Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most recent CLASSIC anime according to you?

New
Aug 1, 2019 10:02 AM
Aug 2015
The definition of a classic varies according to the person. But generally speaking, it includes long lasting reputation, influence on the medium, popularity and a majoritary critical aprovement from the community.

But I personally think that recently, while there are more and more good animes, at the same time there are less and less classics. And while it's true that an anime needs a few years to become a classic, I think that the amount of classic animes per year has dropped a lot since 2011-ish.

The most recent anime that, I think, is still going to be recommended in 10 years, is Shigatsu wa kimi no uso (2014), even if it's not my personal favorite. I think it cemented itself as a reference in the music genre. And then Steins Gate (2011). I'd like to a add some personal favorites but they're not popular enough.

So what about you?
TheAskaldAug 1, 2019 10:05 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 1, 2019 10:05 AM

Apr 2017
I think the most recent show like that would be 3-gatsu no Lion. I'm not sure if it's going to have long term effect on industry itself, but it could have it on Shaft productions coming in the future, which would be great and make it influential show in its own right. But in terms of story and quality it's absolute masterpiece, especially in S2. I think that with critical acclaim that it got it has a potential to eventually become a classic.

Vinland has potential to become one, but right now I think it's too early to speak about it. It has yet to show if it's going to be worthy of it, but so far it seems to be on a good path.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 1, 2019 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
JoJo is an instant classic and will go down in history
Aug 1, 2019 10:07 AM

Mar 2018
Steins;Gate and Mushishi. It's those shows that you know you'll still hear about after decades.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2019 10:26 AM
Aug 2015
MrZawa said:
I think the most recent show like that would be 3-gatsu no Lion. I'm not sure if it's going to have long term effect on industry itself, but it could have it on Shaft productions coming in the future, which would be great and make it influential show in its own right. But in terms of story and quality it's absolute masterpiece, especially in S2. I think that with critical acclaim that it got it has a potential to eventually become a classic.

Vinland has potential to become one, but right now I think it's too early to speak about it. It has yet to show if it's going to be worthy of it, but so far it seems to be on a good path.

I can't describe how much I love Sangatsu no lion, but it's really underground despite being critically acclaimed (btw it's the 6th franchise of myanimelist if you put the Gintama parts together and don't count movies), so I don't think it will be remembered. I hope I'm wrong. Shaft really did a great work, because the manga is already very good, but Shaft send it in the stratosphere with these visuals, and the OST is phenomenal imo.

GreenSoap said:
JoJo is an instant classic and will go down in history

Definitely. While it may be a niche anime, I feel it will (is) the classic of its own genre.

Smugru said:
Steins;Gate and Mushishi. It's those shows that you know you'll still hear about after decades.

Totally agree with Mushishi. It clearly has the classic vibe, no other anime is similar (Natsume shares some similarities but that's it). Mushishi and Steins are already classics.
Aug 1, 2019 10:26 AM
May 2019
The anime that I would consider classics(10 year time period) according to me would be:
-Steins;Gate
-Madoka Magica
-Re:Zero
-Noragami
-Mirai Nikki
-Psycho Pass
-Jojo
-HxH
-Fate Series
-Guilty Crown
-Death Parade
-K-ON
-Silent Voice
-Your Name
-Your Lie in April
Aug 1, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2018
"What is the most recent CLASSIC anime according to you?"

My standard answer for sudden questions like that is Ojisan to Marshmallow.
Aug 1, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2017
Kaguya sama will become a romcom classic

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 1, 2019 10:59 AM
Sep 2017
JoJo Bizarre Adventure ( which is still going ): The amount of references in other animes and mangas is just insane, also some parts like part 2, 4 and 7 I consider better than some 10/10 animes.

and ofc AOT is insane the amount of build up they did for the basement, and when we got there almost everyone love it. VERY few people were dissapointed and that is really hard to do. ( also the manga is so good hype for S4 )
Aug 1, 2019 11:00 AM

Aug 2017
I would say KonoSuba. I wouldn't call JoJo (as in specifically part 5) a classic, considering that it's a continuation of an existing anime.

