Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 10, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
I'm beginning to dislike Hyouka more and more. The first stets of EP's is was really excited about it but this Anime becomes more boring nearing the end. I'm just really disappointed right now.I hope the Finale can change my opinion.
Sep 10, 2012 9:44 AM

Jan 2011
Post-Josh said:
Sort-of @Yume, sort-of @thread

The way he tried to explain himself makes absolutely no sense. First of all, the majority of people lose their competitive nature when they grow up, because they realize they'll never be the best at most things, or anything, and that's just how life is. That has nothing to do with going from "being obsessed with things" to "being obsessed with nothing", which I would argue is not even a real state of mind, or is at best a very loose description. Secondly, he clearly is "obsessed" with Mayaka already, so he's wrong about himself. Thirdly, his state of contentment should put him in a better position to be in a relationship, his past overly competitive nature might have gotten in the way. He's just obsessed with being an idiot, is all.

I can understand him wanting to be a "free spirit" that isn't tied down to anyone one person, or interest, but he should realize that he is quite attached to his friends/Mayaka, more so than he would like to believe.

That's what Hyouka is good about, character development. Although I believe in everything you said, I'm pretty sure he's just being blind to the fact that he don't want Mayaka to lost interest in him, we've already seen what happened when Oreki outgrows him in the "detective" department, it could be possible that he just don't want to get hurt again, which is somewhat ridiculous.
Sep 10, 2012 10:11 AM

Jan 2008
Ep 22.... wuuuuuut????
Sep 10, 2012 10:16 AM

Nov 2008
I'd like to punch Chitanda in the face.
Sep 10, 2012 10:41 AM

Jun 2012
Bunns said:

I had the same feeling XD
Sep 10, 2012 10:55 AM

Feb 2012
Man I don't know how to put it into words but I really loved this episode! Its my favorite episode out of the series now! I really hope we get some kind of relationship development with chitanda and oreki! Hopefully Mayaka and Satoshi as well. I really hope the last episode is something worth remembering. Something to end the series with a bang! I'm going to be sad once its over =/.
Sep 10, 2012 11:31 AM

Sep 2012
THis was a great episode after the latest flunks, I loved it! I just wanted to burst out in tears the last quarter

also my otp just sunk and I'm sad now
stopgapSep 10, 2012 3:37 PM
Sep 10, 2012 12:01 PM

Jan 2011
Bunns said:

1. Download a big high resolution Chitanda image
2. Put it fullscreen
3. Punch it.
4. ???
5. Profit.
6. May repeat as much as you want. New monitor costs may vary.
Sep 10, 2012 12:10 PM

Nov 2009
SantaPoncho said:
Bunns said:

I had the same feeling XD

Try it if you met her irl. I doubt you would have the courage after seeing her teary eyes.

Agree that Satoshi's development is kinda weird in this episode though. He knew he has changed, but he doesn't sure whether his changes are good, or bad. So he's afraid of being in a relationship with Mayaka.

Oreki should have punched him in da face to force him realize it, rather than let him realized it himself.
Sep 10, 2012 12:17 PM

Sep 2010
Nice episode, Episode was mostly dedicated to SatoshixMayaka. But Satoshi's reasoning was just absurd.

Sep 10, 2012 12:46 PM

May 2012
THough you know from the beginning that Satoshi did it (at least me) this was a great episode ^^
Chitanda raged and oreki had some nice expressions ^__^

Overdramatised but good :)
beep
Sep 10, 2012 1:14 PM

Aug 2010
What is this sorcery?!? I was pretty sure there were only 21 eps O__O well I'm quite glad ^__^

Next episode...I really want a conclusive Oreki x Chitanda :3
Sep 10, 2012 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode, very atmospheric. Chitanda's hollow look almost gave me the goosebumps.
Sep 10, 2012 1:53 PM

Dec 2010
When I got to the point where Oreki confronted Satoshi. I was thinking what Satoshi did was quite horrible.
I guess eventually Satoshi will accept Mayaka as it seems he likes her as well, his just being stubborn about his personality. Or he might have already accepted her from the phone call he made at the end.

I'm looking forward to the final episode. I wonder how this will end.
Sep 10, 2012 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Dark Eru sure scares me.

