Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Poll: Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion


#1
Feb 7, 7:22 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103865
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, Violet tried to entertain that girl with some funny face expressions.

Kinda expected the episode to run with emotions again. This time, we got a young girl making connection with Violet. Felt like the two had some decent character chemistry although Violet still has trouble expressing her own feelings.

 
#2
Feb 7, 7:32 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 455
that was great im really a romance fag
the world is saved she smiled :DD
gil's bro she wouldnt kill them if they didnt tried to assault her so fuckoff
 
#3
Feb 7, 7:35 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 28
Seems like this one is Original too. It was the best episode so far IMO, really liked it.

The last scene, however, is from the LN from what I can see. Is Dietfried this bitter in the novel ?
 
#4
Feb 7, 7:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 314
At this point this adaptation is its own thing and I have accepted that.

This episode was very nice with the relationship with the princess and Violet, with Violet helping her romantic pursuit with a prince and slowly understanding human connections, and about love. Best part is that it didn't repeat really annoying narrative patterns like people being shocked about her prosthetic for the 5th episode and her doing her infamous "I need to know what love is so that is why im a doll" catch phrase to wrap up the episode again. Really liked the subtle progression with Violet faking a smile in the beginning to her putting on a natural smile by the end of the episode. Slow burning development but have to say in hindsight the last 3 episodes are paying off now after initially turning me off.

I guess Violet is roughly 14 did not expect her to be this young (she doesn't look 14?). Thought she was 16-18 in the novel but I might be remembering wrong. In the novel she was roughly 10 when Gilbert first met her, when she received the brooch she was 14, so I thought after the rehab she would be older.

Rather interesting placement of her meeting with Dietfried though, did not expect them to place this so early on in the story. Really excited now how this will play out since the timeline is now completely different (for novel readers quite curious what you think about
)

Zer0Death said:
Seems like this one is Original too. It was the best episode so far IMO, really liked it.

The last scene, however, is from the LN from what I can see. Is Dietfried this bitter in the novel ?


Agreed best original episode next to Luculia's. Novel details about the event you are asking about
Modified by SalmonSandwich, Feb 7, 8:02 AM
 
#5
Feb 7, 7:58 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Eh? This is a filler? This episode was really good and interesting, I thought it was from the novel.

The end with the flashback of Violet's past... Looking forward for next episode.
 
#6
Feb 7, 8:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
Flowers, flowers, flowers everywhere... They've really done it with the flowers in this one.
For the flashback at the end, I wonder why they set it in the ship itself. Was supposed to be on a deserted island.

This episode wasn't that bad. Better than the last one.

At least we know that Chapter 1, 2, 4 and 10 will definitely be adapted. Maybe Chapter 3 as well, but not very sure. This is from watching the PVs btw.

SalmonSandwich said:
Rather interesting placement of her meeting with Dietfried though, did not expect them to place this so early on in the story. Really excited now how this will play out since the timeline is now completely different (for novel readers quite curious what you think about
)


Yeah, that was pretty interesting. I'm not sure, but if the next episode goes like Chapter 11, the story will get pretty interesting. Her faith towards Gilbert will be questioned, and since this anime has gone to a different path compared to the novel, her reaction may be different as well.

Zer0Death said:
Seems like this one is Original too. It was the best episode so far IMO, really liked it.

The last scene, however, is from the LN from what I can see. Is Dietfried this bitter in the novel ?


Dietfriet is pretty harsh towards Violet in the LN, so I wasn't really surprised.
Modified by Major_Gilbert, Feb 7, 9:22 AM



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
#7
Feb 7, 8:44 AM
Forum Moderator
Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 7733
Honestly so far i thought this was the worst episode.
It wasn't that bad but in my opinion this anime has delivered much better episodes so for.
I have not read the novel so i can't judge from that perspective but i think this anime is looking very good.
As for the episode i thought it could use a little more development tho the story this time wasn't that interesting to begin with.
 
#8
Feb 7, 9:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 54
Can't really say I liked this episode, I guess it was okay.
This episode hasn't really made me interest in "what going to happen?".

The ending scene flashback really interests me though.

3/5
Idk why are you reading this or why tf am I writing this but I already did, so whatever.
 
#9
Feb 7, 9:14 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Hmm...where I have already seen it?


but Violet did not work out well, I think



Yeap, as you can see the original is better.
 
Feb 7, 9:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 314
Aversa said:
Honestly so far i thought this was the worst episode.
It wasn't that bad but in my opinion this anime has delivered much better episodes so for.
I have not read the novel so i can't judge from that perspective but i think this anime is looking very good.
As for the episode i thought it could use a little more development tho the story this time wasn't that interesting to begin with.


