Forum Settings
Forums

Real tv shows and movies that are better than your favorite anime.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 17, 2020 2:09 PM

Aug 2020
Mr. Robot is probably the best TV-series I've watched out of the bare minimum of the western tv-shows I've watched and probably better than any Anime and also Black Mirror but Monster Anime is definitely up there. I usually put both Monster and Mr. Robot at the top.

As for movies, well they're definitely way superior to Anime movies in general from what I've seen
Sep 17, 2020 2:16 PM

Nov 2015
i haven't seen much memorable live action stuff but the movies that i like AS MUCH AS my favorite anime are the first two Jurassic Park movies, The Breakfast Club, Léon: The Professional, and Taxi Driver. wasn't going to at first but i'll add The Land Before Time and Watership Down since previous replies include animation

edit: forgot to add Mr. Bean
and i guess

that i just don't know
Sep 17, 2020 2:24 PM
Aug 2020
Band of Brothers is my favorite TV show; Mushishi my favorite anime. I consider both to share the highest achievable tier of fiction. Tough to say which is better, especially considering how exceptionally different they are.

SoftImpaler said:
And those shows that are so popular and praised by so many are made to appeal to the lower common denominator. If scores are so inconsiquential then why would you bring up Matsumoto's work averaging at a 7? A anime's score does not reflect quality which is probably why so many popular shows with high scores end up being incredibly insipid.

Your taste seems to deviate from the collective opinion of the community. That still doesn't mean that "scores don't mean anything" or that they are not an indicator of quality. Shows that are highly regarded tend to have a larger target audience, and thus correspond a higher probability of someone enjoying it. The opposite goes for shows with a low score. That doesn't necessarily mean they are worse, but less people will perceive them as good.

Sep 17, 2020 2:27 PM
๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Jan 2020
WatchTillTandava said:

1.) Braveheart
2.) Gone With the Wind
3.) The Last Samurai
4.) Blood Diamond
5.) Lolita (1997 Lyne iteration)
6.) Rosemary's Baby
7.) Aladdin (original '92)
8.) Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
9.) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
10.) Heavenly Creatures

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? is an absolute masterpiece. One of my favourite films. You don't really hear people talk about it much. Have you seen Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte - it's in a similar vein as Baby Jane, well worth a watch. Gone with the Wind is amazing too.

On Topic: I really don't know about TV shows because it's too difficult to compare I think for some reason but when it comes to movies, I'd say that my favourite anime movie - Howl's Moving Castle - would almost get into my top five movies probably in seventh place after Amelie, Kill Bill, Rebecca, The Opposite of Sex, Hobson's Choice and Vertigo. I dunno - there's loads of live action films I love, so it's pretty hard to rank them but on the whole I'd say anime movies do fall short of live action films for me.

๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ . ้˜ฟ่‰ฏใ€…ๆœจ ๆšฆ, ๅ‚ท ็‰ฉ ่ชž . ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Sep 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Jan 2020
Only Monogatari makes it in my top 10 tv shows with Mad Men being my favorite. I’d have to think about it, but it’s probably 5th. Though, I’m not 100% sure if it’d make it if I were to include my favorite movies too.
Sep 17, 2020 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
iCarly, jk, only anime can beat anime in my opinion
Sep 17, 2020 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
The 70s The Incredible Hulk is the best slice of life/superhero series I've seen
Sep 17, 2020 9:52 PM

Apr 2019
I think most TV shows I have seen are almost on par with anime shows but if I have to pick one I will say Dark,Chernobyl and Breaking bad were pretty fucking amazing.I think most american TV series peak in the first season and are on a constant decline after that (cough Stranger Things,13 Reasons Why cough) whereas anime usually peak during the second or third season of the series(eg:-Mob Psycho 100,Monogatari,AOT,etc).
Live action movies are in my opinion a lot better than anime movies though.Like my favorite anime movie is Wolf Children and I don't think it will even be in my top 30 movies of all time. Live action movies are way more diverse,experimental and original than anime movies in my opinion.
Sep 17, 2020 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
none. i don't watch real tv or movies.
Sep 17, 2020 10:16 PM

Sep 2017
Don't know if Big Bang Theory can beat Steins;Gate but it was a comedy gold that actually made me laugh
ุฎ
Sep 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Jul 2019
I am not that sure but Parks & Recreation is a banger with the best character in fiction; Ron Swanson. Also Modern Family is fun as heck. I have binged both of these shows faster than any anime. Most of these have above 20 episodes per season yet I can binge 1 season per day while with anime I can't.
Sep 17, 2020 10:38 PM

Jun 2020
Sherlock, Chernobyl to mention a few. Plus damn The Boys is pretty good too.
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 17, 2020 11:28 PM
Jun 2020
Serafos said:
TV shows:
- The X-Files - seasons 1-5
- The Simpsons - seasons 2-8
- Star Trek: The Next Generation

Movies:
- Robocop
- LOTR
- Terminator 2
- Interview with the Vampire
- The Crow
- The Exorcist
- Star Wars (episode 4-6)

Not better but as goog as some of the best anime.

