Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Girls' Last Tour
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 5, 2017 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
FireballStarfish said:
TheHopefulOtaku said:
Yeah, a problem. I don't understand what you mean by just putting that word in quotations.
Well, back at you: I don't understand what about this is a problem.
Few shows use such a repressed color palette, but that's a stylistic choice. Of course it is dull; that's the whole point. The show is set in a dead, empty post-war world of concrete, metal and snow, resulting in a palette of mostly brown, gray and white. In addition, a lot of the show takes place at night or in poorly lit rooms. This isn't always the case though: apart from a couple sunset scenes (which are naturally orange but still quite monochrome), the final scenes of episodes 2 and 4 for example stand out by using noticably more vivid colors.

But about 90% of the anime is just pure darkness. Dull isn't bad, but it shouldn't be this boring, especially when there are entire episodes where everything is black.
I've seen too many background arts in anime that convey the same tone this anime tries to convey, but with far more diversity.
Dec 5, 2017 10:49 PM

Feb 2014
When the giant robot suddenly showed up the first time, it scared the hell out of me.
But this episode hit me hard. Especially the creaking noise the robot made while falling. It almost sounded as if it was screaming/crying, which I think was deliberate, and it sure worked on me. Easily the best episode so far.
TheHopefulOtaku said:
FireballStarfish said:
Well, back at you: I don't understand what about this is a problem.
Few shows use such a repressed color palette, but that's a stylistic choice. Of course it is dull; that's the whole point. The show is set in a dead, empty post-war world of concrete, metal and snow, resulting in a palette of mostly brown, gray and white. In addition, a lot of the show takes place at night or in poorly lit rooms. This isn't always the case though: apart from a couple sunset scenes (which are naturally orange but still quite monochrome), the final scenes of episodes 2 and 4 for example stand out by using noticably more vivid colors.

But about 90% of the anime is just pure darkness. Dull isn't bad, but it shouldn't be this boring, especially when there are entire episodes where everything is black.
I've seen too many background arts in anime that convey the same tone this anime tries to convey, but with far more diversity.

Yeah, that's one thing that has been bothering me in this show. But I think the color palette would have still been fine, if the lighting was better and there was more old school cel animation style contrast in the visuals, to make the details in the backgrounds pop out. Everything looks too plain and washed out in this show.
When compared side by side, Technolyze looks far more interesting and engaging visually, because of the way it uses lighting, shadows, and contrast, and of course the (slightly more) varied color palette.

VhailorDec 5, 2017 11:02 PM
Dec 6, 2017 3:09 AM

Feb 2017
Zeando said:
hikikomoriMK-II said:
I didn't feel like the little robot had empathy with the fish, is more like a main objective, i guess. And maybe its empathy was like interpret human speech and identify emotions, this didn't mean that it necessarily had feelings. But is a futuristic setting, so may i'm wrong.

A robot is a robot, 99,999% none of them had human empathy, what i meant was that the little robot managed to reproduce empathy in a way to make other persons (yuu and chii) care for him and his objective(fish).

The difference between the little robot and the big one was that the little one managed to have the humans on its side, while the big robot didn't manage to make its objective important for the humans (the big one didn't even take into account the presence of humans there).
So the humans ended helping the little robot, and disregarding the objective of the big one.

cuz the little one is being equipped by communication skill, he literally said it himself. so he's like tourist guide
Zeando said:
hikikomoriMK-II said:
I didn't feel like the little robot had empathy with the fish, is more like a main objective, i guess. And maybe its empathy was like interpret human speech and identify emotions, this didn't mean that it necessarily had feelings. But is a futuristic setting, so may i'm wrong.

A robot is a robot, 99,999% none of them had human empathy, what i meant was that the little robot managed to reproduce empathy in a way to make other persons (yuu and chii) care for him and his objective(fish).

