Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 26, 2019 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
Krayken said:
Who says I need to watch slice of life anime to have an opinion?

It's less an opinion and more the ramblings of yet another misinformed user.

There's a reason you didn't reply to my Kino no Tabi comment. You simply don't know. You have preconceived notions about a genre and pass them off as fact, much like a child.

I could give you a list of SoL with plenty of depth, but you won't watch them. You will simply continue to paint an entire genre with broad strokes and call it a day.
And this one isn't even a genre that is particularly easy to pin down. It encompasses a shit ton of different types of anime. Some might say that it's barely a genre at all...
Jun 26, 2019 9:31 AM

Jun 2019
Wast majority of them are boring, they don't have a story, plot, or character development.
They usually rely on cute factor, fanservice or slapstick comedy and are mostly episodic and quite frankly if I wanted to watch episodic comedy I would watch western cartoon or sitcoms(Better writing and comedy then anime).
I like to watch anime for overarching plot and the feeling of one more episode that you just don't get with slice of life shows.

Most of these shows seem to share the same demographic with My Little Pony and people watch them for same reason to see cute character who are happy and do cute and happy stuff.

They are also saturated same type of shows emerge every season, then they are hyped until the season ends, and then people forgot all bout them and move to hype next sol seasonal fad.
I watched my fare share of them but these days I mostly avoid them.
Jun 26, 2019 11:08 AM

Aug 2007
Maybe. For some people are. I mean, watching others life in school, after school, job, house, etc, can be boring. I mean, In reality it can be very boring watching the every day life of my classmates.

Returning to anime, some slice of life anime can be interesting. As always, there are action animes that are also boring, romance, yuri, etc.
Jun 26, 2019 11:48 AM

Aug 2018
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
It's less an opinion and more the ramblings of yet another misinformed user.

There's a reason you didn't reply to my Kino no Tabi comment. You simply don't know. You have preconceived notions about a genre and pass them off as fact, much like a child.

I could give you a list of SoL with plenty of depth, but you won't watch them. You will simply continue to paint an entire genre with broad strokes and call it a day.
And this one isn't even a genre that is particularly easy to pin down. It encompasses a shit ton of different types of anime. Some might say that it's barely a genre at all...
The reason I pass everything off as a fact is because I am a professional retard. You are 100% right I don't know anything about slice of life but who says I have to? You?

What is slice of life anime about? That's easy, SLICE OF LIFE. If its not then what the fuck is it? The fact that it is slice of life, and the fact that I don't want to watch qualifies me on having an opinion whether you like it or not. You don't have to experience anything to have an opinion, such as being not being part of a group. For example, you don't have to join chess club or even remotely know how to play but you can still have an opinion on it. If you played chess sure it would help your opinion since you have experienced it.

Basically what it boils down to is that a retard like me, like a retard like you, still has an opinion about Slice of Life, but I have a shit opinion, unlike you, because I don't watch it. I still have one whether you like it or not <3.
alshu said:

Then maybe you are misinformed or prejudice against sol?
Watch some and you will have real arguments against it and more fuel for your hatred.

Oh but I do have real argument read above!
warning this idiot is a professional retard
Jun 26, 2019 1:47 PM

Mar 2019
I don't think that slice of life anime are boring, most likely because even in a show about "Nothing" they are still able to do more in a single episode than I do in a month. So it's enjoyable to see what could be accomplished, when some viewers themselves aren't the accomplishing type.

That and it has cute girls, so there's that.
Jun 26, 2019 3:01 PM

May 2018
Krayken said:

Oh but I do have real argument read above!

- But the people that came out with the therm slice of life are retarded too...it's actually more of a daily life not regular mechanical slices of it: what is actually interesting about...not some sort of anime reality show simulator.
- One can have very good idea what chess is without being an active player but the sol type of narrative should be experienced personally (maybe you will hate it even more).
alshuJun 27, 2019 3:18 AM
Jun 26, 2019 3:06 PM

Oct 2010
YattaX said:
They are also saturated same type of shows emerge every season, then they are hyped until the season ends, and then people forgot all bout them and move to hype next sol seasonal fad.
I watched my fare share of them but these days I mostly avoid them.

I'm going to take issue with that if you don't mind.