So I'm guessing Mayaka and Satoshi are an item now? That's good.

Last episode should wrap up the other pairing. ;D
Sep 10, 2012 3:14 PM

Aug 2011
wow wtf satoshi....it would be nice if they got together :c
Sep 10, 2012 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
dammit satoshi i'm in love
Sep 10, 2012 3:36 PM
Dec 2011
I'm glad that was not the last episode
Sep 10, 2012 4:36 PM

Oct 2011
something died inside me after finishing this ep. i really like the show and i'm so happy that there's another episode >.>

and lol at Houtaro at the end, i'm sure he felt bitter while eating those chocolate.
Nope.
Sep 10, 2012 4:40 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
This is for Satoshi:

Sep 10, 2012 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
dammit satoshi i'm in love

Are you serious? I'd roundhouse someone if they said that with a straight face.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 10, 2012 5:59 PM

Jul 2011
Even Houtarou doesn't understand Satoshi's mind...

I said everything.
Sep 10, 2012 7:10 PM
Sep 2009
tsubasalover said:
Stark700 said:

Ya, I thought so too but apparently, next week is the finale.

Tyrel said:

Ehhh weird. http://animecalendar.net/ also shows it for 24 episodes atm, but IMO it will end at 22 truly.

Either way, I think the series' climax has been finished, and maybe it's just random eps. with the main guy doing the detective things until the end. (Just a thought from a person who don't read the original work/novel)

I agree that the climax is past but I don't think the episodes are pointless right now. I think they're wrapping stuff up like the relationship between satoshi and mayaka for one and how the relationship has progressed between oreki and Chitanda. Not to mention Oreki's slight change in personality too. It's an important calm. :)
Sep 10, 2012 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
WOW WOW WOW WOW THIS MADE ME REALLY ASKJDLASKFJ.
There was so MUCH of satoshi we were able to see today. he apparently doesn't like being obsessed with things so that is why he couldn't accept mayaka's chocolate. the fact still remains that he still wants to be with her. this side seemed a bit insane in my opinion, but it was interesting.
there was also the character development in oreki, how he wanted to find out who stole it and his reaction towards it, threatening to hit fukube if his reason was not valid enough.
Last episode soon and i cannot wait to see what's in store <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2012 9:29 PM

Oct 2011
Meg-nyan said:
WOW WOW WOW WOW THIS MADE ME REALLY ASKJDLASKFJ.
There was so MUCH of satoshi we were able to see today. he apparently doesn't like being obsessed with things so that is why he couldn't accept mayaka's chocolate. the fact still remains that he still wants to be with her. this side seemed a bit insane in my opinion, but it was interesting.
there was also the character development in oreki, how he wanted to find out who stole it and his reaction towards it, threatening to hit fukube if his reason was not valid enough.
Last episode soon and i cannot wait to see what's in store <3

It's pretty simple, and not insane :

- he hate an old part of his personality
- he fear that if he commit himself to a relationship, this part of him will reawake
=> he avoid the issue

He can't say no to mayaka, because he loves her, but he can't say yes, because he is afraid of himself. So he did find every excuse possible to not answer

His fear may be irrationnal, but the avoidance behaviour is extremly common in real life
Sep 11, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2011
I'd guessed it was Satoshi the entire time xD I think SatoshixMayaka was really well depicted in this episode though, I loved the episode.
"Now's the time for you to run towards the day you awaken from this dream."

~Boys be Smile
Sep 11, 2012 6:28 AM

Jul 2010
Satoshi and his thinking....I don't blame Houtarou for not understanding either.
Sep 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Nov 2010
So many theories and drama
Somehow I knew the chocolate was in the bag, once it was shown the first time
2 bad its going to end next week :(
Sep 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Jan 2008
The case of stolen chocolate was quite obvious, but I still enjoyed the episode. Satoshi's thinking is interesting :)
Sep 11, 2012 7:25 AM

Jul 2010
Post-Josh said:
Sort-of @Yume, sort-of @thread

The way he tried to explain himself makes absolutely no sense. First of all, the majority of people lose their competitive nature when they grow up, because they realize they'll never be the best at most things, or anything, and that's just how life is. That has nothing to do with going from "being obsessed with things" to "being obsessed with nothing", which I would argue is not even a real state of mind, or is at best a very loose description. Secondly, he clearly is "obsessed" with Mayaka already, so he's wrong about himself. Thirdly, his state of contentment should put him in a better position to be in a relationship, his past overly competitive nature might have gotten in the way. He's just obsessed with being an idiot, is all.

