Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 24, 2020 11:56 PM

Apr 2020
Great anime with a great satisfactory ending. Nearly cried when the opening song started playing and the last scene. So glad Kaburagi came back. My personal 2nd favorite anime of the year. Yes, even including sequels. My only complaint is the fact that it only had 12 episodes. This could've easily have been a 24 episode series. But regardless 8/10 for me!
Sep 25, 2020 1:12 AM
Oct 2012
Considering it is an original anime series, I really did enjoy it. You know, nowadays, most of the series green lit for animation has passed the popularity filter when they were released as manga or light novel, so it is harder for an original anime to be good because they aren't subjected to any filter to gauge acceptance before getting released.

Deca-dence passed my expectations with flying colors. There are tons of unanswered questions left up in the air, plenty of potential unused and plenty of lore unexplored, BUT, given this series had limited budget/time and was probably made only to show off the capabilities of this fairly new anime studio, I would say it was a success. Hope they're able to recover their investment.

Doubt it will ever get a second season because of the happy ending but I really hope more people get to watch Deca-Dence. I did enjoy it.
Sep 25, 2020 3:32 AM

Jan 2013
lostamxngstars said:

Really itching to see them be together on a date or smth or even Minato-- OH WAIT KABURAGI HAS TWO HANDS WHY THE HELL NOT

I'm content with OVAs as doing a whole season would probably feel like a waste at this point. There isn't even any huge threats seeing how they "updated" Deca-Dence xD

Yeah same fam, that would be great xD But i doubt DD will have OVAs...
Obviously no 2nd season, just some good OVAs would be nice. Since after that ending i doubt there are threats in their world, so no reason for 2s.
It was good while it lasted.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 25, 2020 3:41 AM
Mar 2019
AivanK said:
lostamxngstars said:

Really itching to see them be together on a date or smth or even Minato-- OH WAIT KABURAGI HAS TWO HANDS WHY THE HELL NOT

I'm content with OVAs as doing a whole season would probably feel like a waste at this point. There isn't even any huge threats seeing how they "updated" Deca-Dence xD

Yeah same fam, that would be great xD But i doubt DD will have OVAs...
Obviously no 2nd season, just some good OVAs would be nice. Since after that ending i doubt there are threats in their world, so no reason for 2s.
It was good while it lasted.

What can I say except since this is Studio Nut we're talking about, and the only other work they have so far is Youjo Senki which took time before the movie got released... *screams* I still carry a bag of hope for additional Deca-Dence content, though.
Sep 25, 2020 4:15 AM

Nov 2013
Very nice ending. Gonna miss Kaburagi and Natsume
Sep 25, 2020 5:08 AM

May 2009
Best anime of this summer
Sep 25, 2020 7:33 AM

Feb 2020
At first, this Anime was a total Mess!! In the first 3 episodes, I was like what the hell is going on. I was thinking to drop it back then!! I am glad I didn't!!

I really loved the plot!! Humans living with Cartoonish style Cyborgs. (at first, I thought they were just AI or something)
Usually, if anyone tries to make a story like this......People will say they are trying to copy AOT!!
But Deca-dence managed to show us something different!!

The ending of this Anime was great!!
Its a bit weird that everyone accepted that they were living with role-playing Cyborgs and that this whole world was a Game for them!!

Ashhk said:
well the final was great but kinda predictable...

May I ask what was predictable? Kabu will log in to Deca-Dence? or That the humans will live along with cyborgs? or that they will win?

I am not trying to be rude or something!! Just asking!!
Sep 25, 2020 8:32 AM

Jul 2017
Thx for this great 12 episode of journey Deca-Dence! gonna miss Kabu and Natsume from now on. this anime was a hidden GEM from this season.

Im not hatin' the ending that much. its just, yeah like everyone said, pretty underwhelming compared to rest of the series. the cliche and all of thing. I mean its a waste after all of the originality happens like how the world building, cyborg, gadoll, oxyone works, system-thingy and everything else. and they just ended it like that. still, a great anime for me.

i'll give it 8/10
Sep 25, 2020 8:53 AM

Dec 2016
That moment when you forget to ressurect you friend for 2 years straigth
heh.
Sep 25, 2020 8:59 AM

Apr 2018
Man another great series that ended. Overall I really enjoyed this anime because of the world-building around it and the story as well. It was quite an interesting story but I enjoyed it 8/10
Sep 25, 2020 10:37 AM

Dec 2018
Really looking foward to somehow a S2
Sep 25, 2020 11:08 AM

Jun 2017
Easiest AOTS of all time.

