Forum Settings
Forums

Moe is not going to kill the anime you like

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 20, 2016 5:21 PM

Apr 2016
Haven't watched moe yet, i hope it's just more sexy minors though.
Apr 20, 2016 5:23 PM

Feb 2013
Dementedkaliber said:
sorry to dissapoint m7, but she's actually a 300 years old immortal cartoon loli
Apr 20, 2016 5:34 PM

Apr 2016
romagia said:
Dementedkaliber said:
sorry to dissapoint m7, but she's actually a 300 years old immortal cartoon loli

Sorry if i mislead u. I actually meant small petite bodies with smooth skin, flat chest, and no pubic hair. I actually don't care about age at all.

Bonus points if pale skin, innocent or perverse (an extreme basically), high pitched soft voice, vampire, my little sister.
Apr 20, 2016 5:36 PM

Feb 2012
I really like and agree with everything that Goombah said. Brought up stronger pts than akidearest imo.
Apr 20, 2016 5:42 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Nico- said:
Seasonal anime these past few seasons isn't even 100% moe compared to popular belief lol

I think only the people who wants moe to disappear and only want ''badass'' and ''mature'' anime says that.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 20, 2016 5:45 PM
Feb 2014
DatRandomDude said:
Nico- said:
Seasonal anime these past few seasons isn't even 100% moe compared to popular belief lol

I think only the people who wants moe to disappear and only want ''badass'' and ''mature'' anime says that.

Not to mention there's far less moe than the over-recycled edgy superpower teenage harem stuff that I actually think is more of the problem.
Apr 20, 2016 5:48 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Nico- said:
DatRandomDude said:

Not to mention there's far less moe than the over-recycled edgy superpower teenage harem stuff that I actually think is more of the problem.
Yeah.
Stuff like asterisk, hundred, mahouka and etc are the real cancer of anime.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 20, 2016 6:30 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Damn, now my hopes of a moe anime master race have been dashed, a guy on YT said so

Apr 20, 2016 7:13 PM

May 2015
ilovewendy16 said:
Hoppy said:

People complain about their favorite dark, story driven anime not selling when moe series are selling 6k+ or complaining that the influx of moe will phase out those dark, story driven anime.
I hope moe completely annihilates the stupid dark edgy teen anime. i hope it all gets replaced.
I hate a specific genre of anime = it should die off completely

also, I dont care about what that terrible Youtuber has to say anyway so Im not even checking out the video
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 20, 2016 9:01 PM
Mar 2016
kamisama751 said:
Dancewithknives said:

I don't have time to watch it, but What is Moe?

Just an artstyle, nothing more....

So... People are complaining about an artstyle corrupting different genres of Anime? I don't want to impose, because I'm just an unemplyed vagrant that's been watching anime for less than a month and all I really have to say is... Haven't these people seen Higurashi?
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Apr 20, 2016 9:05 PM
Mar 2016
GamerUnglued said:
I'm inclined to agree with the posts saying that Moe is just an art style. I disagree that Moe is taking creativity away from the industry. There are tons of anime that are heavily Moe influenced but still have dark, interesting, or depressing stories. There are also plenty of Moe characters who have depth to them and are more than just a cute blob on the screen.

Like ive said above, I'm watching Higurashi right now and that show is basically what would happen if Dexter and Lost dropped acid, fucked, had a lovechild, and then smashed the baby into a paste with a hammer, blended it, and sold it to a soccermom at a Tropical Smoothie.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Apr 20, 2016 9:08 PM

Nov 2014
-Senpai- said:
It's official, a popular youtuber said so!
I don't know who or what that mushroom is.

Apr 20, 2016 9:23 PM

Feb 2015
Seriously, for me as long as the moe content is appropriate, or doesn't randomly added, it is fine. People can argue whether it is good or not, but lets face it, others like it and others don't. I like it, as long as it doesn't reach towards stupidity.
Blahkabelison said:
Am I the only one who actually likes moe...?

You're not the only one. Though if you only watch moe anime, then probably you are alone.
ilovewendy16 said:
if there is no MOE i am not interested. Haters of moe can go watch their face punching 70's testosterone anime.

Dude, sometimes it is tiring to watch anime that have complex themes all the time.
Apr 20, 2016 10:06 PM

Sep 2015
Funny thing is, because I haven't seen much anime before 2005, I can't even tell what MOE is unless someone explains it to me for each character.

