Forum Settings
Forums

What makes you hate a character? (give character examples)

New
Aug 28, 2018 11:57 AM

Jul 2016
I want to see how deep this can go or if it's the usual ones.

You can use spoiler tags because I don't want any character skipped.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 28, 2018 12:17 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
-If they kill off a character I like (ali al-asshole from gundam 00)
-If they are useless and/or irrelevant to the plot (shirley from code geass)
-If they are loli or shota brats (Q-vier from kakumeiki valvrave, that loli from kakegurui)
-If they are similar to Elizabeth from Nanatsu no Taizai
-If I think they're creepy (hisoka from HxH 2011)
-If they are overly aggressive (bakugou from boku no hero academia, haruhi suzumiya) - I don't hate all characters like this
-If they literally have no personality (inaho from aldnoah.zero)
-if they resemble sinbad in the final arc of magi
LeonhartAugustNov 16, 2019 4:12 PM
Aug 28, 2018 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Edgelord little bitches like Izaya or Ledouche. Prime examples. Only good edgelords allowed, all bad examples of edgelords will be immediately thrown into the shitter.
Aug 28, 2018 12:22 PM

Apr 2016
nicethings said:
Edgelord little bitches like Izaya or Ledouche. Prime examples. Only good edgelords allowed, all bad examples of edgelords will be immediately thrown into the shitter.

Then how is that you like Akechi ?

His edge is cutting trees in amazon forest.
Aug 28, 2018 12:22 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I don't really have characters that I hate. You could say I hated the ones in shows that I also hated. But usually it turns out that they were just cardboards/tropes that were acting in annoying way for plot purposes. So were they trash or was it the plot? I always blame the latter.

Aug 28, 2018 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
nicethings said:

Then how is that you like Akechi ?

His edge is cutting trees in amazon forest.

No, Akechi is the GOOD kind of edgy. Uglyzaya doesn't even have a Tragic Backstory or anything, and he's not funny, handsome, or charming. Akechi is a fucking charming cinnamon roll who did nothing wrong. Neither of those two edgelords can compare to my sweet pancake angel
Aug 28, 2018 12:25 PM
Mar 2018
If they treat their underlings like shit like Emperor Pilaf does from Dragonball

If they kill one of my favorite characters(this has not happened yet)

If they enjoy being annoying, like Naruto
what?
Aug 28, 2018 12:31 PM

May 2009
I just made a post about something very similar to this.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1737171&show=0#post8

The most salient ones are these:

* Characters who are sadistic/manipulative toward others, unless they are villains, in which case I hate them anyway but they are certainly effective at their role. More generally, characters who are assholes, unless they are villains or unless there's something else (e.g. tragic backstory) that at least lets the audience see them sympathetically.

* Characters whose antics would be intolerable in real life, but are excused as "comic relief" -- ESPECIALLY if the rest of the story isn't particularly comedic.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 28, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2018
I hate allmighty characters that don't give a shit about others or are obvious to them/their power.
Like Zeno from Dragon Balk super or Haruhi.
Also I don't mind tsunderes in general but I hate it when characters behave like irational idiots like Taiga.
Aug 28, 2018 12:34 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
When somebody badass turns useless after "the power of love" kicks in.
- Asuna
- 02 and 016 (DitF)

Rapists and extreme perverts
- Any anime villain
- Mineta
- Ranta (Grimgar)

Yanderes
- Yuno
- Kurumi (Date a Live)

Bullies
- most of the YuruYuri cast aside from Akari
- Akira (Wixoss series)

Just to name a few.
Aug 28, 2018 12:38 PM

Mar 2017
I think the thing that makes me hate a character most is when the narrative acts like they're supposed to be likeable or amusing when they're obviously a sociopath or a sexual predator... or both.

Haruhi Suzumiya is the clearest example I can think of, but Tomoki Sakurai from Heaven's Lost Property is a strong example as well. Takamura from Hajime no Ippo is a borderline example, but he at least faces some consequences for his actions.

I also tend to hate characters who are blatantly written in for the sake of unnecessary fetishism, like Baise in Hunter x Hunter.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Aug 28, 2018 12:40 PM

Jul 2016
There are generally 3 types of characters I loathe:

1) If the character is an idiot and never does anything remotely sensible or intelligent but the anime always makes them the guy who's right and its everyone else who's wrong. They tend to be obnoxiously loud and self-righteous in nature.

Tatewaki Shoutarou from Beautiful Bones-Sakurako's Investigation

Ashiya Hanae from Fukigen na Mononokaen

Yaegashi Taichi from Kokoro Connect

2) If the character messes literally everything up and is incomprehensible. Usually from a result of poor writing.

Oh, My Shoe! from Guilty Crown.

