Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2009 5:52 AM
Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If you're new to the series, what do you think of it so far?
If you're rewatching, have you noticed any small details you didn't pick up last time?

I'm completely new to the series and I'm liking it so far.

Usagi seems like too much of a sook to be a Sailor Scout, but I'm sure we'll see character development as the series continues.

I watched the first episode in both English and Japanese, and I definitely preferred the sub.
The names were changed, as were details in the dub.

There's one thing that has been bugging me though: Usagi had only found out about the existence of this 'Sailor Moon' character, let alone that she IS Sailor Moon. When Morga (was that her name?) asked her who she was, she responded saying that she was the Scout of Love and Justice? How did she know that? Did Luna tell her on their way there? Was it just instinct? What are your thoughts?
Aug 4, 2010 1:12 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, the subbed is completely different to the dubbed ones that I used to watch when I was younger.

Sailor Moon is probably the one of the only animes that sound good when dubbed as well.. but then again it was cause I was used to it.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 4, 2010 9:23 PM

Sep 2010
Anitnelav said:
Wow, the subbed is completely different to the dubbed ones that I used to watch when I was younger.

Sailor Moon is probably the one of the only animes that sound good when dubbed as well.. but then again it was cause I was used to it.

i completely agree with this
Nov 1, 2010 3:31 PM

Apr 2010
Wow-A-Leaf said:
There's one thing that has been bugging me though: Usagi had only found out about the existence of this 'Sailor Moon' character, let alone that she IS Sailor Moon. When Morga (was that her name?) asked her who she was, she responded saying that she was the Scout of Love and Justice? How did she know that? Did Luna tell her on their way there? Was it just instinct? What are your thoughts?

Maybe Usagi had a vision or sth ^^

Recently I re-watched SM, but that episode seemed to be completely new to me O.o But if I remember correctly I started wathing SM in the middle of first season when I was a child, so that's probably the reason why I can't recallthis ep.
Dec 25, 2010 9:01 PM

May 2010
Wow, this is so much better then that saturday morning cartoon I used to watch when I was a kid!
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 30, 2010 11:25 AM

Mar 2009
Wow-A-Leaf said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
If you're rewatching, have you noticed any small details you didn't pick up last time?

I never noticed how Tuxedo Mask did nothing but throw roses and run away.
Jan 2, 2011 5:31 AM
Dec 2010
JUST finished ep 1, for the first time, and I must say.. LOVING IT!!!

I've heard of Sailor Moon for years.. But never really got to watch it.. I finally started watching it today and it is MAD cute!!! But not so cute that I feel gay watching it! Not that it's wrong being gay! :) I have gay friends. Anyway. Usagi is amazingly charming, and I feel attached to this main characted already! Can't wait to see how it goes into the other epiosodes!

I love 80s and early 90s anime and cartoons!!! <3
Jan 15, 2011 8:02 PM
Sep 2010
Wow-A-Leaf said:
If you're new to the series, what do you think of it so far?

I'm completely new to the series and I'm liking it so far.

Usagi seems like too much of a sook to be a Sailor Scout, but I'm sure we'll see character development as the series continues.

I watched the first episode in both English and Japanese, and I definitely preferred the sub.
The names were changed, as were details in the dub.

sailor moon (i watched the dubbed, she's called serena) was/is? a fan of sailor v, maybe she remembered something about sailor v?
Mar 20, 2011 8:56 AM
Nov 2010
Oh man this bring back memories...

Though I always thought Usagi was the first Sailor in the series. Apparently that Salor V became a magical girl before her.
Aug 4, 2011 9:58 PM

Sep 2008
I tried to put on my nostalgia goggles, but I really don't remember much about Sailor Moon since I watched it dubbed more than a decade and a half ago.

I love Usagi's voice though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2012 10:50 PM

Jun 2012
I used to watch this show when i was a kid.. havent seen it in forever and im quite glad i decided to start the series again. I missed this show and forgot how awesome it was.

