Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2010 3:56 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The final arc of this Gaiden - "3rd Battle of Tiamat" was finally translated by Central Anime.
Although it was only two episodes,i was glad to see Reinhard in action again.Also there were a few funny moments on the ship while Holand was still attacking the Imperial forces.

But anyway,it's too sad that with this there's no more of LOGH :(

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 4, 2010 10:03 AM

Sep 2008
' pioneers are always called insane, but being insane doesn't make you a pioneer' -Bucock.

lol Holland is soo stupid!
Kircheis is kind as always..("kircheis, you are a great man!")
Now we know how he got brunhilde...nice!

The narrators ending lines were epic:
"That is the beginning of a grand epic, and the moment when the wheels of galactic history began to turn...in some ways it may have been a moment of happiness, and they believed that this moment would last forever"

too bad it didnt last long

ChaosLegion said:
Also there were a few funny moments on the ship while Holand was still attacking the Imperial forces.

But anyway,it's too sad that with this there's no more of LOGH :(

QFT!
yeah the last 4 eps had some really funny moments
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 11, 2010 8:29 PM

May 2010
Finally!!! It is over!! Now I can start watching the main series, 110 episodes.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 7, 2012 5:54 AM

May 2009
That moment when the Brunhilde was revealed was really exciting for me. It was wonderful seeing them running towards it. And of course, everything Reinhard owns, Kircheis owns half. Their friendship is the most beautiful fictional bond I've ever seen, seriously.

And yup, I agree, the narrator's final words were apt.

And so this is the end of LoGH. :'( My life may as well be over. Oh no, wait, I've got rewatches to look forward to.
Nov 23, 2012 10:14 AM

May 2008
I enjoy Reinhard's arc, but dislike Yang arc.
Dec 12, 2012 10:02 PM

Oct 2008
It ended nicely. I really liked how they showed us how he got that ship and I also liked how they referenced "my conquest is the sea of stars".
Overall it was great, but it wasn't as good as "A hundred Billion Lights" imo.
8/10
Wait.. I have no more LOGH to watch! NO!
Oct 16, 2013 3:41 PM

Nov 2009
And with that I have run out of LoGH . . . T_T . . . I'm surprised I liked it so much, even after I knew it was very good, I found myself sad when the main series ended . . . Anyways, good series, and a cool ending.
Dec 23, 2014 12:46 PM

May 2012
Great ending of this arc and well with 4 more episodes to go in the last arc of Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Gaiden: Senoku no Hoshi, Senoku no Hikari I do wonder what that will offer us before the actual main series!
Jan 23, 2015 6:51 PM

Jul 2011
koreye said:

"That is the beginning of a grand epic, and the moment when the wheels of galactic history began to turn...in some ways it may have been a moment of happiness, and they believed that this moment would last forever."

THIS. I was wondering how it would finish off, but the reveal of Brunhilde (beautiful) and the narrator's concluding words were excellent. Left a good feeling.

Now I feel like re-watching the main OVA so I can re-appreciate everything. :O
Feb 26, 2015 1:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This rewatch was well worth it. While not on the level of the main series, it's still one heck of a great watch. It's particularly satisfying to see much more of Kircheis for reasons to all known.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 8, 2015 8:14 PM

Apr 2012
What a satisfying ending. From my personal watching perspective the story seems to have come full circle, seeing as the ending references the battle in My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, the first LoGH thing I watched.
Jul 9, 2015 7:40 PM

Sep 2010
Holland is an idiot plan and simple. After finishing the main series the ending to this made me sad. Dx

9/10 I was quite upset that Yang's arc was so short and a big piece of it was about Bruce Ashby. That is my only real complaint for this gaiden. At least he gets more attention in the main series so...
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 10, 2016 10:48 AM

Feb 2013
Holland was too small to even understand what happened in the end, it was nice to see them like kids again running towards Brunhilde.

6/10 for the OVA overall, the only good parts were the stories about Reinhard, the Yang ones were boring and didn't have anything worth mentioning in the end.
Oct 23, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2016
I liked how that power-drunk dumbass Holland didn't even get to shout "NANI?!" with a dumbfounded look before being vaporized by Reinhard.

Brunhilde, Brunhilde. :') Wow, with this, everything comes full circle. No more new LoGH for me to watch. (Until the 2017 remake, WOOHOO!)

This series had its ups and downs. The Spiral Labyrinth arc suffered in terms of pacing and was very inconsistent, but the rest was pretty darn good - especially the anime original arcs. 8.5/10.