Itou Makoto from School Days

3) Umaru. Just Umaru in a special jail cell on her own lest she infects the other inmates.
Aug 28, 2018 12:42 PM

Feb 2016
just ctrl + f shinji to see if i needed to scold someone

all fine all fine
Aug 28, 2018 12:48 PM

Nov 2017
Characters who's like this S.O.B
His attitude gets on my nerve!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Aug 28, 2018 12:52 PM

Jul 2017
if he/she's obnoxious.
-would often be crybabys, basic meta modern anime MC that's just a normal guy but he's a nice guy so you must like him also he's a little BITCH. ex:subaru from re: zero, kiseiju's MC.

-violent tsundere for no reason. that would be tsundere that are, well super violent even though MC is being a nice guy or didn't do anything wrong.
ex: fuuka from fuuka. or asuka.

-or even DUMB FUCKING ANOYING character that are DUMB because the anime is SHIT:
ALL THE FUCKING CHARACTER FROM DRAGON BALL SUPER

-I also hate the "victim" that would be, when there's a bully for example that's bullying MC or smth, but MC is just playing along, not defending himself. GOSH I HATE THAT. I would often hate the bully tbh, but the one being victimized and not doing anything or defending himself even more.

-lastly, the """classic""" shonen MC, that's a nice guy who will try to save EVERYONE because he's a NICE GUY, also he'll hesitate to do harm to even his enemies because he's just that much of a nice guy. he often sacrifices himself. I hate that, I hate it when it's not justifed, but if it is and the character is well written I won't hate it.

I realize the "victim" and the "crybaby little bitch of meta modern anime" very often go together, which makes me hate them even MORE
ZehennagelAug 28, 2018 1:04 PM
Aug 28, 2018 12:55 PM

Feb 2017
bland, boring protagonists with not much personality. other characters/plot just kind of shift them around. this is a problem in western media too.
Aug 28, 2018 1:00 PM
Jan 2018
if a character act strong but very weak like nami from one piece
Aug 28, 2018 1:01 PM
Aug 2018
There are different type of hating, i might hate a character like Dio Brando (jojo) because it is written for the only purpose of being hate but i can also hate characters like koyomi araragi (monogatari) or emiya shirou ( original fate stay night only) cause they are bland and poor written.
Aug 28, 2018 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
I rarely hate fictional characters. I don't mind (and sometimes like) even those characters very few people like (like Mineta), and I also don't tend to hate villains who are supposed to be hated (Shinji Matou, Embryo, Nobuyuki Sugou, the prime Minister from Akame ga Kill, the pink haired bitch from Hanebado...). It is extremely rare for me to dislike fictional characters, but when I dislike them, I dislike them a lot. Most of the times because the character has a very obnoxious personality (and not the obnoxiously enjoyable type, like the examples mentioned above).
Aug 28, 2018 1:07 PM

Jun 2015
I tend to absorb myself into anime to the point where I see characters as people and not fictional characters, so I guess *almost* every villain/bad person ever is an example.

I also can't stand anime characters not feeling like real people (if the show is aiming for it), but that makes me not like the anime as a whole and not just the characters.
Aug 28, 2018 1:10 PM
Aug 2016
I start to hate/despise a certain character if they kill or harm one of the characters that I like.
I don't have an example that comes to mind right now.
Aug 28, 2018 1:23 PM

Sep 2017
I don't like the characters that are animated
Aug 28, 2018 1:27 PM

Feb 2017
Swagernator said:
If they are gay, or act like a gay, or have gay friends or are part of gay loving fanbase.

Levi from SNK
Eren from SNK
Katsuki from BNHA
Izuku from BNHA

And so on, we all know how it goes.

lmao this is such an ironic post from someone that loves mgs. mgs has tons of homoerotic themes and gay and bisexual men and women.
Aug 28, 2018 1:30 PM

Jun 2017
If he/she's like Lelouch I definitely hate him/her
If she's like Elizabeth in Nanatsu no Taizai I hate her
If he's like the protagonist of toaru (didn't even remember his name) I hate him
Aug 28, 2018 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
MCs without any discernible personalities who are inexplicably great at everything (e.g. Kirito from SAO) and one-note villains who exist solely to piss the viewer off (e.g. Nobuyuki, also from SAO. Jesus that show was terribly written).
Take care of yourself

Aug 28, 2018 1:36 PM

Sep 2013
when all the character does is scream in a pattern or when characters who are really disgusting but also are coward as heck
Aug 28, 2018 1:41 PM

Sep 2014
when a character supposed to be a genius but he is so badly written he just a stipid goof.

