Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 2022 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
Aired on AbemaTV just now and well, it was fun and full of energy even wiith the OP theme song...but the storytelling felt flat. While Yayoi and her friends made the most impact in this episode, there's quite a bit of other cast members introduced too.

So many character joy in this anime though. It felt like every minute, everyone is smiling or laughing in some way.
Jul 2, 2022 6:30 AM

Jul 2017
ABEMA and Bilibili early release.

My first thought of this show is: yet another manzai comedy show? Fall 2020's Maesetsu! was just abysmal, that's a niche show if you're not all that integrated into Japanese comedy culture that 3 of you ever barely watched back in the day.

Getting the introductions down on the main cast members and their individually unique intricacies, and the 15 members of 5 groups × 3 members each are housed together in the Takako-so dorm with weirdo pretty-boy manager-cum-caretaker, janitor and bodybuilder Tani Seiji to earn the spot for the Teppen Grand Prix and be better stand-up comedians. This is something like the VA amateur show Cue! in that regard.

For a start, focusing on the Kansai manzai group Young Wai-Wai that consists of pink-haired Yayoi Sakamoto, blue-haired Yomogi Takahashi and orange-haired Yuzu Hosono and showcasing their manzai beginner's story of clearing their name of Seiji's prized amateur bodybuilding trophy that has its head ripped out, that's a weird story overall, but served well for their inaugural admission into the Takako-so dorm.

Be aware that despite this show being directed by Tokyo Ghoul:re director Toshinori Watanabe, it's chief director Shinji Takamatsu (famous for Grand Blue and RobiHachi) on the helm, so I hope the comedy sticks better the same here, just as the show asks you to Laughing 'til you Cry.
KANLen09Jul 2, 2022 7:24 AM
Jul 2, 2022 6:33 AM

Apr 2014
It's Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's Osaka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Basically, this anime is Maesetsu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + Cue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + Selection Project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The characters from this anime are weirdos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope there will be an episode focusing on each group as well, not only focus on the main group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AkeZZZJul 2, 2022 6:37 AM
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 2, 2022 6:36 AM

Feb 2020
Not my cup of tea. I don't really like these type of comedies.

SerafosJul 2, 2022 11:53 AM
Jul 2, 2022 6:49 AM

Jun 2021
Alternative names: Teppen 15 exclamation marks

Easily the 2nd best title ever.
Jul 2, 2022 7:13 AM

Nov 2010
It's a boring random / slapstick comedy with so many girls. The characters design is kind of lame; wide set eyes and a wrongly placed mouth.
Jul 2, 2022 7:40 AM

Dec 2018
Wow that was really bad

A male? In this type of anime? No thanks! I prefer only girls. I mean the reason why I watched this is because I wanna watch the little cute girls Lol. I really don't wanna watch muscular males doing muscular things. This anime is all over the place and doesn't seem to understand the simple concept of Cute """GIRLS""" Doing """CUTE""" Things. And I also don't think it was very funny more annoying

Therefore I give trash anime 1/10

Yuri-CrusaderJul 3, 2022 1:30 AM
Jul 2, 2022 7:47 AM

Feb 2019
kuroneko99 said:
It's a boring random / slapstick comedy with so many girls. The characters design is kind of lame; wide set eyes and a wrongly placed mouth.

Design taken from the girls in Dr. Stone :P
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Jul 2, 2022 7:48 AM

Jun 2021
The King of Iron Comedy Tournament....... Enter the Teppen!!

So this appears to be a mix of Love Live! and CUE! but for comedy, mixed with the unique personalities of a Bushiroad property like Bandori or D4DJ, but this first episode also contained backwards Memento-ass mystery elements, all enveloped in a stand up routine... To be honest, it seems very complex.