Not only it is prejudiced, presumptive and condescending towards fans of these shows, it is plain false. Don't ever think that people just forget about the shows they like just because you can't see their appeal yourself, particularly not in a field of the industry that never makes a lot of noise in the overall anime fandom for starters because by its nature it's quiet, low-key and not fit for big controversies. It's one of the lowest, and sadly one of the most common, forms of criticism towards stuff YOU personally are not attached to. It's not nice to be strawmanned so hard even if it's to make a vacuous point about how forgettable stuff you don't even care to experience is.
Jun 26, 2019 6:34 PM

Oct 2012
FMmatron said:
Even within the frame of what I consider a slice of life anime, there will be of course deviations and I'm not capable of coming up with a defintion that would cover every single aspect, but thankfully we're able to evaluate the shows in question.
That was an interesting read -- the whole thing -- but I'm going to respond to the part I quoted. To define slice of life, it may be useful to consider what is not slice of life. More specifically, what is a traditional drama narrative. A traditional plot, first described by Aristotle, and later used famously by Shakespeare, has a 5 act structure. They can be grouped into 3 categories: Protasis (setup), Epitasis (conflict), Catastrophe (resolution). That is that despite introducing the daily lives of the protagonists in a realistic manner (or not), the drama will eventually introduce a clearly defined antagonist and a main conflict. The antagonist may be a person, a condition (e.g. the conflict between the two families in Romeo & Juliet), or groups of people (e.g. the people perpetuating the condition). Therefore, the drama consists of the protagonist overcoming a specific challenge. You could say, at the end of a drama, maybe that you'd like to see more, but you understand why the show ended where it ended.

The slice of life, then, might follow a protagonist, but lacks any main antagonist or archplot (main conflict), kind of how real life is, you might have some issue one day, but after a while you're over it. The difference between this and a drama lies in the framing structure. The narrative of a drama might tie every event to that issue, whereas a slice of life treats it as no more important than any other event. Both can have character developments and subplots, but one is structured like a mountain.

By that definition, I think, in my opinion, it's clear that Welcome to the NHK has rather straightforward, uncontroversial arcs (e.g. the suicide group) that are clearly resolved by the end. Hanasaku Iroha, too, starts with an immature girl that doesn't really know what she wants, and ends with, well you know... It's a traditional coming of age story.

Sangatsu no Lion is a bit more ambiguous: There are several ups and downs. Kiriyama is moody, gets into an emotional block, then figures it out. In that sense, it may be dramatic. But I think over the course of 44 episode, there are so many of these mini-arcs and it never shows Kiriyama settling in any kind of stable situation. His relationships with his peers improve, but over gradual steps rather than any single defining event. He doesn't gain new friends or definitively resolve any internal struggle. Instead, new inner doubts arise when old ones are resolved. In this sense, one might interpret that all these stories revolve around some kind of theme, whether depression or solitude, and that it's a kind of vehicle to drive a meta narrative. Or, it could just be the ups and downs of a person with no overarching narrative. It could be slice of life or not.

Cowboy Bebop is also interesting. It is structurally similar to just another shounen anime, except it doesn't settle in any clear resolution. There is one arc near the end that could be considered the main arc, a back story that sort of explains Spike's character, and then ends it rather ambiguously. However, I think the choice of that as the last arc in the show is deliberate. If the producers wanted to add more material, it wouldn't fit anywhere after the finale. That's why even the movie is set before the ending of the show.

Yuujinchou Natsume, Usagi Drop, Mushishi, etc., all end up with the characters relatively similar to who they were before. If there's any plot-wise development, say in Usagi Drop, there's no single realization that could be the crux of what the show communicates. Rather, the show proceeds incrementally. These are what I'd call slice of life.

Another show, AnoHana, also shows the characters about in their daily lives for much of it, but it clearly revolves around a certain event as setup for the conflict of the characters overcoming a tragedy. The ending is definitive -- no one could question why the producers ended it there. Kids on the Slope (despite what I said before in this thread) begins like a slice of life and ends with the characters moving on in their lives. But there's a narrative focus culminating in the development of certain relationships. It is also a coming of age story.

