Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Aug 25, 2014 5:05 AM

Apr 2008
I feel like they made this double length because no one would watch a show that has absolutely nothing going on in every episode. Hour long episodes let them at least change scenes.
Sep 6, 2014 12:13 PM

Jan 2014
BitchMaster said:
Sux....Is this a joke? Before watching it, I told myself that I shouldn't judge an anime by how it looks since there're a buncha masterpieces who are ugly as f**k based on my standard(s) so I hoped this one will be one of those masterpieces and boy, I was totally wrong....

Another shitty anime with calling-name(s)-of-attack-moves-considered-as-AKSHUN, just like that shitty Basara animated or FAIL-y Tail or Needless.... Guess it's gonna be a while before I can see some real action shows like Kurozuka or Ga-Rei Zero again.... And 30 min(s) of talking, very nice~.... Guess the only thing I was right about is the brotagonist who is not like a useless blob in the background like most anime MC(s) nowadays and some nice music but FUUUUUUU-, if I want music, I can waste my time on japanese MTV instead of watching this crap!!!
you are the embodiment of pre-judgement,you understood that much with just 1 episode,gj for you lol
Oct 5, 2014 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
The dialogue will definitely take some getting used to since there's so much of it, but I liked it overall. It was both witty and humorous, particularly the bits that leaned on the fourth wall. Shichika's combat style seems rather straightforward as well. I liked the details they incorporated into the fight, such as Shichika's momentary surprise when he "caught" the sword- it was clear he tried to break it before he admitted it.

The characters are interesting enough. There's plenty of room to expand on them.

Even the brief fanservice didn't seem out of place. That's a first for me.

Overall, this exceeded my expectations for the first episode. The episode length itself is a nice plus too; I'm glad to be watching this after its completion, though. Waiting a month between episodes wouldn't be fun. xD
Oct 18, 2014 12:26 AM

Sep 2014
This show is extremely dialogue heavy.
Nov 15, 2014 10:42 AM
Jun 2013
This anime has a very unique look. I don't really like how the eyes are drawn but I'm trying to overlook it and just enjoy everything else. This was definitely a slow episode, but a lot of information was given so it's not that big of a deal. I'm not sure how I feel about 50min per episode. I definitely did feel tired at the end because, again, the dialogue, but I'm hoping they fill up the time with more than just background information in the next episode. It looks like things will be moving a bit more now that they're off the island on the same page.
Nov 22, 2014 9:42 PM

Jul 2012
Lots of talking and abstractness, but I'm liking it so far. Sold.

I like the MC. He's like Goku (Dragon Ball series) - really oblivious but strong.
Dec 8, 2014 11:33 AM

Feb 2014
That was a lot of talking, I really got bored by the end. Not a fan of the characters or the animation either. I will try another episode because this has a high score but i really disliked the first episode
Dec 13, 2014 6:52 AM

Aug 2013
I really love the way they tell the story..
As for the dialogs, they are fine by me.. I enjoy them very much.
The animation is smooth and art is unique.. don't see something like this everyday.
I just hope their relationship will bare fruit and not just for humor purposes. :b
Jan 1, 2015 3:22 PM

Jun 2014
"words: the animation" Indeed. holy shit that was a lot of talking. Wasn't bad at all though. I really like the characters. Even the Ninja was cool!
Looking forward to seeing this through.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 7, 2015 9:52 PM

Apr 2014
That was good, I just hope all the eps aren't that long though..
---------My Profile------------
Jan 21, 2015 4:49 AM

Sep 2014
After living with his sister his whole life, he is leaving her on the island alone? She's a very independent girl but I feel kind of sad for her, she'll still be lonely! Maybe she'll join them at some point in the future.

It was an enjoyable first episode.
Mirai, zura~!
Mar 31, 2015 11:37 AM
Apr 2010
Not sure for you, i liked first episode, but i really hate too much talking, it tires you and it's boring.
Apr 1, 2015 4:10 AM

Oct 2013
I didn't expect anything less.
Apr 28, 2015 5:46 PM

Jan 2013
I'm liking this series so far, very refreshing. Lots of dialogue but I'm a fan of the Monogatari Series which has a comparable amount of dialogue.
Jun 3, 2015 5:40 PM

Dec 2013
Didn't expect this first episode to be so long. Anyway very good beginning. The entire "fallen for you" really surprised me lol

Seems like this is going to be a very episodic series which I'm pretty ok with.
Jun 4, 2015 3:38 AM

Jan 2013
... Just wow.
This anime has already got me hooked!
Love the clumsiness of Togame and the chemistry they both have :)

This could very well become one of my new favourite anime.