I was coming into this expecting something like Asobi Asobase, just insane batshit comedy going at a mile a minute. But it appears to be the Osaka comedy that I don't really get. I know it's just stand-up so it's just people saying shit on stage, but for some reason Osakan stand-up (or Manzai? I think that's what it's called) just hits different in that it doesn't seem for me. There were a few chuckles I will admit, maybe the craft will grow on me.

The honest to god one thing that stood out is the eyes of that one red-haired girl who was into aliens (or maybe IS an alien?!). They were pretty in a trippy sort of way. Also the one with the light purple hair in the rich girl trio looks like Aoba from New Game!

I'm sure this will grow on me, but it just has to be really funny. At least it's way less boring than CUE! was.
Jul 2, 2022 8:01 AM

Apr 2010
This was trying to hard which made it underwhelming, there where also to many characters being introduced which made things confusing.
Because the number of characters that where being shown some ended up really stereotype.

A first episode of an anime being bad doesn't mean the entire anime is bad so i will give it a try but so for i can't say it's good.
Jul 2, 2022 8:13 AM
Jul 2015
Silent_Shadow05 said:
Alternative names: Teppen 15 exclamation marks

Easily the 2nd best title ever.

Here I thought no one could surpass Keijo with the exclamation marks lol
Jul 2, 2022 8:13 AM
Jan 2020
OP of the year let's goooooooo, and the chara designs are very distinct
Jul 2, 2022 8:24 AM

Oct 2015
The trophy though🤣

I don't have a problem with it as of yet. Let's go.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 2, 2022 8:25 AM

Jul 2017
This show perfectly represents 2 things. How comedy is subjective and people will watch anything if there are cute girls in it.
Jul 2, 2022 8:44 AM
作画

Nov 2019
oh god this is so fucking bad I couldn't get past 11 minutes
Jul 2, 2022 8:49 AM

Feb 2010
comedy without comedy, that's all.
Jul 2, 2022 9:30 AM

Sep 2021
Yeah not my type of comedy
Jul 2, 2022 10:01 AM

Jun 2017
Things have changed a lot between Teppen (1996) and Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2022):

Jul 2, 2022 10:17 AM

May 2014
Pretty random first episode, was kind of fun though.
Jul 2, 2022 10:25 AM

May 2021
Great episode! The OP was so great!
The girls replaced the statue head with a duck one xD. Seems the statue was randomly on their table without a head!
The members of Young Wai Wai are funny lol-especially Yayoi lol.
The statue fell from the ceiling...and the head is in the garbage where a crow has taken it?!
(Crows are best birds).
That was a good comedy routine from Young Wai-Wai!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jul 2, 2022 10:42 AM

Feb 2019
It is decidedly more irreverent and generally out of control than the manga it's based on, and I think does make a convincing case that it won't just be "girls are cute," and the comedy is certainly more geared towards… uh… chaos energy… than simply randomly screaming or making silly faces, though there absolutely was plenty of that too, but it wasn't the only joke it told, and the high production absolutely helped. I'm not totally sure most of the jokes will land, especially for a non-Japanese audience, but there are enough of them that even if 80% miss, you're still getting more, and a much greater variety than, say, Spy x Family had in any given episode. I'm pleasantly surprised, even if as often as not, most of my reaction to its references was to just ignorantly nod along.
Jul 2, 2022 11:13 AM

Mar 2015
Not my cup of tea. Better than trhe last group comedy though. Gonna give it a couple more episodes before dropping i guess.
Jul 2, 2022 11:51 AM

Apr 2012
you lost me when i saw

"i broke something really valuable that belonged to a friend" -> "huh? thats serious"
like they dint knew about it and then on the next scene, it shows all 3 of them looking at that broken thing
Jul 2, 2022 12:09 PM

Feb 2019
Yea this has hidden gem of the season written all over it. Kinda reminds me of an ochifuru mixed with healer girl from last season. A really fun, turn your brain off and enjoy type of show.

