Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 13, 2015 2:28 PM

May 2015
keiwa11 said:
Great episode again.
Leo really has luck with kidnappers.
6 episodes left.

Knowing there are only six episodes left really makes me sad almost as much as this episode did. Definitely going to buy the box set when it's available and hope for a movie or second season.

May 13, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2014
An OK episode for me. I hope the show will pick up the speed again next time (though it doesn't look like it from the PV). I prefer my Kekkai Sensen big and loud. This ep was too feeley, and forcefully so. Also I dislike the slightly didactical handling of the topic of discrimination. The one human-only district doesn't seem so terrible to me, considering that humans didn't ask for the invasion of the alterworld, and Nej was acting stupid (but yeah, he is a kid). Or, if the discrimination of alterworlders by humans is a serious business, burgers and quick friendship shouldn't be the central topics.

And I appreciated that they showed more non-humanoid aliens at the background this time. Nejs's design though... Seriously, he is a mushroom with a vagina for mouth. Well... Fine. But why aren't there any attractive or at least non pulp-fiction like races among the alterworlders?.. You know, just for the sake of diversity. I don't think that vampires count, since they're something different for both sides. Again, it's good that they didn't use an alien with tits or a mystical loli, but vagina for mouth was an overkill in my opinion.

In short, this seems like the breather episode for the writer. It wasn't bad though. This show is very easy to watch, even in the moments it is not exactly brilliant.
deadoptimistMay 13, 2015 4:40 PM
May 13, 2015 6:04 PM

May 2013
Poor Nej. Poor Leo. Truck drivers are dicks. Damn, he forgot the last two weeks.
"Are cheeseburgers... supposed to bring me to tears like this?" No. (T_T)

At least Black makes an official introduction. Freakin' vampire and King of Despair.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
May 13, 2015 8:04 PM

Jul 2009
Finally watched the episode ... didn't really LOVE it, but it was still good. The friendship between Leonardo and Nej was pretty sweet. So cute how they always got burgers together ... until those truck drivers got super mad and beat him up and then HE RELEASES AMNESIA SPORES O_O Guess that explains the thing with his mother ... I really didn't expect them to kidnap them and try again ... well, we all saw what happened when he got mad huh? Super bomb! :P So turns out Leo forgot everything but hey, seems like they met again and are probably gonna become friends again ... all worked out in the end :3
Didn't expect that at the end ... so "Black" is White's brother? O_O I did NOT see that coming ... oh and, Vivaldi being hummed in the preview lol XD Oh and the soundtrack for the beginning and end was FANTASTIC! Man this show has some good music (I know I've said it before but still!) :P
May 14, 2015 2:43 AM

Jun 2013
Man this episode was freaking awesome and all but what was the point of it? Besides the last part where Leo meets Black. I'm not hating on it or anything but why the whole burger episode

Anyways it got me real good, when he remember all their fun burger times together D:
May 14, 2015 5:43 AM

Jul 2013
lucidbrandon said:
Man this episode was freaking awesome and all but what was the point of it? Besides the last part where Leo meets Black. I'm not hating on it or anything but why the whole burger episode

Anyways it got me real good, when he remember all their fun burger times together D:

Because who doesn't like burger?

j/k

who knows, maybe Nej would become an important character. I mean last episode with that crazy chick and that monster-human dude was pretty random too but they'd most likely be there at the last battle. Maybe Nej's ability would be crucial to defeat Black somehow.
May 14, 2015 12:56 PM

Apr 2015
the feels when Leo got beaten ;____;
I wonder if white is also a vampire.
Leo has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen<3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2015 1:03 PM

Dec 2010
Brilliant episode...an amazing ride so far..
Mim
May 14, 2015 4:41 PM

Dec 2014
I wonder if Black is going to be a villain or a neutral factor. I know that is an acquaintance of Fernt, but I don't know if they are rlly working w/ each other. Also I am hyped up for MMA Klaus, the preview was hilarious (at least the background "music")
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2015 12:22 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, this was the best episode so far...also the first one I really understood what was happening. With all those crazy antics in this show it's hard to keep track of everything, but this episode followed a rather simple and yet - very effective formula.

This episode reminded me of some of Space Dandy's episodes, making you cry over food :)
May 15, 2015 3:04 AM

Nov 2004
OMG... the feels in that episode was almost too much for me. The assholes who beat up Nej.... I really thought he was gonna die and it would have been too depressing for me. I'm glad it was wrapped up in a positive manner.
May 15, 2015 3:34 AM

Mar 2012
lucidbrandon said:

I think the whole point of this episode was that the nethers aren't that much different than normal humans, but they aren't on the best of terms because the humans aren't the most accepting of them since I'm sure the humans feel like the nethers are "invading their space." It's the same sort of mentality racists have when someone of a different race or culture moves into your neighborhood. However, what I feel this episode represents is that even though humans commit atrocities, there is an inherent good in people if they can just give each other a chance.

