Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 20, 2020 2:33 PM
Mar 2016
shiro_kai said:
Kirito_Alsufi said:

They started dating in the novel. In the final two books which cover their third year, Kumiko becomes the club president and they put off their relationship temporarily because she wants to focus on the responsibilities as the president. Shuuichi becomes the vice president and supports her throughout this entire time. Kumiko tells Shuuichi that she loves him AGAIN and resume their relationship at the end after winning gold at the national competition.

Since when it was love triangle while Renia is in love with Taki sensei?

The fuck, how you understood that? Anyways, thats the LN version. Not the anime.

They already announced for the season 3 so yeah it's going to happen wherever you like it or not.
Jan 20, 2020 5:29 PM

Sep 2015
Kirito_Alsufi said:
shiro_kai said:

The fuck, how you understood that? Anyways, thats the LN version. Not the anime.

They already announced for the season 3 so yeah it's going to happen wherever you like it or not.

They are already not following the material, according to the wiki (I don't know), so no reason to think they will not keeping whaterver the director think is better again. Also, I have seem the "announcement" of many sequel that never actually happened. We will have to wait to see it if it will really happen. Sadly, the announcement was made before the fire. :(
Jan 20, 2020 5:46 PM
Mar 2016
shiro_kai said:
Kirito_Alsufi said:

They are already not following the material, according to the wiki (I don't know), so no reason to think they will not keeping whaterver the director think is better again. Also, I have seem the "announcement" of many sequel that never actually happened. We will have to wait to see it if it will really happen. Sadly, the announcement was made before the fire. :(

They did follow the material for making them couples in this movie and later in season 3 they will be couple again as it already mentioned in light novel... wherever is happening or not you really force yourself that they don't actually get together after they broke up ((temporarily ))then they come back again as a couple in the novel but as they said "believe whatever allows you to sleep at night".
Jan 21, 2020 5:20 AM

Sep 2015
Kirito_Alsufi said:
shiro_kai said:

They did follow the material for making them couples in this movie and later in season 3 they will be couple again as it already mentioned in light novel... wherever is happening or not you really force yourself that they don't actually get together after they broke up ((temporarily ))then they come back again as a couple in the novel but as they said "believe whatever allows you to sleep at night".

"believe whatever allows you to sleep at night"

Same for you
Jan 21, 2020 8:21 AM

Jul 2014
Wait, so after the credit rolls Kumiko becomes the president of the club, does that mean they already become third-years?

So the second-year only covered in this movie which they failed to even qualify to the nationals? While in the previous season they got into nationals but lost in the end.

Wow, that's quite rushed. Considering we got like 2 seasons of them being in the first-year and now only a movie of the second-year.
Jan 21, 2020 8:40 AM
Mar 2016
shiro_kai said:
Kirito_Alsufi said:

"believe whatever allows you to sleep at night"

Same for you

Well I'm speaking fact (light novel) and you just want to deny it just because you obviously hating it because you fall for some yuribait?? Dude you really should dream for that to happen 😂.
Jan 21, 2020 9:14 AM

Nov 2007
Rumble_Shift said:
Wow, that's quite rushed. Considering we got like 2 seasons of them being in the first-year and now only a movie of the second-year.

I know!

But a big part of the second year is the issues revolving around [url=https://myanimelist.net/anime/35677/Liz to Aoi Tori[/url] which is told from Mizore and Nozomi's point of view and not from Kumiko's point of view in that movie.

The most notable changes from the novel are that Kumiko being confessed to instead of the other way around (the anime couldn't replicate Kumiko's confession. It was the most beautiful moment in the novel). There is also no Kohinata Yume in the story (the first year trumpet player as talented as Reina but with the exact opposite personality - not wanting to standout or become special). Also, Kumiko's breakup has been handled much better. The novel's breakup is very painful, for Kumiko and for the readers (not for a few though). There are also few other changes. Mainly Kumiko-Shuuichi and Kumiko-Reina moments.

@Kirito_Alsufi: Hibike! Euphonium is a full novel. It's not a light novel. And please use spoiler tags. It's against the forum rules.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 26, 2020 6:24 AM

Nov 2009
Rumble_Shift said:
Wait, so after the credit rolls Kumiko becomes the president of the club, does that mean they already become third-years?

So the second-year only covered in this movie which they failed to even qualify to the nationals? While in the previous season they got into nationals but lost in the end.

Their school band got stronger but the same thing also happened to their competitors. It's not that other school sitting around doing nothing when Kitauji was practicing. It's realistic, I guess, but it's also sad for the characters.

At least, their spirit is still strong. That speech by Yuko near the end was amazing.
Marina2Jan 26, 2020 6:28 AM
Feb 2, 2020 12:23 AM

Nov 2007
Marina2 said:
At least, their spirit is still strong. That speech by Yuko near the end was amazing.

