Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 14, 2019 11:07 AM

Jul 2012
I'd say yes. I'm watching a lot of the better shows this season (minus the LN high school crap). I couldn't watch Vinland, it bored me too much but I'm trying to get into it.

I am really biased to space and sci-fi genre though.

Fire Force is good too but it doesn't leave me hanging like Astra. Astra has the most potential out of these shows despite already being REALLY GOOD.
Aug 14, 2019 11:50 AM

Jun 2015
Not even close. It's so bad on so many levels.
Aug 14, 2019 12:01 PM

Mar 2018
I would say yes, but that's just my personal enjoyment for this anime and there are several other anime out there which are better. The pacing is a little off, but still enjoyable and not really hard to follow.
That and I love the style and direction Lerche as a company is heading. But that's my personal taste.

However, may I praise this anime for not putting the OP in every episode and use those 1.5 minutes for the runtime/anime itself? Some other anime do the same, but Astra is one of the lucky few that does this and good god, I love the Opening.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Aug 14, 2019 12:26 PM

Aug 2016
Currently I put it within my top 5 of the season.
If they get the 2nd half right, then yes it has that potential, because the best is yet to come.
Then again, I don't know what is yet to come from Vinland Saga, Maidens of the Savage Season & Given, so we will have to wait and see.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Aug 14, 2019 12:29 PM
Apr 2019
Listen Kimetsu no Yaiba is the #1 ongoing series right now no debate. Actually Idk there are many good series right now, including Kanata no astra.
Aug 14, 2019 12:42 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
SilverAceX said:
Listen Kimetsu no Yaiba is the #1 ongoing series right now no debate. Actually Idk there are many good series right now, including Kanata no astra.

Nope, it's Vinland Saga. There is debate.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 14, 2019 12:45 PM

Mar 2010
I had great expectations for this anime. But the whining Quitterie, stupid singer story / girl, utterly stupid beach/paradis episode, everything being conveniently there for them has made me 4/10 this show. The 7th episode kind of raised questions so i am seeing if it will get better, but mostly this series has been a let down.
Aug 14, 2019 12:50 PM

Nov 2014
I'd told you be careful that AoT rabd fanbase doesn't hear you, but then I remenbered there's no AoT season being aired this season so we're safe.

For now.
Aug 14, 2019 2:15 PM

Aug 2016
As someone who already read Vinland saga, kanata no astra and dr stone, I would put Vinland saga above everything by far, followed by Dr. Stone wich works great as a humoristic civilization builder.

Kanata no astra is good with its really creative twists and character interactions (archetypical but memorable) and it does a really good job in terms of egaging conspiracy solving but its a the same time a bit of lost of potential in terms of World building due to lenght of the manga. And compared to many other survivals, its less focused.
MichaelJacksonAug 14, 2019 2:23 PM
:v
Aug 14, 2019 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
It's probably not the best but one of the best certainly. I think it shows that we need more space themed anime that isn't some goofball comedy like space dandy.
Aug 15, 2019 7:21 AM
Jan 2018
I have to agree. Why is the score so low though?
Aug 15, 2019 7:23 AM
Jan 2018
Lylaaz said:
I had great expectations for this anime. But the whining Quitterie, stupid singer story / girl, utterly stupid beach/paradis episode, everything being conveniently there for them has made me 4/10 this show. The 7th episode kind of raised questions so i am seeing if it will get better, but mostly this series has been a let down.
idk man, 2/3 inconsistencies isn't enough to rate a show like this 4/10 I guess
Aug 16, 2019 8:06 AM

Apr 2018
Nah vinland saga is way better.
Aug 16, 2019 12:33 PM

Apr 2019
_shahriar_shiham said:
I have to agree. Why is the score so low though?

because
A, only 10k people rated
B, the good part will start now that will change peoples perspective off the Anime
C, people only look on the superficial/first impression stuff ( hence why shield hero is rated highly for example)

usually the mean score of the top 4 - 10 review scores tends to be a good indicator of the actual score
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 16, 2019 2:33 PM
Jul 2016
i don't see it being the best yet but it could be one of the best
Aug 16, 2019 4:25 PM

Dec 2014
Best? No. The field is still chasing Fire Force. I can get behind nominating it for most boring, though. Might be one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It's so plum full of writing cliches and predictable cookie cutter plot lines that it's almost impossible to watch and pay full attention to it without falling asleep.
Aug 16, 2019 6:41 PM

Apr 2019
DiscoMilf said:
Best? No. The field is still chasing Fire Force. I can get behind nominating it for most boring, though. Might be one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It's so plum full of writing cliches and predictable cookie cutter plot lines that it's almost impossible to watch and pay full attention to it without falling asleep.