I think the idea that any character piece that's realistic must be slice of life stands on no ground. By that logic, Aku no Hana, which had a clear antagonist, would be a slice of life. Rec, which is clearly centered around establishing a single relationship, would be a slice of life. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, which is clearly centered around comedic punchlines, would be slice of life. Shows like Tari Tari, centered around students overcoming some important high school event, whether it's sports, band, or the cultural fair, or the angst of graduation, would all be slice of life. They are not: They are coming of age dramas of the most traditional kind.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 26, 2019 9:38 PM

Dec 2016
Boring is not a quality exclusive of the sol genre. You can find plenty of boring action, adventure, sci-fi, mecha and so on shows out there.

In general, in my own experience I've found that the boring sol shows are those where there isn't a major conflict that grabs the audience attention and is just "characters doing stuff" without any clear direction. Lucky Star was a perfect example. That show was stressful.
Jun 26, 2019 9:58 PM
Feb 2016
When you wanna give yourself a nice relaxing feeling then watch some slice of life anime. I personally enjoy watching it when I just wanna take a breather from life and it helps too. That's how it is from me.
Jun 27, 2019 3:39 AM
Mar 2019
Nah. It has nothing to do with genre, all it has to do with is the quality and how enjoyable it is for the viewer. I don't think there is a boring gnre, it depends on the show itself. There are great slice of life I really enjoyed such as Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou or Ano Hana and bad ones like Oreimo (if you actually like it you don't have a sister).
Jun 27, 2019 3:45 AM
Apr 2016
the problem is only THE TASTE OF THE PEOPLE IS DIFFERENT
Jun 27, 2019 3:52 AM

Jul 2013
Most people don't understand that most shows tend to encompass some slice of life. If anything getting to see people be human and take a break in a big narrative can actually work well.

A show many would not call slice of life would be Made in Abyss, yet it has moments of slice of life in it. The cooking and just taking a break from the overall narrative to give the characters an actual personality. Show them doing everyday tasks. It humanizes them in my opinion.

I think people ignore this major aspect of slice of life. They put it into a bubble and only define it as a genre that decides on things. Cute girls doing cute things. Or cute boys doing cute things. Or basically, slice of nothing shows. Slice of life isn't just a simple term to be put into a box. The same way action isn't just one thing. It can just be cool flashy fights or it can really be intertwined in the narrative to explore complicated themes.

I would also like to mention something like Haibane Renmei which has a clear narrative and development and super natural elements is also a slice of life. People saying that slice of life can't contain a clear narrative really don't understand slice of life and how it is used. I mean Wolf Children is a slice of life but that has clear narratives too. And characters that change a fudge ton.

tldr I love rambling and people need to stop putting slice of life into a tiny little box. It is much broader than that. Same reason any genre shouldn't be put into a box.
Calal-ChanJun 27, 2019 3:56 AM
Jun 27, 2019 4:00 AM

Jul 2014
I am probably the only one in this thread that will say that this question applies to me in that SoL genre really does make me fall asleep. So Yes, to me the genre is boring.

Fite me.
Jun 27, 2019 4:06 AM

Jul 2013
OppaiSugoi said:
I am probably the only one in this thread that will say that this question applies to me in that SoL genre really does make me fall asleep. So Yes, to me the genre is boring.

Fite me.

The fact that you have quite a few slice of life's rated quite high means you clearly don't hate it or find some of it boring. Sakurasou, A Silent Voice, Saki, and Little Busters all want to have a word with you ;)
Jun 27, 2019 4:45 AM

Jul 2013
If it's based on a light novel, then the short answer is, yes! it is and light novels are overrated as f**k.
Jun 27, 2019 5:00 AM

Jul 2010
For me they are very boring although I do enjoy some slice of life episodes in action anime for example.
Another reason why I don't like slice of anime is because I hate the moe stereotype and in most slice of life the females act like mindless fools, which can't seem to do anything.
This said, like in every genre there are of course some which I enjoyed (yet again SOL seems to be more of sub-genre than the main one), but overall not my cup of tea.
Griff-ithJun 27, 2019 5:04 AM

Jun 27, 2019 5:42 AM

Jul 2014
Calal-Chan said:
OppaiSugoi said:

Fite me.