Now if I can just use the word "classic" to mean "I liked it very much", I would say Boarding School Juliet, or maybe even Hataraku Saibou.
Aug 1, 2019 11:05 AM
Apr 2019
As per your consideration, Attack on titan would be the classic anime. It has long lasting reputation, first ever anime whoso single episode to reaches IMDB's best tv series episode ranking,,,
It has great influence over medium. Never forget Crunchyroll 🙃.
It's vastly popular,people recommend it if one is new to anime.
Also, it has the reviewer's positive criticizes.
It's manga even surpassed One Piece at one time!!
You will know the hype. None can deny it. 🙂
Aug 1, 2019 12:09 PM
Aug 2015
NakolHira said:
As per your consideration, Attack on titan would be the classic anime. It has long lasting reputation, first ever anime whoso single episode to reaches IMDB's best tv series episode ranking,,,
It has great influence over medium. Never forget Crunchyroll 🙃.
It's vastly popular,people recommend it if one is new to anime.
Also, it has the reviewer's positive criticizes.
It's manga even surpassed One Piece at one time!!
You will know the hype. None can deny it. 🙂

Whgedia said:
JoJo Bizarre Adventure ( which is still going ): The amount of references in other animes and mangas is just insane, also some parts like part 2, 4 and 7 I consider better than some 10/10 animes.

and ofc AOT is insane the amount of build up they did for the basement, and when we got there almost everyone love it. VERY few people were dissapointed and that is really hard to do. ( also the manga is so good hype for S4 )

Yeah I don't disagree with AOT. The first season was just a flashy firework, but it really went deeper in season 3, and became something really respectable. As someone who read the manga, I can't wait for season 4
Aug 1, 2019 12:12 PM
Oct 2018
AoT
Steins;Gate
Kimi no Na Wa

only few i can think of that are mainstream/kinda mainstream
Aug 1, 2019 12:21 PM

Aug 2012
Steins;Gate, definitely Steins;Gate.
Aug 1, 2019 12:27 PM

Jun 2017
Yakusoku no Neverland not mentioned yet so I go with it
Aug 1, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2016
Interesting topic. I also mull around the idea of what the threshold year is for an anime to be a classic is. Personally I'd say Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica are the most recent "classics" since they're so persistent and will probably be recommended for years to come.
Aug 1, 2019 2:27 PM
Aug 2015
raisin-kun said:
Interesting topic. I also mull around the idea of what the threshold year is for an anime to be a classic is. Personally I'd say Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica are the most recent "classics" since they're so persistent and will probably be recommended for years to come.

I love Madoka, but it may lacks at the same time a general critical approval, and popularity. (I feel the same about Shinsekai Yori, it lacks popularity and some people don't like it, but as the years pass, it's still relevant, while the seasonal hits are forgotten in 1 year)

MrAwesome2018 said:
Steins;Gate, definitely Steins;Gate.

freakstrings said:
AoT
Steins;Gate
Kimi no Na Wa

only few i can think of that are mainstream/kinda mainstream

I'm almost surprised to see that most people argree with me. Steins Gate really is the most recent classic (AOT being a serious contender with the latest season), and I find this a bit worrying for anime. I feel that 2006 - 2011 had a ton shit of classics (in my opinion, Death Note, Clannad After Story, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, maybe Madoka even if it's not that popular), but since then... a lot of very good animes, but the "classic" touch isn't here, I don't know why

Aug 1, 2019 2:47 PM

Jan 2018
Next year it's going to be Sword Art Online as a classic anime. Kill Me Baby ~
Aug 1, 2019 3:16 PM

Aug 2009
Probably K-ON!. My logic for determining what makes a show a classic is if it aired over10 years ago and people still seem to give a shit about it.

Aug 1, 2019 3:27 PM

Dec 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin
Your Name
Sangatsu no Lion
Aug 1, 2019 3:38 PM

Jun 2017
Probably Your Name.

I'm sure it'll always be included in those "10 anime movies you must watch" and shit like that. It's already a classic for a lot of anime fans.

