Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 29, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah the very last episode of this series. Similar to other episodes, it still had that moody feel.

This episode actually gave Takashi some screen time. Not sure how I feel about that as I didn't like him much. Still, I thought the finale is an entertaining episode as it also gave Akira more screentime with Yuuta.

There's still the usual moments between Akira and Kondou and I feel that she is much more comfortable talking to him now compared to the beginning of the show. Oh and we also get a few more flashback moments of Akira and Haruka even in the finale. Overall, I thought this was a fantastic show. Kinda wish it would be longer but I was quite satisfied with it.
Stark700Mar 29, 2018 9:33 AM
Mar 29, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2016
Not a bad way to end it.
Major_GilbertMar 29, 2018 10:42 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 29, 2018 10:34 AM

Nov 2014
The envisioned hug at the end made me gasp. That was stunning.

It was really satisfying to see Tachibana and Kondou getting back on track with their lives. However, I can't help but feel some slight (only slight) disappointment with the change in focus. What began as a forbidden romance ended as a story about pursuing dreams. While a part of me was hoping that Tachibana and Kondou didn't get too close, my curiosity was held by the possibility that they might. The ending, however, leaves a lot of possibilities open.

As a whole, I really liked After the Rain. The story was delightfully engaging; the animation was gorgeous; and there was a pertinent message about not succumbing to discouragement. Further, I'm glad that the story resisted diving too deep into melodrama, misunderstandings, and other tiresome romance tropes. Instead, it opted to keep things simple, and uplift rather than frustrate us.

Episode: 5/5
Overall: 7/10 or 8/10 (hard time deciding)

My full review:
https://aikaflip.wordpress.com/2018/03/30/koi-wa-ameagari-no-you-ni/
aikaflipApr 12, 2018 7:11 PM
Mar 29, 2018 10:38 AM

Apr 2016
Don't give me "when we accomplish our goals, we will ..." don't give me that crap.

But hey she started to run again, thats cool ... and the tanned girl will be no more sad about her not running, and thats even better.
Mar 29, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2012
And so the series ends, and I suppose in the only real way it ever could. Witch Akira and Kondo each experience renewed focus in their passions of running and writing respectively. It was a beautiful, somewhat bittersweet ending for a series that could probably be described in similar terms as a whole. Strong 8 out of 10
Mar 29, 2018 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
What a beautiful finale to a wonderful show, the visuals at end was amazing. Looks like Akira is going to run again, I'm happy for her. Kondou revealing what he was doing was funny. Takashi and Yui are so cute together. Pretty good show overall, it's definitely my AOTS. The visuals are gorgeous and the characters are very likable. 7/10
Mar 29, 2018 10:53 AM

Sep 2015
How chapters does the anime adapt? I would like to continue to read the manga as soon as possible.
Mar 29, 2018 11:07 AM

Nov 2016
The sprint in Kondous arms <3

This was a damn beautiful finale,Wit showed us something visual pleasing again,just great to look at,music was fantastic as well.

This was pretty much my anime of the season 8,5/10

Edit:Rewatched the episode and teared up again,think I'm gonna bump this up to a 9.
FMmatronMar 30, 2018 7:07 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2018 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
This might be one of my favorite anime endings of all time. Every character was filled with such hope and promise. The animation was gorgeous, I couldn't stop staring at it. I mentioned in a previous comment that the pacing of the anime was aggravating me because I was expecting a love story, but once I realized that it wasn't love in the traditional sense, but love as in rediscovering your passions and who you are, I fell deeply "in love" with the anime. It's so inspirational and I felt like the characters didn't make drastic enough changes where it was unbelievable. I loved Akira and Haruka's friendship, I loved Kondo's respect for Akira and vice versa. Their ending was perfect, the image of her running across the water was stunning. I cried my eyes out. I'll definitely rewatch this one!!
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
My favorite anime: Sailor Moon, Noragami, Kamisama Kiss, Carole & Tuesday, HunterxHunter, & Little Witch Academia.
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
Mar 29, 2018 11:43 AM

Nov 2017
Solid ending. I understand some people's complaint about the "flip" in plot direction but I think it was a beautiful show through and through.

It wrapped it all up quite effectively too. great season to start the year
Mar 29, 2018 11:54 AM
Mar 2018
BluePikmin11 said:
How chapters does the anime adapt? I would like to continue to read the manga as soon as possible.

