3It was OK
1.5%
2Disliked it
0.4%
1Hated it
0.9%
Average 4.9
543 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 13, 2018 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apologizing is important but also understanding the idea of bullying is also important. I really like the reinforcement behind the social commentary this episode.

I also got a feel of realism from the school life storytelling. Hina's sensei is such an awesome dude imo. A nice balance of light and melancholic mood this episode. I love the way they focused on Hina and Rei's relationship from these episodes, including this one.

Just beautiful.

Stark700Jan 13, 2018 10:03 AM
Jan 13, 2018 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
lol dead thread today Franxx took all the hype
Jan 13, 2018 10:51 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again, this show knows how to completely devastate me emotionally. XD

"Saying that, she innocently opened her mouth wide. When I saw the sunlight on her teeth and tongue. For some reason various feelings welled up inside me. I had a tightening sensation in my chest and felt like I was going to cry"
Rei basically described me during the this episode. Except that I did cry XD

The new teacher was a total boss and I'm glad he dealt with the situation really well. I like how he was trying to teach the other girl empathy and make her realize what she was doing. That being said, the other girl has a pretty bleak outlook on life.

Hina reading Chiho's letter and how she was doing a lot better now was really heartwarming and very emotional.
Seeing Hina have fun with her classmates again made me really happy.

I like how she refuted Rei's claim that he wasn't able to do anything by telling him that he had already done so much for her. :)

I guess this is the conclusion of the bullying arc? It ended on a really high note and I really appreciate how the series brought out the issue of bullying and dealing with it.
Hina deserves the utmost praise for enduring through the whole thing and never giving in. Rei describes her really well
'The Small heroine who never gave in, no matter how much she cried or suffered'
Jan 13, 2018 10:54 AM
Sep 2015
"descriptive anime" is what I use to describe anime where every character's thought speak out clearly to the audience and in a beautiful poetry way.
Jan 13, 2018 10:57 AM

Jun 2015
Very good episode. This ends the bullying arc. Mr. Kokuku continues to be an awesome teacher and Takagi continues to be an uptight little brat. Her apology was definitely not genuine. The letter from Chiho was very nice. I'm glad she's doing okay. Happy tears were shed. It's awesome to see Hina getting along with the other girls. They were too scared to say anything. Those cookies look good. Kiriyama falling asleep on the doorstep was amusing.
Jan 13, 2018 11:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This broke me again.

Chiho's letter to Hina got me so fucked up.

It took one good teacher who has determination and great judgement to solve this issue. Even though the bully isn't even sincerely sorry, she cannot do this again. That serves her right, i hated her through all of this conversation. May it be bad parenting or just her being a bad kid.

Rei (and Hina's family) just being there for Hina was enough for her to keep her somewhat sane and be happy during these times. I'm glad she told him that he was being great.

This series just keeps one upping itself, it's beyond my understanding by now.
Jan 13, 2018 11:29 AM

Jul 2017
Another fucking great ep. Hinata was so strong throughout all of this and seeing her smile so sweetly at the end brought me to tears. Ahh, this whole arc was great everything about this was amazing.
Jan 13, 2018 12:47 PM

Nov 2007
Hinata really is the Sun.

I am beginning to think this could well be SHAFT's greatest anime ever. I feel terrible when I questioned SHAFT's ability to capture the source material. They are actually enriching it more with the way the have adapted it so far!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 13, 2018 12:49 PM

Apr 2016
I was like

When Hina was reading that letter from Chiho.

moodie said:

More like the streaming sites (the illegal ones) forgot what day it is.

Jan 13, 2018 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Thank god the bullying is over. The Head teacher was amazing with how he dealt with the whole situation.

Nice to see that Chihiro is doing great & that Hina will be able to see her.

Rei you did plenty for Hina.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 13, 2018 1:19 PM

Jul 2013
Holy shit! The endcard of this episode has been made by Akio Watanabe himself.

After Vofan and Hajime Ueda, he was the artist I was looking forward the most to make an endcard for the series. I can die happy now.

The episode was simply beautiful. So glad Hina managed to solve the bullying problem, she was radiant at the end.
The letter of Chiho-chan managed to make some tears escape from my eyes. I'm happy she has found a happier life after all the Hell she suffered.

