Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Interviews with Monster Girls
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 2017 6:39 PM

Dec 2013
I showed the second episode of this show to a group of my college friends (two of which have watched anime in the past) and they were very unimpressed. While I felt it to be an enjoyable show, I was at a lost of words explaining what made it so good.

Based off the single episode they saw, they believe it to be shallow, with no character development or interesting dialogue.

So I ask all those watching this show, why are you watching this show? Is it to see another monster girl harem? Is it to see these girls find their way in human society? Is it to see the protagonist solve their problems?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2017 6:44 PM

Jun 2014
LilGreasyKid said:
I showed the second episode of this show to a group of my college friends (two of which have watched anime in the past) and they were very unimpressed. While I felt it to be an enjoyable show, I was at a lost of words explaining what made it so good.

Based off the single episode they saw, they believe it to be shallow, with no character development or interesting dialogue.

So I ask all those watching this show, why are you watching this show? Is it to see another monster girl harem? Is it to see these girls find their way in human society? Is it to see the protagonist solve their problems?

What is the point to watching any show?.......

Like, seriously!
Jan 24, 2017 8:40 PM
Mar 2014
I think the somewhat decent comedy and sex appeal the show presents to us is what make us watch it. At least for me. And I mean, yes this is totally another monster girl harem show but is not so grotesque and exaggerated as the previous one.
Examples of sex appeal in the show:
-It actually made me wander how could it be to have sex with a dullahan, which the show pointed out aswell. (It could be pritty great tbh)
-I would like to see the little vampire develop his sexual attraction and see what happens next.
-I'm waiting to see the succub fucking losing it and go wild. And what would happen next aswell.
-For the Snow girl there wasnt really anything yet so there's that.
There is a little problem and is that the MC is a grown ass man, and most of the cast are schoolgirls. Not to judge (and not to say that a 30-ish man can't go crazy with a student) but Im pritty sure that is just fetish based. And it's often not well seen, obviously.
Aside from that detail, the show is good if you are searching good ecchi and comedy I guess. And I say "good ecchi" because is not that cheap ass pantyshot ecchi you have slipping through the tiles in every corner. There is not a single pantyshot or anything close to that in the show yet. It's more of a psychological thing.
Jan 24, 2017 8:51 PM

Mar 2015
It probably didn't appeal to your tastes.
Jan 24, 2017 9:23 PM

Mar 2016
For me, so far the point of watching the show has been seeing how it portrays the lives of people with disabilities, except in a more "magical realism" allegorical sort of way.

EDIT: Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm reading too much into the show lol.
Jan 24, 2017 9:35 PM
Mar 2014
For me, so far the point of watching the show has been seeing how it portrays the lives of people with disabilities, except in a more "magical realism" allegorical sort of way.

EDIT: Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm reading too much into the show lol.[/quote]

You may be. Lol
Jan 25, 2017 3:46 PM
Feb 2009
To me, the point is to get my monster girl fix. Plus, it's a relaxing slice of life with interesting characters. No need to overthink it - fun things are fun, cute things are cute.
Jan 25, 2017 3:49 PM

Sep 2016
yeah im also not impressed
art and character design look so bland
it's not cute enough to be moe
not funny enough to be comedy
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 25, 2017 3:54 PM

May 2014
It's kind of like an iyashikei(calming) fix for me. There is absolutely nothing impressive about the characters, not even their traits. It's clinical in its approach and does portray those experiences of feeling like an outcast, but also validating such interests.

Sometimes you just need the simple things in life to enjoy yourself.
Jan 25, 2017 9:01 PM

Dec 2013
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the different viewpoints.

ThugKamishiro said:
Your friends probably enjoyed it deep down and didn't want to admit it.

But on a serious note you're more likely to be influenced by the viewpoints of others when watching or reading something in a group.

Not everything has to have some profound meaning behind it. Just watch it if it entertains you.