Aug 1, 2019 3:41 PM

Mar 2015
You guys forgot about 2017. Houseki no Kuni and Made in Abyss are classic in my eyes
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 1, 2019 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Re:Zero and Kimi no Na wa. 2016 was an amazing year for anime. Emilia-tan <3.
Aug 1, 2019 4:30 PM

Apr 2014
BnHA will always be on the "must watch for 2010's anime list"
Aug 1, 2019 4:35 PM

Oct 2017
I will say that Madoka and SAO from this decade because both popularized a certain genre.

I don't know if other populars shows like Attack On Titan, My Hero Academia or Re Zero would remain popular 10 years from now.

Aug 1, 2019 5:15 PM
Mar 2016
[quote=TheAskald message=58087747
I'm almost surprised to see that most people agree with me. Steins Gate really is the most recent classic (AOT being a serious contender with the latest season), and I find this a bit worrying for anime. I feel that 2006 - 2011 had a ton shit of classics (in my opinion, Death Note, Clannad After Story, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, maybe Madoka even if it's not that popular), but since then... a lot of very good animes, but the "classic" touch isn't here, I don't know why
[/quote]
Agreed, 2006-2011 are probably the best years.

I'd say the only classics from 2011 and up are HxH 2011, Your Name, AoT, and Your Lie in April. I'd say Steins Gate as well, but it's a niche anime. and I also don't wanna call BnHA a classic.. (although I enjoyed it)
Aug 1, 2019 5:26 PM

Dec 2016
Shigatsu? That one just seems too niche to be considered potential classic. I doubt many people will be interested in trying it in the future tbh.

I'm just going for the super mainstream stuff. AoT, BnHA, OPM and who knows maybe even SAO.

Aug 1, 2019 5:30 PM
Apr 2019
I think mob psycho 100 will be a clasic

Or i hope so
Aug 1, 2019 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
Little Witch Academia

It was produced partially via fundraising too so it has more hopes to be remembered fondly
Aug 1, 2019 6:07 PM

Dec 2012
Current year minus 15 so:

Appleseed (2004)
Blade of the Phantom Master
Elfen Lied
Fafner
Galaxy Angel X
Genshiken
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Girls Bravo
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite
Howl's Moving Castle
Koi Kaze
Kurau: Phantom Memory
Madlax
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Midori Days
Monster
Paranoia Agent
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Portrait of Petite Cossette
Rozen Maiden
Samurai 7
Space Symphony Maetel
Tenjho Tenge
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Aug 2017
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica had a big impact in the magical girl genre, so its a classic. Same with SAO but with isekai.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 1, 2019 8:22 PM

Oct 2018
Made in Abyss most definitely

Some hipster classics (like LOTGH or Tatami Galaxy) elitists would always mention would probably be something like Sarazanmai or Hinamatsuri
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Aug 1, 2019 8:24 PM

Oct 2017
Xstasy said:
The anime that I would consider classics(10 year time period) according to me would be:
-Steins;Gate
-Madoka Magica
-Noragami
-Mirai Nikki
-Psycho Pass
-Jojo
-HxH
-Fate Series
-Guilty Crown
-Death Parade
-K-ON
-Silent Voice
-Your Name
-Your Lie in April

Mirrai Niki...

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...
Sorry bro... Just...

Well maybe classic dogshit is a title too.
Aug 1, 2019 8:26 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
+1 Madoka Magica.
It went experimental in a couple of ways (many of those were good imo) and ended up impacting the magical girl genre in two ways:
1) it started being noticed by audiences outside of what magical girl shows usually aim at (which is younger girls) and
2) it was so popular that it started a trend of what people call "dark/edgy magical girl shows", where newer magical girl shows started having more violence and other mature/adult elements.

There were always some magical girl anime that went a more darker/mature route before Madoka (e.g. Uta Kata, Shamanic Princess, Princess Tutu, etc.) or appealed to audiences other than little girls (i.e. Devil Hunter Yoko, which was for older men), but this kind of magical girl story was not popular until after Madoka Magica did this and was an overwhelming success.

