Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really like the degree of realism in this show. They captured the harsh conditions of a cold weather pretty well if you ask me.

The dialogoues about God and demons were also really interesting. Weather that cold with snow and wind is no joke.

Oct 13, 2019 8:54 AM

Jul 2016
Quite an emotional episode this week.

This episode, yet again, shows us that innocent people die in war for absolutely no reason. I feel like the author Makoto Yukimura wants us to understand that war, in all cases, is futile and that there is never a winning side, as there are always (both innocent and guilty) victims, which is something that I agree with.

Not much Thorfinn and Canute in this episode, but it was still great.

Overall, 5/5
Oct 13, 2019 9:02 AM
Jun 2015
Dark af episode. God this shit happens in real life. The realism is so graphic in this show. Easily my favorite episode even though it made me think of the Flordia Church massacre a couple years back.
Oct 13, 2019 9:39 AM

Jan 2019
Oh God...
Absolutely one of the best episodes, I loved every part of it. It hit me hard, just like in the manga.
Thank you WIT for doing this part justice, thank you...
Oct 13, 2019 9:42 AM

Feb 2013
This was the only episode I didn't love so far...
Oct 13, 2019 9:47 AM
Aug 2019
The backgrounds in the 2nd half of the episode look amazing.
Oct 13, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2018
What a brutal, and yet fantastic, episode. Maybe the best of the season. That final scene with Anne was so good. Out of emotions she might've been feeling there, I didn't expect "elated" to be one of them. A part of her was happy there were other people out there that didn't live their life in constant fear of kami-sama.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Oct 13, 2019 9:56 AM
Nov 2007
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.
Oct 13, 2019 9:59 AM
Aug 2019
Pyoung said:

Is there a particular reason why or do you feel the episode doesn't come together well.
The priest portion didn't click for me compared to when I read it, though the 2nd half made up for it, to me.
Oct 13, 2019 10:01 AM

Dec 2014
This was just depressing and brutal. Great episode though.

None of the civilians in this episode deserved that fate, it's saddening to know that humanity's past is full of such brutal and barbaric events. I can't even begin to think what it would've been like to live in those times, where human life meant to close to nothing. :(
Oct 13, 2019 10:02 AM
Sep 2015
They really specialized in raiding the village, aren't they?

Also, many people feel this episode is different, well they're correct, this is the first episode without Thorfinn.
Oct 13, 2019 10:05 AM

Sep 2014
Oof just like in the manga this was one of the most disturbing/painful episodes due to its realism. I'm really glad WIT did a good job with it. Perfectly establishes the violent world that was Europe more in detail during that time for the innocent civillians.
Oct 13, 2019 10:07 AM

Nov 2017
Man that was brutal, quite sad. But moments like this make me love the series even more than I do. It doesn't shy away from showing the realities of a war torn time period.
I'm beginning to understand why Vinland Saga is counted among the best seinens ever
Oct 13, 2019 10:09 AM
Aug 2019
Neji said:
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.

I think the episode communicates a lot that we haven't seen before. And I appreciate the "show, don't tell" aspect.
Oct 13, 2019 10:11 AM

May 2017
Wow. Just wow, that episode was amazing. The scene where they killed all of the people gave me chills.
Oct 13, 2019 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
Quite chilling episode, Askeladd isn't playing around.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 13, 2019 10:18 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
najumobi said:
Neji said:

I think the episode communicates a lot that we haven't seen before. And I appreciate the "show, don't tell" aspect.

Indeed. It also confirms once and for all that for all his popularity (and yes he's a great and interesting character), Askeladd is also a vicious, ruthless villain of a man who will stop at nothing to achieve his aims.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 13, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2009
Amazon translated Anne talking about her heart pounding as "I'm elated" in a situation where she clearly isn't.
Oct 13, 2019 10:22 AM
Apr 2016
Uhh, that was really dark... Felt like I was brought back to reality for a second, a reminder that Askeladd isn't a very nice person, truly reminds me why Thorfinn wants to kill him so bad.
Oct 13, 2019 10:24 AM
Jun 2015
Neji said:

Jesus, You only draw superficial conclusions, you are not immersed in anything, you speak and speak, but you elaborate nothing, specify your argument of motherhood more.

