Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
I'm kinda getting detective vibes from from this episode.

A strange will, clues left behind, etc had Mamao investigate. As usual, she is curious but also intuitive about the findings. Interestingly, I think his episode gave a different vibe compared to the usual episodes, taking a slightly more serious tone. Mamao is such a resourceful person despite how she reacts to cases like this.
Jan 27, 9:24 AM

Dec 2021
Just another day, giving Maomao another chance to play detective.

Everyone, how about hosting a tea gathering like we used to?—a mysterious testament left behind by a court-appointed master engraver who passed away without imparting his secret techniques to his son. Maomao, asked by Jinshi to investigate, visits their home. In the workshop, an unopened chest, a glass goldfish bowl, and three mementos left for each of the three brothers. Maomao, realizing the enigmatic layout of the workshop and the mystery of the three keepsakes, opens a "tea gathering" as per the engraver's testament, alongside the brothers.

The idea of siblings teaming up to solve puzzles is a common but engaging theme in this series. It seems like the show leans towards exploring mysteries with a scientific twist. It seemed like Maomao's abilities were put to the test by that creepy guy, but I'm glad to see the siblings teaming up for the family business. Also, there's this unexpected twist with Jinshi possibly trying cross-dressing. I wonder if it's a moment for Maomao to show off her skills.

Lakan's unclear motives are interesting, but what truly excites me is seeing what he does next episode.

Jan 27, 11:08 AM

Jul 2017
Jinshi's story of a metalworker's will for his 3 sons to succeed as purveyors, even they have no idea about what to do with a shack, furniture and fishbowl, aside from their values. Of course, all this comes from Lakan, and Basen supervises Maomao once again on the job. Figuring out what's the deal with the will and leftover mementos, from big to small and having the sons be rallied in a tea party, they're clearly frustrated and need a solution quick. Sensing the rather unkempt sunlight that shines a light into the shack with the chest in place, Maomao may have found her answer: through the fishbowl.

Requesting the youngest son on his fishbowl, Maomao does a light refraction test, and immediately checks out by following the will to a T...only to find tin and lead metals, metals which are used for solder, and the cupboard which weighs the portion of the solder. In the end, it's simple chemistry to unlock the purpose of the will, despite the youngest being the most taleknted of the 3. Certainly, even Jinshi finds strategist Lakan quite the annoying and shady man who imposes his craft on others, aside from a brillant mind.

Jinshi wanting Maomao to do make up for him, what exactly does he need it for?
Jan 27, 11:09 AM
May 2021
This anime still continues to deliver. Maomao going “huh” at the end was funny at Jinshi’s request for maomao to do his makeup.
Jan 27, 11:22 AM

Mar 2021
Detective Maomao solves another case helping to decipher the dead metalworkers will.
It was funny seeing Jinshi asking Maomao to do his makeup for him at the end am so looking forward to seeing what happens next
Jan 27, 11:23 AM

Feb 2021
This is the most detective-like case so far
This was sooo good and wholesome. I like how everything was thought out and addressed, like the very low melting point of the metal in the keyhole. At first I thought it's Gallium or something. (I know that Gallium isn't found naturally and that it's way too early for it to be discovered, but still)
Damn, at first I thought that Jinshi is going to cross-dress lol. The preview spoiled it a bit.
Amazing episode. Lakan seems like a really interesting character. I want to see more of him.