I can definitely see Your Name/Kimi no na wa and JoJo being considered as modern classics.
Your Name's reasoning is self-explanatory if you've checked its' MAL database page. While I didn't see the JoJo anime yet, it's definitely been popular enough that I literally hear of it everywhere and there are endless Jojokes being made online.
Its popularity did lead me to start reading a bit of the manga though. It's all right, but I doubt I'll be able to catch up
Edit: Oh yeah I haven't seen it yet, but I hear lots of praise towards Made in Abyss, I can see that regarded as a modern classic too

I'd also consider Angel Beats as a modern classic.
It has a large following (on MAL, it has more users than Madoka does, in fact) and is pretty well received by a good amount of the anime community. The show's humor and sad parts are pretty iconic (from what it seems on the Internet at least, idk i personally found it pretty memorable myself).
It's one of those anime where it can likely be recommended to (honestly) almost anyone.
Fario-PAug 1, 2019 8:30 PM
Aug 1, 2019 8:35 PM

May 2018
In my opinion AOT and March Comes in Like a Lion are two of the best and most worthy - coincidentally, they're both in my top 5 list LOL.
Aug 1, 2019 9:20 PM

Nov 2011
Again a thread about this classic stuff.. And you mentioned Your Lie in April, no one will mention that in 10 years and once another teen drama about music appear ...
Jim_HeartAug 1, 2019 9:23 PM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 1, 2019 10:14 PM

Aug 2018
Dragon Ball Super's Tournament of Power, but only that arc
Aug 1, 2019 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
After rewatching "Beatless" series this week, for the 3rd time now, that's shocking, even for me.
I couldn't even finish 3 episodes of Evangelion Anime but I've rewatched this one 3 times already (^_^;)

So, "Beatless" it is!
removed-userAug 8, 2019 12:13 PM
Aug 2, 2019 12:00 AM

Sep 2018
Miru Tights,Conception,Eromanga sensei
-Mullerio-Aug 2, 2019 12:07 AM
Aug 2, 2019 12:10 AM
Apr 2017
Steins;Gate and SNK are two that will be recommended for a very long time, I think. They also are both excellent and SNK in particular extremely popular. When including movies then Kimi no na wa is an obvious choice; while I find it good yet overrated there's no denying that it had a huge impact on the medium and is by far one of the most recognisable anime even for people who don't care in the slightest about it.

SAO while obviously not as good as any of the above is probably what helped popularise the Isekai concept and it's quite popular too. Not a classic in the strictest view possible, but it definitely has changed the anime landscape (for better or worse), that can't really be denied.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 2, 2019 12:29 AM
Jul 2014
petran79 said:
Little Witch Academia

It was produced partially via fundraising too so it has more hopes to be remembered fondly

That's something interesting about Studio Trigger that I think is relevant enough in the context of this thread. A lot of their titles, especially those of the last 5 years, have been super memorable by more than one metric, whether or not their viewership parred with contemporaries. These are titles that accomplished treading new ground artistically, tonally, with respect to the project's generation as a whole, what have you.

Most mech anime blur into one another, but if you watched Darling in the Franxx, you might remember how different the pace was from the typical 2-cour; or how quickly Zero Two made an impression. If ecchi is your domain, no show has weaved the tenets of that genre into actual plot motives as craftily as Kill la Kill. To me, that aspect of ingenuity makes them some of my personal classics, just as memorable as Bebop, Champloo, Baccano, Ergo Proxy... Casshern Sins...

To some degree we'll say classics are definitive works for their genre; pieces that did the current thing extraordinarily well. In that regard, I don't know if their shows qualify; but in creating an impact on the landscape as a whole, Trigger seems to be gunning for instant classic status more and more. Other studios, too. Dr. Stone and Vinland are examples. AOT.

It's tough to say what makes more of a classic--the depth of its impression or the span of its gross. In a sea of good anime we are never going to see a white whale again, but we will find many colorful fish.

Any puns were intended.
Aug 2, 2019 12:46 AM

Oct 2008
There are a little over thirty anime series from the 2010s that in my opinion were popular, favorite and memorable enough to earn the status of classics.