It skips alot since the ending of the anime is basically the ending of the manga (probably not another season for this show) as in they both go separate ways, you would be better off just reading the whole manga, although alot of chapters arent translated yet (only 56 of the 82 chapters are translated)
Mar 29, 2018 11:54 AM

Apr 2017
As some have said, the change in direction made me a bit antsy, but that was mostly because I knew the anime was (very sadly) only 12 episodes long, and I really wanted to see the relationship progression between Akira and Kondo. But a favorite for sure, and another one into the "wishful thinking for a second season" category.
Mar 29, 2018 12:01 PM

Mar 2016
That ending just left me so much pain in my heart......not in the same way that Violet Evergarden does, but more of like you wish there was more than they could've said or done....what could've been, what should've been....all that stuff. Regardless, I enjoyed the series while it lasted, and while it's not close to being one of my top favorite romance series, it's a series that I'll find hard to forget for a long time.
Mar 29, 2018 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
FMmatron said:

This was a damn beautiful finale,Wit showed us something visual pleasing again,just great to look at,music was fantastic as well.

What broke my heart is that it was just a fantasy, but I think it speaks to reality itself...that there's stuff that could've been said or done, but in the end, reality of life just doesn't allow it. At least they both have their respective renewed resolve for their own future and goals, and that relationship they had, really helped that out in the end.
Mar 29, 2018 12:12 PM

Nov 2016
Ryuseishun said:
FMmatron said:

What broke my heart is that it was just a fantasy, but I think it speaks to reality itself...that there's stuff that could've been said or done, but in the end, reality of life just doesn't allow it. At least they both have their respective renewed resolve for their own future and goals, and that relationship they had, really helped that out in the end.

Yeah,but it was already pretty obviousthat they won't end up together,so that bit of fanservice was more than we could have hoped for xD

Still super happy and satisied with the outcome.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2018 12:16 PM

Mar 2016
FMmatron said:
Ryuseishun said:

Yeah,but it was already pretty obviousthat they won't end up together,so that bit of fanservice was more than we could have hoped for xD

Yea, well said.....I really enjoyed the ride, regardless
Mar 29, 2018 12:34 PM

Nov 2016
Ryuseishun said:
FMmatron said:

Yea, well said.....I really enjoyed the ride, regardless

Me too,but maybe you should also pick up the manga man, chances are high that you get a bit more out of it,since the anime skipped a lot.

Mar 29, 2018 12:46 PM

Oct 2012
It felt a bit rushed overall (which it was, I suppose), but I liked it a lot. To be honest I liked the pacing of the first episodes way more. And I held my expectations more to the romance than to the "lesson of life" part - Don't get me wrong, I loved the writing and running thing, mostly the writing because I think it was one of the reasons I've finally started writing again after so many years, it's just that I watched the show expecting it to be way more focused on romance. All in all it was cool and good, but I think it would have been better if it wasn't as rushed. I don't know. It felt like something was missing somehow. I gave it a 8/10, but I think it's more of a 7/10 for me, so I'll change it.
Mar 29, 2018 1:03 PM

Mar 2015
That anime was a big candidate for being my favorite anime for the season (after Saiki) as it was pretty enjoyable even though the premise still felt too creepy. The episode felt pretty good but I feel the last 5 mins just felt so rushed. No idea why but it makes me feel pretty annoyed even though it's one of the best ways they could have ended off the series.
Overall, 8.5/10
Mar 29, 2018 1:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was one of the best final episodes i've seen in some time, it transcends Sora yori wo Tooi Basho for me in that regard.

How this so effortlessly shifted from a romance to a coming-of-age like story with both parties regaining their passion is something i have never seen before but it was incredibly satisfying.

Was on the edge of my seat hoping for Akira to finally come to terms that she wants to run again.

That was beautiful, couldn't have gone any better, almost a perfect finale.
Mar 29, 2018 1:09 PM

Jun 2013
Someone knows wthat's the next one in NoitaminA?
Mar 29, 2018 1:11 PM

Sep 2015
After the Rain Overall Impressions:

I have seen bits of After the Rain in anime advertisements and in a news article that gave the original source material awards in 2018. After researching the anime and its premise on MAL, I was very interested. A romance between a 40 year old man and a high school girl. That got me wanting to see the anime day one after its airing of Episode 1. Man, watching this entire anime unfold was worth it.

