Forum Settings
Forums

Series that you think would have been better had they had 24 episodes instead of 12 or 13 and why

New
Feb 14, 2014 1:27 AM
Dec 2013
I think Another and Angel Beats would have been better because they would have both greatly benefited from some more character development. While Angel Beats did have some pretty decent development with the characters, I think there just could have been more done with them. Go ahead and discuss other people's choices too.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 14, 2014 1:34 AM

Jul 2013
Deadman Wonderland, Hagure Yuusha and Elfen Lied should have been longer... mainly in order to give them a propper ending. Though I can guess why they are so short. Well either that or a second season would also be fine I guess, but you get what I mean.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Feb 14, 2014 1:42 AM
Aug 2011
K-On! is a masterpiece.
Feb 14, 2014 1:44 AM
Dec 2013
parfaited said:
K-On! is a masterpiece.

I don't have to much of a problem with K-On! because it has a second season with 26 episodes.
Feb 14, 2014 1:50 AM

Jan 2010
Besides the mentioned Angel Beats, I'll throw out:

- Danganronpa for reasons of holy crap there's no pacing
- Sora no Woto if only because it's a show that could easily pad itself out with just world exploration and it would had worked
- Girls und Panzer because holy crap that's a lot of characters for just 12 episodes
Feb 14, 2014 2:40 AM

Jan 2013
I would like to add Ghosthound to the ones already mentioned above. I think instead of 22, it should've taken a couple more to finish to totally unravel the mystery and psychological aspects constructed in the first 21 episodes. If not for the horribly rushed crap ending, it would have been one of the best anime today.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 14, 2014 2:54 AM

May 2012
I can't think of any anime that wouldn't be better off with 2 cour instead of 1.
Feb 14, 2014 2:54 AM

Jun 2013
FFVII Last Order should have been a full series instead of just one episode. I mean that was kind of pointless. If you're gonna do it, do it right. It may have been an OVA but still. They should have adapted an anime based off of the game. There is the movie, but that is CGI and takes places a couple years after the game.
Feb 14, 2014 2:58 AM

Aug 2012
Angel Beats!. There were a lot of characters that didn't have enough screentime resulting into a meh ending. Well, it's still heartbreaking on some degree.

Danganronpa. 15-20+ hours of gameplay crammed into 12 episodes? Just.. who the hell can do that? XD And don't forget that it's focused on its mystery elements which requires a lot of time to be flesh out.

Hataraku Maou-sama. Because it's too good it's a shame it only got 1 cour.
Feb 14, 2014 3:13 AM

Dec 2012
Danganronpa - I thought it was stupid either way, but at least 2 cour would have made it a decent watch.

Air - It's just a hunch, but I feel like it could have been leagues more enjoyable this way.
Feb 14, 2014 3:20 AM

Dec 2009
Elfen Lied - with plot which actually follows manga
Gokusen - stops at the point when it becomes the most intersting
Kuragehime - again its open ending right when the most interesting part starts
Lodoss-tou senki - very rushed. I should probably watch older version (27 ep) to compair
Loveless - makes me wonder "what did I just watch?" though the manga is crap aswell, so more episodes won't help us understand the plot anyway
Mobile suit gundam: the 08th ms team - since its a side story we don't see those characters anywhere else..and due to series being short (13 ep) no time to actually show their history, personality...not time to really make viewers care about them
Feb 14, 2014 3:21 AM

Dec 2012
As people have said before Angel Beats, as well as Air. Key works just don't really work within a 13 episode time frame, the pacing feels unnatural and characters aren't properly developed.
Feb 14, 2014 3:24 AM

Dec 2013
Highschool of the Dead - I would've wanted to see more of that zombie survival stuff
Feb 14, 2014 3:29 AM

Feb 2012
Deadman Wonderland! It finished with such an unsatisfying ending, although I did enjoy the anime and loveee the manga, it would've been perfect with more then 20 episodes!

Feb 14, 2014 3:41 AM

Oct 2013
Deadman Wonderland. I know it was made before the manga ended, but still... I kinda want it to be remade.
Feb 14, 2014 3:44 AM

Oct 2012
Angel Beats! definitely.
Feb 14, 2014 4:08 AM

Jan 2014
Polychrome said:
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/useravatars/3437645.gif
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/useravatars/2960497.gif

This is madness!

