Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2008 4:16 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Things just got way more complicated with the introduction of Earth as a potential newcomer into the mix. So that makes Earth, Empire, Alliance, and possibly Phezzan since it looked like Rubinsky was also plotting against the Grand Bishop. From the looks of it, the Grand Bishiop has been planning something for a very long time. I wonder how many forces he has amassed?

Friedrich's death was rather sudden. At first I was surprised that both Lichtenlade and Reinhard banded together to get Erwin on the throne. Lichtenlade always gave the impression that he hated Reinhard's dramatic rise. But thinking about it more, that's probably their best move. The kid isn't going to have any clout so he can be the next puppet king. Sieg said that they were in the midst of planning how to counter an eventual civil war so the kid's ascension to power will probably be anything but smooth. Muckenberger is a smart man by retiring early and staying out of it all.

Yang looks in best shape out of the bunch for now. He's got a bit promotion, major post, and a hand picked crew. The only problem I can see on his end is Truniht now that he's council leader. Now that he's in top position he'll have a lot of say in what will happen from here on out.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 11, 2008 2:44 AM

Apr 2008
Wow! Three cape flares by Reinhard in one episode! Does this guy liek drama or what?

More Star Wars.

I can see the final episode now... an epic light saber duel between Yang and Reinhard! I wonder who has the red one?

4/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 8, 2008 1:47 PM

Sep 2007
LoveWifeLunch said:
More Star Wars.

rofl. I want to see that Bishop guy shoot lightning out of his fingers.

That aside, what a weird introduction for Earth. Apparently there's some cult living there plotting to overthrow both the Alliance and the Empire? Assuming Phezzan doesn't get in the way... which, it obviously will.

"Don't doublecross us Rubinsky!"

*rolleyes*
Aug 25, 2008 1:12 AM

Feb 2008
Dang, things are getting really interesting now with Phezzan and Earth ... I thought it'd only be a matter of time before Phezzan revealed a little more.

Yang's promotion was great.
Oct 26, 2008 6:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
omg! it's Palpatine!!!

I had a good laugh at that... was that supposed to be a parody?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 16, 2009 7:21 AM

Jan 2008
wakka9ca said:
omg! it's Palpatine!!!

I had a good laugh at that... was that supposed to be a parody?

It felt more like prequel Lucas parodying LotGH!

Reinhard getting his sis back was nice.

A good episode, but I wish there was a bit more drama in having Julian enter military life. A pretty big development, no? You'd expect Yang to be against it heavily.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 7, 2009 6:57 AM

Apr 2009
I was just as dissapointed as Reinhard that Friedrich died, I couldn't wait for the moment Reinhard would grab the old bastard's by the throat and get his long-delayed revenge... but at least Annerose was freed a little earlier than she would had Friedrich lived long enough for Reinhard to kill.
Jun 18, 2009 4:10 PM

Apr 2009
Man, I was really expecting for Reinhard to piledrive Friedrich and take his place as Kaiser...but I guess thats not gonna happen. Oh well, Im still 100% sure that he will become the Kaiser eventually, but I dont think it will be as dramatic.

Jul 28, 2009 3:42 AM

Jun 2009
I think Friedrich dying this early was a brilliant move from a story stand point. It was completely unexpected, much like life and it sort of gave me the feeling that anything can happen now.

As for Julian joining the military, it was forshadowed in earlier episodes. I guess the best way to keep him safe, was for Yang to put him on his crew. And it's nice to see things come together with the ED now.

And, I don't think it's fair to compare this to star wars. This may just beat it out, I mean it's already shown us things that those movies would never dare.

5/5
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 29, 2009 2:07 PM

Dec 2008
Cool, Yang got promoted.

It was nice to see Reinhard getting his sister back.

I'm really wondering about this "Earth Cult".

