Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm..

That was well, confusing but tense especially in the first power. The Divine power is kinda obvious and we even get some info dump about their properties. Hope we learn about the essence of the Divine Gate soon as that was also talked about in the episode.

We get some introduction of a strange kid with connections to the Divine Gate. All else aside, I think the episode dropped a lot of plot elements that needs to be expanded for rest of the season. Wasn't really impressive but maybe it has potential. Akane is alright character, pretty normal actually.

That song though. Also, Aoto is a mysterious character and what he did (4 years ago...) is thrilling enough so I hope we learn more about his side of the story. (note: he claims is true about his killing...)
Stark700Jan 8, 2016 7:20 AM
Jan 8, 2016 7:55 AM
Apr 2013
Silly and forced drama.
Jan 8, 2016 7:59 AM

Jul 2012
Well that was good first episode.

The plot so far is straightforward... hopefully it deeps as the show progresses.

We learned a good bit about Aoto and his backstory of why he is so cold... and about the Divine Gate too.

So is the Arthur guy suppose to be a reference to king Arthur and his knights of the round table.

Also, the OP is simply amazing! So far it is the top contender for best OP of the winter season.

~Great first episode!!!
neonBdragonJan 8, 2016 8:03 AM
Jan 8, 2016 8:04 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Man, those introspective dialogues are hilariously melodramatic! "You're a liar, but you aren't. You seem cold, but you aren't. Just like your cold heart, you can only eat cold food." LOL. Well, you know what? This show seem decent, but it won't be. Just like it's dull exposition, it can only be substandard at best.

The OP song is cool though.~

Jan 8, 2016 8:06 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Good first episode, I really like the colours and the art style plus the animation was pretty good too

I thought that Akane was going to be the main character based on all of the promos so I was surprised to see that it was actually Aoto lol, but when I think about it, that's a good thing since his character has more to work with

I can more than relate with him considering that he was probably compared with his brother constantly and when it was found out that he wasn't as promising they neglected him which is something that no child should have to experience so I feel for him there

Other than that, I like the concept behind the world with the Divine Gate, the three races (Humans, Fairies and Demons) as well as this whole Academy and Round Table type of thing that they have going so I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this will play out

The main cast are alright, I love the action and lastly the OP is pretty cool too
TokoyaJan 8, 2016 10:00 AM
Jan 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2015
That Voice, could it be... Monokuma?
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 8, 2016 8:18 AM

Jun 2012
I like the typical shounen feels and plot. It's generally something that I enjoy. Melodrama and edginess are just making me annoyed though. They always have to add some cold and deep as fuck character that puts a damper on everything. Still, I am interested enough to stick with it.
Jan 8, 2016 8:19 AM

May 2010
Man do i have a bad feeling about this going to shit sooner or later..
Jan 8, 2016 8:24 AM
Nov 2015
I liked this episode. Of course it won't be a top tier anime but it has the potential to be exciting and entertaining.
Aoto seems like a cool character and Akane somehow reminds me of Natsu from Fairy Tail.
Hoping for more deep plot in the next episodes
Jan 8, 2016 8:25 AM

Sep 2014
MC is so edgy, I almost got cut while watching this.
The sun is a deadly laser
Jan 8, 2016 8:26 AM

Jun 2012
EyepatchKK said:
Akane somehow reminds me of Natsu from Fairy Tail.

Red haired fire user MC that seems like an idiot and also has same VA as Natsu? I wonder why they seem similar :D
Jan 8, 2016 8:32 AM

Mar 2014
Everything about it was really cliche, some nice visuals tho.
It could do something if it explores its world and characters properly tho, but the world seems huge and there's a lot of characters so yeah.
Jan 8, 2016 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
I thought this will be like Gate from the synopsis but it seems very different.

The character designs may seem kinda generic but for some reason I really find them great. Probably has to do with the shading.

Damn the cast is insane. Lots of top notch VAs here.

Loving the Ogata Megumi monologues.

Aoto is a pretty interesting character edgy tho. Looking forward to see his development

Loved the OP a lot. Visually it's stunningly beautiful and the song is cool
Barion-ZaraJan 8, 2016 8:47 AM
Jan 8, 2016 8:45 AM

Aug 2010
Mascera said:
That Voice, could it be... Monokuma?

Nope, it's Chiranosuke from Punchline
Jan 8, 2016 8:50 AM

Jan 2012
How come the burnt guy disappeared? Not even ashes? Where did the guys at the beginning go? the ones trapped with the girl? And really police or whatever always arriving late huh
The attacker was not arrested thanks to the academy students or whatever.. they just came in when he was already out... I don't like they get the credits for it

The hair shadows are weird... so much black

Poor Aoto. He sure had a rough childhood... his parents and brother are so very cruel
Jan 8, 2016 8:57 AM

Oct 2014
The only good things in this ep is opening song and colourful "Divine Gate" inscription. Hope that it will become more interesting, but it crushed all my previous hopes already.
Jan 8, 2016 9:00 AM

Apr 2013
PizzaWarrior said:
The only good things in this ep is opening song and colourful "Divine Gate" inscription. Hope that it will become more interesting, but it crushed all my previous hopes already.

