Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Apr 6, 2018 7:08 AM

Apr 2011
Violet still has long ways to go.

The pace is going nice and slowly. I really don't like some of characters like Iris.
Apr 7, 2018 8:10 AM

Jun 2013
....Ouch...As expected Violet is not that good when it comes to normal life, manhandling the Customers and other things...and trying to write Love Letter so soon.....OUCH!

Benedict.....Woman can be teasing B***es sometimes or a**holes, but they are humans.

this series get's more and more interesting......and not surprised about major's fate, we all knew his most likely fate

JarjaxleApr 7, 2018 8:15 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Apr 7, 2018 10:14 PM
Dec 2017
Ep 2 damn good... almost touch my nerve... i still can feel this... watch this anime 2nd time still feel same as always...
Apr 8, 2018 8:25 AM

May 2012
Fantastic second episode and development, the pacing sure also pushed it up a notch and I am really looking forwards to see what's next!
Apr 8, 2018 11:04 PM

Jul 2012
I didn't cry this time but the ending had so much build up, it left me mesmerized.

I wish she wasn't so stupid though.
Apr 12, 2018 9:17 AM

May 2013
So far, it's okay :/ If I'm looking at it overall, there's not much that separates it from other animes-- only the Dolls... which isn't that interesting of a concept bc they're writing letters for people... lol.

Also, I'm fine with expressionless characters, but Violet is kinda boring imo. Hope that changes soon. Just tell her Major Gilbert died already to hopefully stir up her morph. Maybe give her some human feelings. The realest she's ever been was when she was crying and desperately trying to save the Major.
Apr 15, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2010
Not sure what to expect from this series. Multiple people I know say it's one of the best series they've seen in a while so I have high hopes. Just not sure what the actual plot will be yet. Violet is really cute and the dolls seem nice. I wonder if she'll ever fight again or if she's really going to live a normal life.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Apr 21, 2018 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
-Music and art continues to be superb.

-Violet's first letter XD What's amusing is that there are some people out there with "normal" upbringings who would react similarly to Violet when it comes to matters of communication due to their failure in grasping nuances and underlying meanings.

-Erica sympathizing with Violet due to their shared struggles at the job.

-To Violet: Girl, you are in love! You just gotta make that connection between your feelings and the concept.

-Violet starting to look more like a certain blonde girl whose was also ruthless and deadly on the battlefield, also considered to be perfect at her duties but cold and calculating, and also unable to properly understand human emotions. No problems with that whatsoever.
ZeroDragonApr 21, 2018 12:30 PM
Apr 23, 2018 1:50 AM
Oct 2012
Hibikase said:
Okay so I am confused. These Auto Memoir Dolls are ghostwriters for people CAN'T write right? That means that they do not have the skill of being able to write in whatever time period this anime is set in. Certain people are obviously not educated or predisposed to the skill of writing like people in this day and age can.

But doesn't reading and writing come hand in hand? If you can read, you can write, and vice versa.

Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but one of the customers that requested a ghostwriting CLEARLY knew how to read the letter, and expressed dislike in how Erica failed to convey his message the way he liked to. Wouldn't it be easier if he simply just wrote the letter himself then? Since he can obviously read (and know the shapes of the letters by heart), would it be so hard to recreate those letters on paper himself?

Maybe it is the fact that these customer are not eloquent enough to write the letters and must let someone else write them? Idk, I probably sound dumb right now. Someone pls explain to me

Anyways, incredible episode. Not much more to say than that. It obviously didn't have as many emotional gut-punches as the first episode, but it makes it up with some superb character moments and writing that takes us deeper in the mind and perspective of Violet.

I love the subtleties that KyoAni puts in their shows and this particular one seems bursting at the seams with incredibly detailed and meaningful character gestures and interactions. Erica is a surprisingly deep character, and Iris could also have the potential to break out of her supposed "bitchy" stereotype. All of the Auto Memoir dolls are also named after flowers which is neat. I also really want to learn more about Cattleya and Hodgins.