The fact that you have quite a few slice of life's rated quite high means you clearly don't hate it or find some of it boring. Sakurasou, A Silent Voice, Saki, and Little Busters all want to have a word with you ;)

Granted those did have a plot so I did enjoy those, but all others on my list are rated low.
Jun 27, 2019 6:01 AM
May 2018
Not necessarily. For me, I like Slice of Life. Though before, I didn't really like it and I even avoided it. Some Slice of Life are really boring. Though, I warmed up to it a bit. Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless is about Tanaka-kun being listless and sleeping all the time. Nothing happens besides Tanaka-kun sleeping, but now I like it. Though for Slice of Life since it's everyday boring life, if the plot isn't complex, other things have to be. They have to have good voice actors, good animations, and have to add some twist without being too much which is a bit hard seeing Slice of Life is supposed to be regular. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto is also a Slice of Life. The reason it's a Slice of Life despite being perfect is that Sakamoto always has unique (to say the least) things happening in his life. The Slice of Life genre can be eventful like HYHIS. Sakamoto just ends up doing things that are unavoidable (kind of). He just goes to school, comes home, goes to work, and go home and repeat. So in conclusion, Slice of Life has to be experimented with to be able to say if you ACTUALLY dislike the genre.
Jun 27, 2019 6:41 AM

Oct 2010
Griff-ith said:
For me they are very boring although I do enjoy some slice of life episodes in action anime for example.
Another reason why I don't like slice of anime is because I hate the moe stereotype and in most slice of life the females act like mindless fools, which can't seem to do anything.

This is completely false, particularly in procedural slice of life which is very common for instance in iyashikei.
Jun 27, 2019 6:45 AM

Jun 2019
I like slice of life anime it is my favorite genre.
Jun 27, 2019 7:30 AM

Jul 2016
It depends on your taste.

Yep, depend on your taste.
Case closed.

Jun 27, 2019 10:27 AM

Nov 2016
katsucats said:
FMmatron said:
Even within the frame of what I consider a slice of life anime, there will be of course deviations and I'm not capable of coming up with a defintion that would cover every single aspect, but thankfully we're able to evaluate the shows in question.
That was an interesting read -- the whole thing -- but I'm going to respond to the part I quoted. To define slice of life, it may be useful to consider what is not slice of life. More specifically, what is a traditional drama narrative. A traditional plot, first described by Aristotle, and later used famously by Shakespeare, has a 5 act structure. They can be grouped into 3 categories: Protasis (setup), Epitasis (conflict), Catastrophe (resolution). That is that despite introducing the daily lives of the protagonists in a realistic manner (or not), the drama will eventually introduce a clearly defined antagonist and a main conflict. The antagonist may be a person, a condition (e.g. the conflict between the two families in Romeo & Juliet), or groups of people (e.g. the people perpetuating the condition). Therefore, the drama consists of the protagonist overcoming a specific challenge. You could say, at the end of a drama, maybe that you'd like to see more, but you understand why the show ended where it ended.

The slice of life, then, might follow a protagonist, but lacks any main antagonist or archplot (main conflict), kind of how real life is, you might have some issue one day, but after a while you're over it. The difference between this and a drama lies in the framing structure. The narrative of a drama might tie every event to that issue, whereas a slice of life treats it as no more important than any other event. Both can have character developments and subplots, but one is structured like a mountain.

By that definition, I think, in my opinion, it's clear that Welcome to the NHK has rather straightforward, uncontroversial arcs (e.g. the suicide group) that are clearly resolved by the end. Hanasaku Iroha, too, starts with an immature girl that doesn't really know what she wants, and ends with, well you know... It's a traditional coming of age story.

Sangatsu no Lion is a bit more ambiguous: There are several ups and downs. Kiriyama is moody, gets into an emotional block, then figures it out. In that sense, it may be dramatic. But I think over the course of 44 episode, there are so many of these mini-arcs and it never shows Kiriyama settling in any kind of stable situation. His relationships with his peers improve, but over gradual steps rather than any single defining event. He doesn't gain new friends or definitively resolve any internal struggle. Instead, new inner doubts arise when old ones are resolved. In this sense, one might interpret that all these stories revolve around some kind of theme, whether depression or solitude, and that it's a kind of vehicle to drive a meta narrative. Or, it could just be the ups and downs of a person with no overarching narrative. It could be slice of life or not.

