Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most forgotten popular show of the past ten years, and why?

New
May 3, 2017 5:57 PM

Nov 2011
Of all of the series in the past ten years that were super popular in the community when they aired, which do you think has since disappeared the most from the collective community consciousness, and why do you think it has?

It doesn't matter whether you thought the series was good or bad.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 3, 2017 6:01 PM

Jul 2016
Maybe Suzumiya Haruhi? No clue, but I want a season 3.
May 3, 2017 6:17 PM

Jan 2009
i think Dennou Coil is high on the list
May 3, 2017 6:21 PM

Feb 2016
j0x said:

Its got 26k here and I assume OP wasnt asking about some other communities.

OT: Anohana? Another? Deadman Wonderland? idk, maybe im spending too much time participating but I saw liek everything talked about, the ones I mentioned probably less often than the rest of the top50.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

May 3, 2017 6:23 PM

Oct 2015
most likely haruhi. the hype is gone and there is only a cult following nowadays. though it will always be one of the best in my heart (specifically that damn beautiful movie)
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 3, 2017 6:25 PM

Apr 2014
Maybe Parasyte and Overlord? It's quite popular with it's Madhouse hype and people barely talk about it anymore these days.
May 3, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
Sjo said:
most likely haruhi. the hype is gone and there is only a cult following nowadays. though it will always be one of the best in my heart (specifically that damn beautiful movie)

Hmm. Haruhi definitely isn't talked about much now, but I'm not sure if it's left the collective consciousness. Are newer fans to the medium unaware of its existence these days?
May 3, 2017 6:40 PM

Oct 2015
TripleSRank said:
Sjo said:

Hmm. Haruhi definitely isn't talked about much now, but I'm not sure if it's left the collective consciousness. Are newer fans to the medium unaware of its existence these days?

i rarely see people mention it or talk about it. it's usually the older fans who still discuss it
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 3, 2017 6:50 PM

Aug 2016
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 3, 2017 7:02 PM

Jun 2010
I dont know!! Toaru Majutsu no Index (?)
May 3, 2017 7:05 PM

Oct 2015
Turtles_Hunter said:
Sjo said:

i rarely see people mention it or talk about it. it's usually the older fans who still discuss it

Well, I think the season 2 destroyed the aura around this show. It was some kind of exceptionnally good ovni, and then we got season 2, which was mostly average or endless 8. It banked too much on it, when it would have beneficiate to stay a one shot, to not let the people realise that despite the originality of the concept, it was doomed to stay a pretty generic school slice of life, like there is 12 of them a season. It's good, but in the end only six episode on the 25 exploit the concept right. For the rest, it's goes from amusing to very average.
The movie, on the other end, is great, but the wtf factor that made Haruhi so popular disappeared for a more serious tone. It seems that's it's gonna mainly be remembered as the show that launched goofy high school slice of life shows. Before Haruhi, there wasn't so many of them.

Anyway, I think Zetsuen no Tempest pretty much "disappeared".

the movie makes it all worth the watch. plus, the novels do play around with mood and atmosphere, it's not always goofy and such. haruhi isn't really about being sol or about high school. it's much more than that. that's just part of its magic. but i understand why so many people abandoned it. kyoani did pull a massive prank on people. and also had that weird planning schedule when they released season two (probably because they were anticipating what was going to happen and also building hype for the movie) though, to be fair, it was justified as they were focusing on the movie at the time.
that said, the disappearance is a masterpiece. without a doubt
May 3, 2017 7:27 PM

Oct 2015
Turtles_Hunter said:
@Sjo I totally agree on the movie. But yeah, season 2 pretty much killed the hype. In my mind the only episode I feel worth it is the one where kyon goes back at "the beginning of time". Except that, it was so forgettable. at least season 1 stand alone were great. Baseball match episode and Island ones were just great. But the hype of season 1 was not due to the context but to the fact it was an ovni. The order of diffusion of season one to finish with the sixth expisode told you that. The story held in 6 episode, and the rest were filler. But season 1 filler were good. Season 2 weren't. In the end. I feel like the show is still critically acclaimed as a whole, but the love for the show is gone.

there's no filler. it's all straight from the books. the only difference is the order they chose to show things. it's just because the novels are written in such a way that directly adapted without order changes might have given it a more anticlimactic ending.
May 3, 2017 7:27 PM

Jul 2010
K-ON! maybe? I remember when it was the big slice of life moe show for a few years, and then it ended and people moved on to idol anime like Love Live!

