Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 19, 2014 1:44 AM
Sep 2009
By the way, Chaika translated from russian means seagull.
Apr 19, 2014 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
Inver said:
By the way, Chaika translated from russian means seagull.
Wow, good to know, thank you
Apr 19, 2014 8:32 AM

Sep 2013
Seems interesting. The first episode was kind of boring, but it has peaked my interest. Hopefully we won't be disappointed by horrible character development and bad writing T_T Chaika is too kawaiiiiiiii though.
Apr 19, 2014 12:41 PM

Nov 2012
Best daughter ever! Trying to make a funeral for her grandfather who never had one! I nearly cried! (Sorry if it's her father, not grandfather, I'm a but in a daze)
Apr 19, 2014 5:06 PM

Aug 2010
Marzan said:
The action scenes are pretty good and we have an MC that's got balls if not much common sense. Excellent, that will make for an entertaining watch.

"Chaika?"
"Yes, Chaika"
"Chaika"

Best bit of dialogue I've heard in a while.

Dat. It made my day.

And Chaika is too damn cute <3 <3 <3. Mugi told me that.
Apr 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
This episode has increased my interest for this anime. I understand why our MC wants to start wars. Living a normal life sucks when you can't do anything worthwhile, so why not create war? That would make life more interesting.
Apr 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Apr 2014
Always-Hungry said:
The battle on the bridge between Tooru and the big guy was pretty cool. At least now we know a little bit about Chaika.

This, and action seems pretty good, although I'm curious into finding out how they get the "Iron Blood Fusion" thing from.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Oct 2013
Akari is great and Toru is clever with his fighting. His iron-blood transformation is cool, I wonder how the technique works though.

I wonder why they decided to avoid the cart when that Tank was 10x bigger than it.

Well, nothing much to describe but the action scenes were great. Chaika wants to gather Gaz's remains and give him a proper funeral.

Let's see how this goes.
Apr 20, 2014 12:07 PM

Jul 2013
Heh.. I was certain I'm gonna drop this after 2nd episode.. how wrong I was.

This is TONS better than the 1st episode. The story is nothing original but good enough to pique my interest. The fight on the bridge was very well done.. I just hope they stopped chanting that stupid spell every time they wanted to use the iron-blood transformation.
Apr 20, 2014 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
He is fine with war? Well, with his profession, guess he'd profit from war. Still sounds like a dangerous guy. But as people said here, it's also way more interesting than the random "I fight for justice!!" hero ;-)

Chaika seems to be innocent and a case of "born in the wrong place/family". Seems to be a really good girl. Poor girl, being chased only because of her family name :-(

All in all, pretty interesting series with a good pacing and story-telling, imho. I feel like I've seen a lot of anime with similar setting, but most of them were crappy. This one seems to stand out so far. Let's see how it develops^^
Apr 20, 2014 6:01 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think this is the original Chaika. I think this one is a clone. Some flags were sent up with this episode.
Apr 21, 2014 7:55 AM

Jan 2013
Cute Female MC, decent action, some average fantasy plot (that I don't really care in animes), I cannot really find anything to whine about.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 21, 2014 8:28 AM

Oct 2009
Liking where this is going. The fight choreography was pretty cool! Hopefully we'll see more of this.
Apr 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Jul 2010
Damn bones, they completely changed Akari character, WHY ? She is so different from the manga, its like another character... wanna drop this.
Apr 21, 2014 2:34 PM

Mar 2012
Princess Chaika Gaz... I don't think anyone who grew up in the former USSR could say that with a straight face :)

Takuan_Soho said:
That the writer focuses on the reading of coffin and ignores the reading for princess (which is what the two characters mean), is probably the writer expressing a subtle emphasis.
While the "princess" part is certainly de-emphasized, one could technically argue that the reading isn't completely ignored, since the on-yomi of 姫 is "ki", which can become "gi" thanks to rendaku. Sure, "hitsugi" already contains a "gi", but this sort of reading overlap isn't unheard of in Japanese personal names. Take Ai Kayano, whose given name is written 愛衣, even though the normal reading of 愛 is already "ai".... Nah, who am I kidding, it's pronounced "Hitsugi" because Ichirō Sakaki says it is, just like 禁書目録 is pronounced "indekkusu" as per Kazuma Kamachi.
Apr 21, 2014 3:03 PM

Mar 2014
vonPeterhof said:
Princess Chaika Gaz... I don't think anyone who grew up in the former USSR could say that with a straight face :)

Takuan_Soho said:
That the writer focuses on the reading of coffin and ignores the reading for princess (which is what the two characters mean), is probably the writer expressing a subtle emphasis.
While the "princess" part is certainly de-emphasized, one could technically argue that the reading isn't completely ignored, since the on-yomi of 姫 is "ki", which can become "gi" thanks to rendaku. Sure, "hitsugi" already contains a "gi", but this sort of reading overlap isn't unheard of in Japanese personal names. Take Ai Kayano, whose given name is written 愛衣, even though the normal reading of 愛 is already "ai".... Nah, who am I kidding, it's pronounced "Hitsugi" because Ichirō Sakaki says it is, just like 禁書目録 is pronounced "indekkusu" as per Kazuma Kamachi.

