Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 14, 2023 10:49 AM

Feb 2023
Greetings!

I don't know if it's just me or in the last few years (Definitely more than 5) Anime is getting worse and worse. Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but to be honest, I'm talking right now about all the new "seasons" through the years Anime is just wrong.

I want to say that all the new series of stories and characters are "same". Too much "fan-service" and all the main or side female characters are either elves or some cat-girls. The male part is always a guy who is a loner and suddenly gets new friends or he's some kind of "necromancer". About the stories. Most of them are some "other-world" reincarnation or magic circles stuff.

But what I really hate almost all the characters are under 18 y.o. or the female part is a 12-year-old girl who follows the MC around. And of course, the MC loves this person to death. Looking at "Ragna Chrimson"

I feel like that Anime has lost its soul. I know that the target audience is the Japanese market but still.

What's your opinion?
Oct 14, 2023 11:03 AM

Dec 2015
Saturation: you're getting almost everything (aside from very young kid shows) made in Japan. Unfiltered. Of course, most stuff is mediocre so it seems overall worse than during the digital fansubs era and even more so compared to the era before.
Lack of original projects: there has never been a large share of original projects funded every year, but everything else is now made in so much larger quantities than nothing "new" seems to come out.
Trends: every period had its trends (look at the robots from decades ago, the games from the 90s/early 2000s, anything - school from the 2000s, etc), but the current one has been a thing for too long, living on a very few and repetitive trends that even cross each other (wich make them look even more repeated).

For the last point, there's an easy fix: stop for a few years and start consuming japanese TV animation again later.
Oct 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Aug 2023
Nah youre definitely right there's been an oversaturation of isekais lately but honestly that's kinda how it goes? I might have a wrong impression but a few years back there was a lot of harem anime but in school settings, it just happens that now it involved into isekais. And later there's gonna be something else.

I think you start to notice these things when you have watched a certain amount of anime, that when you start looking at the newer titles you start seeing a pattern. The pattern being, whatever is selling best at the time. Once people get exhausted of isekais or some anime/manga makes a breakthrough in another genre youre going to see people shift attentions to that. There was a time for the sport anime, then sol/musical anime, magical girls anime... So now we wait for a new "phase"

But you can definitely find some good stuff in the middle of this, you just gotta find it and not look at the score/popularity. What others might find it bad or less good, you might enjoy it. I mean I might be completely wrong so dont take my word for it but i think it might be a little like this

𝑩𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 π’Œπ’π’π’˜ 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 π’…π’‚π’“π’Œ 𝒂𝒔 π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• π’Šπ’”, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’”π’‰π’Šπ’π’† 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 π’˜π’Šπ’π’ π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’“π’Šπ’”π’†.
Oct 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Sep 2018
So much anime exist you got to select the stuff you would be interested in. Many newbies make the mistake of not trying things because a mal score is too low. Also. I recommend going for series in your demographic range.
Oct 14, 2023 11:11 AM

Aug 2018
Bold stance, for someone with only 19 anime completed. And the thing about most characters being teenagers is certainly nothing new. And while it's true that anime does target primarily a japanese audience, that audience is not the same audience from 10 years ago.
Oct 14, 2023 11:21 AM
Dec 2018
I don't know man, you need to watch some other stuff probably. If you stick to certain themes and genres, eventually you'll find the ideas being repeated. It's time to try out shows you have never watched, from the genres you don't particularly watch. We all are biased towards certain genres, but I've learnt to never judge a book by its cover.
Oct 14, 2023 11:26 AM

Jul 2019
Watch more avant-garde anime, people!

-[ ~β™«~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 14, 2023 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
What's sad is that anime has been the same for years now and that's what's so great about the medium but people in the community get burn out almost right away after 2 years and after a while they starting thinking only stuff they watched years ago was unique, when in reality it was just like any other thing that was coming out before or at the same time which the viewer didn't watch
Its like people who think Isekai was only heavily popularised because Sword Art Online despite not being a isekai, seeming to think it wasn't popular before yet exact same season SAO aired we had Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica air which had several isekai characters return to earth and attend school together after finishing their own generic defeat the demon king story line
Oct 14, 2023 11:29 AM

Dec 2015
Ironic seeing this thread during one of the strongest seasons out there.
Oct 14, 2023 11:34 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
10 years from now, people will talk about how much better anime was in 2023 and how everything that comes out now (in 2033) is samey and fanservice ridden.
Oct 14, 2023 11:35 AM

Oct 2019
strongly disagree,

there is more anime than there was ever before, so obviously there is more shit than there was ever before.

Its not that the thing you are describing does not exist. its not even that there isn't a lot of it, cause there is.

but most people ignore is that alongside it there is more than enough fantastic original shows and movies to go with it.