Haruhi might be up there, too, though I keep forgetting the anime is a decade old, now. Lucky Star could be another one. Really, quite a few early KyoAni shows fall into this.
May 3, 2017 10:54 PM

Oct 2015
Probably Blue Exorcist, It was apparently popular when it came out but I don't hear much about it anymore.
May 3, 2017 11:00 PM

Mar 2014
MattKitsune96 said:
Probably Blue Exorcist, It was apparently popular when it came out but I don't hear much about it anymore.

They just had a season 2 this winter.

OT: I don't really see people talk about Higurashi much, but it probably still is.
AnimeAdamOPMay 3, 2017 11:03 PM
May 3, 2017 11:22 PM

Aug 2014
Drackx said:

Season 3 was mentioned by the Author himeself a month ago
http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/03/13/a-certain-magical-index-creator-gives-update-on-season-3/
Also recently theres a new android game released and spin-off for the novel and manga
We got Accelrator manga and Drill-chan.

Although the anime seems forgotten the Manga keep updating each year that also includes the upcoming NT18
May 3, 2017 11:24 PM
Jul 2012
Wtf are those answers

Definite one is Guilty Crown
May 3, 2017 11:42 PM

Feb 2015
Hmm, I haven't heard anyone talking about Shakugan no Shana that much anymore. I was also thinking Lucky Star and probably Soul Eater...
May 3, 2017 11:44 PM

Mar 2016
suzumiya haruhi
was everywhere and is now nowhere
season 3 fooking wen
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
May 4, 2017 1:31 AM

Feb 2013
From MAL's top popularity, i'd also say Ao no Exorcist. Even with the sequel, i swear i never saw it mentioned outside of Winter 17 threads.. or even if i did, it was certainly way less than one would expect for the 18th most popular show.
May 4, 2017 1:53 AM

Jul 2013
Bleach pretty much lost a lot of it's popularity and fanbase when its anime ended and the manga started to turn worse and worse. It wasn't sudden, but the years started passing and suddenly, people didn't talked that much about Bleach like in the old times. Then, the manga was apparently forgotten until it's ending.

It's actually sad to see how one of the most famous series ever created ended up like that...

Xaelath said:
Drackx said:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/03/13/a-certain-magical-index-creator-gives-update-on-season-3/
WOW, cannot wait for those 20 years I will have to wait for Index III!
May 4, 2017 3:27 AM

Mar 2015
when you guys arguing that causing suzumiya haruhi franchise declining popularity is the anime fault or the absence of sequel... i think the core problem is that the original novel is on suicide watch because author just doesn't continue it and left it hanging... lOl

some series is deemed to be like that since it's just end... like shigatsu for example...

from my most recent memories... maybe bleach? i don't even heard anything about it fanbase anymore... not even the demand for new anime or manga sequel... it's just die... it's kinda sad actually...

oh, ao no excorcist is devinitely... it's not talked anymore, second seasons is bombed hard, the manga sales is declining as well... (it's not even breaking 400K last time i remember it, i remember it peaked around 700K/vol on yearly sales)...

Ippo is also hardly talked anymore, except when sport series mentioned... the manga stay as dedicated as ever tho...

anything by key/maeda jun... they does sill maintance their dedicated fanbase, but it does declining too fast...

oh another thing's that come to mind is sakurasou and boku wa tomodachi...

wait, isn't bakuman author new manga axed or something? lolz... or maybe i remember wrong famous mangaka that fail his second debut in wsj... LMAO...

lot of wsj series probably same (ansatsu kyoshitsu, hitman reborn, eyeshield, ETC), they rarely has hardcore fanbase to begin with, but nevertheles they still watched by lot people since, well, it's WSJ... but now it's just dissapear...

mirai nikki (hack, do you guys still remember gasai yuno crazy on internet? it was like WTF, but now it's also dies)...

and don't talk about HOTD... lulz...

soul eateralso hit back then... maybe fire force adaptation can make okubo fanbase can alive again, i hope...
KumaMay 4, 2017 3:45 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 4, 2017 3:33 AM

Jun 2015
Darker than Black. It's one of those good series that plenty have watched but watched too late for them to talk about it.

