Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 14, 2015 4:54 PM

Aug 2014
The second episode was resembling the K-ON.
If previously gathered around the main character, this time they begin to choose the instruments they will play
Apr 14, 2015 5:08 PM

Mar 2014
This episode was meh. It was kind of boring but hopefully the show picks itself up soon.
Apr 14, 2015 5:13 PM

Mar 2012
Story is going alright. I really like the MC and the glass girl but some of the others feel... not conving. And, damn, those visual. Probably the best of the season on that regard (maybe even year). Background, collor pallet, character design... everything fits perfectly (+ to that brownish "theme" that makes the anime look a little oldschool, I love it). But I really don't like the OP and ED, pretty much the same for some chuunibyou/k-on/tamako market ops and eds but not nearly as good (or maybe its me and the fact that it does not fit the overall show).
Apr 14, 2015 5:21 PM

Jan 2011
That "Shut up" was perfect.
Apr 14, 2015 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
This is turning out to be really great. There is the whole anime trope moe going on which keeps things fun and when the story turns more serious, it's still believable tension and drama. The way FeMC acts is very relatable and it's enjoyable to see how shes shy with her former classmate and becomes completely comfortable and tsun with her childhood friend. As a side note, those latter two together look so perfect that I'm already shipping them.

KyoAni again producing a beautiful work with imagery comparable to Hyouka. Even the pretty boy teacher is like a grown up Oreki. This is why they're my favorite studio.

Asuka winning the battle for best girl so far. Her "shut up" was hilarious.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 14, 2015 6:09 PM
Sep 2013
HeroKenzan20 said:
Good that we get some music in this episode,but the rest was once again meh imo.Idk why but I don't like Asuka at all,probably alone with this ;D
I hope more music next week,but it's KyoAni so I don't expect anything.I don't even know why they make a music anime and then don't focus on some Jazz but instead on some really bad characters.KyoAni proves once again why they are content wise the worst popular studio IMHO.To not end it on an all negative note,some scenes & background looked amazing(as if they weren't even animated lol).I guess this will keep me watching...and the hope for Jazz.

KyoAni is a cure for your eyes, after watching come crap from A1 this season.

sbyrstall said:
I'll wait until Wed. so I don't have to watch the Horriblesub crap.

Actually HS/cr is more accurate in terms of translation compared to other fansubs out there.

--
in the end our main character need to stick with her euphonium x)

Aoi-chan words sure have a deep meaning in it..

nice episode, probably next episode we'll get more music. Art is so superb that it alone deserve 10/10.
Apr 14, 2015 6:12 PM
Sep 2013
phantom19 said:
This is turning out to be really great. There is the whole anime trope moe going on which keeps things fun and when the story turns more serious, it's still believable tension and drama. The way FeMC acts is very relatable and it's enjoyable to see how shes shy with her former classmate and becomes completely comfortable and tsun with her childhood friend. As a side note, those latter two together look so perfect that I'm already shipping them.

KyoAni again producing a beautiful work with imagery comparable to Hyouka. Even the pretty boy teacher is like a grown up Oreki. This is why they're my favorite studio.

Asuka winning the battle for best girl so far. Her "shut up" was hilarious.

This. I am wondering why his face is so familiar..
Apr 14, 2015 6:28 PM

Jan 2011
Already knew Asuka was the best girl,show isn't really doing anything out of the norm but its still nice to watch.

