Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 4, 2016 1:01 PM
Apr 2014
Rei's step-sister has serious problems. Manipulative bitch... Like she gives a fuck about him. I hope he knows that and doesn't take the shit she says to heart.

Also wtf was that. "We lived in the same house for ten years and I barely know anything about you". Yea maybe you shouldn't have harassed him all the time if you wanted to know more about him.

Incredible swing of mood between the two halves of this episode. The first part was pretty funny. I was honestly surprised when Rei didn't tell Nikaido to stop talking about how "they" taught the girls well for their first lesson :D
Dec 4, 2016 1:31 PM

Feb 2007
Nikaidou is more talented than expected, it seems. Nice!

Kyouko is... interesting. That last bit clearly shows she still harbors quite a lot of her bitter feelings towards Rei, but at the same time, we could see that in a way she also still cares about him and her family. And it's good to see she would not take any abuse from her man, even if her way of payback makes her scary as hell.
Dec 4, 2016 5:58 PM

Mar 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Man Kyouko is a fucking bitch.

But damn id tap dat tho. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dat b*tch has a boyfriend. You don't want to get on Gotou's bad side ...
-- Rich
Dec 4, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2009
HIGAN0 said:
probably i am the only one who like kyoko........

Nah. A few people in the thread seem to like her, or are otherwise drawn to her. She's a very compelling character.

Kyouko's bad news, but she's also strangely alluring. She's alluring to Rei, and she's also alluring to the audience. Shaft did a great job at highlighting this with their usual visual prowess.

If Akari is motherly and loving, then Kyouko is the antithesis of that. She plays games with Rei's head, remarking on how the futon doesn't have his scent yet. She also gets under his skin with lines like, "It's not like you have any connections here, right?" Kyouko's scary because she almost seems to understand Rei perfectly. She can easily dismantle his psyche. And she does it with various comments here and there throughout the episode; another example is her talking about the old man Rei is going to play against. She really knows how to twist the knife is what I'm saying. And it's almost done in a casual way.

And yet, Kyouko has affection for Rei. And Rei obviously has affection for her. You can tell just by their body language, and of course Rei's concern when he asks Kyouko about her boyfriend. They have a very dynamic and interesting relationship. Rei's drawn to her, but it's very bad for him!

Umino Chika does a great job at depicting a very unhealthy and toxic relationship. And Shaft nailed the tone by making Kyouko - and the scenes involving her - quite captivating.
Dec 4, 2016 10:23 PM

Jun 2012
Kyouko just needs a good dicking to set her straight.
Dec 4, 2016 11:27 PM

Oct 2016
that cunt .. how can she expect rei to get along with her if she treated rei like shit when they were young .. not cool..
Dec 4, 2016 11:40 PM
Jan 2015
I can't help, but like Kyouko...I mean she is a terrible person, but still terrible people can still be amazing characters and likable in their own way.
My Queens

Dec 5, 2016 3:39 AM

Nov 2013
i've been thinking about watching bakemonogatari...and the scenes with them in the room kinda made me want to watch it even more now lol
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 5, 2016 4:36 AM

Jan 2008
Kyoko seems like an interesting character. But I do not like her much because she is awful.

Rei and Nikaidou could be such Great friends if Rei would not doubt himself so much
Dec 5, 2016 4:49 AM

Jun 2016
Kyouko is pretty intimidating. The last scene with her, she is just influencing Rei on a mental level, presenting him with a real dilemma. Can't really blame her for being so mean. After all, it seemed her father had a better connection with Rei than with her, no wonder she is acting like that.
Dec 5, 2016 5:54 AM

Feb 2014
Nikaidou is one selfless and big-hearted guy. His talent for drawing really is great with his cat shogi book. His gift for Rei to liven up his apartment was also very kind of him. If Rei opened up a little more, then I would believe that he'll finally accept Nikaidou as a friend, and what a friend to have! =D

However, the second half of the episode got very intense with the arrival of Kyouko. She's got a gifted body, but her attitude really stinks. By the looks of it, Rei must've got into a fight against her boyfriend Gotou and lost. Maybe Rei was defending Kyouko for some reason, so I'm hoping more light will be shown on Kyouko and her dickbag BF in the future.