I love Luna the cat shes so adorable i've always wanted a cat with a crescent moon >.<
Jul 31, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2012
I watched a few episodes of Sailor Moon when I was younger, and then a few once more when I was a preteen because my friend was in love with the show. But I never actually watched it all the way through.

So now, I'm trying to catch up on classic shows - Sailor Moon being one on my list. After watching the first episode, it makes me really miss when cartoons taught lessons and things like that.

I prefer the sub over the dub - considering the voice acting can be a little lack luster at times in the English version, but their are so many episodes and reading subtitles takes up all of my attention so I'd rather watch the dubbed so I can just relax, haha.
Nov 3, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah, it's so strange watching it subbed! I like it though. It brings back memories. I'll never forget the opening theme song~
Dec 29, 2013 12:17 AM

Aug 2007
I was a complete tomboy, so I overlooked Sailor Moon often.
The most I really remember is the opening theme or the end of episodes while I was waiting for something else on Toonami to come on in 1999 and then it later appearing on Kids' WB in 2001.

I usually will picked dubbed over subbed (unless the voice acting is unbearable), but in this case I'm going dubbed. I've always heard a lot of content was changed and it appealed to the younger children in the US versus early teens, and I don't want to miss things!

Feb 7, 2014 3:49 PM
Mar 2013
Ah, it's good to be back. I'm rewatching this series for the first time in anticipation of the Sailor Moon remake in July 2014 . Hopefully it doesn't get delayed again >.>

Anyway, I'm watching it dubbed, and I was taken back by Serena's english voice. But by the end of the episode I was completely fine with it again. Like fitting on an old glove.

I remember her VA changes after a few episodes, but I'm not sure when. Maybe in the next 6-7 episodes.

I forgot that in the earlier seasons of Sailor Moon they always included a little life story/lesson at the end. I particularly enjoyed this one because it talked about believing in yourself.

Also, it was great to see all of the original cast i.e. jedite, molly, and even melvin. This is going to be one nostalgic re-watching.

On to the next ep!
Feb 28, 2014 11:49 PM

Jan 2011
I think the life lessons are only in the dubbed version since it was treated as a kids cartoon rather than an action/comedy/romance. I watched the dubbed version with my daughter who had a complete set of Sailor Moon paraphenalia (tiara, wand, etc.) years ago as my first anime. But yes, it is now time to re-watch the whole series in prep for the remake. Already I can see so many improvements in the subbed version. Catchy as the English OP was, I much prefer the lyrics of the Japanese version which emphasizes the romance.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 25, 2014 7:40 PM
Jan 2013
I'm watching this to see what all the fuss is about.
Not impressed, so far, but I'll keep watching, for now.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 1, 2014 12:57 AM

Jan 2014
Bunny is cute, don't remember her to be so likable. Probably because I don't remember
most of the stuff about Sailor Moon. It's been a long time, plus I'm not even sure
whether I've even watched all of the episodes... I don't think so. That's why I'm here,
watching this oldie, I guess.
skreyola said:
I'm watching this to see what all the fuss is about.
Not impressed, so far, but I'll keep watching, for now.
The fuss is about childhood memories. Nostalgia. And besides, it is enjoyable,
especially for kids but for older ones too if you're open-minded.
Jan 7, 2015 4:16 PM

Jul 2009
Just watched the Sailor Moon so called "BD" by Viz. It's not that bad, but man they really screwed some of the scenes and it appears more blurry than the TV version.

I also compared the Crystal Version, it's almost similar, but this one seems more light hearted and they actually gave other characters more screen time instead of just Usagi-only centric in Crystal.

