3It was OK
8.4%
2Disliked it
3.6%
1Hated it
5.2%
Average 4.3
250 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2013 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
King Torture lives up to his name. Damn.

That face of his scares me tbh. Shit's getting real now: http://i.imgur.com/qCeWAhP.png
His choice of weapon is a chainsaw..fits him right.

The episode still feels awkward imo. I wonder when they will introduce the new characters. Holy shit the ending. Cat's out of the bag now. What's with the song this episode? Feels so out of place
Dec 12, 2013 11:02 AM

Mar 2010
I haven't watch it because I have exam later today, but I'm pretty excited!
Dec 12, 2013 11:03 AM
Sep 2012
Well the ending concert sure was interesting.
Dec 12, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2010
That was actually quite the epic ep.

Torture and the pincer with Moe had me cringe! That gotta hurt >~<
But how he apologized to her while kneeling was awesome! The dude is pretty BA for a villain.

His face wasn't what I was expecting though. Pretty ugly. I thought he'd look cool hehe.

Also seems like all the random explosions in the last ep when they blow themselves up had a reason. Good to know it wasn't just some random shit XD

Marie totally got owned this ep XD...Loved how Torture put her in her place and showed her how little of an existence she is hahaha. Felt so good XD Dat song while she was crying at the end was pretty good.

Gotou and Samumenco's combo battle was pretty BA! Nice.

Lol'd so much at Go-chin's gf messaging him in the middle of the shit saying are u free nxt week hahaha. "I might not even be alive" lol

I wonder who saved the Doc? was it Axe? lol

Well Masayoshi finally reveals himself. Let's see how this will go now.

Konno surviving was nice. Well, I guess seeing how Torture respects that type of people I guess he let him go.
Dec 12, 2013 11:20 AM
Oct 2011
This is trying too hard.
Dec 12, 2013 11:31 AM

Jun 2010
Ouch Mari looks broken mentally and physically. I wonder how they want to play that out.
Dec 12, 2013 11:52 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well that was quite exciting. Wasn't expecting King Torture to cut off his arm, and then to have Samumenco cut off his arm again later. And then also being impaled. Well I'm glad they survived that, seems like everything is good except Mari. King Torture was kind of an interesting character though, I like how he had a lot of respect for Moe who was willing to put her life on the line. He also made me think a little when he said that he had been preparing to be a villain but never did anything until Samumenco came along. I guess Masayoshi not only inspired Mari but also King Torture.
Dec 12, 2013 11:52 AM
Mar 2008
Wow, this is just getting worse and worse.
Dec 12, 2013 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
This is just getting better and better.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 12, 2013 12:02 PM

May 2013
Damn that King Torture. Poor Mari. She's a wreck now.
Dec 12, 2013 12:08 PM

Jun 2013
HOLY SHIT , WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ?

This episode is just epic , so much violence and blood , dang good. King Torture , the pincer and Moe - A tale of Destiny. What the fuck , I could feel the pain , jeez.

Samumenco to the rescue ! King Torture cut his arm to attach a saw , wow that was badass though they should show the scene instead of just the audio of the cutting. The 'final battle' felt a bit rushed. Samumenco-Gotou combo is badass. Idk a car was enough to change the direction of a rocket , such logic.

The ending was quite sad , I feel Mari. She realized that she has been self-centered , useless. She's mentally and physically breakdowned.

5/5 for the mindfucking plot.

tittycakesXD said:
Ouch Mari looks broken mentally and physically. I wonder how they want to play that out.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Dec 12, 2013 12:10 PM

Apr 2013
tingy said:
Well that was quite exciting. Wasn't expecting King Torture to cut off his arm, and then to have Samumenco cut off his arm again later. And then also being impaled.

Yea, and then getting up after being impaled and fighting Flamenco one last time with one arm and a huge hole in his chest.
They went kinda overboard with the action, but I actually liked it lol

Loved the teamwork between Flamenco and Gotou to save the day. That bromance though.
Dec 12, 2013 12:15 PM

Sep 2011
My journey so far with Samurai Flamenco has been erratic.

From I should watch this to I'm sooo watching this to I don't know what am I watching anymore to why am I still watching this.

Some of my questions were answered in this episode, it wasn't the big twist I was looking forward to but nonetheless it explained things to a certain degree.

So many things happened, the identity of King Torture was actually just a kid who fell into the dark side, hope they investigate deeply into this character, his past and how he got his hands on such high tech gears.