You are the Marina2 who is the Marina2 I know and I am sure of it because of Yuuko-senpai.

Her speech was indeed very touching yet reinvigorating. And no one will be able to tell that she was crying to the point she dropped on the floor with Natsuki-senpai consoling her. That was incredible. I will miss her and Natsuki-senpai both. Natsuki-senpai's flustered face after receiving that thanks out of nowhere was pretty precious! Yuuko-senpai returned it 10 times over for all the tease she had to endure.

But the fact that we never got to see Kumiko crying her eyes out when she got to be alone with Shuuichi for Yuuko-senpai, Natsuki-senpai and all the third years not making to the Nationals after giving their all made me tad sad.
Coronavirus.
Feb 15, 2020 10:03 AM

Feb 2019
More Kumiko being Kumiko
Feb 26, 2020 9:46 PM

Jul 2016
So, this movie actually covers mostly all their second year's days in just 100 minutes, uh?... well, to say things felt rushed would be an understatement, I guess.

As a movie experience, it was fine but honestly, most of the issues regarding Satsuki (the first year tuba girl if I'm correct) and Kanade's characters were already addressed and handled in the previous seasons in a more satisfying way. Not to mention also that due to the obvious time constraints a movie format has, the lack of impact in both these storylines was rather notorious. Kabe-senpai's side-plot regarding her health condition had me interested tho. Sadly, they didn't bother in expanding it.

Regarding new characters, they weren't that memorable either. Satsuki lacked development and Kanade is basically first year Kumiko but with her defeatist attitude raised to 100. I somewhat empathize with the latter's way of thinking but again, season one handled the whole "Senpai vs. Kouhai" scenario way better.

As for the presentation, their performance was spectacular as expected and hearing Mizore's solo again gave me some nice memories from when I watched "Liz to Aoi Tori". It was a truly enjoyable sequence and easily, my favorite part.

And now, on a personal note, I really don't know why they bothered in including the side-plot regarding Kumiko and Shuuichi's relationship if in the end, it didn't add anything significant to the main plot. They could have cut all that out and nothing would have changed. It all felt rather pointless if I'm honest.

6/10 - Overall, decent watch but personally, this would have worked better as a whole new season (or a two-parts movie at least) instead of a 100 minutes long movie.

P.S.: Kumiko being the new club president at the end was odd... dealing with Kanade's cheeky attitude was already exhausting for her so I wonder how she will manage to lead a whole new class (new kohais included) to the next Nationals. It might be interesting to see tho.
SouthRzVaFeb 26, 2020 10:00 PM
Feb 28, 2020 2:34 PM

Feb 2019
The movie was brilliant visually just like every kyo ani thing tends to do. Although I think this would have been way better if it was a full season instead of movie.

They started the damn movie by destroying all the yuri shippers out there.
RIP Yuriphonium!

Kanade was surely an interesting character. Loved her interactions with kumiko. As for other first years, they weren't as interesting as kanade if ririka is excluded considering she's almost non existent excluding a frame or two.

Reina was awesome as always. Going to that hill alone and practising. That's some hardcore dedication she has. I feel really bad for her especially after the results. Also love the way she threw the hand wash at shuichi when he was with his kohai.

Love the way natsuki got flustered after yuuko thanked her!

The band's final performance was really breathtaking especially liz to aoi tori.

Mizore stole the entire fucking show without having to speak a single damn thing throughout the entire movie. Her performance was just awesome. I am kinda feeling sad now considering that was the last of mizore and especially for nozomi considering she never got to go to the nationals T_T I hope she fnds her happiness.
Mar 1, 2020 10:46 AM

Jan 2012
Mid part of movie was rushed but still pretty good. Was obvious they cut a lot to meet time restrictions. I'd like to see this as a TV adaptation with better pacing.

Still pretty good though
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Mar 1, 2020 1:23 PM
Aug 2015
I wonder who's going to replaced Mizore. Isn't she the only one that can play Oboe? Maybe a new first years? or did I miss someone?

Really like her solo part. But still they didn't make it, damn!
Mar 1, 2020 5:07 PM

Mar 2013
the fuck was that ending

well whatever i guess it could have been a lot worse.
Mar 2, 2020 12:21 AM

Feb 2019
Laito-21 said:
I wonder who's going to replaced Mizore. Isn't she the only one that can play Oboe? Maybe a new first years? or did I miss someone?
They got some first years who can play oboe most notably rirka kenzaki. It was shown in liz to aoi tori.
Mar 2, 2020 2:43 AM

Feb 2014
I just saw the film. The pacing on the first half was fine with Kumiko trying to figure out how Mi-chan will open up to the group. And then came the second half with Satsuki's issues leading upto the competition. I felt that this should had been a 12 episode or at least a two part movie for better pacing.

