Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 22, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not a bad episode and I liked the part where Hero inducts the Female Knight with her sword. Also, I think I saw the Female Mage in a brief scene so looking forward to seeing her more later on in the series.

Oh the little emotions of this episode.
Feb 22, 2013 10:30 AM

Jun 2012
Oh good stuff! Things being set in motion with the stakes being set higher than they've felt so far. Sounds like Maou's Demon King license renewal is a lot more dangerous than she made it out to be last episode to Yuusha.

I liked how this episode showed how much these characters have changed in 8 episodes. Yuusha is starkly more confident than the bubbling hero he was in episode 1, the maids can fend for themselves and more. What I want to see more of is Merchant get more screen time, he is arguably one of the more interesting characters who we've only seen the surface of.
Feb 22, 2013 10:48 AM

Feb 2012
Was good.

Although I'm becoming a little worried at the fact it's only 12 episodes. I hope that it stays good towards the end but I'm not sure how well this pacing will go. From the beginning the series has felt "slow-paced" ( but enjoyable and a good way ). With only a couple more episodes I wonder if it'll be enough. I haven't read the novels so I don't know the ending but I assumed it would be a long series.
Feb 22, 2013 11:07 AM

Nov 2007
while still rushed, this was a very good episode. The atmosphere was good and the music was great.

Next week is my favourite moment from the manga, I hope it gets a good adaptation.
Feb 22, 2013 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
One of my favorite episodes, after an excellent start and a stumble this series has picked back up IMO. Glad I stuck with it, will be there 'til the end now! Won't be importing it or anything but I am enjoying watching it.
Feb 22, 2013 11:22 AM

Aug 2010
Good episode.
Loved the interactions between Yuusha and Merchant :)

can't wait for nxt ep :D
Feb 22, 2013 11:34 AM

Feb 2012
so boring
Feb 22, 2013 11:53 AM

Dec 2009
I'm a bit confused. What is the Light Spirit?
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Feb 22, 2013 11:53 AM

Feb 2008
WrathSC said:
so boring

then don't watch....lol

they are plowing through it aren't they? i wonder if they will cover the war too. still i like what all they have covered so far.
Feb 22, 2013 11:55 AM

Oct 2010
Was trying not to fall asleep.. Zzzzzzz..
Feb 22, 2013 12:07 PM

Sep 2009
Hyack said:
Was trying not to fall asleep.. Zzzzzzz..

I can't imagine what people would say if they watched an actual slow show. Maoyuu isn't quick by any means, but there are dozens of great shows even slower. If anything, I think they're trying to fit too much in each episode. Would have loved for 24-26 episodes.
Feb 22, 2013 12:07 PM

Aug 2010
Jeebus, sometimes I think people are masochistic. You should have realized by now that this show is slow paced. If that isn't your beer, don't hesitate to leave.

Also, I loved that badass comment from Yuusha "Finish that sentence and you get a face full of lightning" (at least that's why my subs said. still, it sounded badass)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Feb 22, 2013 12:11 PM

Dec 2012
Marow said:

It's how they call the "God" thingy.
Feb 22, 2013 12:30 PM

Jun 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
Oh good stuff! Things being set in motion with the stakes being set higher than they've felt so far. Sounds like Maou's Demon King license renewal is a lot more dangerous than she made it out to be last episode to Yuusha.

I am not convinced that Maou is in any danger. There are no hints for that to be true.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Feb 22, 2013 12:31 PM

Aug 2012
Techno-Commie said:
It's how they call the "God" thingy.
Reminds me of DA's 'Maker' :c
Feb 22, 2013 1:03 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa damn the Light Spirits > ; 0.
Feb 22, 2013 1:26 PM

Sep 2011
So.... potatoes are evil?
Feb 22, 2013 1:29 PM
Sep 2012
Appel_stroop said:

if there is anything you should take from this episode, that is it.
Feb 22, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
Well I guess we know who will be the wife and who will be the mistress.