I never got how one show is MOE while another isn't even though they have the same visual design.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Apr 20, 2016 11:59 PM

Oct 2015
Cool Gigan Goomba.

I think anime will survive the Moe invasion.

I don't care for Moe, I have watched shows with Moe characters but that wasn't the reason, the shows just looked interesting to me.

I can't stand stuff that's completely Moe like Lucky Star for example.
Apr 21, 2016 12:01 AM
Aug 2015
Malarkey said:
ilovewendy16 said:
I hope moe completely annihilates the stupid dark edgy teen anime. i hope it all gets replaced.

also, I dont care about what that terrible Youtuber has to say anyway so Im not even checking out the video
actually i did watch the video. Also i thought it was as least somewhat obvious that i was just trolling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 12:19 AM

May 2009
DonPatch said:
9 out of 10 times moe is garbage and a cancer upon anime. An entire creative medium should not be obsessed with girls being cute. Its sad and pathetic.

But it's not. Moe is not even a subgenre of anime, and its current use is more a stylistic choice than anything else.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
ilovewendy16 said:
Malarkey said:

actually i did watch the video. Also i thought it was as least somewhat obvious that i was just trolling.
oh no, the second part of my post was my opinion, not a reflection of yours

and no, it wasnt obvious
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 21, 2016 1:17 AM
qt girl irl

Aug 2013
Moe will be the death of this industry.... heed my omen.
Apr 21, 2016 1:20 AM
Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
ilovewendy16 said:

Not with wendy as avatar and signature. :D
Obviously i like moe over everthing else. however i understand that not everyone does. I don't actually think that all anime that is not moe is bad though. There are some that i enjoy.
Apr 21, 2016 1:24 AM

Oct 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
azzuRe said:

The problem is, it can't. It is the subversion (not quite actually, more like a darker tone) of Mahou shoujo genre, which is mainly within the 'cute' domain, or what you'd called as 'moe' anime. A more successful subversion of CGDCT is Gakkougurashi.
As dark as people may call it, it's a fairly common trope in magical girl anime for the protagonist to sacrifice herself for the good of others. One main difference is that usually only the protagonist dies and they're even usually reincarnated afterwards in one way or another. Most magical girl anime have at least some death in them. From Cardcaptor Sakura with her dead mother to Nurse Angel Ririka where there was a possibility of the entire planet being destroyed there will usually be some death. Just like in Madoka the most powerful magical girls are the ones who have to sacrifice themselves.

Indeed it is, and that is part of what I really appreciate of Madoka Magica as it brought people attention to the genre, at least it opened up people to accept it as a proper genre, not viewed it as a show aimed mainly for children or hentai ojii-san fanservice.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 21, 2016 1:33 AM

Sep 2009
Where moe-horror that I'm looking for? Like Higurashi and Narutaru =/
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 21, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
*cough Gakkou Gurashi cough* 30charactersRULZ
Apr 21, 2016 2:22 AM

May 2015
ilovewendy16 said:
if there is no MOE i am not interested. Haters of moe can go watch their face punching 70's testosterone anime.

This

Western fiction has enough macho bullshit. If you want tough guys just watch the latest DC/Marvel movie.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 21, 2016 2:28 AM

Aug 2013
I must be living under turtle shell, because i don't get what's the deal with moe is. I mean, it's just one of aesthetics that happens to be in a show i watch, just like bouncing boobs and deformed chibis are. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show whatsoever and definitely not affecting my overall value of the show. It's just there. It just is.
Apr 21, 2016 2:40 AM

Jan 2016
Well, it's pretty stupid to think that *moe*(which sells) kills anime(or at least the anime some people like), in the first place.
Apr 21, 2016 2:48 AM

Jul 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Well, it's pretty stupid to think that *moe*(which sells) kills anime(or at least the anime some people like), in the first place.
Wasn't that phrase a meme in the first place rather than a reality?
Apr 21, 2016 2:52 AM

Jan 2016
Illyricus said:
CapitalistGod said:

There's a reason why a *meme* like this exists. I can only think of people with stcks up their asses to have originated this.
Apr 21, 2016 3:00 AM

Sep 2009
amk_2397 said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Is that really horror? I went through quite a bit of the manga without seeing any of the sort. What I really want is something more like Higurashi though.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 21, 2016 3:09 AM
May 2009
Apr 21, 2016 3:15 AM

Jan 2011
It was actually me who killed the anime you like, I'm sorry.
Apr 21, 2016 3:16 AM

Sep 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
amk_2397 said:

Is that really horror? I went through quite a bit of the manga without seeing any of the sort. What I really want is something more like Higurashi though.
Oh well then you're kinda out of luck there. If you want that gory, moe horror than good luck finding it. There's not a lot out there I don't think.
Apr 21, 2016 3:18 AM

Jul 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Illyricus said:

There's a reason why a *meme* like this exists. I can only think of people with stcks up their asses to have originated this.
If I remember right, it was good old Miyazaki the one who started the trending with the "anime was a mistake" line who the people understood wrong.
Apr 21, 2016 3:32 AM

Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

i was just wondering this myself. moe anime with a serious story is great in my eyes. Well,too soon to speak for Mayoiga but Gakkou Gurashi was fantastic tbh. i wish there was more of such anime that balances cute artstyle and a good deep story instead of anime always either being full-on moe with cute girls doing cute stuff or serious guys doing serious business (not that either of two are bad but yeah)
Apr 21, 2016 4:26 AM

Jun 2013
I just think too much moe is boring as hell.
Apr 21, 2016 4:37 AM

Jul 2015
ilovewendy16 said:
Hoppy said:

People complain about their favorite dark, story driven anime not selling when moe series are selling 6k+ or complaining that the influx of moe will phase out those dark, story driven anime.

You're throwing a tantrum over the art styles used in chinese cartoons. This is not only childish but also shows how open-minded you are when it comes to art...
I have nothing against moe, it just doesn't interest me visually. I'd rather have a slightly more realistic art style dwelving into super chibi territories for comedy (Aria) than the moeblobs with no shape Kyoani animates.

This thing:

Is harder to design, draw and animate than this thing:

You're also acting as if dark anime where always aimed at edgy teens, but I guess that's just because you're too young to know better. BTW, E7 is aimed at edgy teens too...

edit: I also read your posts about violence in anime and manga and... You should probably spend less time worrying about what others do, really. It's kinda ridiculous.
DeathkoApr 21, 2016 4:46 AM
Apr 21, 2016 5:26 AM
Aug 2015
Clebardman said:
ilovewendy16 said:
By the way, that previous post of mine was a troll. lulz

Yeah, "it's a troll". that's why you made 10 posts about how "dark" anime should be banned in that other thread. Your defense is kinda weak.

Somehow I like when efforts are put into the designs and animation of my cartoons rather than seeing another moeblob with antenna hair and overworked giant irises but I guess I'm a special snowflake or something.
i don't have a problem with dark anime. I have seen plenty. Its just that i don't like it when people get too into the violence. Also i don't give a single fuck how well animated or designed a character is. All i need is cute.
Apr 21, 2016 6:07 AM

Jul 2015
It's not that Moe will kill anime it's more that anime WILL BECOME Moe. What I mean is that Moe is what sells in Japan and the studios need to make shows that sell to a wide audience because they need to feed themselves. However, because Moe sells it is the safe bet, the fall back for the studios. It limits the full artistic expression available in the animated medium. Shows without cute girls don't sell so if someone had an idea to make an anime that was devoid of moe like some favorites of mine such as Ping Pong or Tatami Galaxy or even Shinsekai Yori whose character designs were moe but the story was very dark and complex, they don't sell. Then that means these artists and storytellers are better off NOT having the idea in the first place and choosing to go with simpler tried and true character archetypes and cute girls. Moe should exist, it has every right to exist because it is very much a form of expression and entertainment. However, anime should not become Moe because it sells that's where the problem lies. Anime isn't going to die because of moe it would've been dead long ago if that were the case but it is going to limit artists from creating a truly self expressive work. From the winter season we see shows like Konosuba or even KyoAni's flop Musaigen still outselling the very non-moe Rakugo, which was a fantastic anime. Does this mean anime can't be anything more than entertainment and cute girls? I'd sure like to hope that it can remain a mixture of thought provoking shows and moe, as it has been but it's slowly folding into more moe. I just wish there were more experimental shows or one's i can really dig into coming out as it's been very rare for me to find any from the airing anime. I'll still support the non-moe shows and if people really think moe was killing anime they'd support the shows they enjoy more than the people supporting moe but the people who care more and are willing to spend more are the moe fans, guess that's just how it works.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Apr 21, 2016 6:13 AM
Jul 2012
Anime is mostly based around sales in Japan and Moe type anime is popular if others outside of Japan actually supported the industry enough they would probably start considering others taste.
Apr 21, 2016 10:08 AM

Oct 2015
Illyricus said:
CapitalistGod said:

If I remember right, it was good old Miyazaki the one who started the trending with the "anime was a mistake" line who the people understood wrong.