Edit: But now that I think about it, how are anemia and stomachaches that Maomao mentions at 13:01 related to all of this?
EmbientJan 27, 12:01 PM
Jan 27, 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
A very detective-like episode this time around and to be fair, I did like this more than last week's episode. Still feels a little regular and safe but the case itself was just a bit more interesting to watch this time around and how Maomao went about opening the drawers using the light ray directly going towards the key hole after using the fishbowl full of water. It does require a lot of specific parts to get to this, but that is how much it seemed the father went to go about this method for protecting his technique in a way. At least it is good that the three brothers are on the same page again to work together with their different skills at hand. Lakan continues to be as ominous as ever. Episode breezed by quickly with how focused it was on the case this time around without too much messing around this time.
Jan 27, 11:59 AM
Oct 2016
Maomao being asked to look into family mysteries now. Having to go investigate the conundrum of a father's will and instructions to his three sons. There seems to be a lot of stories with three brothers where the youngest gets looked down upon. Their father leaving each a different object to inherit in the will. A shed, A dresser, and a fish bowl, three very peculiar and seemingly unrelated items that all interconnect into solving this mystery. The mother was right in that the two older brothers have grown cynical while the youngest is too weak to express himself. Maomao connection the dots as she looked around the room and really thought about the note the father left. Telling the brothers to sit down for a tea party like they used to do. Sitting the fish bowl full of water in its old spot to reflect the sun light aimed right at the bolted down dresser. Creating that refraction of light that melted down a lump of metal to a mold thus creating a key for the other locked drawers. Talk about an elaborate way to get your three sons to work together. The elder brothers completely disregarding what their father said about the tea party when that was the biggest hint of all. Maomao literally did exactly that and everything went into motion. I'm glad that the brothers ended up seeing the youngest had the most talent for metal working and let him take over this portion of the business. Each brother finding their place to help the family and work together was nice.
Jan 27, 12:00 PM

Jan 2019
Maomao could've at least warned them that lead is toxic and is what probably killed their father lmao.

Jan 27, 12:40 PM
Feb 2013
this episode went by like it was nothing! where did the time go
Jan 27, 1:02 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to Embient
This is the most detective-like case so far
This was sooo good and wholesome. I like how everything was thought out and addressed, like the very low melting point of the metal in the keyhole. At first I thought it's Gallium or something. (I know that Gallium isn't found naturally and that it's way too early for it to be discovered, but still)
Damn, at first I thought that Jinshi is going to cross-dress lol. The preview spoiled it a bit.
Amazing episode. Lakan seems like a really interesting character. I want to see more of him.

Edit: But now that I think about it, how are anemia and stomachaches that Maomao mentions at 13:01 related to all of this?
@Embient short answer?
Lead poisoning
Jan 27, 1:04 PM

May 2019
Another mystery solved by Maomao and her telling the youngest son to see her dad if he gets sick implies she at least suspects their father may have had lead poisoning.

The next episode looks to have Jinshi disguised with Maomao dolled up again, presumably to scour the area (or maybe an excuse for a secretive date). I'm looking forward to that as the independent mysteries were getting a bit repetitive.
Jan 27, 1:05 PM

Aug 2023
Another great episode. Look's like next episode is gonna be fun with jinshi asking for makeup.
Jan 27, 1:07 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode, customary of the series! What a cliffhanger!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 27, 1:46 PM

Jul 2022
WHY DOES HE WANT MAKEUP?!?!?!
Jan 27, 2:16 PM

Mar 2011
It's not like much happened this episode (story-wise). It was a nice riddle but nothing more than this. Personally the past few episodes felt more like filler episodes. I don't know how they should add to the story (but they certainly add something to Maomao's character and maybe others.).

I have a major dislike for Lakan. He just gives me the creeps. Don't think anything will change about this.

Next episode could be more interesting tho... Maomao doing Jinshi's make-up and then they will go to the town (undercover?).
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Jan 27, 2:25 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Leave it to detective Maomao to solve the mystery of the metal worker's inheritance that involved leaving behind three specific items to his three sons. The father's intention was to bring his sons together by having them run the metal working business. I suspect that the father died of lead poisoning as a result of working with various metals. At least this time they will be able to have tea together like old times.
Jan 27, 2:26 PM

Feb 2019
Weekly dose of Maomao! This time we’re solving the inheritance case that was hinted at last episode

This was probably the most wholesome case we’ve had so far! As a parent there’s nothing more you want than for your kids to succeed and be able to work together in your absence. It’s beautiful that even in death, the metalworker continues being a father to his sons. By having them come together for one last task in order to pass the technique on rather than outright giving them the recipe, he helped them grow as people.

