Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 2, 2023 8:22 AM

Dec 2021
The notion of prohibiting individuals under the age of 20 from consuming sake seems like a nightmare to some.

Chased by intense duties, a notice of the death of a military officer reaches Jinshi, the one overwhelmed by his responsibilities. The cause of death is attributed to excessive drinking during a gathering with comrades. However, Jinshi, who is familiar with the deceased officer, is not convinced and seeks answers about the alcohol-induced death from Maomao. Upon investigation, Maomao, understanding the officer's dietary habits and the reasons for heavy drinking, deduces the true cause of death from a bottle containing alcohol. Maomao reflects on the thoughts of people's deaths and unexpectedly pleads, "I want to be poisoned." What is the true intention behind this plea?

It's funny how Maomao continues to believe that Jinshi is a eunuch. Despite the lack of evidence to the contrary, she has no reason to think otherwise considering the circumstances. Men, even close blood relatives, are prohibited from entering the inner palace, hinting at the possibility that he may be one.

Despite the appearance of Maomao harboring a passionate hatred for Jinshi, it becomes evident that she places a significant amount of trust in him.

Dec 2, 2023 9:48 AM
Jan 2021
People are hating it ?
Dec 2, 2023 10:15 AM
Mar 2023
DiomarBrasindo said:
People are hating it ?

ya, it's quite surprising. tbh this maybe weakest episode till now but that last conversation between maomao and jinsi made it this ep 4/5 for me
Dec 2, 2023 10:24 AM
Sep 2015
I'm wondering what's the ultimate fate of these two cases, any punishment? any re-investigation? but maybe the author's intention is to put audience in the same view of Maomao, a view that avoiding knowing too much, because knowing too much can be a burden to your mind.
Dec 2, 2023 11:15 AM

Jul 2017
Jinshi, still heartstruck from Maomao's reply, even his right-hand man Gaoshun couldn't fathom the intricacies of her connections. But suddenly, a murder case on the dynamic warrior Kounen who is a drunkard and died from that, he requests Maomao's help to figure out where the poison could've come from. Sure, it could be extraneous amounts of salt, but looking at Kounen's history, his inability to taste salt coming from the fact that his family died early, it can only be pinpointed at officials who resented overworkers like Kounen to literally add salt to his wound. As thanks, a bottle of sake given to her secretly, and an alcohol bill that literally puts Maomao on the crime podium for drinking underage, she'd fear for her life if that bill was passed.

However, there is yet another murder suicide case where Maomao could not touch corpses, and the quack doctor being a sissy, she can only observe how the girl died, though Concubine Fuyou's case did shine some light on it, though at this point it's hard to speculate between suicide and murder. XAI's solemn insert song around the potted plant as Maomao requests Jinshi to handle her execution if she does a wrongdoing one day, it definitely hits his nerve badly, though the case was soon resolved as a suicide.

Concubine Ah-Duo from the Garnet Palance requesting Jinshi's attention, what could it be?
Dec 2, 2023 11:15 AM

Apr 2010
Well the number of murders this episode makes me think that the palace is a very dangerous place and there are lot's of things that need solving. Maomao will be busy.
Anyway her conversations with Jinshi where nice this episode.
I also liked her reaction with the sake.
Dec 2, 2023 11:18 AM
May 2021
Interesting ep, peak for the lady who died still. Liked the music when maomao was younger?
Dec 2, 2023 11:33 AM

Mar 2021
Really great episode Maomao looked adorable when Jinshi gave her booze as a reward,am really looking forward to the next episode and seeing if they confront the lady in waiting that might be the one that is using poison
Dec 2, 2023 11:38 AM
Oct 2016
Jinshi getting over his shock at Maomao explanation for her absence. After things were explained to him I'm sure it made more sense, realizing that Maomao had just given a letter of introduction not her body. Jinshi with his feelings hurt was kinda funny, his pouting annoying Gaoshun made me laugh. Refusing to do work because he's so upset but a shocking death snaps things back to serious mode. An older gentleman dying during a drinking party isnt unusual but this case is still peculiar. Jinshi not fully believing it was just from the drinking, calling in Maomao to give her expertise. While not showing much sympathy Maomao does make some solid determinations, someone must've put salt in his drink. There's A lot of substances that we need or can at least stand in moderation but in excess can be deadly. Alcohol and salt are some of those, salt especially since it can lead to dehydration and even more so in put in a drink. Another mysterious death of a servant throwing herself from the palace walls into the moat. She was a servant at the party so maybe there was guilt involved and even though both were settled as self inflicted it still doesn't feel right. Like there's something else going on. Maomao seems to think this but is content for now. Gaoshun seems to have a lead on the fire case from before so maybe that will lead to some results.
Dec 2, 2023 11:41 AM

Jul 2017
This was kind of meh for me but I did like Maomao's self-reflection surrounding death and how Jinshi should kill her with poison if he was ordered to kill her. Considering the amount of death that has taken place with the cases in the palace, and the cruel reality she had been surrounded by since she was a kid, she understands how lives can just disappear in an instant just like that through whatever way. The cases themselves were not that interesting whatsoever but Maomao's characterization and her serious tone conversation with Jinshi towards the end saved it from being completely dull to watch. Still think it might be the weakest episode so far or at least near the bottom, especially with how good the last bunch of episodes have been.
Dec 2, 2023 11:44 AM

Mar 2020
Excessive drinking, and a question of suicide or murder, what is the true answer to all of this?