Although the anime may feel slow-paced watching for the first time, it is incredibly appropriate and purposeful as it helps me sink in the many moments of Akira’s journey to loving Masami.
After the Rain’s strongest aspects is its minimalistic storytelling and using visual presentation and animation for engagement. The story is very focused and has all the dialogue necessary for solid progression. This anime never ceases to amaze me with many memorable scenes that are beautifully animated by WIT Studio that captures the emotion of story events greatly. This is all presented in a way that is VERY genuine and true to the seinen genre, yet is never detrimental to plot progression.

The anime gets better every episode, exploring Akira’s and Masami’s relationships with other side-characters that gradually made me wanna root for their romantic love more. Surprisingly, the exploration of side-characters are treated as kind of sidelined, but their role in the story is still purposeful. The progression of side-characters is present and the moments of those type of characters feel well-built up enough for me to care for the rest of the cast. I will say, never have I once felt uncomfortable watching After the Rain. The strongly engaging narrative and plot never goes to weird territory. The romantic progression feels natural and ties its build-up very nicely for me to not worry as much.

One thing I have to note is the anime ends though. It ends in a way that halts the progression of Akira and Masami’s relationship rather abruptly. Apparently, the anime’s ending is basically the manga’s ending (Which came out recently), skipping a lot of chapters. While that is really disappointing to hear, I feel everything that was set up for the anime adaptation’s story with it being a one-cour was summed up well enough to make watching the entire anime somewhat satisfactory. I would say that the After the Rain anime is a somewhat similar case to A Silent Voice’s movie adaptation. Basically, it is summing up the entire story in a short span of time, yet has enough content and quality to satisfy. (Although, I have yet to watch the movie of SV, I am basing this on the general reception of the movie and manga.)

This anime gets a VERY high recommendation from me for the Winter 2018 season.
Mar 29, 2018 1:37 PM

Apr 2016
Great music, great art, great voice-acting, great story. I'm not so sure yet about how I feel about the end but that scene with Tachibana running and landing on his chest was beautiful and I guess a nice parallel with the imagined stolen kiss at the beginning of the show. Furthermore the way I understood it, they will see each other someday again, "kanarazu" :)

Wit studio did a great job on this adaptation, obviously with a lot of love.
Mar 29, 2018 1:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A good ending to a very enjoyable series. I was a bit nervous with the topic of this series coming in, but all in all they did a good job keeping it real and avoiding many clichés or over the top melodrama. I thought the first half of the series was better than the second though, the thematic shift to pursuing your dream being a tad less interesting. I thought the plotline with the tanned running mate was a bit boring to be honest.

One of the better ones this season IMO:
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 29, 2018 1:50 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
I wasn't a huge fan of the second half of the show, however I like the show overall.

It's nice seeing that Kondo started writing again, Haruka & Tachibana rekindled their friendship and that she's back on the track team.

I am pretty satisfied with how it ended.
The characters are likable, the visuals are stunning, I loved both the OP/ED & it achieved what it wanted in which you shouldn't give up & to have the courage to pursue your dreams.
-ArisaMar 29, 2018 1:55 PM

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Mar 29, 2018 2:12 PM

Feb 2016
What a nice poem this anime is. It was a good ride with beautiful monologues and scenarios with the topic of not giving up and pursue your dreams (is a bit similar to Sora Yori when it comes to the ride to the Antarctica, I mean the struggle and not giving up)

I really wish MAL would change the rating system so I can put decimals to my rating...

8,5/10
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 29, 2018 2:21 PM

Jul 2014
The second half of the show increased in pace and decreased in quality, and while this ending wasn't what I was hoping for, I can understand and accept that this was the only logical outcome and, as with Scum's Wish last year, I have to give the show credit for choosing the more "appropriate" ending rather than caving in to fan pressure (as a lot of romances or, in this case, pseudo-romances, end up doing) for a "happy" ending that may not have made sense in reality.

8/10
Mar 29, 2018 2:26 PM

Oct 2014
Huh more "Please read the manga instead" ending.

Well, all in all, Wit Studio finally has a proper good romance anime under their belt.
Looking forward to more of those beautiful clouds, subtle Shaft-esque motion, and color and lighting play.
Mar 29, 2018 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
Well, I already missed the moment when this anime from may-desember romance became yuri. However, since pairing Akira and Kondou is obvious, I was pretty disappointed with the open final, even though I was incredibly fascinated with this show and manga in principle.

8 out of 10.