Not bad, but damn Viz either needs to hire a new encoder and use the Italian DVD's which i read is even better than the Japanese one. At least the audio is much better and more high quality compared to the DVD's

Can't wait for the next episodes though!
Mar 12, 2015 11:17 AM

Aug 2013
I couldn't help but smile at Usagi's antics, And tuxedo mask is voiced by Toru Furuya which is always a good thing.
Apr 3, 2015 3:54 AM

Feb 2010
I'm new to the series, though it's pretty famous in my country, started watching it after they relesed a remake. I didn't like new art, comparing to the old, so I'm sticking to a remaster of the original SM.
I'm actualy quite surprised by how this show manages to be charming and interesting to a grown up me, while being simplistic with it's plot and having a girly heroine. I've started to like it from the beginning.

As for Love and Justice thing, I think it's an instinct and also a show-off, like her fancy moves. This story is like theater performance, sometimes plainly so (I watched a few ep's before commenting) and not trying to be realistic in form, but as a good tale is realistic in essense, using ideal ideas (like astrological-alchemical symbols) to make a relatable and likeable characters in a familiar setting. It can be powerful if done right. It's curious, how the authors use western astrology for their story.

It's somewhat like pre-christian religious performance with gods (planets) and spirits and heroes, symbolising real processes and life-lessons, rather than mindless entertainment and fan-service. I have a special liking for such symbolic shows, and SM is fun too. I also like it's rock-opera kind of music, it adds to epicness and theatrical feel.

I'm also glad to see, that graphics is very good for it's time, the designs are cute and directing is adequate so far with never a dull scene, it aged well.
burbelsApr 3, 2015 4:04 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 30, 2015 8:50 AM
Oct 2011
burbels said:
I'm new to the series, though it's pretty famous in my country, started watching it after they relesed a remake. I didn't like new art, comparing to the old, so I'm sticking to a remaster of the original SM.
I'm actualy quite surprised by how this show manages to be charming and interesting to a grown up me, while being simplistic with it's plot and having a girly heroine. I've started to like it from the beginning.

As for Love and Justice thing, I think it's an instinct and also a show-off, like her fancy moves. This story is like theater performance, sometimes plainly so (I watched a few ep's before commenting) and not trying to be realistic in form, but as a good tale is realistic in essense, using ideal ideas (like astrological-alchemical symbols) to make a relatable and likeable characters in a familiar setting. It can be powerful if done right. It's curious, how the authors use western astrology for their story.

It's somewhat like pre-christian religious performance with gods (planets) and spirits and heroes, symbolising real processes and life-lessons, rather than mindless entertainment and fan-service. I have a special liking for such symbolic shows, and SM is fun too. I also like it's rock-opera kind of music, it adds to epicness and theatrical feel.

I'm also glad to see, that graphics is very good for it's time, the designs are cute and directing is adequate so far with never a dull scene, it aged well.
Sailor Scouts are basically a shout out to sentai/power rangers, only they where school uniforms instead of weird armor.
Jun 15, 2015 8:48 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah, well, that too, but obviously SM is meant for older audience and is more complex (not the first time japanese improve on western ideas).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Apr 27, 2016 1:20 AM
Sep 2015
I never saw this show in any language except Canadian English—the DiC/CWi dub. But all Viz Media did was lock me and all other Canadians out of this show completely.
May 9, 2016 5:04 PM

Jul 2015
It was ok, not really into it now but it might come
Oct 16, 2016 9:35 AM

Feb 2015
I have the next week off so I decided to sit down and watch the first episode.. and gotta say it had me smiling almost half of the episode :D

Hopefully I can finish this quickly and move on to the sequels
May 24, 2017 9:14 AM

Jun 2013
Does a good job as a first episode, and I found myself having more fun than expected. The music is very 90's, fortunately it's pretty catchy.