I'll just start naming:

Odd taxi, sonny boy, vinland daga, akudama drive, megalo box, made in abyss, link click, case study of vanitas, chainsaw man, oshi no ko, Id:invaded, kaguya sama love is war, Trigun stampede, fruits basket, mars red, sk8, jujutsu kaisen, beastars, cyberpunk, stone ocean, heavenly delusions, mob psycho 100, the promised neverland, 86, link click, skip and loafer, akiba maid war, ya boy kongming, bocchi thr rock, call of the night, godzilla sp, hells paradise, shadows house, spy x family, the first slam dunk, mushoku tensei, vivy, pet, zom 100, to your eternity, gundam witch, blue lock, ao ashi, summer time render, dorororo, dorohedoror, samoli, astra lost in space, given, dr stone, golden wind, cells at work, banana fish, golden kamuy, violet evergarden,

and hunderds of more.

there are many many many more unique shows that have come out of the past 5 years.

if you don't see them, you're just not looking hard enough.
APolygons2Oct 14, 2023 11:41 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeγ€ŒAMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 14, 2023 11:44 AM

Feb 2021
Simply adapting isekai and idols works practically every time.
Oct 14, 2023 11:47 AM

Jul 2022
I know, right? Just this season, we have yet another isekai in .hack//Legend of the Twilight, the obligatory magic circle stuff in Someday's Dreamers, and of course way too much fan service in Mouse and Lime-iro Senkitan. Oh, wait: those all aired in winter 2003 (and, for the record, I haven't watched any of them and I don't know how good they are).

I guess my opinions are, first, that it's not clear at a glance that any such trend exists; second, that the heart of a work of fiction shouldn't depend on superficial details (like elves versus cat-girls) or genre conventions (like reincarnation); and third, that masses of bad and mediocre anime, past or present, can never stop me from enjoying good anime, past or present. This year, for instance, I thought most of the fantasy shows were downright terrible, but we also had Jobless Reincarnation II and Isekai Cheat Skill.
Oct 14, 2023 11:52 AM
Sep 2023
True, there are many things that makes a show great which are missing from these post-2000 anime that you could find on any of the pre-2000 anime shows, I haven't quite watched many of the pre-2000 shows but everytime I do, it only makes me wonder more on why anime is so bullshit nowadays
Oct 14, 2023 11:53 AM

Jul 2013
Ugh...please do this. Go watch 10 anime from each year from the last 20 years. 10 anime of your choice not 10 random. And if you feel that the anime in the last 5 years is not as good then you can make this statement (modified to 'Anime for me is getting worse and worse').

Do understand anime is for Japanese audiences and most of your arguments are against the shows targeted towards male audiences. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean they shouldn't make it and that the medium is going bad.

There's so much variety of genres that everyone can find a good show (if they search a bit).
Oct 14, 2023 11:56 AM

Apr 2022
You have a lot of "old" anime to watch if you are tired of the new ones. Its true that the ideas are not the same but it is what it is. You can take a break of anime and may e try other type of shows.
Oct 14, 2023 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
I still find in each season 1 (rarely 2-3) title of anime, which I like and which becomes my favorite. Like in old times.
But I did notice that anime studios became more cautious and now release 10-13 episodes per title as opposed to 23-26 in the past. They less experiment, though I can still find some unusual works seldomly. But can't blame them really, anime production costs money, so it's understandable that they are trying to use overused but safe troupes and going for less episodes in case it will flop.
Oct 14, 2023 12:05 PM

Aug 2021
i feel like there are more variety but old anime did feel different
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2023 1:49 PM

Sep 2018
"fanservice"
"elves"
"cat girls"
"loner suddenly gets new friends"
"necromancer"
"other world reincarnation"
"magic circles stuff"
"all the characters are under 18 y.o."
"12-year old girl who follow the MC around"

Not a single one of these is inherently a flaw.

"Ragna Crimson"

Oh, here's one. That's trash.
Oct 14, 2023 2:03 PM

Jun 2012
Is it time for the weekly "new anime sucks" post already?
Oct 14, 2023 2:21 PM
Jul 2021
Saturation, becoming way too popular and the biggest sin of them all. Becoming way too woke & pandering way to hard to the western loonies, forgetting what made anime, anime.

Simple really. 2023 so far has been one of the worst years ever for anime, the fake WEF money pandering to certain ideologies is off the charts and making watching anime this year intolerable!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🀣🀣🀣
Oct 14, 2023 2:49 PM

Dec 2017
Nininiko said:
Maybe I'm just getting old or something
ok look, you are old, I am getting old, everyone else is too on their way to be old. But you know what? Maybe you're just letting yourself be old faster.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Oct 14, 2023 3:17 PM

May 2021
Nininiko said:
Greetings!

