Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2018 3:28 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Things really are taking a turn for the serious now. Not sure what Ryo's end game is here as the guy is a complete psychopath. It took a long time for rape to appear in any fashion in this given that it's a Go Nagai adaption but it was quickly ended in bloody fashion.
Jan 5, 2018 6:36 AM

May 2017
I wasn't in for some Christian propaganda.
art and sound is still great
Jan 5, 2018 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
Miki's brother is now a demon too?
everyone's turning into a demon now

ah I have only 3 eps left
Jan 5, 2018 2:07 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
And we're here for the meat of Devilman, the part that I thought was the truly amazing thing from the manga, despite its issues. The anti-war themes are still present in this anime, which is nice. A lot of nice things are added to this adaptation though. The way social media comes to play, the way this anime handles Taro's character, and Ryo's a complete psychopath. He was a creep in the manga too, but his lack of presence in the manga made his role ineffective. In the anime however, he feels more believable. I feel like a part of Akira actually knew that Ryo will turn out like this, but he kept deceiving himself to think that Ryo would do everything for the better of humanity. But Ryo's on no one's side, and has a neutral perspective on everything.

5/5
Jan 5, 2018 3:07 PM

Mar 2014
Welp let the witch hunt begin. Shit has officially hit the fan
Jan 6, 2018 2:27 PM

Apr 2015
Okay, I officially hate Ryo. What was his end goal with making Akira a Devilman and exposing demons to the world? The entirety of humanity is in a state of panic, demons are now openly terrorizing the world since they've been exposed anywhere, and Akira can't protect them because the rest of the world can't tell the difference between a demon and a Devilman. Akira might be a crybaby, but Ryo's a cold-blooded psychopath.

The mom took devil-possessed Taro to a church service? Why are people at church in this state of emergency? What is this church service going to do for your devil-possessed child? Unless they've got an exorcism scheduled after the service or something...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 7, 2018 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
How are these demons entering and spreading so fast to preexisting human bodies like a virus.
I don't get what Ryo even wants to accomplish, he acts pretty bipolar.
Jan 8, 2018 3:29 AM

Sep 2010
Ryo looks like a Korean boy band member. Ahem, this anime certainly did... something with the Ryo and Akira dynamic. Akira's suddenly realizing Ryo's not his ally despite Ryo never saying he had good intentions. Oh well onto the next episode. Also I would have liked a reason for the kid suddenly becoming a demon instead of inferring he found some demon pills lying around. So it's going around like a cold now? ;p
Jan 9, 2018 4:16 AM

Oct 2008
Akira is forming-up the League of Devilmen/Devilwomen! nice!
Ryo is showing his true colors!
4/5.

Jan 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Nov 2014
Ryo initiates a monster genocide that results in a lot of collateral damage. He's looked up to as a leader, and the power quickly goes to his head. Was that the start of a nuclear blast that Ryo was shitting his pants to? He's apathetic about the death of others, but is terrified of his own demise. Go figure...

5/5
Jan 9, 2018 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
christianity's god is after Ryo lol

damn i got a feeling that brother-like kid of Akira will die since he became a Devilman too
Jan 9, 2018 8:30 PM
Nov 2017
did they really have to draw the intestine of the dog? I mean like a LITTLE natrual censorship would be nice. they could have easily positioned the shot so the limbs of the dog arent shown. \
Jan 10, 2018 3:54 PM
Jul 2015
soibra said:
Miki's brother is now a demon too?
everyone's turning into a demon now
I've been wondering how the hell he got that way in the first place. Does anyone know? Plothole?
Jan 11, 2018 2:08 PM
Jan 2015
Wow! This episode really ended with a bang. The beginning rap was righteous, the raps in this show have delivered time and time again. The change in tone was appropriate too.

It seems as though overnight, people have begun to adapt to the demon threat. I could easily see the society falling into chaos, and in many ways they already have.

We got a lot of Christian imagery in this episode all at once. There were some subtle images in the beginning but here it's super explicit. Very useful to highlight the differences between Akira (God, good, sensitive, black) and Ryo (Satan, evil, ruthless, white). Really excited to see the team of Devilmen that Akira is assembling.

Questions: what was that big light? If the demons are so far up the chain of command in human society, how will they be stopped? Will Miki's brother be able to control his demon?

