Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Nov 27, 2016 2:27 PM

May 2009
I wish they did the romance a little better and from what I'm reading on page 7 and 8, it seems like the adaption left out a lot of romance which could've made the show better. I guess 12 episodes just weren't enough.

I still like it, though... just not as a romance.

And Kaoru is such a dickhead. Always dropping some lines which hurt like hell and then going insta regret 5 seconds later. I mean... what the hell was he thinking when he said he's happy about Sentaro not being around anymore? To Sentaro's childhood friend who was in love with him no less. This was infuriating. >8(
It felt like he didn't grow at all in the 2-3 years he spent with both of them. Was kind of painful to watch in some cases. .-.
Dec 26, 2016 11:30 PM

Jun 2015
This is one of the better anime that i have seen in quite awhile.
:)
Jan 7, 2017 10:04 AM

Apr 2015
Just watch the anime, it was great but not perfect. They kinda rush it so it could fit 12 episode. For thus who wants to know more about the ending you should read the manga since there are the scene where you shippers satisfied with.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Mar 16, 2017 7:06 PM
Oct 2015
Well... Animation, Music and Story were 10/10 but the final episodes were really bad.
I think that the lack of episodes affected this anime a lot, i was expecting more music than only 2 or 3 songs... so i am a little dissapointed.
7/10 for me
Mar 27, 2017 6:13 AM
Nov 2014
I liked the first episodes, but it turned into a lousy melodrama anime in the 2nd half plus an unsatisfying ending.

5/10
Apr 2, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
Didn't expect the 8 year skip but it was a pleasant surprise, Kaoru finally finds Sentarou again and Yurika (who's still with Jun and apparently living a good life) even sent Ritsuko a letter and they meet up at the end :)

What a ride despite only being 12 episodes - I fell in love with the music from the start, the Jazz really got this show going.
Sure it had some flaws but that didn't distract from this beautiful friendship we got to experience.
Some of the flaws being; The accident that felt forced to get more drama or the Yurika / Jun relationship.

All in all, the romance could've been delivered a bit better but it's still a 9/10 from me.
Well done "Kids on the Slope"
May 24, 2017 3:21 AM

May 2015
Accelerator48 said:
I liked the first episodes, but it turned into a lousy melodrama anime in the 2nd half plus an unsatisfying ending.

5/10

Melodrama? Nope.

May 25, 2017 5:29 AM

Feb 2013
This was truly epic!
I hated Bon for a bit when he said that he was happy that Sen disappeared, but I got over it.
But I wonder if he and Ritsuko kept in touch all those years.
The ending was perfect, all three reunited!
Jun 10, 2017 9:12 AM
Jul 2016
Wow nice and such beautiful ending. I like it <3
The characters finally find their way
Jul 31, 2017 1:44 PM
Sep 2015
I'm commenting for the first part of the episode.
Kaoru was my favorite character, but I understand why some users hate him. He said he was happy without Sentarou and even though that wasn't true, he shouldn't have said that.
Also, he was definitely trying to rape Riko since her dad was gone.
Jul 31, 2017 1:49 PM
Sep 2015
Accelerator48 said:

Couldn't agree more!
The first two episodes were really touching. The moment the friendship turned into romance, this anime changed completely. I expected more jazz and less drama. The last episodes were such a burden to watch, they made me uncomfortable inside. I'm surprised this is josei amd not shoujo.
Still, this anime gets a 9/10 from me. The animation was perfect. I also loved the Opening!
Aug 21, 2017 4:52 AM

Dec 2014
I can't believe Sentarou ditched everything to go off on his own somewhere to never be heard from again. Nobody would've ever even found him if it wasn't for sheer coincidence. I can't even imagine how Sachiko must feel. She probably blames herself for her brother leaving. The other siblings might even blame her too. This ending just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Hell, we didn't even get the girl in the end!

6/10
Aug 24, 2017 9:29 PM
May 2017
The ending may have been a bit unrealistic, but I still liked it regardless.
Aug 31, 2017 7:26 PM

Mar 2012
Well Sentaro just got screwed over throughout the entire show so there was that.

I came into this thinking there would be a good amount of focus on the music but it was mainly just drama after drama after drama. Sure a conflict was usually resolved rather quickly but the frequency of the conflicts was pretty high. Kaoro came off as an ass most of the time but Jun and Yurika take the cake. Getting screwed over by someone you considered your brother, dam.