It's meant to be a solid episode, from the TOTALLY innocent point of view of this massacre, because we always watching the eyes of Askeladd or Thorfinn about them, and here comes an episode that builds this little empathy between the viewer and the characters. We even had a good background and deepening in Priest, something that already shapes his character completely, of course is a small bonus in the episode.

And the brothers had been knocked out by Thors, just visiting the first episodes of the anime you will see. So it is possible that they do not remember very much who he was, as they must have been woken up after the fight was over.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:24 PM
Oct 13, 2019 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was pretty brutal. In any way and many discussed and talked about. War is very ugly no matter what. Many innocents die and they always suffer for it in the end when it comes.
Oct 13, 2019 10:28 AM

May 2017
Holy.. What an incredibly crafted episode.

A gruesome reminder to what kind of people we're actually following. They can be portrait and seen as normal or decent warriors in other scenes and moments, when in reality they are the furthest thing from it.

One of the best episodes so far. Last week's episodes animation was severely lacking but this one made up for it. Incredible facial and mouth animation (someone definitely had a teeth fetish) Directing was superb as well.

This episode was definitely needed as I felt the tension and the atmosphere was lacking in the last couple of episodes.
Oct 13, 2019 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
The scene in the blizzard was gruesome and beautiful at the same time.

TopgunUK said:
Amazon translated Anne talking about her heart pounding as "I'm elated" in a situation where she clearly isn't.
Yes I noticed she says doki doki. What would the correct translation be? What mood is she in there?
Oct 13, 2019 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
Damn. Even though I read the manga, seeing this scene again was just...painful. Sure, there was a scene prior to this one where a village gets masscared, but it didn't go into as much intimidate detail as here.
Vinland Saga isn't exactly one of the goriest anime, but it's definitely one of the most painful to watch, because you just can't root for the main characters at all. Thorfinn makes post-Eclipse Guts look nice in comparison. Thorfinn isn't like Guts; even though Guts was cold-hearted in the beginning of Berserk, he didn't team up with people who killed innocents, and he even showed remorse in a few scenes.
At the same time though, that's why I like Guts more than Thorfinn; Guts is more complex, and it's harder to figure out his mental state of mind.

twoego said:
Uhh, that was really dark... Felt like I was brought back to reality for a second, a reminder that Askeladd isn't a very nice person, truly reminds me why Thorfinn wants to kill him so bad.

The fucked up thing is that Thorfinn doesn't want to kill Askeladd for the atrocities he's done, other than killing his father.
Oct 13, 2019 10:31 AM

Oct 2009
operationvalkyri said:
The scene in the blizzard was gruesome and beautiful at the same time.

TopgunUK said:
Yes I noticed she says doki doki. What would the correct translation be? What mood is she in there?

She says her heart's pounding like it was when she took the ring.

Amazon decided she was really happy about her whole family being slaughtered for some reason.
Oct 13, 2019 10:33 AM

Jan 2012
Well. That was the most darkest moment for me in the manga and I glad that they did it justice.
How I love a game
Oct 13, 2019 10:35 AM

Jul 2017
Different perspective than what we're used to seeing, this time with the civilian perspective. Wonder if this girl will last more than 1 ep this time compared to all the other girls so far.
Oct 13, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 2018
Neji said:

Perfectly agree with you. Shit episode as always.
Oct 13, 2019 10:38 AM
Nov 2007
Gabisu said:
Neji said:

Jesus, You only draw superficial conclusions, you are not immersed in anything, you speak and speak, but you elaborate nothing, specify your argument of motherhood more.

It's meant to be a solid episode, from the TOTALLY innocent point of view of this massacre, because we always watching the eyes of Askeladd or Thorfinn about them, and here comes an episode that builds this little empathy between the viewer and the characters. We even had a good background and deepening in Priest, something that already shapes his character completely, of course is a small bonus in the episode.

And the brothers had been knocked out by Thors, just visiting the first episodes of the anime you will see. So it is possible that they do not remember very much who he was, as they must have been woken up after the fight was over.