The difference between the little robot and the big one was that the little one managed to have the humans on its side, while the big robot didn't manage to make its objective important for the humans (the big one didn't even take into account the presence of humans there).
So the humans ended helping the little robot, and disregarding the objective of the big one.

cuz the little one is being equipped by communication skill with human, he literally said it himself. so he's like tourist guide.

on the other side, it's so obvious the big one wasn't equipped by any communication skill with human.
just look at him, he's aware that yuu is on top of him. it seems like he tried to say something toyuu but sadly he couldn't say a thing. he couldn't say it out loud.
Dec 6, 2017 9:17 AM

Mar 2016
Dec 6, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
The design of the small automaton was cute. Impractical, but still. The sound of its steps was pleasant as well.

Who could have known that Saving Private Fish could be this evoking? The destruction of the giant automaton even managed to draw a few tears out of me. Regardless, I was happy to see that the small automaton and its protegee will live on for a bit longer.

As life is defined by its end.

Every episode so far has pleasantly surprised me in regards to how deep, philosophical issues are approached. One small bit at a time.
Dec 6, 2017 2:20 PM

Jun 2013
Amazing episode indeed, the best of the season.

Got some serious NieR: Automata vibes. Philosophical themes were very similiar.
Dec 7, 2017 9:14 AM

Jun 2017
Vhailor said:
When the giant robot suddenly showed up the first time, it scared the hell out of me.
But this episode hit me hard. Especially the creaking noise the robot made while falling. It almost sounded as if it was screaming/crying, which I think was deliberate, and it sure worked on me. Easily the best episode so far.
TheHopefulOtaku said:

Yeah, that's one thing that has been bothering me in this show. But I think the color palette would have still been fine, if the lighting was better and there was more old school cel animation style contrast in the visuals, to make the details in the backgrounds pop out. Everything looks too plain and washed out in this show.
When compared side by side, Technolyze looks far more interesting and engaging visually, because of the way it uses lighting, shadows, and contrast, and of course the (slightly more) varied color palette.

I get a cold shaded wasteland of steel vibe from the SSR artstyle, which I think is appropriate as is. Technolyse looks hot and dry.

Ah well, I'm guessing budget limits. They knew they would still score with the current quality.
Dec 8, 2017 7:27 AM

Oct 2014
TheHopefulOtaku said:

Then, would you be kind enough to share your knowledge?
1. What, do you think, is the tone the staff are trying to convey?
2. Please give an example of "background arts in anime that convey the same tone this aime tries to convey, but with far more diversity." Please include a screenshot of such background, if possible.

Thank you.
Dec 8, 2017 7:46 AM

Aug 2013
Laughed when the machine said "Hello."

Yuu saved the fish she wanted to eat so much.

Great episode once again.

Dec 8, 2017 11:08 AM
Dec 2017
Based on Ep9 I'm a bit worried about this series. It's obviously not a slice-of-life in the way e.g. ARIA was, it apparently has a hidden agenda. Ever since FMA turned the most bizarre, sickest and evil concepts into mainstream assets for anime, one just can't stop worrying about what shock Japan delivers next time.

I feel Last Tour may be a kind of upside-down Made in Abyss, with ascend instead of descent and we all know that show wasn't OK in any moral sense.
Dec 8, 2017 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
TheHopefulOtaku said:

Then, would you be kind enough to share your knowledge?
1. What, do you think, is the tone the staff are trying to convey?
2. Please give an example of "background arts in anime that convey the same tone this aime tries to convey, but with far more diversity." Please include a screenshot of such background, if possible.

Thank you.

1) Post apocalyptic, or a ruined place, or any tone that tries to convey a feeling of hopelessness.
2) Other anime's backgrounds just look more dynamic. Look at these:

A lot of the backgrounds in Girls' Last Tour look like the pic in the left: just dark, dull, colors, unlike the pic on the right which creates some contrast with blue.

Compare the image on the left with these:

The dirt-brown, a majority of it covered in darkness, with a lot of lighting in the corner.