Best part is how the only ones that ended up happy (relationship wise) were the Jun and Yurika after cucking Sentaro.
Dec 25, 2017 3:19 PM

Oct 2015
I guess their connection never severed even if after 8yrs. Most of all Kaoru grew to be a Doctor oh man it was great seeing him like that and Sentaro a trainee priest that unexpected. I still don't get why Sentaro ran away, I felt he was being dramatic selfish bastard making my rating to be less. In the end it became a Bromance kind of anime and I see the writer diluted it by bringing Ritsuko into the two( for some audience, to appreciate it). It was a nice anime but I felt like also they were drama bastards in some scenes both of them.

7/10 6/10 from me.

lihle808Dec 25, 2017 3:23 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 26, 2017 7:05 PM

Jun 2015
I hated this ending and it ruined the show even more.
Jan 31, 2018 5:27 AM
Apr 2016
Brother June and Yurika are pieces of shit for what he did to Sen. Rushed ending and rushed parts toward the end. Other than those things, good show. Great music.
Apr 6, 2018 7:22 AM

Dec 2015
This is fine. A few more episodes would have helped but I can live with this. 9.5/10.
~
May 16, 2018 10:55 PM

Feb 2018
Well, the part of the last scene when Sen hears Kaoru playing "Moanin'" was really moving, but somehow the jam scene fell flat.
Overall, I am not a big fan of the couple of the last episodes, they were a bit rushed and not so well-thought.

Though, it was a very enjoyable show, and the festival jam is the scene I will always fondly look back at, it was amazing.
7/10

P.S. Anybody noticed that the chubby guy was the conductor at the train station when Kaoru is going to find Sentaro?
Aug 21, 2018 1:58 PM

Jul 2015
This was one of the best ending episodes to any anime series, it really took me by surprise.
Oct 31, 2018 1:46 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Finish?! Or just a new start!!! kekeke

Well, the last episode, with great changes in the plot and surprises. I didn´t like this end although in general, the series was nice, the rhythm of the narrative, the development of the characters and the music were the strong points.

8/10 is my vote!
Feb 8, 2019 9:03 AM
Jul 2015
The couple episodes almost took this down to a 7. I know this isn't an anime original. They didn't have complete freedom to do this, but for 12 episodes I would have preferred if the accident hadn't happened and the school festival had been the finally. There wasn't enough time to set up this last stretch. It just feels crammed in.
Apr 25, 2019 2:05 PM

Aug 2017
This was a decent final episode. Seeing Kaoru and Sentarou playing jazz in the church was beautiful. The animation of it was top notch as usual. It was good to see where everyone ended up and I was happy to see Yurika was fine. To me this ending was just perfect. Friendship does last huh. I am really gonna miss this anime. I feel like checking out the manga soon :)
May 23, 2019 10:28 AM
Jun 2017
This is my actual third forum entry for this anime but fuck, this was so good for my heart; was not expecting such a complete ending.
Jun 16, 2019 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
Not gonna lie at first I thought that whole 8 year timeskip was beautiful thing and their reunion scene had almost me tears but then realised after a second thought that these scenes like many other drama all were very POORLY EXECUTED. How they underwent whole eight years their hardships like nothing just like only their appearance changed?!

And most importantly my biggest disappointment is that it doesn't do anything unique nor take advantage of cool 60s setting and jazz aspect. 80% of the show's screentime went with misunderstandings and simple love polygon that could better off too suit with many other school shows.

Oh and don't get me started with the characters.. everything feels so calculative. Sen's character initially was promising but then turned into wasted potential. This is where I felt I need to dig manga at some point if they buthered the adaptation or not.
Mar 27, 2020 1:56 AM
Apr 2016
I really can't wrap my head around why Kaoru would say that... Did he do it to make it easier for Ritsuko to part ways? Then why did he regret it right after? Really doesn't make any sense, as he wasn't genuine in the least with it. A happy and nice ending at least, oh well.
May 13, 2020 10:55 AM

Dec 2016
I agree with some comments in this thread, this series turned into a huge mess after that accident, which was a very previsible plot twist.
Kaoru and Sentarou characters became totally unrealistic after that.
May 31, 2020 1:30 PM

May 2016
Amazing ride and our girl looked so cute than ever with that short hair it suited her
a lot more.