She has a love/hate relationship with Rei though. She cares enough about seeing him living on his own, but then decides to mess up his mental mind about Rei's next shogi opponent, which is a low blow for her. I hope Rei can win this match now.
Dec 5, 2016 6:21 AM
Jul 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Can you find the shogi song on YouTube somewhere? I kinda want to save it but I can't find it atm

we have to wait for it to be released
Dec 5, 2016 12:23 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kyouko is one nasty, manipulating, mindplaying bitch from hell...but...but she's the kind of fiendish out of this world beauty that would make me throw sanity out the window and get into all sorts of trouble with her. Woof!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 5, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2012
It makes me so nervous when Kyoko is around Rei. It's like she manipulates him and only makes him feel guilty and more depressed. And still he kind of likes her.
I kind of love this whole situation though. I wanna know more about their relationship. Back in episode 4 when Rei saw Hina in love he remembered a scene were Kyouko was taking off his glasses and apparently trying to take off his shirt. She seems like a thunder, indeed. A hurricane. Something pretty and that you love, but that also makes you miserable. It's all so interesting.
Dec 5, 2016 2:17 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
lol Nikaido sure is having fun teaching Hinata and Momo shogi
still the explanations of the pieces was pretty funny and informative

hmm so upon reaching the enemy camp the pawn's can get promoted eh
wow and Nikaido wrote it and illustrated it himself eh

For the first day i think they did pretty well
so Nikaido is trying to break Rei out of his crisis eh
lol Nikaido is moving straight into Rei's apartment

lol the comments of Rei's two friends at the shogi hall
but yea Nikaido there yelling at Rei for his sake was beautiful
friendship is always a good thing

man getting back up rank is shogi sure is hard
especially if you suffered a number of losses

Rei needs to find his motivation and drive to succedd in Shogi
just like Nikaido did

Its nice that the gran is also motivated to get better as well
such is the power of shogi

hmm Kyouko just showing up out of the blue
this will be trouble
Kyouko's being so coy there despite all she has done to him

hmm the heart to heart with Kyouko was pretty interesting
at least here she's just curious and not hostile
but man Kyouko is really pushing her luck here
But Rei is ill suited to deal with her

No i doubt that Kyouko will take being abused well given her personality
Kyouko's attitude here really stinks
she's just as horrible as she was in the past
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2016 2:58 PM

Jul 2015
FinalFlash18 said:

I found Kaori and Arima haha

omg ty. was wondering the whole time what the weird feeling was that i had when i saw the scene. now i know.
the anime gets better and better. the characters are really interesting and understandable (thats why i dont even hate Kyouko and would probably act not much different in her position towards rei). the dark atmosphere is really good.
Galaxy__Dec 6, 2016 5:48 AM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Dec 5, 2016 3:04 PM

Apr 2008
Jut when I thought I couldn't adore Nikaidou anymore!!!!

Smudy said:
That whole Rei - Kyouko sequence was stunning. What a desperate and extraordinary situation.

Ah this perfectly describes it for me - honestly, I was overwhelmed by the last part.
Dec 5, 2016 3:38 PM

Nov 2011
Dear god
Please kill the fucking bitch
Amen
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 5, 2016 5:48 PM

Jan 2011
thought this was the same episode before the delay first half felt same even had that stupid song, second part was good.

Man Kyouko really is such a bitch! but i can't hate the dynamic she brings to this show ...why she gotta be so hot though ( BabyRage!)
Dec 6, 2016 2:18 AM

Nov 2014
Ah~ Best girl (Kyouko) finally appears.
Dec 6, 2016 1:39 PM
Oct 2010
Damn Kyouko, where does she keep that much poison?