Things keep getting more and more interesting.
Aug 5, 2009 3:31 PM

Jan 2009
Haha, it's interesting to see some people's reactions to the episode. I'll agree though, that the High Priest from the Earth Cult had me believing he was a Palpatine lookalike. It seems that Rubinsky's got a lot on his hands recently. And knowing Frederich died certainly came as a surprise, possibly stealing what ever just desserts Reinhard was planning for him.

Yang seems to be in better spirits now that he's decided to become the commander of Iserlohn and personally staff it with capable individuals. I'm eager to see what role Julian will play now that he's arrived.
Sep 17, 2009 12:38 PM

Nov 2008
Ah ah Reinhard is becoming such a badass.
And he's now a marquise... Like Wang Ling promoted.

Oh and Star Wars was there before, just check the date.
Sep 17, 2009 2:47 PM

Jun 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
Ah ah Reinhard is becoming such a badass.
And he's now a marquise... Like Wang Ling promoted.

Oh and Star Wars was there before, just check the date.

Doesn't mean it's better, just because it came out first. Besides Beatnik was talking about the prequels, which did come after LoGH.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 17, 2009 2:57 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah I dont think there's any question Star Wars came out before LotGh dude, lol.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 17, 2009 3:02 PM

Nov 2008
So, I said Star Wars was there before.
Did I said that it's better because it was there before?
Sep 17, 2009 4:17 PM

Jun 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
So, I said Star Wars was there before.
Did I said that it's better because it was there before?

So.. did you even read second the second sentence?

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 18, 2009 2:45 AM

Nov 2008
Yes but I was just responding to the first sentence.
Now as far as I know, holograms were used in the three movies sequels.
Sep 18, 2009 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
Look, the point is that LotGH has traits seen in the Star Wars franchise, yet excels with them in a way Lucas's movies dont. It's not about which came first, or about one ripping off the other, its about who makes use of genre traits better. The answer, in my opinion, is LotGH.

My first post in this thread was a put down of Lucas, humurously claiming that he was emulating LotGH.

End of story.
Sep 18, 2009 12:46 PM

Feb 2005
And let's not forget that Lucas ripped of many other things too, like that old Samurai movie, whatever it was called.
Sep 19, 2009 7:19 AM

Jan 2008
Can you imagine if Toshiro Mifune had played Obi Wan? Holy crap.

But anyway, back on topic I guess.
Nov 11, 2009 10:49 AM

Dec 2008
The story is becoming quite complicated and enjoyable yet my main impression of the episode is nevertheless the coolness of Reinhard's cape. ;)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jun 16, 2010 5:46 PM

Jul 2008
Reinhard tries his hardest to get power... Yang tries to retire and instead keeps getting promoted. Poor Reinhard was born in the wrong country.

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THIS SHOW, SOMEONE HELP ME ;___;

BEGINNER
Jul 19, 2010 11:31 AM
Jun 2010
Finally Yang is an Admiral. Things can only get serious from this point.

Aug 11, 2010 9:55 PM

May 2010
Hmm, I'm not ready to call it better than star wars just yet. There is a lot of brilliance in those movies that can't be brushed aside simply because so far LOTGH has a slightly more complicated plot. However, we still have something like 84 episodes left, and if it keeps improving at the rate it has been, I'll be ready to call it better than star wars in 20 episodes.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 25, 2010 3:21 PM

Jan 2010
it was one of the best episodes so far :-)
I liked the scene between reinhardt and his sister

btw what's with the scary bishop guy?

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 26, 2010 11:45 AM

Feb 2010
clannad4ever said:

Cause we all know priest are child molesters and bishops aren't an exception
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2010 12:00 AM

Sep 2008
MelbShaw said:
clannad4ever said:

Cause we all know priest are child molesters and bishops aren't an exception

hahaha...
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 16, 2010 6:35 PM

May 2010
Palpatine!

You know, I just stopped caring at the end when they introduced more characters. I only remember Julian, the girl, the fat guy in the gaiden, and that guy who never smiles in the gaiden and Dusty
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 14, 2011 5:52 PM

Aug 2009
Confucius said:
Palpatine!