Kousaka was far less bitchy then i was expecting to Kumiko in fact she seemed totally approachable
Apr 14, 2015 6:35 PM

Jul 2012
kuro-ooji said:
billybob300c said:

2. Instead of "Fagott" in the eyecatch, they could've used "bassoon"

yes, this. I thought I was mixing up my instruments for a sec and was really confused when they said fagott?? like, bassoon is definitely the most common name for that instrument

meh, sometimes picky musicians differentiate between the heckel and buffet systems by calling it a fagott or bassoon, respectively. Heckel more popular worldwide, while buffet still has some popularity in france.

in an anime like this, though, yeah, you're right :P
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Apr 14, 2015 6:38 PM
Mar 2015
I wonder if there is some kind of short-hair trend going on in Japan ...
Apr 14, 2015 6:41 PM

Aug 2012
I absolutely love this show so far! The soundtrack, the voice acting, writing animation, direction, character,s and so on is just perfect imo. A lot of moe shows go overboard with the cuteness but this shows characters and tone feel realistic but still manages to be adorable as hell. I love the girl in the glasses, it's so rare that a "quirky" character is actually really well written and hilarious.

I didn't really have any expectations for this show and I've had a lot of ups and downs when it comes to kyoani but this is probably my favorite thing I've watched from them even though we're on 2 episodes in. There's such great attention given to the smallest details i could go on and on about this show lol.
Apr 14, 2015 7:03 PM
Star Guardian

Apr 2014
So far Asuka is the only girl I've seen in anime with glasses that I actually like and don't find annoying.

But I really loved this episode.
Apr 14, 2015 7:21 PM

Jan 2013
Alright episode, I wanted Kumiko to show off her euphonium skills.
Apr 14, 2015 7:42 PM

Apr 2012
Asuka best character.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 14, 2015 7:54 PM

Jan 2014
I actually got dragged into the anime a bit more with this episode. It was amusing watching everyone choose their instruments, lol.

The teacher looked pretty chill, I'm actually really interested in seeing more of him and Kousaka. The real music starts next episode!

Also, that ED song is pretty catchy.
Apr 14, 2015 8:05 PM

May 2010
Beautiful episode again. Watching them pick instruments reminded me of when in 6th grade concert band we did the same thing with the various instruments.
Apr 14, 2015 8:32 PM
Jan 2015
I was hoping for more than two bars of trumpet, I'll be honest.

Also I don't understand why the euphonium would be placed with the string bass when the trombone plays in exactly the same register with the exact same mouthpiece.

I'll keep watching this, but something needs to happen soon for it to reliably keep my interest.
Apr 14, 2015 8:58 PM

Oct 2013
As someone who was in band for 7 years, I am absolutely loving this. The nostalgia is an added bonus
Code Geass is the most fun anime of all time, objectively speaking.
Apr 14, 2015 9:53 PM

Jun 2014
i'm really not expecting anything out of this series and i think that is why i am enjoying it. nothing groundbreaking by any means, but it is a cute little slice of life.

i am enjoying it this far! hope we learn more about cute sensei ;)
Apr 14, 2015 10:52 PM
Nov 2013
SHUT UP

Asuka is my favorite so far <3
Apr 14, 2015 11:12 PM

Jul 2013
Man, KyoAni is seriously stepping up their art department. Everything was just drawn so beautifully, I'm really loving the art direction in this anime.

I like that megane senpai! That she is voiced by Minako Kotobuki just add to her charm.

The interaction between the characters flowed very smoothly without trying too hard to be cute or funny yet at the same time it has its own charm that I never got bored throughout the episode. Heck they were even quite chill on the drama side.

That advisor seems more strict than he looks. Looking forward to see what kind of practice they'd do next episode.
Apr 15, 2015 12:01 AM

Nov 2011
I'm still liking some of the characters in this, nothing too eventful but it just flows really well for me.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 15, 2015 12:18 AM

Oct 2013
Decent episode, they chose their instruments now so practicing starts next episode.

She is really stuck with it.

What's wrong with Kumiko whenever Shuichi greets her?

Sensei looks like a serious person when it comes to business but still with an easygoing personality. Good to see a character like him.
Apr 15, 2015 2:22 AM

Oct 2013
#Saphire-chan2015
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 15, 2015 2:37 AM

Oct 2014
[quote=Nuvi]

What's wrong with Kumiko whenever Shuichi greets her?

