Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 24, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2011
Squarecrow said:
Hopefully we at least get confirmation they're married in DASH.

Fun fact: DASH isn't on MAL. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IKKIsamaDec 24, 2019 4:48 AM
Dec 25, 2019 12:39 AM

Oct 2017
So much forced drama this episode, it was really stupid.
And to end it with the worst theme song in the whole show...

meh
RainyShadowDec 25, 2019 12:44 AM
Dec 25, 2019 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
OMG, what a journey. And to think that i started watching this series by accident and with low expectations. Now i'm crying. High Score Girl definively earned a high place between my favorites.
Dec 26, 2019 6:56 AM

Dec 2016
Very satisfying! I really loved the ending, but I am sad it's already over :(

I was feeling very disappointed when Akira returned the ring and on top of that I hated to see Haruo completely heartbroken like that, but I didn't expect Hidaka to open his eyes in the end! She played an important role there. The hug was too precious and made me so happy even though they have to separate each other and promissed to see each other for the sake of their future together ;w; Couldn't be more happier ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Dec 26, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 2018
ahh, this was such a beautiful finale!!
Dec 26, 2019 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
Predictable, but still very emotional. That's this series in a nutshell I guess.
Dec 27, 2019 11:47 PM
Apr 2013
leonardobarba said:
Bad ending!

Great from 'High Score Girl' through 'High Score Girl: Extra Stage' to 'High Score Girl II'.

Hidaka deserves better. Best girl.

It's too bad, Hidaka seems to have been pretty heavily affected by what happened as she remains single for at least the next 10 years according to the spin off manga
Dec 28, 2019 8:05 PM

Dec 2013
Crashmatt said:
Thought the ending was too abrupt. Hidaka turns up with an awful haircut. Overall good series but could do with an epilogue episode.

Same, an epilogue would do this show justice. I just wanna know how things turned out for them seeing that they were facing a lot.
Dec 29, 2019 3:08 PM

Aug 2008
Another arcade tournament like before. Ending was cliche with the dash to the airport along an open ended "conclusion". Not very satisfying unfortunately. Didn't stick the landing. Gave the first season and Extra Stage both 8's but think I'll have to settle for a 7 with this one.

Those male friends of Harou didn't help either.
Dec 29, 2019 4:59 PM
May 2017
craterman55 said:
It's too bad, Hidaka...

I read about it too.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 29, 2019 11:07 PM
Dec 2019
I’m so sad that the season is over. It ended so quickly. I know a lot goes into anime, but does anyone know if this is it or will there be more continuing their long distant relationship? I feel like I can watch Akira and Haruo forever.
Dec 30, 2019 1:36 AM

Oct 2010
What a glorious episode. I didn't expect oono giving haruo back the ring and him being edgy and emo. Dissapointed that it was hidaka who opened his eyes (could this he more cliche?). Anyways, the airport run was cool and guile doing damage on the plane was awesome. Open ending kinda like the same to
. A great adventure though, 9/10
Dec 31, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Lovely series, it peaked during the Extra Stage episodes IMO. Final season was a bit meandering, but still better than average. Hidaka was the better girl though we all knew she was destined to lose.

This season 7/10, the series overall somewhere in the 8 to 8.5/10 range.
Dec 31, 2019 4:55 PM

Feb 2018
Haruo vs Oono, finally Oono win xD.
Jan 4, 2020 8:40 AM

Oct 2018
drunksecrets said:
Lovely series, it peaked during the Extra Stage episodes IMO. Final season was a bit meandering, but still better than average. Hidaka was the better girl though we all knew she was destined to lose.

This season 7/10, the series overall somewhere in the 8 to 8.5/10 range.