I really like the visuals so far, and Usagi has a lot of flexibility in her animation (like excellent timing and a wide range of expressions). Though I assume the transformation sequence will be copy-pasted once per episode from now on, it's at least very pretty. Really makes me appreciate how much the old school professionals were able to achieve without digital processing back then.
Jun 5, 2017 7:18 AM

Mar 2012
I really enjoyed the 1st episode, looking forward to completing this series :3

One little thing that bothers me is her name: Tsukino Usagi (Moon's rabbit?), Usagi sounds really weird to me x.x
Jul 31, 2017 3:25 PM

Mar 2012
it's funny to watch this now. feels like it's my first time because back when i was a kid I didn't watch it seriously and can't really remember much.
from what i can tell from this episode, the western version changed a lot from the original, so i'm pretty excited to see how the story unfolds. (specially haruka and michiru ❤)

usagi is a pretty funny protagonist. she can get a bit annoying, but it is already refreshing to see she's not perfect.
Aug 20, 2017 1:23 PM

Feb 2008
I can't recall any of the details of this show. I'm sure I watched it at one point as a child but my brain draws blank. I enjoyed this episode a lot, will definitely keep going as this is one of those classical shows that are a must watch for everyone.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 10, 2018 1:35 AM

Feb 2014
She's like a more tolerable female version of Nobita.
Not a bad start at all. Usagi with her whiny airheaded personality is pretty funny.
Aug 25, 2018 12:09 PM
Mar 2018
This was a very good start to the show. I love "ordinary person winds up in fantasy events" premises and thus I found it very interesting. I like Usagi's crybaby klutz personality. The visual humor was sooooo good, I love the facial expressions. And the weird/creepy part at the end with Usagi's friends mom and the entire jewlery store being possessed and having all their energy sucked out was really cool.

I think i'm gonna like this.
Nov 26, 2018 7:17 PM

Jul 2015
"In the name of the moon, I will punish you!"

Oh boy, if I told the 10 years old me that now that I'm 23 I would be watching the series that I avoided like the plague (for some reason I can't remember) after rewatching Sakura and Doremi, I think he would think that I'm on drugs.

Really nice first episode, Usagi seems to be my type of character, I laughed quite a lot with the comedy coming from her (please no bulli Usagi), also Tuxedo Mask appeared, don't tell me that the "but you did nothing!" Hilarious meme was fake q_q
Dec 9, 2018 4:09 PM
Jul 2009
Watching the Viz dub which is much more accurate than the one from the 90s I had seen some episodes when I was a kid but this is my first time watching from the beginning. I really like it! I remember thinking this show made no sense when I was a kid but that's probably because I was watching it out of order.
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Jan 23, 2019 9:49 PM

Sep 2017
I just loved that a second after Tuxedo Mask said "crying won't be helping", crying did help, lol.

Totally didn't know it's that good when I was a kid. I was in pre-school while it was airing in my country and became a hit. I avoided it because, you know, boys get laughed at for watching girl's cartoon at that age. Oh boy how much I regret buying into that silly mentality now. (Yet later when I was just a bit older, I would be secretly watching Sakura and Doremi for every single week.)
Jan 25, 2019 9:29 AM

Jun 2015
wow she IS a crybaby. I thought it was a joke in the beginning of the episode but she actually defeated the monster by crying.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 20, 2019 10:32 AM

Aug 2008
Boy I forgot how the demons in this show can get real scary. That 180° head curve o.o
Dec 28, 2019 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
I wonder who Tuxedo Mask really is......
Jan 28, 2020 5:31 PM

Oct 2019
I'm rewatching the series for like the 1000x time. The first episode is still one of my favourite episodes, haha!
Jul 10, 2020 4:26 AM

Aug 2016
First time adult watcher, heard about, but never saw any of this show and I'm actually impressed with that first episode. A fun watch, never knew she was such a crybaby, love that it's actually a power. Monster mum looked awesome and love that the main guy is called Tuxedo Mask, because he wears a tuxedo and a mask.....lmfao.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Nov 11, 2020 10:30 AM
Feb 2020
I'm watching this for the Comedy Dic Dub. I watched the Viz Dub which is more accurate and couldn't finish the episode.