That scene where Miko continues to screw the dude even with his head blown off was crazy. What is the role of sex? So far we've seen the Devilmen need it, but Ryo said that it was to quell the weak *human* desires. Is sex ultimately good or bad? Where everything else is pretty clear cut, this is interesting since it's muddled but still a large part of the story.

Continuing to hope that we see more of Miko. What does she want now? Does she hate Miki? Is she trying to be good or slowly losing control?
Jan 13, 2018 8:32 PM

Nov 2014
TyCoya said:
lolidk2 said:
did they really have to draw the intestine of the dog? I mean like a LITTLE natrual censorship would be nice. they could have easily positioned the shot so the limbs of the dog arent shown. \

Considering everything else that's been in this show (drugs, sex, nude underage girls, the brutal killings of many many people) I'm surprised your biggest concern is with the dog intestine. All jokes aside, I love dogs as well and expected as much from this show considering what we've seen from it already.
animals did nothing wrong, fuck humans

Jan 15, 2018 7:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode was brutal on so many levels I dont even know where to begin.

Ryo is a big time sociopath and it doesnt surprise me if things backfire on him.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 17, 2018 3:43 PM

May 2014
I really did not expect things to go this way. And that ending, just what on earth is going on.

The music makes everything so epic though.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 18, 2018 1:32 PM

Feb 2013
Lol, Taro is a demon too.
Jan 18, 2018 9:41 PM

Dec 2009
We switched from normal to chaos fast with this episode. Kind of stupid how Ryo was calm and calculated till his plan to expose the demons was executed and then just goes full-on psychopath, either because this was his plan all along or just quickly realized that humanity is doomed. Akira should have seen it coming, honestly. He remained passive for way too long.

Taro thought demons were pretty cool et voila, he's one himself. I thought those Sabbath parties were the only way for demons to get into the human world, or is the worldwide bloodshed enough to have them spread like a plague now?

And how did Miko know where the Devilmen hideout was? She just happened to be there all of a sudden

<Little side note, it was lazy how the translator kept a large amount of the social media text untranslated. Some of it was important for the context of a scene.>

CatSoul said:

The mom took devil-possessed Taro to a church service? Why are people at church in this state of emergency? What is this church service going to do for your devil-possessed child? Unless they've got an exorcism scheduled after the service or something...

Think of it as desperation. These people are scared and turn towards religion, and perhaps the mother figured it might somehow help the demon-infested Taro.
Jan 20, 2018 4:08 PM

Nov 2016
Ryou totally lost it...

Pretty exiting development.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 21, 2018 5:33 AM

Jun 2016
And the Demons vs Humans commence because of Ryo. Lmao.

How the fuck did Taro became a Devilman? Haha. And didn't the people around him notice that he's got a big ass black eye around his eyes? Hahaha. Seriously, how did he become a Devilman? I can't remember anymore. My fucking memory.

Damn. Miko's look when she's a Devilwoman. Haha. Hottest spider demon ever. Haha. Glad Koda's safe and I hope Miko didn't harm him. Jeez.

I'm wheezing. What if Donald Trump became a Devilman, too? And he's a Demon Orange? Hahahaha. I need to stop.

Whoa. That weird big ass light, though. Ryo freaking lost it. Lmfaooooo.

4/5.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 21, 2018 7:11 AM

May 2017
SRanabhat said:

That scene where Miko continues to screw the dude even with his head blown off was crazy. What is the role of sex?

That was at gunpoint, so we could assume she made him about to climax then kill him coz he let down his guard, she didn't "continue" to screw him

Her sex scene was short but it was freaking hot, gotta see it again tbh
Jan 21, 2018 7:32 AM

Feb 2015
Ryo has completely lost it, it's kinda funny actually, Ryo is the human that acts like a demon and Akira is the demon that acts like a human.
Jan 24, 2018 9:05 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
When go to start the war nuclear, this strange "light" is stopping all!!!
Jan 25, 2018 6:36 AM

Jan 2016
Wow. I didn't expect events to take such a turn, how society has changed completely. The reveal of 'hidden creatures' never really affects society (take Tokyo Ghoul where life is pretty much normal), and sometimes the creatures are never revealed to the public at all (such as early Parasyte). This reveal had a massive effect, as it should.

The 'It's divine!' scene was also great. Telling us that Ryo, on his Twitter, loves the idea of humans fighting demons, and eachother. I have to give praise to the VA of Ryo, he's really doing well.
Also, Miki putting inspirational quotes on her Instagram. Lol, quite realistic for some celebrities.