Huh, I never thought of it like that.
Jan 25, 2017 10:20 PM

Oct 2014
[quote=There is a little problem and is that the MC is a grown ass man, and most of the cast are schoolgirls. Not to judge (and not to say that a 30-ish man can't go crazy with a student) but Im pritty sure that is just fetish based. And it's often not well seen, obviously.[/quote]

Actually a 30 year old man can't "go crazy" with a student, whether it's a child or an adult. If it's a child, then that's illegal and it's the adult's responsibility to not do something like that with the student. Even if they're both adults, teachers are prohibited from being in a relationship with students because it puts them in an unequal power structure. There are times when you can mind your business about someone's preferences. This is not one of those times.
Jan 25, 2017 10:24 PM

Oct 2014
ThunderWrath said:
I think the somewhat decent comedy and sex appeal the show presents to us is what make us watch it. At least for me. And I mean, yes this is totally another monster girl harem show but is not so grotesque and exaggerated as the previous one.
-It actually made me wander how could it be to have sex with a dullahan, which the show pointed out aswell. (It could be pritty great tbh)
-I would like to see the little vampire develop his sexual attraction and see what happens next.
-I'm waiting to see the succub fucking losing it and go wild. And what would happen next aswell.
There is a little problem and is that the MC is a grown ass man, and most of the cast are schoolgirls. Not to judge (and not to say that a 30-ish man can't go crazy with a student) but Im pritty sure that is just fetish based. And it's often not well seen, obviously.
Aside from that detail, the show is good if you are searching good ecchi and comedy I guess. And I say "good ecchi" because is not that cheap ass pantyshot ecchi you have slipping through the tiles in every corner. There is not a single pantyshot or anything close to that in the show yet. It's more of a psychological thing.

Actually a 30 year old man can't "go crazy" with a student, whether it's a child or an adult. If it's a child, then that's illegal and it's the adult's responsibility to not do something like that with the student. Even if they're both adults, teachers are prohibited from being in a relationship with students because it puts them in an unequal power structure. There are times when you can mind your business about someone's preferences. This is not one of those times.
Jan 25, 2017 10:30 PM

Aug 2012
I watch it to see how these girls find their way in human society. After ep 1 I dropped it because I dont found anything interesting about it. The succubus is too damn shy, while the teacher ridiculously claimed its hard to find a demi-human despite having a Dullahan walking around the school etc.
The artwork not appealing, the colouring is dull like the company is running on low budget. I do not hate it, I do not think its too boring to watch nor its a torture if I was forced to watch it. Its just didn't fulfill my standard and expectation.
"Fear is not evil. It tells you what weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder."
Jan 27, 2017 12:49 AM

Feb 2014
Sometimes I think people read too much into a show.

I think this show is just an easy watch - it doesnt require much thought to digest what the show is giving you - I kind of just take it at face value.

There isnt a lot of conflict, the characters are quite lighthearted and enjoyable. The plot certainly doesnt offer anything special or new but you know what - I honestly dont mind. I am actually quite enjoying this, sometimes it's nice to be able to take a break from intense shows with heavy plots or those that require a lot of thought to digest and just relax with something simple :)
Jan 27, 2017 1:51 AM

Apr 2015
It Is A Lighthearted Show I Suppose.I Like Its Comedy And Pretty Much Love To Watch It..
Jan 27, 2017 2:09 AM

Apr 2012
LilGreasyKid said:
One mistake I see here, although a small one, is having shown an episode out of the blue. The amount of world-building and character setting in the first episode is huge, and it allows you to understand the dynamics of the human-demi relationship which is why you can feel for Macchi so much in episode 2.

It reminds me when some guy showed me bits of the Accel World OVAs out of nowhere (I had barely heard about the show before), and was like "wtf is that weeb shit", but when you know the characters, the stakes, and you're used to the design, it's actually quite decent.
Jan 28, 2017 7:04 AM

Dec 2013
What's the point of your life? what's the point of this world? What's the point of everything that exist?

This question is stupid and pointless so are you and your friends.
Jan 28, 2017 11:06 AM

Nov 2014
This show is super average, pretty much just another pedo harem bait

Jan 28, 2017 11:37 AM

Dec 2013
First of all I think the English title for this anime is totally wrong or unsuitable (I don't know Japanese)they are Demi-human not monsters it's not another "monster museum" harem.

These girls are only little different from other and they have their own share of problems dealing with it,
of course it is always difficult to be different, some people will not accept you, some will be jealous of you and some will treat you different thinking that they are considerable , It's like when some one has a disability and people trying to be over kind or overprotective, I think this anime is it trying to deal with that aspect of society.
these girls biology teacher is interesting in Demi-human and try to interact with them because he just want to know more about them and help them not to build any harem.some time girls in school might develop some crash on their teacher, I think that is totally normal, what is important is what the teacher do, their teacher here never thought sexual of them.