It's interesting how this series introduces a lot of mysteries, but doesn't outright provide the answer, or culprit to the viewer. We get the reasons why the people die, but you're left questioning if that was really the truth. Whatever the case may be, it was nice seeing Maomao's wit and intellect in action again, along with her love for alcohol and poison. While I would say that this was one of the weaker episodes so far, the last scene with Maomao reflecting on everything that has happened so far in the inner palace was executed well, and she requested that if she was ever to be executed, that Jinshi does it with poison. It raises some questions, to be sure, and now we move on to the next segment, which seems to have something to do with Concubine Ah-Duo.
Dec 2, 2023 11:52 AM

Oct 2017
The value of life eh, that really left Jinshi speechless there. I really hope this ain't some forshadowing and even if the time comes Jinshi will be there to save Maomao. Also looks like we'll get more focus on Ah-Duo as her lady in waiting is the one suspected. Btw good to know Jinshi's misunderstanding was cleared by Gyokuyou. Poor guy would have been traumatised otherwise.
Dec 2, 2023 12:01 PM

Mar 2023
Good episode:

* Sodium poisoning (that one really felt like a Dr House moment)
* Ban on booze (as a joke, but it works, ah drugs :) )
* Murder dubbed suicide
* Possible foreshadowing for maomao getting into a dangerous situation very soon

This whole episode was the two main cast interacting
Dec 2, 2023 12:14 PM

Oct 2012
Gosh I love Maomao. It's unfortunately the type hierarchy she's in, but she understands it and works with what she's dealt with.
ALSO LADY AH DUO YOU ARE STILL SO BEAUTIFUL I'M EXCITED FOR NEXT WEEK (i'm excited for every week for apothecary diaries)
Dec 2, 2023 12:31 PM

Sep 2023
Well, this anime just got dead serious. Time to up the score. :D
Dec 2, 2023 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
Sad seeing that part of the death montage with Maomao contemplating her own death, as though it's not a matter of if but when. She's so calm and succinct with her words to Jinshi that it seems like she has already accepted it. I like how they're carefully handling the themes of death so far.
Dec 2, 2023 12:39 PM
Aug 2015
Does anyone know the song that was playing through the flashback scene?
Dec 2, 2023 1:08 PM

Jul 2022
damn bro why the talk about death all of a sudden like that
Dec 2, 2023 1:16 PM
May 2021
Weird they skipped loads of dialogue then spent ages feeling sad with a spinning plant. Especially as Maomao is so unfazed by death.
Dec 2, 2023 1:26 PM

Apr 2008
What is the insert song in this episode? It was so beautiful
Dec 2, 2023 1:43 PM

Sep 2019
Reply to KANLen09
Jinshi, still heartstruck from Maomao's reply, even his right-hand man Gaoshun couldn't fathom the intricacies of her connections. But suddenly, a murder case on the dynamic warrior Kounen who is a drunkard and died from that, he requests Maomao's help to figure out where the poison could've come from. Sure, it could be extraneous amounts of salt, but looking at Kounen's history, his inability to taste salt coming from the fact that his family died early, it can only be pinpointed at officials who resented overworkers like Kounen to literally add salt to his wound. As thanks, a bottle of sake given to her secretly, and an alcohol bill that literally puts Maomao on the crime podium for drinking underage, she'd fear for her life if that bill was passed.

However, there is yet another murder suicide case where Maomao could not touch corpses, and the quack doctor being a sissy, she can only observe how the girl died, though Concubine Fuyou's case did shine some light on it, though at this point it's hard to speculate between suicide and murder. XAI's solemn insert song around the potted plant as Maomao requests Jinshi to handle her execution if she does a wrongdoing one day, it definitely hits his nerve badly, though the case was soon resolved as a suicide.

Concubine Ah-Duo from the Garnet Palance requesting Jinshi's attention, what could it be?
KANLen09 said:
It's about the fire incident from before what else.
Dec 2, 2023 1:47 PM

Sep 2019
Reply to IzanaSolos
The notion of prohibiting individuals under the age of 20 from consuming sake seems like a nightmare to some.