Funny how, Mari was supposed to make her debut as a superhero but couldn't since Samurai Flamenco stole the spotlight, she instead became his sort-of side-kick and then we have King Torture who was waiting for someone to take the spotlight, so he can play the perfect villain. So if SF didn't take the spotlight as a superhero none of this would have happened, since even if Mari made her debut, King Torture would not approve of her as a worthy opponent. SF was the catalyst.

He mentally broke Mari down to pieces, that ending song was very awkward to watch, heartbreaking in a weird fashion.

Red Axe to the rescue of the professor. Also King Torture base location seems to be fairly similar to the OP song robot boss fight location.
Dec 12, 2013 12:17 PM
Jan 2013
rederoin said:
This is just getting better and better.

This. Such a unique take on the whole superhero/supervillain thing. A real breath of fresh air.

I find it hilarious that people feel 'tricked' by the Guillotine Gorilla curve ball.

This series is like... They took School Days, and made it about Superheroes.
Dec 12, 2013 12:42 PM
Sep 2011
King Torture continues proving himself as the most genre-savvy supervillain ever! Plot-wise he's the perfect counter-balance to Samurai Flamenco, on par in terms of resolve and idealism.

Like Samumenco the entertainment industry or takusatsu television shows to be more precise has shaped his life. He's steadily operating on a meta-level and entertainment is the law he abides to. And what could possibly spell entertainment more than subverting the audience's expectations and some meticulously built shock value?

While he may have bitten the dust (oh, who am I kidding, guys like him always find a way to come back to life somehow), at least his actions has enabled further development for Masayoshi and Mari, showing them how half-hearted they still are in their roles as superheroes.
EudaimoniaDec 12, 2013 12:47 PM
Dec 12, 2013 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
That was pretty wonderful. I have no idea what's gonna be happening from now onward.
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Dec 12, 2013 12:45 PM

Feb 2013
This was really interesting stuff. Somehow felt kinda weird episode to me, not sure why though.

Was I the only one that was slightly disturbed by that ending concert scene? She's crying while she's all injured in a torn suit while everyone is staring and being like "Wtf happened to her?"

I can't wait for next week's episode lol.
Dec 12, 2013 12:46 PM

Sep 2011
Am I the only one who noticed how Flamenco Sapphires finger that King Tortue pinched with pliers until it bleed is magically undamaged in the next shot after he frees her and shes holding Maya.
ColdXClueDec 12, 2013 12:50 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2013 1:12 PM

Oct 2011
draker said:
Pretty much this - so Galilei Donna has flying fish, plus magical powers and it's still more realistical than this thing.

King Torture was an interesting addition, probably will be back - because why not (would actually like to see this).
On the other side I wonder how they will deal with Mari's current state. I do hope they won't forget about her as this might be quite interesting.
Dalek-bakaDec 12, 2013 1:18 PM
Dec 12, 2013 1:32 PM
Dec 2013
All I know is Manager-sans gonna be maaaaaaad.
"even if the whole world knew about my penis pump,i wouldn't care !"
Dec 12, 2013 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
Dalek-baka said:
draker said:
Pretty much this - so Galilei Donna has flying fish, plus magical powers and it's still more realistical than this thing.

R.I.P. noitaminA

I actually hoped King Torture would show us his kaiju :(
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Dec 12, 2013 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
When will this show return to normal? or at least explain this major shift in narrative?

I'm not interested in gory action... damn.
Dec 12, 2013 1:39 PM
Jul 2010
And i thought Kill la Kill was over the top. But this ... It has to be doing things on purpose because the development of main character has reached its peak as if this 'torture arc' was all about Masayoshi, as if it was necessary for it to be done this crazy stupid kind of way. All cliches from the genre were used to build the ultimate superhero personality in him. I still think the trigger was the news of the real circumstances of Masayoshi's parents deaths, and the show in the recent episodes just throwed everything in his face to help him find the answer for what to do next. I guess the show may not be going back to its roots, but it may not be a bad decision after all. Still the creators need to give a good explanation for being so over the top. But it's kind of a good show, as long as the creators are willing to risk, to use strange ideas for a greater purpose, i am perfectly fine with that. I still would have preferred the realistic direction of the story, but there is no way i could drop this show after showing this craziness. And that is quite a good show in Noitamina slot - different and not for everyone. As long as it will have a proper explanation...
Urban_DruidDec 12, 2013 1:52 PM
Dec 12, 2013 1:42 PM
Dec 2013
DNI_R said:
And i thought Kill la Kill was over the top. But this ... It has to be doing things on purpose because the development of main character has reached its peak as if this 'torture arc' was all about Masayoshi, as if it was necessary for it to be done this crazy stupid kind of way. All cliches from the genre were used to build the ultimate superhero personality in him. I still think the trigger was the news of the real circumstances of Masayoshi's parents deaths, and the show in the recent episodes just throwed everything in his face to help him find the answer for what to do next. I guess the show may not be going back to its roots, but it may not be a bad decision after all. Still the creators need to give a good explanation for being so over the top.