Cowboy Bebop is also interesting. It is structurally similar to just another shounen anime, except it doesn't settle in any clear resolution. There is one arc near the end that could be considered the main arc, a back story that sort of explains Spike's character, and then ends it rather ambiguously. However, I think the choice of that as the last arc in the show is deliberate. If the producers wanted to add more material, it wouldn't fit anywhere after the finale. That's why even the movie is set before the ending of the show.

Yuujinchou Natsume, Usagi Drop, Mushishi, etc., all end up with the characters relatively similar to who they were before. If there's any plot-wise development, say in Usagi Drop, there's no single realization that could be the crux of what the show communicates. Rather, the show proceeds incrementally. These are what I'd call slice of life.

Another show, AnoHana, also shows the characters about in their daily lives for much of it, but it clearly revolves around a certain event as setup for the conflict of the characters overcoming a tragedy. The ending is definitive -- no one could question why the producers ended it there. Kids on the Slope (despite what I said before in this thread) begins like a slice of life and ends with the characters moving on in their lives. But there's a narrative focus culminating in the development of certain relationships. It is also a coming of age story.

I think the idea that any character piece that's realistic must be slice of life stands on no ground. By that logic, Aku no Hana, which had a clear antagonist, would be a slice of life. Rec, which is clearly centered around establishing a single relationship, would be a slice of life. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, which is clearly centered around comedic punchlines, would be slice of life. Shows like Tari Tari, centered around students overcoming some important high school event, whether it's sports, band, or the cultural fair, or the angst of graduation, would all be slice of life. They are not: They are coming of age dramas of the most traditional kind.

Thank you for your reply, it was pretty insightful. In particular Aristotles analysis and how he defined a dramatic narrative. It might have been an impetus for me to read more into the subject in order to have a clearer opinion on the matter.

The use of it as base for for your drama definition and how you applied it to discern what is not slice of life was also interesting as well as useful. It will surely come in handy.

It also helped me to sort-out some misconstruction regarding Hanasaku Iroha. Despite the fact that silly ol me knows well about the coming of age nature, heck I even praised it for that in the episode discussion. Yet the thing is, although, it's charcteristics of the drama narrative were present and of importance, I still perceived it as if both narrative forms were working concurrently. Ohanas initial conflict, the ones she encountered during her job at Kissui and her development came naturally with the process of growing up, encountering people, facing new challenges and gaining experience, instead of coming off as if the story tried hard to adress one specific theme. The themes of family and growing up were still existent, if that makes any sense. So yeah, for me it's kinda hard to make the call here. By facts it's obvious, it's drama/coming of age since Ohana had to overcome some tasks or events, even tho they weren't necessarily always of personal concern(aside from the stuff with the family and Kou) nor predominant enough in contrast to the slice of life. While watching, it felt like the latter was more than just supplementary.

Absolutely agree with the rest, I also don't think that the premise, realism = slice of life stands any chance, there are way too many examples that prove it isn't the case.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 27, 2019 10:29 AM
Feb 2014
You're either young and naive or just simply unsettled. Otherwise you'd find them the most interesting.
Jun 27, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2016

the only boring thing here is that pretentious sleepowder bobsamurai.
:v
Jun 28, 2019 1:31 PM

Jul 2010
jal90 said:
Griff-ith said:

This is completely false, particularly in procedural slice of life which is very common for instance in iyashikei.

I said "most" not "every" mate, idk you can't say it's false.

Jun 28, 2019 1:39 PM

May 2013
>"Are SLICE OF LIFE anime boring?"

yuh
Jun 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Oct 2010
Griff-ith said:
jal90 said:

I said "most" not "every" mate, idk you can't say it's false.

Your statement does not even qualify for "most" (characters acting like mindless fools is not a trait of moe, let alone of slice of life. It is a personality, usually comedic trait and it's specific characters who have these tropes across many different types of comedies). And I think I have a better chance at saying that it's false than you, no offense here of course, it's just that I watch slice of life regularly since it's the type of anime I tend to gravitate towards.
jal90Jun 28, 2019 2:50 PM
Jun 28, 2019 2:52 PM

Oct 2012
FMmatron said:
It also helped me to sort-out some misconstruction regarding Hanasaku Iroha. Despite the fact that silly ol me knows well about the coming of age nature, heck I even praised it for that in the episode discussion. Yet the thing is, although, it's charcteristics of the drama narrative were present and of importance, I still perceived it as if both narrative forms were working concurrently. Ohanas initial conflict, the ones she encountered during her job at Kissui and her development came naturally with the process of growing up, encountering people, facing new challenges and gaining experience, instead of coming off as if the story tried hard to adress one specific theme. The themes of family and growing up were still existent, if that makes any sense. So yeah, for me it's kinda hard to make the call here. By facts it's obvious, it's drama/coming of age since Ohana had to overcome some tasks or events, even tho they weren't necessarily always of personal concern(aside from the stuff with the family and Kou) nor predominant enough in contrast to the slice of life. While watching, it felt like the latter was more than just supplementary.