I also thought the pronounce of the title is concerned with rendaku and with the irregular naming way to person. But "Hitsugi" in this case, is not a personal name. And I don't know such cases that rendaku overlaps the naming way. Furthermore, this thought is too technical :)

Yeah, the author says it is "Hitsugi", it shall be "Hitsugi".
dmrchApr 21, 2014 3:13 PM
Apr 21, 2014 10:48 PM
Oct 2012
mrmuk said:
He is fine with war? Well, with his profession, guess he'd profit from war.

Is a bad peace better than a good war? That will be the question I think. If this "peace" really is the "heroes" of the war against the Gaz exploiting everyone, then perhaps a war is better than a fake peace where everyone is exploited by those in power. This is not to downplay the seriousness of war and that most wars end up being far worse than people expect, but I really don't want to be preached to about peace by the person who is holding the whip.

vonPeterhof said:

Well, you will never get much of an argument out of me about how screwed up Japanese names are :-)

But the sad thing is 愛衣 is actually read a - i, though 愛 is normally "ai", however in names it is just as often pronounced "a", with 衣 being "i". Japanese names are enough to cause any one to despair.

http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%84%9B%E8%A1%A3
Apr 22, 2014 10:47 AM

Mar 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
But the sad thing is 愛衣 is actually read a - i, though 愛 is normally "ai", however in names it is just as often pronounced "a", with 衣 being "i". Japanese names are enough to cause any one to despair.

http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%84%9B%E8%A1%A3

愛 has more pronunciation in Japanese names other than in that site.
あき (aki), さね (sane), ちかし (Chikashi), つね (tsune), なり (nari), のり (nori), ひで (hide), めぐむ (megumu), やす (yasu), よしみ (yoshimi), より (yori)...
I agree it causes great despair to anyone including the native speakers.
dmrchApr 22, 2014 5:08 PM
Apr 22, 2014 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty nice fighting scenes. The choreography wasn't half bad and definitely put in more detail in animation compared to other shounen fights.

A main character that doesn't mind bringing the world to chaos. Liking him already. Definitely deviating from other main characters.
Apr 22, 2014 1:35 PM

May 2009
vonPeterhof said:

You don't even have to be from the USSR.
For those who don't know: "Trabant" was a car made in East Germany (probably the most common in the eastern block, we had one too)

But the best coincidence is that the soviet made GAZ M13 car was called Chaika.

So the Gaz Chaika was one of those so called "black cars" that came for you in the night and your family ended up never seeing you again. That's why it sounds a bit strange for us.
voripeterApr 22, 2014 1:42 PM
Apr 23, 2014 9:41 PM

Sep 2013
I like this anime, it kills my boredom. Easy to read and understand.

I also like the main character because he's bored as fuck and has literally nothing better to do with his free time lol.

Apr 24, 2014 1:56 PM

Sep 2013
Enjoyable show. I hope for fun ride but pray for an excellent ending.
Apr 24, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2011
Still don't see a direction yet, hope to get one soon.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 25, 2014 1:55 AM

May 2012
06:06 za bureikaa!!

Hmm... 6.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 27, 2014 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

If it were not for the graphics are not perfect, I would say that the rest is good. You can imagine what the aim of the plot, however much that lingers on the historical context that you are experiencing, not bad, it starts to affect the story.
Narration very usable, the fights are well done, perhaps a slightly more fluid animation would have made ​​the whole thing epic.
I'm not complaining though.
The protagonists take on characterization, good!
One good thing about this anime is that there is no spoiler in the poster.
May 1, 2014 11:22 AM

May 2013
So the bad guys aren't really bad :D
they just want peace

and the good guys are still good cause they just want a good funeral for the father but i think something will happen if they gather all the parts the demon magician will be reborn and start a new war and that's bad
May 1, 2014 4:32 PM

Jan 2011
Funny how apparently none of the "good" guys (Gillette etc.) ever asked what Chaika wants with the remains of her father. Maybe they simply want to remove anything that reminds people of Gaz as someone mentioned already here.

While Gillette was listing reasons why it's bad to help Chaika i was like "so?". I mean, "she wants to collect the remains of her fathers". Yeah, and why is that bad? "She may want to rebuild Gaz". Yeah, and why is that bad? "The remains are powerful magic fuels". Yeah, i can see that, the "hero" used them accordingly. "We finally have peace". I can see that, with people hunting others, and later that guy from the Restoration agency listed quite a lot of problems..