Was a good conclusion for the arc.
Jan 13, 2018 2:01 PM
Dec 2016
Guys where did you watch this?
Jan 13, 2018 2:28 PM
Jan 2018
Uhm I'am a little bit confused.. it seems as if you guys are talking about episode 12 and not 13. Episode 13 hasn't been uploaded online yet. Can someone explain to me why episode 13 has not been uploaded yet? It seems as the weeks pass by the upload of the episodes online gets slower and slower... >.<
Jan 13, 2018 2:33 PM

May 2009
Autumnleaves1995 said:
Uhm I'am a little bit confused.. it seems as if you guys are talking about episode 12 and not 13. Episode 13 hasn't been uploaded online yet. Can someone explain to me why episode 13 has not been uploaded yet? It seems as the weeks pass by the upload of the episodes online gets slower and slower... >.<

as far as i know episode 13 is out
Jan 13, 2018 2:40 PM
Jan 2018
protoplasm said:
Autumnleaves1995 said:

as far as i know episode 13 is out

On which platform though?
Jan 13, 2018 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
Seems letters are super effective against me, I cried like I never cried whatching one anime before when Hina was reading that letter from Chiho.

I have no words to describe this anime anymore, it's a true masterpiece, I'm grateful for be watching this.
Jan 13, 2018 4:19 PM

Mar 2008
Kokuku-Sensei is awesome. There needs to be more teachers like him. The letter from Chiho to Hina had me in tears. I also loved when Hina told Rei he did a lot for her.
Jan 13, 2018 4:41 PM

Oct 2012
Aah, man... this was one very special episode, probably the best one so far... can I give it 11/10 pretty please?

But really, Shaft has surpassed themselves again (is that even possible?). To deliever such emotional episode yet one that was very natural and not forced in any way, it's like a small miracle. First they managed to fit in very touching epilogue for Chiho and then they did that great scene of holding hands with Kei and Hina - it was really staple of slice-of-life in its truest form.

Not to mention the dialogue teacher had with Takagi - you can't really explain the thing to someone with wholy different worldview, right? Blame her parents maybe but she really didn't even understand she did anything wrong.

But I'm glad it's over. The scene where Hina went doing cookies with her classmates was really sweet. It's good she don't have to be grumpy for the rest of her time in the middle-school, it's good she can have some fun now. I still don't think they would be able to talk with Takagi but at least they won't be making trouble anymore. Kudos to teacher I guess, judging by how things are in Japan, he certainly is great exception in the system.
Jan 13, 2018 4:41 PM

Apr 2016
so great to see Hina happy again. I love that Rei finally realizes he has done so much more for Hina than he relaized.
Jan 13, 2018 5:21 PM

Apr 2014
Mich666 said:
Aah, man... this was one very special episode, probably the best one so far... can I give it 11/10 pretty please?

But really, Shaft has surpassed themselves again (is that even possible?). To deliever such emotional episode yet one that was very natural and not forced in any way, it's like a small miracle. First they managed to fit in very touching epilogue for Chiho and then they did that great scene of holding hands with Kei and Hina - it was really staple of slice-of-life in its truest form.

Not to mention the dialogue teacher had with Takagi - you can't really explain the thing to someone with wholy different worldview, right? Blame her parents maybe but she really didn't even understand she did anything wrong.

But I'm glad it's over. The scene where Hina went doing cookies with her classmates was really sweet. It's good she don't have to be grumpy for the rest of her time in the middle-school, it's good she can have some fun now. I still don't think they would be able to talk with Takagi but at least they won't be making trouble anymore. Kudos to teacher I guess, judging by how things are in Japan, he certainly is great exception in the system.
wow i am actually surprised to see this i thought this was the weakest episode we had after the visual onslaught of the last 12 episodes.

im not judging u but it seems like we have different takes from this anime
Jan 13, 2018 6:01 PM

Feb 2016
This episode was so satisfying! Especially after everything that has happened.