The problem because we have too much harem animes , any anime with more then one girl liking one Man become automatically harem.

Also really man they assumed there is no characters development after one episode, and dialogue is not interesting, the most interesting thing in this anime is the dialogue.

AlhakamJan 28, 2017 11:59 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2017 12:01 PM

Nov 2009
raegazel said:

I don't think you're reading too much. This anime pretty obviously carries some message along these lines.
Demi are not necessarily a metaphor for disability (it might just as easily be metaphor for foreigners or not a metaphor for anything in particular), but it does carry this line of thought.

I like this message. I like seeing people getting through "life" situations. I like the general "heartwarming" vector this anime has. That's enough to watch it.
I do not recommend watching it with friends. Watching with friends mostly works for comedies, otherwise any show becomes a comedy.
Jan 28, 2017 12:03 PM
Jun 2014
The audience learns about each girl's demi traits and how each copes with them, but as part of a greater attempt to understand each character as a person and not solely just to satisfy one's curiosity towards something or someone out of the ordinary. Takahashi's conversation with Himari pretty eloquently encapsulates this need to look past but not ignore a person's special traits, because the consequences of those traits are part of what makes up their lives and thus themselves as people.

The fact that this story takes such a thorough look at their lives, such as the ways Machi deals with her handicaps, and how Satou's nature has shaped her social life to such a drastic degree, is impressive to me in how far they think this through.

This is combined with the charming heroines and the main character who is a mature, mentor-like figure to them. There's a calm and professional but compassionate demeanor to their dynamic that I like.

Those are the reasons why I like this series.
Jan 28, 2017 12:13 PM
Sep 2016
ThunderWrath said:

No, this is exactly how you're supposed to read it, since it *is* an allegory.
Jan 28, 2017 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
Because it's fun, characrers and they seiyuus are awesome. That's all I need.
rsc-plJan 29, 2017 12:34 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 28, 2017 8:44 PM

Oct 2014
LilGreasyKid said:

And thus is the reason why I keep my 3 episodes rule tight.

1st episode I have to agree felt pretty bland.
But ever since 2nd episode they've been steadily building each of the girls. But it's not just that; They also subtle-ly build the social working of the world, and how it can affect them greatly. (the long explanation... read all the posts before me.)

Plus I love Hikari.
Revvie-chanJan 28, 2017 8:57 PM
Jan 29, 2017 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
Off topic, but... seriously, what's wrong with those reviews. Why do such people have to write such shitty reviews for a great show like this one. At least 80% of people commenting on the forum rate each episode as "Loved it" yet the reviewers give it 4-6/10?! And I can't even downvote those reviews. It's annoying.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jan 29, 2017 11:21 AM
Sep 2014
Cz this show is easy watch and enjoyable. .just imagine how if demi-human joining to human society (on slice of life side. .not like Monmusu)
Jan 29, 2017 12:45 PM

Jan 2015
What's the point of this thread? Everyone has its own reasons to watch this show
Jan 30, 2017 3:26 AM

Oct 2014
LilGreasyKid said:

Well, it too early to conclude that there's no character development. Watch it till the end first.
Jan 30, 2017 4:15 AM
Jun 2015
>watch one episode
>immediately say that no charater or plot developement

okay then...

Everyone have different taste, just because you enjoy doesn't mean that your friends will enjoy it, too.
Jan 30, 2017 6:04 AM
Nov 2016
The point is too feel good about yourself. Watching the protagonist solve their problems, it makes me feel good.
Jan 30, 2017 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
You're jumping a bit here though. Of course you can't expect character development immediately on the first episode, shows like these tends to develop the characters as the progress goes on with the show along, if that makes sense.