Man i was just about to comment on the X-files. Probably one of the best written shows ever made.
Sep 17, 2020 11:42 PM

Jun 2020
Nothing can beat anime, there, you have your answer.

I said keep your hands on the table
Sep 17, 2020 11:46 PM

Oct 2010
Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Love Exposure
Seinfeld
Doctor Who, but only till David Tennant is replaced, the dr before him was cool too.

These are a perfect 10, not better but not worse than my fav anime
CatalanoSep 17, 2020 11:54 PM
Sep 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Jul 2020
There are only a handful of animes that can be compared to movies like Arrival, prestige, django unchained, godfather, etc. I don't mean to say that anime is some 2nd grade entertainment but if we're to make a list of top 10 media that I've seen then I think that atmost only one anime will be able to make the cut. I mean incredible voice acting is a talent but it's still no match for the likes of Brando, nicholson, day-lewis, etc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2020 12:10 AM
Apr 2020
No not really. Maybe thats because I am not well versed in TV series. Stranger things was good. Breaking bad was good. Not really defeating my favorite anime. I like this show called Sultan Suleiman, that was good. If we count Avatar as a Tv Show and not an anime, then its also great
Bojack Horseman was surprisingly good.

As for movies, my favorite anime is a movie - A Silent Voice. But I do like My Name is Khan more.

Mulan, Seven, The Dark Knight, Kal Ho na Ho, Cell number 7 are all really good movies as well. Into the Spider verse is good.
But I think I like each anime in my top 5 more than these.
ReeredSep 18, 2020 12:18 AM
Sep 18, 2020 12:13 AM

Jan 2020
The Harry Potter movies and Detective Conan are both equal, They reached a status where It's hard to convey how much I like them so comparing is near impossible to me.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 18, 2020 12:23 AM

Jan 2020
Cory in the House and Shrek. These 2 are the greatest pieces of media to ever be found in the universe.
Sep 18, 2020 2:25 AM

Jun 2020
no not really but forrest gump and the shawshank redemption do get somewhat close

as for tv series i havent see anything above a 6 so not even close

but s;g angel beats and the monogatari series are still way better

I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are.

Sep 18, 2020 2:45 AM

Jan 2016
The only tv show that comes close is The Walking Dead, but I wouldn't put in my top 10 if I had a mixed tv show list.
Sep 18, 2020 2:51 AM

Sep 2016
anime is just another mode of story telling the competitive nature of the industry does tend to push high and low quality works out faster that the less competitive spaces of almost every other country. Many of Kubricks works to me are below or on par with some of my favorite series but anime just tries so much more that It has the rest of us beat just by the way that it is created.
Sep 18, 2020 3:15 AM
Dec 2013
My favourite film of all time is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which is live-action. I like it more than my favourite anime film, Perfect Blue.

My favourite live-action TV shows are Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Oz, and maybe Prison Break too. But I like HxH and 6 more anime more than them. I like HxH to the point that I own all the manga volumes of it, but I don't even own all the seasons of my fav live-action TV shows, and even then I don't think I'd rewatch them for a long time. I also don't think any Western cartoons I've seen (both TV series and movies) are anywhere near as amazing as my fav anime.
wildhoodOct 1, 2020 4:22 AM
Sep 18, 2020 6:45 AM
Mar 2019
Interstellar and Inception beats pretty much all of my favorites. I liked Ender's Game too but I guess I liked the novel more than the movie and I'd rate the movie just a little lower against my top favorites in anime.
Sep 18, 2020 7:19 AM
May 2009
Problem with live action is alot of the time is I don't tend to rewatch it. Especially for shows that are serious and have little humour.
I can rewatch sitcoms, they are similar to my slice of life comedies but longer, way longer. But I don't ever feel the need to.
Sep 18, 2020 7:23 AM
May 2020
end game was good but I say as much as my fav anime
Sep 18, 2020 7:28 AM

Feb 2019
idk about better, but Harry Potter would be in the 10/10 range.
Sep 18, 2020 7:35 AM

Oct 2016
Not really into TV shows but I used to a lot before in the past.
Otherwise, I like to watch "Lady Bug" & "The Simpsons" sometimes. "South Park" is my favourite one. :)
Marvel's movies and sci-fi are good for me too.
DeirdruSep 18, 2020 7:41 AM
Sep 18, 2020 7:45 AM

Dec 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin is definitely my favorite audiovisual product of all time, but if I have to give some mentions of my favorite movies, Spider-Man 2, Inception and Blade Runner 2049 would be in it.

