Forum Settings
Forums

Is it so hard to come up with unique and refreshing designs?

New
Mar 17, 2016 1:11 AM

Aug 2013

aren't viewers supposed to recognize each character from each anime?

I can't even distinguish them from one another in my head :/
SherlupinMar 17, 2016 1:18 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 17, 2016 1:12 AM

Mar 2008
I take it that you're an accomplished character designer then. Good on you, hitting those lazy rotten frauds where it hurts.
Mar 17, 2016 1:17 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
I take it that you're an accomplished character designer then..

no, but as I said, it's best both for the designer and the viewer to have an anime whose characters are unique and easily recognizable

it's problematic if many characters from different anime look the same

do you not agree with that ?

Nov 2012
Really, who gives as shit as long as they look fine?

Also lol at confusing Michiru with Usagi

Mar 2015
It is really hard for me. XD

BTW, does it matter? lol.
This salad is salty favored

Oct 2014

Along with certain Japanese fetishes there is also something known as "generic cuteness" which prevents characters from looking too different from one another. Some characters are unique, but most will share some similarities. Mangaka don't always make sure that a character design hasn't been used before when they initially design their characters.
Mar 17, 2016 1:19 AM

Aug 2013

these are triplets, right ? with different hair color
Mar 17, 2016 1:21 AM

Oct 2014
Sherlupin said:

these are triplets, right ? with different hair color
You could say that. BTW only one of them doesn't have a go-to weapon. Guess which girl.
Mar 17, 2016 1:28 AM

Dec 2015
Well...Prison School has a unique character design...

But ye most of dem anime characters r really getting recycled
Mar 17, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2009
Well they do only have two dimensions to work with and unlike real life, making a character ugly tends to be a bad idea so that's a good chunk of possibilities gone.

Anime faces have so little detail in the first place that hairstyle and random accessories is really all that separates one character from another, and there are only so many hairstyles before you get into ridiculous territory.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey

Jan 2016
The thing is, a lot of designers want to keep their designs realistic, and if you haven't noticed, realistic for guys in Japan is normally short to mid length, straight black hair.

Girls are usually designed a bit more uniquely, because they are normally the main focus of the show, but it is true that designers cater for certain character tropes, or fetishes, and end up with pretty similar designs.

I have to admit, I appreciate it when people put a lot of effort into trying into trying to make unique and awesome designs for their characters, and break away from established tropes! It really does add something to the anime ^^

Mar 2008
Sherlupin said:
no, but as I said, it's best both for the designer and the viewer to have an anime whose characters are unique and easily recognizable
From a marketing standpoint? Sure. Once you have a viewer, I think distinctiveness within the show would be more important.

it's problematic if many characters from different anime look the same

do you not agree with that ?
It's also problematic when I cut my nails too short, but it has yet to stop me from using my fingers when I feel the need.

If you truly cannot recognise a main character on a week-by-week basis, either there's something gone horribly wrong in the art department, or perhaps the crux of the issue lies with yourself. Are you perhaps watching too many anime at once? Are you taking proper breaks, allowing you to absorb what you're watching? Have you been under a lot of stress lately? Getting proper sleep?
Mar 17, 2016 1:41 AM

Apr 2013
*looks at OP's avatar*
Well that's a generic protagonist design if I've ever seen one.
Mar 17, 2016 1:46 AM

Feb 2015
because of fetish maybe ?
something like pony tail, long hair especially twintaill for girls XD
but i agree with you, and i think it is hard to come up with a really unique character designs because there are many people draw an anime character out there so it is not suprised if suddenly a person draw an anime character which look the same like the others. so i think it is really hard, well, it won't be hard if they have amazing imagination skill :D

"they think they just make a really unique character design that is not exist yet. but the truth, his/her character design look the same like the others"
YizelTroMar 17, 2016 1:49 AM
Mar 17, 2016 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
Gator said:
*looks at OP's avatar*
Well that's a generic protagonist design if I've ever seen one.

yeah, i know right ?

I can't even distinguish him from the first picture
Mar 17, 2016 1:50 AM

Jun 2007
Given how badly fans react when they encounter character designs they're not used to (e.g. older anime), I can't blame designers for maintaining consistency.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Mar 17, 2016 2:01 AM
Jan 2016
To me all those male characters you gave as examples look different and I doubt I would mistake them, even though I only know one of them. Their overall design may be very similar, but each of them still looks different enough. It could get slightly confusing if they all appeared in a single show, but having a token "normal looking guy" is perfectly OK.
Mar 17, 2016 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
All the males that listed are very distinguishable. So I don't what's the fuss all about.
Mar 17, 2016 2:45 AM

Sep 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

Along with certain Japanese fetishes there is also something known as "generic cuteness" which prevents characters from looking too different from one another. Some characters are unique, but most will share some similarities. Mangaka don't always make sure that a character design hasn't been used before when they initially design their characters.