I love they're performance, the liz to aoi tori was amazing. They did manage to get a gold but it was a dud gold as they were unable to proceed to nationals. Natsuki, Mizore, Nozomi and the rest of the 3rd years will be graduating, they will surely lose a lot of good members. I don't read the source material so I'm not sure who will be replacing them and if they will get good recruits.

I do hope Kyoto Animation will still proceed and produce the third season. It doesn't matter how long they will recover from last year's tragic arson incident but I do want a the third season to happen.
OrangeRafiMar 2, 2020 2:46 AM
Mar 2, 2020 6:21 AM

Jan 2013
More of the same boring melodrama. At least it looked pretty, and the sound design overall was nice.
Mar 2, 2020 7:25 AM

Mar 2019
Finally got to see this! Of course it feels a little rushed as its the second year in one movie, but everything thats good about Hibike is present here :) absolutely gorgeous visuals and music. The stories perhaps a little more or less the same as whats previously been seen, but if your a fan of the series you will enjoy this as well.
Mar 5, 2020 2:41 AM

Jan 2014
This was basically everything i expected from Hibike! Euphonium and i loved it! 9/10
Hope there will be a proper season 3 soon™ because i seriously need more Hibike! Euphonium!!!
Mar 5, 2020 10:56 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fantastic movie! But it really should've been a cour (10-12, ideally) of episodes at least, I reckon.

1st year getting a full two cour seasons' worth and its side-story a perfect movie length to boot but the 2nd just a 100 minute content-worthy movie was a little worrying for me prior to the watching even and I'm afraid to say that it somewhat came true.

To add more to that, I feel like several bits had the potential to be even more impactful with more time and gradual buildup (much like the previous installments in the franchise). Suzuki-chan's (Mirei) bit, Kabe-chan-senpai's condition and the Kumiko-Shuuichin relationship, in particular, and the lack of practice screen-time overall somehow just irks a little bit for the lack of exploration. But, keeping those nitpicks aside, it was a great watch nonetheless!

Quite frankly, it was fab to see the Characters again just being themselves really! Even more so with the notch in Character Designs, moreover. Always great to see that, truly gave off a senpai feeling in earnest. Hazuki-chan and Satsuki-chan's moments plus Midori and Motomu-kun moments were both just brilliant too!

Kumiko playing the senpai role but still being herself in essence was a pleasure to see! And some fine demonstration of maturity during Kanade-chan's outburst there too!

Kanade-chan taking the second protagonist role from Reina here was a pity since I'd rather much have the three share that role but no helping that. Just like Kumiko, I couldn't help but think that she totally gave off that "mendoukusai" feeling though xD. Fairly obvious from the beginning that she was looking to disrupt something and has had her fair share of troubles in advance but I'd no complaints here. Pretty much the focal point of the movie in a sense so it'd to give and it sure did! Damn, she's got quite the teasing ability too lmao.

Very proud to see more of selfless, role-model and best-senpai Natsuki--senpai too chipping in with her fine grace too! She's been my favourite character since mid-second season and I didn't expect her to get such a highlight here, so it was definitely the nicest little surprise for me. Man, that moment when all the three from the Euphonium division got the tick was just .. brilliant! Best-case scenario for all, nothing beats that. And very nice moments with the President plus a ~kawaii~ blush as well, definitely had my fill lol. Seriously though, her asking for help from Kanade-chan just goes to show how marvelous of a character she is!

Sad that she, and the other third year members in particular, didn't make it to the Nationals this time though. To be honest, I didn't see that coming at all though but seeing Kanade-chan picking up on the "I'm so frustrated. I'm so frustrated, I could die!" from her senpai(s) somehow just felt so very right.

Fun little cameos from the three bestie senpais too, absolutely loved that! Holy moly, Kaori-senpai seriously looks like an angel now lol. Asuka-senpai still has the mysterious vibe as always and the former President emotional as ever, really touching moments overall. I wonder what that picture to Kumiko is supposed to symbolize though, did she scribble something on the back or something of the sort? Welp, knowing her, it could be anything...

And now, finally time to touch upon the Animation Quality because boy, oh boy, was it great! Mesmerised in the first few moments of the "confession" alone, like seriously. God, it was definitely movie quality from KyoAni's standards! Incredible stuff, as always! Sound Department was wonderful like the usual too, nothing t gripe on there. TRUE and Hibike! Euphonium are just like honey-and-butter by now, really.