9/10 would've been 10 and probably in my favourites with more episodes.
Sep 25, 2020 4:01 PM

Jun 2019
BenDTU said:
Fun final episode but I really don't know how I feel about the series overall.

Felt like it had a 10/10 premise but with only 12 episodes it barely had time to scratch the surface of the world it created. Like it was fun, but it barely had time to breath with anything, most conflicts get resolved in no time at all, and I could easily think of like half a dozen things in the show I wish they'd fleshed out overall.

So... overall it's "Pretty good" I guess?

That was my issue as well. The premise has boundless potential and it could be a 9/10 or conceivably even a 10/10 if it had like 50 episodes or even 26...but 12. I feel like most of these 11 - 13 episode series feel much too rushed and only rarely is a series perfectly suited for that length. The 11 - 13 episode series which do it all and manage to not feel rushed in that timespan are really a rare breed. The exception are Slice of Life series. But anything with a strong narrative usually falters and feels weaker, less earned, and less dramatic from being condensed this much.
Sep 25, 2020 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
The 11 - 13 episode series which do it all and manage to not feel rushed in that timespan are really a rare breed.

Pretty much. It’s definitely possible to make a well paced series with only 12 episodes but here it felt like there was too much to get through in that time. It was like trying to crush Gurren Lagann into half as much time.
Sep 25, 2020 8:05 PM

Oct 2008
absolutely phenomenal final episode!
the OST is pure awesomeness!
and Adult Natsume is sure pretty HOT!
5/5!
8/10.

Sep 25, 2020 10:55 PM
Mar 2019
Bob-o-Dominador said:
That moment when you forget to ressurect you friend for 2 years straigth
Give them some slack, they had to manage new updates after all haha

I guess it was kinda like what happened to Donatello where they all thought he actually died, only to find out that, really, it was just his avatar who perished and he was still there.
Sep 26, 2020 12:05 AM

Jan 2013
decayedangels said:

What can I say except since this is Studio Nut we're talking about, and the only other work they have so far is Youjo Senki which took time before the movie got released... *screams* I still carry a bag of hope for additional Deca-Dence content, though.

Now that you're saying, just seen Youjo Senki movie a few days ago, it was pretty good! And i hope they are focusing on a 2s!
Yeah of course, hope is the last thing to die, especially for us xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 26, 2020 4:55 AM

Jun 2015
If anyone every asks me to describe the word wholesome, I will reference this episode. Such a journey we were led on and the end did not disappoint. Without a doubt one of the best shows this year.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 26, 2020 6:08 AM

Apr 2020
I am proud of myself that I trusted this series when the Summer season premiered back in July.
It started out like your post-apocalyptic universe yet turned out to something deeper and better.

Deca-Dence is not the best of the best series I watched. The ending episode did give me Darling in the Franxx reminiscence of that show's final scene, with the survivors thriving after it was said and done. And our main characters actually getting a reunion in the ending (u see the similarities?)

Yet for what the CGI and the power-of-friendship scenes was worth, Deca-Dence is one of the best series that came out this season. I put it in the same tier as golden shows like Fugou Keiji and Great Pretender

Sep 26, 2020 6:57 AM

May 2015
Kabu-dence, kabu-dence :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 26, 2020 6:11 PM
Feb 2014
What a happy ending. I wish there was more of a loss in term of life to embrace the stakes of what just occurred. But I'm happy everything turned out well. I odd that the robots and the humans were open to live together after it was the robots fault in a way the humans had to live such a terrible life creating the monsters. Over all a good anime. I was surprised it turned out that good. Solid 7/10.
Dokia
Sep 27, 2020 12:30 AM

Dec 2016
This was such a satisfying ending. Gonna miss them a lot.

In the beginning Natsume kinda felt bland to me but the character development they delivered in just 12 episodes, Natsume became so important.

Kabu activating as Kabu-dence and reorganizing the old parts was so cool. It became way faster than how it was when they activated it without connecting to the deca dence. When Kabu did the limiter release, from that point it became emotional. I teared up when Kabu was starting to break while saying “take care Natsume”

Was really looking forward to see Natsume's reaction after seeing Kabu's cyborg form but the timing was too sad. Wish Natsume saw the cyborg Kabu when it was working just fine.