Of course none of that is possible without Maomao since they were pretty much content to sit back and maintain the status quo, i.e thinking their dad left them nothing but useless stuff. The biggest hint, the tea party, was right in front of them the whole time lol. Using the sun to melt the metal and make a key was really cool. The metalworker was so brilliant, it’s a shame his job likely cost him his life.

I’m surprised Maomao didn’t mention anything about lead poisoning to the sons! That’s not common knowledge at this point in history, so that would be a big help..

This Lakan dude grinds my gears every time he’s on screen. He’s just so flippant with human lives and gives off this arrogance. He needs a good punch.. now he wants to play dumb about the courtesan story he was bragging about last week. Well, Jinshi’s just gonna take his advice I guess. If you want to know about the courtesans, gotta become one lmao.

That cliffhanger ending was great. Maomao’s face when Jinshi asked her to do his makeup was brilliant.

Another good episode. Been seeing people say the last few eps feel like filler, can’t disagree more. These have been really good
Marinate1016Jan 27, 2:39 PM
Jan 27, 2:33 PM

Sep 2016
Comfy episode, build up is kinda slower than the manga but I still like it.
Jan 27, 3:00 PM
Sep 2020
Reply to DreadfulLaw
WHY DOES HE WANT MAKEUP?!?!?!

@DreadfulLaw you just need to wait next week for next episode
Jan 27, 3:07 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to Marinate1016
Weekly dose of Maomao! This time we’re solving the inheritance case that was hinted at last episode

This was probably the most wholesome case we’ve had so far! As a parent there’s nothing more you want than for your kids to succeed and be able to work together in your absence. It’s beautiful that even in death, the metalworker continues being a father to his sons. By having them come together for one last task in order to pass the technique on rather than outright giving them the recipe, he helped them grow as people.

Of course none of that is possible without Maomao since they were pretty much content to sit back and maintain the status quo, i.e thinking their dad left them nothing but useless stuff. The biggest hint, the tea party, was right in front of them the whole time lol. Using the sun to melt the metal and make a key was really cool. The metalworker was so brilliant, it’s a shame his job likely cost him his life.

I’m surprised Maomao didn’t mention anything about lead poisoning to the sons! That’s not common knowledge at this point in history, so that would be a big help..

This Lakan dude grinds my gears every time he’s on screen. He’s just so flippant with human lives and gives off this arrogance. He needs a good punch.. now he wants to play dumb about the courtesan story he was bragging about last week. Well, Jinshi’s just gonna take his advice I guess. If you want to know about the courtesans, gotta become one lmao.

That cliffhanger ending was great. Maomao’s face when Jinshi asked her to do his makeup was brilliant.

Another good episode. Been seeing people say the last few eps feel like filler, can’t disagree more. These have been really good
@Marinate1016 Wouldnt say it feels like filler but it feels a bit more run-of-the-mill or average compared to others. Do think it'll eventually pick up again soon but not that surprising that some people feel like the last few episodes havent been as interesting as the stuff prior to Maomao being dismissed from the rear palace. It is a reset in a new environment so can understand why it is a bit slower but I cant argue that the last 3-4 episodes havent been as interesting besides Lakan.
Jan 27, 3:13 PM

Apr 2013
50 % bismuth, 25% lead, 25% tin ; that's Rose's alloy, one of the metal alloys known to melt bellow 100°C. It's indeed used for solders and casting like here.

The downside of it is that like most of other of the low melting point alloys, it uses lead, which is highly toxic and explains why the works are getting sick.

Sunray going through a simple magnifying lens can have the object receiving the rays reach 400°C. Seems like that gravure part was made with the intent of having it work in a similar way.
Jan 27, 3:45 PM
Mar 2015
our gril was able to solve the will by carrying out the terms of the will Each man found his place and the business was passed on The strategist realized that potential should not be wasted He is specifically pointing to our gril but may be telling our boi to quit wasting his time and to get his butt in gear
Jan 27, 4:02 PM

Nov 2023
Pretty chill case compared to the other ones.

A will that no one understands, few clues, and we got Detective Maomao solving it.