Quite curious on what points you considered negative? For me I thought the endless citizens being enamored by the princess' love story was a tad unbelievable haha... (I guess that is a natural consequence of years of world war so maybe the people wanted a less grim event to listen and look forward to?) The almost disney esque ending with the marriage proposal was also cheesy (but that comes with the story itself being cheesy in nature). However the ending payoff with Violet naturally smiling did feel like a satisfying conclusion not only to this episode but to the past 4 episodes. Almost like a mini arc.

For me as a novel reader it also felt refreshing since the previous anime original episode were still somewhat inspired by the source material where as this one had no inspiration that I could think of.

Kibernavt said:
Hmm...where I have already seen it?

but Violet did not work out well, I think

Yeap, as you can see the original is better.


Thought this one was done well actually since she actually had to pre stretch her face before pushing her lips to make a smile haha! Felt more like she was putting more effort but also Yins was nice as well xD.
 
Feb 7, 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Is this another anime original?
[Edit] Anyway, this episode's princess looks really similiar to Ai from Kyoukai no Kanata for me.
Modified by Rinkx, Feb 7, 2:31 PM
 
Feb 7, 2:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Where are you guys watching this?
 
Feb 7, 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 53
reziar said:
Where are you guys watching this?


I live in Indonesian, and there is a website called anitoki who had the subs avaliable.
 
Feb 7, 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
Rinkx said:
Is this another anime original?
[Edit] Anyway, this episode's princess looks really similiar to Ai from Kyoukai no Kanata for me.


Don't you remember... Episode 3, at the start, the flashback... He's Gilbert's brother, the one who found Violet in the first place.



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Another great episode of Violet Evergarden.

One thing I have to point out. You may either agree or disagree with me but it's fine. I really think that it's too early for that drama scene. Seriously, at 8 minutes? 10-11 would be better. Princess Charlotte cried like 3 times. Luculia did only one. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, it looks like they needed a lot of time for that letter-conversation scene.
And, wtf? Gilbert's brother suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Looks like I smell another bastard/douchebag in the air.

Violet's face though... I cannot stand that face just to make an expression. (lol)


Modified by Nine_ZnT, Feb 7, 3:25 PM
 
Feb 7, 3:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1063
Bullshit

14 my ass, she's definitely at least 18

Modified by OrangeJP, Feb 7, 3:33 PM







 
Feb 7, 3:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
Nine_ZnT said:




OrangeJP said:
Bullshit

14 my ass, she's definitely at least 18


Hard to believe, isn't it... According to the novel they always say she has many child-like features, but a face of a mature woman, which is where most people may think that she is older than her real age. Actually I think they did make a mistake at this point. She can't really be 14, around the end of the war she was 14, but by now she should obviously be older... Like 15-16. Still too young though.

Modified by Major_Gilbert, Feb 7, 3:31 PM



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 3:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2688
This was an okay episode. I didn't particular care about the princess and her arranged marriage. It just wasn't interesting. Violet trying to make a face expression was amusing. The guy at the end is not very happy about her writing letters.
 
Feb 7, 3:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1401
Amazing episode haha. But what were the odds the 2 auto memoir dolls were from the came company xD
And omg... she smiled at the end.



 
Feb 7, 3:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 3413
TL;DR, just write the freaking letters yourself.
 
Feb 7, 3:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
This is the best episode so far, I think. Anyway, does anyone knows why in the episode list still only 6/14 episodes announced? Maybe because KyoAni has planned to make 6 original episodes and the 8 left will be from the novel or what?? Anyone please explain to me
 
Feb 7, 3:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1355
Violet is 14? I thought she would be around 20.

That's an interesting way to show emotions.

Getting those 2 to write the letters themselves to show their true feeling was definitely the right thing to do.

Now that is true love, what a great proposal.

Wow that was quite an intense & personal ending.
 
Feb 7, 3:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 275
Oh, I guess that makes sense that she's so young. She'd be expected to get married if she was around 18 or 19 and that hasn't been brought up (until now). Even so, a full-time job at 14 is impressive! Better she looks too old than too young imo.

The princess's love story was sweet. Her bond with Alberta was so wonderful ;-;
She's pretty sassy and irreverent, the complete opposite of Violet. Speaking of which, we saw a bit more change in Violet. She even smiled at the end of the episode!!