Overall, I'm going to be a little harsh and not give this a 9 but a solid 8.40/10. "Rushed would be an understatement" - despite all the great aspects of the movie, this underlying problem happens to be the biggest and overlying issue imo.

Lastly, I pray that the sequel anime project that was announced earlier will get to see the daylight irregardless of how long it takes. #StayStrongKyoAni. Seeing the end-credits roll over and knowing the fact that some of these wonderful people are of no more, it was certainly hard to hold back tears. I honestly can't wait to see them back in action.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 5, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2012
@_MushiRock11_ I understand why people complain that Reina is increasingly losing the attention of the authors, but in fact, this is due to the original work. Eupho is more "Kumiko meets different people" than "Kumiko and Reina relationship".
Mar 5, 2020 9:08 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
RobertBobert said:
I understand why people complain that Reina is increasingly losing the attention of the authors, but in fact, this is due to the original work. Eupho is more "Kumiko meets different people" than "Kumiko and Reina relationship".

Ah right, I was starting to get that feeling from the movie too. Thanks for the confirmation nonetheless!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 5, 2020 9:25 PM

Dec 2016
I don't know... for me, this movie was okay. It didn't help that I dislike Kanade's cheeky attitude since the beginning but I know her character was required in order to demonstrate how much Kumiko has growth as a person, since they are quite similar in some aspects.

Anyways, this movie had some funny and heartwarming moments that I truly loved. For example, I loved how Natsuki's efforts paid off and she could play in the competition alongside Kumiko and Kanade. Also, we could see a counterpart regarding this aspect with Hazuki working really hard yet not being able to make it in the end. Still, it was quite endearing how she supported her kouhai who had more experience playing the tuba than her.

And finally, how could I forget about my boy Motomu? At first, I thought he would be quite insufferable but it turned out he ended up being a really nice boy who deeply respects Sapphire's ability with the contrabass.

In my opinion, these moments and some others made this an enjoyable experience, but of course not at the level of Liz to Aoi Tori.

P.S.: The scene where Reina threw a water/liquid soap bottle at Shuuichi was so unexpected that it made me laugh so hard I ended up spilling some of my tea. xD
Mar 8, 2020 1:06 AM

Feb 2008
Anything that means more Hibike Euphonium is a win in my books.

I came expecting a lot from this movie, and it delivered everything that I wanted and more. Holy hell, I even heard Bolero played by the blue dress all girls school. Excellent character development, the usual drama that this show always has. But as people have said, cramming all of 2nd year of high school into two movies (because Liz movie happens in the same year) literally wasn't enough for me.

It was a beautiful movie, but the ending killed all my expectations. Thought the third season was going to be how they train for Nationals but instead a lot of secondary characters will leave without glory, ending their 3rd year without participating in Nationals. It strikes me badly.

Hats off to Hazuki and the other trumpet senpai who take the bad side of competitions. Very sad for both of them.

I am still very disgusted at the ending. 7/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Mar 11, 2020 3:30 AM

Sep 2015
Kind of get why the score is below 8.

What's different:

• New members
  • New music? (From Liz)
  • Character progression
  • Romance
  • Better art

What's similar:

• Plot devices
  • Drama

New members and interactions are refreshing but re-using most of the plot devices from the last two seasons are disgusting. From participating in the same marching event, the same festival, the same pool to the same training center, basically there's nothing new in terms of plot devices and settings.

This movie is nothing but just a build up for Kumiko's third year. Hope we can see something unique in the sequel but I'll keep my expectation low atm.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Mar 14, 2020 1:10 PM

Aug 2013
I really hope for season 3. As someone above said, this movie was a really strong build up for 3rd season and Kumiko's 3rd year. I bet that it will be a masterpiece łif we get it in the future).

Anyway, as always, visually stunning. Brilliant character design, I love so much KyoAni's eyes.
Awesome voice acting.
Solid 8/10.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 15, 2020 7:37 AM

Feb 2014
Nice art and animation do not do nothing for me.
Unnecessary melodrama all over again (though this is what represents Hibike Euphonim...).
That empty feeling and unfulfilling ending.

I want back my 1 hour and 40 minutes

Easy 5/10
TechOtakuMar 15, 2020 7:43 AM
Mar 24, 2020 9:16 AM

Jul 2016
This was obviously a return to the tone and feelings of season 1 but with the development from season 2. Seeing Kumiko display how much she's grown was an absolute joy. Hisaishi Kanade was perfect in juxtaposing Kumiko's character from season 1. If I were honest I would have to say the movie didn't give enough screentime to the other new characters nor does it flesh out Kumiko and Shuuichi's relationship. As a film I consider Liz and the Blue Bird to be stronger as well.