Now as for how long it takes for an anime to be acknowledged as a classic, just think of series like, "Jigoku Shoujo, Boogiepop, Kino, Saiyuuki, Dororo, Black Jack and others.
Aug 2, 2019 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
jab4207 said:
petran79 said:
Little Witch Academia

That's something interesting about Studio Trigger that I think is relevant enough in the context of this thread. A lot of their titles, especially those of the last 5 years, have been super memorable by more than one metric, whether or not their viewership parred with contemporaries. These are titles that accomplished treading new ground artistically, tonally, with respect to the project's generation as a whole, what have you.

Most mech anime blur into one another, but if you watched Darling in the Franxx, you might remember how different the pace was from the typical 2-cour; or how quickly Zero Two made an impression. If ecchi is your domain, no show has weaved the tenets of that genre into actual plot motives as craftily as Kill la Kill. To me, that aspect of ingenuity makes them some of my personal classics, just as memorable as Bebop, Champloo, Baccano, Ergo Proxy... Casshern Sins...

To some degree we'll say classics are definitive works for their genre; pieces that did the current thing extraordinarily well. In that regard, I don't know if their shows qualify; but in creating an impact on the landscape as a whole, Trigger seems to be gunning for instant classic status more and more. Other studios, too. Dr. Stone and Vinland are examples. AOT.

It's tough to say what makes more of a classic--the depth of its impression or the span of its gross. In a sea of good anime we are never going to see a white whale again, but we will find many colorful fish.

Any puns were intended.

I clarify that by classic I mean classic worldwide, because many older classics were made for a Japanese audience and remained obscure for decades and some still do,also due to failing to find foreign distributors. Now it is much easier to gather fame.

Studios with international approach in mind like Trigger have better chances for this.
Aug 2, 2019 1:18 AM

Feb 2010
Definitely not Shigatsu. That belongs to the trash pile.

Realistically speaking it's probably Your Name, even tho I'm not a big Shinkai fan. It's only a few years old, but it broke a bunch of records and it's hard to imagine it not playing a prominent role in the history of the medium 10 or 20 years from now.

Other than that there have been the obvious answers given in this thread - stuff like Attack on Titan or Madoka, but I don't think that's even debatable.

Anything else mentioned from the last 10 years, I'm more skeptical about. I mean I'd love to say 3-gatsu, Shinsekai Yori, Made in Abyss or other stuff from my favorites but those are all not that popular, they will only be remembered as cult classics or 'hidden' gems in my opinion. Not as mainstream classics that everybody will have heard about.

Picking JoJo is kinda like cheating because the manga was already a classic when they started to make the anime, and there's so many parts too. I see that more as the anime just reaping the benefits of the manga already having the status of a classic.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 2, 2019 1:26 AM
May 2019
Xstasy said:
-Steins;Gate
-Madoka Magica
-Noragami
-Mirai Nikki
-Psycho Pass
-Jojo
-HxH
-Fate Series
-Guilty Crown
-Death Parade
-K-ON
-Silent Voice
-Your Name
-Your Lie in April

There are couple of others that I forgot to mention:
-Attack on Titan
-My Hero Academia
-Angel Beats!
-Kill La Kill
-Konosuba
-One Punch Man
-Nanatsu no Taizai
-Mob Psycho 100
-SAO
-The Saga of Tanya the Evil
-Fairy Tail
-Monogatari Series
-Overlord
-No Game No Life
Aug 2, 2019 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
1. long lasting reputation
2. influence on the medium
3. popularity(In this reply it depends on the number of people who has rated the Anime from a non-english ACGN site)
4. a majoritary critical approval from the community

Recent Classic(2010-2019):

If the Anime must meet all 4 conditions:
There is only one: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)

If the Anime merely need to meet condition 134:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)
AoT (2013)

If the Anime just need to meet condition 13:
(Let's assume the popularity of Madoka is 10000 as reference value, I only list Anime with popularity over 2000 and its rank within Top 100)

8000 - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (2010)
3600 - Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (2010)
6600 - nichijou (2011)
2700 - chihayahuru (2011)
10000 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)
3600 - Jojo's bizarre advanture (2012)
7500 or 2000 - AoT (2013) (The 1st number refers to S1, S3 part2 is roughly 2000)
3400 - Ping Pong the Animation (2014)
6000 - Shirobako (2014)
2400 - Girls and Panzer Movie (2015)
2200 - 3-gatsu no lion (2016)
3500 - Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (2018)
removed-userAug 2, 2019 1:57 AM
Aug 2, 2019 4:44 AM
Aug 2015
Pullman said:
Definitely not Shigatsu. That belongs to the trash pile.

