Forum Settings
Forums

I want to try watching long running anime, anything I should know?

New
Dec 27, 2017 2:24 PM
Feb 2017
I've never really tried watching long running anime series because they're way too long and I usually prefer to finish an anime somewhat quickly. However, I feel like I should try it. I may end up liking it.

First off, what long running anime should I start with?

Second off, how fast should I watch it to complete it in two months? Watch 10 episodes a day? 50?

Just tell me everything I should know before starting a long running series. I'd probably try to binge watch it and marathon the whole thing in a month or so.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 27, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama and just watch at your own pace
Dec 27, 2017 2:28 PM

May 2014
Just watch it at your own pace, don't force yourself to watch more if you don't want to.
Dec 27, 2017 2:29 PM

May 2010
Abe091 said:
I've never really tried watching long running anime series because they're way too long and I usually prefer to finish an anime somewhat quickly. However, I feel like I should try it. I may end up liking it.

Second off, how fast should I watch it to complete it in two months? Watch 10 episodes a day? 50?

Just tell me everything I should know before starting a long running series. I'd probably try to binge watch it and marathon the whole thing in a month or so.

Question A) Depends on your general taste, or if you've ever been predisposed to long running anime before i.e. Naruto / DragonBall Z. Also depends on what you define as long running. Most people define long running as north of 100 episodes, but extremely long ones like Detective Conan and One Piece have crossed the 800 mark.

I'd start off modest with something like Yu Yu Hakusho (112 eps) or Hunter x Hunter 2011 (149 eps) to get a feel for it. Those are also two of the most acclaimed. If you wanna go completely "Big Dick" just watch Detective Conan.

b) There's no right or wrong pace. If you can do 10 a day on an 800 episode series you can get caught up in 80 days or less than three months, which is fantastic pacing. But rather than forcing yourself a set number each day, i'd just watch it at a pace you feel comfortable with, otherwise you'll get worn down.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Dec 27, 2017 2:29 PM

Jun 2010
Well, I like to watch long running animes too and the advice I can give you is to divide a series in arcs, and watch one arc at a time.

When people look at One Piece, they see a series with 800+ episodes.
When I look at One Piece I see 48 different animes that share the same cast.
Dec 27, 2017 2:30 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Unless you're actually fast, shows like one piece/Naruto will take 2 motnhs if you do around 10-15e+ a day. Shows like hxh or inuyasha can take half a month to a month at 10+ eps a day.

Personally if you REALLY wanna get through the long shows fast, it's better to just read the manga.
Dec 27, 2017 2:33 PM

May 2016
Hunter x Hunter (2011) is the only very long running show I watched, but it's because it's the only one I got hooked. It's very good and the best part is that everything is important so there's no filler and "canon filler".

Monogatari is also a long running show, and it's one of my favorites of all time. There is going to be a sequel this 2018, so I think it would be the best time to start it. Though if you don't like dialogue...

Why you need to complete it so fast? Give yourself time because if you force yourself you aren't gonna enjoy it.
Dec 27, 2017 2:57 PM
Dec 2017
Hunter x Hunter definitely, I'd say it's the best shonen out there
Dec 27, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
Break the viewing experience up so you don't get tired of it - watch a few short arcs or a long arc then take a break and watch something else for a while and come back to it fresh. You can end up disliking even a great anime if you burn out on it by over-binging, or you risk the whole experience becoming a blur if you don't let it sink in.

E.G. Hunter x Hunter can be divided into:

Season 1 - Hunter/Zoldyck (26 episodes, 2 of which are recaps anyway)
Season 2 - Heavens Arena (12)
Season 3 - Phantom Troupe (20)
Season 4 - Greed Island (17)
Season 5 - Chimera Ant (61)
Season 6 - Election (12)
removed-userDec 27, 2017 3:04 PM
Dec 27, 2017 3:04 PM

Apr 2017
Use http://www.animefillerlist.com to know which episodes to skip.
Dec 27, 2017 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
lol if you plan to watch a long running anime you shouldn't force yourself to watch it. Just pick the one that seems the most interesting and watch it at a pace comfortable for you. You'll just get burned out if you force yourself to watch 10 episodes a day.
Dec 27, 2017 3:23 PM

Sep 2017
i recommend dragon ball z / super - Fairy tail
Dec 27, 2017 3:29 PM

Oct 2010
Abe091 said:

Just start one. Don't think too much about it. Overthinking and taking too many considerations before watching a show will affect your enjoyment. Long-running anime is not supposed to be an effort or a hurdle, it should be a pleasant journey and it's up to you to decide if it's worth going on or not.

