Forum Settings
Forums

Why is Shaft the best animation studio out there?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 22, 2017 5:17 AM

Feb 2013
shaft revolutionzied anime thanks to le bakemonogatari and meduka magica
the gainax of 2010s
the one true studio!
Sep 22, 2017 5:18 AM

Aug 2014
S-quare22 said:
Xaelath said:

It felt like longer due text filler or 1 second text flash almost every single episode.
Though it differs on each people sometimes they just add weird image into the screen.

Another stuff i noted that is how ridicolous the plot mangement are.
Then i realise Nisekoi had the same issues... it never follow the original source timeline making it more confusing to watch.

And you'll find some kids saying that shaft is the best animation studio because they were blinded by the vivid colors .. if ppl have some intelligence , they will notice that the animation is mediocore and not really amazing as they say , they know how to conserve money by stopping the screen on a good colored picture and fool ppl by that .. I can definitely say the same for nisekoi and mekaku city actors

Now that you mentioned it before.
Shaft really doesnt have anything other than Monogatari,Madokai and Nisekoi.
They do have some known tittle and good score although its just that.
Sep 22, 2017 5:35 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
meainwhile in sunrise

shaft is popular because asano inio or madoka... other than that... not soo much...

dude, its nisio isin not asano inio, asano inio wrote oyasumi punpun =/
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 22, 2017 5:38 AM

Apr 2017
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Kuma said:
meainwhile in sunrise

shaft is popular because asano inio or madoka... other than that... not soo much...

This is definitely a wordplay my friend
I think he was making fun of nisio isin

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 22, 2017 5:39 AM

Aug 2014
maybe not the best but it's certainly up there and their style is one of the best
Sep 22, 2017 5:44 AM

Aug 2016
You better look at Zeregoto OVA OP and see if they're adapting it that well(spoiler: not really).

Still think Sunrise is cashing in in all that mecha and rabu raibu.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Sep 22, 2017 5:44 AM

Apr 2013
Shaft is in my top 5 animation studios, but that's about it. Best animation studio to me is still J.C.Staff, just because I liked their anime the best overall. If we talk about animation quality only I would give it to Kyoto Animation.
Sep 22, 2017 5:49 AM

Apr 2015
Best? Come on, I love SHAFT to death but best?

Most visually memorable? Absolutely! Best at manipulating the Japanese market, undoubtedly. Best? I'm not sure about that.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 22, 2017 5:50 AM

Apr 2016
S-quare22 said:
you should read more replies on MAL

MAL taught me that sometimes is better not to read just endure.
Sep 22, 2017 5:50 AM

Mar 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Kuma said:
meainwhile in sunrise

@S-quare22
well, looks like i does really too tired today.. enough internet for today i guess...

but still, why asano inio still didn't get proper adaptation of his works even they are *despite popular belive" pretty popular....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 22, 2017 5:53 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

@S-quare22
well, looks like i does really too tired today.. enough internet for today i guess...

but still, why asano inio still didn't get proper adaptation of his works even they are *despite popular belive" pretty popular....

because i dont want his god manga to be ruined by shitty edgelords

but dw, #soon probably

but reason is cause with how studio adapt stuff, it'll be too short for 12 eps, or in punpun case too long for 24 eps
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 22, 2017 5:57 AM

May 2014
I wouldn't call it the best, just one of the most stylized- and more stylized means anime that are created by Shaft are more noticeable.
Shaft is a studio that usually knows when and where to cut corners, and tries to come up with creative ways in which to do so. That can pretty much be seen with the sort of stuff they choose to adapt- dialogue heavy, introspective stuff with a lot of internal monologue- Monogatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge, March Comes in Like a Lion etc. etc.

Even their shows that incorporate a little more action rely heavily on on-screen flashes of text/still frames and these weird cardboard cutout abstract looking things that they can somehow get away with by calling it "art" (think Madoka Magica, I guess).