It does, however, probably have the most powerful display of Kyoani's ability to create subtle and nuanced moments and scenes. Everything also felt balanced and harmonious- moreso than the TV series, in fact. It was such a tight time frame to fit that much content in and yet they pulled it off and made it feel like it was over 2 hours long. I loved the story. I loved what they were going for. They could have made big, flashy moments like season 1 and 2 but they didn't because those flashy moments belonged to those seasons. This was the story of someone who gre up and now has to take care of others like she was in the past. And it works like a dream. Kanade is a fantastic character and her interactions with Kumiko were incredible especially with the backing of Kyoani's god-like animation. The creative choice to limit the flashiness of the animation was a good call since they could display more of the character's inner thoughts and feelings in their actions better. It proves that this series is indeed one of the best ever made. If season 2 was the highpoint, I don't mind this being the follow-up. Thank you, Kyoani, for this. movie.
Mar 26, 2020 3:54 PM

Oct 2010
I only saw the movies and the beginning of this one caught me by surprise for I though Kumiko is a lesbian lol. Apparently she likes Shu, the break up was kinda sad but I hope they get together in the sequel.

Asuka-senpai was cute as always even though she appeared for about 3 minutes

I was mad when they lost, well, I'll gladly watch a sequel
Mar 26, 2020 5:44 PM

Nov 2007
Catalano said:
Apparently she likes Shu, the break up was kinda sad but I hope they get together in the sequel.

Whether we will get a sequel is uncertain now despite of the sequel announcement before the fire. Let's just hope we do.
Coronavirus.
Apr 2, 2020 5:13 PM

May 2016
The movie definitely moved me sentimentally and I enjoyed it but amount of time they had
was just not enough to have that full impact on you, but have to say that despite that
they handled it well, the story itself was not that strong and had a lot of drama what do
you expect from 1st years xD.

my top aspect of this movie was the voice actress/actors especially Kumiko it was by far a mile better than anything I've seen, the way she changed her tone and mood from one to another I would give that 10/10.

overall I would give it 7/10
Apr 9, 2020 5:38 PM

Nov 2017
Ah..expected more I should say. Hope we'll be getting a third season pretty soon.7/10 for me.

Apr 13, 2020 1:43 PM

Feb 2011
Honestly this movie was extremely bland, i couldn't get invested in any of the new characters and it felt like a rushed version of the tv series. It's cool that it exists I guess but nowhere near as good as the two seasons. 6/10
Apr 15, 2020 3:03 PM

Feb 2010
omg this movie...to be honest.
THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME.

If this 3 season happens, with Kumiko being president, is gonna be amazing.
cant wait for 3 season <3
Apr 21, 2020 11:59 AM

Jun 2013
The film was very good (though the pacing would have been way better with a TV serie).

However I have one question : why wasn't Kitauji qualified for the Nationals when they won the gold on Kyoto's concours ?
Apr 24, 2020 10:33 AM

Feb 2019
Another awesome work from Kyoto Animation for the Hibike! Euphonium series.

I will be honest, it was not as breathtaking as the first two seasons or the "Liz to Aoi Tori" movies, but it was by no means bad. Perhaps it has something to do with cramming the entire second year into a single 1 hour and 41 minute movie.

I knew from the beginning that something was up with Kanade. Frankly I didn't like her early on and I didn't catch what her true motivations could be until Kumiko said it out loud in the rain after Kanade's first botched audition. But after that, I came to understand her and even like her. Through her, Kumiko is no longer the one looking up to someone else, but rather she is someone others look up to, in this case Kanade. I could feel Kanade when she spoke about her experience in middle school, about having been chosen to play as part of the team going to the competition and yet people thought "if we were going to lose anyway, the third years should've played." Something like that really disrespects and disregards how hard people like Kanade worked, and it was understandable that she'd be afraid of experiencing something like that again. When Kumiko said that at least she and Natsuki will protect Kanade, that was amazing.

Kumiko is still an interesting character. I find it awesome that Kumiko can take insults, jabs, and attempts to undermine her wall of composure well. Several times I felt as if Kanade wanted to try and break Kumiko's composure, but she was as calm as ever. Kumiko truly is amazing as she can see and read between the lines, something that we already knew by the end of the second season. But the Kumiko in this movie truly solidifies something we gradually saw: that Kumiko has changed. The Kumiko we saw in episode 1 of season 1 is now different. She has become more mature, braver, better overall, and it is great, inspiring, and beautiful to see how far she's come.

Can't ignore how Shuuichi confessed to Kumiko at the BEGINNING of the movie! At first I was actually confused whether she accepted his feelings or not, but the festival confirms that she did. I was really happy to see them get together! Although Shuuichi's attempt at a kiss went way wrong. It ended, perhaps temporarily, but it was understandable. Club, exams, future plans all hanging above them. Any relationship they have now might suffer from it. Although I do think their relationship suffered in terms of development due to the short runtime of the movie. It was to the point that the impact wasn't really that felt. I do hope that in season 3, they're going to get back together!