Everyone is glowing :D
Jan 13, 2018 6:02 PM
Jan 2017
AnimeJunky said:
Kokuku-Sensei

His name kokubu-sensei
eikan0728Jan 14, 2018 3:03 PM
Jan 13, 2018 6:03 PM

Sep 2011
That last scene melted my heart, this was such an outstanding arc from beginning to end, i just hope the following stories will have highs as good as this did.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 13, 2018 6:04 PM

May 2017
Probably my favorite arc of the series. Hopefully, we get to see more of Kokubo-sensei in later arcs.
Jan 13, 2018 6:08 PM

Oct 2012
moodie said:
Mich666 said:

wow i am actually surprised to see this i thought this was the weakest episode we had after the visual onslaught of the last 12 episodes.

im not judging u but it seems like we have different takes from this anime

It's all about your expectations and things you can relate to I guess. I lean more towards the slice-of-life genre in this show and I tend to notice and appreciate all those little details that shows life as it is. And Shaft's main strength is that even with minimalistic animation they can build pretty strong emotional experiences with clever use of cuts, angles, dialogues and music.

The last ep (or was it?) was probably visually more stunning with its unique game of light and shadow - I can agree on that (and I liked it too) - but this one was even better in giving us heartwarming closure with sense of hope and promise of better days, at least for a while. In a way, it managed to do several things at once yet didn't try to push it to your face and I can appreciate that they let you to interpret it. But mostly it felt real, true to life in its purest and also bittersweet form, developing the characters further, showing that one can overcome any problem in time. Fleeting yet very real happiness, a new dawn for both of them if you will. And to see someone shining is one of japanese way of saying 'to fall in love'. It's only fitting that Kiriyama's having those thoughts now - another way of suble storytelling Shaft is so good at.

As I'm saying, the episode was good on so many levels and seeing the ratings up there I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thought the same while watching it. Yet I also understand that some people tend to analyze things more, some give in more to their feelings, some can appreciate the craftsmanship or direction and so on... it really depends on your personal preferences that governs what you enjoy and how you percieve things - and this is even more true with this anime because it tries to reflect many aspects of ordinary life.
Jan 13, 2018 7:15 PM

Dec 2015
Ouch bite me more Hina XD
Finally the bullying end , nice to see Hina happy and get along again with her friend, Great letters from chiho as well. But oh my Kiriyama , you should make some tea for Hina while sleeping so you could get close . Lol shimada why you plant those fruits if you cant eat i
ExeternaJan 13, 2018 10:10 PM
Jan 13, 2018 7:56 PM

Nov 2011
So beautiful, so heartwarming
Hina chan deserves all the happiness, Rei too, how can he say he hasn't done anything.
Baby, daijobanai...
Jan 13, 2018 8:14 PM

Nov 2016
It's finally over..yes it is and I'm glad that Hina can be happy again, without having to worry about a thing in the world.

The message and the portrayal of Hinas character, this arc was world class from start to finish.God knows how many tears I shed.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 13, 2018 8:54 PM

Mar 2016
Loved this episode. The first time, I thought that an episode ended too early. I loved how they didn't try to round out everything and give it a happily ever after. It makes it more closely resembling real life situations.
It was so cute when Hina chan bit Kiriyama's fingers. They are such a cute cp in this arc.
The teacher is awesome and very straightforward. I liked how he said...if only educating was so easy...the 'raise' part threw me off of thinking he was a god-like teacher but like I said, the whole arc can be very easily assimilated into a real life situation which makes this arc even more so the best so far.
Jan 13, 2018 9:00 PM

Sep 2013
Extremely powerful episode that delves deeper into the mind of the bully and the follow up on what should happen. I'm glad this series took a route where they explore everything in the aftermath. Why did she bully? Well, we found out the type of person she is. Why did no one say anything? We discovered that too. What became of the group who bullied Hina and Chiho? Some of them ended up finding the error of their ways and only went along because they were also afraid to be a target. On Hina's side, she contemplated on whether or not if she should forgive them or not.

The cherry on top of all the actions was seeing how Chiho is recovering from all that emotional trauma and stress. That was a very powerful moment that displayed perfectly on how bullying affects others. I thought this arc was fantastic in showing how some people would react to this. Chiho was one who couldn't handle it, Hina being the defiant heroine and the class being the sheep who feared the big bad wolf. It also showed how Hina's family reacted to this and Rei as well. So bullying can really affect so many people without you knowing. I mean, if you ever bullied someone, did you ever think your target's family and friends will be affected by it? I didn't think it would so this opened my eyes to the fact that if I'm bullying someone, the range of my actions can affect so many people indirectly. I thought this whole bully arc hit every single point in and delivered touching and powerful content.