RIP Gillbert. My heart will break when Violet finds out that he is never coming back ;(

sorry for the sudden quote after few months passed, but i feel like i had to say something in this matter; wtf no, writing and reading does not come hand in hand especially for languages that does not use latin alphabets, and i think that is the case in this anime's language

and as for real life examples, i think its safe to say that i've memorized over 2k kanji each with their meaning and readings, but i could not recall most of it when i was trying to write them down. i struggle even in hiragana writings sometimes
Apr 23, 2018 10:16 PM
Jun 2010
Also, just because you can read and write doesn't mean you're good at it.
Apr 28, 2018 11:48 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I keep getting more enraptured by the story of Violet learning her place with the dolls, I think there are some flaws here and there but her child like sense of being and blunt attitude just really works for me. It kind of cuts the bullshit.

This series isn't that deep, it's not world building or making a story outside of Violet's circle but I think that is fine, esp for episode 2. And I'm very excited to see where we go from here.

Ericka inching towards being fleshed out a bit was very welcome. Her reason for wanting to be a doll and her position of feelings was well suited for her.

Also I keep aweing at the visuals on certain shots because damn. Violet new look and design was very beautiful. I mean we don't need to go on about the visual but they are lovely.

Apr 28, 2018 5:53 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
WordIsBond said:
Stripes said:
I keep getting more enraptured by the story of Violet learning her place with the dolls, I think there are some flaws here and there but her child like sense of being and blunt attitude just really works for me. It kind of cuts the bullshit.

This series isn't that deep, it's not world building or making a story outside of Violet's circle but I think that is fine, esp for episode 2. And I'm very excited to see where we go from here.

Ericka inching towards being fleshed out a bit was very welcome. Her reason for wanting to be a doll and her position of feelings was well suited for her.

Also I keep aweing at the visuals on certain shots because damn. Violet new look and design was very beautiful. I mean we don't need to go on about the visual but they are lovely.

Stop being so objective. You're supposed to hate it because it doesn't cater to you specifically and/or because of it's popularity.

Funnily enough I thought I was gonna hate it. Hate Violet, hate the setting, get tired of the visuals. So I’m actually pretty shocked that I’m enjoying it.
Apr 30, 2018 12:16 PM

Jun 2010
nice episode but I think Violet's personality is exaggrated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2018 3:07 PM

Jul 2009
Cattleya is very nice.
Violet doesn't understand anything about feelings...but her letter was just saying the true haha
May 11, 2018 12:02 PM
Sep 2007
Graphically, it's excellent. They surely spared no expense when it comes to animation. The plot is OK. I actually like this kind of slow paced slices-of-life thing. Not something for Naruto's fans, thats for sure.
korsarzMay 11, 2018 12:07 PM
Aug 17, 2018 2:03 AM
Jun 2013
what a odd brother. What makes you say use her as a weapon when shes just some girl he found. The music is kind of getting annoying. They keep raising its volume when nothing is happening that calls for it. I wonder if president is really banging big boobs.
Dec 15, 2018 2:14 PM

Jun 2015
a part of me kind of wants gilbert to end up being alive, but it might be better for the plot if he is dead. im just curious to see violet's development and see how her feelings and emotions will come, and maybe gilbert remaining dead would add onto that.
Dec 27, 2018 11:08 AM

Mar 2016
I'm confused at some of the comments in this forum regarding their discontent on this episode. I do not know if this show is overhyped by the community or if this episode doesn't fully deliver the content from the original source that is the LN. I personally would rather see through a shit show if I do encounter one to see how it turns out before giving my honest opinions. (Which is why I never dropped any show) However, I digress...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This episode just like the last has detailed and beautiful visuals. It seems like the standards for visual quality and animation for this show is high so that's that.

