the family. Very relatable to me at least.
Aug 8, 2019 5:47 AM
Feb 2018
ByonKun said:
supernicolasman said:
I really didn't like the kid for the first 3 episodes, i found him way too prideful and annoying particularly towards his father.
But this episode, oh my god, it's the best anime episode i've seen since attack on titan easily.
It's easily the best episode of the show as the kid goes from an annoyance to one of my top 3 favorite characters in a instant.

I think the relationship between him and his dad's killer as well as the one who held him at knife point looks so interesting so i can't wait to see the rest.

The return home was a tad weird though as it really didn't feel like the father died, i'm used to huge tears but none here.
I feel like the no huge tears is more realistic. I know a lot of people deal with loss differently especially when you already expect it, don't wanna lose face and/or need to lead the family. Very relatable to me at least.

I know it's realistic but I didn't feel myself the sadness of such a huge character dying, how the news was delivered and such, it didn't feel as powerful as thorfinn journey's or his father's death in the previous episode.

I think they maybe should have added more music or something but the way the news was delivered with the fact that the son disappeared as well, it was just kind of awkward and didn't feel sad at all.
Aug 8, 2019 9:55 AM
Jul 2019
I'm depressed by Thors
Aug 8, 2019 10:12 AM
Jan 2019
Poor thorfinn ;-;
Aug 8, 2019 10:13 AM
Feb 2019
Seygneur said:
Archer123 said:
trust me thorfinn isn't a hero at all

Let me guess another chad- anti hero? Guess I will need to read the manga in a couple of days.

i think we don't have many chad anti-hero MCs, it's rare, and i also think it's very difficult to make such an anti-hero protagonist.
Aug 8, 2019 10:39 AM
Feb 2019
I was surprised to know that this episode is anime-original, because it was very good!
Actually, it’s my favorite episode so far.
The scenery was so gorgeous, absolutely breathtaking!!

I just love Thorfinn, and I loved how he refused to kill Askeladd while he’s asleep.. that was amazing from him, what he said!

And I also starting to like Askeladd, he seems very interesting.

It was really good to see how Thorfinn deals with his new life, although it’s very sad, especially when Askeladd was hitting him ☹ I almost cried.
Definitely, the anime of the season, WIT is doing a great job and the story is so good.
Aug 8, 2019 1:14 PM

Jun 2015
Really hope they don't run out of budget for this one. Very promising adaptation.
Aug 8, 2019 2:03 PM

Dec 2016
Ahh i like this anime, really good episode 5/5
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Aug 8, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2018
Thorfinn pushing on life having to cope with Thor's death. Thorfinn has to improve his sword skills tho to fight Askeladd
Aug 8, 2019 3:14 PM

Apr 2016
Nice episode. I like it.
Aug 8, 2019 8:02 PM

Aug 2015
Both Thorfinn and Ylva are so strong in their wills to survive... watching them makes me love them both more and more.
Aug 8, 2019 11:28 PM
Feb 2016
lekrn said:
What I don't understand is how they're fine with raping, beating and killing someone's mother for fun but don't want to kill some kid who wants to murder them.

He doesn't want to murder "them" - he just wants to kill Askeladd.

They didn't murder him out of respect for Thors and Thorfinn was as harmful as a flee. Whereas Askeladd told his men that everyone in the village had to die or else they would have an army knocking at their front door.

Thorfinn would be infinitely more useful to them than a mother ever could be since he could be trained and honed to fight for them and bolster their ranks.
Aug 8, 2019 11:41 PM
Aug 2019
lekrn said:
What I don't understand is how they're fine with raping, beating and killing someone's mother for fun but don't want to kill some kid who wants to murder them.

The show kinda gives you the answer to this. They were in England, the land of their enemies - christian folk they hate. Thorfinn on the other hand is a viking, one of their kind. Not to mention, some of them acknowledged Thors (like Bjorn or Askeladd himself), so it's obvious that his son would be kinda interesting to them.
Aug 9, 2019 4:15 AM
May 2019
Ylva is perfect, my new fav :D
The sceneries were also beautiful.
Aug 9, 2019 5:02 AM

Feb 2018
This anime will be good the new Attack on Titan, im hyped, it has a good direction.
Aug 9, 2019 11:48 AM
Jun 2011
Kemiari said:
This anime will be good the new Attack on Titan, im hyped, it has a good direction.