On topic: Suisei no Gargantia needed more episodes to properly tell the story of Kugel and how it led to

Also, Bevel, Pinion and Ridget needed more character development. During the series you only got tiny bits and pieces of their backstory, but in the end they didn't expanded on it that much...
Feb 14, 2014 4:10 AM
Nov 2008
Plenty of anime should have been 12-13 episodes rather than 26. Kill la Kill definitely would have benefited from a 13-episode story structure.
Feb 14, 2014 4:11 AM

Feb 2013
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
Galilei Donna
Feb 14, 2014 4:20 AM

Oct 2013
Deadman Wonderland. Had so much potential but it was half assed and rushed with 12 episodes.
Feb 14, 2014 4:26 AM

Sep 2012
Katanagatari , because the end is sad :)
Feb 14, 2014 4:28 AM
Aug 2013
Angel Beats! no doubt.
Feb 14, 2014 4:42 AM

May 2013
Angel Beats and Air. Both suffered from poor pacing, and in the end simply stuffed too much into too little, and the result was often very messy.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 14, 2014 4:55 AM

Mar 2012
Angel Beats definitely
Feb 14, 2014 6:14 AM
Aug 2012
Almost 95% of the adaptations or new series which came out in recent times consisting of only 12/13 episodes..............

Feb 14, 2014 6:32 AM

Jun 2012
Angel Beats, but honestly Lupin III: TWCFM would've been fine if it were twice as long

Madoka Magica too, tbh
Feb 14, 2014 6:46 AM

Jun 2013
Like everyone agrees, it is definitely Angel Beats. I wanted to see more of that anime.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Feb 14, 2014 7:07 AM

Jun 2008
Angel Beats, hate to beat on a dead horse, but it's so blatantly obvious due to missing a bunch of character back stories.

Suisei no Gargantia, I compare this to Eureka 7 and it's so clear cut Gargantia is underdeveloped in many fronts. More could be shed on Ledo's homeworld, more about Earth, more about Ledo's relationship with the rest of the cast, and so on. This was a world that had so much potential, only to be cut so short.

Danganronpa: ridiculous pacing. It loses its charm because things develop so fast with so little pretense. It's hard to care for any of the characters in particuar, and their motives seem so... half-assed.
Feb 14, 2014 7:43 AM

Aug 2012
Any anime that tries to convey an overarching narrative, typically serious in nature. I don't think a single cour by itself does a show like that justice because many times there are big casts of main characters, and each one would greatly benefit from having a few episodes to themselves.

Comedy, on the other hand, is the type of show I can live with even if it's only a few episodes long, or if each episode is not even 10 minutes long.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 14, 2014 10:16 AM

Jun 2013
kiotsuga- said:

Could not agree disagree more. Katanagatari has one of the best anime endings I've personally ever seen, and since the ending is paramount in any series, I wouldn't wish to see it represented any other way.

OT: Like many others have said before me, Angel Beats suffered greatly from horrible pacing, and furthermore, poor character development. I'm not sure of bringing more episodes into the mix would have been the "Miracle Cure" for AB, or if the staff would require a swap. Needless to say, nothing much came of that series, but it had potential.

Also, I wish that I would have had the opportunity to savor a bit more of Detroit Metal City, but that's purely a personal endeavor, as it would seem by how few people in the community seem to know about it.

- Yandere
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Feb 14, 2014 10:18 AM

Aug 2013
K Project. That anime was just too short, I would of liked to see the other kings in action and more blue vs red action.
Feb 14, 2014 10:22 AM

Nov 2013
I agree with angel beats, another and deadman wonderland having more episodes.

I guess...Kamisama no inai Nichiyoubi. The story is pretty interesting and deep if it is developed further.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2014 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
School Days.

I'm pretty sure that more could have been done.

Feb 14, 2014 10:53 AM

Jul 2012
FrostedSilver964 said:
Kakumeiki Valvrave. I know there's a second season and that I haven't even finished the first one but to say that there can ever be enough episodes of this is complete bullshit! GIMME MORE!

THE ENDING WAS WAY TOO RUSHED

OT: Herlock fuck that ending fuck Rintaro
הלב שלי כבר מת
Feb 14, 2014 11:02 AM
Feb 2014
Agree with Angel Beats!
Maoyuu Mao Yuusha, mostly since I just wanted more, but i dont think it necessarily would have been better with more episodes.
Haibane Renmei certainly could have done quite a bit with just a few more episodes

I both agree and disagree with Madoka Magica. Maybe it could have rounded out the time travel thing and covered the battle with the last witch more but what was there was all that the story could do I think.