So glad that Jill backed up Kabu's data so that they could rebuild him.

Natsume after the time skip is so cute. That reunion though, my sad watery eyes turned to happy watery eyes. I wish they at least showed them hugging, if they just showed that I would be satisfied enough for not wanting a sequel...I want a sequel Ova where we can see them working together after the reunion.

Everyone spitting after seeing Donathelo still alive was priceless XD

Overall I give it 8/10. That was very unique for an original anime. My favourite anime this season. Though it would have been nice if it had another 13th episode.

I want their cyborgs on Among Us XD
Sep 27, 2020 11:10 AM
Jan 2017
Got to say this a mediocre last episode. The main thing I was thinking was They really forgot the had a back-up for Kaburagi for 3 years, the guy how brought down the whole system and thought the giant monster by controlling the city fist thing.

And oh yea, the giant end monster. It really feels like they didn't think of a great ending and the light was at the end of the tunnel and had to have something.

Other than that I thought Natsume was going to be the main character but she really took a back set as the show went on, which I find a bit miss leading.
Sep 27, 2020 6:15 PM

Mar 2009
bastek66 said:

This is fucking great. And fitting. The Gurren Lagann vibes were strong from the beginning.

The ending may have wrapped up a little too neatly, but it was still my favorite show of the season and one of my favorites of the year. Not a single bad episode. I'll miss Natsume and Kaburagi.

And Natsume with long hair is so pretty!
Sep 27, 2020 6:57 PM

Mar 2015
Enjoyed it but I couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that I've seen this before so many times.
Sep 28, 2020 10:05 AM

Aug 2018
Good show, kind of ''out there'' but definitely original, nice ending, hottest character of the year (Kurenai). I liked it!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Sep 28, 2020 3:45 PM

Nov 2019
*applaud loudly*
nice.........

see you Deca Dence crew
Sep 28, 2020 3:50 PM

Nov 2019
Mormegil said:
bastek66 said:

This is fucking great. And fitting. The Gurren Lagann vibes were strong from the beginning.

The ending may have wrapped up a little too neatly, but it was still my favorite show of the season and one of my favorites of the year. Not a single bad episode. I'll miss Natsume and Kaburagi.

And Natsume with long hair is so pretty!

i have got to agree, it was pretty nice. the ending was just fitting and touching
Sep 30, 2020 6:21 AM

Mar 2011
Was rather disappointing in the end for me.

It had a very weird but interesting premise but like most shows like this it really never flushes out the world well enough for me the get a grasp on it. It was very confusing for most of the show. It honestly became the biggest drag to watch but I pushed through and it was satisfying enough.

Ending was predictable but nice.

"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Sep 30, 2020 5:15 PM

Apr 2015
A fairly unique setting but in essence a rather traditional 'hot-blooded' plot.

Really nice action and the SD characters were extremely bold visually.

Jill and a few other characters weren't presented that well and were used as plot points too much, almost a deus ex machina. The final boss monster was a bit random too.

6/10 maybe. Still very much watchable.
Oct 2, 2020 8:06 AM
Sep 2018
I was going to rate it 7/10 at MAL.

THEN final episode came,

For God level CG: last episode was-

15/10

Now I am giving it 10 at mal only because of consistent cg which was just enjoyment for my eyes... Loved it man
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Oct 2, 2020 1:21 PM

Feb 2014
I felt that this ending was, despite it being a bit safe, very well executed and thrilling. =)

I'm still a sucker for final battles where the main OP song plays, and Deca-Cence did that trope really well, with some hype moments and some nice animation, too. The time skip was nice, though, where the cyborgs now happily play and help out with the tankers with the new Deca-Dence setting.

Of course, the new look that Natsume has is pretty. Thanks to Jill remembering about the time she tinkered with Kaburagi, it made for a good final scene with Kaburagi walking towards Natsume from the distance, and seeing her reaction to him appearing.