Though when I remember when I was watching it, it was good enough to be in the newspaper(hard enough to find anime in the news in the first place)
May 4, 2017 4:00 AM

Jul 2016
More people should see Dog Days. It broke 100,000 members.
May 4, 2017 4:13 AM

Apr 2014
Erased

After that finished airing it's as if the memories of it were...erased from people's minds Men in Black style.

Also K was quite popular for a while then everyone forgot about it.
DemonarionMay 4, 2017 4:20 AM

May 4, 2017 4:18 AM

Oct 2016
easily HARUHI, got my hopes on on season 3 when i finished the movie, guess i was wrong.
May 4, 2017 4:20 AM

Oct 2011
My pick would be Accel World, I think it faded away because it got overshadowed by SAO (they are made by the same author)
May 4, 2017 4:25 AM

Apr 2016
Vampire Knight. I mean, who remembers it? It's not even watched much anymore in comparison parison to say, Haruhi, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte, or Gurren Lagann, which still don't come near the top of the decades stull most watched anime like Code Geass, Sword Art Online, or Death Note.

No one talks about VK anymore and given what is said about it, I think I dodged a bullet by not watching it yet.
May 4, 2017 4:26 AM

Nov 2013
like everyone is saying, suzumiya, she most likely will forever be in my top 10 characters, but i already forgot like 90% the story lmao
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
May 4, 2017 4:30 AM

Nov 2011
IpreferEcchi said:
More people should see Dog Days. It broke 100,000 members.

I'm guessing the Dog Days crowd is the same as the Zero no Tsukaima crowd, since you virtually never hear about the latter either.

Neither are shows I'm interested in enough to give a shot anytime soon, though.
May 4, 2017 4:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Deadman Wonderland?
Kuroshitsuji?
Ouran?
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun?
Btooom?
May 4, 2017 4:33 AM

Jan 2016
If i look at the anime sorted by popularity the ones that i don't see mentioned too much anymore are:

- Anohana - only when there is a thread about overrated shows
- Btoom!
- Chuunibyou
- Maybe Deadman Wonderland
May 4, 2017 4:41 AM

Sep 2009
Code Geass. Well, at least before the 10 yr anniversary. People are starting to remember again.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 4, 2017 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
Elfen Lied. As to why? I have no idea. I would'a been 7 years old when it aired.
May 4, 2017 4:44 AM

Nov 2015
School Days? Clannad? Death Note? I'm not sure...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2017 4:45 AM

Apr 2016
From the past ten years, I would say
Sakurasou no Petto na Kanojo
Haruhi Suzumiya
Ergo Proxy
Mekakucity Actors
Detroit Metal City (??)
Girls und Panzer (movie series coming soon)
Hanasaku Iroha
Carnival Phantasm
Shinsekai Yori
Spice and Wolf(season 3? Doko desuka?)
A Certain Scientific Railgun (where's season 3?)
Angel Beats
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Gakkou Gurashi (no season 2 yet ー_ー)
Lucky Star (there isn't a need for season 2 but, we need it for a new generation of Otaku)
Monster Musume (need more Miia, Papi and Arachnera)
My Little Monster
Noragami Aragoto (cliffhanger ending)
Psycho Pass
Soul Eater

I think these anime have not been discussed much. And almost all of them don't have another season.

I think it's because the hype just died down. Or we didn't get another season. Or the story concluded and there's nothing more to adapt.

People waited 4 years for SnK season 2. Once it released, it got almost the same amount of hype as season one. But the other anime mentioned above probably won't get another season. That's why people just lost all hope and stopped discussing them.
Manyaa_-May 4, 2017 5:02 AM
May 4, 2017 4:57 AM

Jul 2013
Omkar_Nagwade said:
A Certain Scientific Railgun (where's season 3?)
Don't worry, Railgun's season 3 is along with Index's season 3...
May 4, 2017 5:11 AM
Sep 2016
Kotetsujo No Kabaneri

Whoops, that was probably too shit an anime to be popular to begin with.
May 4, 2017 5:14 AM

Mar 2015
BlueKite said:
My pick would be Accel World, I think it faded away because it got overshadowed by SAO (they are made by the same author)

well.. TBF, SAO was coming first... at least the novel...

CodeBlazeFate said:
Vampire Knight. I mean, who remembers it? It's not even watched much anymore in comparison parison to say, Haruhi, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte, or Gurren Lagann, which still don't come near the top of the decades stull most watched anime like Code Geass, Sword Art Online, or Death Note.