its a toku show. over the top is a staple of the genre. so far they've paid beautiful homage to that and I pray they keep doing so.
"even if the whole world knew about my penis pump,i wouldn't care !"
Dec 12, 2013 1:50 PM
Oct 2013
This may be the definition of Trainwreck.

They want to give this gritty realistic side and then they pull stupid childish sentai parody. The end result is just a trainwreck, with a confused narrative.

They could have made a smoother transition, but this is just crappy writing.
If the series had maintain its slice of life tone with dark narrative twist it would have been Great, but this is just awful.
Dec 12, 2013 1:51 PM
Oct 2010
I think they are doing the best they can since that twist. I still don't know how I feel about it, but I am entertained.
Dec 12, 2013 2:01 PM
Sep 2013
When the gorilla with the guillotine in his chest first appeared I can't be the only one who was like WTF after the show being 'normal' beforehand, but as the episodes have gone on I find myself enjoying the shift, this episode was pretty entertaining. Interesting to find out where they take the show from here on anyway.
Dec 12, 2013 2:04 PM

Dec 2009
I got no words.

That ED, though... was it supposed to be emotional? I kinda... thought it was more funny.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 12, 2013 2:06 PM

Sep 2012
I don't understand. What is this show trying to be? Where is everything coming from? Why does it shift from serious to parody to serious and gory? Why does it go from realistic to supernatural? Why is the villain's plan so ridiculous? Why does it try developing serious themes after going full retard? Just WHY?
I repeat: this is either an anime gone horribly wrong, or complete genius. The former seems more likely at this point.
Dec 12, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
This show is really a mess. I agree that it is in some form enteraining, but I am constantly irritated by the broken narrative. I alway have to think what this show could've been and what it is.

This show have to decide what kind of universe its set in. This mix of dark and gritty real stuff and the whacky sciene just won't work.
Dec 12, 2013 2:21 PM
Jul 2012
So I guess they weren't kidding when they said the final showdown was coming. I think the reveal of King Torture was a little bit disappointing since I don't think he was introduced in the past so it was difficult to develop some kind of emotional connection to his character. Instead, he was just some guy who had a similar childhood to Masayoshi but took the other path.
Either way, I was still entertained from the episode, it looks like King Torture really got to Mari. It's only half way into the season and he's revealed the identity of Samurai Flamenco to the world so I wonder how they'll play out this second half now.
My anime blog
Ganebare Anime
Dec 12, 2013 2:32 PM
Oct 2011
ColdXClue said:
Am I the only one who noticed how Flamenco Sapphires finger that King Tortue pinched with pliers until it bleed is magically undamaged in the next shot after he frees her and shes holding Maya.
Don't think about it too much, the animation is pretty inconsistent.

Also, maybe after this episode, Mari can stop being an annoying piece of shit. Not even sure how anyone could consider the show realistic with how awful her character has been.
Dec 12, 2013 2:35 PM

Oct 2012
Finally! It's over! (And with it I hope they will clear the mess next time - though I really don't know how they want to do it).

Almost everything in this episode was cliche and over the top, I literally laughed at most heroic scenes in this episode as (I hope) this was all intentional (otherwise it would be sooo bad I couldn't explain it). Heroic speech with countdown nearing its end in the backround! Supervillain ressurection after final hit. And funny NouKome reference ("Erabe..."')

I just wonder - those titles in the end - this should be end of the movie they shooted, right?

Whole this thing of past few episodes felt like really bad and low budget hero movie.
Dec 12, 2013 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
Mich666 said:
And funny NouKome reference ("Erabe..."')
Its not a reference. "Erabe" just means "choose".
Dec 12, 2013 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
Frontalbrise said:
Mich666 said:

I know, but it was "the way" he said it.. if you are watching NouKome you should find the similiarities at least.