But what a great characterization. You can see how enticing and charismatic she is. Kyouko is a great femme fatale... though the type that will sink herself along with those around her. She is pitiful considering how she got like that, but that doesn't make her any less dangerous.

Anyway, I now have the image of Nikaidou and Kyouko playing respectively angel and devil consciousness in Rei's mind.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Dec 6, 2016 8:29 PM

Jul 2009
Missed this through last week :') First part was great and lighthearted - Nikaidou really loves shogi huh? Making a book and illustrating it too :O I'm learning along with you Momo don't worry! XD Plus even getting Rei a nice bed lol, what a good friend :3 Seems like everyone was touched by his outburst on TV as well :P Had Rei reflecting on his (real) Dad, and then ... BAM, yes, Kyouko! I was looking forward to this :D honestly that last chapter was amazingly well done, she's such an interesting character, kind of flirting with Rei but also cutting him pretty deep huh? Seems like she knows just how to play him. Some interesting points that came up: she's apparently seeing his violent guy that Rei fought (?), she seems to really pay attention to what he's doing (his matches, the lack of smell on his blanket) but man, those parting words. Seems like Rei's gonna play against an old guy who's gonna retire if he drops but Rei also needs to win to avoid demotion too ... plus she was basically telling him what would happen if he threw the match too. Pretty clearly Rei cares for her as well, but I mean ... Kyouko saying she'd stab the guy if he hurt her ... oh boy O_O Her voice seemed really familiar too but I couldn't really find any other characters by her seiyuu lol. Oh well, I hope she shows up more often, seems like she can really get some reactions out of Rei :P Looking forward to the next episode!
Dec 6, 2016 10:08 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode, the last few minutes made me so anxious though!
Dec 7, 2016 1:07 AM

Oct 2008
first part was really fun! Nikaidou was the one who wrote and draw that entire book! that was such a great accomplishment!
Also Nikaidou moved-in to sleep with Kiriyama's apartment!
2nd part was crazy also, the room full of adults bawling like babies because of Nikaidou's recording!
Kyouko bitch is here again discouraging Rei before his official match!
5/5.

Dec 7, 2016 5:42 AM

Jun 2008
Axelucard said:
i liked his use of cats to explain shogi and he wrote a book that's actually amazing
I want both the book and the videos that were made from that, subbed of course.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 7, 2016 2:32 PM

Feb 2008
Kyouko's passive-aggressive act even gave me the shivers. Still, the scene was exceedingly beautiful, Kyouko truly is akin to a force of nature.
Dec 7, 2016 6:27 PM

Oct 2013
Glad we can all agree that Kyouko is the best character :^)

Tbh, I expected the negative reactions towards her, but as I said in a previous thread, she is probably the most interesting character in the manga...at least in my eyes.
Also, the Kyouko scene was nicely directed by Shaft. It was almost Bakemonogatari-level in terms of creativity.
Dec 8, 2016 12:17 AM

Jun 2013
Nikaidou is my fave and I'll never get tired saying it either. He's an awesome character, he authored his own book, he looks like Bodoro, etc. I hope he doesn't die. This series would suck without him. He's the Shinobu Morita of this series. Also, I love how Momo-chan admires him so much for looking like Bodoro.

Kyouka is being portrayed as a seductress, I'm confused as to whether or not Rei likes her. There WAS a scene where she was sitting on top of him.
臭い-
Dec 8, 2016 1:44 AM

Nov 2007
not a fan of the voice acting for Kyouko....the tone is just grating on my nerves,it's absolutely overdone.

shogi nya song was also completely unnecessary...i was ok when they had it as ending but putting it in the middle is just meh...ruins the flow.