They're intriguing but I wouldn't say they're the best studio. More like a hit or miss.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2017 5:59 AM

Aug 2010
I'll remind you how Japan and even shitty MAL voted Kyoani as their favourite animation studio, miles ahead of shaft. Reddit will say it's ufotable, but they are brain-damaged anyways.
Sep 22, 2017 6:04 AM

Nov 2016
Shaft may have made my favourite anime but it's the only show from them that I consider great. I don't see the appeal of the Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari in particular as that's the only one I have seen so far). In terms of a larger library that I really enjoyed, KyoAni takes my favourite spot.
Sep 22, 2017 6:09 AM

Feb 2016
I actually do love Shaft. Not all of their Animes but I adore their style. I just love how Monogatari-Series and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica are animated. It looks amazing in my eyes. Shaft is good at making good Animes but these Animes are not perfect in my eyes.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Sep 22, 2017 6:11 AM
Aug 2016
And now wait for a thread named: Why is studio X way better animation studio than studio Y.
Sep 22, 2017 6:15 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Even though SHAFT is my favorite studio ever I wouldn't say that they're the best in the business. I personally believe Madhouse and Bones are the best since they have the most amount of quality shows imo.
Sep 22, 2017 6:18 AM

Feb 2016
S-quare22 said:

.. you'll understand if you watch death note or FMA:B ..

Using Death Note to represent Madhouse's quality is kinda...
Sep 22, 2017 6:20 AM

Nov 2016
iscum said:
S-quare22 said:

meh (finished your sentence for you)
Sep 22, 2017 6:31 AM
May 2017
I don't know. But yeah...

Sep 22, 2017 6:35 AM

Apr 2017
iscum said:
S-quare22 said:

Ah please not this again , we are talking about the animation not the art style .. the animation is really good and well done though it's very old .. we can use this show to represent the animation of madhouse cuz it's very hard to provide such a good animation in a year like 2006 .. I gave this example cuz -@rorryborrows didn't watch too much animes from madhouse so I've used death note as an example since it's very popular .. also I gave him another popular example like NGNL which is a good show

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 6:42 AM

Nov 2016
S-quare22 said:
iscum said:

Ah please not this again , we are talking about the animation not the art style .. the animation is really good and well done though it's very old .. we can use this show to represent the animation of madhouse cuz it's very hard to provide such a good animation in a year like 2006 .. I gave this example cuz -@rorryborrows didn't watch too much animes from madhouse so I've used death note as an example since it's very popular .. also I gave him another popular example like NGNL which is a good show

Shaft shows tend to have better animation than Death Note. NGNL is up there though, that's a very good recommendation.
Sep 22, 2017 6:49 AM

Nov 2014
Urrr
Can you at lest try to read/understand my comment before writing your reply? That would save everyone some time.

S-quare22 said:

Its not like we bring up madhouse in every discussion

I never said you did.

also what do you mean by "the outsourcing studio" .. you are making no sense , i mean this studio adapted its shows from different sources

When OPM was airing people were making fun of madhouse by calling it the "outsourcing studio" because a lot of key animations were not made by in house animators but by contract workers or animators from other studios (mostly bones).
If you don't know what outsourcing mean you could look it up beforehand.

I know why you didn't stand the "saving money" arguement .. its a bit hard to understand so pls focus with me .. I know you noticed that shaft used to stop the screen on a good colored image and let the characters talk behid the scene to save and preserve money cuz They would lose too much money if they didn't do that .. you'll understand me more if you watch mekaku city actors .. I remember that the screen was stopping on a good image every 2 minutes which was a bit exagerrated .. shaft animation isn't that good tbh .. they use the optical illusion to make ppl beleive that the animation is good though it's the opposite

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic or if you genuinely think you're a genius for noticing the obvious so I won't make a long reply.
Modern Shaft (everything after Bake) has made some pretty consistently well animated shows and it's not only the big IPs like monogatari or Madoka Magika, they also had some very fluid animation in new anime like Natsu no Arashi, Sasami-san, Sangatsu no Lion, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and Katte ni Kaizou, so maybe Mekaku City Actors had bad animation, that's still just one niche show based on some vocaloid shenanigans that feels more like the exception than the rule. I can also look at Madhouse and point at some dogshit animation like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or Prince of Stride, that won't mean Madhouse is bad.

Sep 22, 2017 6:50 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I honestly don't know if the thread topic is more annoying or if the collective "reeeeeeee Madhouse is the best studio how dare you say otherwise" responses are more annoying

Sep 22, 2017 7:19 AM

Apr 2017
I think you meant GOATnax here mate..

Cuz of...

>Human Nature Boiii

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 22, 2017 7:22 AM

Apr 2017
Pixel_Vapour said:
S-quare22 said:

Shaft shows tend to have better animation than Death Note. NGNL is up there though, that's a very good recommendation.