I don't watch a lot of Tv series, and the only one that had a chance of being a masterpiece, Game of Thrones, turn out to be extremely disappointing.
Sep 18, 2020 7:53 AM

Aug 2018
SoftImpaler said:
It's all subjective, you have hardly even scratched the surface of anime, based on your watched list its no wonder you think live action is better.

Go watch some Leiji Matsumoto then come back with a more informed opinion.
I agree with this dude about LotR being better than most animes. It is my favorite too despite watching quite a bit of anime. I actually can't complain about anything about those movies (I can complain about the hobbit tho, that is why I said only LotR).
Sep 18, 2020 8:18 AM

Feb 2016
there are 2 korean drama that I like more than my fav anime
- Marriage, not dating
- The Boy next door
Sep 18, 2020 10:45 AM

Aug 2018
A Live action better than anime? Preposterous! What utter hogwash, can’t believe someone would even suggest such a thing, even if you meant it as a joke, some jokes are simply going too far. The answer is no, peh!
Sep 18, 2020 2:45 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
The best live action I've seen is like a 6/10

SoftImpaler said:
ReegrezSNK said:

Ratings mean what they mean, there are no such thing as overrated. Rating its just average score gave by every person who watched some show. I guess if you are anime creator you want your show to be praise and watched by biggest amount of people. But I gonna watch it cuz I need to drop this dumb Jojo with washed my brain after 15 episodes and sweap to something else.

And those shows that are so popular and praised by so many are made to appeal to the lower common denominator. If scores are so inconsiquential then why would you bring up Matsumoto's work averaging at a 7? A anime's score does not reflect quality which is probably why so many popular shows with high scores end up being incredibly insipid.
truer word have never been spoken
Sep 18, 2020 2:57 PM

Oct 2013
I'd consider my favorite comedy series and movies far funnier than most comedy anime I've seen. That's not saying much since comedy is extremely subjective though.

I'd also consider some of my favorite cartoons leagues above most of the anime I've seen. But again, that's not that big of a surprise. Considering the fact I've seen much more anime than any other animated media, there's bound to be more mediocre series in comparison.
FanofActionSep 18, 2020 3:04 PM
Sep 18, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Like... I love JoJo/Gintama. I love 12 Angry Men. I love Battlestar Galactica.
But I simply cannot compare anime to movies to TV shows. Hell, I can't even compare anime movies to anime shows, they're just different experiences.
Sep 18, 2020 3:54 PM

Jun 2020
I love Black Mirror, Love Death & Robots, and Christopher Nolan movies
Sep 18, 2020 7:56 PM

Sep 2018
I can’t say without being biased, since I love animation a majority of what I consume is animated, but I kind of think comparing the two is apples to oranges. Live action and animation excel at different things, the only even battlefield they play on is if they have a good plot. Which both can achieve

can’t think of a lot of live action tv shows I like since I don’t watch many. I like breaking bad and Kamen rider though. Really liked the first season of Stranger Things but the rest kinda sucks imo.
I could list a lot of live action films I like, since I do watch more of those.
Clerks/Mallrats/Dogma (Huge Kevin Smith fan here, lmao)
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future
Gummo
Uhhh there’s a ton I’m probably forgetting but point is they’re not that different other than medium wise if you look at it closely
returntothenhkSep 18, 2020 8:07 PM
Sep 18, 2020 8:05 PM
Jun 2020
My opinion is MCU movies are better than some of my favorite animes
Sep 18, 2020 9:47 PM
Mar 2019
thiago52192 said:
I don't watch a lot of Tv series, and the only one that had a chance of being a masterpiece, Game of Thrones, turn out to be extremely disappointing.