You know, I just stopped caring at the end when they introduced more characters. I only remember Julian, the girl, the fat guy in the gaiden, and that guy who never smiles in the gaiden and Dusty

there are way too many characters for me to bother remembering them all. So as a rule for this series I will start remembering a character when he/ she does something interesting.

Umm I guess they have lightsabers in Gundam so why shouldn't LotGH have Palpatine? He is a badass anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing him cloned in various animes, just like Char has been cloned 999999999 times.
Jul 5, 2011 4:24 PM

Feb 2010
Silverhammer said:
The story is becoming quite complicated and enjoyable yet my main impression of the episode is nevertheless the coolness of Reinhard's cape. ;)
I second this. Just as Sigmund would put it: "His excellency's cape is like a layer of hope, covering the magnificent body of the oppressed people of the empire" or something like that.
Jul 31, 2011 9:13 PM

Aug 2010
Shit is gonna hit the fan pretty soon
Aug 1, 2011 8:16 PM
Jun 2011
20 million casualties....that's crazy! I was very surprised the King died so suddenly...I would have thought they would have led into it more, but looks like Reinhard is in a good spot. Earth? I was like...whuuuuuuuut! Great episode!
Aug 24, 2011 10:30 PM
Jul 2010
dammit I hate the Earth cult. They're a cancer on this otherwise fantastic story. Seriously there isn't a single plot development they cause, throughout all 110 episodes, that makes more sense than a children's cartoon.

Good for Reinhard and Kircheis, getting Annerose back.
Oct 11, 2011 6:49 PM

Mar 2011
Yang promoted to Admiral, Reinhard gets his sister back and now Earth's into the mix. Some cool stuff is going on here.
TowardsTheStarsOct 11, 2011 6:52 PM
Nov 2, 2011 3:04 PM

Apr 2009
Why it's Julian who faces Reinhard in the last scene of the ending song instead of Yang?
I think it will mean something in the future episodes
Dec 12, 2011 8:20 PM

Sep 2009
Was not expecting the Kaiser to die already.
Holy shit thats brilliant storytelling.
Mar 19, 2012 3:04 AM

Feb 2012
A good episode. I didn't really care for the last few episodes but now we're back on track. Maybe I just don't find the space battles that interesting or realistic compared to the political struggles.
Apr 14, 2012 12:34 PM

Feb 2012
"I've learned that there are two currents of thought in human society. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life, and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When people begin to fight, it's on the pretext of the former type of people, and it justifies the latter when they stop. For how many hundreds...how many thousands of years has that been continuing?"

...that's heavy-hitting. I'd want some brandy after saying that, too.

The concept behind the "Earth Cult" has been driven to death in science fiction (and had already been driven to death by the 80s), so I wouldn't mind if the Cult doesn't play a large role in the story.
May 24, 2012 10:50 PM

Jun 2009
It's scary how much changed in one episode: The Kaiser died, Yang was promoted and is in charge of Iserlohn, Reinhard gained power by becoming the Marquis of the young Kaiser, he finally succeeded in liberating Annerose, the Earth Cult was revealed, and Julian joined the military. Talk about progress.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 25, 2012 2:09 PM

Feb 2012
insan3soldiern said:
It's scary how much changed in one episode: The Kaiser died, Yang was promoted and is in charge of Iserlohn, Reinhard gained power by becoming the Marquis of the young Kaiser, he finally succeeded in liberating Annerose, the Earth Cult was revealed, and Julian joined the military. Talk about progress.

I'm still watching LOGH -- just started season 4 -- but I'm looking back at this episode as one of the most significant in the series. Because the Kaiser died of natural causes, I wonder how different history would've been if he had made it another one or two years.
Nov 2, 2012 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
Ah, all the symbolism... The crown and the stairs lol.