I'm also glad that an unknown devilman appeared. It goes to show that these devilmen really aren't just limited to already introduced characters. Not sure how I feel about Koda's quick adjustment to what he has done, though.

Also, WTF is that light...?
Jan 25, 2018 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
NOT THE DOG!!!!!!
Jan 26, 2018 8:48 AM
Oct 2016
Does anyone know the name of the music that plays at 4:05? I can't find it on the soundtrack...
Jan 27, 2018 1:49 PM

Sep 2007
When did Taro become possessed? Did I miss it or did it happen in-between episodes?
Jan 27, 2018 2:51 PM

Feb 2009
TsundeReaper said:
That was at gunpoint, so we could assume she made him about to climax then kill him coz he let down his guard, she didn't "continue" to screw him

Well, actually she did. For whole six seconds, I've just counted. That was perfect illustration of her demon side, btw.

Also, rape sensitivity aside (which I sympathise with anyway), animal cruelty in a title full of extreme cruelty is a given. It's even strange (and that fact is example of a good taste imo) that they did it for the first time this far in the series. Yuasa is a real animal lover (and a vegetarian to boot) as far as I know.
Jan 27, 2018 8:50 PM

May 2017
adios said:
TsundeReaper said:

Well, actually she did. For whole six seconds, I've just counted. That was perfect illustration of her demon side, btw.

Also, rape sensitivity aside (which I sympathise with anyway), animal cruelty in a title full of extreme cruelty is a given. It's even strange (and that fact is example of a good taste imo) that they did it for the first time this far in the series. Yuasa is a real animal lover (and a vegetarian to boot) as far as I know.

Nah I watched that scene more than 10 times, I got into an argument so had to rewatch it again 10 more times max volume this time and got to the same conclusion that she didn't "continue"

You can clearly hear the sound of humps but after the guy's head was blown off, that sound stopped, and those what looked like 2 humps after the death, has a different motion compared to the humps before the death, those facts made me conclude that she's just preparing to get up

Also, that quick change of POV (less than a tenth of a second) and the fact that we haven't seen any other "suspected" necrophilia in the show, can't convince me otherwise

She's my favorite character but I'm not biased, it's an objective observation, it's actually a definite plus for me if she has necrophilia tbh
Jan 28, 2018 1:33 AM

Feb 2009
TsundeReaper said:
Nah I watched that scene more than 10 times, I got into an argument so had to rewatch it again 10 more times max volume this time and got to the same conclusion that she didn't "continue"

Well, I don't know what source you got but mine had 9 to 10 humps after death clocking from 9:38 to 9:43. I've double checked that before this post. Not that it matters anyway, just for facts sake.
Jan 28, 2018 2:13 AM

May 2017
adios said:
TsundeReaper said:

Well, I don't know what source you got but mine had 9 to 10 humps after death clocking from 9:38 to 9:43. I've double checked that before this post. Not that it matters anyway, just for facts sake.

Facts? So you're technically saying I'm lying. Idk when did you started counting but after the head was blown off, there's like 1 and a half second before the scene was over and then a flower scene. That 1 and a half second, I clearly counted 2 "humps" that has noticeably different motion compared to the humps before the death. And there's no way the source I've watched had cut scenes coz I watched a completely uncensored source
LairucremJan 28, 2018 2:16 AM
Jan 28, 2018 2:57 AM

Feb 2009
I don't have any intention to change your mind nor do I think you have anything to gain from lying. I've presented the time interval in the most popular rip you'll find on the most popular tracker nowadays (can't be more specific due to forum rules). And have nothing to add really. Whoever interested can check that themselves and see who of us was wrong with timing. Given the subject in question being so trivial, I won't go back to it again.
adiosJan 28, 2018 4:12 AM
Jan 29, 2018 10:11 AM
Jun 2017
I don't even know what to say, but like I've said in almost every episode post so far, fuck Ryo. When Ryo and Akira were discussing the fate of humanity, it reminded me of a shitty motivational speech about having control over your vices instead of the reverse. That was heightened by the reading of the bible. This martial law state of affairs really isn't surprising though, so overall I was unimpressed with this episode.
Jan 29, 2018 10:32 AM
Feb 2016
How did miko kill the dude she was fucking? Did she crush his head?
Jan 31, 2018 4:29 AM

Jun 2016
Oh hell yeah, now this is where it gets really interesting! Post apocalyptic demon war? Yes please!
Feb 10, 2018 9:25 PM

Jun 2013
Ryo's a fucking asshole. Akira knew that from the last episode.