I think what the truck drivers were representing people that take advantage of others because of some sort of superiority or control mechanism. Let's take slavery for example and I'll use a super obvious example relative to Americans, but I have to since I can't assume everyone on here is from the United States. Before the 20th century, African slave labor was the norm in the U.S., where colonial whites took advantage of African slave labor to many farm jobs. It was common practice for slaves to get whipped and beaten, even in some cases for no apparent reason. The system was essentially colonial whites taking advantage of slave labor because they had a position of control and superiority at the time.

*Note* When I say superiority, I'm not talking about racial superiority. I'm talking about societal and political superiority. There is no such thing as a superior/inferior race of people.

In terms of why this episode exists, I think is to do some society/setting development. Now that I think about it, before this episode, there hasn't been much discussion about how this society functions after the nethers came to New York. It's just been a whole bunch of nethers came to New York, nethers and humans co-exist, nethers a string of crimes, wash/rinse/repeat.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic episode that addressed a few societal issues...and it's strange to see it an anime from Japan, which is a country that is rather isolated culturally. While this statement might be a bit presumptuous, I think the creators were trying to address an issue to Japanese people here. I thought this was the best episode out of the series so far and I actually personally teared up a little bit when Leonardo took a bite of that cheeseburger and fragments of his memories started coming back to him. It's pretty amazing how the senses can "jog" memories, even if you don't remember every detail of that memory.
May 15, 2015 5:29 AM
Oct 2013
anderkent said:
That song around 8:30->9:50

Best segment ever. I love this.
May 15, 2015 7:05 AM
Apr 2015
I'd just like to say that every episode of Kekkai Sensen is brilliant.
May 15, 2015 7:14 AM
Oct 2013
"Are cheeseburgers...supposed to bring me tears like these?"

This line made me cry like a child. And I was like...are anime's...supposed to bring me tears like these?
May 15, 2015 11:16 AM

Dec 2014
I really love this series and all the randomness. That little spore mushroom was so cute ^-^
May 15, 2015 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
ChickenFry said:
I'm sorry but this is AOTS.
I'll say the same thing and not be sorry about it.
May 16, 2015 7:25 PM

Jul 2010
Yet another brilliant episode. A beautiful and touching story there, quite brutal though, but it's incredible how can they turn almost everything to comedy but it leaves you that bitter and unease feeling. It's pretty particular, not many shows can make you feel this way.
May 16, 2015 7:34 PM

Sep 2011
I love how he pulled a Aikuro

May 17, 2015 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
Was I the only one crying during this episode? This whole scene with beating Nej in this truck, and the ending... :c
May 17, 2015 7:26 PM

Mar 2013
Nej ;-;
May 18, 2015 8:32 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I never thought I'd cry so much over a talking, walking dick mushroom.
I don't even care if this episode ends up being mostly filler-- though I feel that it still revealed a lot as others have mentioned.
I wonder if the drivers or whatever they were involved in are going to play a deeper role though.
LeoxNeji is my ship of this season.
Still tearing up. Why? I am weak. I won't last through the winter.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 20, 2015 5:12 PM

Mar 2009
Fantastic episode. Probably my favorite one. It even had a Cowboy Bebop feel to it.
May 22, 2015 8:42 AM

Oct 2013
Amagranoff Luozontam Ouv Lee Nej or Nej was cute. :3

So Black formally introduced himself as White's brother to Leo.
May 22, 2015 5:28 PM

Nov 2007
This anime is effing Gold.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 22, 2015 5:56 PM
Jan 2009
Dimsheep said:
keiwa11 said:
Great episode again.
Leo really has luck with kidnappers.
6 episodes left.

Knowing there are only six episodes left really makes me sad almost as much as this episode did. Definitely going to buy the box set when it's available and hope for a movie or second season.

ORR
ORRRRRR
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR

buy the manga

it's really fucking good
May 22, 2015 11:47 PM

May 2014
Awwww... What a sweet episode <3 I actually cried when watching this episode.... I can't hold all these feels...

May 24, 2015 3:54 AM
Jan 2015
ASking because I can't find it no matter what...