No one talks about VK anymore and given what is said about it, I think I dodged a bullet by not watching it yet.

well, the manga turn the way nobody expect and getting worse... soo...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 4, 2017 5:16 AM

Oct 2016
Probably Overlord... but there's 2nd season so maybe it will gain back its popularity :>

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 4, 2017 5:19 AM

Feb 2013
They forgot Bleach.
While people still know about Naruto because the anime continued with all those boring fillers, they ended Bleach when those fillers were entertaining, weird decision from Pierrot.
May 4, 2017 5:21 AM

Aug 2014
Illyricus said:

Xaelath said:

Me too!
20 Years later.
We've an update for index season 3 and its all a lie.
May 4, 2017 5:23 AM

Mar 2012
I think Kokoro Connect, Mondaiji, Watamote, Akame ga Kill count. Especially Mondaiji which doesn't come up much even with isekai boom right now.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 4, 2017 5:38 AM

Jul 2013
Xaelath said:
Illyricus said:

Me too!
20 Years later.
We've an update for index season 3 and its all a lie.
At the end all resumes to:

What I want:

What I will probably get:

What I expect to happen:

What I get in truth:
May 4, 2017 5:40 AM

Feb 2015
I think we'll all agree that all those 2deep5me series that tried too hard but failed at it would be one thing.
May 4, 2017 7:27 AM

Jun 2010
Xaelath said:
Drackx said:

Also recently theres a new android game released and spin-off for the novel and manga

Although the anime seems forgotten the Manga keep updating each year that also includes the upcoming NT18

I thought the third season was just a rumor
May 4, 2017 7:45 AM

Aug 2014
Drackx said:
Xaelath said:

It was until the miracle happens.
Just like how code geass suddenly get 2nd season announced out of nowhere.

Also talk about older tittle some of personal picks.
- Baka test to Shoukanju, LN already finished yet we didn't have any infos about 3rd season.
- The world god only knows, 3rd season kinda messed up when they decide to skip some arcs and i don't even want to remember the manga ending.
- Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. I am not sure why i picked this.
- More way zombie desu Ka. It's not your typical harem MC.i've no idea what happened to LN.

I felt like most of tittle will end up on 2nd season rarely 3 or 4.
Ironically that one anime called Highschool DxD got the 4th anime adaptation almost in each year.
May 4, 2017 8:13 AM

Jun 2010
Xaelath said:
Drackx said:

It was until the miracle happens.
Just like how code geass suddenly get 2nd season announced out of nowhere.

Also talk about older tittle some of personal picks.
- Baka test to Shoukanju, LN already finished yet we didn't have any infos about 3rd season.
- The world god only knows, 3rd season kinda messed up when they decide to skip some arcs and i don't even want to remember the manga ending.
- Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. I am not sure why i picked this.
- More way zombie desu Ka. It's not your typical harem MC.i've no idea what happened to LN.

I felt like most of tittle will end up on 2nd season rarely 3 or 4.
Ironically that one anime called Highschool DxD got the 4th anime adaptation almost in each year.

True, code geass was a big surprise for me too.
Baka to test was very entertaining, although to be honest never looked forward to seeing their chapters, but without a doubt would see if a new season was released.
Kami nomi zo shiru sekai, I have not read the manga but I spoiled the end, personally I do not bother and since the Elsie (Elucia) was only seen as a pet, you could expect something like that.
Kyokai senjou no horizon did not like me.
Kore wa zombie desu ka. I had forgotten this anime, I hope to get more out of this anime, even if it's an ova.
DxD, I have not read the light novel but a friend says that there is enough material to encourage (if they do) and since it seems that their line of cards is quite popular, most likely continue to get more season.
May 4, 2017 11:14 AM

Jun 2013
j0x said:

I wasn't here when Dennou Coil was released (was MAL even a thing in 2007?!) but I doubt it's super popular back then considering it's aired at the same time with more well-known titles like Death Note, Code Geass, and TTGL. On the topic, my pick would be Angel Beats. Crazy popular. It was a default anime to recommend for anyone who looked for tearjerker show after Clannad. Now it's rarely mentioned.
May 4, 2017 11:18 AM

Feb 2010
Mayoiga already started being forgotten while it aired.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen?

AnimeLover1289 - 1 hour ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

45 by trinitroglycerin »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - 11 hours ago

18 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

7 by Rhae »»
28 minutes ago

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - Apr 28

45 by dreamingneon »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.