Couple of things here? Empathy between characters? Which characters is that? The nobodies that got killed, Askellad, priest who makes no sense and pretends to be some kind of deep meaning? Also considering thorfin has been trying to kill askellad for years, I am pretty sure that everyone knows who Thor was and how he was killed. The pacing is extremely slow and episode after episode don't cover anything? Why is the religion here anyway, is the story going anywhere. I read the manga years ago and loved it, but I don't remeber it and most likely I had hundreds of chapters to read so garbage like this didn't bother me. This episode was 90% pointless. Everyone talks slowly like they are retards and they don't even make sense. I am complaining because there is no value in the 20 min episode and people are wanking over background.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:23 PM
Oct 13, 2019 10:51 AM

May 2015
Even though I miss Thorfinn in these latest episodes, they are still great. Interesting to see the perspective of different people, including the priest.

When they showed the family it was obvious they are all going to die and the inevitability makes it even sadder.

The girl with the ring, so cute. I mean, her petty worries about some ring when people do worse things without any remorse, it's cute that she thinks that's what will separate her from the family in heaven. Well, at least now she can sell the ring and probably survive somehow, I doubt we'll see her again but I don't mind if we do.
Oct 13, 2019 10:52 AM

Jun 2016
This episode just reminded me why Askeladd is a fucking prick and so are the rest of his crew and why I used to hate them.
The day this man dies will be just satisfying af and seriously Thorfinn, no reactions out of him at all. You'd think murdering civilians would get a reaction out of him.
Otherwise the episode nailed off what they wanted to do which was to show the levels of horror these kinds of people go through and the kinds of people who would commit these atrocities.
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 13, 2019 10:57 AM
Oct 2017
This episode felt quite empty for me. The killing was brutal but it didn't feel impactful nor surprising and I also couldn't sympathize with the girl during her monologue. Well let's see what happens next.
Oct 13, 2019 11:02 AM
Apr 2016
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Damn. Even though I read the manga, seeing this scene again was just...painful. Sure, there was a scene prior to this one where a village gets masscared, but it didn't go into as much intimidate detail as here.
Vinland Saga isn't exactly one of the goriest anime, but it's definitely one of the most painful to watch, because you just can't root for the main characters at all. Thorfinn makes post-Eclipse Guts look nice in comparison. Thorfinn isn't like Guts; even though Guts was cold-hearted in the beginning of Berserk, he didn't team up with people who killed innocents, and he even showed remorse in a few scenes.
At the same time though, that's why I like Guts more than Thorfinn; Guts is more complex, and it's harder to figure out his mental state of mind.

twoego said:

The fucked up thing is that Thorfinn doesn't want to kill Askeladd for the atrocities he's done, other than killing his father.
I believe it plays a part in it; him being generally evil.
Oct 13, 2019 11:02 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh god the end, that was harsh.
What a great episode.
Oct 13, 2019 11:08 AM

Feb 2013
najumobi said:
Pyoung said:

Is there a particular reason why or do you feel the episode doesn't come together well.
The priest portion didn't click for me compared to when I read it, though the 2nd half made up for it, to me.
Its not that it didn't come together well. It just seemed to be a completely different tone than the usual series and seemed to be pretty brutal.What they did to those people.. I know a lot of people like stuff like this but it isn't my cup of tea. Instead of feeling hyped and good after this episode I just felt kind of shitty lol.
Oct 13, 2019 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
goes to show religion is just for social control and morality which is none existent in a cruel world like the old days where survival of the fittest even in immoral ways are allowed

i wonder if Anne will survive or she will die in winter
Oct 13, 2019 11:12 AM
Feb 2016
Pyoung said:
najumobi said:

Its not that it didn't come together well. It just seemed to be a completely different tone than the usual series and seemed to be pretty brutal.What they did to those people.. I know a lot of people like stuff like this but it isn't my cup of tea. Instead of feeling hyped and good after this episode I just felt kind of shitty lol.

You're supposed to feel that way. Askeladd didn't have his men raid the village for nothing, if he didn't then he and his men were going to die. It was them - or him. And he chose them.

Simple as that.

