Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 9, 2017 11:02 AM

Jan 2010
I love the environment design, it kind of reminds me of the legend of zelda: wind waker with the sand ocean and islands

Also the ending song is probably my favorite so far this season ♥︎
Oct 9, 2017 11:07 AM

Jul 2016
Loved it. If it keeps up this pace it could easily be my AOTS or AOTY.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2017 11:08 AM

Jun 2016
What a gorgeous looking show. The characters are what normal, but the backdrops are beautiful. I wasn't sure if I would like it when I saw the PV, but I'm all in now. It gives this world a rich setting, even though there's not much in it.

The story looks good as well. There's probably people out there and this group broke away for whatever reason. I loved every moment of this.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Oct 9, 2017 11:10 AM

Nov 2007
It looks so good. Loved every single bit of the episode. As mentioned already in comments, it reminds Shinsekai Yori.
I find it very intriguing. Can't wait to find out more about the community and its history. It seems like elderly keeps some knowledge about the world to themselves. Hope we will find more about it in next episodes. What happened on the other island? There are so many questions.
It will surely be one of the best series this season. 5/5 episode.
Oct 9, 2017 11:19 AM
Apr 2009
Chendroshee said:
Oh god, i got bamboozled by the cover. I thought they are all girl until i saw this is a shoujo anime.
How many girls are in the main cast? Most chars looks like girls but nowadays you cant never be sure
Oct 9, 2017 11:34 AM

Feb 2015
A very solid first episode with some lovely art. There are definite pointers as to where this is going and I love the world set up it's facinating. Not sure its AOTY material as some have said but I think it could be a very good series. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 9, 2017 12:16 PM
Jun 2016
WOW this was incredible, I would watch this series even if the story was terrible just for the artwork, I love the backgrounds so nostalgia, kinda make me think of some of those really artsy short movies like Aru Tabibito no Nikki and Tsumiki no Ie
Oct 9, 2017 12:22 PM

Mar 2013
Wow. Pretty solid and interesting start! A sand ocean... sounds tough. Seems like the three main protagonists are off into something now. Makes me slightly anxious seeing them live in the middle of nowhere and with that short life span. Looking forward to see more, and where are these kids going to end.
Oct 9, 2017 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
First Mahoutsukai no Yome and now this, I can’t believe how this season has not only one but two good fantasy series*____* Just amazing! This anime feels like a mixture of Nausicaä and Shinsekai Yori so I’m already loving it.
•••Everyone wants to connect with someone else•••
~Kiznaiver
Oct 9, 2017 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
It was good !

The art is well done, really faithfull and colorfull...

But storywise ....
SpaceMarsouinOct 9, 2017 12:49 PM
+Lunai+

Oct 9, 2017 12:49 PM

Jan 2014
Wao based on the image i though they were all girls but turns out half the cast are guys, now i feel dumb and dissapointed, I'll still watch it tho, the art was nice.
Oct 9, 2017 12:53 PM

Jul 2012
The art style threw me off at first, 'cause it wasn't what I was expecting. But I think I like it. Gives the show it's own style.

The world is interesting. Our main trio seem a bit cliche or bland so far, but it's only the first episode. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop.

Seems like there's a lot out there waiting to be discovered! Should be fun to watch :)
Oct 9, 2017 1:00 PM

Oct 2014
That was beautiful
Oct 9, 2017 1:27 PM

Sep 2017
Not sure how to feel about this. Some male characters acting so feminine (the artstyle is great though)
Oct 9, 2017 1:30 PM

Feb 2016
Looks like a generic shoujo, but the art is nice and the concept seems very interesting. Kinda reminds me of Shinsekai Yori with that start as others already pointed out. It might have potential.

EDIT: Yeah, that ending kinda came out of nowhere..
AquamirrorOct 9, 2017 1:42 PM
Oct 9, 2017 1:56 PM

Nov 2012
Who is subbing this?
Oct 9, 2017 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
That was a great start and it looks promising.

The setting of the story is interesting. Though it's sad that those people that are "marked" only have a short lifespan. Those elders are clearly hiding something.

Looking forward to this. Shame it's only 1-cour.

Oct 9, 2017 2:12 PM

Jun 2012
Wow. I'm already in love with the setting. This was absolutely amazing.
Oct 9, 2017 2:31 PM

Jan 2017
Now, that's the kind of premise, world building and story I'd like to see at least twice as much as there is now. Plus the setting: beautiful!!!

