Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another sad episode about Sanji's past... always seems to hit me really hard, probably because I'm such a big Sanji fan TT^TT
otherwise that Nami oppai shot was unexpected O_o
great episode to end off the year for the One Piece anime!
Dec 23, 2017 6:36 PM

Dec 2013
A very heavy Sanji episode.

Dat Nami fanservice tho!

So many feels at the end!
Dec 23, 2017 8:32 PM

Dec 2016
God bro if Oda doesn't devote like 5 chapters to Sanji kicking his brothers' asses in a 3v1, I don't think I will ever enjoy One Piece the same... okay that might be lie but still I need to see Sanji fuck his brothers up
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 23, 2017 8:49 PM

Jun 2016
Nami's enormous boobs.

that father is a huge scumbag,I hope pudding shot him to death.
Dec 23, 2017 9:09 PM

Jul 2016
Those brothers are going to cop it so bad from Sanji.
Dec 23, 2017 9:29 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Jimbei saves Luffy and Nami. :D
That Nami fanservice was good. XD

More backstory about Sanji, this time with more information on his mother and damn that was really emotional. Sanji's Mom was a really courageous woman to try and save her children by endangering her life and even though she might not have saved them all, she died knowing that she saved at least one. :)

The last scene where Reiju tells Sanji that it's because of their Mother's grace that he is kinder than anyone else was really emotional. :(
Dec 23, 2017 9:56 PM

Feb 2017
The adaptation for Sanji's full backstory is nicely done. Good job Toei. From the preview, looks like they're going to wrap up the Pedro vs Tamago fight as well as the Big Mom vs Brook fight.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Dec 23, 2017 11:21 PM

May 2015
I'm going to say it again I hope Oda doesn’t try to redeem the scumbag of a father & their 3 sons... because I’m not gonna buy it...
Dec 23, 2017 11:26 PM

Sep 2013
Nami boobs good as always ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The backstory of sanji's mom through reiju, he wasn't a failure.
Dec 24, 2017 12:02 AM

Mar 2014
shit reiju better not die, she showin some death flags rn
Dec 24, 2017 1:30 AM

Sep 2014
Dem Nami boobies wew ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sanji's mom so great, wonder how she ended up with that jackass ._.
Dec 24, 2017 1:34 AM

Mar 2016
Finally, Luffy and Nami are finally out!!! Now the story can really progress!

This flashback + explanation just give Oda more reason to make Sanji beat the f*ck out of every single one of his brother and his 'father'
Dec 24, 2017 1:53 AM

Oct 2016
What an episode. !!!! that was something.
Dec 24, 2017 2:36 AM

Feb 2013
His father is getting worse and worse, that guy is a monster.
Dec 24, 2017 4:07 AM

Jun 2015
So reiju is also a normal human? how was she not a failure too? Im confused.
Dec 24, 2017 4:18 AM

Feb 2016
Light-Yagami-God said:

wondering the same thing
Dec 24, 2017 4:40 AM

Dec 2014
Such an amazing episode... it seems reiju was also enduring so much in the past...such a good sister
Dec 24, 2017 4:46 AM

Dec 2014
Asunakob said:
Light-Yagami-God said:

wondering the same thing

Vinsmoke father had the idea of surgery after Reiju was born thus it was done after reiju was born... the father was interested in his sons and was fine with reiju...reiju being a little older understood the situation and never defied her father and she was never compared with her brothers unlike sanji, who failed to being a emotionless soldier after the surgery was done

In reiju case the surgery was never done on her thus she was not a failure but her body was later modified and that's why she can heal fast
Dec 24, 2017 4:50 AM

Nov 2016
One Piece can always make me shed a tear or two :'( Nice episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 24, 2017 5:50 AM
Dec 2016
Man after a huge episode its more calm but not that bad what i expected from last week review it was a correct episode and the next one will be great too... so im hyped to next week but seriously...thats enough for sanji-s past
Dec 24, 2017 6:46 AM

Mar 2015
Ohh the feels in this episode.. I'm so glad Reiju is on Sanji's side, hopefully things will work out for the two of them as they take down their horrible horrible family. I'm really looking forward to it!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 24, 2017 12:26 PM

Apr 2015
  • Sanji is truly the greatest kid. ~
  • One again Sanji's father proves that he is pure evil.
  • Those words at the end of episode was so powerful.
  • 4/5
Dec 24, 2017 4:16 PM