I can understand him wanting to be a "free spirit" that isn't tied down to anyone one person, or interest, but he should realize that he is quite attached to his friends/Mayaka, more so than he would like to believe.

Congratulations, you don't have any issues with OCD. Perhapse I took his comments about obsession to have a more pathological nature, but people that tend toward OCD are at a whole different level when it comes to "obsessing" over things. In other words, it wasn't about competitiveness, it was about obsession. He has been trying to avoid situations where he would obsess over things, to the point that it has become an obsession itself, which is pathological from my point of view. The fact that his obsession about avoiding obsession has ended up hurting a young lady whom he confessed to his best friend that he loves suggests that it is a problem.

egoplant said:
The first episode with actual character development, and it's the second to last.

You seem to have been watching a different show that I. Perhaps this is the first one with explicit character development that the characters talked about on the screen, but there has been plenty of character development along the way. Mayaka, Eru, Satoshi, and Houtarou have all developed a lot, but Houtarou the most of all of them. His friends have even commented on it, to the point of teasing him about being ill when he wants to go to the library to look something up a few episodes ago.

This was a good episode in terms of explaining Satoshi's behavior in earlier episodes. In particular, it explains why he had such rigid control of himself after figuring out that he was trying to compete with Houtarou and the snide, snarky prick that he was in the trivia contest with. At one point he seemed to force himself to stop, which makes more sense now.

I don't really understand all of the Chitanda hate in the forums. Sure, she was a bit of a prick to people in this episode, but she was completely distraught over the fact that she thought she was responsible for Mayaka's hand made chocolate being "stolen". It was not only was it her best friend's expression of love to the guy she has crushed on for years. Since her family traditions preclude her doing things like giving gifts on Valentine's Day, I think she also was treating Myaka's chocolate as a symbolic replacement for her desire to express her feelings to a certain someone that she is still too shy to even tell her Mayaka that she likes. (I'm guessing her family is fairly strict on Japanese traditions, since they are an old family with roots that reach way back into the edo period, live in a traditional Japanese estate, and have traditionally been the family that represents all the people of the area in presenting gifts to the "local gods" at festival times. That was what she was doing in episode 19, by the way, presenting a bottle of sake at the shrine as an offering. That is why she was so worried about bringing shame to her father by being caught in a compromising situation.)

The biggest thing that happened in this episode, in my opinion, was how angry the normally laid back Houtarou got at Satoshi because of the fact that his stupidity hurt Eru. Yes, it has been clear for a very long time that he is in love with her, from the first episode really, but even more so through the cultural festival arc. The fact that he flat out told Mayaka that she is someone he cannot say no to sealed the deal. This is further evidence that he has fallen beyond the point of no return. He just told his best friend that his hurting Chitanda was something he couldn't abide. That is just one step away from a confession! (Or maybe two episodes away... but I expect there will be a movie for that...)

1lau said:
So many theories and drama
Somehow I knew the chocolate was in the bag, once it was shown the first time
2 bad its going to end next week :(

ANN reports it as 24 episodes now, with the final air-date being 9/30/2012. (But both this site and ANN are user edited, so who knows.)
Sep 11, 2012 8:24 AM

Jun 2011
I didn't even realize that was 'supposed' to be the final ep xD oh wells, at least I know its highly likely to have a second season now :D

Good episode :)
Sep 11, 2012 9:24 AM

Jul 2012
I never thought Satoshi would be such a weakling. Damn you Satoshi.