Now to stop myself from watching the original series again and ruining my life.
Dec 2, 2016 4:42 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Reinhard in 3 mintues end this battle!!!!!

Now is Admiral and have his personal starship, Grunhild!!! Beautiful ship!!!

bla, bla......Yang, eternal rival, .....bla bla

8/10
Feb 20, 2019 9:49 AM

Jun 2008
That ending nicely tied the LoGH universe together. A strong 8/10 for me.
Sep 5, 2019 9:33 AM

May 2016
Nice way to end it, kinda feel sad, I wished they covered Reunthal and Mittermayer encounter as well. strong 8/10.
Apr 12, 2020 7:35 PM

Feb 2017
LMFAO at how pissed off Reinhard got when dealing with that gray haired soldier.

Oct 14, 2020 10:52 AM

Aug 2012
Going to be honest and buck the trend here but apart from The Mutineer I found this Gaiden series to be really lackluster.

The Spiral Labyrinth was very underwhelming, all the stuff about Ashby and Co just wasn't that interesting. Yang got to shine in his own laidback methodical way but it wasn't the showcase of Yang's rise through the ranks that I expected.

The Mutineer was honestly great. It had a strong plot throughout that got really tense and exciting. It was good enough to be the plot to a summer blockbuster Sci-Fi film.

The Duelist was awful, truly awful.

The Retriever was okay, it had it's moments but wasn't anything too interesting.

The Third Battle of Tiamat didn't really add much. Watching via the modified release order this arc directly followed the A Hundred Billion Stars, a Hundred Billion Lights arc and suffice to say in that context these two eps just felt like the same thing. With Rienhard outsmarting all those around him including his Imperial brothers in arms.

Anyway yeah for me I just didn't get much out of this Gaiden series. Ultimately I think I got fatigued as much as anything. I came to both these Gaiden OVA series directly after finishing the main OVA and I think these prolonged and subpar quality additions to the epic after a while did less and less for me. Also I was disappointed how little of Yang's rise we got. I mean substitute out Duelist for more Yang anything and I might have been more interested.

Also the change to Digital Animation was a weird one. Cel animation was still mostly the norm at this point so it's surprising that after all this time they would decide to change the whole animation style, which while cheaper in theory would have still been probably more expensive long term as it would involve completely redoing EVERYTHING near enough with most of the older reference material obsolete.

So yeah 6/10 for me. With Mutineer, abit of the Retriever and at least some Yang stuff saving this from a 5/10. For reference I gave the main series a 9/10 so it's not like I dislike LOGH or anything.

Feb 14, 2023 11:21 AM

Aug 2018
Very satisfied with ending of this,

Reinhard and Kircheis really shown everyone the excellency of strategy that hasn't been seen in ages. And thats how I finaly understood where and for what they were given such a beautiful ship in the first place.

That final moment of them behaving like two children was delightfull and shows that they still have that kind of friendship and goofy side of them that is very rarely to be displayed.

Great finale of this Gaiden,  now onto the movie I suppose....

Apr 20, 2023 10:34 AM

Oct 2014
I absolutely loved this. I'd been saving these extra episodes for around 5 years since I first watched LotGH and they didn't disappoint at all. Apart from perhaps some of the 14 episodes of the Ashby saga (which I still loved if not purely for Yangs moments) every other episode was just as well written and enjoyable as the majority from the main series.

I already love most of these characters so much but seeing more of Reinhard and Kircheis was probably the best part of it all. Kircheis especially who unfortunately had to die early on in the main series is now firmly my 3rd favourite right behind Reinhard and Yang. This guy is every bit as talented as Reinhard while being the ultimate bro and such a great guy overall.

Schonkopf had a lot of nice backstory but even the little moments for characters like Hilda were endearing and really nice. That black haired baroness was great too it's been so long I'm actually not sure if we saw much of her in the main series but it's awesome that Annerose had a friend and that Reinhard at least had someone to depend on in that environment.

This made me want to rewatch the main series or at least certain moments like Reinhard first hearing of Yang. Such a beautifully crafted series in each and every detail.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 27 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 20 Discussion

eyerok - Sep 29, 2010

20 by Ten »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 2 Discussion

eyerok - Aug 12, 2010

13 by Ten »»
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 1 Discussion

Ralonzo - Aug 8, 2008

30 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:53 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 25 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by TrevRockOne »»
Sep 13, 2023 11:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.