Chased by intense duties, a notice of the death of a military officer reaches Jinshi, the one overwhelmed by his responsibilities. The cause of death is attributed to excessive drinking during a gathering with comrades. However, Jinshi, who is familiar with the deceased officer, is not convinced and seeks answers about the alcohol-induced death from Maomao. Upon investigation, Maomao, understanding the officer's dietary habits and the reasons for heavy drinking, deduces the true cause of death from a bottle containing alcohol. Maomao reflects on the thoughts of people's deaths and unexpectedly pleads, "I want to be poisoned." What is the true intention behind this plea?

It's funny how Maomao continues to believe that Jinshi is a eunuch. Despite the lack of evidence to the contrary, she has no reason to think otherwise considering the circumstances. Men, even close blood relatives, are prohibited from entering the inner palace, hinting at the possibility that he may be one.

Despite the appearance of Maomao harboring a passionate hatred for Jinshi, it becomes evident that she places a significant amount of trust in him.
IzanaSolos said:
Maomao reflects on the thoughts of people's deaths and unexpectedly pleads, "I want to be poisoned." What is the true intention behind this plea?
She just wants to be poisoned to death if she ever gets the death sentence like she said this episode.
Dec 2, 2023 2:04 PM

Apr 2022
this one for my alcoholics. waiting till would be kinda rough ig lol but it's 18 where i'm at luckily, maomao nearly flipped. drowned victim case as well, damn the orange lighting in that one scene looked amazing, great scene towards the end.
Dec 2, 2023 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
Oh boy, is that a foreshadowing? Maomao's fate decided by Jinshi one day.
Dec 2, 2023 2:27 PM
Mar 2023
I think I recognized Aimer singing during the discussion of Maomao's death, if anyone finds the title I'm a taker!
Episode was quite emotional, I really liked it.

Edit: the insert song is « Towards the Lignt » by XAI
You can find it on platforms
Flashking69Dec 3, 2023 4:16 PM
Dec 2, 2023 2:32 PM

Feb 2019
Ahh the mystery thickens. So we’re finally starting to get a clearer picture of what’s going on behind the scenes at the palace with these deaths. There’s definitely something sinister.

Jinshi started off the episode down horrendously about Maomao leaving the palace with Gaoshun but quickly snapped back to reality when his childhood mentor turned up dead. Given the guy’s aversion to salt I lean towards foul play, but who and why? The suicide of the servant who worked the party is also suspicious.

I thought we’d get more info on maomao’s dad and why he was acting so sus when she returned home, but seems we’re gonna have to wait a while yet for that.

Aimer on the insert song I think? Maomao requesting to be poisoned if sentenced to death and how the scene turned red with that montage playing as well was a nice touch and good way to end the episode. I think this was probably the weakest episode so far, not bad, but definitely slower and more introspective than the others.
Marinate1016Dec 2, 2023 2:51 PM
Dec 2, 2023 2:50 PM
Feb 2022
Frieren might be the most lauded anime this season but I declare this to be the most beautiful in several aspects.
Dec 2, 2023 2:51 PM

Oct 2012
Maomao is always protecting commoners because she knows how hard life is for them. She hits Jinshi's nerves because his authority makes him do things he doesn't want to, and she's aware of that. Slow episode, but good nevertheless. Nothing much happened but it felt fast-paced somehow.

And we finally found the person with burns in their arms, so we might finally get a conclusion to the Garden Party poisoning episode. Since the servant who passed away this episode was also in the garden party, I assume she was murdered because of something she did or did not do... Some cases are pilling up and finding out what is going on will probably resolve them all.
Dec 2, 2023 2:53 PM

Sep 2016
Another solid episode, I like those subtle details about "that" woman.
Dec 2, 2023 3:16 PM

Jan 2009
I thought that the insert song during Maomao's reminiscence was breathtakingly beautiful. Hauntingly so. My goodness.

As for the rest: People need to be patient. They are planting more and more puzzle pieces, which are not mere independent "murder of the week" fragments, but which will eventually be connected.
Dec 2, 2023 3:23 PM

Jan 2020
The start of the episode is ok, but the end, it was deep, VERY deep. I never expected to see this in an episode like this.
Dec 2, 2023 3:30 PM

Dec 2020
If i got this right the girl of the "suicide" was the one who put the salt in Kounen's flask and killed him. Then the one who hired her killed her and made it look like suicide.

Also lol at that part where Maomao had to be forbidden from touching corpses otherwise she would go around unburying everyone's corpse and turn them into chemicals.
Lux_VacuiDec 2, 2023 3:34 PM
Dec 2, 2023 3:35 PM

Mar 2007
These 2 seemingly unrelated events are surely tied into the main big poisoning plot from earlier?

