Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2009 6:05 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Mutineer" might be the best of any of the LOGH Gaiden sub-arcs. I'll be giving the series a full-point bump for this one.
Feb 9, 2010 4:03 PM

Jan 2008
I agree fully. Some of the best episodes in the Gaidens, and even in the overall of all the LoGH material.
Sage
Jul 24, 2010 8:07 PM

Apr 2008
How are you even watching episode 18 when there's no subtitles?
Jul 25, 2010 12:27 PM

Jul 2009
jkun said:
How are you even watching episode 18 when there's no subtitles?

Central Anime subbed it. They have translated all except 2 last episodes so far.
Sep 26, 2010 8:35 AM

Sep 2008
Another epic lotgh death! I just love how that guys redeemed himself at the end...kinda sad but fitting all the same.
The coolest scene of the whole gaiden was when the sub-captain and that big guy (aniki) went out to fix the thruster. The way their steps were making marks on the extremely hot hull...and their suit's glass burning was... sweet!. And when the sub cap got hit by the star wind...
T_T
eyerokFeb 21, 2012 8:21 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 26, 2010 8:38 AM

Sep 2008
cant see my post right now so have to edit this into it later...

I forgot about merketz, they mentioned his ship rescued Hamlen II. I thought we were going to see him but they didnt show him :(
I hope we do get to see some of the other supporting cast from the imperial side before the Gaiden is done
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 1, 2010 9:39 PM

May 2010
Those must be some space suit to withstand that heat...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 15, 2011 7:54 PM

Dec 2008
That was a great arc, probably the best of both Gaidens so far, it felt like I was watching the 110 episode OVA again.
Sep 30, 2011 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
I guess I'm the only one who thought this arc was rather average? I did like the attention to detail with the Sub Captain outside the ship, though. Otherwise, it was okay.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 18, 2012 3:20 AM

May 2009
Eh, it was good that the Sub Captain redeemed himself and regained some depth to his character after the previous episode.

It was a good arc overall, though, mostly because we get to see how Reinhard's beliefs and convictions and his leadership help him win people over and gain their support.
Apr 6, 2012 5:31 PM

Mar 2012
absolutely brilliant ending - the 'permission to leave ship' section had the same feeling of epicness of those type of scenes in Battlestar Galactica (new series) which I love...
Dec 8, 2012 6:07 AM

Oct 2008
Loved this arc. The way the sub captain burned like that was scary.
Oh and Merkatz!
Jul 27, 2013 5:24 AM

Mar 2012
insan3soldiern said:
I guess I'm the only one who thought this arc was rather average? I did like the attention to detail with the Sub Captain outside the ship, though. Otherwise, it was okay.

I agree. To be honest I prefer Silver-White Valley to The Mutineer. Might just be my preference, but each of them had their merits.

Great arc overall. Shame Merkatz didn't show his face.
Oct 14, 2013 3:01 PM

Nov 2009
Really? This was some people's favorite arch? I much preferred the "A Hundred Billion Stars, a Hundred Billion Lights" arch . . . Anyways I did like this arch. Too bad Reinhard didn't also get credit for his wise decision in not getting killed with the rest of the ships at the beginning of the ambush, though knowing how stupid the Empire is he probably would have gotten reprimanded for not dying a glorious death in the ambush.
Dec 20, 2014 1:48 PM

May 2012
Awesome ending of this arc! Really liked this arc so I do wonder what will happen next!
Feb 24, 2015 6:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great short arc. It's always interesting to see the interactions between the officers and the enlisted men in the Empire.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 28, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2012
Even the doctors of the Empire dress fancifully. 😃

So the First Officer sacrificed himself to save the man who's brother he killed.

Was anyone reminded of the live action Sci-fi Sunshine?

I was kind of expecting Zaidel to blame Reinhard or Schmitt for his brother's death, I am glad he didn't.

Onto the next arc!

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 17, 2015 2:59 PM

Sep 2010
Dang that guy lost his brother and someone he trusted. R.I.P first officer you redeemed yourself.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 9, 2016 2:36 AM

Feb 2013
He killed the little brother but saved the big brother, I guess that counts for something in the end.
Too bad Reinhard will leave from that ship, I started to like the entire crew.
Jul 1, 2016 5:47 AM

Feb 2016
Very nice arc. I like how it spun what was passed off the incredibly cheesy one dimensional villain trope into something entirely different. The first officer was the anti-hero, he may have gotten a kick out of ordering aristocrats around but he was validated in the end as a knowledgeable, honourable and courageous soldier worthy of respect.

One thing I think the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu franchise does well is taking into account the geography of space, whether in space travel or warfare.

I mean it was tragic yet emotionally stirring when you see from the perspective of a terrified helpless soldier as the walls gets cut open by lasers before they get flung out of space screaming. Star Wars despite being a huge influence on military space operas wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, instead opting to tell a story about cute 1 metre furries to take up an entire triquel.

Seeing the 'footsteps in the sand' as well as using 'astronaut intuition' of using the sun to get themselves out of a precarious situation due to engine failure. Just ingenious.
Cloud_IllusionJul 1, 2016 5:51 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 30, 2016 10:41 AM

Jun 2016
This arc was brilliant, definitely one of my most favourite arcs in the entire LoGH series. Pleasantly surprised to say the least. :)
Nov 15, 2016 12:11 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
With this chapter ends "Mutineer", four episodes full of emotion, action and drama!!!

The wars and the heroes, all is the same amount the light there was dark!!
Dec 13, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
Always astounds me that even though the writing of the show may be average in summary, the execution is the GOAT
Jul 29, 2017 12:00 PM

Mar 2016
so that's where the famous image of the men dumping water on themselves came from
sure is hilarious out of context
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 2, 2019 6:41 AM

May 2016
Best arc so far, excellent execution, the guy paid for his sins but his death was far more horrible than I imagined the heat from the red giant, that's so hard to imagine the pain.

Good ending to the still curious about who moved the ship when Reinhard rescued Rolf.
Apr 8, 2020 11:19 PM

Feb 2017
Best episode of the OVA so far. Sure it was cheesy at times but still awesome.

Mar 2, 2021 3:25 AM

Aug 2015
Just awesome!

Reinhard is truly destined to become a leader.
Feb 8, 2023 1:03 AM

Aug 2018
And so a very interesting and great arc comes to a close, Mutineer is truly a perfect name for an arc like this.

By the end every character seemed to have been redeemed and concluded at least for now, even Lieutenant did the sacrifice worth high admiration and respect. Captain really is a great person that doesn't let his background get in the way

Glad that Reinhard decided its time to move on something else but it really feels like he won't be forgotten by these people anytime soon

Apr 7, 2023 5:52 AM

Jul 2017
loved the arc, loved the ending.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 28 Discussion

ChaosLegion - Oct 31, 2010

21 by Unkrowned »»
May 1, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 27 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 20 Discussion

eyerok - Sep 29, 2010

20 by Ten »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 2 Discussion

eyerok - Aug 12, 2010

13 by Ten »»
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 1 Discussion

Ralonzo - Aug 8, 2008

30 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.