Like Lelouch from ShitGeass.
Smoke Weed Everyday
Aug 28, 2018 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
ZvoElf said:
Also, the cliche LN/Harem/Isekai Protagonist when we're talking about personality.
No.3
lol
why Yuji on this list of all things
Aug 28, 2018 1:42 PM

Jan 2014
the main male protagonists of kimiga nozomu eien, clannad, and fate stay night. they all are just shit and yet every female character in their shows admires them and falls in love with them.
the main male character of fate stay night, again, and evangelion. they are whiny little b*es yet they are somehow possessors of the force and become saviors of the world
Aug 28, 2018 1:44 PM
Sep 2015
Cold hearted character or character who don't have / rarely show their human side.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Aug 28, 2018 1:47 PM
Oct 2013
I can´t really agree with the notion of hating a character. If it´s the authors intention to make me hate his villain he suceeded and i like the villain for being relateable/diabolical or entertaining.

If a character isn´t meant to be hated but I hate him because he´s poorly written I hate the author for it and less the character itself. It´s when my immersion breaks because of the bad illusion he provided or unsympathetic characterization he tries to push down my throat.

An example of this would be Lucy from ELfen Lied. The pervert of a Mangaka that came up with her can go fuck himself. A homicidial maniac that´s genetically predisposed to kill other humans is not a likeable character no matter how much abuse she suffers.
This also the female cunt girlfriend from Tokyo Ghoul and any other example of this fetish induced characterization that originated in Hentai (look it up). No offense to those with a Yandere fetish, i know it´s not your fault but you´re objectively insane.
Aug 28, 2018 1:51 PM

Jul 2017
Dense harem protagonists like from: Hajimete no Gal, Infinite Stratos, Beatless, Mashiro-iro etc

MC's that literally choose main girl for the most absurd reasons like from: Just Because, Fuuka, KimiKiss

Aug 28, 2018 1:53 PM

Apr 2016
vidoxi said:
Swagernator said:
If they are gay, or act like a gay, or have gay friends or are part of gay loving fanbase.

Levi from SNK
Eren from SNK
Katsuki from BNHA
Izuku from BNHA

And so on, we all know how it goes.

lmao this is such an ironic post from someone that loves mgs. mgs has tons of homoerotic themes and gay and bisexual men and women.

MGS is yet to be ruined by fujoshi, but until its done, im safe.
Aug 28, 2018 1:55 PM

Aug 2018
Obnoxious personalities. Tsundere characters are terrible offenders of this!

But, if there is one anime character that made me want to put my head through a dozen walls everytime she opened her mouth....

It was fuckin' Mayaya from Princess Jellyfish. Look up "annoying loud mouth" in the dictionary, and you're going to see her face on it. Guaranteed. She is my least favorite anime character for that reason alone.
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Aug 28, 2018 2:15 PM

Feb 2017
Swagernator said:
vidoxi said:

MGS is yet to be ruined by fujoshi, but until its done, im safe.

what, so it's the fujoshi that are the problem, not the actual gay content in the work itself? there are lots of female mgs fans and gay fanart and fanfiction out there. even if most of the fans were like that i dont see how it would "ruin" mgs. the games would stay the same regardless if all the fans were flaming gay or fujoshits.
Aug 28, 2018 2:28 PM

Oct 2013
ZvoElf said:
Deknijff said:
lol
why Yuji on this list of all things
For me, he is nothing else than this bland copypaste dark haired indecisive character without any personality.
I'll admit to not had seen the complete show, so if he changes over the runtime (which I never heard of) then he should be excluded, but of what I've got shown about him he looks and acts the same as most harem/ LN protagonists.
Nah nah Yuji not like most LN anime MCs
My forum set is of Yuji so as you can see he heavily develops throughout the series
at least if you want to judge based off pics without me telling you plot points
Aug 28, 2018 2:28 PM

Nov 2016
if they are mean or abusive to innocent loli like Jun Ushiro - Bokurano
if they dont understand logic and dont have basic human reasoning but are not there for comic relief. like Mika - Psycho Pass 2, Yuki - Mirai Nikki, Emiya Shirou - Fate stay night....
Aug 28, 2018 2:32 PM

Jul 2017
type 1 - characters that are too generic and predictable
ex - deku from MHA
type 2 - characters that dont change over time and have little to no personality
ex - subaru from rezero
type 3 characters whose images are pretentiously nurtured
ex - zero two from darling in the franxx
Aug 28, 2018 2:36 PM

Aug 2017
for me its simple...if characters allows others to abuse him without trying to fight its trash character i hate him.
All the characters that dont stand up against tsunderes makes me hate them ALSO almost all the harem characters they're just dumb idiots mindless fucking idiots they refuse to have any sexual intercourse with any of the girls they stupid as rock they cant understand any feelings they bitch out when girl makes a move on them like for example "To Love-Ru" Mc in that anime is shit.
Aug 28, 2018 2:38 PM
Sep 2012
The ones I hate I tend to forget...