This ep, Violet undertakes the responsibility to become an auto memory doll to find the meaning behind her Major's words to her. She definitely got the skills to use a typewriter, with her soldier-like attitude, memorising and practicing a new 'weapon' is a pinch for her. Still, her experience in writing letters is not the same. Her creative writing skills are absolute 0 and she could only make direct and straightforward letters, leading to the mildly hilarious moment when that woman came in crying to file a complaint about her letter.

I find the annoyed attitude Violet's co-workers had on her to be well... Annoying! Can't they at least empathize on her current state and imagine what she has gone through when they saw that she lost both arms? Well, the most emotion they ever got of her so far is when the colonel bought the emerald brooch back to her.

Dec 29, 2018 11:25 AM
Jan 2017
Violet's letter was hilarious. Didn't expect comedy here.
"He has to try again once he has acquired enough funds and presents" I couldn't stop laughing after hearing this line. Violet through her straightforwardness ended up showing women are just gold diggers. LOL
CoreFinderDec 29, 2018 11:35 AM
Jan 21, 2019 2:54 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Violet looked beautiful in her outfit. That former colonel really is taking care of her, the late major would be at ease if he knew about how well things are going for his sweetheart.

The term “Doll” they use fits Violet's case very well, from the glimpses they gave us, she looked to have been abused to hell at some point. That evil looking brother of the major's, if he's still alive might just be a source of threat to Violet's new life, you never know.
Apr 7, 2019 10:09 AM
Feb 2019
I love the OP and ED and I won't argue with others how they don't like the ED. I'm into the story since episode 1 and this episode, was so smooth at the beginning until the brooch appeared. It's painful that Hodgin, even though Violet doesn't show that much of emotion, doesn't want to hurt her. And here I was expecting that Gilbert is still alive and I'm going to witness them reunite someday...

Well, anyways. I'm getting into this series more and more... I love the settings and everything.
May 7, 2019 6:41 AM

Feb 2013
Haha, lol, dunno if I should laugh of feel sorry for that woman who had to deliver that letter, Violet needs to improve, a lot!
Damn, I was sure Gilbert was dead.
May 25, 2019 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
Hibikase said:
Ventus_S said:

Don't argue with someone who has a mental age of 10~16.

Honestly this anime should have been a niche genre like Rakuga, but people overhyped it and all the edgy teenagers caught in the hype train and watch something that's inherently not interesting for them.

I honestly have never seen anything get so OBLITERATED by hype than this show. It is kind of KyoAni's fault for hyping this show up so much with the first CM, which looked full-blown dramatic scenes and even have hints of an action show in it, especially with the scene of her with the axe.

Like wtf was KyoAni THINKING? This CM is obviously not representative of what the show is about. Why couldn't they have took a more conservative approach with the show's promotion by showing a more muted depiction of the show as a pensive character piece instead of some sort of dramatic action/romance show like a sparkly glittery FMA:B?

What I am saying is that the backlash this show is receiving right now IS deserved because of KyoAni's poor decisions for presenting the show before release as something that it is CLEARLY not.

Also, when did a show ever need to have a relatable main character to be good? It is about constructing a deep and fleshed out character with explained motives and backstory, not to create a character that anyone can project themselves on to. You can't really criticize a show or story for being objectively bad just because a character does not resonate with you personally. Isn't the point of consuming anime to escape reality and take on different perspectives on stories and worlds that are different from your own?

In this case, people are calling Violet a bad character because they are annoyed by the way she acts, and then the show takes shit for it. That makes no sense to me because I found Violet's current personality and actions to be believable considering her backstory and how she was raised from the little information we have so far. Characters are supposed to develop, so if you can't stand her right now, either drop the show and stop posting illegitimate criticism or continue to see whether this character changes or not (for better or for worse)

I hope I didn't sound too salty, because I don't mean to directly attack anyone. But I also have the right to point out some people's bullshit.