Realistically speaking it's probably Your Name, even tho I'm not a big Shinkai fan. It's only a few years old, but it broke a bunch of records and it's hard to imagine it not playing a prominent role in the history of the medium 10 or 20 years from now.

Other than that there have been the obvious answers given in this thread - stuff like Attack on Titan or Madoka, but I don't think that's even debatable.

Anything else mentioned from the last 10 years, I'm more skeptical about. I mean I'd love to say 3-gatsu, Shinsekai Yori, Made in Abyss or other stuff from my favorites but those are all not that popular, they will only be remembered as cult classics or 'hidden' gems in my opinion. Not as mainstream classics that everybody will have heard about.

Picking JoJo is kinda like cheating because the manga was already a classic when they started to make the anime, and there's so many parts too. I see that more as the anime just reaping the benefits of the manga already having the status of a classic.

I'm with you for Shinsekai Yori and Sangtasu no lion, these two are in my top 3, but they're more hidden gems than classics, because they're not popular (at all).
Concerning Shigatsu, I also think that the romance and the drama are trash, but only by the musical aspect (and the visual work), it'll become a classic of the music genre I think. And it's really rated high, so be aware that your opinion isn't necessarily representative of the community, for this case in particular

RakuennoTsubasa said:
1. long lasting reputation
2. influence on the medium
3. popularity(In this reply it depends on the number of people who has rated the Anime from a non-english ACGN site)
4. a majoritary critical approval from the community

Recent Classic(2010-2019):

If the Anime must meet all 4 conditions:
There is only one: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)

If the Anime merely need to meet condition 134:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)
AoT (2013)

If the Anime just need to meet condition 13:
(Let's assume the popularity of Madoka is 10000 as reference value, I only list Anime with popularity over 2000 and its rank within Top 100)

6600 - nichijou (2011)
7500 or 2000 - AoT (2013) (The 1st number refers to S1, S3 part2 is roughly 2000)
6000 - Shirobako (2014)

Interesting reply thanks
I love chihayafuru and sangtasu no lion but they're really not popular at all .There is only a small community around them. Same thing with Ping Pong and maybe Shirobako. What I mean by "popularity", it's basically "how many people watch(ed) it".
If I take your values, I think that an anime needs a popularity of at least 5000.
Aug 2, 2019 4:49 AM

Mar 2017
Yakusoku no Neverland probably. There's also Attack on Titan but I think it's already considered as a classic anime.
Aug 2, 2019 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
The more popular the Anime is, the more people rate it. (Actually the truth is I'm too lazy to open page of the Anime to add all "Watched"(watching, watched, hold-on, drop) numbers up.)
I think it reflects how many people watched it from the side.

Update:

(depend on the number of people who has rated the Anime)
6600 - nichijou (2011)
6000 - Shirobako (2014)

(depend on how many people watched the Anime)
6700 - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (2010)
3700 - Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (2010)
7000 - nichijou (2011)
2900 - chihayahuru (2011)
4000 - Jojo's bizarre advanture (2012)
8100 or 2000 - AoT (2013) (The 1st number refers to S1, S3 part2 is roughly 2000)
3500 - Ping Pong the Animation (2014)
6100 - Shirobako (2014)
2300 - Girls and Panzer Movie (2015)
2100 - 3-gatsu no lion (2016)
3600 - Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (2018)
removed-userAug 2, 2019 5:48 AM
Aug 2, 2019 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
Attack on Titan. Even Gigguk said that it can be the anime that defines this generation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

99 by Seven »»
4 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

41 by schizocat »»
12 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

11 by schizocat »»
17 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 42 minutes ago

2 by FanofAction »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.