Amazing how no one mentioned that fact yet.
Oct 13, 2019 11:13 AM

Nov 2014
loved it, only thing missing is some church raiding and priests being burned or crucified.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Oct 13, 2019 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
ye its kill or be killed in the old days and the only salvation is believing in heaven back in the past
Oct 13, 2019 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
ChainxBastard said:
Pyoung said:

You're supposed to feel that way. Askeladd didn't have his men raid the village for nothing, if he didn't then he and his men were going to die. It was them - or him. And he chose them.

Simple as that.

Amazing how no one mentioned that fact yet.
I was thinking that the whole time. I want Askeladd to be a good guy so bad haha. when he said he hated the Danes last episode I was thinking.... No way.. he doesn't hate his crew ..he must be lying... I guess time will tell
Oct 13, 2019 11:16 AM
Feb 2018
First episode i stopped.

I guess i can't do it anymore, the rape and killing done by askelaad and his group is just too fucking much.

I get the realism of the time. But i just can't enjoy watching characters going through comedy moments and making funny quips because they think they are cool and then murdering an entire village or raping all the women around.

It's just not entertaining to me to follow these types of characters.
Oct 13, 2019 11:16 AM

Feb 2011
Neji said:

How dare everyone enjoy something ? No no no, he's here to tell you why you're WRONG and why you shouldn't have FUN watching Vinland. You should all adhere to his tastes.
Oct 13, 2019 11:19 AM

Jul 2014
Very depressing and dark episode. To think there indeed were times when the innocent were slaughtered so severely, when people really thrived. Liked the realism and the subtext in the episode, where in Christianity it implied that the end is nigh. Askellad has made up his mind to push through.
Oct 13, 2019 11:20 AM
Apr 2018
Neji said:

-Wouldn't say I loved the episode but this isn't rinse and repeat of the last few village attacks to emphasise the harshness of war. This time we saw how Christianity during that time worked among commoners and how little the Danes know about it.
-We saw a sort of mercy killing of the villagers as I doubt Askeladd really believed that the villagers would give any valuable information to the pursuers in this tundra so instead of them starving and dying to the cold or their pursuers in fact, he gave them a swift end.
-Concerning the brothers not knowing about Thors, you have to realise this happened years ago (shown by Thorfinn's growth from child to teenager) and these guys have gone to countless fights since and they must have joined the crew after that. Thorfinn may be our MC but he's just the feisty kid who has a bone to pick with Askeladd to them.
-For those who are sad about the lack of Thorfinn and Canute and the screentime given to pointless characters, go watch a shounen. This anime might not be for you just saying.
Oct 13, 2019 11:22 AM
Nov 2007
Hatsuyuki said:
Neji said:

How dare everyone enjoy something ? No no no, he's here to tell you why you're WRONG and why you shouldn't have FUN watching Vinland. You should all adhere to his tastes.

I am rather trying to understand what am I missing? Not as in "don't enjoy", but "why are you enjoying this?", I just wanted to hear compelling arguments. I am also fine to be disregarded.
Oct 13, 2019 11:22 AM

Feb 2017
This chapter couldn't have been adapted better. Brilliant episode.
Oct 13, 2019 11:28 AM
Nov 2007
LlamaSan said:
Neji said:

-Wouldn't say I loved the episode but this isn't rinse and repeat of the last few village attacks to emphasise the harshness of war. This time we saw how Christianity during that time worked among commoners and how little the Danes know about it.
-We saw a sort of mercy killing of the villagers as I doubt Askeladd really believed that the villagers would give any valuable information to the pursuers in this tundra so instead of them starving and dying to the cold or their pursuers in fact, he gave them a swift end.
-Concerning the brothers not knowing about Thors, you have to realise this happened years ago (shown by Thorfinn's growth from child to teenager) and these guys have gone to countless fights since and they must have joined the crew after that. Thorfinn may be our MC but he's just the feisty kid who has a bone to pick with Askeladd to them.
-For those who are sad about the lack of Thorfinn and Canute and the screentime given to pointless characters, go watch a shounen. This anime might not be for you just saying.