I don't know if it's just me or in the last few years (Definitely more than 5) Anime is getting worse and worse. Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but to be honest, I'm talking right now about all the new "seasons" through the years Anime is just wrong.

I want to say that all the new series of stories and characters are "same". Too much "fan-service" and all the main or side female characters are either elves or some cat-girls. The male part is always a guy who is a loner and suddenly gets new friends or he's some kind of "necromancer". About the stories. Most of them are some "other-world" reincarnation or magic circles stuff.

But what I really hate almost all the characters are under 18 y.o. or the female part is a 12-year-old girl who follows the MC around. And of course, the MC loves this person to death. Looking at "Ragna Chrimson"

I feel like that Anime has lost its soul. I know that the target audience is the Japanese market but still.

What's your opinion?

I think for the most part you're describing the "generic isekai", which has been weirdly popular the last few years, regardless of that though, in a medium as large as anime it's normal that only a small percentage is top tier, maybe growing up and having watched more stuff it's just easier to notice
Oct 14, 2023 7:53 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SkyfallStar
Ironic seeing this thread during one of the strongest seasons out there.
@SkyfallStar This is probably the weakest season of the year, although, the complaint from the OP has been said for years so I don't take it all that seriously.
Oct 14, 2023 8:17 PM

Oct 2018
What's happening now is that we're getting used to mediocrity, this happens with anime, series, movies, games, and books. I think anime is just a bit more evident because you can disguise the lack of quality in other areas with good animation.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Oct 14, 2023 8:24 PM

Jan 2021
people been saying this for years but look at western media as well
Western media like marvel, stars wars, TV shows, etc have been falling off because they're following the money. Why make quality when you can just copy someone else, follow trends, and make waifus to rack in the money? Its easier to produce trash like isekai because it makes money with little effort.
Oct 14, 2023 9:10 PM

Feb 2018

What happened to Anime?

All the Wise and Long-Term-Experienced Old-Timers in the industry are now largely Retired and/or Deceased...
Oct 14, 2023 9:15 PM

Oct 2017
My opinion is I saw these shit comments when I was a kid in the mid/late 2000s lol. Usually some Berserk fan whining about how K-On! or Haruhi had killed anime or some other dumb nonsense. That should sum it up. People were talking about time losing its soul in the freaking 90s lol. The reality is OP when you loved anime and thought it had soul plenty of people thought it was soulless.

You have a lot of variety in this season go watch SxF, Pluto, Apothecary Diaries (when they started airing) or Frieren if Ragna Crimson annoys you. I don't know what you expect in a battle shonen lol. They are going to appeal to male fantasies. They always did that shit. Modern audiences wouldn't be able to handle a show like City Hunter where the MC is just a sex pest.

You don't actually know the average quality of anime in the past. It's pretty easy to watch classics but when you actually look at lesser known OVAs you may be surprised how good we have it know when taking into account the overall production/quality we get. For all the meh stuff that may come out we get more good shows due to it as well.

I barely watch isekai and find plenty of seasonals just fine so that is on you. Anime oh the horror has lost its soul making isekai trash. Not like it had a soul making tons of mecha anime to sell toys lol.
BilboBaggins365Oct 14, 2023 9:23 PM
Oct 14, 2023 9:59 PM

Dec 2015
hmmm something which isn't a fan-service, isn't about a loner with new friends sudden, not isekai, not elf/cat girl main side, not about a child [which with proper execution isn't a flaw after all] I guess these stuff doesn't follow it from last 5 years:

Goblin Slayer S1-II [elf is a support character not main], Dr. Stone S1-S3, the ancient magus bride S2 [from what I heard as I haven't checked it out yet], JJK S1-S2, Zom 100, Bleach TYBW, Oshi no Ko, Hell's Paradise, Heavenly Delusions, Mashle, Konosuba Megumin spin-off, Gundam Witch of the Mercury S1-2 [even tho main characters are under 18, although it is executed well that I barely paid attention into it], Birdie Wing, Vinland Saga S1-S2, Tomo-Chan, Nier Automata, Bofuri S2, The ice guy, Trigun Stampede, High Card, Sugar Apple Fairy Tale, Blue Lock, To your eternity s1-2, Uzaki Chan [despite few scenes which might be considered fan-service...], Lycoris Recoil, Summertime Render, Tomodachi Game, Dance Dance Danseur, Healer Girl, Gunjou no Fanfare, Demon Slayer Red District Enterteinment arc or however it was called, Tensai Ouji, Orient, Tokyo 24-ku, Takt op destiny, Kaizoku Oujo, Blade Runner Black Lotus, Cyberpunk, Records of Ragnarok, 86, Vivy, Odd taxi, Mashiro no Oto, Mars Red, Bakuten, Shakunetsu Kabaddi, Bishounen Tanteidan, Joran, Godzilla SP, Cestus the roman fighter, 2.43 seiin, Akudama Drive, Ikebukuro West Gate Park, The God of Highschool, Great Pretender, SAO - Alicization - War [there are no reincarnation or "other world" stuff which people try to apply here], Id Invaded, Psycho-Pass S3, Azur Lane [I don't remember if it had "fan-service"], Given, Bem, Aot s3-s4, OPM S2, Carole & Tuesday, Ace of Diamond Act 2, Jojo P5-P6,