It's only going to be better from this point on (I've read the manga).
Aug 9, 2019 12:38 PM

Feb 2010
COOKIECAT360 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I agree that Wit is going a great job with the series, but all that can by achieved by talented artist on manga/comic pages as well. Kentaro Miura is a prime example of masterful visual storyteller and Yukimura's pages in Vinland are no joke either.
Aug 9, 2019 4:00 PM

Oct 2018
bastek66 said:
yosi_kasi said:
Ishigami Shizuka (voice actress) plays two characters in this season.

VINLAND SAGA

HOW HEAVY ARE THE DUMBBELLS YOU LIFT?

When he grows up will it be a new voice actor?

Aug 10, 2019 4:37 AM

Feb 2019
Mila91 said:
bastek66 said:

Yes, teen Thorfinn will be voice by Yuuto Uemura (Atsushi from Stray dogs).
Aug 10, 2019 10:30 AM

Feb 2019
Correct me if I am wrong: is filler not a negative term wherein the animators are not able to produce more of the canon story, due to any number of circumstances, and as a result come up with an episode that is generally irrelevant to the plot, poor in quality, and only there to fill the airing time slot? A good example is the episode of Goku and Piccolo in Dragonball Z learning to drive cars or what felt like the entire first season of Rurouni Kenshin.

This episode of Vinland Saga is clearly not filler in that sense. The story has already been charted (at least it feels that way) and we are not wasting time on nonsensical side-stories. I assume most of this show is already finished but I cannot find anything to prove that claim currently.
Aug 10, 2019 11:05 AM

Oct 2018
mainavi said:
Mila91 said:

Thanks mainavi, I haven't seen Stray Dogs yet but its on my "plan to watch" list :)

Aug 10, 2019 11:16 AM

Feb 2019
Mila91 said:
mainavi said:

Thanks mainavi, I haven't seen Stray Dogs yet but its on my "plan to watch" list :)

Ur very much welcome. Stray dogs is good esp. season 1 and 2, S3 is just not the same level of S1 and S2. But give it a try u won't be disappointed.
Aug 10, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2018
@mainavi I started The Count Of Monte Cristo and Its really good, but I will check out Stray Dogs soon, can't wait to watch next episode of Vinland Saga it's so amazing.

Aug 10, 2019 11:43 AM
Jan 2019
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's hard to watch Thorfinn depressed like this :(

Seems this anime continues to show the hardship of survival and being in a world of uncertainity. Very understandable how Thorfinn feels after his loss though. He has to do what he can now to survive. His skills with a sword needs improvement though.
hi I know this is out of the subject but can you like recommende me an Anime like I WAched so many, and I can't find more, and my problem is that I can't watch an Anime if it's not dubbed cuz it is a long story but I have eyes problems so I can't read well in the screen, so please need recommendations
☺️
Aug 10, 2019 3:19 PM

Feb 2019
Mila91 said:
@mainavi I started The Count Of Monte Cristo and Its really good, but I will check out Stray Dogs soon, can't wait to watch next episode of Vinland Saga it's so amazing.

Ohh...I need to remind myself about watching count of monte cristo, I`ve been planning to watch it but can`t find time to do so. :)

Same here, episode 6 is half anime original half manga chapter, saw the summary of it at vinland saga official site.
Aug 11, 2019 2:44 AM

May 2015
I'm volontuer to be Ylva husband. Any time. :P
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 11, 2019 3:30 AM
Jul 2019
I bet teen Thorfinn gonna make some anime watcher hate him. I'll clearly see that in this forum. Im waiting for it :D
Aug 11, 2019 7:24 AM
Feb 2018

I felt a little conflicted about some of the choices this episode, but the script could easily be transferred to a BBC period drama and it would still be great. Amazing writing, and so much expressed through action and expressions rather than words.

Daniel_Naumov said:
Well, if anything, this series makes medieval surviving of an underage kid look extremely... successful. I would be actually amazed, if it was not such a nonsense. But let us see, maybe there will be just one realistic moment...