Does anyone know what the music is at the end where Nej explodes the second times, and Leo gets involved as well, continues until Leo wakes up and talks

lyrics kind of like..
- don't go pleading. let it wash away as sweetest part of life
-So live On my own, ???? baby we have got to stop this ???
May 24, 2015 6:10 AM

Dec 2010
Not as a crazy episode this time, but I can bear with this once in a while.
May 28, 2015 8:55 PM

Oct 2007
Go home chopper you're drunk.
May 29, 2015 4:02 AM
Mar 2012
How can mushroom friendship story be so cute?
Burgers are tearjerkers. Craving some good burgers now.
Jun 1, 2015 9:00 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, that was so ridiculously heartwarming. Who'd have thought a talking midget mushroom head alien thing could make me so emotional. What I really liked the most about this episode is that although Leo and Nej don't ever end up remembering each other, they've been led to the beginning of a new friendship because of their experiences together.
Jun 2, 2015 8:43 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, finally an enjoyable episode! This was a pleasant surprise. Probably the first one I call say was genuinely fun.

I've decided to keep on watching this because I don't like to drop series. Most of the previous episodes just looked like a whole bunch of supposedly cool stuff put together, but too shallow for my taste. In other words, not boring but not interesting either for the most part. This episode was top notch though!

I hope the next ones are as good as this... I'm sure the lack of an overarching plot won't bother me that much anymore if that happens. Not getting my hopes up yet, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
FlamepriesTJun 2, 2015 8:47 PM
Jun 3, 2015 7:29 PM

Apr 2015
God this episode was a real tearjerker. Thought someone was making onions near my room. I love Nej, hope he comes out again! The guy really didn't deserve that beating... it's great that the two met again (and I assume they started their relationship again).

That soundtrack really worked well in this episode. Hope it's released so I can listen to it again!
Jun 4, 2015 3:46 PM

Jul 2009
A touching episode! Nice music playing in the background.

Nej <3
Jun 6, 2015 2:04 PM

Nov 2014
The Feels!

Jun 10, 2015 7:07 AM
May 2015
I loved this so much!
Jun 12, 2015 10:28 PM

May 2015
hahah great episode as always, and great ost as always
Jun 17, 2015 5:35 PM

Apr 2014
Goddamn what a powerful episode. This story with Nej doesn't contribute to the main plot (or at least, that's what I can tell so far in this series), but I found this to be one of the best episodes yet. Definitely a personal favorite. I loved how they integrated the issue of difference between humans and those from the alterworld into this touching story of Nej and Leo's friendship. What made it even better was how brutal the series portrayed (certain) humans. Because we are humans ourselves, most people would side with the same species rather than sympathize with those from the alterworld (even though they are fictional), but in this episode the audience is made to behave in the opposite manner.

I totally teared up when Nej said he wouldn't forget Leo. From the beginning down to the ending, I loved it. I was so relieved they ended up meeting again.
Jun 17, 2015 9:47 PM

Dec 2013
A somewhat slower episode but still very nice. Poor Nej.
Jun 20, 2015 7:14 PM
Mar 2009
Friendship builds off diabetes, kids, remember that! I couldn't really take Nej seriously with his vagina face till the end, when he decides to explode to save Leo. Though it looks like they'll be just fine and do the same shit all over again.

This anime's OST though. Goddamn, you don't always get a show with jazzy blues that works.

Soooo, does this make White one of those Elder Vampire things now? Minus Leo's backpedaling (nice job bro, way to ruin the mood you had going after the movie date), I'm pretty sure Libra wants to wipe them all out.
Jun 21, 2015 12:02 PM
Feb 2015
Wow another great episode. I'm so sad that nej and Leo forgot about each other D: brought me to tears T_T

In the end Leo met with black, I wonder what that guy is up to
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jun 25, 2015 12:29 PM
Aug 2014
This episode almost made me cry! Nej was just too cute; sad that the mixing of all those races still leaves some people being very intolerant.
Jul 3, 2015 5:13 PM

Aug 2012
Almost cried, almost !
Jul 4, 2015 4:47 PM
Jan 2015
This was so heartwarming but also sad...
My favorite episode so far.
Jul 10, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
Best episode so far in the series, very touching and explores the world and how people interact really well.

Barion-Zara said:

Nej was really cute for some reason :3 Was that Chopper's VA?

It was most definitely, he became especially more cute cause of it.
Jul 10, 2015 1:29 PM

Mar 2014
This episode was amazing. Great depiction on how humans can become monsters themselves, especially in contrast with the Alterworld "citizens".

Also, Nej was just adorable.
Jul 12, 2015 4:58 AM

Mar 2008
Did anyone think this was an evolved Nej at first?

Really enjoyable episode. Mushroom Ootani was powerfully huggable.
Jul 29, 2015 7:45 AM

Feb 2010
Brutal bat scene gave me intense feels ;-;

That Trigun reference tho...
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

358 by sammiiiiii »»
Aug 17, 4:52 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2015

299 by Alkimia »»
Aug 10, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

347 by Saverpengu »»
May 28, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2015

258 by bucciest »»
Apr 20, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2015

196 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 18, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.