Forum Settings
Forums

do you think we human males will go extinct or humanity overall will go extinct due to science saying the y chromosome is disappearing?

New
do you think we human males will go extinct or humanity overall will go extinct due to science saying the y chromosome is disappearing?
yes
12.9%
no
80.0%
i do not know
7.1%
70 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 28, 2023 6:25 PM

Nov 2022
By now we will just use cloning and labs to grow more humans and such.

We will manufacture artificial human like creatures like all the DearS from DearS

Everyone will be able to have a partner of their dreams.

I wish these times will come sooner.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 28, 2023 7:39 PM

Mar 2008
Salty-GB said:
I don't think you understand chromosomes... the Y chromosome isn't what makes someone male and the Y chromosome won't disappear within any of our lifetimes. It will just be replaced with an X chromosome carrying the same stuff as the Y once did.

This also isn't recent news. We've known this for ages.

That doesn't sound quite right. Someone with XX chromosomes only one of the X chromosomes is expressed per cell so I don't think you can just have an X chromosome do what a Y chromosome does because then only some cells would do what Y is supposed to do but that's not how it works in males, it has to be a different chromosome I think like the O chromosome. As far as im aware what you describe sounds like it is only possible with species where sex determinism is haplodiploidy.
traedMay 28, 2023 7:59 PM
May 29, 2023 4:30 AM

Apr 2022
Its obvious very bad pseudo science...you really might benefit to follow biology and chemistry videos of popular science for your own good in term of critical thinking if you did buy that one.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

May 29, 2023 7:29 AM

Mar 2008
EyeAmTheI said:
As for the OP:
No, we'll not. At least not because of this. Parthenogenesis is the keyword here.

In short: Maybe there will be no more men, but women will be able to reproduce without men (basically they will be able to clone themselves trough natural processes). There are already animals out there that can reproduce this by the way.

I only recall there being a single insect that does this being born pregnant. Seems highly unlikely to naturally evolve that way with humans.
May 29, 2023 9:36 AM

Oct 2021
What type of nonsensical theories are these? It's like western stupidity is crawling everywhere online, many believe the concept of family will dissipate since reproduction to expand the population isnt reasonable human goal anymore to them.

They think that reproduction is obsolete since there are easier forms of fulfilment and there's enough people to last centuries. To some, the idea of a family with the intent of having children isn't progressive, since the moment a man wishes for a child he'll violate a woman's rights in some way. Even a woman could be berated if she wants children her self, the way things are going

Either ways human reproductive failure wont occur. Forget extinction, people are going crazy due to overpopulation. We're simply going to destroy ourselves the way things are going. It's uncertain we'll last for another 1000 years, let alone a million

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

May 29, 2023 10:51 AM

Jan 2015
I don't know, my chromosome is intact and I'm still here.
May 29, 2023 10:55 AM

Mar 2008
EyeAmTheI said:
traed said:

I only recall there being a single insect that does this being born pregnant. Seems highly unlikely to naturally evolve that way with humans.

According to google: "Greenflies, stick insects, aphids, water fleas, scorpions, termites and honey bees are all capable of reproducing without males, using parthenogenesis." I assume there is more. It doesn't mean that they doesn't have any males though, it only means that they can reproduce without them. Although, if I remember correctly that one spieces of insect you mentioned has no males and they are all clones of each other (but I'm not sure about it).

Also, I don't think it is likely that humans will evolve this way either. I only mentioned it as a possiblity. As far as I'm aware of there is no animal spicies that went extinct due to lack of males (at least caused by genetical mutation).

Hm that seems it may be more likely on surface but apparently even artificially inducing parthenogenesis in mammals usually leads to deformity.