Am concerned with the pace. But least this way we should see the ending the Manga will have.
Feb 22, 2013 3:12 PM
Aug 2012
Marow said:

The light Spirit is like the Catholic Church in the Middle Age they are powerful over the kings of the country, If you go against their teachings you will be persecuted (A.K.A Criminal against them)

That Knight Code, Refreshing to see it a while now especially between the hero and the knight

Guys don't get your hope with the Manga, remember this is an Anime Adaptation, not everything in the manga is followed and their is also a Light Novel of this so don't get your hopes UP
Feb 22, 2013 3:17 PM
Aug 2012
xtremexx said:
Appel_stroop said:

Not to be idiotic, but they classified the potato the same as witch crafting
The light spirit organization pointed out that the potato crop is against their teachings (You could call it being a Ignorant)
KamiKaliFeb 22, 2013 3:26 PM
Feb 22, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2012
I don't even know what this story is about or why I should care about the characters or what's going on.

But..

4 more episodes, fuck it.
Feb 22, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2009
ihateeveryone said:
I don't even know what this story is about or why I should care about the characters or what's going on.

But..

Pretty much. I feel like they lost sight of the story somewhere in a previous episode, because I'm not sure either. Not saying the show is terrible, just...I don't know anymore.

But since there aren't many eps left, might as well go all the way.
Feb 22, 2013 5:00 PM
Sep 2012
dietmango said:
ihateeveryone said:

But..

Pretty much. I feel like they lost sight of the story somewhere in a previous episode, because I'm not sure either. Not saying the show is terrible, just...I don't know anymore.

It's because this show is a condensed adaptation of the manga -- which is a condensed adaptation of the LN. You can tell that this has the potential to be a good show, but they really fucked this show up in the end. They should have adapted the LN and given this 24 episodes instead.
Feb 22, 2013 5:02 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Appel_stroop said:
Potatoes go bad all the time. It's sad, really.
Feb 22, 2013 5:05 PM

Aug 2009
AiCon said:
dietmango said:
ihateeveryone said:

But..

It's because this show is a condensed adaptation of the manga -- which is a condensed adaptation of the LN. You can tell that this has the potential to be a good show, but they really fucked this show up in the end. They should have adapted the LN and given this 24 episodes instead.

I've been thinking about that since I heard about this show. Why just 12 episodes? I think any LN adaptation would need at least double that to actually expand on everything and not feel like it's rushing 10 chapters each episode.
Feb 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Feb 2011
So they're after Maou . Let's see how the plot will develop
Feb 22, 2013 5:14 PM

Jul 2012
dietmango said:
AiCon said:
dietmango said:
ihateeveryone said:

But..

I've been thinking about that since I heard about this show. Why just 12 episodes? I think any LN adaptation would need at least double that to actually expand on everything and not feel like it's rushing 10 chapters each episode.

Agreed with both of those statements. I think a good example of a proper, recent LN adaption is Sakurasou. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't feel too rushed either. It definitely does feel like it could be a great show, but the two main issues are probably the rushed adaption and Arms.

Glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion either.
Feb 22, 2013 5:19 PM

Aug 2009
ihateeveryone said:

Agreed with both of those statements. I think a good example of a proper, recent LN adaption is Sakurasou. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't feel too rushed either. It definitely does feel like it could be a great show, but the two main issues are probably the rushed adaption and Arms.

Glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion either.

Those, and it also doesn't help when you have her handling the script.

Buuut that's probably just me.
dietmangoFeb 22, 2013 5:25 PM
Feb 22, 2013 5:21 PM

Nov 2008
I love the parallels between this and 16th century Europe. This is getting good!
Feb 22, 2013 5:33 PM

Jan 2013
Gosh, I'm not feeling this anime.
It's like a bunch of disjointed loosely related scenes mixed together.
I didn't like the setting to begin with.
Feb 22, 2013 5:47 PM

Feb 2012
Poor maid sisters, now are going to be separated, it's really sad.

I don't get it how did they find out about who Scholar really is, is the Merchant dude a traitor?

Next episode is going to be intense, can't wait.
Feb 22, 2013 5:48 PM

Jul 2009
i dont really have a problem with the anime. to me, each episode is a short story about a guy and a girl trying to eradicate war via introducing technology and new methods. their trials and tribulations stems from the fact that humans aren't very keen on change and often mistaken revolutionary technology as witchcraft.

i think people are too used to having information spoon fed to them and more often than not, follow linear stories.
Feb 22, 2013 6:37 PM

Jul 2009
Oh church, you so silly.
Feb 22, 2013 6:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
My favorite part in this episode was the part with Yuusha and the merchant. I find the merchant's eyes really pretty...o_O

RediceRyan said:
Gosh, I'm not feeling this anime.
It's like a bunch of disjointed loosely related scenes mixed together.