Abe091 said:

With 10-15 episodes a day you should be able to catch up to One Piece, which is one of the longest running. The rest you can manage with 10 a day. One way or the other don't obsess with catching up. You can pick your own pace. It's not like the series is going to disappear because you spend too much time to reach the latest episode or something.
Dec 27, 2017 3:35 PM

Apr 2015
Take your time, take it easy, don't hurry, enjoy it & feel it.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Dec 27, 2017 3:50 PM

Sep 2017
Watch Hunter x hunter is the most respected long runnning shounen.
Dec 27, 2017 4:05 PM

Sep 2015
so just to make it sound more believable, like many others have already said, try starting out with HxH (2011)
It gets you hooked really quick and has like 2 recap episodes and no filler at all (unlike most other long running shows..)
Dec 27, 2017 4:06 PM
Dec 2016
OhTaKuSo said:
Gintama and just watch at your own pace

Agreed, im watching it currently and enjoying it at my own pace.

HxH 2011 isnt a bad shout aswell.
Dec 27, 2017 4:07 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I have had trouble with the same feeling, and somebody told me to try to divide it up to ease the transition of watching something long after having watched almost exclusively short things - just divide it up by arc. Watch an arc, stop for a bit and watch a few other things, then when you feel like getting back to it start a new arc. Rather than trying to bullrush it and nosedive right in to finish in a couple of months.

It's worked well for me so far so might help you as well, I guess.

Dec 27, 2017 4:10 PM

Apr 2016
If you start a long running series, don't be afraid to drop it. Fans always say a show gets better, which it sometimes does, but if you hate it from the start, it isn't going to magically turn into your favorite anime on episode 158.
Dec 27, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2017
Hunter x Hunter is a really good anime, I highly recommend every anime fan at least try it

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Dec 27, 2017 4:37 PM

Jan 2017
MegaMaverick said:
Use http://www.animefillerlist.com to know which episodes to skip.

If an anime has episodes that are so bad that you need to skip them then it's not a good anime.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Dec 27, 2017 4:44 PM
Feb 2017
Even though almost everyone here already mentioned it, I'm gonna say again: Hunter x Hunter, which is a great one, and I'd recommend you to watch it first because, at least imo, it has many different attractive elements, such as an interesting story, that makes you want to know even more about the world and the hunters,motivating you to keep on watching, an awesome soundtrack, awesome action scenes, and great looks in general.

About the watching pace, I'm gonna say what I went through when I was marathoning One Piece: I was watching around 10-12 eps a day, making pauses to sleep, eat, and rest sometimes. Also, I don't completely agree on watching only when you feel like doing so, because there were times that I was hardly able to watch it (like in Davy Back Fight Arc, or some other earlier arcs), because of the slow progression, old animation, etc(that may not be an issue to everyone) but I kept watching against my will for a few episodes until it got progressively better and I started, watching it way more willingly and faster(Although this is not something to follow blindly, sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't, but today I'm catch up with the anime loving it).

After Hunter x Hunter, I'd recommend Gintama(50 first eps or so were in general too boring for me, but after that, it started getting really fucking awesome though: good comedy in general, legendary in a few eps; fucking amazing serious arcs; and the relationship between the members of Yorozuya is so far one of the best I've ever seen in a shounen), One Piece(early arcs may be a bit boring, but try talking to some other people that have already watched it, to comment about it or to hype you in someway(that worked forme at least), maybe Fairy Tail(a nice shounen to start with as well, being quite enjoyable from the get go) and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure(113 eps plus around 500 chapters, getting better each part imo).
Dec 27, 2017 4:46 PM
Jan 2013
Rule number one: whenever in doubt, read the mango instead
gone bai bai
Dec 27, 2017 5:16 PM

Apr 2017
Longest I've watched is Hunter X Hunter, and haven't even finished it. But my advice is to watch one arc at a time. Meaning you watch an arc, then take a break, then keep watching. I dropped HxH because chimera arc is over 60 episodes I think, and I find it to be a bit too much.