I feel the same way... though half-way through the episode i started getting used to the voice actors.
That's usually a big thing for me... the voice actors were perfect for these characters.

Jan 8, 2016 9:02 AM

Dec 2008
Akane (Kakihara, Tetsuya) voice: I here Natsu and Galette des Rois Gaul voice shifting, it's funny :).
Jan 8, 2016 9:03 AM

Feb 2014
That was rather lackluster. I guess it was okay. Just nothing really stood out so overall an average episode. If this is going to be one cour it probably won't be worth a watch but maybe if its two cour it could be good.
Jan 8, 2016 9:04 AM

Feb 2015
''While the water may fill up the hole on the road, it will never fill up the hole of one's heart.''

Aoto's quite the emo poet. His past is definitely interesting.

Okey-ish 1st ep. Not much explanation on the whole Divine Gate thing but they'll probably reveal more in the coming eps.
SchwingBonerJan 8, 2016 9:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2016 9:05 AM

Jan 2014
3edgy5me.

Jokes aside, it was a rather decent episode. I liked the art style the show presented to use and the OP was catchy with some nice, fluid animation to boot.

Guess I'll continue watching it then.

Also, calling it now, it'll be around 12-13 episodes.
Jan 8, 2016 9:05 AM

Feb 2014
That's really dramatic from the start. I'm still confused about what was going on, but the animation looks great. Based on the ending theme (or OP), there are 6 elements here?

The world looks interesting. I still wonder what the "Divine Gate" is.

Hope it won't end up like God Eater.
Jan 8, 2016 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
Yeah, not anything that was super amazing but I guess it was ok? I'm not really sure if I enjoyed it. The shadows were really weird. I did like the scenes with that little kid though. And the ED was pretty good! Let's just hope it gets better.
Kerozinn said:
Man do i have a bad feeling about this going to shit sooner or later..
Jan 8, 2016 9:22 AM

Apr 2013
Interesting episode I guess and the OP song is decent. The MC seems like a potential poet.
Jan 8, 2016 9:23 AM

Apr 2015
Kinda reminded me of god eater, which is not a good sign. I kinda found some of the voices annoying as well. Still gonna give this another chance or two though
Jan 8, 2016 9:35 AM

Apr 2014
Decent start. The visuals were pretty good but the MC needs to tone down all that edge. Also
LeFlower-kun said:
The MC seems like a potential poet.
Jan 8, 2016 9:39 AM

Jun 2014
It was all right I guess. Kind of difficult to judge how the rest of it will be just based on the first episode, but it has potential. Now whether or not it embraces that potential is the real question. Hopefully the next episodes are better.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 8, 2016 9:42 AM

May 2015
good setting boring dialogues mc is so emo just gonna see if it progresses well
Jan 8, 2016 9:44 AM

Apr 2015
Hmmmm it was ok I guess. Nothing special in the story that can impress me yet so far. The op/ed song is kinda catchy and I like it.
I hope it'll gets better later.
3/5
Jan 8, 2016 9:47 AM

Aug 2013
Cancer visuals with tons of super ugly CG. It looks horrible. This 3DCG environment makes my eyes bleeding. Everything seems out of place/proportions and dimensions.
Plot seems boring. Very average start. And cancer funi subs in addition :|
The only good point of this show is soundtrack (background music)
Z4k said:
Decent start. The visuals were pretty good

Tokoya said:
Good first episode, I really ok the colours and the art style plus the animation was pretty good too

So.... I watched different show, right?
rsc-plJan 8, 2016 10:02 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 2016 9:53 AM

Aug 2015
where did you watch the episode ?
Jan 8, 2016 9:55 AM

Sep 2011
Hmm not terrible but none of the characetrs clickd with me to be honest the mc is far to introspective for my taste but due to his painful upbriging I guess I can understand it I mean not gonna drop it yet but didn't wow me or hook me just yet.
Jan 8, 2016 9:57 AM
Oct 2012
Lyrisia said:
How come the burnt guy disappeared? Not even ashes? Where did the guys at the beginning go? the ones trapped with the girl?

That was the major weakness of the episode, another includes the overly "K"/"Arcania Famila" feel to it. But that said, this show demonstrates how to make a first episode appealing enough to warrant a second episode even if one has doubts about the series ultimately being worthwhile. Plot wise it serves as an example of what Active Raid failed to accomplish.

My guess is that Aoto had been marked by the other races long before and they are the ones playing with his mind and getting him to think he did it. That such entities exist is the "truth" that Arthur mentioned.