Fire Force? xD
thats probably the worst out of the line up
literally everything airing is better than fire force
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 16, 2019 11:37 PM
Jul 2018
Too much forced drama and ham-fisted propaganda ("filthy commoner!" in episode 7 comes to mind).
Aug 17, 2019 12:38 AM

Jul 2009
I have to disagree when Vinland Saga is several tiers above everything else this season. However, this is definitely among the better ones. I like the chemistry between the cast and the lighthearted atmosphere. Still four episodes in, though, so anything can change.

On another note, I'm surprised many people prefer Fire Force over this. The direction has been terrible so far with inconsistent pacing and underwhelming action sequences. I find it to be the weakest title I'm following this season. Granted, I haven't seen the abysmal shows like Isekai Magician and Arifureta.
Aug 17, 2019 12:53 AM

Dec 2008
It's not a bad series, but a little nicer than a normal series, but it being the best series for the season..? I don't think so..
Aug 21, 2019 10:56 PM

Mar 2009
@Reiaika That's a cute sig picture.
Aug 21, 2019 11:09 PM

Apr 2013
Just gonna be the asshole that says "nah fam" just for the sake of it

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 22, 2019 6:23 AM

Dec 2008
Mormegil said:
@Reiaika That's a cute sig picture.

hi! and thank you hihi ;u;!
Aug 22, 2019 11:59 AM

Nov 2010
Yup, this is best series of this season to me as well. At first I was afraid the characters would be too cliche and boring, but I love how they are all more than meets the eye.
Aug 25, 2019 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
Skittles said:
I have to disagree when Vinland Saga is several tiers above everything else this season. However, this is definitely among the better ones. I like the chemistry between the cast and the lighthearted atmosphere. Still four episodes in, though, so anything can change.

This. Vinland Saga is far above this. But it's one of the best manga of 2000s so this is not a counter argument against KnA.

KnA is probably in my top 3. It's an ok-tier anime.
There is Fire Force&Dumbbell who aren't bad too, for the first one I hate the manga but with that great animation it's a rebirth even if the story is still bad.

This is a pretty disappointing season.
Aug 29, 2019 10:49 PM
Jul 2016
Not sure about the LN, but this show really did their home work on the various scientific terms.

A lot of scifis suck at it, and lack consistency. I watched the dub, and it's weird they keep on pouncing altitude as "attitude". But whatever.

This is a good show with impressive character development under extreme circumstances. The tropes are meant to draw the audience in.
Sep 6, 2019 7:15 AM

Mar 2018
Solid series. Not my top but a very good contender. A great, refreshing show especially this season is full of isekai garbage.
Sep 6, 2019 7:18 AM
Jun 2014
Dr Stone beats it imo, but it's up there. I typically avoid super sciency stuff, but I tried Astra out and I'm definitely glad I did.
Sep 8, 2019 11:25 AM

Aug 2019
Nah, Kanata no Astra screws up in some important areas like pacing and building tension. First episode was great, then we got 7 mediocre ones and then in no. 9 came this wtf plot twist that made me have some mixed feelings about this show.

Personally I'd rate Dr. Stone and Vinland as best mainstream shows, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Takagi-san S2 as the best "wholesome" series of this summer.
Sep 9, 2019 1:22 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't realize so many people thought badly of this anime until today. I knew not many people were watching it because the way the characters were introduced in the first episode was bad and the 2nd making it seem really generic. I just didn't realize it has so much hate it doesn't deserve. I had not been watching the anime because I already read the manga. The manga was a 8 for me because the first half was so dull. I had only stuck with it because it won the manga taishou awards and yes, the wait was worth it. The anime was an 8 for me for being very formulaic in the way it's being adapted but it works for the format. I have some problems with the adaptation leaving some helpful details out (like the age 22 to 35 detail not mentioned in the anime) but I appreciate the anime cutting out some useless things (like the Icriss blizzard). So I've decided to give the anime a 9 for how well it has brought to life archetype characters that handled differently wouldn't be memorable at all. The mystery is intriguing even if some elements are really cliched. Then again I'm also grateful for getting an anime thar isn't Isekai trash.
Sep 9, 2019 1:50 PM

Aug 2019
I totally agree with OP. I had very low expectations for this show due to the first episodes but it proved to be beyond great. Easily a 9 or 10 for me. The fact that the other shows from this season are shit highlights just how good is Astra.
Sep 20, 2019 1:57 AM

Apr 2019
Nim0174 said:
i can only agree
but astra is well above all other shows in my book this season

ah and im gonna make a prediction here
the show score at the last episode + 2 weeks will be at 8.5

i called it in july, and it's only been 1 day after last ep aired
xD
You son of a .. turtle

Sep 20, 2019 2:19 AM

Jul 2014
I mean its great yeah, but KnY's the one that really has me hooked, Dr.Stone as well.
Fun fact is I actually like Sounan desuka more than this, but I did rate this higher than Sounan but the latter was better in handling the setting they were in despite it being a CGDCT kinda trope, plus it actually gives tips and stuffs that could prove useful in some rare situations, but Astra did have some surprising plot twists compared to Sounan which is the main reason why I rated this higher, iirc I put this around 5 before all the crazy stuffs happened.
At least for me when it comes to what series Im most excited about each week is
KnY>>>Dr.Stone>Sounan=>Kanata.
Sep 20, 2019 3:00 AM