The other long anime I've watched is Monster, 75 episodes. It is just one big story, but you don't have to binge watch it. In fact, it doesn't lend itself to binge-watching, unlike shonen tipe of anime.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 5:19 PM

Feb 2015
Skip fillers... They ruin it for you...

But don't skip the Naruto Shippuden Guren arc... That ones good...

Watch One Piece... Best long runner alive... Don't drop until you reach the Water City and War arc... Also... Don't get attached to Ace
Dec 27, 2017 5:20 PM

Sep 2009
Don't worry, long-running series are filled with arcs and subplots, so there are plenty of "stopping points" that shouldn't leave you too unsatisfied.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 27, 2017 5:23 PM

Aug 2017
Be ready. I always got to 20-something on a 100~ episode series before I stopped.
Dec 27, 2017 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Just watch the episodes whenever you feel like it.
Dec 27, 2017 7:59 PM

Mar 2017
Remember that there is point of diminishing returns. With some shows there will be a point where your enjoyment and time spent don't add up. That's when you drop it. If someone says it gets good, realize that statement is trying to make you gamble. Gamble that their subjective experience will equate to your enjoyment, while you might want to take that gamble you might lose it. That's all there is to it.

come, you sweet hour of death
Dec 27, 2017 8:12 PM

Aug 2015
One Piece!
Is... What I want to say... But since you're a starter for long running anime, I wouldn't recommend it tho..

For starter, I think you might want to try Hunter X Hunter (2011) first. It's still below 150 episodes so you can still watch it at your own pace in two months. And I don't think there's many boring filler in it (?)[I watched it long ago.. I forgot about it already lol XD]

But "If" you decided to watch One Piece, from my experience, I stopped halfway first in Skypia Arc because it was really boring for me and decided to take a brake for months until I started it again. But the rest of the story is worth watching and even made me break my watching record. (I watched 40 episodes a day at that time lol). So in other words, there will be a time when you felt really bored watching it. And at that time, I recommend you yo put it on-hold instead of dropping it. >v^

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Dec 27, 2017 8:18 PM

Nov 2014
Honestly I'm not particularly interested in pulling you to any long running series in particular.

As for speed of watching, the fact that you even question could be an indicator that you no longer have the ability to just blaze through anime as most beginners do. Just watch when you feel like watching.

If a long series is becoming a struggle to watch (and you are determined not to drop it), then consider just going back and forth between that long running series and short ones. It'll help.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 27, 2017 8:22 PM

Apr 2017
Go at a pace that is comfortable to you. Do not be afraid to take breaks. If you get burned out on it, there are a lot of other anime you can watch until you feel like watching more. That's how I got through One Piece... though I enjoyed it a lot more before the time skip (if you start now, you'll probably catch up during the best arc in years)

I'd personally recommend Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Dragon Ball through Z (you can watch Kai instead of Z if you want better pacing)

I'd personally recommend staying away from Fairy Tail, Black Clover, Bleach, and Gintama

note that these are my personal tastes, so you may not like all the ones I recommend and may like some I'd recommend against
The_Missing_LinkDec 27, 2017 8:26 PM
Dec 27, 2017 8:30 PM

Jul 2016
Hunter x Hunter and Gintama are the only ones that have decent pacing.

I would try to skip filler and switch to the manga source material if you find it a slog.
Dec 27, 2017 8:40 PM

May 2017
I don't now how long you want it to be. But I'd high recommend Yu Yu Hakusho, its around 100 episodes. Its slow at first but it really picks up and has a great cast, I really enjoyed it. The trick to the long ones (100+) is that you shouldn't feel like you have to force yourself to keep watching. Only watch a couple episodes a day and you'll finish it a month or so, and if you find that you have to see what happens next and watch 10-15+ episodes a day then you will finish it within a week (like myself). Anyway, I'm not sure if you will like it, but I was obsessed with it and find myself thinking about it or rewatching a certain episode at least twice a week now. I hope you consider giving it a watch, if not all good. I hope you find a show you like :)
Dec 27, 2017 8:54 PM