Yeah, that's how I feel too. Maybe I would like it if I read the LN or something to get a better understanding of things, but I think as an anime by itself, it hasn't done a great job at making the plot interesting. I mean, there are interesting parts here and there, but I guess it's just doesn't capture my attention, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to enjoy this anime. I like a lot of the themes that are going on in the story, but it only ever seems to scratch the surface and then goes onto something else.
Feb 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Apr 2009
Kurogashi said:
i dont really have a problem with the anime. to me, each episode is a short story about a guy and a girl trying to eradicate war via introducing technology and new methods. their trials and tribulations stems from the fact that humans aren't very keen on change and often mistaken revolutionary technology as witchcraft.

i think people are too used to having information spoon fed to them and more often than not, follow linear stories.
i agree with this..

i'm actually not entirely happy at the pace of the show which resulted because it only has 12 eps.. but disjointed events actually fit this.. the show is designed to be a hypothetical fantasy world and the post events of some random overpowered fantasy RPG hero who decided to not get the normal end of his campaign game by going alone and working together with the demon king instead of slaying her with the rest of his party.. look, none of the characters even have names and not many of them show any sort of background information.. also, the entire setting is not given any specific background and it has a map that it didn't bother elaborating to you, etc. .. why? because the purpose of the show is not to show you with the information of its world, because the world is supposed to represent many other generic medieval fantasy worlds out there.. this show's audience is intended more for those who are very familiar with such a setting.. any timeskip they do and any events you think they should've put in between are the ones the familiar audience must fill in themselves..

they don't have to explain the Light Spirit, you should know what it's supposed to represent.. they don't have to elaborate further on what Yuusha and Maou does in each of their main tasks in their pursuit for peace, you have medieval fantasy RPG's and grand strategy games for that, respectively.. any political/economical crisis that arose during the events are the natural course of events that would eventually happen because of what they do.. what the show is trying to focus on are the events that provide new information (or old practical information of our modern times), along with their consequences, when applied to this specific setting, which doesn't seem to be present in a lot of iterations of this setting..

if you didn't get it before or what's been happening, i guess it's time for you to watch/play/read more specifically about this setting.. if you didn't like the setting in the first place, why are you even watching? it was from the first episode that it's going to be all about that (or was it only obvious to those who are familiar?)..

but anyway, yes, this show does not have good pacing and it dwindles from slow to fast pace.. but let's all blame the 12-episode format that is being used for LN adaptations.. i have yet to see a 12-episode LN adaptation in recent years that is great or did not require more seasons to finish its story..
argiliumFeb 22, 2013 7:11 PM
Feb 22, 2013 7:43 PM

Jan 2011
Given the totalitarian nature of a theocratic state (one church to rule them all...), this development isn't unexpected. Let's hope the hero can rescue the maid before she faces her "trial".

Never forget the Burning Times...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Feb 22, 2013 7:59 PM
Aug 2012
argilium said:
Kurogashi said:

i agree with this..

i'm actually not entirely happy at the pace of the show which resulted because it only has 12 eps.. but disjointed events actually fit this.. the show is designed to be a hypothetical fantasy world and the post events of some random overpowered fantasy RPG hero who decided to not get the normal end of his campaign game by going alone and working together with the demon king instead of slaying her with the rest of his party.. look, none of the characters even have names and not many of them show any sort of background information.. also, the entire setting is not given any specific background and it has a map that it didn't bother elaborating to you, etc. .. why? because the purpose of the show is not to show you with the information of its world, because the world is supposed to represent many other generic medieval fantasy worlds out there.. this show's audience is intended more for those who are very familiar with such a setting.. any timeskip they do and any events you think they should've put in between are the ones the familiar audience must fill in themselves..