Absolutely agree with the rest, I also don't think that the premise, realism = slice of life stands any chance, there are way too many examples that prove it isn't the case.
There can be definitely slice of life elements within a traditional archplot. Sometimes it can be ambiguous depending on a person's perspective, how effective the drama is to that person, etc.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 28, 2019 7:25 PM

Jan 2018
For me, it just depends on mood.

Maybe I watched action for a while and I need a change of pace.

That's where genres like slice of life or comedy come into play.
ใˆใˆใ€็งใฏใใ“ใซใ„ใฆใใ‚Œใ‚’ใ‚„ใฃใŸ

Jun 28, 2019 7:26 PM
Jan 2015
Not if the characters and storyline are enjoyable.
My Queens

Jun 28, 2019 11:42 PM

Oct 2018
I think it depends on the writing and the characters in that show more heavily then it does in fighting anime titles. A lot of people just need something they can be amazed by and do not need some sort of teaching or revelation.
ใ€๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ผโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ตโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ซโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฑโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ฉโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹ใ€‘

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Sep 10, 2020 2:07 PM
May 2017
Some are good, some are plain weird, and some are bad. K-On, Yuru Camp, Seitokai Yakuindomo (aka Sex Jokes: the anime) Lucky Star (I didn't really like the animation), are all masterpieces. Then you have shows like Minami-Ke, which started off good, but then went downhill, B Gata H Kei also started off funny, but I stopped watching it when it turned into hentai. Watamote is also good overall, but in the end I found it to be one big letdown. It wasn't boring, it just got depressing. But if you're looking to relax and unwind after a long, boring day, Slice of Life anime are great. Not every anime has to involve battles which last for 5+ episodes (I'm looking at you, Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragonball Z). I can see why people hate on it though.
pianist88Sep 10, 2020 4:13 PM
Sep 10, 2020 2:25 PM

Jul 2020
pianist88 said:
Some are good, some are plain weird, and some are bad. K-On, Yuru Camp, Seitokai Yakuindomo (aka Sex Jokes: the anime) are both masterpieces. Then you have shows like Minami-Ke, which started off good, but then went downhill, B Gata H Kei also started off funny, but I stopped watching it when it turned into hentai. Watamote is also good overall, but personally I found it to be one big letdown. It wasn't boring, it just got depressing. But if you're looking to relax and unwind after a long, boring day, Slice of Life anime are great. Not every anime has to involve battles which last for 5+ episodes, or FMA. I can see why people hate on it though.
Agreed for example koboyashi dragon maid is very calm fun and entertaining while girls last tour is very " in depth " entertaining. Both you could watch after a boring day and what some people would say, " Fill the void "

Sep 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Jun 2019
for me I find some to be quite interresting especialy if the anime has a nice plot
and I usually watch sol anime as a tool to run from the generic animes that I usually watch
just keep it simple
Sep 10, 2020 2:34 PM
็ฉ‚ไนƒๆžœใฏ็ฅž

Oct 2015
Nope, it all depends on the structure.

You can make any daily life story interesting if you have the right structure. That's where good storytelling lies. You can make a story about how you had a fight at the playground interesting long as you don't keep the blanks empty, have buildup and use elements that can make it pulling without too much dramatization.