Well, lets see what the second episode brings, this type of beginning generally produces a series that goes up (rarely) or crashes and burns quickly.
Jan 8, 2016 9:59 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
rsc-pl said:
Cancer visuals with tons of super ugly CG. It looks horrible.
Z4k said:

Tokoya said:
Good first episode, I really ok the colours and the art style plus the animation was pretty good too

I guess so lol

Personally I feel like the visuals if anything was one of the best aspects of it
Jan 8, 2016 10:09 AM

Jan 2014
That was... well, I expected more. I'm seeing an incoming Chaos Dragon 2.0 from this but I can only hope not.

On the positive side, Based Hitorie playing based animu songs. Hitorie is now for normies. It was fun while it lasted though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2016 10:12 AM

Apr 2013
Tokoya said:
rsc-pl said:
Cancer visuals with tons of super ugly CG. It looks horrible.

I guess so lol

Personally I feel like the visuals if anything was one of the best aspects of it

The visuals are okay, but don't really like the character designs.
Jan 8, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
rsc-pl said:
Z4k said:

Yes.. you sure did.
Jan 8, 2016 10:16 AM

Nov 2015
Not bad for a first episode. This show just only has began, so I think it will get better.
ChihayaAyase700 said:
where did you watch the episode ?

I watched it on animerush.tv ^-^
Jan 8, 2016 10:23 AM

Aug 2015
Not bad for episode 1 , i like the openings . The animation looks pretty cool .
Jan 8, 2016 10:25 AM

Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Lyrisia said:
How come the burnt guy disappeared? Not even ashes? Where did the guys at the beginning go? the ones trapped with the girl?

That was the major weakness of the episode, another includes the overly "K"/"Arcania Famila" feel to it. But that said, this show demonstrates how to make a first episode appealing enough to warrant a second episode even if one has doubts about the series ultimately being worthwhile. Plot wise it serves as an example of what Active Raid failed to accomplish.

My guess is that Aoto had been marked by the other races long before and they are the ones playing with his mind and getting him to think he did it. That such entities exist is the "truth" that Arthur mentioned.

Well, lets see what the second episode brings, this type of beginning generally produces a series that goes up (rarely) or crashes and burns quickly.

Right on that... many flaws but still interesting enough to watch a 2nd episode though I still don't think I'll watch this one much longer
Well yeah I'll just assume it will crash anyway
Jan 8, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2011
Akane will melt Aoto's cold heart
Jan 8, 2016 10:29 AM

Jul 2013
The Aoto guy was so angsty I want to cut myself when he has his drama moments. Other than that, I liked the setting, nothing original, but enjoyable. The fire guy reminds me of Natsu from FT a lot (fire + same seiyuu).

Let's see how this will continue.
Jan 8, 2016 10:33 AM

Jan 2013
Main character's inner monologues are the most pretentious stuff I've heard in a while.
It's funny how the terrorist at the beginning info dumps the shit out of the viewer. Very imaginative bad way to explain your dumb world.

Pretty bad. Not even going to give it 3 episodes.
Jan 8, 2016 10:45 AM

Apr 2014
Interesting enough and kinda already like the characters.
Jan 8, 2016 10:46 AM
Jan 2016
looks so nice anime!!
Jan 8, 2016 11:03 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It certainly has potential. I like the art style. At least this was one of the first episodes that didn't go incredibly fast or introduce a million new things like others did.

It was a little boring though, hopefully things pick up.
Jan 8, 2016 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
well there suspence is at it is but am still confused on the whole divine gate thing.
Jan 8, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2010
Well, I actually hope that it was true that MA killed his parents.

1. they deserve it.
2. it would make his character much much deeper... rather than ah, only I am unhappy in this world, why is it unfair!? Cry!!!

Unfortunately we already got confirmation from the "little guy" that he didn't kill them which is the shame.

Generally though, while the overall quality of the anime (animation, sounds) was quite good. The characters are rather simple and repetetive... we even have "the twin evil brother!"... (well seeing that MC was called older brother by him says they aren't twins, but that's not the point).

The heavy drama was also too much. Really how long can one stay gloomy after their parents die, especially when those weren't any nice parents. Seeing the environment that MC lived in and the fact that his parents died, right now his character should have turned out differently.

In the end though, it wasn't that bad, maybe the story will turn out okay.
Jan 8, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
It wasn't awful so that's a start. Hopefully this will become more battle-centred later on because as of now I just don't see anything else that could make it worthwhile, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 8, 2016 11:16 AM

Aug 2014
Interesting 1st episode. Not sure what to say about the characters though, they have potential but will have to wait and see on that.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» End of Franchise

klakson188 - Nov 24, 2021

7 by GGyouuuuu »»
May 24, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

140 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

50 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 28, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2016

134 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 2:50 PM

» Didn't hate nor did I really like it

lola_ - Oct 21, 2021

3 by Br3dWinn3rs »»
Jul 1, 2022 10:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.