they don't have to explain the Light Spirit, you should know what it's supposed to represent.. they don't have to elaborate further on what Yuusha and Maou does in each of their main tasks in their pursuit for peace, you have medieval fantasy RPG's and grand strategy games for that, respectively.. any political/economical crisis that arose during the events are the natural course of events that would eventually happen because of what they do.. what the show is trying to focus on are the events that provide new information (or old practical information of our modern times), along with their consequences, when applied to this specific setting, which doesn't seem to be present in a lot of iterations of this setting..

if you didn't get it before or what's been happening, i guess it's time for you to watch/play/read more specifically about this setting.. if you didn't like the setting in the first place, why are you even watching? it was from the first episode that it's going to be all about that (or was it only obvious to those who are familiar?)..

but anyway, yes, this show does not have good pacing and it dwindles from slow to fast pace.. but let's all blame the 12-episode format that is being used for LN adaptations.. i have yet to see a 12-episode LN adaptation in recent years that is great or did not require more seasons to finish its story..

The ironic thing is that people still tend not to listen
They spew random words like one of those reality show that simply is idiotically

I guess no one even bother's to read their History books, or be concerned to the real reality as long as it doesn't concern them though

I can agree with you that 12 episode isn't enough for a show that has to many pace on it and also the characters

I find it romantic on the Hero's ceremonial on making her his own knight
The suspense on the Demon King is killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KamiKaliFeb 22, 2013 8:04 PM
Feb 22, 2013 8:04 PM

Apr 2012
Appel_stroop said:

Indeed. Even a certain wolf deity thinks so:

Feb 22, 2013 8:20 PM

Apr 2010
Kind of reminds me of the good ol' days 500 years ago.

Well, they're in a pickle. Good episode, too.

Feb 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Feb 2013
Appel_stroop said:

no the potatoes
Feb 22, 2013 9:20 PM
Dec 2012
The Knight is such an adroit tactician. lol I knew she would steal him during half-a-year absence of the demon king. That oath was nothing but marriage vow, and the innocent hero accepted it. Technically she didn't steal the hero from the demon king, but substantially she *stole* him. She sacrificed shadow for substance. Clever! Haha Poor Hero, he was trapped. That's his fate to be pursued by women. (He was lucky. If Knight had been Warrior of Senyuu, Hero would've been cut with a sword.) But alas her happiness didn't last long.

Where will he end up after living a wandering life? The Gate City? Return to the Winter Kingdom?
Feb 22, 2013 9:57 PM

Apr 2011
xtremexx said:
Appel_stroop said:

If you eat potatoes or anything made out of them including french fry's you're a heretic and shall be burned at the stake.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Feb 22, 2013 11:34 PM
Feb 2013
Looks like things are bound to get worse.
Feb 22, 2013 11:38 PM
Nov 2012
Demon Potatoes.

RazorRamona200 said:
Looks like things are bound to get worse.

Sadly yes.
Feb 23, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2011
anyone notices the quality drop ? a little

well, the episode wasn't bad, but it's rushed too much.
Feb 23, 2013 2:53 AM

Nov 2011
Well, its natural, if there is someone who is trying to do good for the sake of the world, there will always be someone against them.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 23, 2013 3:05 AM
Feb 2012
I always felt an evil presence whenever I ate potatoes.

And so the wheel of human evolution keeps spinning and corruption says hi. Now I only hope that Yuusha's plan will go as smoothly as he wishes it to.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 23, 2013 3:39 AM

May 2010
hmm.love that little girl..
Feb 23, 2013 3:53 AM

Dec 2010
I found it a great episode. Loved the atmosphere and subtle music. Twelve episodes is really too little for this sort of anime. Hopefully it gets another season announced as soon as it finishes or some time after. The next episode, I recall being the most praised chapter in the manga. Hopefully they make it good.
5/5 for me.

I don't see what people don't like about it. Perhaps if you don't like it you shouldn't be watching this anime. This anime is actually interesting to watch unlike a load of other anime that don't even bother telling a proper story sometimes.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

111 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

125 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Mar 1, 2013

211 by MeguriRapture »»
Mar 6, 12:04 AM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2013

294 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 2, 6:23 PM

» End Credits Visual Illustration

AsteriskWarrior1 - Dec 30, 2023

0 by AsteriskWarrior1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.