These are all seasonals since Fall 2018 till today which shouldn't follow the criteria, which I know perosnally, If I would watch a better/bigger amount of seasonals which I don't follow that much, the list would be at least 2-3 times bigger. So I need to ask you, are you actually following the seasonals from last 5 years? Some of them might not perfectly match the criteria as it isn't easy to memorise all the flaws you've listed, but for majority of titles if they don't match your views than add more flaws than
A little tip - Filter the seasonals by checking out Ecchi, Erotica, Hentai, Isekai and you'll find stuff which will not follow few of your flaws. Add a check into adult cast, check out kids, and now it should delete most of the flaws except for a guy with no friends and elf, for that you can just read the synopsis

Just in case if you don't know it, here's the screen how your filter should look like, with the flaws listed:

And now after applying it, with no further look into a shows here's the count for each season:
Fall 2023 - 9, Summer 23 - 10, Spring 23 - 8, Winter 23 - 12, Fall 22 - 5, Summer 22 - 4, Spring 22 - 5, Winter 22 - 5, Fall 21 - 10, Summer 21 - 4, Spring 21 - 10, Winter 21 - 2, Fall 20 - 7, Summer 20 - 6, Spring 20 - 7, Winter 20 - 9, Fall 19 - 9, Summer 19 - 1, Spring 19 - 5, Winter 19 - 10, Fall 18 - 9. I am not gonna to filter out continuing/new tv/other stuff, so in last 5 years the shows with the filters shown above in overall numbers are: 147
ZettaikenOct 14, 2023 10:16 PM
Oct 14, 2023 10:21 PM

Aug 2013
Oh God. Another tourist rant about things that he has no idea about.
"too much fanservice"
Lmao.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 14, 2023 10:25 PM

Apr 2018
You seem very confident in speaking on the state of the medium for someone who has barely scratched its surface, OP.
Oct 14, 2023 11:26 PM
May 2012
We cannot objectively say that the quality of the anime has decreased, in fact perhaps the opposite. Nothing lasts forever everything is constantly changing, what we can say that changes is the art, the themes, the narrative, the style, the technique, the technology, etc. (ex: CGI) The older you get you start to notice these changes whether they are for the better or for the worse are personal tastes, theoretically the further you go the more you should improve. The older you become, the less easy it is to be impressed by something new because for better or worse you have already experienced everything. And you can compare everything you already know vs those who know nothing. Anime are made to please the public and if they are successful it means that this is what the majority of people want, if you don't agree it means that you are part of a minority that probably bases their standards on those of the past. Sexualization has always been censored and inhibited for centuries in the past. It is only recently that people are moving towards greater freedom. It is all about culture. We cannot say that sexualization is objectively a negative thing, leading to degeneration of art and society in some way. I think that isekai very much reflect the desire to escape from an objectively unhappy and disregarded reality due to various economic recessions, decadence, social wars, "koyaanisqatsi society" in recent times.
Oct 14, 2023 11:37 PM

Dec 2020
yea i agree, its all the same now. and when i think maybe im just getting older, i compare recent seasons to older ones and u can just see how theres a lack of originality
Oct 15, 2023 9:29 AM

Apr 2022
It just seems like you're describing the average isekai here.

Here's a solution: don't watch isekai. They're all trash.
Oct 15, 2023 10:06 AM
Feb 2021
I think is just nostalgia effect,to me anime is still great.My only problem is the lack of original anime and the studio dont want to fully apdapt the source material anymore.Now we mostly have 12ep anime,if lucky we get a 2 course anime with 24 ep.There no anime with 50 or 60 episode anymore it make me quite sad.One more think is that i think there to much fantasy anime right now and zero avant garde(my favourite).Fantasy not really my favourite genre :_(.

More topics from this board

» Way to filter anime by Main character?

ernand - 1 minute ago

0 by ernand »»
1 minute ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Today

59 by AlmasKittenKid »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season

Raajdeep - 11 hours ago

29 by ZXEAN »»
10 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

54 by RainyEvenings »»
13 minutes ago

» best instrumental op

deg - 8 hours ago

7 by MechKingKillbot »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.