Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 4, 2021 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
This battle was pretty much inevitable for this episode with the massive threat of the Legions.

Pretty intense episode as expected. Even when reliving those memories on the battlefield, it was a painful reminder of the current reality. Too bad there's another delay next week. I'm really curious how they plan to wrap up this anime with its remaining episodes.
Dec 4, 2021 7:33 AM
Apr 2021
Stark700 said:
This battle was pretty much inevitable for this episode with the massive threat of the Legions.

Pretty intense episode as expected. Even when reliving those memories on the battlefield, it was a painful reminder of the current reality. Too bad there's another delay next week. I'm really curious how they plan to wrap up this anime with its remaining episodes.

The delay/break for next week has already been planned from the start, but there is a talk collab between SAO and 86 VAs for the dengeki winter festival
Dec 4, 2021 7:34 AM

Mar 2016
Awesome episode. The haunting scene of the scale Kiriya’s legion frame was done really well and the scale of his attack too. He used his spare unit to his advantage. The battle is far from over, and Kiriya’s rage at the Federacy and the world which took away everything from him is unabated. We hear also more of No Face. Now, the chase begins.
Shishou_23Dec 4, 2021 10:33 AM
Dec 4, 2021 7:43 AM

Jun 2019
Looks like the federal forces don't want to retreat and keep moving forward in order to protect their families which is admirable. At the same time, the soldiers on the front line believe that 86 will open the way for them. But, it's not that easy since they want to avoid fights for as long as possible but the Legion is in their way, and Morpho is where they want to head initially.

Overall, it was an intense episode for sure. Kiriya's depiction was very well done and we also got to see Frederica and Kiriya's memories, which was very sad. It's not over yet but definitely looking forward to the next episode which unfortunately isn't going to be next week. So many production issues this time around.
Dec 4, 2021 7:55 AM
Sep 2021
Another amazing episode, it was really intense, just perfect!
ShineiNouzen1Dec 4, 2021 8:13 AM
Dec 4, 2021 7:57 AM
Apr 2021
I think it really needs to be reiterated that the break next week was already pre-planned, not a third consecutive production issue which many seem to be parroting on various sites.
Dec 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Oct 2017
So they replaced the morpho instead of repairing it and thnx to that the whole plan was a mess. The action scenes in this episode was so satisfying as usual. Also Frederica was inside Fido after all.

Excited to see how the chase will go but sadly once again we gotta wait two weeks for next episode.
Dec 4, 2021 8:47 AM

May 2020
As expected Frederica snuck in when they were departing that time, but have to go back now, as can't take her along when chasing Kiriya.

And whenever it starts picking up momentum, there's that damn break. It's not funny to be honest.
Dec 4, 2021 8:47 AM

Dec 2015
The episode was kinda interesting. Love Kiriya's voice, especially when he's talking with No Face.

It sucks we have another delay again, even if it was planned before.
Dec 4, 2021 9:05 AM
Jan 2021
Spectacular episode. A-1 Pictures, thank you for that hard work and the delay which made this episode, and have a good rest too!

EDITED: Wait a minute, I need to know everyone who gave 1/5 to this episode, just why did you give 1/5, which things did you hate ...
teofilusSWDec 4, 2021 9:13 AM
Dec 4, 2021 9:08 AM

Nov 2019
It was worth waiting for this episode; very well-orchestrated battle.

Frederica with the shenanigans, that was infiltration, just needed to work more on the cat sounds, to make it more convincing

Dec 4, 2021 9:16 AM
Apr 2019
teofilusSW said:
Spectacular episode. A-1 Pictures, thank you for that hard work and the delay which made this episode, and have a good rest too!