I did come across this. Apparently the Y chromosome of neanderthals was bred out because it was more deleterious.
https://www.science.org/content/article/how-neanderthals-lost-their-y-chromosome

May 29, 2023 11:23 AM
May 2023
EyeAmTheI said:
Interesting. Although, if I understood the article correctly it wasn't exactly "bred out" rather it was replaced by the homo-sapiens' Y chromosomes
only males hybrid sapien-neanderthals were fertile, normal neanderthals had an incredibly high mortality rate at birth, making them be proportionally 30-70 times (depending on the period) less populous than sapiens.... when they had sex with sapiens their genes got even worse so of those few hybrids that survived being birthed, only males could reproduce. 

as an example, on this planet in any period of time there were only 8 thousand to a maximum of 50 thousand neanderthals spread across eurasia, which is less than a small village... whilist sapiens in the same period easily surpassed the 100's of thousands per region. 
May 29, 2023 11:30 AM

Mar 2008
EyeAmTheI said:
traed said:

Hm that seems it may be more likely on surface but apparently even artificially inducing parthenogenesis in mammals usually leads to deformity.

I did come across this. Apparently the Y chromosome of neanderthals was bred out because it was more deleterious.
https://www.science.org/content/article/how-neanderthals-lost-their-y-chromosome

Interesting. Although, if I understood the article correctly it wasn't exactly "bred out" rather it was replaced by the homo-sapiens' Y chromosomes.

Yeah might not be quite the right phrasing I used to summarize.

There is some unsourced line on Wikipedia im trying to check if it's true that a certain species of fly is XO while some related species are XY and it is thought the Y gene possibly turned into an O gene but Google just ignores what you search for even if you use quotations which is supposed to override it so I cant get proper results ...fucking Google....
May 29, 2023 12:06 PM

Mar 2020
It seems op must have loved world end harem a lot lmao
May 29, 2023 12:14 PM

Jan 2009
Kokoro_135 said:
It seems op must have loved world end harem a lot lmao

i heard of that anime show but i have not watch it lol
May 29, 2023 12:52 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Time for women to take the lead, we males are now protected species..

We had a anime like that recently

May 29, 2023 12:56 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
JaniSIr said:
Humanity will go extinct long before that.

Human will go extinct by 2060 by my calculations

May 29, 2023 1:08 PM

Jan 2021
People trying to predict this and that...

I don't know anything about the future for certain

we might go extinct tomorrow or in a 5 billion years, nobody knows, I just try to live with that knowledge and do what I can today
May 29, 2023 3:38 PM

Oct 2014
You should post some actual studies and evidence rather than saying "Just trust me, I read a paper and science says males are going extinct".

First off, that makes zero reproductive sense as every single species on the planet (except for asexual reproducing ones) have evolved 2 sex organs/chromosomes and not a single other animal species in billions of years has had the "male go extinct". Second, evolution/natural selection requires desirable traits in order for species to evolve. There would have to be some reason that is optimal for the Y chromosome to disappear and our entire species would have to have traits that select for that over time. I have no clue what studies you are referencing but this is not going to happen lol
May 29, 2023 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
So I guess we're just gonna stay on the same linear track with no new developments between now and "5 million years" into the future? This is more a science of shaping thoughts than anything else.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

May 30, 2023 12:12 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
OMG the hentai is comming true. 😤
May 30, 2023 12:30 AM
Apr 2019
I think the past few years have shown that scientific conclusions about the future of society or the future of our species are almost always wrong.
Join Unpleb, a chat group about animanga. We have a lot of opinions and argue a lot. Sometimes it's loads of funny, but there are long periods of unfunny, as well.

Unpleb - Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/hprTq2Vv6P
May 30, 2023 12:32 AM
Apr 2019
deg said:

>believing in media

ye i know its the trend today to be against the mainstream news media but believing in alternative media makes you cool even if they are more sources of fake news

anyway Fox News being sued made them fire some of their money printing anchors like Tucker Carlson

If anything it's the complete opposite, people blindly believe the news now more than ever. How can you even call it a trend?
Join Unpleb, a chat group about animanga. We have a lot of opinions and argue a lot. Sometimes it's loads of funny, but there are long periods of unfunny, as well.