Miko tricked a man who raped her at gunpoint but ripped off his head before climax. Thought he was gonna get to the good part, nope. Fuck him. I remember something Ryo said about devilman/half-demons needing to fuck to quell down human desires so I guess she used that opportunity and made the guy think he was in charge instead of ripping his head off immediately.

Also, I'm so stupid, I didn't realize that Miki was half-Japanese half white, until the guys who tried to bash in her brains, mentioned her eyes and asked if she was mixed. Is Ryo mixed? He's blonde as fuck, he looks more like a foreigner than Miki or her dad.

Funny how kids bully mixed kids but in reality, they're really good-looking and chosen as models/actors/celebrities in most countries. Look at Kuroki Meisa, Liza Soberano, Kristin Kreuk, Reina Triendl and Shirota Yu and many more.

I haven't been paying attention carefully, how did Taro become a demon? He just ate that dog really fast. If that triggered some of you then you probably shouldn't be watching this show.

What was that light at the end and why was Ryo screaming like a little wimp?
臭い-
Feb 11, 2018 5:40 PM

Sep 2011
And so, humanity's self-destruction begins. Amidst the chaos, Akira tries to find other Devilmen to help them. Also, Taro is a demon now. Also still, a giant sphere of light appears and freaks Ryo out. Divine intervention perhaps?
Feb 13, 2018 4:19 PM

Jul 2013
Everything is going to shit. And what the hell is that white light?
Feb 18, 2018 11:49 AM
Feb 2018
Why did Miko still keep the one guys body? Didn't she kill him or did she just bring back his remains? And why keep his glasses, did she think his friends wouldn't realise that they were his glasses?
Feb 24, 2018 12:17 AM

Dec 2014
Ryo is most likely the true villain of the show… watching it in hope of a happy ending. I am getting a feeling that I may not get my wish…. I hope not ..things just keep on getting depressing
Feb 25, 2018 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
@TsundeReaper
@adios
She kept humping him even after she crushed his head. It was mostly due to the personality-change.
There was no sound of them in distant views. Flowers appeared and withered thereafter, symbolizing decay (of her virtue).
removed-userFeb 25, 2018 8:18 AM
Feb 25, 2018 11:44 PM

May 2017
Rehls said:
@TsundeReaper
@adios
She kept humping him even after she crushed his head. It was mostly due to the personality-change.
There was no sound of them in distant views. Flowers appeared and withered thereafter, symbolizing decay (of her virtue).

Smfh read my comment #32
Feb 26, 2018 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
TsundeReaper said:
Rehls said:
@TsundeReaper
@adios

Smfh read my comment #32

There's nothing else to read, dude. 9:39 to 9:43, she humped the corpse 9 times.

I'll just give you the link.

Also, although it'd be considered necrophilia from an outside perspective, from her part (knowing her personality) he was just a toy; no different than a d_ldo. The significance of it being a body didn't matter to her; she objectified it.
removed-userFeb 26, 2018 4:12 AM
Feb 27, 2018 10:18 AM

May 2017
Rehls said:
TsundeReaper said:

Smfh read my comment #32

There's nothing else to read, dude. 9:39 to 9:43, she humped the corpse 9 times.

I'll just give you the link.

Also, although it'd be considered necrophilia from an outside perspective, from her part (knowing her personality) he was just a toy; no different than a d_ldo. The significance of it being a body didn't matter to her; she objectified it.

Guess I was wrong, she did in fact continues. My bad, sorry too @adios the source I've watched is so low quality that it basically hid the part of the zoom out like they're literally invisible on the wall of the bridge
Feb 28, 2018 2:41 AM

Feb 2009

No problem there. Like I said the matter in question is trivial. I find it even humorous that we wasted so much posts on it like here's some kind of pervert convention.
adiosMar 8, 2018 5:24 AM
Mar 8, 2018 2:59 AM

Jul 2016
ibraheem234 said:
Ryo is most likely the true villain of the show… watching it in hope of a happy ending. I am getting a feeling that I may not get my wish…. I hope not ..things just keep on getting depressing

Ryo was always going to be the main antagnosit.