It's so great to see the President, Kaori, and Asuka again! I see President hasn't changed, but Kaori does look adorable. She looks like a fine lady to be honest. Asuka is as fun and stunning as always (and President is always as prone to crying as always!).

We didn't see much of Nozomi and Mizore here, understandably. But it still ignites memories and emotions when I see them, especially during the performance. "Liz to Aoi Tori" was certainly beautiful and what happened between them really left a lasting impression. During the part where they played together, I kept remember everything that happened to them and listened as they "danced" and responded to one another in the performance. Granted, it was more beautiful in "Liz to Aoi Tori", but here we got to see the full piece.

I was actually surprised that they didn't even get to Nationals this time, although it does make sense. The doses of reality in this series never fails to surprise me. With so many skilled members lost when the third years graduated, it was always going to be a hard fight. I hope Taki-sensei won't give up on fulfilling his late wife's dreams and getting gold at the Nationals for Kitauji one day.

It was really sad to see Yuuko collapsing and crying like that, with Natsuki trying to comfort her. But later on, Yuuko gave quite a rousing and inspiring speech. It was definitely not a mistake to appoint her as president, with Natsuki at her side. When these two graduate, I'm going to miss them so much! Yuuko is still so precious to me as I remember how I initially found her annoying but gradually she became one of my favourite characters. Her dedication and motivation still really shows. It was sad that during her term she couldn't lead them at least to Nationals.

Also loved Yuuko as Drum Major during the Sunrise Festival performance!

And for the best surprise of all, Oumae Kumiko as president of the Wind Ensemble! I was totally blown away. I didn't expect that at all, even though there aren't that many candidates among her year. But still, wow! We went from aloof, distant, and unconcerned Kumiko to her becoming president in her third year of high school. I'm just so happy and excited and proud! I love the fact that we saw her development all the way from the beginning. And now, she's president! She's really leading the club! She fits the bill, definitely. She might not look decisive or a mistress of all trades like Asuka did, but she certainly has the skills and maturity for it. After all, "Oumae Consultation Room" lol. But she really does fit best for this. If I had to sum it all up, it's her people skills. She has a way of making people vent their intentions, open up their hearts, because despite her not looking like it, she can see through people, see into their hearts. And how kind and nice, and just her overall personality, and her dedication to the Wind Ensemble really makes people not regret doing that after all. And in the end, she'll solve the problem. That's definitely president material. I can't wait to see season 3, and hopefully see them finally get gold at Nationals under her leadership!

Not sure how to score this yet. Either an 8 or a 9, that's for sure.
Apr 24, 2020 12:44 PM

Jul 2016
Just want to expand on my previous post after thinking a bit more about the movie.

I actually might like this film more than Liz ad the Blue Bird. I can easily see why this film could cause disappointment among fans of the franchise. It's nowhere near as flashy as season 1, it's not as grand, ambitious, and encompassing as season 2, and its not as memorable as Liz. But it has to be understood that KyoAni wanted to take a new direction for this film and its story, in that if season 1 and 2 were stories of break-ups and catharsis, this film is one of learning.

We, and the characters, have already been through so much pain, anger, passion, etc. in the TV series. This film is essentially about how Kumiko and the other band members applying what they have learnt. They have already finished their arc, now its time to teach what they learnt to their fresh underclassmen. This produces an extremely nuanced and understated atmosphere because the problems and drama the new characters bring isn't the main point of the film - it's about how the characters we grew to love help the new characters and stand by them.

Seriously, after all Kumiko has been through with Asuka in season 2 she's basically a war-veteran.

Hisaishi Kanade was my favourite character of the film and a very strongly written one. She is a tragic character but that tragedy was never overblown. She's the type of person who thinks things over and keeps things to herself. Very much like Asuka. The only way we get to know her true feelings and thoughts is interpreting the way she snoops around and questions everything about the band and what happened the previous year. It shows how she has an utter disbelief that people can be so accepting and kind. We, of course know the bullshit the band went through but she doesn't and her actions were natural. She tried getting Mirei to join her on the dark side because she never trusted any of her senpai and wanted to gather allies against them. Very much like Nozomi. She's the "ultimate boss" quote-on-quote to deal with. I loved how subtlety she acted around Kumiko and everyone else - merely letting glimpses of her true intentions and bitterniss go through. But since she's not as good as Asuka she still lets her emotions leak out and can vent her frustrations like she did to Kumiko in the restaurant. And boy does Kumiko deliver the proverbial smack-down whenever she's up against Kanade. She's too badass to lose to this. Amamiya Sora did a brilliant job as Kanade. Really can't see how it could be improved.