At least you would need some characterization or characteristics to get the idea of what the characters are, and then from there get the character development. On another note, I personally watch this series because aside from the moe-esque type, it has some sort of messages which I personally can relate to the characters.
Jan 30, 2017 6:43 AM

Apr 2016
This almost applies to any other SoL anime out there.SoL is a character driven genre there's not a stable plot most of the time.You just follow how characters deal with everyday situtations and maintain their relationships.Also character development doesn't happen in 1 episode.
Jan 30, 2017 6:43 AM

Sep 2012
Well, probably many will think shit of what I'm about to say, but it's the truth: I don't know who or HOW your friends are. But I suppose they don't really belong to a minority (if they do, probably in just 1 aspect) if they really didn't enjoy it. This is an anime that talks about being a minority, its joys and its sadness and its problems, fears... I'm a minority in, idk, maybe 5 ways, so I'm enjoying this anime a lot.
However, you don't need to belong a minority to like this kind of story, this representation, and yet for many it just isn't interesting. Some people prefer shounen, some prefer horror.. You can't please everyone.
And some are watching for, let's say, the wrong reason, but I won't talk about it here.
As some people are saying, you can't just watch 1 episode and say the characters and plot don't have development. .-. I actually couldn't disagree more with your friends, I think the exact opposite: the characters of this anime have a personality that even surprised me.
Well, that's it I guess. It has good characters, a good plot, it's funny, it's sweet and has drama. In my view, it's almost perfect.

Joido said:
Your friends probably enjoyed it deep down and didn't want to admit it .

Yeah, that's pretty possible too.
Jan 30, 2017 10:33 AM

May 2010
Tell me what's point of breathing.

Also why would you show its 2nd episode to your friends and not the first? Weird. And wow, your friends judging the whole show based on that ep made you wanna make this thread as if you are questioning humanity how dare you enjoy one good serious harem comedy in a while.

Nice bait.
Jan 30, 2017 10:36 AM

Oct 2014
What's the point of this thread?
Jan 30, 2017 12:14 PM
Mar 2014
plutodiplomat said:
ThunderWrath said:

Who cares? I said a 30 years old adult, professor or not, can go wild with a student. It happened and it will happen. Law is secondary and it does only matter if they are caugh.
The moral... lol.
Jan 31, 2017 8:46 AM

Oct 2014
ThunderWrath said:
plutodiplomat said:

Who cares? I said a 30 years old adult, professor or not, can go wild with a student. It happened and it will happen. Law is secondary and it does only matter if they are caugh.
The moral... lol.

You said "not that I'm judging" on a an adult who would try to have a sexual relationship with a child. I would judge an adult who would try to have a sexual relationship with a child. One of the main ways sexual assault is allowed to happen is when people excuse it or act like it's normal. It's not. Sexual assault is a serious violation and the people who commit it should be punished and held as an example of what happens when people commit sexual assault. And if it shows up in media without being addressed seriously, then people will think they can get away with it. Never excuse sexual assault, because that's how people get away with it.
Jan 31, 2017 8:47 PM
Mar 2014
plutodiplomat said:
ThunderWrath said:

The moral... lol.

You said "not that I'm judging" on a an adult who would try to have a sexual relationship with a child. I would judge an adult who would try to have a sexual relationship with a child. One of the main ways sexual assault is allowed to happen is when people excuse it or act like it's normal. It's not. Sexual assault is a serious violation and the people who commit it should be punished and held as an example of what happens when people commit sexual assault. And if it shows up in media without being addressed seriously, then people will think they can get away with it. Never excuse sexual assault, because that's how people get away with it.

Yes. But I don't know why you are pointing this out. There is no assault, and there are no children.
Feb 2, 2017 5:51 AM

Dec 2013
TragicRomance said:

Also why would you show its 2nd episode to your friends and not the first? Weird. And wow, your friends judging the whole show based on that ep made you wanna make this thread as if you are questioning humanity how dare you enjoy one good serious harem comedy in a while.

Nice bait.
RedInfinity said:

I was genuinely curious about other people's experience with the show. Furthermore, their comments encouraged me to examine my anime viewing experience from a new perspective. Looking for meaning in a text or show allows for a deeper connection with the work. One of the reason why I usually do not enjoy SoL shows is because I find their aimless plots and shallow premises to be tedious and without the meaning I find in other genres. Thus far, that is not the case with Demi-chan.

As for the second episode, I was about to start watching that episode anyway, so I just invited my roommates to sit with me. No big deal.
Feb 2, 2017 8:35 AM

Oct 2014
LilGreasyKid said:
TragicRomance said:

Nice bait.
RedInfinity said:

I was genuinely curious about other people's experience with the show. Furthermore, their comments encouraged me to examine my anime viewing experience from a new perspective. Looking for meaning in a text or show allows for a deeper connection with the work. One of the reason why I usually do not enjoy SoL shows is because I find their aimless plots and shallow premises to be tedious and without the meaning I find in other genres. Thus far, that is not the case with Demi-chan.