Anyways, I am so god damn happy that Hina is glowing once again. I teared up a little seeing her not only gaining friends but returning to her old self. Her smile felt so genuine and the environment was brighter than usual so I thought that was done exceptionally well. Man, 6/5 for this episode. That was so satisfying.

Jan 13, 2018 9:21 PM
Jan 2017
bullying episode
Character model is Chika Umino's niece.
She helped a friend of the bullying victim
eikan0728Jan 13, 2018 9:30 PM
Jan 13, 2018 9:31 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
moodie said:

Even though Franxx was really good, I totally forgot about it as soon as this episode came in.

It might just not be the Shaft's greatest work but also the greatest anime of all time.
10/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 13, 2018 10:22 PM

Jul 2009
Head sensei continues to be my favourite character ever...wait maybe behind Hina since she actually went through the bullying. But omg when that brat of a child was explaining how society has her not caring I was nodding at it was true but then...WHAT THE FAWK DOES THAT TO DO WITH CHIHO AND HINA? That terrorist little monster.

She has no idea how much pain she caused does she? WHAT IS HER PUNISHMENT DAMNIT. I WANT HER TO REPENT.

Also what exactly is the age gap between Hina and Kiriyama? I wanna ship them. Be adults already.
Jan 13, 2018 10:46 PM
Aug 2016
this anime is addicting as hell, can't wait for the next episode, although after watching the preview, I can pretty much foresee the big event that this show is heading to (somebody already spoiled it for me but..whatever, I'm still excited)

shanimebib said:
Hinata really is the Sun.

I am beginning to think this could well be SHAFT's greatest anime ever. I feel terrible when I questioned SHAFT's ability to capture the source material. They are actually enriching it more with the way the have adapted it so far!
while I wasn't reeally fond of their style because it make complicated shit like Monogatari even more complicated, this anime has changed my mind about them, their style works better with simple stories like this one cuz it makes it 10 times more interesting than it was (I've read some chapters of the manga and couldn't continue reading because of the massive walls of text it contains)
Jan 13, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2014
This new teacher is such a great upgrade from the last teacher. I like how he actually took measures to hold the bullies accountable for their actions so the classroom environment could finally become less toxic. It was nice to see him also try to understand that little bitch Takagi and her state of mind to see why she behaves this way. All that did, however, was make me hate her more, and her apology was clearly half-assed and insincere.

I'm happy to see Chiho is doing much better now after all that she went through, and Hina finally seems to be back to her normal self. She's been through a lot, so I'm happy that she managed to get through it. Of course, Rei also played a major role in helping her overcome this.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 13, 2018 11:31 PM

May 2009
*chomp* *chomp* baka~!
Jan 14, 2018 12:54 AM

Sep 2017
Where did my 20 minutes go?

Jan 14, 2018 3:12 AM

Sep 2017
If you look up wholesome in the dictionary this show should be one of the definitions holy shit. Another fantastic episode.
Jan 14, 2018 4:16 AM

Nov 2016
I cried so many times while watching this episode xD

Even though he got the bullies to behave, the teacher is nit stasfied and wants to change their set of mind. Very admirable of him.
Jan 14, 2018 4:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great episode and good closure to the bullying arc. The sensei handled it with firmness and intelligence.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 14, 2018 5:10 AM

Jul 2014
Another great episode, and some excellent closure to the bullying arc, even if Takagi clearly didn't feel even the vaguest notion of guilt for her actions. At least the others did show some sincerity, which certainly makes the teacher's life slightly easier. It was also a cute interaction between Rei and Hina at the end, even if Rei vastly underestimated his contribution in helping Hina (not as though that's surprising considering the person he is and the issues he still has).
Jan 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Aug 2013
finally bullying arc ends... that thing about "teach" and "raise" kinda got me. I used to hear that all the time when I'm in junior high and highschool but I always thought about it being a pretty words, but when I see it in this arc I feel kinda bad for thinking like that back then, lol.

