Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2018 6:40 PM

Sep 2015
Hell_ping said:
He is a respected master of shogi, but he's not street smart at all. That's the problem with him, matured at shogi, immature at everything else. Whatever he thinks is appropriate ends up coming out wrong.

Take for example episode 2, when Ginko showed up at his place. The only reason why she did (not in anime) was because Yaichi stupidly texted Keika saying that he had lolis staying over at his house, and Keika messaged Ginko.

This isn't just a problem limited to him, it goes to many idiot hero protagonists.

That last part is my point. And it doesn't take street smarts to know what you should and shouldn't do with a grade schooler. Anyone who isn't limited in social interaction knows that you don't ask a grade-schooler to be your bride.
I'll use myself as an example (yeah yeah not a smart move), but I basically had zero friends all the way up until high school, I have ADHD and OCD (though nothing overt) and I had a lisp in my speech (which was the main reason I didn't make any friends). EVEN SO, my thirteen-year-old self wouldn't make any of those lousy errors and can probably run circles around that MC (granted only if I told him what was wrong or something). Right here, I am talking from personal experience because I was the dense loser that every other main protagonist was, only the way writers tend to write dense and idiotic protagonists is the most unrealistic thing I've seen. And people wonder why I get defensive on this topic when I experienced it myself. Ridiculous.
Jan 29, 2018 6:43 PM

Jan 2014
Lolicon King lmao. I have a feeling Ai will tell Sora about this and things will get ugly '-'
Jan 29, 2018 6:44 PM

Mar 2014
is MC really the king of shogi? weak as fk man
Jan 29, 2018 8:10 PM
Sep 2010
For those who are interested in the answers of the tsume problems Yaichi and Ai were competing to solve faster in the morning, here are the link to replay on the virtual boards.
The first one(on the surface of the puzzle book). https://goo.gl/dSarpr
The second one - https://goo.gl/j9x9i6
The third one - https://goo.gl/UASFHZ
The fourth one(corrected) - https://goo.gl/u12obr
The fourth one(wrong, originally posted) - https://goo.gl/c9AgmH

Ai told the fourth one was in 23 moves, but I believe it's in 21 moves instead. Anyway, they are tough to solve except for the first one so I think even 99% of Japanese audience cannot grasp what they really are and just feel they are solving puzzles together from the opening scene.

correction on Feb. 05, 2017 1:03 am(JST). I was wrong. The anime is correct. It's a mate in 23 moves. I added the correct one for you to replay above.
takodoriFeb 4, 2018 8:04 AM
Jan 29, 2018 9:09 PM
Jan 2018
takodori said:
For those who are interested in the answers of the tsume problems Yaichi and Ai were competing to solve faster in the morning, here are the link to replay on the virtual boards.
The fourth one - https://goo.gl/c9AgmH

Ai told the fourth one was in 23 moves, but I believe it's in 21 moves instead. Anyway, they are tough to solve except for the first one so I think even 99% of Japanese audience cannot grasp what they really are and just feel they are solving puzzles together from the opening scene.

You didn't giva a sh*t about what other people rant in this topic and always gave us an interesting stuff about Shogi. I'm really appreciated that, thank a lot takodori.
Jan 29, 2018 9:44 PM

Jul 2013
This is a fantastic anime so far that I am definitely going to rewatch. I've played a little shogi against computers, and that's it. So I'm familiar with the absolute basics, but this is really inspiring me to get back into it and really develop my skill in it. I'm pretty good at chess, good enough to at least give very good amateurs a run for their money, so I'd like to get at least that good with shogi. After that, a rewatch of this will be warranted. I think I will appreciate it even more.

Other than the hurr-durr loli hate, I really don't get the hate here. I've seen arguments about fanservice when the only fanservice was one seen of the main girl coming out of the shower. And seriously, if you've babysitted enough and that hasn't happened to you, you got lucky. It's pretty annoying IRL. My point is that's a situation that could absolutely happen IRL, hence the fanservice is justified.

I do have to say all of Monogatari's fanservice is justified. I saw a very good argument for it once that even fully justified the toothbrush scene. You have to remember from whose point of view the story is being told (Read the novels too. They go much more in depth. They are honestly better than the anime, and this is coming from someone who rates almost all Monogatari anime 10.). It's not like all Japanese women are somehow asexual. It's really the opposite. Anyways, you guys don't have to argue so hard.

That said, I can't exactly take expertise on teaching seriously from a 17 year old @Draconix814 . I think you are too confident in your own knowledge and experience, and you are being overly critical of the show. He's 16, has only a 9th grade level of education, and has no experience teaching. These are literally his first disciples. At lot of the mistakes he makes are intentionally put in for comedy. This show is a comedy, not a super-serious drama, and should be rated in part based on that.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Jan 29, 2018 11:03 PM

Apr 2011
The moment the Ai and co want to go on a dojo and Yaichi and Ai go, he knew he F up!

Its gonna be fun to see the confrontation between the two Ai.
Jan 30, 2018 1:34 AM
Nov 2017
SHITS HEATING UP...gonna be fun to see the loli harem compete, hopefully it's not an open ending.
Jan 30, 2018 2:20 AM

May 2009
takodori said:
The fourth one - https://goo.gl/c9AgmH

Any recommandation for a site/video to start learning how to play shogi?
Do you feel it's easy to have a good understanding of the board without needing to pause?
Jan 30, 2018 2:51 AM
Sep 2010
Djidji said:

Any recommandation for a site/video to start learning how to play shogi?
Do you feel it's easy to have a good understanding of the board without needing to pause?

Pls google "HIDETCHI shogi youtube", then you will be able to find his excellent "How to play shogi" series. I'd recommend to watch the lesson 4 of them to understand what the second Ai was asking Yaichi to tell her in this episode.

The pacing of this show is considerably high. It's impossible to have a good understanding of any shogi positions on the board in the show without pause. I don't guess any professional players can.
Jan 30, 2018 3:55 AM

Jan 2018
As a fan of the novel, I have to say the anime is really trash. Really disappointed
xdyllxJan 30, 2018 6:22 AM
Jan 30, 2018 4:29 AM

Sep 2015
@Hraktuus I really should hide my age, so people like you don't dismiss everything I say because of it... At any rate, it's not like I was giving a teaching course, I was giving the very basics of what every teacher should know. And if you think you know better about teaching, then surely you could dispel what I said about it without any of your preconceived bias. And for the rest of your argument, please refer to my other posts in this forum for what I think about that.
Jan 30, 2018 4:41 AM

Jul 2013
Draconix814 said:
@Hraktuus I really should hide my age, so people like you don't dismiss everything I say because of it... At any rate, it's not like I was giving a teaching course, I was giving the very basics of what every teacher should know. And if you think you know better about teaching, then surely you could dispel what I said about it without any of your preconceived bias. And for the rest of your argument, please refer to my other posts in this forum for what I think about that.

I would have said the same thing even if you were 24, and my points hold true as far as the character. Why would a 16 year old know any of the basics about teaching when he hasn't taken any such course? Your argument is irrelevant to the character. You're expecting way too much of him and projecting both yourself and your culture onto him.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Jan 30, 2018 5:51 AM

Dec 2015
HoHoHo..."scary" cliffhanger!
Maybe Ai-chan will be become angry.....really angry.....
Jan 30, 2018 6:30 AM
Mar 2016
Whoa whoa whooooa, I thought Ryouuou and Ai would have moved to Ai's place upon her mom's consent of allowing Ai to play shogi, so wtf were the 2 still in Osaka?????? And really did they just added another Ai loli to Ryouu's mix?
Jan 30, 2018 7:37 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Nice new character addition, Red Ai (Yashajin) is interesting :)

Can't wait to see Blue Ai vs Red Ai rivalry....not only as shogi players hehe :D

By the way, I also like Red Ai's rival....PPAP woman :)

RinrinkaJan 30, 2018 7:52 AM

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 30, 2018 7:37 AM

Oct 2008
so Hinatsuru's forte is end game shogi moves huh!
I heard Aizen voice again! and a 5 time meijin cool!
Finally the last main loli character was introduced...same first name Ai as well and she is none other than Yashajin! but a bratty personality loli, but i think her character will improve!
Yashajin is the upcoming rival of Hinatsuru!
Char so adorable and wants to become his disciple also!
Hinatsuru's devastated when she heard bride to Char! so jelly and she's right he's a Lolicon King! haha! call the police! lolz!!!
DAMN! Yaichi will be caught red-handed! but damn cliffhanger! he's totally busted!
5/5.

Jan 30, 2018 3:03 PM

Sep 2015
Hraktuus said:
Draconix814 said:

I would have said the same thing even if you were 24, and my points hold true as far as the character. Why would a 16 year old know any of the basics about teaching when he hasn't taken any such course? Your argument is irrelevant to the character. You're expecting way too much of him and projecting both yourself and your culture onto him.

First, you say that no one should take advice from me because I am seventeen, then you say that you wouldn't even if I was twenty-four? How does that make sense- besides the fact that if I were 24, I would have had enough time in my slow-moving life to go to college and get a teaching degree.
But what is it about my points about teaching that was so wrong? Please explain it so a dumbass 17-year-old can understand, because by the way you are dismissing my argument makes me think that you have some sort of teaching knowledge. Go ahead.

Like I said, I was only explaining the basics of how to tutor children, it's not like I was attempting to teach an entire course (though my sarcasm doesn't really help). And while I didn't comment on your views on the character of the Ryou (I'll do that now), allow me to address a few flaws in your argument- and why he isn't a believable character.

Bear with me.
The Ryou is 16 and has a ninth-grade education (I guess he hasn't gone to school for two years?), he isn't limited in social interaction- and he even has a younger brother- which means that we can assume that he has common sense. He's a surrogate for the audience, after all, we should at least expect that much- but as a character, he is also supposed to be the Meijin/ Ryou of Shogi. Shogi and Chess require a lot of thinking and understanding of other opponents- of other people. This means that Ryou is actually supposed to be smarter than the average person for the sheer fact that he uses his brain a lot- not only that but as the Ryou, he is supposed to be the mentor of others. This I assume you already know, so let's take a step back and analyze what this all really means. His character is the surrogate for the audience, but he has already reached his pique of development- think about it, when has he been characterized to have a flaw that needs fixing- and where do you expect him to go? This really isn't all that much of a problem until you consider that he makes very stupid mistakes- his inner monologues that consist of a few exposition dumps for the audience, while the only actual things he says for himself is "I need to give it my all!". Again, this isn't all that bad yet- he is after all young like you said.
That said, look at how horribly he rationalizes everything else in Episode 4. First of all, the whole "will you be my bride" thing doesn't make sense from a comedy perspective, nor does if he was really in a pinch. If it was a joke on his part, then we would assume that everyone in the room would understand the joke and everyone would laugh upon hearing it- even if he recognized it as a poor joke that he did in bad taste, he would apologize and admit that he was joking. This doesn't happen. Now let's assume that he was seriously in a pinch (from this overtly childish question that someone of his age wouldn't take seriously from someone who's nine-years-old (sound familiar?)), why does he go straight to the marriage? If it was a slip of his tongue, that would mean he was thinking about marriage with ("a" or "the") child before receiving this question- and it slipped out. Understandable- but then he would apologize and get embarrassed for saying something so ludicrous in an inappropriate scenario (this is Japanese culture after all, even if arguably the same norms apply in America for this situation). But that doesn't happen either.
If that was his prototypical reaction to a little girl asking him why she couldn't be his disciple- then what is he a pedophile? This here shows he doesn't have common sense- and wasn't even smart enough to read what everyone's reactions would be if he did decide to spout it out- contradictory to what we established earlier. Then we get to the stuff with Ai Prime. I suppose what bugs me the most is that Ryou intentionally hides Ai prime from Ai- which isn't all that bad on a surface level, in fact as an absurd parody of rom-com anime, it would be gold, however, it is actually taking this seriously. Actually what I think would have worked better in this scenario, would be that Ai walks in exactly when he tells Ai prime that she would be better than her in a shogi match- as this would bring forward development on both sides- The Ryou would have to deal with an even further depressed Ai because he tells her she's not good enough, and Ai would need to get over whatever problem she has and find it in herself to forgive the Ryou after she beats Ai Prime.
That's not how things play out (obviously), but what's wrong with how everything plays out is the fact that it is clearly trying to contrive itself unto a cliche misunderstanding. (Ai walks in when he's holding Ai Prime's hand, and I am certain this will lead to Ai being jealous of the Ryou, Ai Prime get's a bit cocky and challenges her to a shogi match and it ends in a draw before they both ask him to be his tutor again) Now I understand that complaining about cliches is a cliche in it of itself (even worse because I am talking about a hypothetical cliche), however, it is justified by everything that happens before it. The scene with Char momentarily broke his character, followed by him blatantly hiding his new contract with Ai Prime from Ai for no other reason than she would get mad at him (I already explained in a previous post that Ai cannot be in love with him, rather she idolizes him, and in this one where I said he isn't characterized as a pedophile (except for that dumb joke), so from both sides it doesn't make sense for him to think this), and him actually misreading Ai's reading of him. He's supposed to be good at reading people, so why doesn't he notice that Ai was reading him- and why did he say to Ai Prime that Ai isn't good at reading people? Do you even see (partially) why I am getting annoyed now? The only way this show can NOT get worse is if the author decides to use Ai's new ability to read others as a plot point next episode, and a reminder to Ryou that he wasn't paying attention (while he should have already mastered that).
The Ryou is the master, his role in the story should be getting Ai to progress, to be her teacher, but none of the story progression so far points to anything but a rom-com. He is still allowed to develop, he doesn't need to be a static character like Gintoki from Gintama or Oshino from Monogatari (both characters are mentors that are used to develop everyone else), but he looks like he is developing backward rather than forward- contrary to the nature of the narrative.

I heard that later on, in the third light novel, it gets very intense with shogi, but I have a feeling it will all be as hollow and meaningless as this episode was because this show has a habit of taking a step forward and moving a step back in the same minute. Serious threats to their relationship such as Ai's mother taking her away, only to be downplayed by giving conditions to their relationship such as an engagement if he doesn't make her successful, then never bothering to dwell on it again to move the story forward, is enough evidence to this idea.

And you can't defend it by saying "it's a comedy, so we should allow some illogical situations", because there is a light novel anime named KonoSuba that can make even more absurd situations while it still making logical sense, and it builds off itself in hilarious ways that still work for the narrative. There's the legendary Gintama that can crank both comedy and tension to 11 while still making logical sense, and Monogatari can make borderline pedophilia fun.

But explain to me again how I am placing unrealistic personal and cultural expectations on the Ryou?
Draconix814Jan 30, 2018 3:07 PM
Jan 30, 2018 5:56 PM

Jan 2014
Don't take this show seriously don't relate it to irl(pedo) either cause there's no sane man in this world who could told grade schooler to become his wife.
Just watching because their seiyuus is op, and char damn adorable, sasuga ogura yui.. hidaka rina as loli again. 2nd ai's wink reminded me of iroha's, damn ayaneru. And some voice of my goddess kayanon
Jan 31, 2018 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
OH SHOOT. THE LOLI ARMY IS GROWING. Lolicon King is right, dude has 5 now. I can hear the police sirens in the distance... inching closer and closer... as I sit here laughing internally. I can understand the need to give her a rival more her level of course, plus she's got one of my favorite Seiyuus (Is that the right word)?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the loli massacre of next episode. 5 GO IN. 1 COMES OUT.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 31, 2018 7:40 AM

Apr 2012
Oh hell I can't wait for the two Ais to beat each other up.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 31, 2018 8:09 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Didnt like this episode. I dont get why Ai's rival has to be another girl named Ai with the same "ability" as her. It's just a dumb and cheap thing to do to give her a rival. Not to mention there's more fanservice for the loli lovers and it just not done right. The show can't seem to balance it well.
Feb 1, 2018 5:34 AM
Jan 2018
People complaint about fanservice even though the entire episode is focus on Shogi? I can't understand MAL sometime.
Feb 2, 2018 1:58 AM

May 2009
I've seen some idiot harem protags, but Yaichi has proven to be an utter and complete moron. Seriously, keeping his other student a secret was bad enough, but telling Char she could be his wife, when she barely even understands what that truly means, was just insanely stupid. What if she gets older and decides to have him come true on that promise? Given how seriously they treat this in anime like these, he pretty much doomed himself.

And of course Ai finds out about it, especially when she outright told him she could tell when he was bullshitting her. Oh well, hopefully he'll learn the mistakes he made in the next episode. If not, then he is beyond saving.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2018 1:49 PM

Jan 2016
Lol, all this people contemptuous of this anime because of "pedophilia"
In time, you will know the tragic extent of my fapping's...
Feb 2, 2018 5:31 PM

Jan 2014
I only watch this show cause it's funny. (Wow, that sounds sarcastic lmao)

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 2, 2018 8:32 PM
Dec 2013
I'm not a loli fan but this series has been more entertaining than it has any business being. I think part of the reason I'm ok with it is the main character is clearly not a lolicon.
Feb 2, 2018 9:46 PM
Nov 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, that Ai Yashajin really wants to prove herself when it comes to shogi. She's a bit emotional as well.

Pretty much more of another buildup episode. Some awkward moments aside, I think Yaichi might be putting a lot more responsibility on his shoulders than he realizes.
what does it take to be able post/create your own forum? I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm asking you because it says you're online right now.
Feb 4, 2018 2:14 AM
Mar 2012
Not sure if Ai2 is grabage tsun or good tsun, will wait n see.
Awesome Char's back.
Mc makes very weird choices... just make a study group & everyone joins problem solved.

Feb 4, 2018 4:13 AM

Feb 2014
Either the MC is a retard, or more likely, him wanting to make the 3 year old girl (who can barely talk) his bride was a Freudian slip. But that scene towards the end with Ai 1.0 catching them in the "act" was the most entertaining thing this trashy show has done so far throughout these 4 episodes.
Feb 4, 2018 4:56 PM

Mar 2013
Somehow, this show that seems to portrayed some very weird outlooks have more people watching em' than a show that actually showcased kids being kids like Mitsuboshi Colors. People constantly trashed this sorts of anime but valiantly avoid the ones that doesn't have dumbass main character handling kids in a realistic and respectable manner. Though, the latter have better rating so there's something, at least.
Feb 5, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
A real fun at certain moments, the Osaka lady made me laugh with laughter. Interesting the session of Shogi, the small brackets of fanservice, are easily flying over. Go with the next one! :D
Aug 9, 2018 9:20 PM

May 2012
Hoho that cliffhanger! Pretty fun episode and quite entertaining, really looking forwards to see what's next.
Oct 31, 2018 4:11 AM

Jul 2016
This is a wild ride. And a good place to stop for now.
Nov 23, 2020 8:06 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So now we have two Ai hmmm interesting I guess, especially for the newest Ai
May 14, 2021 12:52 PM

Aug 2018
You can't mate with the pawn?.. That's a bit strange thing.. But it can also be for the better, I don't know rules myself and what things are for better or worse in shougi..
Yeah, Ai could use rival.. Or also as they have different styles.. It's also good.. If Yashajin Ai is good when opponents attacks her.. It's perfect opponent to get better for Hinatsuru Ai.. Who likes to attack.. And on the side note - it's a pain that 2 girls' names are Ai.. How I can call one Ai and another Ai, and it all would makes sense?.. Using their surnames suck..
At this rate Yaichi forgot about Hinatsuru, to be honest.. And your life depends on that, dude..
Also Yaichi will have more troubles with his jealous loli harem, again it getting in the way of shougi.. Well, I guess, it also can be motivation for Hinatsuru to try more.. Either way, will see..
Jul 24, 2021 4:07 AM

Jun 2020
The teaching continues as Yaichi starts with Ai in the morning with exercises, So a new disciple appears she's a tad bit more emotional compared to Ai but she feels like she has determination in her eyes just like Ai as well

Ani Sora can be quite scary sometimes especially for Ai when she's pissed off well you can always expect her to be in her top performance but Ai seems to be a bit lacking as she suggests to Yaichi, Okay thank god Yaichi recovered from that I don't wanna see Char crying as well that would also break my heart but someone's a little jealous

Yashajin Ai seems a bit inexperienced and has a long way to go to outperform people but she's catching up, Ai's ahoge is really a lie detector I can agree on that and when she's jealous you don't want to release what she's hiding, Oh no Yaichi you're in big trouble, "Ai-ception",okay wtf is this shit.
Aug 14, 2021 6:29 PM

Feb 2014
New loli, also called Ai, who is very hard to treat.

Charlotte is too adorable, I too would be unable to break her aspirations like that.
Nov 15, 2021 4:45 PM

Nov 2013
I already like red Ai more. She is more mature and not so annoying like blue.
Jun 14, 2022 11:45 PM

Jan 2020
Loli harem? With another character, with the same name? ಠ_ಠ

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 8, 2022 10:16 AM

Jul 2019
"You can be my bride!" Genius move, right there.

I love how Yaichi and Akira gets distracted by trying to figure out Panthers gender. XD

Tsukiyomizaka looks like she might be fun. I like girls with shark teeth,
Jun 10, 2023 10:11 PM

Feb 2019
Yaichi you Loli King you, how will you get outta this one now? lol
Nov 2, 2023 9:07 AM

Dec 2022
Another Ai? Can see that getting confusing.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 16, 2023 6:56 PM

Nov 2023
Loli really wants to prove herself that shes good at shogi
Feb 27, 9:00 PM

Nov 2013
I could swear I heard music from Lupin III in the preamble of this episode.
May 18, 6:45 PM

Oct 2022
I don't know if dark Ai is etter than cheery Ai, but the match would be incredible!
UndefeatedBahamut
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

112 by nanajp »»
Dec 16, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2018

68 by nanajp »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

104 by nanajp »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2018

65 by nanajp »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

62 by nanajp »»
Dec 16, 2023 6:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.