To say there is no development or progression is flat out fucking wrong lmfao that would be to say that everyday life has no development or progression. According to MAL, Love Live is a Slice of Life (I never saw it as one tho), and the character progression arcs never stop. Just because it's done differently or obvious at shit like anime such as HxH which writes out everything for you doesn't mean it's not there.
ChartTopper60Sep 10, 2020 2:41 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2020 2:49 PM

Aug 2020
They are about nothing with horrible characters doing cringe stuff. I prefer slice of life in regular tv shows like Fresh Prince etc.
You put your dick in a pie!
Sep 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Jun 2020
SoL is pretty hit or miss for me but if I can either relate to some aspects or connect with some serious issues portrayed even though I haven't faced such problems in my life, then I'll probably enjoy the show. I usually like SoL that make me feel kinda sad I guess because invoking that emotion in me is a feat only a few anime have achieved.
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 10, 2020 3:16 PM
Feb 2020
I won't personally watch it but as with most genres I won't give people shit for enjoying it.
The world is mine
Sep 10, 2020 3:23 PM

Aug 2018
Slice of life genre really reminds me of stand-up comedy.. People who go to stand-up comedy concert are expecting plot and lore?.. Sometimes it happens, but that's not the focus of genre, really..
Sep 10, 2020 3:25 PM

Mar 2020
I personally love Slice of Life anime. I get to turn my brain off and watch anime characters I love doing mundane things. I can also find myself relating to characters in Slice of Life animes (more specifically Slice of Life anime that include the josei or seinen genre) because there isn't some grand or complex plot and the characters face things that an everyday person would go through. It's also a good change in mood from me watching an episode Monster then watching an episode of Honey and Clover or Usagi Drop.

How can they see the love in our eyes
And still, they don't believe us?
And after all this time
They don't want to believe us

Sep 10, 2020 3:41 PM

Jun 2020
I don't find it boring since I avoiding action genre, In fact I always watch slice of life series at first being an otaku. This genre really great for relaxing. I mean, you won't hardly thinking about the plot. But it can be quiet depressing in some story which out of "Relaxing" concept. Some maybe boring but the most of seiries I watched are not.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ใƒผ ใ‚ญใƒŽใฎๆ—… ใƒผ
Sep 10, 2020 3:50 PM

Apr 2020
My consideration is: if you can watch a slice of life in one day without getting bored, it's good.

I love Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, but find Gabriel Dropout kinda repetitive after some point.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 10, 2020 5:46 PM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
I still heavily disagree with you regarding the appeal of Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi. To claim they're appealing due to their slife of life nature and not because they present interesting themes or emotional themes is a stretch.
Sorry I'm really late to this, but I wanna add a few words.

Slice of Life is a way of storytelling more than anything else. Attention to detail of daily life of the (usually) ensemble cast, semi-episodic structure with overlaid "at large" story line, laid-back pacing are all hallmarks of the style. No anime tag is more relevant than another, priorities among tags are merely subjective. For example I watch sports anime despite that tag because i don't like the genre. But I enjoy them when they double as good Slice of Life, which is a favorite genre of mine. Look no further than Cross Game, Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo for examples.

There are the "pure" SoLs which strip a classic plot and max out the SoL aspect, e.g. Non Non Byori, Aria, or Yokohama Shopping Trip. But of course a Sci-Fi like Planetes, a romantic melodrama like Nana, shounen like Mob Psycho 100 II, sports anime like Ashita no Joe, comedy like Kobayashi's Maid Dragon and so on and so forth all share something: SoL narrative style and episodes. In varying degrees, but always present.

Sep 10, 2020 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
It always depends on the anime and on the person in front of the screen and their reasonings.

For example I easily lose my motivation for sol anime like K-On, even tho I kinda like it and it's surprisingly not even that shallow, but my motivation always fades as fast as it came.
When there is some kind of drama that hooks me up more, it can hold my interest easier than a CGDCT that is in first place as a genre a CGDCT.
But yes, sols like K-on can bore me fast. I still get the second season on-hold. They can be relaxing, but I don't prefer them at all, and I also don't like comedy sols like Nichijou or Lucky Star etc.

But on the other hand, I really like sols that are drama- or / and romance-heavy and especially I love sols in a fantasy setting or in another kind of creative and interesting setting like Girls' Last Tour.
My favorite of this "fantasy sol" kind, and one of my favorite anime in general, is Natsume Yuujinchou. I can always come back to this heartwarming anime.

In a high or urban fantasy, or even historical or scifi setting, it has a very specific appeal when the setting is fully used and people actually LIVE in it, when the setting isn't only there to look beautiful and magical.
It doesn't have to be a fully flashed out sol anime, but I really like more episodic anime with sol episodes and scenes inbetween. I'm always kind of disappointed when you got a great setting, but you see people living their daily lives in it for very short scenes only.