will we be seeing more Shogi now, or the bullying arc really will be over here? since I still havent see any real conclusion for the main bullying girl. I personally hope they wouldn't prolonged this more than necessary... I'm eager to see Kiriyama vs that white haired guy already xD
Jan 14, 2018 10:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Akari really has nothing she should be sorry about. So Megumi has grown disillusioned with life then. Its nice to see that Hinata and Akari seem to better after that ordeal. It's good that the school got serious about dealing with the bullying within the class. After such an experience i can see why Hina doesn't want to forgive them. Its nice to hear Chiho is doing so well in both education and with her family. The three step method sure was effective. The sun must have been that relaxing for Rei to fall asleep as well. Its nice that after the darkness that Hina and her classmates are able to have fun together. Though Rei didn't help Hina resolve her crisis directly he did listen to her express her worries though not to mention to go find her in Kyoto as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2018 11:27 AM

Feb 2013
This show is on a whole new level rn. Glorious.
Jan 14, 2018 12:06 PM
Nov 2016
When I read this arc in the manga, it left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I felt a lot like Hina felt in the middle of this episode, "It's over but it's not." Even after the arc fully ended with Chiho's letter and Rei's unneeded apology, I found myself continuously hating on that damn bully and her mom. I wonder if it's just my pettiness.....
Jan 14, 2018 12:11 PM

May 2015
As always very good episode.

Teacher is saving whole class.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 14, 2018 12:35 PM

Oct 2013
The Chiho letter scene was great. Is anyone else hoping we'll see when Hina visits Chiho? This show has some of the most realistic bullying. Takagi hasn't instantly changed her ways like some lame After School Special episode. The other girls in the class have pretty much owned up to being afraid. Their contrition scene was very believable and Hina's relief to have friends again was convincing.
Jan 14, 2018 1:57 PM

Feb 2014
This has to be one of the very best arcs I've seen in any anime show. From the acting, soundtrack, realistic portrayal of the characters and a fully satisfying conclusion, I'll fondly remember this arc for a very long time. =')

Mr Kokuku continues to be an excellent teacher as he interrogated Megumi over her actions. Her reflection of life itself sounds so bleak and miserable and it shows us as to just how unaware she is of her actions that affected Chihio and Hina. Not only that, but she also lacks the remorse for her actions too. For now, her apology is VERY hollow and it's really good to see Mr Kokuku battling onwards, trying to find a way to get some common sense into Megumi's head. I really admire his dedication. =)

Chiho's letter to Hina left choking up a lot of tears. From arriving at the specialist centre for the first time, herself and her parents all looking disheartened after what Chiho went through at school, her path towards recovery was long, but as shown, it has become very successful. Just seeing Chiho getting along with the animals, communicating with the teachers and other adults at the centre, it made me smile as to how well she was recovering. She wants to meet up with Hina during the summer holidays as well, which make Hina, and myself, shed tears down our cheeks. T_T

Rei was definitely hard on himself when he said that he didn't to anything to help, but Hina was there to snap him back to his senses. He did a lot to help Hina during her darkest moments during the whole arc and being there for her helped her resolve and she was determined to succeed, to which she did. Her smile at the end was simply precious. =3

It'll be very difficult to even match this arc, but either way, I'm still hyped about the upcoming Rei Vs Souya Shogi match, so I do hope is happens soon! =D
Jan 14, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2011
The bully girl probably had a dysfunctional upbringing/her mom is super cynical and raised her to think like that but also having zero empathy/compassion and blaming your own wrongdoings on society instead of taking responsibility for them is a sign of being a sociopath.

Not sure if we'll ever revisit Takagi again but it interestingly brings up the question of whether people like this are even redeemable/able to be re-educated, even as children.
Jan 14, 2018 6:13 PM

Jan 2014
This arc was good. I applaud the new teacher. He dealt with that very well. I never would have thought of taking the bullies right out of the class and having the class speak as a whole rather than individually. Very smart. But most importantly, I applaud Hina. For a 13 year old, she's surprisingly strong.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

85 by Randomega »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

126 by Randomega »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

250 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

230 by Randomega »»
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

106 by Randomega »»
Yesterday, 8:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.