EDITED: Wait a minute, I need to know everyone who gave 1/5 to this episode, just why did you give 1/5, which things did you hate ...
They give 1/5 to every episode lol
Dec 4, 2021 9:18 AM
Jun 2021
This ep was tooooo gooooood. 😍I love it. We've seen a intense fight scene, Kiriya and Frederica, Grethe and Willem (which is a new information). And something I'm wondering is it okay that Shin gave his gun to a 10-years-old girl? I know she knows such a lot of thing and understand the situation but I felt 😳. Another thought is the gun was like a safeguard or something she can hold on to maybe. Just wan to tell this ep is so greatttttt. Want more than 2 parts!!!!
Dec 4, 2021 9:19 AM
Apr 2021
teofilusSW said:

Happens to many shows that trolls just leave 1/5 ratings as soon as the thread is up
Dec 4, 2021 9:39 AM
Apr 2013
Good ep.

Why is Lena even on the promo poster for this season?

Dec 4, 2021 9:40 AM

Nov 2013
Well worth the 2 week wait. Man what a banger of an episode this was.

That part in particular when Kiriya baited the Nordlicht squad to his follow-up attack was so incredibly well-directed that I was on the edge of my seat.
The use of tracks, Kiriya's wails (his voice in particular was so on point during the whole episode), the sound pauses, Frederica's warning... What a treat sound-wise that elevated the scene to another lvl. The brief showdown between Shin and Kiriya was also well-done.

Anyway another 2 weeks wait on the card, but this time it isn’t the anime’s fault since next Saturday is Japan day. Looking forward to more.

Dec 4, 2021 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode once again.We got to see Kiriya's mental state and also his memories with Frederica.Speaking of Frederica she expectedly came with them.

Bit more insight on Willem and Grethe.

Also Shin is really going for the kill of Morpho.

Next week is Holiday in Japan so after 2 weeks for Episode 9.

Dec 4, 2021 10:04 AM

Jul 2016
The Morpho revealed itself. And the Nordlicht squad fighting it. The railgun effect when it shoots is amazing that impact frames and lighting and explosion of it is great. They depict the Morpho true to its name. The model too its nice with that wings and several legs that moves on railways.

The trapped prepare by Kiriya is thwarted by Frederica calling Shin that they shooting on is a dummy of Morpho. And the real is hiding and waiting its chance to strike. Which alerting Shin and he order the squad to retreat to not caught of the blast area.

The second half is on Kiriya POV remembers the past memories of his empress and the revolt that happens in a flashback. Which he reminded him of Shin being a relative because of mark on his Reginleif.

The final part is about preparation to chased the Morpho and destroyed it. Overall great episode

Dec 4, 2021 10:04 AM
May 2021
great episode 👏👏
Dec 4, 2021 10:08 AM
Mar 2018
Man, Kiriya's VA is really good at sounding insane, psychotic, and angry. As expected of Thorfinn's VA.
Dec 4, 2021 10:09 AM

Apr 2019
Amazing episode, the studio is doing a great job conveying the adaption.

Dec 4, 2021 10:09 AM

Jul 2017
A fine episode. Still don't care much for the characters and the Kiriya elements this season including glimpses of his past along with Frederica, but it was mostly action this time around and that aspect was fun enough to watch this week. The sound design in general for this week stuck out to me more than the visuals themselves alongside some pretty quality voice acting and delivery as a whole to create tension pretty well at times in the middle, it was really good stuff there.

This definitely was not the peak of the action and thrills though in this war, clearly more to come and should be on a good run with the final 4 episodes hopefully airing together without any further delays after next week to build up the momentum for this whole ordeal really well from a weekly experience. From the LNs, I do like the final stretch to come way more than everything else before it so I'm anticipating that run to deliver.

I will admit, the delays have not helped with retaining much hype for future episodes especially given how frequent they are but when I eventually would rewatch this season at some point, this at least wouldn't be a problem then. At least it wasn't a production-related delay next week and it was preplanned for quite some time so not much to fault there.
Dec 4, 2021 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
What an episode, this anime is really becoming my candidate for AOTY at this point.
The animation was so good and this is probably the best use of CGI I have ever seen in an anime.