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Great music, great art, great voice-acting, great story. I'm not so sure yet about how I feel about the end but that scene with Tachibana running and landing on his chest was beautiful and I guess a nice parallel with the imagined stolen kiss at the beginning of the show. Furthermore the way I understood it, they will see each other someday again, "kanarazu" :)

That is, do you think that he too fell in love with her by this time?
Mar 29, 2018 2:32 PM

Dec 2015
I say 9/10 bit it was more like a 8.5 rounded up. (There weren't many other good shows this season. Only this one and 3-gatsu no Lion as 9 and Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens with 8 for me. Others only 7 or lower.)

Liked the characters and the calm scenes and the atmosphere. Especially the stuff with guys is what I like. With rivals, friends and stuff like that. Here it was the old writer friend of Kondo that got shown a few episodes ago.

It felt like they were a bit faster at the end (someone mentioned they adapted 1-32 and 37-40 as chapters so they skipped a bit) but I guess this was so they could reach this point when Tachibana decided to run again. Which is a nice point to end it. Especially if they never plan to make a 2nd season.

This way it feels okay even with season 1 as standalone. (I still might read the whole manga once it is fully available in English to read online somewhere.)

At the beginning until the writer guy appeared pacing-wise this felt great. Probably the best anime I've watched from that studio. For Shingeki for example I wished for a faster pacing in S1.

Also compare to Scum's Wish (Kuzu no Honkai) this is a looot better (I had that one only 6, here I scored 9). The studio is good at "technical" stuff and at adapting (choosing a good pacing). They should to more serious shows and stuff that could get adapted fully in 2-cour.
LuthandoriusMar 29, 2018 2:35 PM
Mar 29, 2018 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
A sweet ending to a heartwarming show. Like others in this thread have mentioned, the shift in focus in the second half wasn't as interesting, but the show itself was still enjoyable to watch. I was skeptical about the subject matter going into the show, but it was handled rather tastefully. It never felt too weird or creepy.

Art/animation was great, the music was nice (thank you Aimer for another great song), the story was good, but my main gripe is that I wish some of the other characters got more focus. Oh well, there's only so much that can be done in a 12 episode anime.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 29, 2018 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
Whoa there this was another fabolous episode and this brings to end of this show.. Really not a fan of romance genre but this show managed to hit me upon when I started to realise what this show was actually mainly going into. I thought some of the midst/earlier episode quite slow/drag-ish (maybe this show could fit well into 11 episode or could have develop side characters) and until later really turned out to be something meaningful show toward the ends. As well as the ending was immense satisfying and somehow I am glad they didn't show us "after 1 year later"/ timeskip scenario (which leaves upto our imagination).

Overall: 8.5/10. This was actually my personal favorite show in this season~ (while HTR as second)

By the way, most importantly imo I also think that older audience might be able to value this show alot..

removed-userMar 29, 2018 3:54 PM
Mar 29, 2018 2:57 PM

Aug 2013
This anime started as a romance story between a highschool girl and a middle aged man. Then half way through the series, it changed to them recovering and chasing after their dreams once again together as friends. To be honest, I am not a fan of this sudden shift of direction. However, I doubt that's the problem with the original source, but the 12 episodes limit.

Animation and music are great. ED was my favorite of the season.

I am still bothered by Akira keeps calling Kondo "manager" even outside of work. If they are really trying to hammer home about their friendship, there should have been a change to that.

Overall, The sudden shift in direction After the Rain took in the latter half of the series was awkward, but it was still a fun ride.
6/10
Mar 29, 2018 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
As I wrote in previous episode thread, I wish this series was about Kondou only. Or at least told from his point of view. I liked Tachibana but felt she was not given enough space to properly develop as a character. While Kondou was just so damn interesting with every episode. And his friendship with Chihiro was really great. I was more invested in those two than in KondouxTachibana.

But straight drama about two middle-aged modern writers probably wouldnt sell as well as a taboo romance. But thats just my cynicism coming through. Havent seen Rakugo yet, but from what I heard, that may scratch the itch this anime created.
Mar 29, 2018 3:18 PM

Jan 2018
It ain't a bad ending
but i really want everything to be resolved
at least 1 more episode where they show the epilogue or some shit
and, yes, the series should be longer cuz the supporting characters are really one dimensional

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 29, 2018 3:21 PM

Jun 2017
My heart was not prepared for this...although i already knew it, someone on youtube spoiled me, saying thaht they didn't stay together just saying "i needed a shelter from the rain, it is ok now" then they fought for their dreams and...just that, but this anime ending make me confused, like Tachibana said...they will run after their goals and if they get them they will go out together? :(

i know that it would be really difficult cause hey! this history and its feels are really similar to reality but...i just really want to see them as a couple :(
"Gradually Watermelon"
Mar 29, 2018 3:22 PM

Jun 2017
I wasn't a fan of the huge direction flip either so it gets a solid 7/10 from me.
Mar 29, 2018 3:33 PM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

That is, do you think that he too fell in love with her by this time?