Baccano with more time could have added another two arcs which would have been a nightmare to write but amazing to watch
Feb 14, 2014 11:05 AM

Sep 2011
Like everyone said, Angel Beats.

And also Hataraku Maou-sama. It's really a fun series that it really deserves 2-cour.

Feb 14, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2012
deadman wonderland definitely, even though i hated the MC the overall show was fun to watch but the ending was soooooo unsatisfying!!!!

also would have loved sankarea to get more episodes as that just finished too early with so many plot holes and unfinished, alternatively hope it gets a second season in the future but not holding my breath!!
Feb 14, 2014 11:23 AM

Sep 2012
Angel beats, Suisei no Gargantia, and Demon King Diamaou immediately come to mind, and like a few people said, Deadman Wonderland, which is the main reason I haven't bothered to watch it.

They were all too short for the potential they showed.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 14, 2014 11:25 AM
Feb 2014
highschool dxd then the anime would be farther into the light novel
add me as friend or send me a message if u wanna talk anime
Feb 14, 2014 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun definitely should have had 24-26 episodes instead of 13. The ending was the worst part with many questions unanswered and it would have flowed better.
Feb 14, 2014 11:47 AM

Aug 2012
One Piece
Feb 14, 2014 12:20 PM
Oct 2013
Kyoukai no kanata. Last few episodes were good, but somehow felt rushed, especially the ending. Plus a lot of questions were left unanswered.
Feb 14, 2014 12:25 PM
Dec 2013
I think Another, Air, and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun should have been longer.
Feb 14, 2014 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:
One Piece

I'd like to see that happen.
Feb 14, 2014 12:54 PM

Feb 2013
Angel Beats could have been better with a 2-cour series. A single cour wasn't enough and turned out for the worst.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
IntervisioN said:
lupadim said:
One Piece

I'd like to see that happen.

Hmm... That would mean one entire arc will have to be condensed into 1 episode, or something like that. Oh god, the horror... And Toei wasn't even able to properly convert an story arc into a 90 minute movie. I don't have high hopes for this. xD
Feb 14, 2014 1:16 PM

Sep 2011
Heredity said:
Plenty of anime should have been 12-13 episodes rather than 26. Kill la Kill definitely would have benefited from a 13-episode story structure.
yah i think klk is a rare occurrence where it would have been better shorter than longer, if they had shortened that godawful arc of the 4 generals taking ryuuko on 1 at a time into only 1 or 2 episodes and just had them only take her on at once it'd had been a billion times better

anyhow dangan ronpa needed 2 cours to work, they simply rushed everything and got rid of all character development. relationships, and general interesting dialogue, and without the character dangan ronpa is nothing, thats why im dreading a dr2 anime sicne its twice as long and the characters are much more fleshed out, and since its twice as long even if they did a 2 cour series it'd be just as rushed

space dandy would work so much better if it were 2 cour, it has a world that allows them to do anything they want and by only having 13 episodes cuts a ton of possibilities to make awesome episodes

EF tale of memories, the pace was too fast for its own good

i generally dislike 12 episode series, 4 hours is simply rarely enough to maximize a shows potential and is barely a step up content wise from a movie which i consider a even worse format

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 14, 2014 1:52 PM
Jul 2012
Ryugen said:
I can't think of any anime that wouldn't be better off with 2 cour instead of 1.

Basically anything episodic, plus several well-executed short stories like Baccano, Haibane Renmei and Lain

kiotsuga- said:

lol. 47 min episodes tho

On topic.... danganronpa, episode 1 wasn't bad but after that it was rushed as hell, coulda been an actually good battle royale kind of anime since the recent ones like mirai nikki and btoom are horrible

Didn't really mind angel beats being short because I came in the series with the mindset that it was supposed to be 13 episodes... tk might be a cool character that would be very interesting to know his back story, but if you treat the charismatic side characters as side characters it's not that bad, it's like a short story I guess, the focus is on the main ones. World-building was limited but I liked what they did and how it was open to interpretation. Not as good as Haibane but it was great seeing a high school anime that actually had an interesting premise behind it
Feb 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Jul 2013
k and angel beats
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - 11 hours ago

24 by Ebb1993 »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - 3 hours ago

2 by DigiCat »»
16 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

190 by Memore »»
36 minutes ago

» Can people who pirate anime be considered anime fans? What do you think? ( 1 2 )

RainyEvenings - Sep 10

79 by GinIonSui »»
51 minutes ago

» Can I have the losing girl?

BerriesSan - Sep 19

24 by Lincompoop »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.