I'm here for the laughs from the original English Voice Cast. The exaggerated Joisey (Jersey) Girl accent is laugh out loud funny.

Rui_ReiNov 11, 2020 10:35 AM
Dec 4, 2020 11:32 AM

Dec 2014
First time watching, I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura as my main magical girl show, I'd never heard of Sailor Moon until much later. I find it funny because what made me start watching this after all these years is because I found a really cool poster of Sailor Moon that I wanted to buy and I generally only get stuff from shows I've watched so here I am.

For starters I will say, this is great. I've watched 5 episodes at this point (Subbed). There's a distinct nostalgia from the 90's art style of the show, the character interactions and even the way it's animated. It's extremely inviting, full of charm and bustling with personality. Tuxedo Mask cracks me up each time. The soundtrack is fantastic, I find myself head bobbing each time the "Sailor Moon" or the battle theme go on.

I'm kinda sad that I somehow missed this during my entire childhood, I hadn't even heard of it before I got into high school but nevertheless I have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy this one a lot.

I never the knew the "You did nothing" meme was just made up but it suits the scenario so well. xD
Jan 4, 2021 10:18 AM

Aug 2020
I had to watch this because I loved the aesthetic, and it's very good so far! It must be what Winx Club was inspired from, the transformations look so similiar.
Jan 14, 2021 1:24 PM

Nov 2016
Oh the nostalgia. I loved this as a child and in fact it was one of the very first anime I remember watching. I did a soft rewatch as a teenager and after all these years I got curious again how this anime would hold up to 23 year old me. And I gotta say it started off wonderfully. The style and comedy are better than I remembered them to be, or it's just that I took them for granted back then. In any case, I'm sure that I will find new appreciation for this series with this rewatch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2021 7:13 PM
Jan 2021
This came to Italy, my home country, in 1994 if I remember well. I was 9 or so and we all played Sailor Moon at school. Even one of the boys always wanted to play with us.
I remember everyone wanted to be Sailor Neptune. At that time my favourite was probably the least popular one: Sailor Mercury.
My memories are very faded but I remember buying some merchandise as well back then.
I watched the first 3 seasons. Till the one with the various Sailor Neptune, Uranus etc but it was so long ago that I would need to rewatch to remember details. I intend to start rewatching it at some point this week.
Usagi was Bunny in the Italian adaptation and we got a lot of censoring which I found out about only many years later when I got the Internet.
This anime takes me back to happier and innocent times when I was a primary school kid with no cares or pain.
It's probably the biggest anime we got to watch in the 90s in Italy. I watched so many classics as a kid. They don't make them like that anymore. I had even started watching a copycat one called Wedding Peach but they were broadcasting it in the middle of the night and I gave up keeping up with the episodes also because I was supposed to be sleeping and had to keep the volume low so couldn't hear what was going on well lol.
I definitely recommend Sailor Moon. It's a classic of the 90s. For us who were young kids back then it was pure escapism and so enjoyable.
Apr 27, 2021 12:04 AM

Jan 2021
She sure is a crybaby!!!
Sep 12, 2021 12:16 AM

Apr 2020
i am crazy enough to be enjoying this in 2021
water
Jan 24, 2022 2:48 PM

Jul 2021
Damn, here I am, watching my first episode of Sailor Moon in 2022.
Mar 1, 2022 12:07 PM

Jul 2019
This is my first time watching so I have no nostalgia for this. My first impressions are this show is extremely cute and charming, so I am looking forward to watching more.
Apr 7, 2022 10:14 PM

Feb 2020
i've read a few chapters of the manga so i'm not entirely new but this was a good episode!

usagi is funny
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yonatay - Dec 9, 2009

53 by satyrelfheim »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 33 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

41 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 32 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 12, 2010

28 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sennin_Darkissa - Apr 12, 2009

52 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 8:35 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 30 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 12, 2010

28 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 8:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.