Sen never fails to anger other people even Shimps xD. 8/10
Jun 20, 2020 9:17 PM

Jul 2016
BRUH I THOUGHT THAT KAORU WAS JINICHI FOR A SEC WITH THAT HAIRSTYLE

ALSO AHHHHHHH IM SO HAPPY THAT THEY MET AGAIN, I WOULDVE HATED IF THEY DIDNT AHHHHHH
Jun 22, 2020 2:36 AM
Dec 2014
Just finished this anime. I cried like a baby! I very rarely cry on movies and tv shows, but this one got me in the feels. Every episode had a unique atmosphere.
The last time Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu had this effect on me.
I'll never forget this one, maybe I'll watch it again a couple of years later to relive these feelings.
Sep 12, 2020 8:31 PM
Jan 2020
Bullshit every second the writes could've given us a proper ending the deserved ending but noooo their idiots who can't write if we wanted bad romance wed watch re zero 🖕🖕🖕🖕
Nov 11, 2020 5:58 PM

Jan 2019
Probably would've given the show a 10 if it weren't for these last two episodes. The character development and general behavior felt really genuine for the main 3 characters. Sen setting his pidgeon free on the roof gave me chills, but when it was revealed he didn't kill himself and got into the accident instead, the impact of that shot left me. It left me even more when I realized it wasn't even that bad of an accident for him.

Also, (this might be a bit nitpicky but) using that upbeat guitar song to close out the show didn't sit right with me. In a show where the primary music focus is Jazz, I feel like they missed the perfect opportunity to close out with just an instrumental of "Moanin", "My favorite things", or "Someday My Prince will come". The song they chose to end with sounded like a naruto ending.
Nov 12, 2020 6:00 PM

Mar 2017
i won't be able to recover from this for a while...the 8 years later jam session, seeing them running. just the nostalgic vibes were enough to make me tear up, i CANNOT
Nov 15, 2020 9:25 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow didn't except a time skip of 8 years, and it's great to see that Kaoru is a doctor and Sentarou a priest, and that end was really beautiful the reunion of the three friends Kaoru, Sentarou and Ritsuko... now I really wonder if Kaoru will get back with Ritsuko, I want to read the manga now haha, well overall for a drama romance music anime which has only 12 episodes it was really well made, I didn't expect to like this anime like that, 8/10
Jan 5, 2021 9:48 AM

Jan 2016
I was going back and forth between 8/10 and 9/10. This felt rushed, so I decided on 8/10. Great anime nonetheless. I binged it cuz it was that good.
Jan 12, 2021 12:21 AM

Dec 2020
outlawauron said:
Yes, they're all friends again and people are happy, but what's next? Do they all separate again? Try to live closer? Will Sentaro explain himself? Will Kaoru and Ritsuko finally be together?

For everyone who have finished the series, please do yourself a favor and read the manga. I was asking these questions too when I finished watching the series. I would highly recommend you to read the manga from chapter 40 until 50, but if you consider that's too long, the last 6 chapters (45-50) is fine.
neoruneJan 12, 2021 1:12 AM

no one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite.

Jan 16, 2021 4:49 PM
Aug 2020
surprisingly I'm not mad about the ending, Sentaro got what he really wanted i guess PLUS he got hotter WTF!! they all got hotter!!!!!!!

It was fun to watch, totally loved whenever they played together!

and I just realized that Ariana Grande's song 7 rings is basically that song they played "My favorite things " :O I was like wtf!!!!

anyways 9/10 <3
Jan 25, 2021 7:07 AM

Oct 2018
some episodes felt really long to me, i was gonna give this a 7/10 but that last half of the finale alone raises the show to an 8. i just got something for the trope of meeting a disappeared friend who has become a priest
Feb 19, 2021 7:24 AM
Jun 2020
For anyone unsatisfied by the ending read the last 10 or so chapters of the manga
Feb 27, 2021 9:50 PM
Dec 2020
it really messes me up that they just left all these awful events and miscommunications unresolved for eight whole years. and despite the drama with kaoru and ritsuka isn't it kind of crazy they just decided to never write or call again as soon as he left? jun was at the same college kaoru went to and he visited all the time, like it was nothing.
I'm gonna just try not to think about it too hard, because on its own the ending was very sweet
Mar 24, 2021 4:39 AM

May 2009
Great show. Super wholesome. Much feelings.
Not a perfect show, but damn near. 9/10 for me :-)
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
May 5, 2021 8:08 PM
Sep 2014
Was pretty dissapointing overall for me, episode 1-10 felt like romance musical chairs with a sprinkle of NTR and a pretty lukewarm story and execution, then a bunch of forced drama and extreme events to progress the plot with an unsatisfying ending, no real emotional resolution and a lot of emotional/romantic baiting. I did however really enjoy the music and first music festival. 4/10 for me overall.
Jun 17, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2019
My 48th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Aug 26, 2021 10:10 AM

Jan 2021
I don't know what it is but I feel like there's something missing from this last episode, especially that '8 years later' part... or maybe because I was hoping to see their last performance in high school.. but anyway Sakamichi no Apollon is great and very very worth watching!! Loved every second of it. <3

And yeah, I didn't think that Yurika and Junichi could have a long-lasting relationship to that extent ~ so Junichi really loves Yurika, huh? Nice! ♡
hanakocheeksAug 26, 2021 10:15 AM

Nov 29, 2021 2:24 PM

Mar 2021
Damn, Kaoru has said a million things wrong over time, but him saying that he's glad Sentaro is gone is over the line for sure. I'm glad he had the sensitivity to rectify it.