Aug 2013
During the neckbeard era of my life I was blitzing through 100 episode+ series like nothing, 100-150 episodes in a month is what I averaged during my...."peak". You could try what I did, which was 4 episodes a day, Never any breaks and when one series finished, I just moved on to the other. But even during the zenith of my obesity induced faggorty I never put THAT much thought into how to watch an anime, I just....watched it.
.Suggested series
1) Yu Yu Hakusho
2) Major (segmented into 6 seasons)
3) Fist of the North Star
4) Dragon Ball.
linkjokerDec 27, 2017 8:59 PM
Dec 27, 2017 9:01 PM

Nov 2007
My personal recommendation would be either A) Gintama or B) One Piece.

That way, you'll either

A) tell your grandchildren that you had experienced one of the best things ever when you were their age many a year later (Gintama) or

B) watch together with your grandchildren on a couch because it would still be running at that time (One Piece).

Maybe we should have done something like "Let's become the King of the Samurai!"

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 27, 2017 9:21 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'd try either something long and completed or Gintama which is mostly episodic and comedic action which will keep the pace moving fast.
Dec 27, 2017 10:02 PM

Jan 2017
Watch at your own pace. I'd say watch Gintama or HxH (2011). Watching Gintama was quite challenging at first (300+ eps) but I still manage to finish it in 2 months. What I did is stop at certain points, watch one cour animes then get back to it. Watching the same anime for two whole months is quite tiring even though it is interesting.
Dec 27, 2017 10:17 PM

Jul 2010
Lalakoboldslayer said:
Well, I like to watch long running animes too and the advice I can give you is to divide a series in arcs, and watch one arc at a time.

When people look at One Piece, they see a series with 800+ episodes.
When I look at One Piece I see 48 different animes that share the same cast.

It's really difficult to watch long-running anime...
Dec 27, 2017 10:30 PM

Sep 2016
Abe091 said:

- Start reading the Synopsis for shows you consider long running.

- Find one that seems really interesting to you.

- Give it a chance for at least 12 episodes (your usual series length) to get past character introductions and into the meat of the story, unless it really bores you.

- If you like it keep going, otherwise try another one.

As others have said, watch at your own pace. Be reasonable with how long it may take to complete.
Not everyone can, or would want to, marathon something like Bleach in less than a month like I did. Honestly, I did little else other than eat, sleep, go to work, and watch Bleach for that month.
If I were to try that pace again with something like One Piece, I'd burn myself out on anime.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Dec 27, 2017 10:53 PM

Oct 2017
I will recommend Hajime no Ippo great series even if you aren't interested in boxing. The characters are funny and enduring plus a great art style and animation which I think will help you get through all the episodes plus it isn't too long compared to other long runners (only 126 total episodes though the manga hasn't been fully adapted).

I will also recommend One Piece but it is a little intimidating especially if its your first long running series though some of my most memorable anime watching moments did stem from it and defiantly helped keep me interested in anime when I was still breaking in.

But as for things to know:

Give longer series time than for your average anime One Piece I would argue takes at least until the Arlong arc to be at a point if you know its for you and that is at least past episode 43 though OP was pretty extreme in this case at least give until the 15-20 episode mark which is where I found other series like Bleach, Naruto and Dragonball (original) to hit their stride. Though this isn't always the case Hajime no Ippo gets going by the 3-4th episode and you can also tell by that point if you are going to like it as the rest of the series has a similar feel.

Break it up into arch's and after one arch maybe take a break from it for a little bit.

Most longer runners have fillers I would skip them they can be occasionally good but they can also slow down the experience.

As for time I would say one month per 150 episodes and that is on the pretense you are watching anime every day and only that anime which I don't recommend as it can make the experience at little stale (as when I watch anime I tend to watch 5-6 episodes on a day I feel like watching). There was a time I used to be fine with just watching One Piece and only One Piece but these days I like a little variety.