Sadly no new episode next week, at this point I just decided to read the LN instead of waiting.
MadanielFLDec 4, 2021 10:14 AM
Dec 4, 2021 10:13 AM

Feb 2012
0:58 Grethe, you damn crazy- ngl seeing the Feldreß parachuting is cool af, reminds me of Gundam The 08th MS Team.
4:29 This ain't no small fry legion you're dealing with anymore.
5:28 It's a feint! Or is it? Sound like someone stowed away... “The moment he understood, a shiver ran up Shin's spine.”
8:32 More to add to the "Scary quotes by Ernst" list.
10:26 Kiriya's too proud to do a double-tap. Watch where that gets him...
11:15 Didn't confirm his kill now he's disobeying No-Face's orders as Shin advances.
12:28 The flashing between Kiriya and Shin's faces, pure Kino.
15:27 Kiriya's remembers Frederica. So many parallels to Shin and Rei.
17:57 Aww, they removed Willem finding Grethe alive in a damaged Reginleif.
19:16 If you didn't catch Frederica's voice when the Morpho fired...
21:17 The reality of unnecessarily coming to the front line. Preparing for every possibility; Frederica would have to prevent the Legion from harvesting her. Poetically, it would be with the same gun she returned to Shin in ep 14.
Fortress_MaximusDec 5, 2021 8:28 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 4, 2021 10:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
After so long its nice to finally see Shinn and team return. Morpho sure takes first place in most original shape for a legion combat machine for sure. What is it though with Federacy's high command's insistence on brash actions though. Ernst though sure had one hell of a badass moment when opposing them though. The insight into how the legion operate on a command level was insightful. Have to say Bernholdt really has earned my respect as he remained loyal to Shinn even when things turned fubar. On the plus side its nice to see Grethe survived the insertion. Though her past with regards to fiancée's death before the marriage was tragic. Frederica stowing away to enter a battlefield really was brave but reflected well her desire to change Shinn's thoughts. Overall a pretty balanced ep that showed well as its centerpiece the assault on Morpho as well as an intro to Kiriya's inner thoughts to his orders. While i can't tell how much was upscaled from the original animation the animation for this ep i felt was of pretty good quality that showed that if given time to improve the animators can deliver.

Given they have 4 ep left and that volume 3 is one of the shorter novels they should be able to cover the rest in its entirely with no problem.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2021 10:18 AM
Oct 2016
Our heroes first battle against the Morpho ends with a stalemate. That big rail gun tried to take them out after they fell for the decoy but the eighty six are too good for that. Even with being tricked by the Morpho they still survived that massive attack. A single blast from the rail gun taking out most of that old empty city. Kiriya inside the Morpho really wanted to kill Shin, he had that overwhelming urge to finish Shin off but had to follow his own orders. Withdrawal being the only option after Shin closed the distance and therefore had the advantage. Some sad images flashes in Kiriya mind as he remembered his time with Frederica.

First half of the episode was crazy during that battle. I held my breath through a lot of it as Shin charged towards Kiriya with reckless abandon. Having to be called back by his squad mates after the other Legion forces surrounded them. Thankfully nothing awful happened and now they're in pursuit of the Morpho and Kiriya. Apparently with little Frederica stowed away inside Fido! That was hilarious when she tried to disguise herself as a cat so they wouldn't look. Shin is right that they need to press on, no point in retreating today just so they die tomorrow. Have to take the Morpho and Kiriya out before they get too far into Legion territory.
Dec 4, 2021 10:19 AM

Jul 2017
86's 2nd Cour getting concurrent 2-week delays is bad, but ups for A-1 Pictures with the production quality.

The Nachzehrer with Grethe in it along with the 86 in their Reginleifs, Shin's Legion-hearing ears are quite stressed this episode, especially with the Morpho, which really gives the ominous feeling of the combined effect of the Black Sheep's voices altogether. It's a good thing that Frederica's abilities helped a lot in this case, which against the Morpho, Shin and the others barely stood a chance surviving in the battlefield, which in all ways will still initiate a total wipe-out.

Kiriya as No-Face REALLY lured all of them good, and the Nordlicht Squadron is holding on steadfast. Shin in the Reginelf known as Balegyr to the Legion, the glances of the brothers against each other...really is telling to go for the straight kill. Regardless, a mission is a mission, and the Morpho is the ultimate enemy target to beat no matter how far it retreated. Even with the backstory of Kiriya and Frederica which saw the downfall of the Giad Federation, Kiriya's mental state is just too much to bear.