i also get violets char kind of cause full metal panic both mains similar background, both were in military sins little kids

they should yell her thst major is dead, its worse is she hears it later or over hears it when they talj about it
May 27, 2019 10:40 PM
Feb 2019
A Cowboy Bebop fan like me would never like this anime... But I'd never deny the art of the anime which is visually satisfying. But I don't know I am finding it boring 😑. However everyone doesn't have same taste.
Jun 16, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2018
Another great episode with amazing art and animation. I am starting to love voilet. I hope Gilbert's not dead.
Evangelion is shit
Jul 22, 2019 9:32 AM

Dec 2018
i’m watching this show with my mom and it’s really good so far. the visuals alone keep me entertained, but i’m enjoying the characters too. hopefully they flesh out iris some more as the show goes on.
Sep 14, 2019 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
I get the feeling I won't like this anime. So far there's been like 5 crying scenes already and we're already at episode 2. I didn't have high expectations coming in there in the first place since this is KyoAni and you know KyoAni is known for melodrama. Also because I heard that it focuses on tragedy and war, both genres that I can't get into. This seems like it's probably the darkest anime they made, maybe even darker than Clannad, which was more of a comedy-drama.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 3, 2019 3:27 AM

Mar 2015
Very pretty visuals! Wow Violet has a lot to work on!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 5, 2020 10:12 PM
Dec 2019
why is benedict wearing heels at 16:26 in this episode?
Jan 12, 2020 9:19 PM

Oct 2010
Poor lady. Her letter written by Violet made her sound like a gold digger (even though she wanted to play hard to get). I hope Violet becomes more suited to understanding peoples feelings.
Feb 9, 2020 11:54 AM

Feb 2012
Violet: "So you're a gold digger".

Death flags for Gilbert could be seen a long way away

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 1, 2020 9:28 AM

Jul 2014
Better pace for the second episode. So far, the characters introduced are very likable. I would have liked if they gave the definition of Auto Memory Doll, not googling it just in case. Everything else is stunning, visuals, music. Really want to watch the next episode.
May 5, 2020 3:57 PM

Aug 2019
Episode was just okay. The new characters introduced seem pretty boring, especially Erica. And Violet is hardly likable with her extreme behaviour. Though, I did laugh at her straightforward letter written for that lady. And it's ridiculous that no one checked that before delivering. Amyway, reserving judgement till I've finished the show and hoping it improves.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 5, 2020 10:05 PM

Jun 2009
Hodgins spending the pay to get the brooch back 😢

Aug 28, 2020 6:31 AM

Jun 2020
At first I thought it was the typical boring anime about over the top drama, but now I see that this is a work of art that even other planets would appreciate.
She is right, humans contradict and deny themselves. I also don't understand why humans need their feelings so much, I never understood why, but I'm starting to remember.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
Aug 31, 2020 9:52 AM

Oct 2019
She does love someone...
She is just unaware of it
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Oct 17, 2020 9:42 AM
Sep 2020
I really like this, because it's really good
Dec 2, 2020 4:49 PM

Aug 2014
Nice start of the story, but I hope we will get to know why is she the way she is. What made her thinking about herself being someone else weapon/possession?
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Dec 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Jan 2019
Violet Episode 1: "Holding a pen is hard, but I can operate a typewriter."

Violet Episode 2: "I've never used a typewriter before."

This girl has balls (and arms) of steel.

Anyway, I know some folks on here have complained about the slow pace of the show, but I really appreciate it, especially after spending so much time in the fast paced seasonal scene. It's a slice of life anime after all. And if there's one thing 2020 has taught us, it's that sometimes life moves slowly.
Feb 2, 2021 4:27 AM

Aug 2018
This was a great episode, the show will definitely move in some direction at this point, I hope it won’t end up being another cheap romance or self discovery story
Mar 1, 2021 6:27 PM
Feb 2018
Many people in this eps forum hated violet, so why it get 8.67 score?
Mar 14, 2021 7:43 AM

Jun 2020
Why were the girls being so bitchy to Benedict.............
And, he’s so hot. Ucchi voicing him is really the cherry on top