but otherwise i really enjoyed this ep.
Dec 8, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
When there are "pause" for entertainment value, say it again, you have to enjoy them to the fullest extent, as almost always there after "a bolt from the blue." I imagined that the protagonist Rei was a little smarter than average, even Nikaidou however, is better than him. Although his sister proves a nasty first-rate, I do not feel contempt towards her: I think you're hiding something, even if the revenge his father, the ruin his life if he continues to pose as an adult. This time the episode lasted very little, I have a bitter taste. I begin to understand, "perceiving" it is the right term, what he feels the protagonist during games against opponents of which it knows the situational background. Too funny and easy to understand the lesson on Shogi. XD
Dec 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Jul 2014
when i see Rei & Kyouko, it kinda reminds me of Arima & Kaori from Your Lie in April
BTW another refreshing episode to watch, always hoping to see the upcoming episodes 9/10
Dec 8, 2016 9:14 AM

Feb 2016
skipped the shogi song :D
Argyre said:
Kyouko's passive-aggressive act even gave me the shivers. Still, the scene was exceedingly beautiful, Kyouko truly is akin to a force of nature.

That wasnt passive aggressive though, its a very open act of aggression.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 8, 2016 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
Dishonest said:

She may have known he would interpret her statements as aggression. However, the words themselves were about as passive-aggressive as you can get. "That poor old man. He loves Shogi so much, but if he loses again he'll have to stop playing professionally. And you are such a nice guy."
-- Rich
Dec 8, 2016 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
Mich666 said:
What a strange relationship they have.. I guess something happened between them and her boyfriend got mad?

Anyway, I didn't liked much the first part of this episode, I'm still not fan of comedy surrounding Nikaidou (but I liked that cat insert song as the last time)

But the second part, where his sister arrived was just great (even though it was left open-ended because they split it up into two parts). Inoue Marina does well.

Ragna92 said:
Well, I like her in the sense that she brings an even more darker vibe in the show. I can't see her as anything but a vile person atm though.
It's as if she hates/dislikes Rei but at the same time is obsessed with him.. I definitely look forward to seeing her in the show.

There were small hints of affection here and there though, I guess she still feels something for him. If she didn't care at all she would not come into boy's room so late into the night in the first place. Obsession kinda, yeah, well, maybe, as he's still better shogi player than she ever will be and it's obvious she is still mad about her father choosing him instead.

But I also liked how they manage to portray that Rei's behavior changed dramatically when talking and dealing with her, he was lot more straightforward and less sheepish during that conversation.

I'm just curious why she did not step in during the incident between Rei and her boyfriend. I mean she was obviously concerned when she was checking for scars but what was her concern level when Rei was getting beat down?

I also liked the portrayal of Rei's behavior as well.

When it comes to Nikaidou he really likes Rei, he's passionate abut Shogi and seeing him as a rival. I agree the comedy aspect is kinda meh, but Nikaidou is still a pretty awesome character.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 9, 2016 4:47 PM

May 2015
I missed this show too. It's actually been almost 2 weeks for me since I last saw it since I was super busy this week. Of course, it didn't disappoint. We got to see more of Nikaidou's shogi lessons and even I feel like I understand the game a bit better now. But the second half, now that was fantastic. Kyouko really threw off the atmosphere and I was super scared for Rei from the moment she first appeared outside his apartment. She was super mean and manipulative which made it really interesting to see how Rei would deal with her. The way the scenes were directed also added so much. Shaft doesn't have to hide their style! It only makes the story even better. Also, I love Kyouko's voice actress. Marina Inoue is doing a splendid job portraying her.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Dec 10, 2016 5:08 AM

Feb 2016
r0kus said:
Dishonest said:

She may have known he would interpret her statements as aggression. However, the words themselves were about as passive-aggressive as you can get. "That poor old man. He loves Shogi so much, but if he loses again he'll have to stop playing professionally. And you are such a nice guy."