Bleak white and gray used to convey the post-apocalyptic setting (opposed to typical black/brown), with blood red complimenting it.

The blue mixes perfectly with the black, to create an unsettling, but night-like tone.

I don't think Girls' Last Tour looks boring. It's just that after seeing Texhonlyze and Angel's Egg, I've gained higher expecations.
Dec 9, 2017 7:25 AM

Oct 2014
@TheHopefulOtaku

Sorry I don't quote. I don't want to pic spam.

1. You forgot to mention old-school vibe of Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. Or maybe you missed it.
2. The examples you've shown focus a lot on the unsettling part of the vibe that the directors of each respective show were conveying
Or so did you say in your post. Fairly speaking, I haven't watch the two shows you mentioned (I should get on with it, really.)
But from your examples and your explanation (and a bunch of previews and reviews of all three anime,) despite similarity in the plot, I see a clear difference of what each scene here is trying to deliver.
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou art focus of how to make their exploration as dull as possible, to serve as
The 3rd pic is about despair (and darkness, and loneliness.) Fear of going alone.
The 4th pic is more about death and fear. It's post-apocalyptic yeah, but (to me) it tried to convey more about "the feeling people felt when the apocalypse happened." (thus the red blood.)
The 5th pic... wait, it's unsettling? I don't get such vibe, actually. But what I get is also loneliness. (Bcs they're using long shot.)

Now, enjoyment is a matter of perspective, so you can like or dislike as much as you want.
But imo, the reason you don't get what you expected is bcs Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is trying to deliver a totally different vibe (despite similar plot and setting, maybe. I don't know I haven't watch the other two.)
Thus I feel the comparison is a bit unfair.

ps.: and actually, the genre MAL listed it under are different.
Dec 9, 2017 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
@Revvie-chan

1) I don't get it.
2) The only actual reason I brought up those other pics, was to show how they used more color and shading, instead of just having black backgrounds, like a majority of Girls' Last Tour has.
Whatever tone you try to convey doesn't matter, if it's boring to look at.
It's art; you can literally convey anything in an interesting way.
Dec 9, 2017 8:59 AM

Oct 2014
TheHopefulOtaku said:

1) I don't get it.
2) The only actual reason I brought up those other pics, was to show how they used more color and shading, instead of just having black backgrounds, like a majority of Girls' Last Tour has.

1. The ruins they're exploring are ruins of civilization that happened thousands of years before their own civilization (that got ruined by war, according to Chito's flashback.)
It's like they're looking at a photo album of the grandparents of their grandparents. Thus the old-school vibe I was talking about.
2. Yeah I know. But my argument was it was meant to be dull. So that all those philosophical talk will look like something that just randomly come out.
I believe in what they call "a direction" of a show. Visual is important, but isn't everything.
Dec 9, 2017 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
TheHopefulOtaku said:

1) I don't get it.

1. The ruins they're exploring are ruins of civilization that happened thousands of years before their own civilization (that got ruined by war, according to Chito's flashback.)
It's like they're looking at a photo album of the grandparents of their grandparents. Thus the old-school vibe I was talking about.
2. Yeah I know. But my argument was it was meant to be dull. So that all those philosophical talk will look like something that just randomly come out.
I believe in what they call "a direction" of a show. Visual is important, but isn't everything.

1) Okay. But while the tone trying to be conveyed is different to some degree, it is still post-apocalyptic looking.
2) I don't understand why you excuse how the show looks, "dull". The anime could've still easily conveyed the "old school" tone by using a mix of other colors (green, brown, blue) with use of actual shading
Dec 9, 2017 3:03 PM
Jun 2014
This was a great episode!!
the quote: Life is something that has an end. gived me a chill
Please stop calling it fan service, it isn t . it was a great way explaining the story about how the girls trough of the robot.
Dec 14, 2017 1:01 AM
Apr 2017
I was bored a few eps back, so I delayed for 2 weeks...
But I totally didn't expect to recall the reasons I love this show..
This ep is very good
Dec 16, 2017 8:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
We can consider that she found "life" with both machines!!!
Dec 20, 2017 6:32 AM

Apr 2015
Yuuki sure asks a lot of questions. "What's 'alive'? What's a life-form?" Maybe it'd be easier if Chito just taught her how to read.

