3It was OK
1.1%
2Disliked it
0.3%
1Hated it
0.3%
Average 4.8
632 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 1, 2017 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode had some fan service but I'm okay with it. I mean, Yuuri had fun with swimming around :D
It's not everyday where they find water source in their world.

Good episode still. I like the little bits of details about their world that continues to explore what technology is capable of. Yuuri and Chito's character chemistry is still very entertaining to watch.
Dec 1, 2017 5:02 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
The episode was good. It could give us a better idea about their world. I wasn't expecting that developing at the end so it was a plus.

Dec 1, 2017 6:34 AM

Dec 2014
The robot at the start was spooky, this was actually the first working one we've seen so far. Like I thought the more the move up the more working techs they are finding. Wonder what's at the very top of the city.

Overall a nice ep explaining more things about their world, and Yuuri swimming.
Dec 1, 2017 7:15 AM
Nov 2016
"What does 'alive' mean?"
-Yuu,2k17
That was one deep question.
Some, err questionable scene were there(fanservice)

Had great music tho
Dec 1, 2017 7:22 AM

Apr 2016
With all the questions about life and living this show has, i was waiting for episode like this.

Also Skynet!!!
Dec 1, 2017 7:41 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy shit, what an amazing episode.

The definition of life, the sound effects, the music, everything was incredible.

Almost cried at the end.
Dec 1, 2017 7:58 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode.

Loved the overall theme of life, death and evolution that was brought out in this episode.
Felt sad that the big machine had to die. :(

The music was stellar, that insert song was beautiful.
Dec 1, 2017 8:15 AM
Jun 2017
The anime has been a wonderful adaption of the manga,episode nine just does so well.
Dec 1, 2017 8:33 AM

Jun 2015
That was one giant robot. Too bad it had to be destroyed to save the fish. The music was beautiful in this episode. I liked the overall theme about life and evolution.
Dec 1, 2017 8:45 AM

Feb 2017
really sad episode...

what did that big guy ever do to you?

Im aware he looks pretty intimidating cuz he's big an all but still,
for all we know he could be a totally peaceful guy.
he's just doing his job... it's exactly the same with the little guy who also doing his job taking care of the fish.

I really hate the fact that I don't know what exactly the little guy and the big guy were talking about.
I mean we never got to see the big guy say anything,, aside from the little guy said that the big guy will dismantle the whole facility.

Idont know it's just me but, I feel like the little guy manipulated yuu by using his communication skill with human for his own benefit.

I know it's not the same thing but what the little guy does really reminds me alot of an AI named Ava in Ex Machina movie. she used her less intimidating appearance and her perfect communication skill to Manipulate human.

well if it ain't true, perhaps its just "kill a few save a lot" troupe all over again.
yuu might be like emiya kiritsugu, who believes saving two lives by killing one life in the process is better than the other way around.
Lab_Rat_0978Dec 1, 2017 9:06 AM
Dec 1, 2017 9:25 AM

Dec 2015
Insert song is one of the best things about this show. Each episode unravels a mystery. Still wishing that some of the people are still alive out there.
Dec 1, 2017 9:33 AM

Sep 2013
AI machines can be considered alive in a sense.
More advanced stuff should be higher up but the earth should be better off too with no humans, nature fixes itself in time.
Dec 1, 2017 9:52 AM

Nov 2011
Why do I feel so sad...

When the episode started and there was no OP it kinda set the mood that this episode would be a melancholic one. Damn, what one fish and two robots can do with us.
The ending song was great too, it kinda felt like watching a short movie.
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 1, 2017 10:00 AM

Sep 2013
I don't why, but I had a feeling that small robot in the end will be killed but... no.
Dec 1, 2017 10:12 AM

May 2012
Hm... That was a very powerful episode. I really wish they will find some people still are living on the top of the city. The thought of them being one of the few survivors, roaming an empty world for the rest of their existance, always hoping to find another human being is just too sad.
Dec 1, 2017 11:04 AM
Mar 2015
Amazing discussion about empathy and what it means to be alive. Interesting that in the end they decided that being alive meant you had to have an end. Kind of sad
Dec 1, 2017 11:10 AM

Jul 2014
Another excellent episode, and an excellent discussion throughout on what it means to be alive, to have empathy, and so much more. Also lots of nice details from a worldbuilding perspective, so this episode definitely hit it out of the park (although that's very much become the norm for this show, at this point).
Dec 1, 2017 11:36 AM

Mar 2012
Whoever wrote this series really does well in portraying how even the tiniest of things can make u question your own existence and life. It really captures the feel of how everything is wonderful even the most simplistic of things.

It is a good show to recommend when one feels a bit lost and depressed. I would recommend it to a lot of people.

Dec 1, 2017 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
I find it unsettling that a couple people in this thread saw the swimming scene and considered that fanservice. Nudity doesn't automatically = fanservice, especially when the nude subjects are children.