Anyway, now they tell us that everything up to thing point was just a movie and that new characters that will be introduced are the actors of it. http://www.samumenco.com/character/
Well, at this point I wouldn't be surprised by anything.
Dec 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
Mich666 said:
Frontalbrise said:
Mich666 said:

I know, but it was "the way" he said it.. if you are watching NouKome you should find the similiarities at least.
Nah, its just the same way. Like a cop in a US-movie saying "Freeze!".
Dec 12, 2013 3:01 PM

Mar 2008
LOL, I've been completely trolled by the director.
Dec 12, 2013 3:13 PM

Jun 2011
So... King Torture cut off his arm with a saw... only to replace it with a saw...
Dec 12, 2013 3:20 PM

Jun 2012
I'm glad to say that I'm really starting to enjoy this series now. The fight scene wasn't particularly impressive, but I like where this show is going. Not sure what's going to happen after this episode, but I expect good things from the future of this anime. At this point, I think people should just take this anime as it is. From what I gather, this isn't supposed to be a "realistic" anime (obviously)... it's seriously just a Super Sentai, except with a much grittier tone.

Edit: Did anyone else notice how similar King Torture's pictures as a child were to Akira Konno? I mean even the glasses were the same. I didn't even believe until that shot that it could really be him... but now I'm really curious about that. There's no way they simply look similar... and the way King Torture talked this episode felt much like how I'd imagine Akira's point of view.

SamuraiHigashi said:
All I know is Manager-sans gonna be maaaaaaad.
Hoho, I hadn't even thought about that but yeah she will be.

ColdXClue said:
No it's not. Just went back and you can see her clutching her hand and the finger is bloody after he cuts the ropes. After that it doesn't show you her hand. If you mean because she didn't act that hurt, those kinds of things only really hurt when it happens / if it has any kind of pressure applied to it... I should know I've had my finger my cut off 1.5 times (had them crushed plenty of times).

Intereo said:
So... King Torture cut off his arm with a saw... only to replace it with a saw...
Lol, yeah I actually found it funny when he just calmly did that and continued talking, then when Samumenco cut it off again he goes "AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!". I guess he did it because he had the technology to repair it easy.
HalibelTheEspadaDec 12, 2013 3:25 PM
Dec 12, 2013 3:46 PM

Dec 2012
Well, Mari is so conveniently out of character and seems like out of the way of Samumenco! ... The chick was hilarious, actually got more balls than the main hero! ...

I certainly headdesked myself to blood with the Torturemin Cells, the GKT (Giant King Torture), and the Rocket torture! :D I hope they trademark the torturemin cells - would be the greatest painkillers ever existed! And GKT was cute, dammnit! Looked as treathening as an early spring kid's snot!

Anyway, the story isn't over. Megane no manager took off to somewhere, "stone power" next, ah and a pic from King Torture's boudoir - http://imgur.com/lmzpgqH.
Dec 12, 2013 3:52 PM

Mar 2013
At this point all I can wonder is whether or not today's episode of Valvrave will be more ridiculous and over the top.
Dec 12, 2013 3:53 PM

May 2010
I was disappointed in this episode.

But I'm starting to think that's how they wanted me to feel.

Mind=blown.
Dec 12, 2013 4:02 PM

Feb 2012
Oh nooooo King TOCHAAAAAAAAAAA.

Flamenco revealed his identity at the end, nothing will be the same anymore, show it too good, I don't really rate shows until they end, but looks like I'll have to hit 10/10 on this one already, and we're only on ep 10, I'm enjoying it too much.
Dec 12, 2013 4:04 PM

Nov 2012
I found this episode to be really enjoyable. The King Torture arc should've taken this more serious approach from the start instead of treating all his minions like complete jokes and I might've been okay with them taking the whole fantasy twist in the first place. Mari definitely got what she deserved, maybe now she'll learn to appreciate her friends more. I wonder who saved the scientist, from the looks of it, it was Red Axe. If it was then finally this guy did something. Hazama pretty much pulled a Tony Stark, so I'm interested to see where the story will go from here. Goto was the best this episode and it was hilarious when he took a few shots at the rocket. Definitely a great episode that has me looking forward to SF each week again plus next week I think we might finally get to see Goto's girlfriend!
Dec 12, 2013 4:22 PM

Sep 2011
Holy shit. This episode could have honestly been the finale and I would have been okay with that.