Am i the only one that think Satoshi would be the perfect antagonist for Oreki? Like this crazy atmosphere when he explains to Oreki why he stole the chocolate. And his laugh! This gave me creeps. D:
Sep 11, 2012 9:31 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
zensunni said:
(lots of stuff)
Thumbs up
Sep 11, 2012 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
zensunni said:
Congratulations, you don't have any issues with OCD. Perhapse I took his comments about obsession to have a more pathological nature, but people that tend toward OCD are at a whole different level when it comes to "obsessing" over things. In other words, it wasn't about competitiveness, it was about obsession. He has been trying to avoid situations where he would obsess over things, to the point that it has become an obsession itself, which is pathological from my point of view. The fact that his obsession about avoiding obsession has ended up hurting a young lady whom he confessed to his best friend that he loves suggests that it is a problem.

Satoshi doesn't have OCD though, so I don't know what your point is (or at least, there is little throughout the series to suggest he might, and much to suggest he doesn't). They can't just start contradicting what his was character throughout the entire series now, although I wouldn't put it past them. Hyouka's reasoning was "he liked to win at arcade games" -> he used to have an obsessive personality, which is stupid. It doesn't make any sense, just like what you're suggesting. "Avoiding situations where obsession could occur", so like, anything? Life? What does that even mean? It doesn't mean anything, imo. I agree though, there is obviously something wrong with him.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 11, 2012 9:39 AM

Jul 2010
I would put my money on a movie before a 2nd season. There are only five novels, the fourth of which is a collection of short stories, which we are getting the bulk of now. (The episodes between "The Niece of Time" and "Why didn't she ask EBA?" (The book title of volume 2 - the mystery movie arc) were also from volume 4. Here is the episode count per novel so far:

1. Hyouka - You can't escape - The Niece of Time: Episodes 1-5
2. The Credit Roll of the Fool - Why didn't she ask EBA?: Episodes 8-11
3. The Kudryavka Sequence - Welcome to KANYA FEST!: Episodes 12-17
4. The Doll that Took a Detour - Little birds can remember: Episodes 6, 7, 18-22
5. he Approximation of the Distance of Two - It walks by past: None so far.

Episode 11.5 appears to be anime only, as it doesn't match up to any of the short stories. (There are seven short stories in novel 4. All of the episodes listed as with novel 4 that have aired have said "Little Birds Can remember" at the end, and the next one is "The Doll that Took a Detour."

I have only read parts of novel 1 and the beginning of novel 3, which is all that is translated on Baka Tsuki from than novel and as far as they have gotten. From the title of novel 5, I have to assume the main emphasis of it is the gradual decrease in the "distance" between two of the main characters until that "distance" becomes 0 cm, with the point of contact being the lips. That would make for a good movie.

Interestingly, ANN lists the series as having 24 episodes now, as I mentioned earlier, but there are no more short stories to cover. If there really are 24 episodes, that means we are in for two anime-only episodes at the end, which smells like an "Anime-Only" ending instead of completing the show by doing the final novel. That would be sad, but as long as it ends with Houtarou firmly intertwined around Eru's little finger and her in his arms, preferably kissing, I don't care!

If it doesn't end like that and they don't make a movie, I will be sad.

Regardless, given the astounding popularity of the show, if Kyano doesn't make a follow-up movie or TV series or set of OVAs for Hyouka, they are the dumbest company on the face of the earth. There's gold in them there cells, my friends!

Post-Josh said:
zensunni said:

Satoshi doesn't have OCD though, so I don't know what your point is (or at least, there is little throughout the series to suggest he might, and much to suggest he doesn't). They can't just start contradicting what his was character throughout the entire series now, although I wouldn't put it past them. Hyouka's reasoning was "he liked to win at arcade games" -> he used to have an obsessive personality, which is stupid. It doesn't make any sense, just like what you're suggesting. "Avoiding situations where obsession could occur", so like, anything? Life? What does that even mean? It doesn't mean anything, imo. I agree though, there is obviously something wrong with him.

Yes! Even with her tsundere personality, anybody that would hesitate to accept the affections of a beautiful, talented, and kindhearted girl like Mayaka Ibara for any reason other than, "I'm already in a committed relationship", "I'm gay", or "I am madly in love with someone else" has clearly got some major problems! It's not like he is agreeing to marry her. If it doesn't work out they go their separate ways and meet someone new. Since he admits that he has feelings for her, I can only assume that he is either not right in the head or a first class jackass. Maybe both!