Anyway, this was a really nice episode that raised some pretty deep questions. The meaning of life, empathy, etc. That's some pretty deep stuff for a couple of girls that are as young as our protagonists.

I also like how there was no OP this week, which really set the stage for the episode's overall tone, and no ED. Both of those songs would be way too happy and out of place for an episode like this.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 1, 2017 11:41 AM

Apr 2012
>robot walks up straight to them
>says hello
10/10 anime moment

Shame for the big guy though...
EratiKDec 1, 2017 1:48 PM
Dec 1, 2017 11:47 AM

May 2012
Great episode and really reminded me of Nier Automata.
This show goes philosophical, but this episode was so much more than the previous ones.
Also, more details on the current world?

PS: I though I started the first episode again.
beep
Dec 1, 2017 1:16 PM
Mar 2017
I find it unsettling that a couple people in this thread saw the swimming scene and considered that fanservice. Nudity doesn't automatically = fanservice, especially when the nude subjects are children.

I guess you're right, the fan service is ONLY to please the viewer and does not make sense with the narration / story.
But if a pedophile sees it, maybe for him it would be fanservice.
In my case if it is fanservice, they showed much being only a girl. It does not matter anyway. But it is a point less for people who want to see this anime with their family, it would be quite uncomfortable haha.

Fan service loli blonde blue eyes. At first I thought it was the arm, but it was just the bulk of those 2 apples. ok no, they are girls ...
Her breasts are big enough to live eating cans and other things, I guess she should not eat a lot of fat to make them that way, or should she?
Surely his mother's should be quite ejhm ...

PD: they destroyed a very large machine, prestige of ancient technology only by a fish that will live less than 5 years and can not reproduce
FireCrauterDec 1, 2017 1:20 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 1, 2017 1:30 PM

Jul 2015
Clear best episode so far, it did a nice job in expressing what it means empathy and the meaning of life.
Dec 1, 2017 1:37 PM
Feb 2014
Wow Yuu is ruthless. The way the big robot looked at Yuu when she was on top of it, I wouldn't be able to kill it if it. I was not prepared to feel sorry for a robot dying.

I was waiting for Yuu to say we can eat that fish now since it will die but she opted to save it.
Dec 1, 2017 1:40 PM

Feb 2014
I had a slight feeling that this episode would contain something powerful as it ditched the OP theme altogether.

This was the first time that both Chito and Yuuri had encountered a robot. One that was huge, similar to an AT-AT, while the smaller one was able to speak their language and communicated with them about the facility that they were in and what it was used for before the war.

I was amused when Yuuri jumped at the opportunity to swim in one of the swimming sections and was able to adapt to swimming and floating. Chito was hesitant at first, staying in her underwear in the presence of the robot, but she too adapted to swimming too. =)

However, the melancholic part of the episode kicked in as the big robot gate-crashed the peace and proceeded to dismantle the facility. To save the sole remaining fish from certain death, the girls successfully took down the giant robot with explosives. I was happy that they saved the fish, but at the same time, I was filled with sadness that they had to destroy a functioning robot who was only doing what it thought was the right thing to do. D=

The talk about the whole evolution of life and nature felt powerful too. It's probably one of those subjects that really makes you stop to think thoroughly just to find a decent enough answer to, if there is one.

To round off the episode fittingly, they played more sombre and sad music to replace the original upbeat ED theme for the episode, which captured the whole episode's feel perfectly. =)

Overall, I rate this episode as highly as last week's. From upbeat and happy to sadness and melancholic, the last two episodes have been excellent. =D
Dec 1, 2017 1:58 PM

Sep 2007
"What if a machine walked up to you and said 'Hello?'"
"That'll never happen"
Minutes later: "Hello"

[Yuu is evolving!]
[Yuu has learned 'Empathy']
Dec 1, 2017 2:03 PM

Sep 2016
I teared up bit after they destroyed the Big Robot-kun :(
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Dec 1, 2017 2:23 PM

Jan 2014
This episode has a certain feel to it. I felt the.. feels.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 1, 2017 3:39 PM

Sep 2011
Suddenly, Farnese from the 2016 anime version of Berserk came in to my mind.
Dec 1, 2017 3:56 PM

Nov 2015
As usual this was a beautiful episode. My one surprise was that, for the first time, we got some actual info about the world (not that it wasn't anything that we already didn't know or could deduce, but it's just never been a show to make much of anything explicit).

This episode did not contain fanservice. If you consider this to be fanservice then the scene in Totoro when the father and daughters all bathe together must practically be hentai. Nudity is not always inherently used for prurient reasons, as the last few millennia of art proves.
Dec 1, 2017 4:07 PM
Nov 2015
I honestly started the episode thinking "damn this won't be as good as last week's drunk combo".

Well I was wrong, great episode. ps all this talk about fan service when it was easy to avoid.
No offence if others dont but majority of the time when I look at yuu, I just look at that dumb expression on her face.
Dec 1, 2017 4:39 PM

Jan 2016
At the last scene after credit where the robot was fixing something, is that supposed to mean anything?