Funnily enough, that was also a joke. Miyazaki never said that, he did say that the "industry is full of otaku" but that's about it.

It was a fun joke that people started to take seriously, and then it got out of hand. Same with the whole "X is saving/killing anime" thing.
Apr 21, 2016 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
ilovewendy16 said:

This

Western fiction has enough macho bullshit. If you want tough guys just watch the latest DC/Marvel movie.
Jeez, I know right?
Come on people get with the times, it's 2016.
Leave the "macho bullshit" behind.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 21, 2016 11:55 AM
Apr 2013
moe is quite literally the cancer of anime, and of east asian culture in general
Apr 21, 2016 12:08 PM

Oct 2015
55Snakes said:
moe is quite literally the cancer of anime, and of east asian culture in general

How so? Last time I checked most Korean, Chinese or even most Japanese people aren't interested in moe. It's a subculture.

And you mean "figuratively".
Apr 21, 2016 12:36 PM
Apr 2013
Lobinde said:
55Snakes said:

How so? Last time I checked most Korean, Chinese or even most Japanese people aren't interested in moe. It's a subculture.

And you mean "figuratively".
I think they call it "amaenbou", the habit of some girls to try and appear all cute and innocent with their high pitched voices and everything. It's fake and vaguely sinister.

As for complaining about how I used "literally", lol what is this the 1950's?
Apr 21, 2016 12:47 PM

Nov 2012
>moe isn't killing your anime because not moe anime exists too
>brings up not moe examples from 20 years ago

Stupid anime trying to have plot makes me cringe, not even trying and just shoving moe in my face is preferable.
Apr 21, 2016 7:48 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
ilovewendy16 said:

This

Except those movies are shit, idk why you think macho automatically means something is bad.
Apr 21, 2016 8:03 PM

Mar 2012
I like many Moe anime and Elitist Pandering anime.
If Moe is sub-genre of anime then Elitist should be the new sub-genre of anime because of the west.

1st anime tv series is Astro Boy and it had Moe eyes, even Kuro Hazama from Black Jack had Moe eyes.
Anything made by Osamu Tezuka (Godfather of Anime/Manga) had Moe eyes in his anime and manga.
After the death of Osamu Tezuka, many japanese creators will start making their own Moe anime and many Moe anime was made.
Making more Moe anime is like they're worshipping Osamu Tezuka.

If western people hating Moe it means you're cursing Osamu Tezuka by disrespecting him even he's dead.

Anyway, if you think Madhouse is a Studio that makes a lot of anime that panders to western audience? No!
Madhouse create some Moe anime during late 90's and early 2000's like Card Captor Sakura, Di Gi Charat, Galaxy Angel, Fairy Musketeers, etc.

What i understand everything is Japan likes cute things while Western people like Macho Manly Men.
It's like anime has alienated your intelligence and you just trash talk about it but you can't stop them because they don't care what they say to you.
Western People are such a bunch of Baka Gaijins.

Elitist be like
GridleyApr 21, 2016 8:07 PM
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Apr 21, 2016 8:08 PM
Jun 2015
I am immediately giving away my 21st chromosome, and probably mo(r)e, by even commenting on this thread. Businesses are gonna try to make money. Money keeps the industry afloat. Appeal to mass helps make money and keeps anime going. Variety is good. I can eat an entire sleeve of Jaffa Cakes in one sitting when I feel like being a fat kid. I like Jaffa Cakes. I also like more than just Jaffa Cakes. Digestibles are also legit. McVities makes variety packs and I lose my mind. I can get more types of biscuits in one packet. PogChamp! Some biscuits are good, some bad. I like my Ginger Nuts more after encountering an evil-looking BN Biscuit, ya know? I guess I am trying to say let people enjoy what they want, especially if it doesn't directly harm you.
Apr 21, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
I like how something as simple as this can divide the anime community.. as if moe is in every show either ruining it or making it amazing. Believe me when I say this, there will be great shows with moe and there will be great shows without moe. If you can't grasp this concept than.............
Apr 21, 2016 8:54 PM

Jan 2015
moe is the jancoeg thing ever happen

la critique de l'intention pure
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

48 by Gashadokur0 »»
4 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

23 by Nurguburu »»
5 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

76 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 8 hours ago

25 by GrumbleDango »»
22 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9145 by anime-prime »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.