Totally agree the parts that heavily involved Hidaka were the best parts of the show, would love to see the spinoff manga about her when she's an older adult gamer and teacher later in life become an anime adaptation someday. I fell in love with her, and easily knew she was heading for disappointment, but I still assert she is the best girl, call me a sucker for underdogs, she was great! Loved her final figurative 'kick in the ass' for Haruo to help him grow up a bit and admit his feelings to Ono.
MKSTEELJan 4, 2020 8:43 AM
Jan 7, 2020 7:48 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
dannymilk said:
so that felt like a non-ending considering how abrupt it was
i was hoping Oono would finally speak a word tho lol
that last half of the episode was insane thanks to Hidaka snapping (wish video games could do that for me lol)

Thank you, I felt like I was alone here, great episode but that ending... I just felt that the manga was a coward to end it like this, not only it felt rushed but also the only change is that he confessed, she is still going away.
While I dislike this kind of ending, it can work with an epilogue and time skip to give some sense of closure, this felt really lazy.

Also the really silly scene with the gaming characters appearing and clearing him a path like that.
Overall a really genuine and endearing romcom that deserved a better ending.

8.6/10 = 9
Jan 11, 2020 10:23 PM
May 2013
AHHHHHHHHH THAT WAS FANTASTIC! completely unexpected, what a massively underrated show. holy shit, that ending was perfect. it was predictable because it HAD TO. this is a retro-themed show and that cliche conclusion is how most 90's shows end. much like the stiff, "low quality" animation, context is everything.

to be honest, though, the whole concept of clichés is disgusting. we frequently get horrible, miserable endings for the sake of creativity. i get it if we're talking Death Note type stuff but a show like this just has to have an explosively wholesome ending. more of this for me, please.

all the characters range from good to wonderful. it's amazing how Hidaka speaks a ton and has the most intense feelings, but at most just narrowly beats Oono as "best girl" - not because Hidaka is not a great character, but because they outdid themselves managing to develop a lovable, unique personality for a literal mute.

i'm ecstactic. between discovering Eureka Seven, getting to watch the Bunny Girl movie and now this little hidden gem, the last couple months have been easily my favorite in anime since my formation years a decade back. happy 2020 to you all.
felipecardelJan 11, 2020 10:27 PM
Jan 15, 2020 11:55 AM

Sep 2018
Infatuate said:
for the manga readers, how accurate of an adaptation would you say this was overall? from start to finish that is.

pretty accurate but the 3D animation kind of made them lazy to frame and animate different angles of motion, which made some of the scenes among others, like the fighting games, feel not that exciting and suspenseful..(look up david finchers directing style if you're interested: https://youtu.be/GfqD5WqChUY)

i wish they didnt gloss over the small details, like briefly introducing frame timing, because that's extremely important when it comes to fighting games, but ehh...

the ending was done great though. overall i enjoyed it, but how the manga lays out things and frames action was more enticing
Jan 15, 2020 11:01 PM
Aug 2017
I knew it, 10/10 ending couldnt ask for more but it left wondering if theres a continuation to this story. Hidaka cut her hair and encouraged Haruo to go see off Akira... that was pretty intense lmao ngl. The power of loves making anything possible haha and that hug at the end got me good! I support their love to the fullest.

Well the entire series was puppy love, cheesy but i loved it to the core. Very underrated and im lying if i said that I didnt want a continuation
T-T. Fair play tho
Jan 16, 2020 6:00 AM

Oct 2008
This is why I stopped watching chinese cartoons! Hurts so much!
Jan 26, 2020 2:34 PM
Jan 2017
I feel this season was a lil more dramatic than the last but somehow I love that even more so kinda exploring the characters feelings more. although I do miss the arcade game fun facts that they had in spades in the last season.
overal 10/10
Feb 9, 2020 11:11 PM
Nov 2019
Will there be a third season?
Mar 18, 2020 7:33 PM

Dec 2017
2 seasons and an OVA for that pos ending? The magic of the first season turned into a drama-filled romance triangle show that I just can't enjoy. I'm sorry but that was terrible, at least from my standpoint. Cop out endings are the bane of my existence in the anime world.
join the hyper going home club!

Mar 26, 2020 11:04 PM

Aug 2017
I hate when people start threads with Ah.

Anyway best girl Hidaka loses miserably. Her hair looks worse though. After her steamy episode she won me over, what a seductress.

Racing for love trope makes an appearance with some video game magic.

It was an all right show, well done. Main girl manages to never talk.