Solid 10/10 start.
PrOxAntoJun 4, 2015 4:42 AM
Jun 7, 2015 5:24 PM

Sep 2014
wow, a lot of dialogue for sure, and I have a feeling I'm going to miss a lot of it. I wasn't to say hooked through out the 4/5ths of the show, but the last couple of minutes sealed the deal. :)
Jun 17, 2015 6:48 AM

Apr 2015
I liked the animation and story style, expect a lot of this anime.
Jul 20, 2015 11:25 AM
Dec 2014
So far so good. I actually smiled a few times: always a good sign.

Good thing I can read well by the way! It really is dialogue heavy, not Legend of galactic heroes tier but certainly more than my previous show- Last exile.
Aug 3, 2015 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
Not bad, not bad, but 1 hour for chapter is a lot :/
Sep 7, 2015 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
Finally decided to watch this anime, and I love this
I like how the MC is laid back lol
50 min per episode? So it's like watching two episodes at once
Bruh check out my soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/wal-skynner

" Becoming an adult means hating milk chocolate and loving brocolis. "

~ Wal Skynner
Oct 29, 2015 4:14 PM

Feb 2013
I personally didn't mind all the talking, I found it to be pretty interesting honestly. That being said, I do hope it starts to pick up a bit in the next episode.
Nov 30, 2015 7:24 PM

Feb 2010
Holy dialogue lol

Dec 1, 2015 11:59 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
That villiain had a super annoying voice.
Dec 4, 2015 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT LIKED THIS EPISODE?

Shape430 said:
I personally didn't mind all the talking, I found it to be pretty interesting honestly. That being said, I do hope it starts to pick up a bit in the next episode.

ikr, if you're actually interested in what they're saying the dialogue goes by like nothing.
Dec 13, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2014
I'm impressed.

This is only the first episode, and yet, I'm enjoying this a whole lot better than The Other Show. I'm actually finding the dialogue in this one interesting.

So yeah, this is really good so far.

5/5
Dec 20, 2015 7:09 AM
Mar 2014
So this is probably going to be 1 sword per episode, so i guess the pace will be slow.

I liked this episode tho, i just hope that not every episode has this much talking.
Jan 27, 2016 3:04 AM

Jan 2010

So begins a story of 12 long months in the month of January. You can really feel Nisio Isin here, as the episode's wordplay was really prominent. Though, I'd be lying if I didn't say it felt hefty at certain moments. There was a LOT of exposition here, mostly to showcase the characters' personalities, the show's dynamic banter, and to give as much information on the plot and setting in one go. Can't say if it was effective or not yet, as it's just the first episode. I've definitely heard enough good things about Katanagatari to get me to stick around until the end, but with just this much, there's not much yet to really get hyped about. The 8th of February is gonna feel like a long wait.

Oh, and yeah, the art style is ridiculously eye catching. Never seen anything like this before.
Feb 15, 2016 4:13 PM

Mar 2015
I've seen a bit of Bakemonogatari and was delighted with the unique style, both visual and in storytelling.
I kinda knew what to expect for this first ep since I've read reviews but I enjoyed it a lot. I'd rather have long ass dialogues than rushed and incoherent shit.
Also, great, unique character designs !
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Mar 11, 2016 10:11 AM

Jul 2015
Awesome first episode, the comedy had me every time, the long ass dialogue where good, the short fight was nice and hype me to see more, the weird art style was interesting too, just the ninja guy was waiting to get annoying toward the end, otherwise perfect first episode !
May 10, 2016 1:19 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ok I finally understand what people mean by lots of dialogue with Nisio Isin's stuff. Never encountered something like this. It's an interesting style and certainly has its appeals, but I'm not sure if this is something I can get easily used to. It's not the fact that there's a lot of dialogue, but the way the dialogue is delivered. I didn't expect it to be like BAM BAM BAM, one line after another without natural pauses. It doesn't give a person a moment to process each line, which is sort of hard on slow thinkers like me. I always took a long time reading passages for tests (state testing/SAT), and it was just something I could never improve on. I actually had to pause several times throughout this episode, lol. I liked most of the contents in the dialogue though, it was good exposition as well as characterization, for the most part. But when it got to Koumori, I just could not deal with the voice, which is another personal problem of mine, being unable to focus properly when I dislike a certain sound/voice. After a few minutes of that guy, I had to mute the video in order to focus on the subs. I think the dialogue style wouldn't be a problem for me if I was reading the novel instead, since I could take it at my own pace.