Watching long runners can be very intimidating and nowadays for myself extremely hard to do as it is a massive commitment and there are some series that look awesome and I would have started already if not for the fact I was concerned if I could keep watching through all the episodes (Space Brothers and HxH plan to get around to both soon). So ultimately I think the most important thing is finding a genre or story that really interests you more than anything because it is a big commitment.
BilboBaggins365Dec 27, 2017 11:16 PM
Dec 27, 2017 10:57 PM

Feb 2010
Don't try to complete them in a certain timeframe, just watch them at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. It took me two years to complete Urusei Yatsura because I regularly took long breaks of it but personally I like long-runners partly because you can always come back to them if you're not in the mood for anything else in particular. You really should treat them as long-term companions more than something you watch as quickly as possible because that way there is no time pressure and it won't start feeling like a chore. Of course if you do get really into it there's nothing wrong with marathoning it. In my case I often have phases where I watch a lot of episodes in a short time before I take a break again because something else (maybe new seasonals that finished airing or whatever) catches my interest.

But in the end you'll just have to find the method that works best for you. Some people like giving themselves a schedule of X episodes per day or week or to always entirely focus their attention on just one anime until they finish all of it, even if it's a long-runner. I just found that for me most cases have ended up like I described above over the years.
AlcoholicideDec 28, 2017 7:41 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 27, 2017 11:08 PM

Jun 2013
You don't watch long running anime with a mindset that you want to finish it fast and see the ending. That's not the goal. You will get burnt out otherwise. Watch at your own pace and enjoy the show. Drop or put it on hold if you've had enough. You could also treat them as regular seasonal anime, watch 12 or 24 episodes or take a break each arc/subplot. As for what to watch, pick ones that you think you will like. It's a big commitment but very rewarding once you get invested. Top off my head; Jojo, Natsume, HxH, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Haikyuu! should be a good starter.
Dec 27, 2017 11:12 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say finish an arc, either through binging or at your own pace, then wait a bit.
Dec 28, 2017 1:30 AM

Apr 2017
Don't force yourself or you'll lose the joy of the show.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 28, 2017 3:47 AM

Sep 2017
Be prepared. It would be a big ride. Some episode are filers more like 30 episodes. I suggest search for these fillers. Minimum episodes to be watch in a day is 25.

Good Luck. Hope this helps.
Dec 28, 2017 4:03 AM

Dec 2016
Gamboge said:
Whatever you do, don't try to rush through it. You'll end up burning out pretty quickly.

Pretty much this, whichever long-runner you choose it's strongly recommended to not try to end it ASAP.

They are called long-runners for a reason; they are supposed to be seen/completed in a relatively long period of time, not in a week or even a month, they are supposed to somehow "mark" a period of your life, and by "period" I mean at least 3 months, which is what would take you to complete a ~100-120 episode show if you watch at a pace of ~10 eps a week.

This is....do not watch more than 2 eps a day from monday to friday, and take a break during weekends, this is to me the best way to have the experience, you are going to enjoy them more and make the most of them if you choose this way.
Dec 28, 2017 5:02 AM
Dec 2013
Abe091 said:

Either Dragon Ball or Yu Yu Hakusho. They're both complete adaptations too (if you ignore GT and Super since they're not adaptations). I wouldn't say HxH (2011) is a good one to start with because the Chimera Ant arc had turned off a lot of people after enjoying the arcs before it (with stuff like time being slowed down and heavy narration making it unwatchable), and people also end up dropping the show at this arc, despite also being an arc that is widely praised.

Watch it at your own pace.

Well, long-running anime tend to have filler episodes in them that you might want to consider skipping since the quality of those episodes are usually not up-to-par with the canon episodes, and because they're fillers, they have nothing to do with the main plot of the show. Of course, it's up to you whether you want to skip filler episodes or not.
wildhoodDec 28, 2017 6:25 AM
Dec 28, 2017 5:09 AM
Dec 2017
you can try watch inuyasha naruto and onepiece i think it so great
everyone watch any movies, tv show and anime with multiple subtitles at http://moviesonline.ac/anime-series.html
Dec 28, 2017 5:15 AM

Aug 2017
Give Gintama a chance, Every episode is decently entertaining and doesn't fall apart after 2-3 episodes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 1 hour ago

9 by Prupel1 »»
3 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 1 hour ago

3 by rey_n »»
5 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

27 by ColourWheel »»
52 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

42 by AE-2 »»
57 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 2 hours ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.