Did you not see the last episode, he was a complete asshole to her but they will rekindle soon I hope, want some romance subplots in this anime, those are my favourite parts, too much rambling.

Have my arbitrary reasons to watch kyoani shows, they haven't put out a show I loved since hyouka but this is potentially a pretty good character drama/coming of age thing. Honestly I could have the Kuniko's friends removed from the story as they distracted from the tone of the show, cause they are too goofy for my tastes I'm sorry.

For some reason just a speculation that Kuniko's friends weren't suppose to be in the story in the first place. They are shoehorned in to sell more BD and fricken dojins cause they are just for decoration. As in this episode Kuniko has a childhood girlfriend which she definetely has a better relationship than his friends, she even walks home with her alone like the staff forgot that she had new friends, that scene feels out of place a little. No matter what this show turns out to be I can still appretiate the damn good animation.
My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
Apr 15, 2015 2:53 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, this really will just be an orchestra anime, I was hoping the 4 mains would leave the bigband and start a quartet.

Will be less interesting with so many characters, but it's not bad. And the visuals are spectacular, best art of the season, Fate S/N can go home and hide.
Apr 15, 2015 3:03 AM

Nov 2012
this episode was pretty boring to be honest. at least the visuals were top notch again.
Apr 15, 2015 3:43 AM

Jul 2013
Asuka, what a fun girl she is <3
Best girl so far.
Apr 15, 2015 4:19 AM

May 2010
Dat hug lol. Btw I don't get Kumiko's hairstyle, she looks good with it tho. I like her personality as well.

I like Hazuki more than I thought I would be. She's so gullible I like Aoi as well, love how she is steadfest and confident.

I am loving where the show is going. It's very beautiful. Gotta love the red thread in the ED.
Apr 15, 2015 5:00 AM

Jun 2008
Vindstot said:
Decent episode. Midway cards in this show will probably mention names of different instruments from now on.
A bit odd they would use the German name for the bassoon. Everyone else calls it a bassoon. LOL
No different than when they went more German-esk for Girls und Panzers.

As many of the those who were in band, the woodwind sections is usually dominated by females. Brass is more male. I'm thinking that since this is Japan and a concert band is a club like here in the states which is a class, the majority of males would be choosing sports-related club over a music club.
Dodecahedron-O24Apr 15, 2015 5:03 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 15, 2015 5:15 AM

Mar 2012
As someone that used to play in band for seven years, I too am enjoying this show...and I can actually sympathize a bit with the female MC.

When I started in band in HS, I wanted to play a different instrument too...but I ended up sticking with trombone because it's what I played for three years during late elementary school and junior high and it was the only instrument I was good at.
Apr 15, 2015 6:03 AM

Feb 2014
Asuka is the best girl!

I love How KyoAni made the visuals of the backgrounds and the instruments.
Apr 15, 2015 6:51 AM

Feb 2013
mg021 said:
kuro-ooji said:

yes, this. I thought I was mixing up my instruments for a sec and was really confused when they said fagott?? like, bassoon is definitely the most common name for that instrument

meh, sometimes picky musicians differentiate between the heckel and buffet systems by calling it a fagott or bassoon, respectively. Heckel more popular worldwide, while buffet still has some popularity in france.

in an anime like this, though, yeah, you're right :P

Fagott and Bassoon are different instruments in terms of finer details of construction. Germans and Italians had a different method of construction than the French.

www.bassoonrescource.org/history.htm

and even still, Japan had more ties to Germany than other European countries so they would use names like posaune more than we might
Apr 15, 2015 7:10 AM

Feb 2008
How does KyoAni always manage to think of a good concept and make it really painfully boring? That's like their talent. At this rate, the directing probably won't change and it will continue being painfully slow without anything happening the entire episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 15, 2015 7:13 AM

May 2011
I've never been in a concert band, but I still remember watching my school brass band practicing and wishing I could join it. This anime certainly captures the charm of concert bands and for now at least, the music and plot isn't just secondary to the moe elements
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Apr 15, 2015 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
I loved this episode! The animation is what I expect from KyoAni and I'm liking the characters already. Can't wait till we get to see some ACTUAL music. :D
Apr 15, 2015 10:43 AM

Dec 2012
Good presentation of the club, I liked this episode. Asuka is awesome!
As usually, the animation is beautiful.
Apr 15, 2015 11:00 AM

Dec 2012
Goto = best girl
Apr 15, 2015 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
y123y said:
ViolettSky said:
Goto = best girl

Whos the best guy?