Visuals wise, I like the art style, it's refreshing. It's funny how people complain about lazy art styles when it's an anime doesn't look like your usual anime character designs...I find the character designs here to be cute :) But I can see it not being to other people's taste as well. The animation feels more on the minimal side, although it's better that way so we can focus on the dialogue.

Shichika is also my type of chill character. It's good that he's not the smartest guy, I feel like I'm him XD That might be the point too. I enjoyed his fighting style too. I love hand to hand combat.

Overall, positive first impression, although I have mixed feelings about my ability to focus. It's definitely not something I can marathon or watch episodes back to back. I'll take this one slow. But still faster than those who had to wait for 1 episode per month :P
tingyMay 10, 2016 1:26 AM
Jun 7, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2015
@D-ohnuts
I was literally thinking "Wow this is like Bakemonogatari but not boring" lol.

I think the characters are very interesting and the dialogue is really entertaining, too, but god damn that was some beautiful art style, I hope it keeps this standard. Yeah, I can see why people wouldn't like it but I thought it was great.

I was scared of the 1-hour duration but time flew by. I think I'm really gonna like this one.
Jul 4, 2016 4:53 AM

Jan 2016
"I'm more shocked at your body than the sword"
LMAO i know right? That was some Skull Knight shit right there
It had good humor too, although they talked a lot all the time for 50min they were always straight to the point

Loved the first episode, how they set up for what it seems to be an incredible journey
Jul 8, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2012
I'm not sure if I'll like Katanagatari. The art is nice and cute and I do enjoy the heavy dialogue, but the journey to collect the 12 swords isn't appealing to me.
Aug 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Aug 2014
Started weird, but i guess i like this anime, the setting is different, i dont see much anime with this setting, even though i think it requires some basic knowledge about Japanese Katana culture it is still enjoyable.

The premise of the story seems interesting and I'm looking forward to the journey and what will happen with them and between them.

Good Episode.
Sep 2, 2016 2:24 PM

Mar 2015
Wow this was a great start and I've totally fallen for Togame
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 8, 2016 3:58 AM

Jan 2012
This gave me kinda Bakemonogatari vibe , not sure if that's bad or good .

The sister seems to be strong too.

Barnald said:
That villiain had a super annoying voice.

Glad we are done with him in this ep.

Oct 7, 2016 9:39 PM

Jun 2016
Detailed episode, good length and a bit funny :)
Nov 4, 2016 12:51 AM

Mar 2012
Seems interesting. The MC's child-like personality reminds me of Goku lol.
Jan 4, 2017 7:44 PM

Dec 2011
The opening song reminds me of the main theme from Ghost in the Shell.
Feb 13, 2017 3:19 PM

May 2015
Wow. I already love this show. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 14, 2017 12:21 AM

Aug 2014
So far so good, pretty neat concept, excited to see where it'll go from here.
Jun 1, 2017 3:13 PM

Feb 2015
I'm in love with the art style. The two main characters seem kind of fun. But really wish they would cut down on the amount of dialogue. Like, geez, shut up for a second and get something done, will you?
Jun 11, 2017 8:19 PM

May 2013
"I love you" hahaha this should be a good watch.
Jul 15, 2017 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
There was a lot to like about this first episode! Togame and the siblings had a really fun dynamic. The ninja was more of a gnarly plot device, but I didn't mind.

I would have preferred just a few stills illustrating the exposition, and perhaps just two or three unique expressions during the scene in the shack, but other than that, I'm very satisfied with the visuals. Monogatari aims for a different overall atmosphere to Katana, so I don't think the same style of directing was necessarily needed here. I'm also a sucker for these colorful, flat and abstracted character designs, coupled with the backgrounds perfect for for a tale like this.

The similarities to Dragon Ball (e.g. Son Goku Training Arc) don't stop at Shichika resembling Goku. Togame is sort of like Bulma: they're both physically weak, relatively privileged and they're the ones who serve as the call to adventure to the overwhelming strong but innocent boy. The quest is also a "gotta catch them all" type in both cases.

The story seems pretty straight-forward so far, a classic hero's journey in many ways. What I didn't expect is that both Shichika and Togame are absolute dorks, and that's a good thing. Togame isn't just the call to adventure and obvious love interest, but it's implied that this story will be about how she grows as a strategist and as a person.

I'm guessing that Shichika's motivation will be finding his purpose, in addition to protecting Togame. Shichika's confession is probably not meant to be taken literally. The fact that he can't even tell people apart means that he either can't find Togame attractive in the first place, or that he would have found any random visitor attractive, arguably rendering the attraction superficial.