Feb 2015
It's amazing how good this series still is.
Dec 24, 2017 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
Finally Luffy and Nami got out of this prison book. Was interesting that even Jimbeis attack didn't do anything, but at least he had fire :D

Damn that Nami fanservice was so hnnnnnggg >.<

So that seems to be the rest of Sanjis backstory. So sad how his mother past away, she was such a nice woman. :(

Fuck his father, for real. How can someone be like that. Seeing his own kids only like soldiers.....
These words of Reiju at the end <3

Luffy is pissed. Big Mom can be happy if he won't destroy the whole chateau :D

Next episode should also be interesting with showing more of the the fights of Pedro vs. Tamago and Brook vs. Big Mom.

Dec 29, 2017 3:45 PM
Jul 2016
I love the episode♡
it's very heavy and very sadT_T
NAMI fan service was good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
a really great episode to end this year
Dec 30, 2017 6:51 AM

Jul 2008
Damn Reiju is awesome.....I really want Judge to get his ass kicked but I fear that's not going to happen.
Jan 2, 2018 4:56 AM
Jun 2015
I want there to be a massacre at the wedding, but knowing Sanji he is going to save his scumbag dad and brothers.
Jan 5, 2018 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
That little revelation about why Sanji's the only normal one among the brothers could've been done in a minute or two but instead Toei decides they know better and proceeds to take the whole fucking episode with their slow as fuck pacing and the repetition of those scenes of Sanji being bullied. What's worse is that watching the opening song kinda revealed that the Strawhats might team up with these Germa66 to defeat Big Mom. Teaming up with the lesser evil makes sense but like I said before, there's no forgiving Sanji's family. Reiju's right, they've got to fucking go.
Jan 20, 2018 4:19 PM

Oct 2015
Luffy really was planning to cut off his hands, damn what a drastic guy. If it wasn't for Jinbei he would've damned.

Every time he teared his skin I was closing my eyes, because I couldn't look at my favorite guy doing that. Sometimes I even skipped to how crazy he was. Lame ep with Sanji back story.

To tell the honest truth Whole cake island arc sucks big time for me and the focus on Sanji has made a drag to watch ( I still don't understand him).
If I had to give this arc so far it would be 5/10 and going down, I wish we could go to another arc already.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 21, 2018 2:52 PM

May 2010
I knew Reijuu would turn out to be a decent human being after all! Sanji is definitely very kind, I'm sure he won't let his family die, even if he despises most of it.

lihle808 said:
To tell the honest truth Whole cake island arc sucks big time for me and the focus on Sanji has made a drag to watch ( I still don't understand him).
If I had to give this arc so far it would be 5/10 and going down, I wish we could go to another arc already.

That's interesting, for me it's (so far) easily the best arc post time-skip, maybe because it's focused on original crew so much? Or maybe because Sanji is one of my OP favourites in general.
Jan 21, 2018 3:17 PM

Oct 2015
Kitsu-nee said:
I knew Reijuu would turn out to be a decent human being after all! Sanji is definitely very kind, I'm sure he won't let his family die, even if he despises most of it.

lihle808 said:

That's interesting, for me it's (so far) easily the best arc post time-skip, maybe because it's focused on original crew so much? Or maybe because Sanji is one of my OP favourites in general.
Maybe because I miss Zoro and others, but mostly Zoro.

Sanji is a womanising bastard who will compromise his crew just to be with a woman ( he's plenty selfish and least favorite).
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 23, 2018 2:03 PM

Apr 2013
I'm kinda sick and tired by now about flashbacks of the Vinsmoke family...
Oct 1, 2018 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
Holy hell Nami ...
That was nice of Reiju to tell Sanji, I think he really needed that after all this bs he's gotten.
Oct 1, 2018 9:42 PM

Apr 2018
Are the episodes good? Stopped watching somewhere between episode 600-625.
Jan 8, 2020 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
Now that the full circumstances surrounding Sanji and, to an extent, his other siblings came to light. I have to say that I understand Sanji's siblings a bit better now. They're scumbags and rotten sure, but it is because they lack emotions to feel anything. No feelings whatsoever, almost like a robot, a robot who is programmed to value strength above everything else. The real monster here is Judge, Sanji's father. Honestly, he needs to be knocked off his high horse. I am tired of him. As for Sora Vinsmoke, truly a heart befitting of a mother. It makes me wonder how she was able to attract an unfavorable person like Judge.