As for the second episode, I was about to start watching that episode anyway, so I just invited my roommates to sit with me. No big deal.

If that is the case, then your friends simply have a taste different to yours. You must always be aware of who you are watching something with and what the needs of the individuals are.

Clearly if you are asking for 'why do people enjoy a show' you will get a different answer each time, as there is no correct answer. Similarly you enjoyed it for a reason, of which was not agreed upon by your friends. As simple as that.
Feb 2, 2017 10:44 AM

Oct 2014
ThunderWrath said:
plutodiplomat said:

Yes. But I don't know why you are pointing this out. There is no assault, and there are no children.

Because this series has a loose attitude about child-adult relationships and it's good to point it out that it's a problem.
Feb 2, 2017 2:09 PM

Jan 2016
LilGreasyKid said:

So I ask all those watching this show, why are you watching this show?

Drinking some beer and calming down on the weekend while having some visual&audio happening going on, that doesnt require any concentration or care in order to follow the plot and characters.
So I really enjoyed Episode 3? seeing succubus-sensei also enjoys a few cans of beer.
slkrdFeb 2, 2017 2:39 PM
Feb 3, 2017 11:41 AM
Dec 2015
I mean your friends are complaining about character development after watching 1 episode? You can't tell if characters will develop until you get into it a bit. For the interesting dialogue, episodes 3 and 4 completely delivered on that front, and turned some confrontations I thought would be standard and lame into something really emotional and relevant.

The show seems to be about minorities. It depicts people as generally accepting of them, but unsure of how to interact with them. People want to talk about the things that make them different, but others are afraid that doing so will offend them. It also shows that minorities tend to understand each other more and will stick with each other if necessary. I love how it depicts the issue from both sides: the people who want to talk about differences and fit in, and those who want to help minorities feel they fit in but are afraid to take the first step. It's an interesting take on this very relevant conflict, and its presented in a funny, cute, and heartwarming way with a cool monster girl twist. It does have some harem elements, but they don't seem to be the focus. Ultimately, this is the appeal, at least for me.
Feb 6, 2017 9:12 AM

Sep 2013
The author is writing his version of monster girls and their legends.
He treats them as disease/mutations instead of real monsters.
Feb 6, 2017 10:12 AM

Jul 2009
Just a question, this is not a harem right? The girls won't all fall for the teacher, right?
Feb 7, 2017 6:06 AM

Mar 2009
bittersweetlove said:
Just a question, this is not a harem right? The girls won't all fall for the teacher, right?

Well, I think the three of them sort of have a crush on him, including the succubus teacher. But there's no recriprocation. Can't see it turning into a harem.
Feb 7, 2017 6:20 AM

Mar 2008
It's an average SoL about some students falling in love by their professor and a reference about preconception in schools. It's not that good, but I keep watching 'cause the vampire is kawaiiness.
Feb 7, 2017 8:29 AM

Oct 2016
I believe shallow is the person who can't see the purpose of entertainment.
Feb 7, 2017 3:31 PM

Oct 2015
For some reason I see this show telling a bit different story than it really looks like. The supernatural folklore looks more like a shiny wrap to look more attractive to viewers. But the topics discussed here are more closer to issues people with special needs or disabilities would have, how they overcome them to enjoy life.
Or I might be digging too deep and this is just show about cute girls. But kinda good show of that genre.
Feb 9, 2017 6:50 PM

Sep 2016
I also got that vibe, like this show is a really well-obfuscated discussion of diversity and disability. I wonder how well this anime is being received in Japan, given that AFAIK that country is still lagging a bit behind most Western countries with respect to those topics. It feels like a suitable wake-up call show.
Yet these hands will never hold anything.
Thus I pray, Unlimited Waifu Works!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

94 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 8, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2017

216 by VetrandR »»
Apr 11, 4:58 AM

» This series would probably be better with at least SOME ecchi... ( 1 2 )

--ALEX-- - Feb 14, 2017

55 by tectacles »»
Feb 18, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

147 by tectacles »»
Jan 31, 5:57 AM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

142 by tectacles »»
Jan 30, 7:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.