Nevertheless, it has some tiny flaws... the pacing, which is well-done in the first half is getting a little too fast after the scene in the bowels. Why does Suou even tell Ouni and his gang about the girl Chakuro found, when he fears them going after her in the first place. Too convenient. Plus, why does Chakuro help them escape? Sure, he wants to unravel ancient history, but his character before has been set as obedient, integrated bee of the society of the mud whale. At that point it felt so unlike him to risk his position like that all of a sudden. Also, very convenient.

Still, the Anime has great potential and despite those minor things I very much enjoyed watching it.
Oct 9, 2017 2:53 PM

Jun 2009
Well, the first episode was interesting and got my attention, so I'm looking forward to more. Plus, the style is very pretty.
Oct 9, 2017 3:03 PM
Back to anime

Jun 2017
I really like the visuals and OSTs. Probably one of my top 3 anime this season so far.
Oct 9, 2017 3:31 PM

May 2015
One thing is for sure, that certainly looked pretty and unique. I loved it.

Promising start so far in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of the best ones this season.

Oct 9, 2017 4:20 PM

Sep 2012
Another promising high fantasy show. I'm already getting Shinsekai Yori vibes from this seeing as there are hints of a dystopian world waiting to be revealed.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Oct 9, 2017 8:04 PM
Jan 2017
I knew absolutely nothing about this show when it was announced, other than some of my favorite VAs were in it. After this first episode, I'm glad I watched it. The visuals and the music are incredible, almost reaching cinematic quality. Chakuro shapes up to be an interesting protagonist, and the episode sets up the mystery of Lykos quite well. This thymia shapes up to be like the Force of the show, what with characters using it to move objects with their minds. Definitely a keeper for the season.
Oct 9, 2017 8:22 PM

Jan 2011
went in blind as i do with most new shows came out really surprised world seems very interesting hidden by many secrets of the past

art and backgrounds are so nice to look at character designs are solid as well

this could turn out really good but boy was their a lot of exposition lol felt like most of this episode was spent explaining every little thing
Oct 9, 2017 8:43 PM

Oct 2008
I never expected that this show would be good already huh!
Quite a different world environment!
5/5.

Oct 9, 2017 9:21 PM

Dec 2014
Really good start.

J.C. Staff sure nailed the aesthetic here, the visuals look stunning.

Interesting premise so far, isolated landmass, unknown world and stuff. Like the world setting as well with the sand oceans and the whole thymia magic. Definitely interested in the reason behind the smaller lifespans here.

The elders seem nice but they are terribly suspicious, they most certainly know something about the world that they're not revealing.

Liking the characters so far as well.
Looking forward to more, hope the show keeps up the quality.
Oct 9, 2017 10:08 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty cheerful considering someone JUST DIED. Anyway, I like it, seems interesting and I wanna learn more about the weird.

On that note, I'm kind of hoping this becomes a thing now. Group of people living their lives in a strange land meet a dark skin outsider and than run off with said outsider to explore the world. Both this and Made in Abyss did it and I like it.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 9, 2017 10:24 PM

Jul 2011
Gorgeous. Seriously. The visuals and music make me so happy.

I love these adventure fantasy-type anime.

Though I have to admit I thought the mc was a girl in the PV and everything right up until he started speaking. xD
Oct 9, 2017 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
Ugh, the character designs don't fit the backgrounds and the writing is crap.
So much exposition overload, awkward pacing, dialogue, comedic moments, lack of "show don't tell", and boring characters.
But the world...itself, is so amazing, and unique. When looking at it by aesthetics, it's...right up my alley.
Unless the writing truly becomes shit, I am going to continue watching this purely for the world, aesthetics, and mystery.
Oct 9, 2017 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
DuoraDoll said:
Pretty cheerful considering someone JUST DIED. Anyway, I like it, seems interesting and I wanna learn more about the weird.

On that note, I'm kind of hoping this becomes a thing now. Group of people living their lives in a strange land meet a dark skin outsider and than run off with said outsider to explore the world. Both this and Made in Abyss did it and I like it.

Am I the only one somewhat suspicious by the fact that the main cast isn't dark skinned?
Considering how they're surrounded by sand, it might be safe to assume the weather is extremely hot. And given how they're always outside, in a desert-like place, they should be seriously tanned.
Oct 9, 2017 11:50 PM

Aug 2014
Maybe they'll explore the rest of the world better than they established this part of it.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 9, 2017 11:54 PM

Jan 2008
Great backgrounds and art, but really bad animation (as expected from JC Staff). And it was the first episode, so it won't get better...