We get a lot of idol shows, but have never really got a comedy trio series so this has some really unique potential. I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes. The girls seem really cute and funny in this first episode. Saturday’s slate isn’t even complete yet but it’s looking stacked
Jul 2, 2022 12:32 PM

Jul 2011
Interesting the VA directing, to make every group have a good manzai rhythm.

And everyone have good reaction faces.

Jokes may be lost in translation, but sound goods to watch in a Saturday afternoon.
Jul 2, 2022 1:07 PM

May 2021
I liked the little mystery of the trophy and the fucking UFO in the background but there are just way too many characters introduced, with none of them managing to hold my interest.

Jul 2, 2022 2:21 PM

Dec 2008
It's so different hearing Y!Y!Y! but without Team Y!
I liked they way they introduced all characters it was fun
Jul 2, 2022 3:03 PM

Sep 2020
So it's kind of like idols but with Rakugo, very interesting start~Also the statue part is very funny.
Jul 2, 2022 6:10 PM

Aug 2020
I got absorbed by the storytelling of this show. Before I knew it, I was enjoying the episode. Great narration, wide variety of groups/characters. Can'tw ait for the other units to perform/tell their story!

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 2, 2022 6:55 PM

Nov 2012
never even cracked a smile.
Jul 2, 2022 7:12 PM

Aug 2018
Interesting xd
Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, it's several groups of girls doing comedy living in the same hostel, it was entertaining. The opening is catchy and the ending is good.
Jul 2, 2022 7:31 PM
Back to anime

Jun 2017
I'll be honest here, I didn't expect this to make me laugh so much or to enjoy it that much, but between the awesome OP, the bit with the statue, and the one with the aliens, not to mention the frikin castle the celeb team built to make their room bigger, that was all pure comedy gold, and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy this show a lot, ehehe~!>:P>
Jul 2, 2022 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
op is pretty great, this kind comedy won't be for everyone even more so when it's more tied to native speakers ,but the storytelling on all of the characters interdictions based around a headless trophy was entertaining to see unfold and was kinda chaotic which seems to be the vibe it's going for
Jul 2, 2022 8:33 PM

Jan 2021
This is defintely something that seems like it was made for people well versed in different, and possibly niche, parts of regional Japanese culture. It was hard to get through the episode, but it did finish off alright, so I 'll try to give it the 3 episode rule. Hopefully the comedy improves a bit (as I said, I know it is heavily reliant on knowledge of Osaka and the culture), and they slow it down. I don't know if it is typical for this type of comedy to go fast IRL, but it's really hard to follow here.

The OP and ED were surpisingly nice as well.

Jul 2, 2022 11:06 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
What's with the negative reviews?
I actually quite like it a lot...
It was funny and it turned out the girls were telling the story and it turned into a funny mystery, the case of the missing trophy head...
I will watch it again next week...

The manager seems gay though

Jul 3, 2022 1:19 AM
Nov 2018
Finally with this show, hopefully those who hated Maesetsu (and unfortunately seems almost a majority) will understand it wasn’t the show itself they didn’t like, but simply the fact that they don’t understand Japanese stand up. (Seems an over simplification, but almost all negative comments in its discussions were on the stand up)

I don’t really get it myself quite yet, but I’m getting there. However I’ve always love the Tsukomi/Boke dynamic especially in shows like Sket Dance as well as this chief director’s previous works like Gintama and Daily lives of high school boys.

I consider the stand up aspects in this as an opportunity for educating myself in the ways of manzai.

Hopefully, people can get past a cultural element they don’t understand and enjoy the main “story” itself. Much like how you don’t need to like a sport to enjoy a good sport drama anime, if the characters are enjoyable and their dynamic is good, nothing else matters that much.

If you don’t like the characters or the main segments then, fair enough. But I personally thought it was a great time.

IndianaBones9Jul 3, 2022 1:25 AM
Jul 3, 2022 1:22 AM
Nov 2018
ryo-san said:
What's with the negative reviews?
I actually quite like it a lot...
It was funny and it turned out the girls were telling the story and it turned into a funny mystery, the case of the missing trophy head...
I will watch it again next week...