!!A new challenger appears!!! Just let her write letters in peace!!
 
Feb 7, 3:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Was that megumi nakajima as charlotte? she sounds like her but less like ranka and more refined.
 
Feb 7, 4:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 405
Wait... huh? What? Violet is around 14? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and only say that she made nice strides in being a competent Doll. That cliffhanger at the end got me interested for the next ep.
GAHAHAHA

Fellow weebs, try my Android puzzle game...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.minusleaf.hybrix
 
Feb 7, 4:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Pretty interesting, but this episode for whatever reason didn't connect with me the way previous episodes have. Also, Charlotte's wedding dress at the end was lit

Excited for the next episodes to see how violet's past is catching up to her.
 
Feb 7, 4:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
spicychile said:
Wait... huh? What? Violet is around 14? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and only say that she made nice strides in being a competent Doll. That cliffhanger at the end got me interested for the next ep.


Ikr didn't hear that let's just keep going thank you very much
 
Feb 7, 4:23 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1430
the framing and editing were fantastic in this episode, pretty kino imo
 
Feb 7, 4:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
spicychile said:
Wait... huh? What? Violet is around 14? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and only say that she made nice strides in being a competent Doll. That cliffhanger at the end got me interested for the next ep.


There's a reason why she was called a 'child'...



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 4:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 688
the fact that she did write that cool letter at the start seemed a little too advanced, i was like,,,did i even watch last episode? =D

other than that i enjoyed the episode quite a bit
some favorite new girls from spring season
 
Feb 7, 4:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
i was taken completely out of the experience and unninmersed after violet said "about fourteen" that has no logic how ever you look at it
 
Feb 7, 4:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 160
This week, we see another heartfelt, yet simple story about a different aspect of love. The visuals/color palette that this episode decided to take was also striking and very beautiful.

I just realized, each episode's aesthetic is based on the color design of the character that is focused on:

Episode 1 - Introduction to Violet - Light, pale greens are meant to represent a new beginning for Violet as a character, as well as the Major's eyes

Episode 2 - Erica Brown - more subdued browns and greys to contrast Violet's peculiar characteristics with the dull, post-war world of Leiden as well as Erica's struggles with her sense of self-worth.

Episode 3 - Luculia Marlborough - oranges and red from the scenes atop the bell tower during sunset and Luculia's hair

Episode 4 - Iris Canary - Earthy colors like muted green, blues and grey to represent Iris' home and a sense of bittersweet nostalgia relating to family

Episode 5 - Princess Charlotte - Pale pinks, purples, and blues to symbolize royalty as well as early blooming love

This show continues to impress me with its visual presentation, as well as its simple, straightforward storytelling. My only complaint would be that the plot and development is on the slow side, but that is to be expected with a show like this. I would also like to see a bit more development with the male characters, which looks like we will see next episode!
"Anime is trash and so am I."
 
Feb 7, 4:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 727
Watching an exchange of letters felt refreshing for me.
Hate Keeps me warm
 
Feb 7, 4:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6313
This was such a beautiful episode! It covered both romantic love and parental love in a single episode! It may seem Violet didn't do much but not only she initiated the idea, her helping Charlotte to write letters took Charlotte to the point where she could just start writing on her own. It was really wonderfully handled if we pay attention.

Charlotte being 14 years old and having 10 years difference is nothing considering the pseudo time this anime is showing. Well, even in these days, people get married in wider age difference.

Another impressive part was how Alberta took a breath and upped her chin before entering Charlotte's room for the final time. It was incredible. She may not be her mother but that's what she was to Charlotte and perhaps considered Charlotte as her own daughter which she didn't show on her face in front Charlotte. The moment Charlotte gracefully took Alberta's hand was so beautiful.



Fun Fact: Alberta is known as "Wild Rose Country".

The last segment makes me think the anime will now enter the original content.

Bumped my rating back to 9/10 again. I wonder whether I will continue swinging my rating for this anime over the whole season!

 
Feb 7, 4:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
i have to say tho violet smile was beautiful
 
Feb 7, 5:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Rinkx said:
reziar said:
Where are you guys watching this?


I live in Indonesian, and there is a website called anitoki who had the subs avaliable.


Oh I see, thanks :)
 
Feb 7, 5:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Major_Gilbert said:
Nine_ZnT said:






Yep. That's what I have been waiting for the whole time.
Modified by Nine_ZnT, Feb 7, 5:09 PM
 
Feb 7, 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6313
Rinkx said:
Anyway, this episode's princess looks really similar to Ai from Kyoukai no Kanata for me.