I'm glad that the brothers got to stay together, even if the two eldest ones quit as craftsmen, they can still help out the younger one.
Jan 27, 4:09 PM

Apr 2022
sunlight trick was neat, maomao is ahead of the game. lakan is difficult to read and i like that.
Jan 27, 4:18 PM

Jan 2021
Neat episode cool idea with the sun melting the metal into a key. The dad gave a very cryptic message to his sons with what they were skilled in.

Next episode looks like its a date around town, I'm all for it.
Jan 27, 4:32 PM

Oct 2022
Man, Lakan just oozes suspicious behavior. I can completely understand Jinshi being exhausted after dealing with him.

Jan 27, 5:13 PM

Sep 2017
Not very related to apothecary stuff but Mao is just kinda OP. This did feel like some kinda video game puzzle where you need to direct light to a certain object, so I feel it is feasible to discern. Idk about water in the fishbowl concentrating the light enough to melt some metal compound tho lmao. But I spose it could be something that is nearly a liquid in room temp kinda thing.
Jan 27, 6:06 PM
Jul 2016
Bruh, Jinshi looks unrecognizable in the next episode preview lmao. I thought we were getting drag queen Jinshi makeup next week lol.
Jan 27, 6:16 PM

Apr 2014
LMAO the preview. Can't wait for fat Jinshi next week

Jan 27, 6:48 PM
Aug 2020
another good episode

this was almost an easy case for her...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 27, 7:56 PM

Nov 2010
  • keywords: solder, freezing point depression, solar furnace.
    • solder: the slightly greenish mineral might be galena. Though lead-free solder is majority these days, I don't like it; hard to deal with, dull finish.
    • freezing point depression: As a layman for chemistry, my understanding is "solid is the state that molecules sit in orderly manner. If impurities exist, they hinder the order. Thus freezing point is depressed."
    • solar furnace: the trick should occur in quite limited conditions and it's unlikely.

• Wildflower3 said:
    It's not like much happened this episode (story-wise).
    yeah, it seems an episode (though I like episodic sytle very much).
Jan 27, 8:19 PM

Mar 2007
Loved the puzzle (figured it out) and the resolution to their family problems.

Jan 27, 8:34 PM

Aug 2022
Back to another case for Maomao, and she can definitely do it easily.

Oh it turns out that's it. It's just about the relationship between father and son in this episode. Well, even though it had nothing to do with Maomao, Maomao still did her job very well this time.

And once again, I'm still curious about Lakan's role. And also what he talked about with Jinshi I'm also curious about. Does this have something to do with Maomao too?
RafaBryanJan 27, 8:41 PM
Jan 27, 9:28 PM
Sep 2021
Maomao solved one more case but this time it was not related to her field but using her wits she was able to understand the problem's solution well.
Jan 27, 9:54 PM

Jul 2012
That was pretty neat. Reminds me of those antique desks with the secret compartments.

Looks like the next episode will be a lot of fun with Maomao and Jinshi venturing outside the palace together.
Jan 27, 10:20 PM

Jun 2021
The next episode would be sooo interesting lol
Jan 27, 10:48 PM

Jul 2016
Something about each son's memento being an indiviudal piece to a larger puzzle was just so cool, but tbh I'd probably be frustrated too if a parent left something behind in such a cryptic way lol

Calling it now: Jinshi with makeup is going to look exactly like Ah Duo.
Jan 27, 11:23 PM

Mar 2020
Maomao's detective skills are put to the test again...

This episode was probably the most detective-esque one so far, but the one thing I missed dearly was the comedy, which was not at the forefront of the content of this episode. It showcased Maomao's skills well though, especially with the opening of drawers with the light rays shining toward it. A bit more scientific for sure this time around.