His motives have always been the interesting thing.
Mar 11, 2018 3:49 PM

Jan 2015
This anime is sick in a positive way...
Mar 14, 2018 3:08 PM

Jul 2017
Ryo is turning out exactly as I expected pretty much. I seriously wonder if he is like *The Devil* or something. Really wild episode overall.
Apr 5, 2018 5:05 PM

Jun 2016
I can't say enough how much I love the rap world building openers. Time has progressed from last episode, ever since the devils were exposed, the world became anarchy. No one could trust each other and they started defending themselves and going on witch hunts. Not only this, but this anarchy has brought human life to state of nature, an animistic state where they act on their violent and sexual urges alike a demon without law stopping them.

One great example of this is the attempted rape of Miko. It wasn't even dark out. I think not only was this scene to show the dispicable level that humanity has dropped to sprinkled in with all the violence, but it was also to show some things about Miko. I think the return to her old more innocent wardrobe may have indicated that Miki saving her last episode has impacted her for the better. However, there is no shred of doubt in my mind that she took the rapist as a toy to release her sexual and violent urges together. It's notable that she was jogging in her non-demonic way which she wasn't afraid to show off, and this time alone. Nor did she go after him until he showed her he was a horrible person. To me, this all indicates that seeing the good side of Miki, alike how Akira saw the good side of the devils Silene and Kaim, has grounded her to some degree. It may have shifted her mind back to one of which was not as spite driven and more human, but also one that still wants to act on the urges it has.

This is a horrible future for Akira. Not only did he already want to upkeep human life and peace, but now he has an understanding that a devilman isn't that rare. That there are plenty of devilmen, and possibly that the devils themselves aren't that bad. He finally understands all of this, and as if on purpose the world has come to spite him, making both sides kill each other, humans kill themselves, and putting him directly in the middle. It was pretty heartbreaking to see Akira try and save that devil which fled from even him. We saw how Koda attacked Miko thinking she was a human because of a similar notion to why Ryo killed Nagasaki, "You already saw me", however the two seemed happy to be able to see each other for what they are, rather than to hide it.

Ryo is only getting more mystical and more mystical as the anime continues. The talk about this showing that humans are weak, and him telling Akira to rather observe the path humanity takes made me think this was some crazy test to see if humanity is strong enough to live, as well as an evolutionary stepping stone or something. He then looked at the bible and cited the part where it said God came back to fight Satan and I assume the bright flash represents that to some degree? Either way its confusing. What we know for sure is Ryo has switched, more prominently in the past, to a psychotic presence rather than a sociopathic one. Two interesting things are how he spoke to himself about how he never turned Akira into a devil for him to fight back for humankind with other devilmen which indicates he really didn't plan this far; although him saying to stay alive could be either because he cares about him or because he wants him for another part of his plan. That said, I think the fact that Ryo was looking at pictures of them as kids may mean it was out of genuine concern. And the scream he did at the end was the most genuine emotion we've seen out of him and it was terrifying.

People keep saying that Akira has changed but I don't know if I buy that. We saw that adorable scene where he saved Miki as kids alike how he has a few times in this series. But even if the rapper squad saved her this time, it's not like Akira isn't a crybaby who cares about everyone who he can feel has emotion, and whom cares about Miki dearly. I think he had changed, he turned into a monster. But now, I don't think he's too much different from episode 1. I once said he had more confidence, but even seeing him as a kid he had it. It's more likely that the biggest change is that he has the power to fight back, and had urges he couldn't control. I love Akira. He's adorable, his development is great, he's badass, and he's so lovable and empathetic.

I wonder if Taro had a devil merge with him because of the worldwide bloodshed, as to even summon them at all Ryo had to slaughter people at the Sabbath. I just realized when mentioning how cruel Ryo was and how Akira tolerated him, I never mentioned the amount of death he's caused just to expose devils and summon them.

There's a lot to unpack in this episode that I don't feel strong enough about to touch on. Two big things I need to know is why Miki and Miko were roaming around. The other characters like Akira or the rappers are clear, but those two had definite reasons. I wonder if Miki was out looking for Akira, I do think her new outfit is important to note, and I wonder what Miko's goal was. She jogged casually, she released some urges, she looked from her now dead grandmas special view, and confronted Koda wearing Kikun's glasses with some flashes of his hands ripped apart(with the butterfly tattoo). She and Kikun's role in the story and what happened to him are things I'm interested in but I think watching more and rewatching the anime will help put those together.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsApr 5, 2018 5:11 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

518 by jukieta »»
Jun 4, 3:25 PM

» Have a small doubt!

Jaiakazz - Apr 18

5 by catfelix »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

97 by Floral_soap »»
Feb 8, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.