Rod_Russ said:
Then she goes to the US. Years go by. And she matures. And she realizes that real life is not a game. And she will find interesting americans men. And memories of Haruo fades away. And that's it.

Haha I like your blunt realism! If Hidaka had kept her mouth shut in last episode she could've snagged Haruo on the rebound, the end.
CarbonMDMar 26, 2020 11:31 PM
Apr 6, 2020 6:33 AM
Jan 2019
I simply love this anime and though I am not satisfied with the ending it was still amazing.
Apr 6, 2020 8:00 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, that was good!!
I am sooo glad he got to see her again before she left...
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Apr 9, 2020 6:39 AM
Jan 2016
Lots of people l9ve the ending but i dont, i hate it. I like happy endings and having this heartbreaking ending kills me. I wish the older sister would of took her place on the plane or something so they could be together instead. Litterally anything would of been better..
Apr 10, 2020 4:38 AM
Apr 2020
Ok im pretty clueless to the female brain as far as their "messages" or signals but how in the holy hells is sending the ring back to him an invitation to return it? Am I nuts? I just dont see how anyone would get bring this back to me from that. Please respond im pretty flustered by this
Apr 13, 2020 1:19 PM

Aug 2012
It was all very cliche but it was such alot of fun too! I liked the ending alot but I'm also disappointed that this is all we're likely to get. I hoped we might get a 2 episode 'Final Stage" OVA or something (getting us to a nice Round 26) with a big timeskip but alas this is apparently where the Manga ends too.

I'd be interested in Dash getting an adaptation as well though I'm not sure what sort of story that is.
Apr 13, 2020 8:54 PM
May 2019
I feel "short changed" with this ending, plus it brought back memories of a past love (graduate school, not HS) who went back to Thailand to "please her family". Fuck that hurt like a motherfucker.
Apr 15, 2020 9:41 PM

Apr 2012
I've gotten used to the 12 or 24 episode format that this series surprised me for only having 9 episodes.

9/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 15, 2020 11:42 PM

Jul 2015
Haruo finally confessed, took a long time but he finally did it with the power of games on his side...even as far as creating unnatural occurences

I think this is the end, not too bad but it doesn't really leave a satisfying feeling. I really hope this gets an ova or something to show what happens in the future between them

Apr 16, 2020 9:36 AM

Mar 2014
and here she goes to away of Japan in the mere ending... again, and yet the last scene made me cry TTvTT Finally Harou confessed his love for her.

What a nice anime, this short adolescent romance was so natural and organic, specially Koharu's part.

Guile best spiritual pal.
Apr 18, 2020 2:29 AM

May 2008
I've always rooted for Akira and Haruo ever since I first saw them interact, and even though that is what the author intended, I still like them very much because of the chemistry. Also, I find Akira really cute.

The finale really made me teared up. Though it is cliche with the main guy going to the airport to see the main girl and having a huge confessing, I can't say that I hate it. It was really heartfelt and I just love it. I haven't read the manga, so I really felt the despaired for Haruo when he gave up and was depress about it.

Overall, I find this anime very enjoyable and even though I didn't like the art style at first, it grew on me along with it's fun story.

Apr 18, 2020 3:09 AM

May 2015
This season felt so short I watched it all in one sitting. S1 was the better imo.
8/10
Apr 20, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2015
Ashhk said:
Great finale but I feel like this season was too short :( it finished so fast
Can't be helped. The manga is too short as well. :/
Apr 21, 2020 8:03 PM

Dec 2008
Aw. I liked this last episode. Very emotional and brought it back to when she left the first time early on.
Apr 26, 2020 12:13 PM

Dec 2014
Finally got around to watching the 2nd season of this and finishing it.

Great show overall, cute and wholesome. The romance and character interactions are so well done and the way video games are used in the main narrative hits incredibly close to home for me. My only gripe is with the way they ended it, I wish they gave us little more, some sort of time skip or something. The embrace in the airport was so wholesome but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little embarrassed when watching it. xD
Nonetheless, great show, we need more of this kind of goodness.