Apr 2012
It's a good anime, well constructed. But it doesn't really do anything exceptional or particularly innovative. A few anime this season are showing me things I've never seen before - Araburu, Dr. Stone, and more subtly, Machikado Mazoku. Those are superior.
Sep 20, 2019 3:28 AM

Oct 2015
Lylaaz said:
as someone who was absolutely let down by the last few episodes, Id like to know if they made you raise your score or drop it even more xD
Sep 20, 2019 11:42 AM

Mar 2010
Nostalgik said:
Lylaaz said:
as someone who was absolutely let down by the last few episodes, Id like to know if they made you raise your score or drop it even more xD

Hi!
At that time I thought Kanata no Astra is a genuinely bad anime. Not average and it’s not good either. It’s unique, but badly executed, stupidly written show. And the worst sci-fi I have come across.
As I felt my brain cells dying on the last episode I had to -1 so it's 3/10 from me.
Story and Characters are the most important part of any good show. I hate it when it gets ruined by bad writing. I'm only giving 3 points for the character designs and art, and the idea. Too bad they failed to deliver.
People need to be warned but at the moment it seems so overrated that many people who appreciate good writing will end up disappointed if this 8.2 rating stays.
Sep 21, 2019 2:02 PM

Nov 2017
Yap the best series
There no NTR in this series
Thanks to Charce for being a Good Friend
Not like the other Pretty-boy who always end up stealing Main Chara Girlfriend

Ahh.. for Kanata & Aries
Kekkon Omedetou! >.<

Medetashi medetashi....
Sep 30, 2019 3:50 PM

Oct 2008
I loved this anime, to be honest at first I saw the cover art and was considering skipping it. I than watched the first 7+ minutes and nearly dropped it, so I stopped and watched something else. Than I looked at it again and saw that there was no comedy among it's genres. Finally I saw my favorite director "Masaomi Andou" and decided this series needs it's 2-3 obligatory episodes befor I make my choice. And I was not disappointed.
Oct 2, 2019 12:54 PM
Oct 2018
I must say I don’t understand that. I had to force me to keep going with this anime. I find it just ridiculous, there is just nothing in it. Just some kids in space having fun even though they shouldn’t in that situation. And it’s just like everything around them is trying to make them having fun. The only time they had a real problem was when they couldn’t take off there ship but few minutes later they fund the exact same ship with some problems but exactly where they hadn’t any problem. Quite lucky for them to find that specific ship on an entire planet by walking!

Anyway I didn’t really enjoyed that anime personally but that’s just my opinion. And what’s your opinion now that you finished the anime btw. I just realized that you wrote that quite at the start of the anime and it’s true that I did enjoyed the first’s episodes actually. So maybe your opinion changed too... or not. With 8.27 of score I guess a lot of people enjoyed it very much even at the end.
Oct 19, 2019 12:18 AM

Nov 2014
This is one of those 1 in a decade shows that gives me hope in anime and gets me pumped up again.

Oct 19, 2019 2:13 AM

Jan 2008
Binge-watched this over two days.

While it did keep me entertained till the end with some of its interesting twists, the obvious plot holes and laughable coincidences coming from the blatant lazy writing, as well as the overly generic characters were a big disappointment and will unfortunately make for a forgettable experience. Such a waste of potential. It felt like a mashup of Made in Abyss (for the biology aspect) x Star Ocean 3 (yes I know it's a game, I'm pointing at the space exploration aspect) x Stellvia of the Universe (for the school and space setting), but doesn't come any close as those are vastly superior works in my opinion.

I highly recommend Stellvia. It's from 2003 (some might find it a bit old), I wouldn't call it a masterpiece as it had its own share of flaws, but it felt much more realistic and relatable. And it had on-par or even better CGI IMO, despite it being fifteen years old.

As for the AOTS claims, I haven't watched yet the most popular ones except for Dumbbell (which was... entertaining, to say the least), but if so many believe this to be the top one, then the bar must have come pretty low... *sigh*
MythiaOct 19, 2019 2:52 AM
You just can't spell slaughter without laughter...
Oct 23, 2019 4:49 PM
Nov 2015
Wow
I wasn't expecting anything from it when i started it especially that no one is talking about it
so it was like s hidden gem for me
It has it problems but his unique story and twists cover that all!!!
For me it's sure thd best of this season
Such a shame that animes likd this don't get any attention but animes likr KNY get all the attention just because of the animation and fights
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Astra x Star Trek

FuunsaikiStar - Jul 30

3 by MOON_SENSEI »»
Aug 16, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

351 by Talamare »»
Jul 25, 2:54 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2019

180 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 15, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2019

170 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 15, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

203 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 15, 1:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.