The manager seems gay though

I really enjoyed the mystery element of this episode. I felt so bad for him, but even he must admit that his trophy is way more epic now.
Jul 3, 2022 8:16 AM
Jun 2017
I enjoyed the varity of character design. I felt they didn't go full force in the comedy and made the flow a tad off with the jumps through time.
It has potential though, feels like it'll be able to rely on some good humour once it drops character introductions.

That ED is so cute..!
Jul 3, 2022 9:14 AM

Jun 2013
So where's the comedy?
Jul 3, 2022 9:41 AM

Mar 2014
Ughh it's manzai anime huh !? I already hate it
RedChromeJul 3, 2022 11:13 AM
Jul 3, 2022 11:51 AM

Sep 2018
That was a unique way of showing manzai comedy in an anime, pretty nice start. Also, that OP bops. This will be another niche comedy.
Jul 3, 2022 7:46 PM
Jun 2021
I was actually surprised, liked the comedy w/ SoL aspects
Jul 4, 2022 3:26 AM

Feb 2019
Making the whole episode one long routine was a brilliant idea, it created a great rhythm across the entire episode, from introducing the whole cast to establishing how our main group met. Opening had lots of style too.

Impressed with this one. Seiji and the alien girl are great.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jul 4, 2022 11:17 AM
Jan 2022
Maybe its a cultural difference or something but I barely found anything funny in this anime. I honestly was extremely bored watching. I was constantly checking to see how much time was left in the episode.

Normally I try not to drop anime, but I honestly think I am gonna drop this one. Why watch something that is suppose to be funny when I don't find it funny at all. I might wait till maybe all the episodes drop and give a another chance but for right now I am not interested.
Jul 4, 2022 3:56 PM

Jun 2016
Great timing on solving the case right after you defaced the statue. True detectives right there.

Big cast of characters, so little time to care. Got me going, ehh, on why I should even care. Cute designs tho. Plenty of variety amongst them, too.

Can't really see a spark here, other than the absurd attempt at comedy -Japanese humour, am I right- but if each episode is like this, it'll get boring, real fast.

Jul 4, 2022 8:48 PM

Dec 2016
Not a big fan of the kind of shows that dump a whole dozen+ of cute girls as protagonists in the first episode, but at least I have to say that the whole dynamic of retelling the tragic story of the missing head trophy while on stage was on point, plus plenty of the gags did land on me. Plus Ayasa Itou is in the main cast and she makes almost every show a 100 times better, so I'm sticking with it in the meantime.
Jul 5, 2022 12:57 AM

Dec 2020
thats probably the most exclamation marks ive seen in a single title so far lol

weird and.. Weird. can be cute but im not rly feeling it rn. the animation is stiff n the colors are honestly a bit too saturated for me. ill stick around for one or two more eps
Jul 5, 2022 5:26 AM

May 2009
It's awful like Maesatsu.
Jul 5, 2022 6:35 AM

Oct 2008
rktales said:
comedy without comedy, that's all.

well i didn't laugh at all....hmmm that's weird...
3/5.

Jul 5, 2022 8:19 AM

Feb 2021
I thought it was alright. Sure the comedy might fall flat for some people, cultural differences and all. But I liked the tone of the show, the vibe is nice enough. I'll keep going.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2022

17 by budakr »»
Dec 19, 2022 11:25 AM

Poll: » Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 27, 2022

15 by qit1 »»
Nov 11, 2022 9:18 AM

Poll: » Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 20, 2022

17 by qit1 »»
Nov 11, 2022 8:46 AM

Poll: » Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 6, 2022

15 by qit1 »»
Nov 11, 2022 7:49 AM

» Do you think it's funny?

Wave-kun - Jul 25, 2022

24 by mumun »»
Sep 30, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.