The logic of Kumiko becoming club president is like this-
Haruka becomes president as she's the only one brave and kind enough to lead the broken band. Clearly insecure about herself and her position but everyone trusts her because she is a kind person who can shoulder the responsibility of leading a band full of mistrust.
Yuuko's headstrong leadership gives the band confidence that their decisions were correct. Works especially well seeing how she was the most vocal opponent to the results of the audition-first method before accepting it.
And now Kumiko. Who you'll probably spout all your problems and insecurities if you stayed in her presence for more than five minutes. She's someone who is open-minded, understanding, and responsible (she did take it upon herself to drag Asuka back to the band). As I said, she's a bonafide war veteran.

This was never meant to be another season 1 or 2. It was made to conclude what the characters have learnt and what they can do to help others.

I am only sad I probably won't be able to see more.
raisin-kunApr 24, 2020 12:58 PM
May 2, 2020 3:16 PM

Sep 2017
Wow what a movie. It managed to get through so much character development and previous events (live the sunrise and summer camp) in such a short movie, but it worked so well.

But man what a twist at the end. You know when I realized they were giving us the full ~9 minute performance with about 10 minutes left in the run time I was a bit curious. Would nationals take place in a sequel? But no, they weren't even selected.

I feel bad for the current third years since they missed out, but they at least made it to nationals in the previous year. I'm stoked for the season 3/final movie. Reina deserves to win nationals! I really hope Kyoani will still be able to get it done eventually despite the tragedy.
May 7, 2020 10:58 AM

Oct 2017
I was really reluctant to watch this movie and my fears came true. Ngl this movie was kinda stupid and to me this was really lacking compared to the first two seasons. An entire year of events in a single movie which had less runtime than 5 regular episodes, sigh.

The content of the movie was pretty good but damn it was rushed to say the least. I wanted to see so many things happen but all we got was some new member joining and a little bit drama. Then it was straight to the competition and they lost even before going to nationals which many will say is realistic but it still hurts.

Also half assed forced Shuuichi x Kumiko ship and it didn't sail at the end.

Anyway I enjoyed all of the sweet Yuuko moments. She was so adorable as the president hehe, I loved to see her acting as the leader.

Considering how rushed things were this movie was okayish. A new season is coming and I'm really hoping that we'll get a re adaptation of the events of this movie and not a continuation of this movie.
Jun 4, 2020 10:01 PM

Oct 2010
Apparently the US BD release is using the theatrical master, which leaves in a few errors. .

Top is US release.

I didn't discover this, was linked to a tweet via a blu-ray site. I'm so happy I imported the JP copy despite the expense. I can't imagine why Shout! Factory didn't just wait a few more months or so to get the corrected/fixed version.
Jun 12, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2020
Okay I was following since first season and this is the finale? Is this really the finale? I can't believe this. Hoping they made another movie or series (apart Liz to Aoi Tori which are spin off). Still concerned about the story of Oumae became a club leader. (clip after credit in this movie).

First, they took this story in a rush which really this finale was like a recap from season 2 just with different team and class. Almost all of the problematic arc is the same like season two (in my opinion).

Second, Romance doesn't make a sense but still girl x girl point is really strong in here. Less boys more girls. Mostly for Reina and Oumae they had strong relationship (ofc if we are guy had that kind of relation we will labeled as ... .......)

In the end this is not better than two and first series but still enjoyable too. You can enjoy the orchestra for your lullaby song because I feel sleepy on orchestra part. Camera angle on orchestra has improvement. The rest it just normal problem and condition nothing special. Art maybe has improved as well or more cleansing. Not a fans but I like this series for the first time I see (around 4 or 5 years ago).

Glad I see Asuka and Reina again on 2020
sharosharoJun 12, 2020 7:52 AM
Jun 19, 2020 4:15 AM

May 2014
sharosharo said:
Okay I was following since first season and this is the finale? Is this really the finale?

Not the finale, there is a 3rd season announced which will cover Kumiko's third year.

---

Anyways on with my own thoughts. Not a bad movie, of course it sucks that it was the entire 2nd year condensed into it but I think the movie accomplished what it set out to do. The drama was much more bearable this time as well, 2nd season's over-the-top drama ruined it for me.

New characters are all pretty interesting and I think this served as a primer to hopefully get them more fleshed out in the 3rd season.

The performance was beautiful and it was very nice to enjoy Liz and the Blue Bird in its completion, made me tear up a little as it reminded me of that movie which I consider the best this whole series has to offer.