Wow, Father Kawabuchi, huh? Never expected him to have slicked back hair; part of me did think he'd have a full beard or something. Anyway, I'm very glad to see he's doing alright.

Kaoru is really plunking away on that organ. Seeing as this is supposed to 1976 now, I'm not surprised to hear a little bit of Gregg Rolie (Santana/Journey) there.

Ri'ko looks beautiful with a short haircut! I was really hope that she would give Kaoru and Sentaro a big hug at the end. Oh well. Can't all be winners.

Anyway, final thoughts on the series. I greatly enjoyed it. First of all, killer music. Second of all, great character dynamics. Sometimes, a character would tend to say something misguided, and I feel like the relationship between Kaoru and Ri'ko wasn't fully realized, but then some moments really hit you. I'd overall give it a 7/10.

P.S., I must say that it's a shame that the show never utilized "Darn That Dream". Would've worked well early on. Also, I wonder what happened to Brother Jun. There's an equal chance that he's a thriving activist or a casualty of alcohol poisoning. Who knows?
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Dec 23, 2021 1:32 PM

Mar 2019
Damn they love timeskips and giving every girl short hair, lol.

So this is how this beautiful show ended. I'm not a big fan of big time skips like this one. This ending reminded me of another romance anime, it ended in the same way more or less. But what happened with everything, I really wanted this ending to be amazing, but the timeskip was too much. There are so many things left out, like what happened between Kaoru and Riko after that teary scene, did they never talk again until now? What happened with Sentarou and everything he left behind, I can somewhat guess that the reason he ran away was because of what he did to Sachiko, but it doesn't make sense. What happened with everyone in this span of 8 years. I hope Riko isn't married because she and Kaoru were such a good couple and from what I can see (or more like what I can't see) she isn't but it's not explained so I'm just assuming.

I loved the way it ended (the very last scene) with Sentarou and Kaoru running downhill like they used to do and how they both met Riko at the end and she smiled. The ending still feels abrupt but it was nice, somewhat sad.

It was a sweet anime and I'll miss all these characters, the friendship between Sentarou and Kaoru was amazing, but I just wish his disappearance was handled differently. It's either a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me, great journey.
Alex_TheForestDec 23, 2021 1:36 PM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 12, 2022 3:26 PM

Aug 2013
The score misled me into thinking this was worth giving it a try but yea nothing new.
The characterization is pretty much nonexistent and so is the story
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Apr 25, 2022 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
Kids on the Slope started out very engaging and entertaining, with its setting and with how the graphics look, trying to make it as realistic as possible. 

But the only good episodes were 1-5, 7, and 12.  These episodes were engaging, captivating, and unique.

Episodes 6, 8-11 were just meh and dull. And the romance in these meh episodes just came off very shoujo-ish. And I was so bored in the Jun-rich girl arc; the anime should have left this arc off, because it was dull and very shoujo-ish how it was presented. 

So almost half the anime was meh.  They should have made this anime 10-episodes instead of 12-episodes.

And really? An almost 10-year time skjp?  Couldnt it have been just a year or two, so we wouldnt feel so detached to the characters?

But overall, an anime that started strong, but lost its way halfway through.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 5:35 PM
May 20, 2022 5:30 AM

Sep 2021
Oioioioi give me another button for 11/10 score. Damnnn so goood. Sad that it's only 12 episodes.

That 8 year timeskip woahh.
You can never break the bond between these three people.
Jun 8, 2022 3:46 PM

Feb 2014
Fucking insecure retard finally did it. Throughout the entire show that poor girl only got hurt by him thanks to his insecurity and weakness. I like the contrast between Bon's and Jun's story and how it shows their character. Jun used a fake rape act to protect Yurika to distance her from him, since he saw no future for himself. Even when he hit rock bottom he didn't try to take advantage of the situation and justify it. On the other hand, Bon did the exact opposite by forcing himself onto Ritsuko, and even hurt her mentally and emotionally. So I wouldn't mind if they didn't end up together eventually. He doesn't deserve her. Unless he stopped being an insecure asshole over these 8 years and actually grew up.

Anyway, it was a 6/10 for me. The earlier episodes were much better. By the end it seemed like they rushed through a lot of stuff and there was way too much stupid drama. That accident especially was pretty contrived.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.