You are not the only one! She did look like Ai-chan!


"Thanks for noticing me!"


winddevil1 said:
the fact that she did write that cool letter at the start seemed a little too advanced, i was like...did i even watch last episode? =D


At the start of the episode Claudia mentioned that Violet has already been working for months and completed a lot of assignments as a doll during that time. I am glad that we moved on from Violet being a novice doll.

 
Feb 7, 5:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
shanimebib said:
This was such a beautiful episode! It covered both romantic love and parental love in a single episode! It may seem Violet didn't do much but not only she initiated the idea, her helping Charlotte to write letters took Charlotte to the point where she could just start writing on her own. It was really wonderfully handled if we pay attention.

Charlotte being 14 years old and having 10 years difference is nothing considering the pseudo time this anime is showing. Well, even in these days, people get married in wider age difference.

Another impressive part was how Alberta took a breath and upped her chin before entering Charlotte's room for the final time. It was incredible. She may not be her mother but that's what she was to Charlotte and perhaps considered Charlotte as her own daughter which she didn't show on her face in front Charlotte. The moment Charlotte gracefully took Alberta's hand was so beautiful.



Fun Fact: Alberta is known as "Wild Rose Country".

The last segment makes me think the anime will now enter the original content.

Bumped my rating back to 9/10 again. I wonder whether I will continue swinging my rating for this anime over the whole season!


I'm pretty happy with the deep emphasis on flowers in this work. They've done well in trying to relate the new characters with names of flowers, show numerous scenes of flowers and in this episode they've gone a step further with flower-related countries.

From this point onward, anything could happen. I didn't expect them to meet so early on, and that may as well change the story even more, I mean this in an interesting way.
Modified by Major_Gilbert, Feb 7, 5:14 PM



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 5:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 197
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.
 
Feb 7, 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 718
after all these episodes the show got me the idea of that the main plot is "understanding love/love 101 with violet", but the ending of this episode was so good

bloody past of violet and her personality is probably what keeps me going with this show
 
Feb 7, 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 342
Beautifully crafted episode as always. There was a timeskip and Violet is now top tier writer. Interesting how she could write love letters like that without understanding what it is.

Kind of weird that both kingdoms had to hire a doll from another country. You would expect a kingdom should have at least 1 capable writer.

V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.


Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.
Modified by UImoetard, Feb 7, 5:43 PM
 
Feb 7, 5:41 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 38
Best episode so far. I liked it quite a lot.
 
Feb 7, 5:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
chunng said:
Beautifully crafted episode as always. There was a timeskip and Violet is now top tier writer. Interesting how she could write love letters like that without understanding what it is.

Kind of weird that both kingdoms had to hire a doll from another country. You would expect a kingdom should have at least 1 capable writer.

V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.


Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.


There is always a reason why some people want the original content to be adapted. Some chapters are simply better than some of the episodes so far. I'd say most of them are better than episode 2 and 4. But I must admit, episode 3 and 5 have been done pretty well.



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 6:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 197
chunng said:


Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.


Yes, it does to me. People have been praising the source material so much and they keep saying how it's so much better than the original stuff, so I'd like to experience it in animated form.
 
Feb 7, 6:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1250
V0ltg said:
chunng said:


Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.


Yes, it does to me. People have been praising the source material so much and they keep saying how it's so much better than the original stuff, so I'd like to experience it in animated form.


Who knows you might be one of those people who may be really disappointed. KyoAni have really tried hard to fit this one in with the adventures and they have been successful.
If my prediction is right, the next episode would be the perfect time for novel content to be adapted. As for which chapter I do not know.
Modified by Major_Gilbert, Feb 7, 6:16 PM



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
Feb 7, 7:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4883
An absolutely lovely episode.
The power of words.
The beauty of letters written straight from the heart.

Next week's episode seems like it's going to be pretty damn heavy.
 
Feb 7, 7:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 457
Delightful episode!

Violet's age reveal threw me, though.

At least Violet had a day that she smiled before her past (it seems) will return to haunt her next week.
The sword that takes life gives life
 
Feb 7, 7:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 274
Dunno about you but violet without her doll uniform actually look like she is l 15-16 years old
 
Feb 7, 7:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 67
spicychile said:
Wait... huh? What? Violet is around 14? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and only say that she made nice strides in being a competent Doll. That cliffhanger at the end got me interested for the next ep.

She said 'probably' though.

Like who knows how long ago she was being called 14.

Considering her circumstances, she probably didn't even kept track of her age.
 
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »