Forum Settings
Forums

Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

New
Jun 10, 2:03 PM

Apr 2018
I'm a bit unsure if it's appropriate or if they'll enjoy it as much as I did back then. The 2000s had some amazing anime series, but times have changed, and I'm not sure if the animation style, storytelling, and themes would still resonate with kids today. Do you think 2000s anime can still appeal to kids nowadays? If so, which series do you think would be the best to introduce to them? And if not, what are some more modern alternatives that capture the same spirit?
Jun 10, 2:06 PM

Aug 2019
I'm not sure if the animation style, storytelling, and themes would still resonate with kids today

What "themes" wouldn't resonate with kids nowadays? Legitimately curious because I don't have kids or know any kids so I'm not sure how childhood themes now differ from childhood themes 20 years ago.

Jun 10, 2:10 PM

Dec 2021

Still AI slop questions, so still AI slop answers. Does not reflect my actual thoughts or opinions.
Daviljoe193Jun 10, 2:37 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 10, 2:21 PM

Sep 2016
Sure, there are plenty to recommend from the 2000s

Dragevard said:
If so, which series do you think would be the best to introduce to them?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2001/Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 10, 2:23 PM

Jun 2024
I don't see why it's not possible. Of course it is.
Jun 10, 2:25 PM

Apr 2024
My little siblings are still watching beyblade, specifically the burst series and they enjoy it, so I think that the Beyblade saga isn't outdated. same goes for pokemon
Storytelling? themes? not sure if they change over the years to be honest
Jun 10, 2:37 PM

Jun 2019
It depends on the kid, as with anything individual-dependent.

As a kid in the 2000s, I was watching sitcoms and other shows from the 1950s and still am, so you can't lump everyone in a generation in as to being a molded product which will inherently be of the same mindset.
Jun 10, 3:17 PM

Apr 2011
Oh, boy! That's a good question! Yes, it is possible to recommend 2000's anime to kids. Mermaid Melody and Pretty Cure are my choices for 2000's magical girl anime.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Jun 10, 3:17 PM

Mar 2023
Kids these days can't even watch anything longer than 30 seconds.
Jun 10, 3:21 PM

Feb 2016
Yes, we have freedom of speech where I live.
その目だれの目?
Jun 10, 3:25 PM

Dec 2021

Oops, I think I might've accidentally dropped something... oh well.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 10, 4:08 PM

Oct 2017
It's not all that far removed from what we get today in some ways and definitely feels more modern than 90's and prior, so I am sure most people younger than me (I'm 22) would prolly still enjoy. A lot of 2000s anime are in 16:9 and animated digitally so that overcomes the hurdle of film grain and aspect ratio that some people have (these things never bothered me).
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 10, 4:17 PM

Dec 2022
Considering 95% of people still default to recommending Death Note like it's an involuntary reflex, it's definitely possible.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 10, 7:42 PM

Feb 2020
"Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?"

Of course it is.
Jun 10, 7:52 PM

Jan 2022
Yeah,, if it's a big three anime....
Jun 10, 7:57 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Yes, I think so, though your mileage will vary.
Jun 10, 10:19 PM

Mar 2020
Obvious answer is yes but depends on the person without age being a factor into it.
Jun 10, 10:32 PM

Dec 2018
Yeah. There're still kids nowadays that get excited in discovering Naruto for the first time. Anything popular like Pokemon or DBZ might be easy choices.
MaumuuJun 10, 10:36 PM
Jun 10, 11:56 PM

Apr 2021
I personally don't think it is possible, coz my 10yo cousin is all about Gojo from Jujutsu Kaisen. I do understand that a 10yo cant understand many good anime like Attack on Titan or Death Note, but he wasn't even ready to watch something like Dragon Ball or any of the Big 3 shonen. Kids these days are only attached to mid anime like demon slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen.
Jun 11, 1:50 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
If a kid has been brainwashed by the education system to be OFFENDED at anything mildly spicy, then no : )
Jun 11, 2:02 AM

Mar 2008
Japanese story telling is already different from Western media to begin with. I dont think anyone would avoid it but it is different sometimes so depends on tastes.
Jun 11, 5:02 AM

Jan 2023
I think so, but what genre the child likes has a lot of influence.
I have a 10-year-old son, he got hooked on watching anime, but pure shounen (which is not my favorite genre) and a lot of new stuff.
I recommended Slayers and CardCaptor Sakura, which are my favorites, and no chance. He tried Saint Seiya, but it didn't convince him. What I was able to make him watch were almost all the Ghibli films.

He is a fan of Jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Solo Leveling. It also made me watch the whole Nanatsu no Taizai. The only different thing we watched together was Hi Score Girl.
And the last thing he started watching is The Rising of the Shield Hero.

PS: I'm more into 90's anime, I'm 36 (?).
Jun 11, 5:14 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I don't speak to kids (nor do I think anything I love would be suitable for kids) but my position is that good art is timeless. Ghibli is still popular with younger anime fans, right?
Jun 11, 5:39 AM

Oct 2019
Death notes' existance should be enough to say, yes you can.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 11, 6:03 AM
Jun 11, 8:04 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to juanlqr
I think so, but what genre the child likes has a lot of influence.
I have a 10-year-old son, he got hooked on watching anime, but pure shounen (which is not my favorite genre) and a lot of new stuff.
I recommended Slayers and CardCaptor Sakura, which are my favorites, and no chance. He tried Saint Seiya, but it didn't convince him. What I was able to make him watch were almost all the Ghibli films.

He is a fan of Jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Solo Leveling. It also made me watch the whole Nanatsu no Taizai. The only different thing we watched together was Hi Score Girl.
And the last thing he started watching is The Rising of the Shield Hero.

PS: I'm more into 90's anime, I'm 36 (?).
juanlqr said:
The only different thing we watched together was Hi Score Girl.

I'm surprised a kid would find that show interesting. I'm an adult and I still know nothing about those kinds of games.
その目だれの目?
Jun 11, 8:12 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Lucifrost
juanlqr said:
The only different thing we watched together was Hi Score Girl.

I'm surprised a kid would find that show interesting. I'm an adult and I still know nothing about those kinds of games.
@Lucifrost

I was also surprised that he got hooked. We started seeing it by chance together. He liked it. I also liked it a lot.
Those naive relationships with Akira and Koharu applied to someone younger as well.
Jun 11, 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
maybe late 2005 anime shows since the early 2000s anime are rough due to transition of traditional animation to digital
Jun 11, 10:33 PM

Sep 2019
Kids, I can't say. In general, definitely possible.

I've met many who have gotten curious about older titles and enjoy them despite their preference for the flashier newer titles
Jun 11, 11:02 PM

May 2018
Totally possible. I think a lot of "kids" these days can still appreciate good characters and storytelling, and there's still plenty of good anime even if you avoid anything with fanservice or less than appropriate content.
can't yuck my yum

Jun 11, 11:23 PM
♡’s yandere men

Mar 2015
not likely, unless is something 8/10 mins an episode max with a slapstick comedy genre, even i sometimes get stuck finishing things since i started tiktok and im 22. LOL
Jun 11, 11:57 PM

Jun 2011
I don't think it's the story telling or themes that hinder kids from enjoying 2000's anime, it's more so the animation style and the pacing. Vinland Saga manga started in 2005, and Parasyte manga was from the 80's, that didn't stop the kids today from enjoying those shows.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 12, 1:18 AM

Jan 2020
Nah, not really. Those series are too lengthy for modern kids. You can recommend something like Death Note or Code Geass, because that’s what everyone watches but apart from that — no.
Jun 12, 5:38 AM
Oct 2013
Clannad is one anime I will always recommend no matter what age you are
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 12, 7:28 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Pretty good question
I don't think they would love it as much. Everything nowadays is so quick paced and back then it was a lot slower to somewhere.
Probably FMA brotherhood might be a good one to start with.

More topics from this board

» Create the user above 3x3

AnimePedestrian - 7 hours ago

5 by DesuMaiden »»
23 seconds ago

» Do you consider yourself as- Anime Guy, Manga Guy or Neutral ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Jul 24

52 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » would you do anime related work?

nishant0 - Yesterday

15 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3?

thewiru - Today

36 by thewiru »»
16 minutes ago

» Why there are no Egyptian anime

JoeChip - 6 hours ago

10 by JustMaya »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.