Jinbei to the rescue. Wonder how he got out safely from his previous predicament with Big Mom though.

Luffy really needs to be careful here, he is still really tired after everything that has happened. Not to mention how hungry he is at the moment. He won't be fighting at full strength any time soon.
Apr 18, 2020 11:03 AM

Feb 2014
Fuck Sanji's dad and his brothers, I want them to die, fucking pieces of shits, more so the dad, the dad is the real cunt! I like his sister Reiju tho. Poor Sanji... ahhh he went thru so much!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Apr 18, 2020 11:04 AM

Feb 2014
Random_Noobsss said:
Are the episodes good? Stopped watching somewhere between episode 600-625.

In general, yes they are.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
May 20, 2020 1:24 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, Sanji's backstory just downright hurts now...

Pretty sure he'll end up helping his father and three brother despite all this. I suppose that's one way of stating that he isn't a failure after all.

Meanwhile, Jimbei returns! And some delightful Nami fanservice, lol.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 9, 2020 9:46 PM

Jun 2016
I cried pretty hard for Sanji this episode. What affected me wasn't the cruelty that Sanji suffered but rather how, in retrospect, everything about him makes so much sense. Sanji knew what it was like to be treated instrumentally as a child, to be treated abusively and told by his father to never mention his name. Coming from that background, seeing that Sanji is willing to put his life on the line for anybody that he considers his own, anyone that he respects and cares for, it only makes sense. Seeing how he treats Chopper, Chimney, and Momonosuke so kindly, it only makes sense. He knows what it is like to have nobody, he knows what it is like to have so few people fight for you, he knows what it is like to be unloved and unsupported. He is those things for other people. He is the things he desperately needed for anybody he considers a friend. Akin to Luffy’s backstory, it grounded his outstanding behavior in sadness, while also producing a feeling of triumph, a feeling of duty being fulfilled. That is what affected me so much. I was able to see Sanji on a level that felt more human than ever.

There's some bitter irony in the fact that Sanji is strong enough to beat his brother's asses now. When he was treated horribly, instrumentally, and conditionally, he did not fight for those around him. But when he had a family that cared for him, he became strong enough to oppose Germa 66. If only Judge actually cared for him, if only then Sanji could have become as strong as he is now but out of respect and gratefulness and compassion for his father, yet he lacked all of those things so he didn’t. This is the flaw in Judge’s parenting even from his perspective and his goal.

But, there was a lot of sadness and warmth around them all. Reiju is a pressing example. I got a strong sense of inferiority emerging from her. She knows that her mother, Sora, died for Sanji. And Reiju appears to be willing to die for Sanji as well, so that the grace of Sora and her self-sacrifice lives on. That grace being Sanji’s compassion and humanity. But her seeming self-sacrifice, willing to die with the rest of her family because she was never able to oppose them, makes me think she feels as though she failed. As though she did not live up to her mother's wishes, that only Sanji did. As if her and her brothers are all monsters who cannot feel, but we have seen countless times that Reiju can feel in small and big ways, we've seen kindness through her, she subdues it but it is there. Given the right push, I feel she could be as strong and compassionate as Sanji is. But, I don't think she realizes that. “Parting memories are suspect. Don't think that you are indebted to me for helping you once.” It is also notable that Sora was the same name of the marine in the comics who opposed Germa 66 if I recall correctly, exactly what she did too.

I even felt this feeling of sadness towards Judge of all people, which may be a more controversial take. But I felt inklings of sympathy towards him. This is because Sora is a strong and compassionate and loving person, whereas Judge is cruel and cold, and it makes me feel as though he couldn’t have always been this way, it evokes questions of why they were together if he had been. In the past there was a time I speculated that Judge was this way because he had lost her, it would paint the perfect picture, a man loses his wife and all he has left is status and glory days! Yet this was not the case, he was this way towards her while she was alive and at her grave. Still, he did go to her grave, as did he keep Sanji alive while feeding him good food. This creates a sense of connection between the two of them even after her death, even if it is diluted with cruelty and selfishness. I may be giving him far too much credit just as I may have with Pudding, but for these reasons, the marriage between near opposites, and the slight tinge of obligation or respect he had for her, I feel he has not always been this way. As if, at some point he became a husk, living in the past, with nothing else to live for but to re-achieve the grandeur of his glory days and the power that came with it. I want to know why he became this way, why Sora married him, and if this sadness I feel buried within him has truth to it or if I'm extrapolating far too much.