To find your response , you should read all the previous replies in the previous page

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 7:24 AM

Apr 2017
what a weird way to spell bones/kyoani

still life: pink roses
Sep 22, 2017 7:45 AM

Apr 2017
@touniouk
I think you're the only one who should read his own replies

You said in your previous reply
For that reason I can't understand why people always bring up madhouse

You never said I did but you said we did .. you are conflicting yourself
When OPM was airing people were making fun of madhouse by calling it the "outsourcing studio" because a lot of key animations were not made by in house animators but by contract workers or animators from other studios (mostly bones).

Oh really ? I didn't even find a good and a convincing answer on the internet so I decided to ask you .. thanks anyway

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic or if you genuinely think you're a genius for noticing the obvious so I won't make a long reply.
Modern Shaft (everything after Bake) has made some pretty consistently well animated shows and it's not only the big IPs like monogatari or Madoka Magika, they also had some very fluid animation in new anime like Natsu no Arashi, Sasami-san, Sangatsu no Lion, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and Katte ni Kaizou, so maybe Mekaku City Actors had bad animation, that's still just one niche show based on some vocaloid shenanigans that feels more like the exception than the rule. I can also look at Madhouse and point at some dogshit animation like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or Prince of Stride, that won't mean Madhouse is bad.

I don't know how did you get that impression from me ..
Wow now you are giving old mediocore animated shows as examples like natsu no arashi , try harder my friend .. it seems like you don't know the diffrence between a good animation and a mediocore animation ..
All the anime you've mentioned are mediocored so it seems like you haven't even understood what I was talking about and also you're calling mahouka's animation dog shit ?? You confirmed that you don't know what you're talking about .. we are discussing the animation not the greatness of the studios .. continuing with you will be a waste of time .. try to undrstand my previous post before replying .. i do not want to be rude so i won't reply to you

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
S-quare22 said:
@touniouk

Oh really ? I didn't even find a good and a convincing answer on the internet so I decided to ask you .. thanks anyway

Wow now you are giving old mediocore animated shows as examples like natsu no arashi , try harder my friend .. it seems like you don't know the diffrence between a good animation and a mediocore animation ..
All the anime you've mentioned are mediocored so it seems like you haven't even understood what I was talking about and also you're calling mahouka's animation dog shit ?? You confirmed that you don't know what you're talking about .. we are discussing the animation not the greatness of the studios .. continuing with you will be a waste of time .. try to undrstand my previous post before replying .. i do not want to be rude so i won't reply to you

you really have no idea what good animation means, mb you are thinking about the art but mahouka didnt have outstanding animation like you think, I dare say it was mediocre at best
Sep 22, 2017 7:56 AM

Apr 2017
Manaban said:
I honestly don't know if the thread topic is more annoying or if the collective "reeeeeeee Madhouse is the best studio how dare you say otherwise" responses are more annoying

We never said madhouse is the best studio , just look at the title , he said "why is shaft he best animation studio" so ofc we will reply by using the names of some studios cuz his opinion isn't a fact so we won't explain why . The thread itself was provocative

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 7:58 AM

Nov 2016
S-quare22 said:
shaft only has the monogatari series (the eternal ongoing series) and mahou shoujo madoka which are not that amazing or that popular tho ..

You can find that Madoka Magica is not that amazing, that's your right, but it does concern popularity or whatever poor rating or enjoyment from tastless people.

Though I agree that they economise money.

And Monogatari is not that great.
Sep 22, 2017 8:06 AM

Apr 2017
ThEoNePugNA said:
S-quare22 said:
@touniouk

you really have no idea what good animation means, mb you are thinking about the art but mahouka didnt have outstanding animation like you think, I dare say it was mediocre at best

But the animation of the fights is pretty good , when we talk about the mediocore animation then we mean animes like natsu no arashi , maria holic ,and angel beats .. i know the diffrence between the art style and the animation .. you can call any animation good if it's not forced by the studio exactly like in hentai or some animes like skelter heaven and zechou rocket

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 8:30 AM

Oct 2014
Yuurichi thanks for that post. I did not know Shaft produced so much stuff that I hate. I already didnt like this studio for many reasons but now I have a few more, yay.
Sep 22, 2017 8:36 AM
Aug 2016
Best studio for me is diffidently Madhouse