Apr 15, 2015 11:55 AM

Feb 2014
Asuka is already making herself the best character of this show so far, with her being so upbeat and eager to teach Hazuki and Kumiko. In all honesty, I do tend to like upbeat and energetic characters in general. ^^

The visuals and animation so far look fantastic, especially with the background detailing with Kumiko and Aoi by the river. =D
Apr 15, 2015 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
Olem said:
Gotta love Asuka's character, she's pretty fun lol

I thought Sapphire would just be a ditsy character and just be there to be cute, so I'm glad that isn't the case.

I was really worried about Sapphire too but she won me over when she said to Asuka "I've been waiting to hear those words".
She's so eager, i love her lol
Apr 15, 2015 1:57 PM

Mar 2014
SHADDAPU
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 15, 2015 2:16 PM

Apr 2014
Shut Up, ahah. Asuka's random English exclamations made the episode. She's by far my favorite character in the show.
I liked the pacing. It's not moving terribly fast but it gives us enough time to get to know each character a bit more. I also liked the fact that it's not only focusing on our 4 main heroines but also on other members of the club and the teacher. I wonder if we'll also get a bit of romance between Kumiko and her childhood friend?
Apr 15, 2015 2:22 PM

Oct 2012
This show is pretty alright so far, enjoying it enough.
I really like the tenor sax player Aoi (Mostly cuz I play tenor but ya...)

Looking forward to them finally playing next episode, Pretty excited for the hyped up band songs.
Apr 15, 2015 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
The ED screams of Tamako Market.
Apr 15, 2015 4:16 PM
Jan 2015
this animation is so beautiful, breathtaking to watch! I hope there is some romance between kumiko and her childhood friend, Shuichi. Maybe a little because its main theme is music I guess.
Apr 15, 2015 4:50 PM

May 2014
HeroKenzan20 said:
Good that we get some music in this episode,but the rest was once again meh imo.Idk why but I don't like Asuka at all,probably alone with this ;D
I hope more music next week,but it's KyoAni so I don't expect anything.I don't even know why they make a music anime and then don't focus on some Jazz but instead on some really bad characters.KyoAni proves once again why they are content wise the worst popular studio IMHO.To not end it on an all negative note,some scenes & background looked amazing(as if they weren't even animated lol).I guess this will keep me watching...and the hope for Jazz.

are they really that good at making jazz anime?
Apr 15, 2015 4:52 PM

May 2014
This ep. got a nice progression of the series. We got to know more about the different student leaders and the sensei too. Hahha, and we saw more Asuka. Hhaha, she is a funny girl. The only one that makes the series very funny. Overall, very meh ep.
Apr 15, 2015 4:56 PM

May 2014
MaahHeim said:
Yay, she's playing euph after all.

babymilo91 said:
Does Kousaka not remember Kumiko?

She does, as she says "Oh, so you're still playing euph on high school" at the end of the episode.

What happened in the beginning. I don't think I understand. Why does Kumiko want to apologize? Did she screw up so they didn't compete in the Natioinals?
Apr 15, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
Watching it for visuals. If I'd be Kumiko, I'd wait till I grow up and marry Taki sensei, cool looking kyoani guy.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

457 by HEXapologize »»
Today, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

287 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 2:26 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2015

214 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2015

136 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

399 by PodcastsandAnime »»
Jul 19, 11:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.