Overall, I'll give this show an 8/10. It played a very ambitious move with episode 2 and I think it paid off nicely. A bit cliched at times, but it was those cliches that was done well and it always kept me hooked. ^_^
Oct 2, 2020 11:42 PM

Jan 2019
Woah I’m surprised that they were able to make a wonderland in only 3 years. Love seeing the new and improved Deca-Dence town too. Why the fuck do they gotta tease us at the end tho
Oct 3, 2020 8:32 AM
Jun 2015
I'm happy that we got a good ending 8/10 for me ;)
Oct 4, 2020 6:11 AM

Nov 2016
Here we go again!

Felt like a lot of potential was wasted with the duration of only 12 episodes. It was an entertaining watch and things ended on a satisfying note, but in the end it was nothing that blew you away. Despite the unique setting and interesting themes, which is a shame.

My post seems to be more on the negative side, even tho I still took a lot of enjoyment out of this series and who knows, maybe I'm gonna go for a rewatch where I'm trying to focus even more on the aspects it pulled off well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2020 12:39 PM

May 2012
Quite an interesting concept and well executed, however I did feel like I was watching a lot of other anime just thrown into a single poth and stirred through to mix it up.

So while in general it was certainly not bad it also didn't left much of itself as an impression behind in my honest opinion.
Oct 9, 2020 2:17 PM
Apr 2020
1) I guess that is just personal preference. Since I think you are talking about the last fight, they could have just made it so that at 100% power with kabu's sacrifice decadence would win with the tension being with Kabu accepting that he will die. But the anime made it have more hype and less sappy, which many people will enjoy more.

2) They dont get permission for more than 13 as an anime original might be a complete failure monetary wise. So the creators try to tell their story in the time they have. Its a business after all

3) I am sound - blind. OST dont matter to me. If you think they are important, more power to you.

4) I think bug for humans has to do with knowledge. If they know too much... everyone knows the Star Wars meme.

5) I guess it has to do with the robot-human percentage. 99% Robo and you are cyborg. Its a very different world from ours - definitions change.

Its hilarious that I am "Defending" the show and also gave it a 7. These are just my thoughts though. Take with with a spoonfull of salt.
Oct 10, 2020 4:04 PM

Jun 2020
I'm really glad I didn't drop this show. I was about to call it quits around episode 3-4. Overall it was pretty original, and I did end up enjoying the show. I wish the cyborgs were a little more "mature" looking, as the cartoonish look really put me off, but I think it ended up working. The main characters were very likable, and their father/daughter chemistry was great, and like others, I would've liked for this to be a 24 episode show. I wish we could have seen Natsume and Kagu reunion, but such is life. I'd really like to know more about the 3 other zones that the Earth is broken up into. Maybe we'll get a second season or a OVA one day. I gave it a 7/10.

Oct 12, 2020 8:50 AM

Mar 2013
I would love to see an OVA or a movie that shows us the transition from the show to the time jump.

The human realization they were pawns in a game, the politics of overcoming that to the peaceful nature they had then, the world development. It has such potential.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 17, 2020 10:53 PM

Feb 2010
i really like this episode even made the system actually make sense. in the end it's just doing what it was programmed to do.

even at the end it relented begrudgingly and let him have control.

i also like the whole no matter how hard you try to control nature nature finds a way out on it's own.

Kayle_x_Morgana said:
not sure why this is so lowly rated. an original anime and good ending.

Also why the fuck are people saying the ending is bad? LMFAO fuck off.

holy shit can't believe some one made me agree with kayle.

GrimAtramentOct 17, 2020 11:03 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 19, 2020 11:12 PM

Aug 2017
"Deca-dence is now Kabu-dence" LMAO

The final battle was pretty good while the ending was quite curious. Kabu really died and I admire that. Saldly, the ending is rushed. Apparently, humans know the truth now but there is no war, conflicts or even a mention of it, they were enslaved in a 'game' and killed by monsters while the cyborgs are happy living with them. And, for some reason, Jill forgot that she kept a backup of Kabu for 3 years, how can that be? By the way, having a copy of him seems disrespectful to Kabu's sacrifice! It kinda ruined the last scene so much that I feel bad for a character that I never liked -Natsume- since she's living a lie!