I just asked for good arguments and you did give some, but then you kind of ruined by insulting shounen. Don't know why people need to do it. I see the top two points, but I disagree that there is any redeeming points, Askellad and his man are nothing more then bandits, which we already knew. The last two pints are not valid, once again it will idiotic for 100 people not to know the entire story of thor, considering how much it has been discussed. Last one is that I can enjoy shounen and other, but if the show has pacing issues and doesn't make sense it will bother me.
Aug 2019
Pyoung said:
najumobi said:

Ah, I see. I think I've felt that way before, when watching various anime or live action tv series.

Oct 2018
Only part that I didn't like from the EP were the CG axes during the culling.
Oct 13, 2019 11:29 AM
Jun 2015
Neji said:
Gabisu said:
Jesus, You only draw superficial conclusions, you are not immersed in anything, you speak and speak, but you elaborate nothing, specify your argument of motherhood more. You only knew how to be arrogant during the last few episodes, without being immersive and making empty critics.

Couple of things here? Empathy between characters? Which characters is that? The nobodies that got killed, Askellad, priest who makes no sense and pretends to be some kind of deep meaning? Also considering thorfin has been trying to kill askellad for years, I am pretty sure that everyone knows who Thor was and how he was killed. The pacing is extremely slow and episode after episode don't cover anything? Why is the religion here anyway, is the story going anywhere. I read the manga years ago and loved it, but I don't remeber it and most likely I had hundreds of chapters to read so garbage like this didn't bother me. This episode was 90% pointless. Everyone talks slowly like they are retards and they don't even make sense. I am complaining because there is no value in the 20 min episode and people are wanking over background.
Ok, listen here, Anne is a character in this episode, that whole family are > THIS EPISODE <, characters are not the ones that cover the spotlight during an entire work, even in an isolated moment, they are characters.

So why doesn't the priest make sense? He is an example that he was always listening to his own hypocrisy, and when we finally have his recent moments, which are for something deep or something average, they become complementary. There is no construction without these little things, and the anime works slowly on it, fitting in a few, or wanted something extremely forced and crushed? Religion is the strong point of this arch, especially about the Priest and Canute own questioning when 'these' scenes occur (this is not a spoiler here).

Knowing is different from meeting fully, they see 1% of the person Thors was, and both were unconscious at the time Thors was killed, the anime didn't give them a single touch, so why the hell would they know directly how he was? If the fact that the same happens after the fall of Thors, they do not carry as memorable for their lives, they all have their goals what fill in their head with it, practically Thorfinn has no major impact on the lives of these Vikings except Askeladd.

Have you ever watched Monster or Erin? Do you know what is the most important step for the progress of a narrative? The preservation of an atmosphere, an episode without this, becomes a coreless episode, the stories are just poorly structured, some lucky enough to hold, what you say is the kind of saying: '' Ah, this episode hunter x hunter only had dialogue, so he's useless and bad ''. An example of another famous anime, this kind of comment already says a lot about someone who is not immersed in anything displayed, and if it really is, then it may be superficially.

> Characterization of the priest
> Approach a different perspective among massacres victims
> Also reinforce how brutal and focused on Askeladd (after this episode creates, that there are no more scenes of the kind, so I think he corrects that, there Askeladd is not the hero everyone thinks)
> The plot needs to progress doesn't it? How will they take shelter this winter? Here was the first step, which then gives the consequences for what comes next.
> And Anne will be important for the next episode too, if you have read the manga, know what happens next, which becomes a consequence.

ALSO: the way they put this girl, a character who is in a very religious family and she was going out of the way and was afraid of being punished by God, but her greed was high and she couldn't get rid of the ring. And then they introduced the Askeladd which is something that is not afraid of punishment and goes only with the focus of achieving their goals and keeping their men alive, and with the death of the village people he ended up giving "salvation" to the Girl who now knows that if worse people than her are not being punished, he will not be punished either and again this comes into effect in the future episode.

But i following your concept, it's just useless, isn't it?
GabisuOct 13, 2019 11:40 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2019

238 by FarCritical »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

802 by FutanariAddict »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2019

213 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2019

291 by FarCritical »»
May 22, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

393 by FarCritical »»
May 22, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.