ON POINT. It's better to wait for the novels, if GRRM finally finishes one of them.
Sep 18, 2020 10:05 PM

Oct 2016
Well, from what I watched so far:

-Synecdoche, New York
-Network
-Das Boot
-Paths of Glory
-Blade Runner

And a bunch of other manga and anime are also better.
Sep 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Feb 2019
Movies:
- Schindler's List (1993)
- Fight Club (1999)
- Interstellar (2014)
- American History X (1998)
- Oldboy (2003)
- The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

TV Series:
- Breaking Bad
- Game of Thrones
- Chernobyl
- True Detective (1st season)
Sep 19, 2020 2:17 AM

Jun 2019
SoftImpaler said:
It's all subjective, you have hardly even scratched the surface of anime, based on your watched list its no wonder you think live action is better.

After reading your post the other day I looked up Leiji Matsumoto's work and ending up adding Space Pirate Captain Herlock to my ptw list, as it looks intriguing. Just noticed looking at your profile that Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey is in your favourites.
Sep 19, 2020 2:41 AM

Aug 2020
23feanor said:
SoftImpaler said:

After reading your post the other day I looked up Leiji Matsumoto's work and ending up adding Space Pirate Captain Herlock to my ptw list, as it looks intriguing. Just noticed looking at your profile that Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey is in your favourites.

The original 1978 Harlock is just OK because he is basically vintage Kirito in space. Eventually it started to drag on because of the predictable monster of the week formula. It is still plenty watchable and you may still enjoy it.

I have Endless Odyssey in my favorites rather than the originals because IMO it's hard to get any cooler than a space pirate battling Lovecraftian evil.

Also, nice Senpai pic.
Sep 19, 2020 2:59 AM

Dec 2017
Real tv shows and movies can't replace my favourite anime but from the ones I have watched, the maze runner (if the movies were done right cuz the novels are a lot better) and sacred games (a web series) comes really close.
โKabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.โž
I was immensely devastated.
Sep 19, 2020 4:18 AM

Jul 2017
Those are close :

- The Office
- Breaking Bad
- Vikings
- True Detective
- Fargo
- Dark
- Money Heist
- You

Sep 19, 2020 7:17 AM
Aug 2018
TV shows and films are great and all, but they will never be better than my anime favourites.
Sep 19, 2020 8:43 AM

Feb 2019
Well, I've never been able to indulge myself into those kinds of shows to express favour to them over anime. But some are good.
Sep 19, 2020 11:35 AM

Aug 2018
Interstellar, Money Heist, The Shawshank Redemption, Vikings, Game of Thrones, Joker, The Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, Prison Break, Lost, Inception, Breaking Bad, Black Mirror, Mindhunter, Jurassic Park, The Intouchables to name a few...

Enjoyed them as much as many of my favorite anime
Sep 19, 2020 3:04 PM

Jun 2019
horridhendy said:
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? is an absolute masterpiece. One of my favourite films. You don't really hear people talk about it much. Have you seen Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte - it's in a similar vein as Baby Jane, well worth a watch. Gone with the Wind is amazing too.

Extremely underrated and lesser known nowadays, and that's probably true as a general rule for so many 60s era films. It's treated as a camp horror, which I can also see, but to me it's a perfect combination of two of my favorite genres - a thriller and a drama, and particularly a familial drama at that. I just love Bette Davis' both earlier and later work and there is something about the film which is just aesthetically pleasing to me, perhaps somewhat ironically as I think a lot of it is supposed to be and is to many other people off-putting/unsightly.

I grew up on stories of my grandmother taking my mother and uncle to see it upon release in the movie theatre and her loving it while they were visibly rattled and despondent. And then her showing it to me as one of my first "scary" films at 10 years-old. I actually attribute that viewing experience to the genesis of what was my early obsessive interest in the thriller genre, horror, heavy drama, and older and more obscure films, since it drove me to doggedly seek out and consume a lot of them for the next few years especially as it was different from anything I had seen up to that point.

And oh yes, I agree on Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte. I have. Another Aldrich classic and one I saw early into poring through his and Hitchcock's filmography. Although I haven't revisited it in quite a number of years, but funnily enough thought of it recently a few months back when Olivia de Havilland passed (also speaking of Gone with the Wind).

Sep 19, 2020 3:12 PM
Aug 2019
well, my favorite movies are army of darkness and dead alive which I haven't seen any anime like them at all. so when it comes to those silly gory horror slapstick movies live action is better.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Happy Yuri Day

henmwats - 4 hours ago

26 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» What do you love most about your waifu or husbando ?

tchitchouan - Jun 20

19 by Stomiks »»
17 minutes ago

» Terminator: The Anime Series | Official Announcement

deg - Nov 11, 2023

44 by Johan »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime carried by Animation

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

15 by Guilmon1 »»
20 minutes ago

» Which anime were actually better than their source material?

BadGuyBoog - Yesterday

15 by jhzs0029 »»
21 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.