I really like Cattleya, she’s so sweet & so hot too. And she’s great wife material for Hodgins ♡_____♡

You know.....when my friends & everyone were raving bout Violet Evergarden I actually thought she was going to be this elegant, war-surviving letter-writer or something I had this image of her, along with her character design, I thought she was going to be real mature & regal....ends up I can’t seem to take a liking to her yet. She’s coming off as real rude. I mean, sure, she grew up as a soldier & on the battlefield, and she has a lot of trauma.....but to THIS extent of not picking up on basic social cues? Granted, it seems she had a rough past, and in the army they probably have different kind of social cues altogether but they want us to believe she spoke like this to her superiors/comrades in the military too???? It’s unbelievable. It’s so exaggerated it’s painful to watch, she might as well have been a robot. Her words are curt. I hope she’s not forever like this lol

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 9, 2021 8:09 PM

Sep 2020
Really nice episode, just read the comments and realized that Erica is an anime-only character! Yikes.

God, I want to hug Violet soooo badly. I hope she learns what love is, I mean, she already loves Gilbert but she hasn't realized it yet.

Also, Erica is really pretty ngl!

So, that's how he met her

Bro, stop being a simp

That was nice of him

So, is she what I'm thinking???

Lmafaooo

She's shaking

Ohhh no, this is not gonna end well!

Told ya!

So, that's how she actually feels!

She's soooo beautiful!

This scene was perfect! God, I wanna hug her.

I'm not believing it if they say he's dead, he definitely isn'!

Solid 8/10 for me!
SVTFOE4EVRApr 9, 2021 8:12 PM

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
Jul 5, 2021 10:21 PM

Jan 2021
I actually kinda enjoyed this episode…???
Also I can’t get over how beautiful the animation is.
Jul 27, 2021 1:56 PM

Aug 2011
Why won't he just tell Violet that Gilberts dead?? Is he dead? His facial expressions seem to point towards him being dead
desu desu binches
Nov 23, 2021 8:34 AM
Jul 2019
eh and it seems that Violet has a lot to do today and she doesn't really understand what others are saying, however that woman doesn't understand her at all and, she said what Violet wrote why she complains if she wanted something better to say how she feels. Usi However, I knew that the Major would not return from the first sequence. 😐
Nov 28, 2021 3:53 PM

Jun 2016
Violet continues her training to be a member of the Auto Memoir Doll team but, of course, ends up screwing up in the process. She quite literally translated the women's feelings for the guy, despite her wanting the opposite, lol.

The other members of the Auto Memoir Doll team -Iris and Erica- seem to be jealous of Cattleya's popularity. I wonder why she is so popular with customers. It's clearly not obvious... Cattleya, herself, is nice to people. Could she be hidden something tho?

Hodgins returned the brooch to Violet, using up all his pay to get it back. How sweet of him. High-fives all around.

Hodgins first name is Claudia. Rip, lol.

I know for sure that I wouldn't last as a ghostwriter. That shit must be hard, putting someone else's feelings into words. Big nope for me.

May 10, 2022 12:54 AM
Oct 2018
I am completely blown away by the visuals in this show. Gorgeous backgrounds that remind me of vivid water coloring paintings. The music has been phenomenal too, creating the perfect atmosphere that pairs so well with the feeling of the scene. Numerous scenes, I couldn't help laugh at violet. Her understanding of the world is so funny.
Aug 12, 2022 10:43 AM
Aug 2021
almost on tears. Heart wrenchingly beautiful
Sep 7, 2022 5:46 AM
Jan 2021
xdxdxdxdxdxdxdxd furrooos
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

623 by 2Trace-Rail9 »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » The OST

GRG3 - Jun 1

17 by APEMODE11 »»
Jun 4, 10:48 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

499 by tony328 »»
Jun 3, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

248 by yuna_shima »»
May 28, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

366 by BigTheRat »»
May 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.