Stuck up whiney princess types
Nanami Kiryuu from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Airhead mission only soldier boys
Sousuke Sagara - Full metal panic
Heero Yui - Gundam Wing

Aug 28, 2018 2:41 PM
Apr 2017
i would need the whole night to explain why ii hate that and that character
and will most likely get carried away
so i wont particapate

but my most hated is suzaku
obvious reasons
Aug 28, 2018 2:45 PM

Oct 2013
ZvoElf said:
Deknijff said:
Nah nah Yuji not like most LN anime MCs
My forum set is of Yuji so as you can see he heavily develops throughout the series
at least if you want to judge based off pics without me telling you plot points
I see, then I'll apologize for using him as an example.
Even though, I wouldn't mind hearing some spoilers if this further contradicts my first statement.
To be short really
As the show goes on Yuji becomes more and more dissatisfied and eventually becomes the quote on quote bad guy of the series and causes war in effort to fix what he deems wrong with the world in order to protect those he loves
Aug 28, 2018 2:49 PM

Jul 2014
The two only characters I hate are both fake bitches, so I guess I hate fake bitches

The latter also being a devious scheming arse
Aug 28, 2018 3:02 PM

Aug 2017
1) Characters with exaggerated personality: Natsu, Asta, Naruto in Shippuden, Luffy, Zapp from Kekkai Sensen, Yuno from Mirai Nikki.

2) Beta cuck MC: Hiro from Darling in the FranXX, every beta cuck MC in anime.

3) Waifu-bait characters: Zero Two from Darling in the FranXX, Emilia from Re:Zero.

4) Useless characters: Sakura from Naruto, Ochako from BNA, Ichigo and Kokoro from Darling in the FranXX, Mira from Dimension W, Leonardo from Kekkai Sensen, Mio from Just Because!, Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki, Elizabeth from Nanatsu no Taizai.

5) Self-insert characters: Sieg from Fate Apocrypha, 'x' random character,

6) Evil characters for the sake of being evil: Connie and Kaoruko from Hanebado!, 'X' random villain from shounen or generic isekai.

7) Stupid characters: Violet from Violet Evergarden, every character from Aldnoah.Zero except Marito, Ryouko from Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger, Shouko from Koe no Katachi.

8) Annoying brats: Zorome and Miku from Darling in the FranXX, Ann from Violet Evergarden, Ayumi from Charlotte.
NurguburuAug 28, 2018 3:09 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 28, 2018 3:09 PM

Oct 2017
Well i analyze her fandom
I hate the fandom's Levi of SNK ,it infuriates me that they see the series by a damn dwarf that hopefully dies

Be unfriendly with others and create the best like Bakugou

Be The Idiot withou funny like Suzuya Juuzou

Believe the hottest the hottest in the class here I have 2 Todoroki Shouto and Momo Yaoyorozu

Well if I offended you forgiveness but it is my opinion, these characters are like the good anime trash are a few of the large number of junk characters

Aug 28, 2018 4:10 PM

Jul 2016
-_-Valentina said:
Well if I offended you forgiveness but it is my opinion, these characters are like the good anime trash are a few of the large number of junk characters

If they were one of my favorite characters, I would do something to shove them in your face even more. XD
Aug 28, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2016
If a character is denser than a black hole and is just there just because, a high chance would be I'll hate it. An example of this is Ichika fucking Orimura of Infinite Stratos. Fuck that guy.

Aug 28, 2018 4:31 PM

Oct 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
-_-Valentina said:

If they were one of my favorite characters, I would do something to shove them in your face even more. XD
I've got enough with your Fandom to possibly push them into my face even more
Aug 28, 2018 4:39 PM

Oct 2017
ironically enough it's probably characters that have little to no personality at all

cardboard cutouts are one of the things i dislike most in anime, especially when there's so much room for creative writing and characters
Aug 28, 2018 5:03 PM

Jul 2017
-Dense protagonists (Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki)
-Characters that are always making irrational and stupid decisions because of their ideals or dreams (Shirou Emiya)
-Characters that are evil for the sake of being evil (that villain in the ALO arc from SAO, the prime minister from Akame ga Kill)
-Yanderes and crazy characters with no reason (Yuno Gasai, almost the entire cast of Mahou Shoujo Site)
-Annoying tsunderes (Noelle Silva from Black Clover)
-Gary Stu and Mary Sue MCs (Asta from Black Clover, Kaneki, Kirito, Asuna)
-Awful characters that are meant to be “kawaii” (Yui from SAO)
-“Kawaii” capricious characters that only think about themselves (Nadeko Sengoku from Monogatari, even though ahe's an amazingly written character)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

12 by Karimhi »»
9 minutes ago

» day 100 of watching shonen anime

GDjkhp - Yesterday

14 by Nirinbo »»
14 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 9 hours ago

14 by Theo1899 »»
27 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - Yesterday

20 by traed »»
27 minutes ago

» How do you feel about the By Any Means Necessary drip jacket?

GinInYourJuice - Yesterday

9 by K-Arlovski »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.