I can't help but think that King Torture was actually kind of a cool guy. The way he let Moe go because of her conviction and honesty? What a fucking bro. I never liked Mari to begin with so I'm glad he knocked her ego down a notch.
Dec 12, 2013 4:38 PM

Jun 2012
Snax-chan said:
Satire said:
Holy shit. This episode could have honestly been the finale and I would have been okay with that.

I can't help but think that King Torture was actually kind of a cool guy. The way he let Moe go because of her conviction and honesty? What a fucking bro. I never liked Mari to begin with so I'm glad he knocked her ego down a notch.
I agree with you completely!
Me too. Though I have to say, I'm really curious if he was "evil" in the end, or if was all to entertain and give Samumenco a rival. I mean yes torture is cruel, but he didn't actually kill anyone. His morals seemed intact and he let both Akira and Moe go, and didn't even kill Mari. I guess from some one perspective that could be seen as evil, but it really does feel like he was trying to just fill a role here. I have a feeling this was more than it seemed anyway.

I actually did like Mari... and I hope she develops stronger as a person, and that she doesn't give up on being a hero. I was kinda bothered when she got up on stage like that, partially for identity's sake, but then Masayoshi did it and I was like "Well, fuck... alrighty then."
Dec 12, 2013 4:47 PM

Mar 2008
So the episode had some pretty tense moments and that was good.

It seems they're trying to go in the direction where heroes do exist, but there are more real consequences to what happens around them. Not bad, but it still lacks something.

Let's hope they're heading to a really good plot towards the end. Can't even imagine what they're trying to do right now.
Dec 12, 2013 4:48 PM

Sep 2011
HalibelTheEspada said:
]Me too. Though I have to say, I'm really curious if he was "evil" in the end, or if was all to entertain and give Samumenco a rival. I mean yes torture is cruel, but he didn't actually kill anyone. His morals seemed intact and he let both Akira and Moe go, and didn't even kill Mari. I guess from some one perspective that could be seen as evil, but it really does feel like he was trying to just fill a role here. I have a feeling this was more than it seemed anyway.

I actually did like Mari... and I hope she develops stronger as a person, and that she doesn't give up on being a hero. I was kinda bothered when she got up on stage like that, partially for identity's sake, but then Masayoshi did it and I was like "Well, fuck... alrighty then."

I think he was evil since he did try to kill tons of people with that rocket/missile. The origins of why he becomes evil is a different story. I hope they elaborate on this. I thought he was just assuming the role of evil at first given that Samurai Flamenco took the role of the super hero and every hero needs a villain. This was shown to not be the case since he said he had already set all his plans in motion even before Flamenco even started his super hero gig.

I never liked Mari. There's nothing to like about her character... She's spoiled, selfish, inconsiderate, rude, and has a huge ego. I was happy that she got on stage like that because it symbolizes that she's accepted her pride got too big for her. She realizes what a bitch she is, essentially, after King Torture points out that she wanted Moe to sacrifice herself instead of her.

It was pretty obvious that Masayoshi was going to reveal his identity. Look at his fucking helmet. That shit got wrecked as fuck. His 'mask' was pretty much covering one eye. There's no way that people wouldn't have drawn that connection. My question is why the fuck all those useless plebs are just standing around waiting outside King Torture's base? Why be a bunch of useless sacks of shit when a fucking rocket is about to blow up your city??????????.

All in all, Samurai Flamenco has been highly entertaining. I enjoy this show every week.
Dec 12, 2013 5:17 PM

Jul 2008
camusnotdead said:
This may be the definition of Trainwreck.

They want to give this gritty realistic side and then they pull stupid childish sentai parody. The end result is just a trainwreck, with a confused narrative.

They could have made a smoother transition, but this is just crappy writing.

It was pretty clear that they didn't want a smooth transition in the first place, neither is this a definition of a trainwreck or a confused narrative: everything went as the creators expected.
Did it piss off some viewers? Definitely. Do they care? Those who would care would not make a noitaminA show.

And you can bet that even bigger "WTF is this SHIIIIT!!??" twists are coming soon ;P
Dec 12, 2013 5:20 PM

Sep 2011
I would have enjoyed the show a lot more if it had kept up the same type of progress according to how it was initially; kind of like a softcore Kick ass. I think the series would have been easily a 8 or 9 from me if they had kept that going. It's still entertaining now and I think the whole King Torture thing was actually pretty funny. It's definitely not as good as it could have been though.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.