Unpleb - Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/hprTq2Vv6P
May 30, 2023 3:19 AM

Jul 2021
MoesianThracian said:
deg said:

>believing in media

ye i know its the trend today to be against the mainstream news media but believing in alternative media makes you cool even if they are more sources of fake news

anyway Fox News being sued made them fire some of their money printing anchors like Tucker Carlson

If anything it's the complete opposite, people blindly believe the news now more than ever. How can you even call it a trend?

It's definitely a thing, though I guess you are not in a social group where that's popular.
May 30, 2023 3:22 AM

Feb 2018
No. Japan just solved all birth rate issues. They successfully made test tube human baby

May 30, 2023 7:43 AM

Feb 2015
deg said:
the y chromosome completely disappearing will happen in 5 million years lol ye thats a lot of time but not a lot of time in the scale of evolution and when you think that the earth is 4 billion years old

You shouldn't take anyone serious who makes predictions of thousand of years into the future. Much less millions or billions. This is such an absurd timeframe for a forecast it's not even worth thinking about. Not even as a joke because there is nothing you could compare it to.

Recorded human history only goes back ten thousand years, plus/minus several thousand years if you consider the various theories. For example, no one in 1850 would have guessed how life actually is in 2023. And this would had been a timeframe that allows a serious, or non-serious guess.

Finally, that the earth is billions of years old, or millions, is all smart sounding bullshit that isn't backed up by proof. Science consists of theories. Some theories have been elevated to dogma in our modern school systems, because they allow us to ignore certain things, and focus on other things. It's ultimately politics and ideology that taught you to believe the billion years lie.

Real science has no such dogmas. Either something can be proven or not. And if nothing can be proven, competing theories are allowed to offer the best possible explanation. This is not the case in today's scientific establishment, which operates more like a religion.
May 30, 2023 8:00 AM

Feb 2020
I remember my Private Dr saying this, only in less time than this... that's all I can remember though.

May 30, 2023 8:45 AM

May 2023
In how long are you thinking? It's not going to happen any time soon, but maybe in a thousand years it will.
It is scientifically possible to have a population of entirely females through cloning by fertilizing between different egg cells.
To do so for males would require incubators to give birth.
Something like this could happen next century.
May 30, 2023 8:48 AM

Oct 2015
Not relevant to any of our lives, by the time it becomes semi relevant people will address it, provided they still exist.
May 30, 2023 9:49 AM

Jan 2020
Hell yeah, finally I'll get that sweet double X chromosome
May 30, 2023 9:55 AM

Mar 2008
@0207xander
Evolution doesnt require anything other than reproduction. You can have "undesirable" traits pass on indefinitely so long as they dont entirely prevent reproduction.

@EyeAmTheI
Found there is a bird technically with four sex chromosomes.
https://www.nature.com/articles/539482a

May 30, 2023 11:54 AM

Mar 2019
what is this whole thread lmfao i cant tell if you guys are joking or not
May 30, 2023 11:59 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah, all mammals on Earth would die out in that case. Without the Y chromosome, men cannot be born, only women. By 5 million years, civilization will eventually collapse itself one way or another, and there would be no technology around to clone genes. This is all if OP isn't just bullshitting us.
May 30, 2023 1:54 PM

Jun 2019
traed said:
Meusnier said:

10-20 years old articles (amongst which two are behind paywalls) and one preprint (=not published)...

"The issue was put to the vote with an exact 50/50 split among the opinion of the audience;"

In other words, this (the Y chromosome will disappear in X years) is an educated guess that no one will ever be able to verify anyway.

I just grabbed a few random ones quick. Anyway, I was just suggesting the general concept has validity to it not that claim of a certain end result.