This is a very good episode. And about people says the fan service is nothing, for me, for such a good episode, it is a shame I can't promote this to my family or my friends, or it will be awkward....
HenshinDriftDec 1, 2017 4:42 PM
Dec 1, 2017 5:25 PM

Jul 2014
I hate fan service but the swimming scene didn't bother me at all because it felt natural, Yuu wasn't particularly sexualized. Fan service is bad when it's unnecessary and hinders the character's development but in this case, it made perfect sense to see Yuuri casually run around naked, why wouldn't she?
Dec 1, 2017 5:34 PM

Apr 2012
HenshinDrift said:
At the last scene after credit where the robot was fixing something, is that supposed to mean anything?
Yeah just after the big robot is put out of commisson, Yuu ask if the small one can fix the place, and it says all I can do is mend the tank leak, then Yuu says it's a useless robot. So you see him actually fixing the leak.
Dec 1, 2017 5:34 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, that was a fantastic episode. Yuu is always asking the deep questions. They really questioned what it means to be alive after encountering that robot, and it's Yuu who comes up with a simple and mostly correct answer of "somethings alive if it has an end." It kinda makes you feel bad for the big robot; it couldn't talk, but it was of similar intelligence as the small one. We also learn a good bit about what the world was like before.

No OP either this week, which kind of disappointed me tbh, it kinda makes sense given this episode.
Dec 1, 2017 5:56 PM

Apr 2016
Got some serious Nier:Automata vibes from this episode
Dec 1, 2017 6:00 PM

Jul 2015
How to get away with drawing uncovered boobs... just don't draw the nips. Anyway, guess we got our pool episode? BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT THIS EPISODE WAS DEEP AS THAT TANK YURI WAS SWIMMING IN. Definitely brought some good feels, I enjoyed it.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 1, 2017 6:32 PM

Aug 2015
No opening and a different ending really added to this thought provoking, sad episode. really amazing, looking forward to the next one
Dec 1, 2017 7:15 PM

Jan 2015
Already laugh at that "What if that robot come toward us and say Hello?" part. xD
Chi-chan in her underwear looks adorable. >_<
In the end they finally find the meaning and "completion" of life, which is death.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 1, 2017 7:31 PM

Aug 2015
Even without cutting the opening, you could tell this was a really special episode. The robot characters were the most interesting encounter so far, and the music and sfx were stellar. Though I think they need to answer more important questions than "what is life?" Like, "Why aren't more people watching this and why isn't its score higher?"
Dec 1, 2017 8:06 PM

Mar 2009
The Nier: Automata episode. Whoa. This episode was so good. Easily one of my favorites. Asked a lot of interesting questions like what it is to be a living being, and if the machines are what can be considered living beings. I felt bad for the big guy but at least they were able to save the fish.
Dec 1, 2017 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing soundtrack and the encounter with the robot remind me The Geth from Mass Effect trilogy.
Dec 1, 2017 8:55 PM

Dec 2014
ok I was not expecting robots so it was kinda fun to watch
Dec 1, 2017 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Those who see this as a fanservice should start to drink bleach routinely, it helps you to cleanse your mind.
Dec 1, 2017 9:10 PM

Apr 2016
As usual, another great episode.

I love how they discussed about being "alive" and the word "empathy", which was really executed very well in this episode.

Love the sound effects and the background music in this anime.

It was touching and sad at the same time, especially when they had to destroy the big robot in order to save the fish. :(

Their facial expressions when they first saw the big robot was gold. XD

Dec 1, 2017 9:11 PM

Oct 2014
... Goodbye, big robot-niichan
You lived believing in a purpose, and died doing that purpose. :'(

now this episode is how you pack nihilism into a sol anime.
everything on this episode are perfect.
Dec 1, 2017 9:22 PM

Aug 2015
Meta_Yoshi said:
One that was huge, similar to an AT-AT, while the smaller one was able to speak their language and communicated with them about the facility that they were in and what it was used for before the war.

Glad someone else made the AT-AT comparison. I was a little let down when Yuu didn't try to ride it.
Dec 1, 2017 11:02 PM

Jan 2011
when last girls tour suddenly becomes Neir ,the sound and music played a big role in this great episode

with that ominous ending my interest has peaked even more
Dec 1, 2017 11:27 PM
Jan 2015
I didn't expect to tear up when the robot was destroyed:(. Also this was one of my favorite episodes so far, very thought provoking
Dec 1, 2017 11:58 PM

May 2015
Apparently the tanks were being cleansed with dank weed. Then again, Chi seeing her life flashing before her eyes might have been used as an allegory or something.

"Life is something that has an end." 10/10 quote right here.

Battery life, shelf life...they have an end. So when games end, so does life...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

128 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 17, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2017

142 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 12, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

158 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 9, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Oct 2, 2017

254 by kyuubeesh »»
Apr 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

234 by davidyodo24 »»
Mar 29, 12:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.