"There are no living beings other than humans left on Earth." That's disappointing if true. What happened to all the animals (except for fish, who seem to still be alive)? I bet there are still other animals somewhere.

I'm really curious as to how long that machine had been there. Clearly it was developed during a time in which artificial intelligence had advanced enough to be able to imitate human behavior; unlike a lot of the A.I./chatbots of today, it made no awkward, obviously robotic errors. Sort of reminds me of the guide from Kemono Friends. It had the ability to call guards, except, y'know, none of them are still alive. If it wasn't for Chito, Yuuri would have been like "lol bet" and ate the fish.

The scene in the tank was the closest thing to "fanservice" the show has had so far, even though it's really nonsexual/barely even drawing the outline of their breasts.

"If you take a deep breath and relax, you will float." That is fake news, as someone who's almost drowned before.

It's pretty amazing that Yuuri suddenly started feeling empathy for the fish she so badly wanted to eat earlier. She managed to save it, even if the robot did sort of put a downer on things: "We're gonna die one day anyway."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 23, 2017 5:58 PM

Jan 2011
It was a bit sad when the giant robot died.
Dec 24, 2017 1:23 AM

Jan 2013
Good episode, surprisingly emotional robot death. Not too much more revealed about the world though.
Dec 27, 2017 3:15 PM

May 2012
Damn this episode was quite deep! Really amazing episode to be honest.
Jan 1, 2018 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
wow... I confess that this episode hit deep inside my kokoro.

And... this anime is being a wonderful surprise.

Jan 2, 2018 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
I knew that there is someone still alive in this world, even if they are robots. I was so happy when they saw him. Like we know that they met people already but i meant that i was always hoping that there are still people/robots alive.
Hope they will find a human colony in the end.
It was kinda sad watching that robot die and them leaving the robot and the fish.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 4, 2018 8:25 AM

Apr 2011
That those robots reminds me of the ones in Star Wars.

Quite a philosophical episode. I feel bad about the big one.
Jan 13, 2018 10:30 PM

Aug 2015
Getting Nier Automata flashbacks from the existential cutsie robots and the soundtrack
Jan 14, 2018 11:32 AM

Aug 2015
Aaaahh that episode was so good. I started crying :v
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 15, 2018 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
Glad that big robot didn't have a say in their plan...
Feb 19, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2011
Oh come on, now I'm all sad because of this episode :( The poor big robot did nothing wrong, just doing its job like the small robot :/ Though I guess it's okay to kill a "non-living" thing, to save the life of an animal, even if it is futile in the long run...
Feb 27, 2018 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
Wow! I think that here the climax has been reached regarding the profundity of philosophical thought hitherto exhibited in history. The narration is always rather melancholy, despite the many flashes of comedy.

The ineluctability of the life that is such where the end is.
Feb 27, 2018 9:13 PM
Dec 2017
This episode hit me hard.

empathy is a topic i didn't expect to be discussed in this anime, but they handled it so wonderfully. the fact there was no OP or ED really helps keep the tone, and i would be lying if i said i didn't tear up when i saw the big robot die. poor guy didn't deserve that...he was just doing his job.

also, ive noticed people saying the swimming scene was fanservice. i mean i didn't really see it that way, it was mostly just two girls having fun in a pool tbh.
Mar 2, 2018 6:04 AM

Mar 2015
Some really deep stuff here, and I'm not talking about the tanks!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 3, 2018 2:14 AM

Apr 2017
I'm surprised that the one scene that made me cry in this series was the giant robot exploding, I guess it's because of the small one and Chito talking about what is alive and what isn't. I'm glad the fish was okay, though. I love how each episode always ends on a philosophical note. The end impressed me but I don't think it left as big of an impression as the sound of rain scene did.