It is an educated guess half of researchers agree with at best. Which makes it completely irrelevant.
May 31, 2023 1:28 AM

Oct 2014
@traed And yet over time, it would prevent reproduction which would make it an undesirable adaptation
May 31, 2023 1:46 AM

Mar 2008
@0207xander
A trait can be undesired in one case and desirable in another.
May 31, 2023 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
@traed  and yet our species all collectively will evolve a trait that will cause our extinction? That seems quite desirable!
May 31, 2023 4:42 PM

Mar 2008
@0207xander
It's called evolution and not intelligent design for a reason. There is no plan and things dont always pan out.
May 31, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
the y chromosome completely disappearing will happen in 5 million years lol ye thats a lot of time but not a lot of time in the scale of evolution and when you think that the earth is 4 billion years old

It is tho, since the first homo sapiens are dated ca. 300.000 years ago, now the first hominids are ca 5 million years old, but that's a long way to go another 5 million years.
I'd rather worry about surviving the next decades lol.
removed-userMay 31, 2023 7:55 PM
May 31, 2023 7:55 PM
Dec 2022
I'm pretty sure that we will have technologies that can repair human Y chromosomes in 20 years. Heck, we might have clinical immortality around the corner.
Jun 1, 2023 3:36 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@deg this is happening for real..

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54850/Oooku

Jun 1, 2023 3:38 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@MalchikRepaid I hope they fix the weather... It's living hell here

Jun 1, 2023 4:07 AM

Jan 2009
@ryo-san  lol that is definitely a harem anime for sure
Jun 1, 2023 4:40 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@deg no its a historical anime.. I've seen the original live action drama and then the remake staring keiko kitagawa..

Jun 1, 2023 8:01 AM

Feb 2010
with genetic editing this can be prevented, but it will require people to accept the idea of genetic editing. however the second genetic editing becomes normal humanity will probably change forever. which is probably for the better anyways.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 1, 2023 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
@traed I get what you are saying, but I think you are confusing general evolution or physical trait evolution with what this describes. Yeah, there is no particular reason certain traits are selected in species, however what this is saying is that humans as a species are slowly evolving to make reproduction harder/impossible. That literally does not happen in nature since when reproduction becomes incrementally harder, that trait is therefore selected out of the reproduction pool, making it less likely to be passed on.
Jun 4, 2023 3:15 PM

Aug 2020
I love spreading misinformation on the internet
Jun 5, 2023 7:11 AM

Aug 2021
DigiCat said:

The human race would be fucking extinct

well some women got dicks theyre gonna have lots of work to do u know im saying
Jun 5, 2023 7:12 AM

May 2021
elgatosaika said:
well some women got dicks theyre gonna have lots of work to do u know im saying

If you're talking about trans women, i'm sorry to inform you, their dicks are not functional, you need certain hormones to be firtile, and when people transition they take hormone blockers
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 5, 2023 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
elgatosaika said:
... and i dont know many women dictators, generals either so ughhh no men no war?

Because they didn't get the chance to become dictators. There are a bunch that absolutely would as well.
As @DigiCat says, politics has been mostly male-centered for most of human history.

Also they can be horrible in other ways. Women / female assigned people might become narcisstistic and abusive mothers or partners etc. They are maybe not socialized to feel the need to overpower others by sexual violence in most cases, but there are more (subtle aka socially accepted) ways to be a horrible person.

I also can assure you I'm female assigned and got as often in fights as boys did as a kid (most were fun fights between friends or in sports), or when I defended myself or another bullied kid. I also defended myself and others against sexual and physical violence.
Violence and aggression are not inherently bad, if you use it for sports or self-defense, and almost every person has the potential to.

Often women / afab people just get much more shame for not being cute little flower children, but standing up for themselves. It's more like these things get more oppressed in us (or at least it's supposed to be like that).
Also you can't speak for all. Lot of others don't want to be portrayed as "can't do no wrong" or "don't ever get violent, only men do."

DigiCat said:
elgatosaika said:
... and i dont know many women dictators, generals either so ughhh no men no war?

There have been queens and emporesses around the world, i highly doubt they were all saints, and do you know what an emporess dowager is? The emporer is not always the one in charge

Recent example: the queen was an absolutely horrible person, she's just not get portrayed like horrible men do.