This is really getting good now.
Mar 21, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
I'm still watching LOGH -- just started season 4 -- but I'm looking back at this episode as one of the most significant in the series. Because the Kaiser died of natural causes, I wonder how different history would've been if he had made it another one or two years.

Reinhard would have gained even more power and probably killed the emperor.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

May 30, 2013 10:07 AM

Nov 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
"I've learned that there are two currents of thought in human society. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life, and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When people begin to fight, it's on the pretext of the former type of people, and it justifies the latter when they stop. For how many hundreds...how many thousands of years has that been continuing?"

Thank you for catching that. I wrote down a paraphrase, but this quote's much nicer. Yang is this fantastic font of wisdom.

Both governments, as Yang pointed out in a previous episode, are "bad", so I'm not entirely sure which side I'm routing for. I typically prefer aristocracies to democracies just because, but I have little more reason for bias besides that. Perhaps I will have a better idea as more is revealed of both sides, but corruption exists everywhere. I'm not yet drawn to either ideology (at least the little of each I've seen). I'm finding myself more wrapped up in personalities (Reinhard's overwhelming romantic views or simply my preference for Yang as a character).

--WHOA HIGH BISHOP? Nevermind, I've decided which side is cooler. I mean seriously, what was that! I had to rewind and watch that again. Secret room hidden behind a bookcase--I was so caught off-guard by that. I can't stop laughing, help.
Jun 7, 2013 3:08 PM

Dec 2012
Another blatant star wars rip off. Plus a secret bookcase room, played out "earth cult" concept, and a "boy genius" trope. Ummm. Alright. And am I the only one who thought it was lame how Reinhard just forgave his subordinate after some half-assed logic by Kircheis? I was expecting him to be like "Ok. We won't have an investigation as to his guilt." "Then Kircheis would rejoice and Reinhard would say "We'll just execute him here and now" and Kircheis would cry himself to sleep while wanking to thoughts of the dude's sister. I like it when Reinhard is cold blooded. Dude's subordinates are gonna take advantage of his apparent weakness now.
PolyphemusJun 7, 2013 3:15 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 8, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2011
insan3soldiern said:

Definitely yes. I don't blame all those veterans for retiring lol. I also would add in the the newly appointed head of the High-Council; I wonder how he's going to do things now. I'm also glad ADMIRAL Yang is finally getting to do things his way too; his hand-picked crew looks top-notch (he's got trusted friends, those 2 epic fighter-pilots, and he even sneaked in his subordinate)

Man, this one episode and the buildup to it holds more to it than some other anime will ever accomplish in an entirety lol. That scene with Reinhard/Sieg and Annerose will never be forgotten.

What a journey... and it's only about to get bigger!

5/5
Kayaba-Jul 8, 2013 10:09 PM
Sep 12, 2013 7:05 AM

Nov 2009
Wow, why does that supposedly holy dude or whatever appear to be a Sith lord? Anyways, good stuff. And glad that Reinhard didn't punish his admiral that messed up, he needs all the allies he can get right now.
Sep 25, 2014 7:35 AM

Dec 2013
Kircheis is officially my favourite character now. Good on him to set Reinhard straight when he was being too strict to Bittenfeld. And I'm really starting to hate the artificial eyes advisor. It seems like Kircheis and him will have a show down eventually...GO KIRCHEIS!!!!!!

Great episode.

P.S. Really hoping to see Yang Wen Li and Lt. Greenhill get together!!! XDDD
ScrabbleSep 25, 2014 7:39 AM
Oct 29, 2014 10:07 PM

Mar 2012
I like how the pedo Kaiser died off-screen. Well at least Reinhard's sister is finally free from that weirdo.
Nov 13, 2014 11:02 PM

Jun 2014
What exactly is a Marquis? I'm not familiar with any of these royal rankings
Feb 4, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2012
Epic episode! Really loved this especially that ending! Looking forward to see what's next!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

134 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.