While it's possible that he truly believes that he has fallen for her, he used the expression "ai shiteru", which is something that most Japanese normally don't use when referring to their significant other (instead favoring suki and daisuki), suggesting that he doesn't know the implication of the phrase, or he's exaggerating. My point is, while it remains to be seen whether he will fall for Togame later (very likely), at this point it was most likely Togame's story that resonated with him and compelled him to tag along.

In fact, it's almost certain that Togame will develop a real crush on Shichika first. And even regardless of the romantic aspect, I can already see some potential for the first conflict between them in the future: Togame doesn't know that Shichika knows who she really is. Another thing to look forward to: we already know how pragmatic she is, but is Togame really willing to do anything to get justice for her family? And how will Shichika feel about her methods?

Of course, knowing Nisio Isin, the story will probably not let itself get too caught up in drama. Still, I feel confident in his (and the crew's) ability to handle these characters in a believable way, even coupled with the awkward humor.

As an aside, I don't know if anyone's brought this up here yet, but there was really a time when the ruler of Japan (shogun Hideyoshi Toyotomi) "confiscated everybody's swords," in 1590. So yeah, this is the Edo period, though obviously not aiming for historical accuracy; even ignoring the fantasy elements, the mere fact that Togame can be a high ranking military officer would be a dead giveaway.

And a final, random observation: Nanami probably has supernatural instincts. She saved the other two from the shuriken, and she said that Togame is "kind", even though that's not the impression she had been giving up to that point. This might come into play later, or it might not.
LeeTailorJul 15, 2017 7:05 PM
Aug 7, 2017 11:15 AM

Sep 2015
I love NisiOisin and as far as I know this is the last adaptation of his work I have to watch. And what an interesting work it is. I couldn't help but notice the similarities between this first episode and the beginning of Dragon Ball. A spoiled brat enlists the aid of a jungle raised monkey man to retrieve magical MacGuffins. Which when collected could change the world. I believe this is is either a deliberate reference. As I know from the Monogatari LNs NisiOisin loves Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest. Or they're both just heavily influenced by the stories of the Monkey King Sun Wukong from Journey to the West. Either one. I'd have to actually read Journey to the West to say.

Whatever the origin I'm very excited to watch this series. It's not quite as mind bending and trippy as Shaft's Monogatari anime. But it has a distinct visual style and a really cool soundtrack right off the bat. And also I find myself very compelled by Shichika Yasuri who is very different from the normal self loathing high schoolers who dominate Nisio's work. As well as Togame who's already one of the most compelling female leads he's concocted. And their relationship for that matter. That scene on the boat at the end was really cute. And I look forward to seeing their relationship bloom.

There was also a lot of that fine Nisio humor on display. The whole exchange where the Maniwa Ninja shape shifted into Togame had me dying. "Forget backwater this guy's an animal" was a really funny line that's been bouncing around in my head ever since. I also noticed his inability to tell people apart is reminiscent of Dragon Ball as well. That whole early sub plot where Goku can only tell people's gender at first by feeling their genitalia. Sounds so dirty when you spell it out. Last but not least I got a hearty chuckle out of Togame being like upside down while still tied to the tree when Shichika came to rescue her. Lot of memorable stuff. Fantastic first episode. Can't wait to see where it goes.
Sep 14, 2017 6:20 AM

Oct 2012
I like how they interact with each other
They have an interesting relationship and it's cute xD

Tamura Yukari did a great job.. for a "dojikko" chara.. again xD
Cherrio!
"Signature removed"
Nov 13, 2017 1:28 PM
Aug 2017
With the stellar reviews for this show listing all of its strengths, I found this first episode utterly disappointing by almost all means. I'm not saying that I won't give this episode more time, but it was purely introduction for fifty minutes straight. The amount of droning dialogue was enough to almost lull me to sleep. The music wasn't anything that stood out. The voice acting will take some time for me to get used to. Togame's character's voice, for now, annoys me so much. Added with her dumb decisions from the start and no great moments, she disappointed me the most. Again, I will give this series more time before I give it a review, but from this episode, I know I have my hopes too high.
Nov 16, 2017 9:28 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, I'm impressed at how bad this episode was, basically 45 minutes of info dump and dialogue with 5 poor seconds of action. I was genuinely tempted to drop this show right here and now, but I'll keep going...for now.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 16, 2018 4:44 PM

Aug 2007
Hmm, I'm not sure what to think about this anime so far.
I also don't think I've encountered a TV type anime that has 50 min episodes.

Togame giving herself a self-appointed title just reminds me of Dwight from The Office, aha.

Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

632 by dspr »»
May 24, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hatsuyuki - Sep 11, 2012

143 by dspr »»
May 23, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.