Touniouk said:

so the canipa effect brainwashed people are calling Madhouse the "outsourcing studio" because one show they outsource out of a bunch? Lmao
but wait..
the moment you realize that every anime ever made is outsourced.
the moment you realize that Yutaka Nakamura is literally the only animator madhouse outsourced from Bones to work on OPM.
the moment you realize that Bones often do the same with Norio Matsomoto From studio Pierrot.
the moment you realize that there are more Madhouse in-house staff that worked on OPM than Bones in-house staff that worked on Mob Psycho 100 and BnHA.
Sep 22, 2017 9:00 AM

Apr 2015
Because Monogatari selling being high and Madoka being a quality anime.
Sep 22, 2017 9:49 AM

Mar 2016
Because of their special ability to make anime with a long and fast dialogue
Sep 22, 2017 9:50 AM

Nov 2014
ClickBaitBuster said:

Touniouk said:

so the canipa effect brainwashed people are calling Madhouse the "outsourcing studio" because one show they outsource out of a bunch? Lmao
but wait..
the moment you realize that Yutaka Nakamura is literally the only animator madhouse outsourced from Bones to work on OPM.
the moment you realize that Bones often do the same with Norio Matsomoto From studio Pierrot.
the moment you realize that there are more Madhouse in-house staff that worked on OPM than Bones in-house staff that worked on Mob Psycho 100 and BnHA.

Eh, that's good to know. I probably shouldn't bring up random memes in discussions if I don't really know much about the subject.
Good thing that was just some throwaway sentence I dropped that didn't have any relevance in what I was saying otherwise people might give me shit for it.
Thanks for telling me tho.
Sep 22, 2017 9:56 AM

Sep 2009
Why?
https://myanimelist.net/profile/--ALEX--

MortalMelancholySep 24, 2017 3:46 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 22, 2017 10:01 AM
Mar 2017
I don't know about the rest of SHAFT's anime because I don't think I've watched any of their other titles outside of the Monogatari series.
But one thing I know, is that Bakemonogatari has some of the most impressive animation I've seen thus far.
Sep 22, 2017 10:11 AM

Feb 2015
Sep 22, 2017 10:12 AM

Nov 2014
S-quare22 said:
@touniouk

Oh shit you're right, I did, my bad. I was making a reply to the thread so I was referencing the thread, dunno why I wrote always.

I mean... if you're going to use hyperboles and snark to make your point you can't really blame people for thinking you're being sarcastic.

Well if you can seriously look at the constant stoic dialogue of Mahouka and the expressive character movements in natsu no Arashi's dialogue or sasami-san's absolute constant movement and tell me you think Mahouka is better animated, I won't stop you, but telling me I don't know what I'm talking about is pretty stupid.

I'm glad you don't want to be rude, you should have thought about this before writing your previous 2 replies.
Sep 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
because I want all of the monogatari girls to sit on my face

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Sep 22, 2017 10:57 AM

Apr 2017
ClickBaitBuster said:

Touniouk said:

but wait..

I love you for that , thank you so much

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 11:05 AM

Jul 2017
I really dont think Shaft is the ''best'' anime studios out there. Yeah sure they made the animation of some animes great like Madoka Magica, Monogatari Series and Mekakucity Actors but there are still lots of good studios out there that can compete with Shaft. No.. All of them can compete to each other
Sep 22, 2017 1:08 PM

Jan 2014
Lol it's not the best. At least for me, it's not the best one. Most people on MAL would tell you the best studio is either Madhouse, KyoAni, or something..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 22, 2017 1:20 PM

Jan 2014
Because it ain't.

BONES masterrace bitches.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Sep 22, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2016
Shaft is just smart. Probably the smartest studio out there. They know how to deliver memorable visuals and have very specific stylistic tics. From the abstract backgrounds to their studio signature, the head tilts.
Their animation quality, stand alone, is far from the top. Take for example each episode of Bakemonogatari (cause it's well-known). Most of the scenes are static, except for a few important scenes which are high quality. They use close frames, and focus on a specific body part for a while, which grabs attention and interest. (It makes me feel in a way closer to the characters).
They never fail because they chose carefully which series to animate.
It's not the animation quality that made them a reputation, but the unique style.
Sep 22, 2017 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
They have an unconventional & unique visual style, but I still don't like them as much as I like kyoani.
Sep 22, 2017 2:29 PM

May 2015
They are one of the best, but I still think KyoAni is the best anime studio.

Sep 22, 2017 2:40 PM

Apr 2017

Kyoto animation and Ufotable, are the best in my opinion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

31 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 27

41 by ST63LTH »»
6 minutes ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

14 by Rhae »»
7 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

47 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - 11 hours ago

33 by mshfqtny »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.