I've felt this for some time now however unfortunately, but some of these recent episodes, including this one, did kind of lose me, in that the animation and storytelling felt rather "mundane", and played it safe, compared to the first half of the series. The episodes aren't flying by as much as they did before, but Maomao is still keeping my enjoyment at a high level. Hopefully the upcoming episodes really turn this around though.
Jan 27, 11:25 PM
Apr 2022
Is any one else finding this half of the season kind of boring compared to the first half? I miss the other characters. The other setting had more going on and was far more interesting
Jan 27, 11:47 PM

May 2015
Reply to MickeyMinaj
The next episode would be sooo interesting lol
@MickeyMinaj That was exactly my thought when I saw the teaser at the end of the episode. The story of the metalsmith's heritage was an interesting one but it clearly felt just one of those transitory filler episodes that cushion the space between two main arcs. The next one seems to be something different, a treat, the begining of one of those stories that make this anime so great and enjoyable.
IshitatesoJan 27, 11:51 PM
Jan 27, 11:53 PM
Oct 2020
we are getting close!!
Jan 27, 11:55 PM

Jun 2021
@Ishitateso IKR, this episode was the same old Maomao solving some case, it got slightly repetitive & predictable so it's now a filler kinda category to me. The teaser brought me back to the hype. It's when Jinshi enters the picture, things get more interesting (not just lurking around Maomao to see what she's upto)
MickeyMinajJan 28, 12:58 AM
Jan 28, 12:39 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to MickeyMinaj
@Ishitateso IKR, this episode was the same old Maomao solving some case, it got slightly repetitive & predictable so it's now a filler kinda category to me. The teaser brought me back to the hype. It's when Jinshi enters the picture, things get more interesting (not just lurking around Maomao to see what she's upto)
@MickeyMinaj Ah to be an anime-only....
You can't just selectively label something as filler based on what you find repetitive and predictable lol...This case is actually important in kind of the first extended story arc the show is about to have... which is typified by Lakan mentioning that the simple metal part made by the late father could be used as some sort of a ritual utensil. But idk, maybe you'll find the arc boring and add it to your "filler category" again.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Jan 28, 1:27 AM

Jun 2021
samsince04 said:
@MickeyMinaj Ah to be an anime-only....
You can't just selectively label something as filler based on what you find repetitive and predictable lol...This case is actually important in kind of the first extended story arc the show is about to have... which is typified by Lakan mentioning that the simple metal part made by the late father could be used as some sort of a ritual utensil. But idk, maybe you'll find the arc boring and add it to your "filler category" again.

Another day, another kid assuming someone as an anime only. I've read up until Vol6 then later picked up anime after a considerable gap, still got a fair idea on the upcoming chapters. I don't typically add any manga entries on MAL since this is just to keep track of anime, used to be a Manga-only and can't even remember what I read on what date or year (and trust me I'm not the only one, so you gotta be careful on your assumptions here on). Started watching anime just 7-8 years ago and got on mal like 3 years ago.

Not a fan of spoiling other people's experiences here in forums, discussions are meant for people to share their opinions and I did mine. Have a great day tho
Jan 28, 1:59 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to Teldrasil

@DreadfulLaw you just need to wait next week for next episode
@Teldrasil zamn man i didn't know thx for telling me
Jan 28, 2:41 AM

Dec 2022
Maomao looks so pretty in the trailer for the next episode, I am so excited!
Jan 28, 3:27 AM

Jun 2023
Reply to katakumplat
Maomao looks so pretty in the trailer for the next episode, I am so excited!
@katakumplat Omooo omoooo next week come faster juseyoooo
Jan 28, 4:38 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah this is it. The better 'week of the case' not some weak 'pufferfish' case from before. But to think that its far from solving the usual murder case yet along with her experience related to the body health, till she mentioned metalworkers illness out of blue. Its a truly great puzzle will and big brain Mao solved it in style bringing the siblings back to their unity as well. Damn this episode just a chef kiss literally and metaphorically. You choice

Since the job is well done, thought Lakan might tell Jinshi the real deal already. But looks like both liking the roundabout way, with the puzzle wish from the strategist, and as for Jinshi, he wanna take Mao into a jaunt!

Please make him a clown, Maomao. I dare you....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 28, 6:52 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
This case was boring, but MaoMao was cute as always.
Next episode looks fun, tho (:
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Yesterday

61 by kappa1uk »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

11 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:27 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.