Here's a realism point where I agree with you! I think we underestimate how difficult surviving in the wilderness is, and for a 6 year old- forget it. I wish he had been a little older, 10 or so, and they foreshadowed his abilities by having Thors or Ylva take him out hunting and maybe casually mention some survival tips.

I enjoyed seeing his interactions with his enemies. They just think he's a funny nuisance, but has guts for a kid, so they let him live. So he doesn't have to flee them and hovers around near them. It was pretty generous of Askeladd to offer him a proper duel, and shows he respects him.

I didn't know this the studio that did Attack on Titan, but I thought Thorfinn looked really familiar. I really like the more realistic designs of the female characters- from the flashback we learn that Ylva is only 15, and yet no saucer eyes! She also appears to have inherited her dad's strength and brawn. Lol at Ylva spearing a whale the day she learns about her dad's death. I hope she stays a main character.

Aug 11, 2019 10:12 PM

Oct 2008
i feel sad and pity those village fodders!
Thorfinn should just be a warrior and after he kills Askeladd, he must hunt all savages specifically to the ones who nonchalantly attacking any villages without regard...That's the perfect job for him!
5/5.
matias067Aug 11, 2019 10:15 PM

Aug 12, 2019 1:59 PM

Dec 2013
This is looking like the seasons best show so far! I how fluid the animation is, hope it can keep up this quality.
Aug 12, 2019 8:45 PM

May 2019
Can anyone help me to remember where i've seen this kind of plot before?

- kid see his father be killed and is raised in a harsh way by the killer.

- after become strong, grown kid manage to revenge, but then discovers that already developed respect/gratitude by the killer who replaced his father.

I don't know if the history is going this way (i don't want to read the manga now), but anyway, it is looking similar, and i'm sure this is a famous story from somewhere in fiction/fantasy.
Aug 20, 2019 11:24 PM

Jul 2016
So... Leif and co. actually went back to Iceland without noticing the only kid in their group was missing...

OK episode overall. Wasn't really that great if I'm honest. The used of the BGM was quite well tho.
Aug 28, 2019 8:18 AM

Aug 2016
If this doesn't end up Thorfinn being in Askaald band till he achieve great victories after his flag before they will get another duel... I will be seriously dissapointed. Golden age vibes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2019 12:39 AM
Jan 2019
it's like you let a demon in your house
I feel sorry for the kid and those innocent people in this anime well it's true it happened in the past or in the history but I guess it happened even right now
well all I can do is to be ignored that led me to my downfall
the barbarians is so brutal
Oct 13, 2019 11:20 AM
Apr 2019
Askeladd is pushing Thorfinn to the dark side.
Nov 2, 2019 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
I'm getting the Ace and Whitebeard vibe with Thorfinn and Askellad. Didn't Ace tried countless times to kill Whitebeard but in the end he joined his crew?
Nov 18, 2019 1:41 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This man, Askeladd is very different, he is unordinary, hard to read, unpredictable, he kind of reminds me of Shogo Makishima
from Pyscho-Pass, the man that tricks even the formidable Sibyl system.
Nov 18, 2019 1:43 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
PrimeX said:
I'm getting the Ace and Whitebeard vibe with Thorfinn and Askellad. Didn't Ace tried countless times to kill Whitebeard but in the end he joined his crew?

Damn, how did I miss that? Thors' death also reminded me of Whitebeard's.
Dec 7, 2019 10:45 AM

Aug 2017
Wait, is this an anime-original episode? It was really good!

That kid is having a hard time here.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 24, 2019 5:41 PM

Dec 2015
These episodes are pretty great yo. Love it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 10, 2020 8:51 AM

Mar 2015
Poor Thorfinn, it's only natural for him to act like this. Hopefully this spurs him on to getting stronger!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 11, 2020 2:46 PM

Feb 2016
Damn wife and daughter reaction rly anticlimactic. Would have expected them to get more screen time. I mean, husband&son / father&brother suddenly die/disappear after all...
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

814 by katnissdawn »»
Sep 18, 5:25 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

262 by Ronin_Alx »»
Sep 17, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

410 by Mglasses »»
Sep 10, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

356 by siluthfi_ »»
Sep 5, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by Artromex »»
Aug 14, 6:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.