Quite the history between Grethe and Willem as the Black Widow and the Murderous Praying Mantis, and as expected, Frederica will always find a way to escape to join Shin and the others on the battlefield, now the 2nd time being an escapee hiding herself in Fido.

Shin callling her to self-suicide if Shin and the others don't make it, that's a burden too heavy on a child, but at least she willing to see it through that they'd make it out alive.

Another waiting season biweekly.
Dec 4, 2021 10:21 AM
May 2008
Wow, the first half of the episode was pure awesomeness, well worth the wait of 2 weeks. The voice acting and the sound effects are top notch. I really look forward the next episode..
Easily 5/5 episode, and every episode just makes it more and more likely that this anime will be AOTS.
Dec 4, 2021 10:30 AM
Oct 2016
Kiriya and Shin facing off

Dec 4, 2021 10:37 AM
Mar 2018
Dukino said:
Kiriya and Shin facing off

What's with the Nouzens and their penchant for slasher and psychotic expressions lol
Dec 4, 2021 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
I'm fine with getting 1 ep every two weeks if we keep getting the quality we are already getting. Other than that another fantastic episode.
Oh god who are you people?
Dec 4, 2021 10:47 AM

Nov 2020
I love the ED this season, it fits so well with the show. The one thing I hate about this show is that there isn't going to be another episode next week. Can't be mad though, quality is amazing and I won't mind another delay just so they can keep this kind of quality.
Dec 4, 2021 10:49 AM

Jul 2015
yea.. the battle was Hype..
i was honestly worried that the Rin Tohsaka sounding spider girl died but thank god.. she survived.. its rare for someone to actually survive in this show..

Shinei made some funny faces in this episode.. not gonna lie..

Another off week.. the only bad thing about 86 this season... is the delays
but meh.. if the result is better quality then i guess i would rather wait and get this quality of episode then get cgi crap like some titans fighting each other in ps2 game..

Dec 4, 2021 10:50 AM

May 2015
86 chasing morpho. Thats gonna be good.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 4, 2021 10:57 AM
Dec 2007
ollythirteen said:
Good ep.

Do you really want to know? Its a spoiler....
Dec 4, 2021 10:58 AM

Jun 2015
Now that was an episode. This show for me is defo one of the best im following this season and I can only imagine its going to get wilder as the close comes in. it has epic action, but it also has some seriously deep feels with the characters involved.

Fredrica turning up at the end too was nice, the link she has bonded with main mc and the just move order was a nice touch. Adds a little dash of supernatural and bloodlines touch to the show. Like when you cooking up an epic sauce and too much of this and too little of that will ruin it. This show is nailing the story so far!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Dec 4, 2021 11:01 AM
May 2021
Shin's rape face is back. This week, it's as smug as ever and I'm here for it.

GGcc78 said:
ollythirteen said:
Good ep.

Do you really want to know? Its a spoiler....

Really, really well said! This is also portrayed quite well in the OP's ending scene.
Dec 4, 2021 11:08 AM

Jun 2013
I fucking hate kids
Dec 4, 2021 11:10 AM

Apr 2021
I just cannot believe the quality of CGI, and the Nachregbanger or however it spelt just gliding away in the background when they were airdropped. Also shin vs the morpho was insanely animated
Dec 4, 2021 11:12 AM

Apr 2021
UkRs said:
yea.. the battle was Hype..
i was honestly worried that the Rin Tohsaka sounding spider girl died but thank god.. she survived.. its rare for someone to actually survive in this show..

Shinei made some funny faces in this episode.. not gonna lie..

Another off week.. the only bad thing about 86 this season... is the delays
but meh.. if the result is better quality then i guess i would rather wait and get this quality of episode then get cgi crap like some titans fighting each other in ps2 game..

yeah aot CGI wasn't bad, but this one puts it to shame
Dec 4, 2021 11:12 AM

Aug 2009
Grethe is alive!!! Thank God.