In general, Deca-Dence is an very average show. Already with a general vision of this anime, I still maintain my position that the plot twist of the second episode is completely unnecessary and destroys the immersion, in the second half they managed to use it to their advantage in a good way and I liked how they tried to create a battle between the rebels vs the system. Unfortunately, the anime decided to abandon that conflict mostly for a generic monster as the final boss instead of impressing me with more twists, the only thing that remained of that was the ending where the system reveals that it adapts to the present situation, beyond that, the series does not have a coherent tone, it does not know if it is a serious plot or it is absurd. If they are going to be absurd, please don't portray deaths and human dying as terrible if they are going to troll me in the end. The characters are fine except for Natsume and the humans born there, they are quite forgettable and generic and I just don't rate this anime lower since it stopped focusing on them in the second half. Anime should be longer too. I also appreciate that it's not terrible like other supposedly underrated anime like Kanata no Astra. I don't understand so much praise either.

The world must be rid of bugs! 5/10 for the anime.

@deadoptimist I agree, the ending is disappointing!
NurguburuOct 20, 2020 12:08 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 21, 2020 2:29 PM
Jun 2013
natsume carried the whole show on her shoulders for me. every shortcoming of the show i can over look because she's so wonderful and charismatic every time she's on screen. rarely in a show where someone saves another's life by being inspirational do I as an audience member feel inspired too, but in this case I really felt it and came to love and care about her as a character. I cried when it was over just because it was the end and there probably wont ever be anymore of her or the show.
Oct 21, 2020 10:34 PM

Aug 2014
I saw a windshield symbolism.
Nov 3, 2020 5:57 AM
Mar 2012
nice a classic happy end.
I like the unique premise, a reversed AI/VR with callbacks to matrix/gits. For 1 cour, large worldbuilding, plot stayed rather safe, but well paced. Often a short original goes too ambitious & rush into a mess, glad Nut knows good pacing.
And esp Natsume and Kaburagi had moments of great directing & strong characterization, unfortunately the sides were quite weak. Most tankers were as horrible as cattle in the AOT sense. Save gears Jill and Sark were top level funky & useful.
Nov 5, 2020 11:45 AM

Jun 2013
The show was very interesting overall. I like the post-apocalyptic setting and also the the concept of cyborgs(even though they look silly) and their fabricated reality. The characters were also likeable and funny. I think the ending felt a bit rushed.
Nov 5, 2020 3:58 PM
Jan 2018
Great anime, it was definitely different, I really enjoyed it. A good 12 episodes, fresh and original, I didn't expect it to go in this direction at all. Recommended.
Nov 7, 2020 4:36 PM
Feb 2019
Wow. What a series. It's rated a criminal 7.56. WTF. This is easily the most original sci-fi anime I have seen in years. Super underated. I definately got way more Gurren Lagann and Matrix vibes then Attack on Titan, so IDK what people are talking about there. Regardless, the whole series was excellent. Loved the characters. Terrific finale. Favorite show of 2020 for me so far.
Nov 10, 2020 5:08 AM

Mar 2018
Decent anime. A decent even if somewhat predictable ending. The show didn't properly flesh out the world building aspect. The characters and their relationships were a bit flimsy and not explored nearly enough. The action scenes were quite good although the choreography was lacking somewhat. The art is really nice and unique enough from other typical shows. The animation was really good especially during the first and last episodes. The voice acting and music were typical anime fare, that is decent enough.

Overall, this show is a solid 7/10.
This anime could've easily made up for its shortcomings has it gotten more episodes. 12 episodes were not enough. Atleast, this show had an ending. Not many anime have claim to that title as sad that is.
Nov 10, 2020 5:11 AM

Mar 2018
shoover188 said:
Wow. What a series. It's rated a criminal 7.56. WTF. This is easily the most original sci-fi anime I have seen in years. Super underated. I definately got way more Gurren Lagann and Matrix vibes then Attack on Titan, so IDK what people are talking about there. Regardless, the whole series was excellent. Loved the characters. Terrific finale. Favorite show of 2020 for me so far.

Exactly. First thing that popped into my mind while watching this was Gurren Lagann. Never thought of Attack on titan while watching this.
Nov 20, 2020 11:34 PM

Sep 2013
This is no doubt one of the most ambitious animes of this year. It has many interesting ideas that impressed me.

However, it would be 100 times better if the show was executed with a more serious tone. I don't think there is a need for comic relief in a show with post-apocalyptic setting like this.

Even so, it was at least trying something more different than others in seasonal anime, which is a good thing.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 22, 2020

141 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.