8/10
Apr 27, 2020 12:06 PM

Dec 2009
Eh, the ending was extremely cliche but was saved by the game sprites popping up. Dissapointed Guile didn't end it with "Haruo, go home and be a family man"
May 7, 2020 12:16 PM

Dec 2013
I kinda hate the inclusion of Hidaka, not because she is a bad character or anything like that, but because her and Ono are both best girls, hope they eventually animate her spin off.
May 7, 2020 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
As expected Hidaka never had a chance and was just there to give Haruo a push. Poor girl.
May 23, 2020 10:28 AM

Feb 2014
What a disappointment. Waste of time.

I liked the first season.

Over the time, it got very boring. They dragged the romance with Mr. Dense and Ono who does not say a single word.

Hidaka, obviously and clearly the best girl was pushed away. Obviously, a cliche outcome.

The ending was unsatisfying, they rushed it out of the blue right after Ono and Mr Dense got together (If I can call it like that).

Anyway, 5/10, maybe 4/10.

Overrated anime. Would recommend just to those who are fan of arcade games.
May 28, 2020 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
Damn, that was awesome.

The second half of the episode was so emotional that it made me a bit teary. Loved the way they handled the game stuff. Overall I think it's one of the best and pure romances I've ever seen and really got me nostalgic. 9.5/10
ok :p
May 30, 2020 5:06 PM

Feb 2014
Well, typical ending to a romance anime, but nonetheless, a very cute one (loved that Chun-Li jumping with all the other gaming characters celebrating).

Hidaka tho, one day you will be happy my girl.
Jun 5, 2020 4:04 AM

Jan 2016
Holy shit the scooter ride and the confession, both of them were amazing! Great finale although it did need an epilogue in my opinion

Hidaka will always be the best girl though, she doesn't deserve this shit and her depressing end continues even in her own spinoff

8/10
Jun 20, 2020 4:40 PM

Jun 2015
Everything about this story was bittersweet.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jun 26, 2020 2:10 PM

Aug 2017
Oono didn't say a word in the last episode -.-. Suddenly the anime turned supernatural at the end, it was a good artistic moment without a doubt and the conclusion is cute despite that Hidaka should have a little more screen time and even at least one or two filler episodes to wrap up her arc. I was never a fan of Haru ending with Oono, fortunately I appreciate that it wasn't that annoying although in some situations I found Haru's repetitive gag being hit by Oono was getting a bit annoying.

I started watching this anime in 2018 and I did not expect much back then but after 2 years. I can say that the author was very fond of this series. The complete manga was adapted in 24 episodes and at least 1 or 2 episodes more would have ended it with a higher score or an epilogue would have helped at least. This is a good romcom with games and it really made me forget how horrible Gamers! was back then.

Despite my issues with the anime, I'm going to miss this show and I hope they make a series similar to High Score Girl but with games of our time in the future.

Scores:
Season 1: 7/10
Extra Stage: 7/10
Season 2: 6/10.

NurguburuJun 26, 2020 2:40 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 23, 2020 4:52 PM
Jan 2016
removed-user said:
OMG, what a journey. And to think that i started watching this series by accident and with low expectations. Now i'm crying. High Score Girl definively earned a high place between my favorites.

same here i started it just becuase i saw old nes games and was like meh might as well give it go and i was hooked!

the ending was great, cliche as all hell but i still loved it, had a good laugh when the sprites were blocking traffic for him.
Sep 7, 2020 1:14 PM

May 2017
Flawless Final, that ends there, finally something that ends the arc of the Two protagonists, wow, finally HARUO UNDERSTANDED HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH AKIRA.
And I understood the subterfuge between Miyao and Doi.
Sep 26, 2020 7:49 PM
Jan 2017
I really enjoyed this finale ... even though I know it was a tearjerker, I couldn’t help but cry and smile. I only wish that Haruo had realized his feelings sooner, or confessed before the final match.

Hidaka was the MVP here, for realizing Ono’s feelings and saving their relationship, in the final hour. I’m very glad she did, since this is the best ending we could have hoped for, although it is bittersweet.

Well played.

GG.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

79 by JohnDimension »»
Aug 19, 4:57 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

35 by Hazamelis »»
May 26, 3:11 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:02 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2019

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.