May just be me, but I don't think the pool scene was fanservice. It was still relevant to the plot.

5/5 episode.
GlowingAuraMar 3, 2018 2:22 AM
May 6, 2018 10:45 PM

Jan 2018
This bit just looks like something out of a game

A simple question has such complex meaning. And yet, Yuu provided a simple answer with a meaning that's equally complex.
Great episode as always!

May 8, 2018 8:39 PM
Feb 2018
W-Why the fuck is a fish making me cry...
May 20, 2018 8:16 PM

Dec 2017
Anyone know what track the song in the credits is for this episode

I'll keep wishing for a world where you can be happy.

Sep 26, 2018 2:19 AM

Jan 2016
RIP big robot ;_;

You were just doing your job
Nov 16, 2018 1:36 AM

Dec 2012
Girls' Last Tour started off somewhat reminiscent of Kino's Journey, but ultimately departed into its own adventure. This episode, however, really matches that initial spirit of the philosophical journey that I know & love. What I find particularly fascinating about Chi & Yuu is how because they have been so far removed from human civilization, their lack of common knowledge on various themes & ideas brings them to unorthodox conclusions. It's precisely what makes their perspectives so unique & fascinating to follow.
May 9, 2019 7:58 AM

Aug 2012
I've been really enjoying this series. Super chill though oddly quite tense at times too. The world is fascinating and the characters both likable (though Yuu can be alittle annoying at times).

I have to say this episode might be one of the best episodes of Anime I've ever seen. Really though provoking, tragic and beautiful all at once. Definitely the stand out episode of the series so far for me.
Jun 27, 2019 6:04 AM

Oct 2012
Looking at a fish without fins is really weird

Poor big guy :(

In a way I'm kinda scared that humanity will end up the same as this anime
Evolved too much and they break, will be destroyed and no reconstruction
"Signature removed"
Jan 11, 2020 5:55 PM
Jan 2014
Wonderful episode.
Jan 27, 2020 8:48 PM

Sep 2018
I feel sad for the big machine 😞
and at the end, they leave behind Automaton :(
Feb 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Sep 2017
Phew, didn't expect the episode to be this touching and powerful

I got huge NieR:Automata vibes throughout the entire episode, the OST at the end helped too (it was beautiful btw)
Apr 30, 2020 2:26 AM

Dec 2013
This episode made me feel so sentimental. But I never thought that Yuu will save the fish even if she wants yo eat it lol.

Yuu said something again that stuck on me

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 4, 2020 2:19 PM
Dec 2019
This episode was genius, it made me realize how great this show truly is, it was cool and cute before but with this episode it jumped to a whole other level in my liking.
May 15, 2020 11:24 PM

May 2015
What is life? what is...love? BABY DONT HURT ME! DONT HURT ME! NO MORE!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 3, 2020 5:27 AM

Jun 2020
how come episode 9 feel like the final episode already?
Best episode so far?
Nov 23, 2020 2:44 PM

Apr 2018
I really liked the message behind this episode, Although it was sad seeing the big machine being destroyed in order to save the small robot and his fish.
Dec 17, 2020 11:55 PM
Apr 2019
This episode really had me feeling sad for the big guy ;(
That makes me wonder about the next three episodes. Will it be as adventurous and wholesome as the previous episodes or will it take a dark turn?
I can't wait to find out, but I'm a little worried

#b9dbe1
;
PhiVidUDec 18, 2020 12:06 AM
Dec 18, 2020 12:22 AM
Apr 2019
cacatoes said:
W-Why the fuck is a fish making me cry...

That is empathy, my friend :)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2017

135 by Benassiesto »»
Aug 24, 12:56 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

239 by Code0018 »»
Aug 7, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

127 by Code0018 »»
Aug 6, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

131 by Code0018 »»
Jul 28, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

160 by Code0018 »»
Jul 26, 11:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.