For me it looks like they want to be in control. They defeated the emperor of Gaz and are seen as heroes. They probably also divided the empire amongst themselves. And the remains of the emporer himself are pretty useful. I can see how they do not want to give that up. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the emperor and his empire weren't as bad as they make it. And even if, they are just following in the same vein - they simply aren't powerful enough to be like him.
May 3, 2014 5:30 AM
Sep 2013
"I need a substitute driver!" What the hell is this? Taxi simulator 2014?
Story super cliche, cannot describe, words cannot find.
May 3, 2014 5:38 AM

Jan 2011
Man, this opening is so weird. ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
NwAurion said:
Maybe they simply want to remove anything that reminds people of Gaz as someone mentioned already here.

Probably, they want to have lè control.
Ilyakillya said:
Taxi simulator 2014?

10/10 would buy.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 13, 2014 12:21 PM

Jul 2009
Still thinking it will be a lost of time...but I will watch at least more 2 episodes before I decide to drop it.
May 31, 2014 12:59 AM

Apr 2012
wow those fight scenes r deadly i hope theres alot more n the quality dosent drop
Jun 14, 2014 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
Chaika is so cute xD the way she talks is so funny & cute ^^
So Chaika is the daughter of the Imperator Gaz,the bad guy who was like a communist who was killing everyone,but she don't want to get her father back she just want to get his remains to make him a decent funeral.
Tooru & Akari promissed that they will help her to recover her father remains.
This is getting better :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 17, 2014 2:35 PM

May 2013
Great episode.

At least Chaika doesn't have a bad intention, she just wants to give her father a proper funeral c:
Jun 17, 2014 8:22 PM

Sep 2012
wow, toru has them skills,
Jun 25, 2014 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
Compared to the first episode, this was a huge step up. The fights were definitely awesome, I like how Tooru uses whatever he can get his hands on. Not to mention I like how subtle the siblings are with their strategies, such as how Akari knew to use a smoke bomb in that situation without being cued to. I also found it interesting how Tooru welcomes war and the possible conflict Chaika could bring in contrast to wanting to preserve peace. Although I honestly think it's touching that Chaika just wants to give her father a proper funeral.
Jul 9, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
Chaika?
Uh.Chaika.
Chaika.
xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 31, 2014 1:36 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice development quite like the slight backstory we've got to see and this time it's not ow we're the good guys protecting shit story line but more like yea we know that we're doing something wrong and we don't care! Really nice so let's see what's next!
Aug 1, 2014 8:39 PM

Sep 2013
So begins the "Chaika. Chaika? Chaika." meme.
Sep 9, 2014 6:33 AM

Jun 2008
So how are they going to show them trying to collect "That" specific body part lol.
The tube will be pixelated?
Sep 10, 2014 12:05 AM
Mar 2014
Haha, trying to convince him to give up the hand to prevent war.
They had just said that he has no talent other than fighting, then they try to convince him to give up the hope he has.

Chaika seems pretty genuine, although looks like there's a lot more to collect if she just has a hand.
Sep 20, 2014 6:17 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like there will be plenty of mystery to go around. Theres a lot of questions raised so far.
There not much to talk about in the show so far but the dialogue
"Chaika?"
"Yes, Chaika"
"Chaika"
LMAO, what was the POINT?!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 23, 2014 11:18 AM

Jun 2013
Strangely i felt like this was a big step down from the first episode :/
Oct 16, 2014 7:57 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Ohh, this was another nice episode. Things are getting started! Good pacing! I like this 'Gilette' male. Though he and his entourage have the feel of 'good guys'. Maybe they will join as friends? And a mysterious woman floating in the air... !

Onwards to episode 3!

Sent with Mal Updater

Dec 10, 2014 4:39 AM

Aug 2013
Wow wow.. really nice fighting there.
The movements are pretty smooth.. MC quite badass too.
Let's begin the journey.. ( •̀ω•́ )/
Jan 25, 2015 9:34 AM

May 2014
This is a great episode. Action fight scenes are really good. Characterization win!
Jul 28, 2015 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
damn that fight scene with the guy with big sword sure was awesome. Tooru is great I don't know why they think Saboteurs have become useless. Anyway who would turn down someone like Chaika? She's too cute to be left alone.. no pedo
Dec 1, 2015 7:49 AM

Mar 2015
One of the best fights I ever seen in long time. I like saboteur fighting style <3

I see. That's why Chaika always carrying coffin, huh?
Jan 2, 2016 8:25 AM
Feb 2013
This was a much better episode than the first one. This episode had a ton of great action scenes and suspense.
Oct 26, 2017 3:45 PM

Sep 2011
I hope we can learn more about our characters, because our protagonist's motivation for helping Chaika seems a bit weird for now. I now he is basically a soldier, but wanting war to come back just because of that... :/
Nov 2, 2017 5:18 AM

Jan 2017
It's sealed, i'm in love with Chaika, she's just way too cute and her manner of speaking totally reminds me of Udon's Poco <3333333

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

305 by MahiruShiina »»
Jul 3, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

155 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2014

100 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

224 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.