8/10 for me, it was enjoyable and has me looking more forward to season 3 than season 2 left me feeling.
Jul 7, 2020 11:56 AM

May 2020
794 said:
sharosharo said:
Okay I was following since first season and this is the finale? Is this really the finale?

Not the finale, there is a 3rd season announced which will cover Kumiko's third year.

Alright let's wait for it. Tbh this show is enjoyable.
Jul 8, 2020 12:55 AM

Apr 2012
sharosharo said:
794 said:

Alright let's wait for it. Tbh this show is enjoyable.

This was called the finale because it adapted all the LN that had come out at that time.
Jul 26, 2020 5:35 AM

Nov 2018
Well, it was pretty weak compared to previous seasons.
6/10 at best

I knew I should have stopped after 2 season , but it's fine.I just hope 3rd season will be more like a real season than like this movie that was half re-cap - half extremely rushed 2nd year for Kumiko that already ended its story after failing to qualify for nationals.

I understand that KyoAni had enough troubles at the time with that tragedy happening (#PrayForKyoAni) , I just want the story to have a proper ending.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 9, 2020 4:08 AM
Apr 2019
I have to consider it's a movie,it's pointless to complain about that,specially I didn't feel any loose plot threads. It stays focused on Kumiko ,how she handles her club and Eupho after Asuka's departure .Asuka was like a storm in everyone's life including Kumiko.She grabbed everyone at her time and now that she is gone,Kumiko is bound to be affected,she has to deal with it ASAP .

Think of this movie as an extension to the previous series,we know how Kumiko is,we know how the other characters felt ,both as individual or as a human on Kumiko .

S2's main event was Asuka pointing out Kumiko's personality traits,it was so important because it's the story of Kumiko and her progression .She has come around a long time,now has to act like a senpai and has to pull through her juniors.It felt refreshing,as previously Kumiko only received,now she has to deliver .And she delivers,yeah I know some might be bit disappointed because she isn't the cutest girl acting now,now she thinks on her future,something she probably never considered before.She is slowly maturing,probably her growth isn't that surprising or noticable,but she has good traits and can overcome her dark side .
My only disappointment was how they handled Tsukamoto part,I think he deserved more screentime.Chemistry between Tsukamoto and Kumiko is very good,they can be compatible in future.Best friends,probably not,but surely he is a close friend whom Kumiko can rely .
The last performance was the best amongst this series,wonder why they didn't qualify,probably there were better opponents .

I'm sad now,when season 3 would come I don't know . I really love Kumiko,and though the story was a bit easy on her,it's clear who she is ,what she can do or not,and what she can challenge next .
Love Hibike Euphonium ! Goodluck to KyoAni !
Aug 9, 2020 8:16 PM

Mar 2013
I really, really loved it. I watched the original two seasons when they came out and all three movies this past week and they just reminded me why I consider Euph one of my favorite anime ever. I absolutely adore Kumiko and Reina. They, to me, perfectly encapsulate a lot of the feelings and mentality I had when I was a teenager, which made me resonate with both characters deeply.

Asuka is another character I feel really connected with because I understand perfectly that feeling of being forced to abandon what you love because of your parents' choices and the new girl Kanade was wonderfully written as well. I loved her.

The entire thing is beautifully animated and musicalized as usual. KyoAni just kills it with these series.
Sep 3, 2020 5:45 AM

Aug 2012
Wow, that was definitely a gold performance! I'm gonna give it a 10/10 just for that.
Sep 7, 2020 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
Great to see what happens in Kumiko's second year even though a bit rushed (kinda wish they did a one cour season instead). A lot of promising first-year students who can be a bit troublesome especially that Kanade-bitch. Her argument on 'senpai should play better' is bullcrap since it's far more logical to look at the time spent on playing an instrument (not their age) and also their talent.

Didn't had any hope for 'yuri-fans wish of Kumiko x Reina' to work out since they seem more like best friends rather than lovers, so I'm glad to see the Shuuchi x Kumiko ship being confirmed (despite the temporary break-up until they graduate). Kinda hope if there's a next season that they will show more on them since we didn't had much in the previous seasons. Sad to see them not go to the regionals which makes the stakes go pretty high for Kumiko's third year, can't wait for a sequel adaptation.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Turning Hibike! Euphonium into a film was a mistake, especially for the future

CickNipolla - Jul 12, 2022

14 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 1:37 PM

» Anyone else feel a certain trombone player needs more love? ( 1 2 )

shanimebib - Feb 8, 2019

65 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 1:12 PM

» Does Kumiko actually romantically like Asuka?

OugiRevolution - Mar 1, 2020

10 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 12:42 PM

» Kumiko x Reina ?

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

8 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 12:38 PM

» question about this

MeganeKun_ - Jun 13, 2022

12 by WiskleGEX »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.