I would suggest that his behavior during the Kanya Fest arc does suggest that he has a tendency toward OCD. He was pretty scarily intense when he was trying to solve the mystery before Houtarou. But, on the whole, you are correct that they didn't really present him as obsessive. They didn't show us much about any of their lives in middle school up to this point though...
zensunniSep 11, 2012 9:48 AM
Sep 11, 2012 11:50 AM

May 2011
I got ninja'd with there being an episode after 21. I'm glad they went straight forward with the rejection here. I hate it when romance episodes play around and leave a more broad ending.
Sep 11, 2012 3:03 PM

Jan 2012
Satoshi is God.

And this is a good type of romance. No soppy stuff destroying the actual damn story.
Sep 11, 2012 3:36 PM

Jul 2008
Satoshi is the worst.
Sep 11, 2012 6:49 PM

Jul 2011
The second half of this show continues to impress with yet another great episode. Man, has this series hit it's stride. The biggest change is that the characters are experiencing more drama and are interacting with each other on a closer level and it makes the series so much better.
Sep 11, 2012 7:00 PM

Jul 2009
I wanna deck Satoshi
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Sep 11, 2012 9:36 PM

Feb 2010
Satoshi came off as kinda a dumbass, but I get where he's coming from.

Orecki is hawt when he's assertive... ;)
Sep 11, 2012 9:59 PM

Jul 2008
Crazy time skips lately. The past three episodes went from November 1st to January 1st to February 14th.
Sep 11, 2012 11:41 PM

Sep 2012
Why all the hate for Satoshi?

In the past,, when he obsessed over things, like winning, you all saw how he was: He was a sore loser, got angry, and did anything to win. AKA an asshole.

He thinks that if he responds to Ibara's feelings that he will go back to being obsessive. And instead of obsessing over winning, he will be obsessing over her.

Basically, he feels that he wouldn't be able to control his feelings and actions with her, and is scared of turning into a jerk/asshole boyfriend, which he knows from experience, would probably happen.
Sep 12, 2012 6:02 AM

Jul 2012
I do feel sorry for Mayaka, not having her feelings reciprocated after all that effort put in must be really painful for her. What made it worse was that she knew all along that Satoshi was the one who "stole" it.

Many people hate Satoshi after this episode, and i can understand why (even though i don't agree). I kind of get where he's coming from. When he was obsessed over something, it resulted in negative changes both for himself and the people around him. He's simply afraid that the same thing might happen if he gets obsessed with Mayaka as he calls it. He believes that he is not ready for a relationship yet.

Still, its good to know that the love between Satoshi and Mayaka isn't one sided. Still my favourite couple in the series compared to Oreki and Chitanda. That phone call at the end better be a confession of his true feelings. Or at least i hope so =P
Sep 12, 2012 9:37 AM

Oct 2011
BenGJH said:
I do feel sorry for Mayaka, not having her feelings reciprocated after all that effort put in must be really painful for her. What made it worse was that she knew all along that Satoshi was the one who "stole" it.

It's painfull, but at the same time, it's a clear answer : it's a twisted way to accept something without accepting it or refusing it.

That's why Mayaka is pissed, and not sad... I bet she really want to yell at Satoshi "Stop running away !".
Sep 12, 2012 3:40 PM

Jul 2010
Really Satoshi? That's your way to tell Mayaka you can't have her because you'd get obsessive about her? I really hope what he told her by phone at the end was positive and not a final decline.

Only one more TV episode left! Nooooo!11

Sep 12, 2012 8:37 PM

Feb 2011
I love Satoshi's character. Throughout the series he proved to be rather deep and fascinating to me.

Even though Oreki's still my favourite. The best main character this year, yet.
He was pretty awesome this time, again.

Only one episode left. Really hope it won't be the last in the series. Need a second season hard.
Sep 13, 2012 1:29 AM

Aug 2011
Amazing episode. Satoshi's revelation was very sad and I didn't expect that of his character. Have some self-control once in a while. Well, he's always been in Oreki's shadow so hardly anything turns out perfect for him.
Sep 13, 2012 11:38 AM

Jun 2009
Fukube is just gay (for Oreki). Simple as that.
Sep 13, 2012 12:43 PM

Mar 2011
grandy_UiD said:
Fukube is just gay (for Oreki). Simple as that.

Haha! Truth right there!
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.