That's how I understood it. What kind of love, I don't know exactly but it was a kind of wish, like how Tachibana wished she would have run to kiss him. On the other hand they still both follow their own paths for now but that kind of promise at the end let the shippers a bit more of hope than with the manga.

Actually the presentation of the conclusion is a lot more positive and hopeful than in the manga (from what I understood, my japanese is not good yet), for kondo's writing (did he finish and wrote the koiame book ?), for a Kondo-Tachibana possible encounter in the future and even for Yui.
Mar 29, 2018 3:38 PM

Oct 2013
It seems that Kondo had fallen for Tachibana by the end. The imagined embrace was fantastic and I had wished it was real. It also seems as if the two will grow apart as Kondo concentrates on his novel and Tachibana on track and then goes off to college.

I'm giving this thoughtful show a 9/10.
Mar 29, 2018 3:44 PM

Jan 2017
As far as final episodes go, this one was perfect. Even though you can feel that there is more to the story, everything was wrapped up nicely in the end. Overall the show gets a 8/10 from me.
Mar 29, 2018 3:46 PM

Sep 2016
rodolfoemiliano said:
Someone knows wthat's the next one in NoitaminA?
This is noitaminA's next anime for the spring season
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35968/Wotaku_ni_Koi_wa_Muzukashii
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 29, 2018 4:00 PM

Sep 2017
While I really liked the romance here, and the series is pretty good, I wouldn't give it an 8 despite the advancements that have been made in the development of the characters I really wish that they would have used the whole "He's old enough to be your father" part of the romance to present a bit more drama, especially seeing what it could do after the whole cinema incident of this series' first half.

The ending is good, but it's pretty obvious that it leaves some space for a second season. However, this is a series I would recomend for the romance fans that are a bit tired of seeing your typical highschool story and want something a bit different.

7/10.
Mar 29, 2018 4:41 PM

May 2015
What an incredible finale, probably the best finale this season, and incredible show overall! Definitely my second favorite this season. I absolutely enjoyed this show. From the usage of visuals, the music, to the poetic nature and metaphors. Honestly, in the end, the age gap didn't bother at all. It felt incredibly natural to me.

Really sad to see this go. Guess it's time to pick up the manga now.

10/10.

Mar 29, 2018 4:54 PM

Mar 2015
YAY! They love each other.

Seriously though, I have enjoyed this series very much. 8 / 10.
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 29, 2018 4:57 PM

Oct 2016
imo a very good end, i like the way how it finalize.
Mar 29, 2018 4:57 PM

Jun 2013
@PolarCyrus97 thank you so much!
Mar 29, 2018 5:02 PM

Dec 2014
well was really expecting something but ohh well... it was fun while it lasted
Mar 29, 2018 5:37 PM
May 2015
Good ending, that is all I need.
Mar 29, 2018 6:32 PM
May 2017
I was concerned about 'Koi wa Ameagari no You ni' story to become a middle-aged man fantasy but its story developed itself in a beautiful way and ended pleasantly. Both Tachibana and Kondou became more mature and learned something invaluable for their lives. Much grateful.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 29, 2018 7:01 PM

Jun 2014
I think we all went into this expecting happy and mushy love story; But this ended up being so, so much more. This wasn't hardly a romance story at all. This is a story about a girl who let an accident be the reason for abandoning her passion, and become distanced from her friends, and instead chose to pursue an impossible relationship. Akira has to fake interest in Kondo's passions to try to gain his attention. But in doing that, she only realizes how much she misses her own passion. Kondo has also allowed his circumstances to fall away from his passion and his friends. This story is about these two individuals reclaiming their passions.

I completely did not expect this series to progress in this way. Im giving this 9/10
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2018

63 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2018

62 by bakakisima »»
Apr 1, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2018

84 by bakakisima »»
Apr 1, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2018

70 by bakakisima »»
Mar 30, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2018

135 by bakakisima »»
Mar 30, 12:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.