I agree about that line but the rest of the sequence wasnt ;)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 11, 2016 6:40 AM

Jul 2008
Kyouko is about as awful as they come.
Dec 11, 2016 8:00 PM

Apr 2016
This series has some of the best written and presented dramatic scenes I've ever witnessed in anime. Anytime I feel my interest waning a bit during the more lighthearted scenes, something like that encounter with Kyouko comes along and puts vice grips on my heart. Can't imagine how powerful it could become when shit really goes down, and I have a feeling it'll get there.
Dec 15, 2016 1:17 PM

Mar 2014
Wow Kyouka's such an awful person...

the whole scene was fascinating to look at and listen to though....
Dec 16, 2016 3:51 PM

Oct 2013
This anime is actually amazing me. For some reason, Kyouko is very intriguing to me. I dunno why. Also, the scenes were just breathtakingly stunning. Man...
Dec 24, 2016 6:22 PM

Nov 2015
The second half was stunning.
Kyouko is that kind of girl with a devil personality but too hot to resist.

5/5
Dec 25, 2016 10:29 PM

Jun 2013
Holy crap. Kyouko is... poisonous. That whole chapter with her and Rei was nerve-wracking.
Dec 30, 2016 12:54 AM

Sep 2013
Credit where credit is due. My stomach just sank during the Kyouko scene and nothing even really happened.
Dec 30, 2016 8:34 AM

Feb 2015
Wow, such a contrast between the 2 halves of the episode. The first half was very sweet with Nikaidou, he's such a cool guy. The second half, we got to see Kyouko. A very unsavoury character. She's just got the worst personality, you can tell Rei has very good reason for not wanting her to invite herself into his apartment. Maybe we'll learn more about her?... In any case, Marina Inoue is doing a very good job at voicing someone like her. Suits her well. Similar voices to Yozora Mikazuki or Sodachi Oikura (both of whom I actually like).
Dec 31, 2016 1:30 AM

Apr 2014
That fatso is annoying af! Ruins all the show.
Mar 20, 2017 6:42 AM

Mar 2015
Kyouko is such a toxic presence in Kiriyama's life. Hm

I definitely love the shogi cat themes
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 26, 2017 4:47 AM
Dec 2009
It was so fun learning about shougi through Hina! Nikado is amazing, his love and passion for shougi is great contrast to Rei. Nikado seemed like a generic "annoying" sidekick in his first few appearances but he's turned into one of my favorite characters.
Mar 27, 2017 10:18 AM

Dec 2015
Mich666 said:

There were small hints of affection here and there though, I guess she still feels something for him. If she didn't care at all she would not come into boy's room so late into the night in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that she only visited him that night because of the match tomorrow and the situation Rei's currently in shogi-wise.
He explained earlier how he can't risk losing any matches anymore, seeing as he might be demoted.

Not only did she purposefully guilt trip him by talking about their father, his next opponent and criticizing how he got this place through his connections; she also acted surprised when she saw that he hadn't slept at all.
I use "acted" because she obviously knew that he wouldn't be able to calm down with her in the room and chose this particular night to "haunt" him in order to sabotage his concentration and consequently make him lose his match the next day (possibly resulting in him being demoted at the end).

(Not that she can't still feel affection for Rei but I think the sleepover just wasn't anything like that at all)
Apr 3, 2017 8:35 PM

May 2012
Quite the shaft feeling in the latter of this episode, pretty strange atmosphere as well with his "sister"... Pretty nice first part though, loving those neko songs! Let's see what's next though.
Apr 7, 2017 1:42 AM

Nov 2007
Sallad4ever said:
Feels like I'm the only one who like the shogi song, I think it's cute, funny, have nice visual and actually very informing. I know that shogi is japanese chess but that's all, that's why I like how the song tell about how the piece moves and their character.

Also I'd like that Nikaidou's guide to shogi pls.

Noooo I liked it too! Everyone else just thinks their too "cool/edgy" for that kinda thing I guess

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

180 by Randomega »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

105 by Randomega »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

93 by Randomega »»
Yesterday, 6:38 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2016

97 by Randomega »»
Yesterday, 7:45 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2017

109 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 19, 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.