I suppose if I’m going all out, the way it was expressed was that the brothers were also brainwashed, through genetic modification and through their childhood to be unfeeling creatures which despise weakness and only value strength. One thought that I had was that because Reiju was the first child perhaps the experimentation was flawed and reserved some of her humanity, and if so there's a possibility that there is no blame to be put on the evil brothers, and possibly a chance for them to get some emotional breakthroughs and remind them of some deeply entrenched sense of humanity that could never leave them. This is also a good time to mention what everyone probably noticed a long time ago, in that every subordinate to Judge is incredibly instrumental to him. He named his children numbers, his entire army are clones which are loyal to death. His rule lacks any form of respect for anyone below him, his clones serve as meat shields, if his children could not live up to expectation he would dispose of them. His wife seemed to be instrumentally used for the sake of children and then those children were ripped away from her. This is the culture that surrounds the family. It's a bleak picture despite the goofy appearances and squeaky shoes.
Sep 15, 2020 4:58 AM

Mar 2020
Glad to see that Sanji's mother was such a good person. Someone was who was proud of Sanji.
Jun 6, 2021 1:42 PM
Jun 2019
Can someone tell me what is the OST's name that was used when reiju said 'you are not a failure'
Aug 3, 2021 11:00 PM

May 2016
I just realized that the dinner Sanji made for Pudding's most likely gonna end up in Luffy's stomach sooner than later lmao

It's safe to say that Germa 66's greatest failure was Sora's greatest success. She might not have been able to prevent her three other sons from turning into monsters but at least Sanji made sure that her sacrifice wasn't done in vain. As miserable as he is in this situation right now, he actually has friends who'd do anything to get him back and make him happy.

I hope that Reiju won't end up dying alongside her brothers.

Aug 7, 2021 10:34 PM

Sep 2015
This was a very touching episode, it was a relief to know that, not all of his family was against him, the kindness he has got was through all the sufferings hes gone and the strong influence from Baratie, putting care to food is the same as putting care to other people.

3 of his brothers of his really needs to experience his cooking along with emotions, if they even get a chance to do so.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 21, 2021 12:18 AM

Jun 2019
Can't take my eyes off of Nami. She's so gorgeous and hot. Holy shit.

Other than that, Reijuu telling Sanji the story of their mother was sad.
Sep 4, 2021 11:51 PM

Aug 2021
revealed how Sanji's mom died and how Sanji was different from other brothers

How tf is Luffy gonna fight in that wrecked up state
May 16, 2022 7:01 PM

Dec 2012
Man, the feels this time. To his cruel father, Sanji's humanity was considered his greatest failure. But to his warm mother, his kindness was her greatest success.

I also like the way Reiju has tried to watch over Sanji all of this time in her own way. I only just realized that she wasn't born the same time as the brothers and so she probably wasn't engineered in the same way. I can't fault her for how she would go with the flow and if anything, that's probably why doing something like saving Luffy at sea worked in her favor.

Meant to mention this a while back, but I also noticed the lyrics in the current opening really feel like they're meant for Sanji. It makes me tear up every time.
Feb 27, 2023 2:16 AM
Aug 2021
Man Sanji's mum really was a good woman. The more they show his brothers and father the more I want them to die. Since they say they are supposed to show 0 emotions but they show so much hatred towards Sanji so f them kids😂😂😂
Aug 22, 2023 3:53 PM
Jun 2020
Loved it. 5 star. I cannot belive sanje took away the mom here live. And such his sister is nice. Guys peace.
Nov 23, 2023 9:37 PM
Jun 2022
ughh fuckkk rip sora, JudgeK, the ending with luffy's feelings come back sanji really fucked me up, really well cinematics played in with the past W Reiju dont die bru 😭😭😭😭😭💔💔
Feb 24, 6:00 AM
Oct 2019
Judge is definitely one of the worst Father in Anime.

Sanji is not a failure.

Thank You Reiju.
RIP Sora.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 108 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Dec 17, 2009

60 by TheStarscream759 »»
3 minutes ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

83 by TheSunLife »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 201 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 13, 2009

31 by Titanfan93 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 200 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranivus - Oct 9, 2008

61 by Titanfan93 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1118 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Sep 7

62 by Astrollyth »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.