That insert song was lovely too.
Dec 2, 2023 4:10 PM
Jan 2019
I really liked the darker ending of this episode. I’d read it as a more light-hearted scene with Maomao’s poison obsession, but the anime with its beautiful insert song and montage wants you to think about the reality of the situation and circumstances. I almost feel a bit silly for reading the tone so differently.
Dec 2, 2023 4:10 PM

Sep 2009
Understandable reaction.

Dec 2, 2023 4:14 PM
Aug 2020
another beautiful episode with another interesting story

i'm ready for the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 PM

Mar 2021
What a way to go, oof... I wonder if we'll get Jinshi backstory soon :o

I figured Maomao was around 18, but the way she reacted to 20 being the drinking age makes her seem a lot younger XD

Also, that got dark fast ._.||
Dec 2, 2023 5:00 PM

Mar 2016
Gorgeous art direction and OST aside, this episode basically reminds us that even with the lighthearted side of this series, there's a heavy and somber side as well with all the events, where even the most whimsical feelings of hatred, grudge, and jealousy can easily end a life or two and cause mental harm to many more. This is the kind of dangerous reality Maomao has to deal with on a near daily basis.
Dec 2, 2023 5:01 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
I wasn't expecting the reason Maomao avoided touching dead bodies had to do with getting addicted to turning humans into ingredients, lol. A little dark, but funny.

The insert song montage was really nice. Maomao doing some deep thinking this episode over the realities of life and death within the walls. Also, interesting to see her views of Jinshi as they progress alongside the story. She is seeing him more and more as a relatable human and losing some of the first impression and rumor-mill assumptions.
Dec 2, 2023 5:09 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to ApocalypSnow
What a way to go, oof... I wonder if we'll get Jinshi backstory soon :o

I figured Maomao was around 18, but the way she reacted to 20 being the drinking age makes her seem a lot younger XD

Also, that got dark fast ._.||
@ApocalypSnow MaoMao is 17 at the start of the story. So by this point she is closer to 18 but still. It's more than 2 years without alcohol if they pass the bill. ))
Dec 2, 2023 5:26 PM
Aug 2018
As someone who sees death often, it’s not surprising that MaoMao is thinking of stuff like this.
I find it interesting that she entrusted Jinshi with choosing her method of executions, praying it’s not foreshadowing, but it’s possible.
Question is what poison they use? She’s gained immunity for quite a few no?
Dec 2, 2023 5:34 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to sanalai
As someone who sees death often, it’s not surprising that MaoMao is thinking of stuff like this.
I find it interesting that she entrusted Jinshi with choosing her method of executions, praying it’s not foreshadowing, but it’s possible.
Question is what poison they use? She’s gained immunity for quite a few no?
@sanalai LN is 14 volumes long and is still far from ending. At least 4 years passed in story time and she is still alive.

Also, she is not immune to poison (you cannot be), just resistant. There are a bunch of poisons that she has no resistance to and bigger dose of any other one will still kill her.
Dec 2, 2023 5:44 PM

Oct 2022
Wow, that scene of Maomao internally reflecting on all the deaths or assassination attempts she has witnessed so far hit hard, even more with her giving the option on how she wants to be executed (please don’t be foreshadowing, please…)

Dec 2, 2023 6:01 PM

Nov 2022
This episode was very sad, but I have to say I do love the look of vulnerability in Master Jinshi's eyes.
Dec 2, 2023 6:13 PM
Mar 2019
A couple more Murders or Deaths, soon there will be no one left.
Dec 2, 2023 6:53 PM
Jul 2015
It is remarkable how well animated this show gets when it is really not necessary for this type of plot. Don't get me wrong I love the story, and characters an probably would still watch it if the animation were on the same level as say Tearmoon Empire. The use of this high detailed animation for a series with no action scenes is a weird choice.. I only wish more anime could get the kind of budget needed to animate this well.
Dec 2, 2023 6:54 PM
Mar 2015

The fall out from the party continues with 2 suspicious deaths
Dec 2, 2023 7:06 PM

Oct 2022
That sad point where I totally get where the little poison princess is coming from. It's hard for people to acknowledge their own mortality in modern times. I can only imagine the crushing weight of knowing you can die for a simple mistake. Poor Jinshi though. Hit that nail right on the head.
Dec 2, 2023 7:22 PM

Dec 2022
It's true that commoners were basically nothing, and could be executed for whatever reason people in power wanted.
Dec 2, 2023 7:40 PM

Oct 2022
The melancholy here though, also Jinshi will never allow death to come like that for his favorite apothecary. He will only tease her like with the alcohol bill but no further.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 25, 2023

173 by Cosplay_Joe »»
Yesterday, 7:50 PM

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - May 31

20 by Phloup »»
May 31, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.