And we all knew that Frederika was inside Fido it was only a matter of time till she was foundout.

I dont know what is creepier. Shin's psycho faces or Kiri's glitching faces.

Dec 4, 2021 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
Wait WHAT? There's another delay next week? This is the third time. If this is due to production issues then it makes me worried. It's hard to keep thinking "they taking extra week to really do this justice". But I will say the way has been worth it. This episode was amazing.

I'm glad Spider Woman Grethe is still alive. The Nachabrezer scene was awesome. Morpho looks more interesting than I anticipated. But of course the main battle hasn't taken place yet. I'm waiting for it to happen in later episodes.

To no one's surprise Frederica snuck her way inside somehow. Good think Shin makes for a quick solution by giving her a gun.
Dec 4, 2021 11:29 AM
May 2008
0451 said:
Wait WHAT? There's another delay next week? This is the third time. If this is due to production issues then it makes me worried. It's hard to keep thinking "they taking extra week to really do this justice". But I will say the way has been worth it. This episode was amazing.

I'm glad Spider Woman Grethe is still alive. The Nachabrezer scene was awesome. Morpho looks more interesting than I anticipated. But of course the main battle hasn't taken place yet. I'm waiting for it to happen in later episodes.

To no one's surprise Frederica snuck her way inside somehow. Good think Shin makes for a quick solution by giving her a gun.

This time the delay is not because of a production issue, it's because there will be some special Japanese holiday, so anything that's airing on Saturday/Sunday is going to get delayed.
Dec 4, 2021 11:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn Frederica is following, but it's already quite hardcore how she got Shin's pistol to kill herself in case if everyone's dead, I hope nothing like that will happen of course
Dec 4, 2021 11:34 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the real Morpho was sitting on the cliff the whole time which caught the 86 off guard and they had to quickly get out of its firing range. Shin almost lost himself in battle again taking on the Morpho head on while his comrades were in danger of being surrounded by the Legion. However, the Morpho got away so they no choice but to chase after it before it targets another city. Too make matters worse Federika have followed the 86 by hiding in Fido because she doesn't want them to just throw their lives away even though its a suicide mission.
Dec 4, 2021 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
Was legit trying to figure out if I was watching 86 or a Final Fantasy boss battle, cause the Morpho's size and appearance looked so unreal just like how the novel described it as such.
The visuals still weren't really the best due to production exhaustion but the sound design was great as usual.
The part where the gang found out that Frederica was tagging along with them inside Fido's storage area was quite funny. Why she always gotta sound like a cat when frightened lol
Another delay next week, sadly, but at least this one wasn't due to any actual production setbacks this time around.
Dec 4, 2021 11:38 AM
Aug 2018
Even though I like the way this second part was going (even with the 2 week gaps), this episode was not good as I was expecting it to be. Some scenes were copied directly from the earlier episodes. Some of the scenes after Shin has told his comrades to equip HEAT rounds were coppied directly from the episode 16 (or episode 5 of the second part). There are some other examples but lets cut it short. Also in some of the scenes when the characters were having a conversation, their mouths were not shown which is something bad. And also the representation of the Morpho was not %100 accurate.
But for the rest, CGI and voice actings were nearly perfect. And the Ernst's speech gave me goosebumps. It was just awesome.
Still I am eager to see the next episode.

Dec 4, 2021 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Every time Federica shows up it kills the tension in the story for me. I don't understand the appeal.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 4, 2021 1:04 PM

May 2016
That sure was intense, Kiri has some memories left though couldn't see any hope for him.
Frederica pulled a crazy stunt here, though I don't see any reason behind her coming was
waiting for a some leading speech but I guess I hoped for too much from a frail girl.
Dec 4, 2021 1:56 PM

May 2021
Great episode! Very intense also!
That scene with Frederica was funny.
Is it a cat? NO! Maybe she is in heat xD.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2021

214 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 11, 5:53 AM

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

535 by riwandha »»
May 31, 1:34 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.