The best examples to me, how you combine a high fantasy setting with sol, are Somali and the Forest's Spirit, Erin and Spice and Wolf so far.
Somali and the Forest's Spirit was the first anime I watched from 2020 and therefore from this decade, and instant my first 10 this year and so far I didn't got a second one. I really, really liked it.

pianist88 said:
Some are good, some are plain weird, and some are bad. K-On, Yuru Camp, Seitokai Yakuindomo (aka Sex Jokes: the anime) Lucky Star (I didn't really like the animation), are all masterpieces. Then you have shows like Minami-Ke, which started off good, but then went downhill, B Gata H Kei also started off funny, but I stopped watching it when it turned into hentai. Watamote is also good overall, but in the end I found it to be one big letdown. It wasn't boring, it just got depressing. But if you're looking to relax and unwind after a long, boring day, Slice of Life anime are great. Not every anime has to involve battles which last for 5+ episodes (I'm looking at you, Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragonball Z). I can see why people hate on it though.

Did ... did I miss something? xD
I mean it has been a while.
removed-userSep 10, 2020 5:58 PM
Sep 10, 2020 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
no, enjoying the complexity of characters that reflect our lives as we experience it is indeed comforting
Sep 10, 2020 10:47 PM

Nov 2016
inim said:
FMmatron said:
I still heavily disagree with you regarding the appeal of Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi. To claim they're appealing due to their slife of life nature and not because they present interesting themes or emotional themes is a stretch.
Sorry I'm really late to this, but I wanna add a few words.

Slice of Life is a way of storytelling more than anything else. Attention to detail of daily life of the (usually) ensemble cast, semi-episodic structure with overlaid "at large" story line, laid-back pacing are all hallmarks of the style. No anime tag is more relevant than another, priorities among tags are merely subjective. For example I watch sports anime despite that tag because i don't like the genre. But I enjoy them when they double as good Slice of Life, which is a favorite genre of mine. Look no further than Cross Game, Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo for examples.

There are the "pure" SoLs which strip a classic plot and max out the SoL aspect, e.g. Non Non Byori, Aria, or Yokohama Shopping Trip. But of course a Sci-Fi like Planetes, a romantic melodrama like Nana, shounen like Mob Psycho 100 II, sports anime like Ashita no Joe, comedy like Kobayashi's Maid Dragon and so on and so forth all share something: SoL narrative style and episodes. In varying degrees, but always present.

I think I went into this argument because I wanted to make the point that not all series tagged slice of life are the same and that there are these which have it as selling point.

Ippo has slice of life elements, but I still wouldn't recommend it someone specifically looking for a slice of life, the main appeal is clearly a different one.

I hope you also read the other posts, but this part should suffice

"Slice of life elements and slice of life narrative are two different things. A show can be tagged slice of life, but that doesn't say much. You can't compare Sakurasou which is a rom-com, with drama, themes about self growth or pursuing your goals with Non Non Biyori or Barakamon which embrace the plain daily life, or in other words, with a slice of life in it's purest form. Imo only those "pure" shows should be labeled specifically as slice of life."

So I agree with that it can be a form of narrative, but some series are putting emphasis on it, others not.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 10, 2020 10:52 PM

Oct 2019
In my opinion, no. I find SoL enjoyable and relaxing. It can get boring sometimes, but I enjoy SoL most of the time.
Sep 10, 2020 11:04 PM

Oct 2013
For me and my easily distracted short ass attention span, yes they can be very boring. I guess I can see why others may find them enjoyable though. They just aren't for me .
Sep 10, 2020 11:44 PM

Jul 2020
You've got to be kidding saying that its boring.In my case I watch slice of life just to be relaxed and also to take break if I have watched a lot of action animes.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Who let women into the Boys' Love club? Every single Boys' Love anime to this date is written by women.

lostsymphonies - 5 hours ago

14 by oappo »»
1 minute ago

» Is it just me or is the Shoujo anime category pathetically small?

AngelicSuccubus - 14 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

40 by jhzs0029 »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Jun 17

47 by ColourWheel »»
3 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Jun 17

83 by pk8list »»
11 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.