I really feel like I recognise the character on the right but I'm sure I haven't seen the other two she's in the pic with. It's rather strange lol.
MazMar 17, 2016 2:54 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 17, 2016 2:49 AM

Apr 2014
It's far better than trying to make an ugly character just for the sake of originality.
Mar 17, 2016 3:17 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, character design is hard. There are only 16 colors, and only so many popular hair styles.
There is little need for characters to be distinguishable between different shows in the first place.

-Maz said:
zombie_pegasus said:

I really feel like I recognise the character on the right but I'm sure I haven't seen the other two she's in the pic with. It's rather strange lol.

The girl in the back is the tsundere from Kiniro Mosaic.
The girl on the left is the military girl from Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka.
The girl on the right is the shovel girl from Gakkou Gurashi.
The white thing on the stand is Tippy, the grandfather/rabbit from Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka. The setting seems to be the cafe/bar from the same series.

The girl from Kiniro Mosaic has a notably different personality from the other two, but their personalities are distinguishable too.
Mar 17, 2016 3:19 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
Yes, character design is hard. There are only 16 colors, and only so many popular hair styles.
There is little need for characters to be distinguishable between different shows in the first place.

-Maz said:

The girl in the back is the tsundere from Kiniro Mosaic.
The girl on the left is the military girl from Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka.
The girl on the right is the shovel girl from Gakkou Gurashi.
The white thing on the stand is Tippy, the grandfather/rabbit from Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka. The setting seems to be the cafe/bar from the same series.

The girl from Kiniro Mosaic has a notably different personality from the other two, but their personalities are distinguishable too.

That makes sense then, if it's multiple characters from different series. Thanks ^^
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 17, 2016 3:23 AM

Jul 2015
I prefer generic character design than ugly one
Just look at ping pong
Mar 17, 2016 3:29 AM

Jul 2014
alternatively, you could actually make an effort to tell them apart
Mar 17, 2016 4:04 AM

Apr 2014
Do you know how many characters there are? Seeing that anime characters have a lot less details in there face than actual humans makes it harder to come up with original designs. And if you do try to come up with original designs, you get weird shit like Shiki.
Mar 17, 2016 4:20 AM

Feb 2010
I think those characters are still distinctive enough to tell them apart. I mean you can tell real people apart even if they have the same hair-color and -length, right?
I prefer those designs over randomly attaching weird hair colors to people just so you can tell them apart. Most japanese do have short-ish, black hair after all.
Ideally we would have more designs that actually draw detailed facial features, like back in the 80s and 90s but sine everyone here hates how old anime look that wouldn't solve the problem either.

Not everyone can design characters like Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Yoshitaka Amano or Nobuteru Yuuki. And more importantly I don't think the majority of anime fans want designs like these nowadays. They're 'outdated'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 17, 2016 4:23 AM

May 2015
Unique? No.
Refreshing? Depends.

It's easier to draw the regular MC when adapting a show you aren't putting effort into. + if it's from another source, they have to stick with the characters design.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 17, 2016 4:40 AM

Jun 2015
Well, they are most likely all supposedly Japanese dudes so it makes sense that they look similar (RACIST!), I'm guessing their designed to look like your average not bad looking dude.
Making characters look different is easy, although it might not be such a great idea. For certain reasons that probably have already been mentioned by others in this thread so I'm not gonna spill it.
And I like to draw, and I have a bunch of character designs... and I must say... Lots of them look almost bloody the same... except for the freaks with certain parts of their faces split, or the really big muscle dudes that look like animals... Buuuuuut I'm not even a good drawer so what do I know! :D
Mar 17, 2016 4:54 AM

Oct 2013
You really can't tell those apart? They're similar yes, but they each have some differences.
Mar 17, 2016 5:43 AM

Apr 2014
Sometime, what distinguish a character is not the design but more to the artist drawing style, just like people already said in this thead, hair style and color is limited so it's only natural for character to look like another character, that's why the artist drawimg style is important to make a character refreshing and distinct with another.

Some mangaka had a distinct drawing style that even if they had similar design, you could tell who draw them.
e.g If Oda (One Piece), Kubo (Bleach), Isayama (AoT), Araki (JoJo) and Akira(Prison School) were to draw a character with the same design, you would still be able to tell who draw who.
Mar 17, 2016 8:34 AM

Jul 2012
Try watching more movies those tend to have anime characters that are more unique looking.
or older anime
Mar 17, 2016 9:06 AM
Jul 2015
This may have already been said but the main reason character designs seem to be so lackluster (at least for males) is that a lot of male protagonists are designed for other people to self-insert themselves into the story. If the design is too unique, then the audience is going to have a tough time self-inserting. I hate self-inserts more than most other things, so I REALLY dislike bland character designs, but that's the reason why that happens.
Mar 17, 2016 9:30 AM

May 2015
Actually, there is variety in the designs of these females. They're based on the same idea, but each take it to slightly different directions.