They might have not been dictators or fascists in most cases, but their very supporting wives, because they couldn't get enough power to hold high, official positions in politics. Becoming their wives is the closest position to.
And don't tell me women like Eva Braun were forced to or just naive girlies. It's pretty well-known about the wives of dictators that they weren't just decorations, but political and quite the monsters themselves.
removed-userJun 5, 2023 11:32 AM
Jun 5, 2023 12:34 PM

Aug 2021
@felori i appreciate ur explanations
what about my point that socially constructed masculinity is inherently a category that produces violence? without this category, and without its social, patriarchal imperatives, the world would be a much safer place
cuz its not like i disagree with the things ure saying, its just hypothetically (doing a reverse shapiro here), would pressing a button "make men disappear right now" actually have an impact on the world of dramatically reducing violence and suffering?
ure right tho, i kinda lost my cool, i do engage in misandry because i have been violated by men one too many times to be fully rational about this
and the truth is, abusive mothers is something i know all too well, and i have actually been sexually abused by a cis woman before
and look, since i talked about social constructivism here, u even sorta mentioned it as well, women do not really do much violence, because this is not what women are supposed to do, this is not what the social impositions of being a woman are, ure right
and just looking at the politics of all of this, more women tend to vote left, and more men tend to vote right, like i wonder why u know lol

and ffs no woman in my entire existence ever violently attacked me on the street for being queer - even thinking about this i tend to completely lose my cool and go on a misandrist rant, but truly this is the only thing that caused me to have these feelings, women will stare or quietly laugh amongst themselves, ill just keep going, but there will always be a man that will immediately get violent, and those are the times when i really want to press that fucking button u know, to make them just disappear forever

rereading my posts again yeah sounds kinda irrational and a little unhinged but i guess im traumatized

an interesting thesis that could be extrapolated from this is that both genders are socially groomed into becoming what they are right now, again there nothing innate about this, in a different reality afabs mightve as well been more physically violent if their social category required that of them
elgatosaikaJun 5, 2023 12:44 PM
Jun 5, 2023 1:15 PM

May 2021
starflutter said:
This is factually correct. It is not grooming to acknowledge what everyone knows, including men themselves - men have a greater propensity towards violence. It is only the causes of said violence (nature vs. nurture) which are debated upon by sociologists, evolutionary psychologists, biologists, etc. Why do you think parents are more uncomfortable leaving their children around male strangers than females? Why do you suppose fathers are so distrustful when their daughters start dating boys? Would you rather be alone in a room of 100 male strangers or 100 female strangers? The truth is uncomfortable, but we all know it. The male sex is responsible for the vast majority of violent crime worldwide

I can acknowledge that men are generally more aggressive than women, but personally, i don't think the amount of "violence" in a crime is what defines how serious it is

For example, a male murdere might be more likely to opt to shoot his victim, while a female murdere more likely to opt to poison her victim, one is seen as more violent than the other, but whatever means they use, murder is still murder, one is not better than the other, just because female criminals tend to opt for "less violent" methods doesn't mean they can't leave the same amount of lasting damage to their victims

On people generally feeling more comfortable arounf female strangers compare to males, i know why that happens, it's a stereotype
Personally i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving kids with any strangers, male or female

starflutter said:
Look at crime statistics based on your own country

Also i'm not american :)
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 5, 2023 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
DigiCat said:
starflutter said:
Look at crime statistics based on your own country

Also i'm not american :)

Yeah... that's why I meant that you can look it up based on wherever you are from. I have a hunch there will be a similar pattern wherein males are clearly, statistically proven to be more violent and dangerous.
Jun 5, 2023 1:25 PM

Jun 2021
I think society will collapse within 50 years. Humans will still be around but not as many as there are now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What was the last Arguement you had and why did it start ?

Thy-Veseveia - 23 minutes ago

2 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Today

11 by Daconator »»
18 minutes ago

» My recent piano practice

philtecturophy - 9 hours ago

3 by philtecturophy »»
19 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

74 by Fancyjasper »»
20 minutes ago

» What if you saw God in heaven? ( 1 2 )

-Usagi - Feb 3, 2016

85 by DesuMaiden »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.