You do have a point about the guys. In many male-targeted shows, there is no effort put into the males' design because they're not supposed to be important. The girls are the center.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 17, 2016 9:35 AM

Jun 2012
The individuals subscribed to this publication known as anime desire their product to have a certain aesthetic applied to it. It is less about laziness than it is about conforming to the needs and desires of your customers. If your lack of appreciation for manga or your lack of experience of this medium were to be shed, you'd be able to open doors that would lead you to beautiful horizons where you'd see things you have not seen before.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 17, 2016 9:37 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
what is the issue lol?

you think humanity as a whole really look that much different from each other?

certain character designs are just more popular than others, so you tend to see those more
Mar 17, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2013
Sherlupin said:

aren't viewers supposed to recognize each character from each anime?

I can't even distinguish them from one another in my head :/
i think you will find anime like Sushi Police more to your liking
Mar 17, 2016 2:08 PM

Nov 2015
I have more problems with that (mostly light novel adaptations) have designs that do not look good in motion.

But overall I am not really bothered by it most of the time, definitely would appreciate more variation tho.
Experimenting more with the shapes of the body and head can make the animation really shine.
Mar 17, 2016 2:12 PM

Jun 2013
Your exemples are pretty bad.

And how is Usagi not a unique design lmao
Mar 17, 2016 2:23 PM

Mar 2016
Now compare that to the diversity of western animation. :P

Mar 17, 2016 2:26 PM

Mar 2016
SuperRed said:
Really, who gives as shit as long as they look fine?

Also lol at confusing Michiru with Usagi

Lol. You can really see this individual's investment in the medium as a whole.
Mar 17, 2016 2:45 PM

Mar 2016
NNick said:
All* I'm asking for is a female protagonist with pants instead of skirt - that would be a good beginning.

Behold.

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Kim-Possible-Season-01
Mar 17, 2016 5:17 PM

Sep 2014
NNick said:
All* I'm asking for is a female protagonist with pants instead of skirt - that would be a good beginning.

One of the best female character I've seen. Compared to her, Erza Scarlet is a joke...
Mar 17, 2016 5:20 PM

Apr 2014
This is nitpicking at its finest mate.
Mar 17, 2016 5:22 PM
Apr 2015
Protaku said:

But, but... all Asians look the same, we can't blame him guys
Mar 17, 2016 5:25 PM

Nov 2014
Guys,these are carbon copy, amiright?
Tentology said:
Protaku said:
But, but... all Asians look the same, we can't blame him guys
That's racist.

Mar 17, 2016 5:44 PM

Feb 2013
If only all anime characters looked like Yu Gi Oh characters.

Also, aren't three out the first set of pics supposed to be somewhat ordinary teens who don't stand out? (Hyouka, SAO, and School Days)
Mar 17, 2016 5:44 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Even in your example, I'd say they are still recognizable from each other, and there are tons of different anime designs out there. This is really a non-issue.

Veredin said:
Now compare that to the diversity of western animation. :P

If we can shamelessly cherry pick:
Disney/Pixar:

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 17, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2015
> it's harder to draw detailed face.
> detailed face = detailed expression.
> harder to draw = more time to draw.
> detail drawing =/= automaticaly sell good
> mangaka schedule is fucked up.
IE: detail drawing = more effort = need more time and money.

now imagine those strugle in animated form which mean they draw it repeatedly, so is those struggle. well, those above struggle can be simply resolved with CGI. lOl.

this is also reason why osamu tezuka adapting "moe" style from western with oversimplyfy character and face design. it exist not for no reasons. this is also give chance to not really skilled mangaka to draw manga. it's also make making manga much easier and faster. so does animated it.

TL;DR
>yes
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 17, 2016 6:07 PM
Jan 2014
Most Japanese people looks the same
Mar 18, 2016 4:46 AM

May 2015
Kuma said:
> it's harder to draw detailed face.
> detailed face = detailed expression.
> harder to draw = more time to draw.
> detail drawing =/= automaticaly sell good
> mangaka schedule is fucked up.
IE: detail drawing = more effort = need more time and money.

now imagine those strugle in animated form which mean they draw it repeatedly, so is those struggle. well, those above struggle can be simply resolved with CGI. lOl.

this is also reason why osamu tezuka adapting "moe" style from western with oversimplyfy character and face design. it exist not for no reasons. this is also give chance to not really skilled mangaka to draw manga. it's also make making manga much easier and faster. so does animated it.

TL;DR
>yes

The problem isn't the lack of details. Tatami Galaxy also has few details, but the few that are there are varied and different.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - 12 hours ago

29 by DigiCat »»
40 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 2 hours ago

8 by JoeChip »»
45 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9113 by Kenny_Stryker »»
1 hour ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

29 by Chileno-12 »»
1 hour ago

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - Jun 6

47 by Entity72 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.