Story seems kind of interesting and the ending was good, so I'll see what happens next...
Oct 10, 2017 1:11 AM

Dec 2011
Hi3i said:
Chendroshee said:
Oh god, i got bamboozled by the cover. I thought they are all girl until i saw this is a shoujo anime.
How many girls are in the main cast? Most chars looks like girls but nowadays you cant never be sure

Sorry idk, i instanly take back my decision of watching this.
Oct 10, 2017 3:06 AM
Apr 2016
Really interested in the series, a slowly revealing world structure, just like Knights of Sidonia (of different kind of fiction though), satisfied with everything to note about this show.
Re:formed
Oct 10, 2017 7:04 AM

Oct 2015
This is literally the hidden Game in this season. I also smell Shinsekai Yori vibe.
Oct 10, 2017 7:10 AM

Jun 2016
Holy crap. That animation quality, though. I loved its sceneries, it's pleasing to the eyes. :) I liked its first episode and I want to know more about them and that thymia thing.

And this is like a post-apocalyptic show. Somehow reminds me of Waterworld.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 10, 2017 8:43 AM

Mar 2016
I had this show on my skip list, oh boy how wrong I was... This is a potencial AOTS
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 10, 2017 10:58 AM

Mar 2009
Nice visuals and imaginative world, but can't say I was too thrilled with the MC's non-stop exposition. There's a natural way to build the world, but this wasn't it. Like @topazio said above, too much information in one single episode.
Oct 10, 2017 11:18 AM

Apr 2016
This was actually good, and i wasn't expecting absolutely anything from this.
Oct 10, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
Calling it right now, that mud whale thing is being powered by the saimia users and it's draining their power passively causing them to die young. The normal people are just using them and keeping this a secret. The dungeon is probably a place where this drain is very strong which is why they can't use their powers there. And of course saimia users elsewhere live normal lifespans which is why Lykos didn't know anything about this.
My guess is these elders are trying to isolate their society from whatever is on this mainland. This is all speculation from the first episode as I haven't read the source material but I'm 99% sure I'm right.
Oct 10, 2017 1:44 PM

Oct 2008
johnyjohny said:
Who is subbing this?
i think the one who's subbing this is Asenshi since hs doesn't have it...

Oct 10, 2017 1:54 PM

Dec 2016
tfw when 95% of comments are people saying they were planning on skipping this/didn't know it exists/ had no expectations but this was one of my most anticipated fall anime for months now. Worse yet it's licensed by Netflix....

So I thought this was a really great first episode. Pacing was a little rough at times, nothing too terrible though and personally I have no issues with the narration thus far. It looks gorgeous and the world is intriguing. I like our MC and the brother and sister so far. Hope the quality remains consistent.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Oct 10, 2017 2:57 PM
Aug 2014
Surprised no one thought of building something similar to hang gliders as a method of transportation, it would probably cost them less energy...

Maybe we'll get something like shinsekai yori
Oct 10, 2017 5:21 PM

Jul 2012
The trailers didn't lie, this was really pretty. The animations and the art were great.
I was totally hooked until the end. Now those old dudes gave some interesting hints about the world: The talked about a Mainland, they said the world has nor changed when the "apathoia" girl appeared and they said that if they contact the outside world chaos is going to befall them.
I mean, the old lady basically confirmed there is a outside world...did those guys in the council (the young ones) knew about it?

Really excited by this.
Ouni best guy.
Otter-cat best character.

It totally reminds me of Shinsekai Yori with the thymia and people hiding important information about the world from the characters.

Oct 11, 2017 1:38 AM

Mar 2016
So far, this is really unique. I really enjoyed the first episode, and I really like the main characters. The world they are in seems really big, and they need to explore more to find other living beings. I'm really interested in where they are going to go next, and in what's up with the elders and the girl.
Oct 11, 2017 4:56 AM
Aug 2017
Hidden gem of the season most likely.
Oct 11, 2017 5:45 AM

Jul 2015
A good start for this one. The story is pretty interesting, and it has so many potentials to become a great anime (the Thyme, the world, the hidden truth). Hopefully this delivers. Background is beautiful but sometimes I found out that the character design doesn't match well with the design. The pacing is a bit fast to be honest.
The ending is unexpected thou.

It was a nice watch for first episode. I expect a good thing from this anime.
Oct 11, 2017 6:57 AM

Jul 2013
Looks promising, but somewhat it is possible to see some similarities with Suisei no Gargantia and Shinsekai Yori: A world that was engulfed in war and people are forced to live their lives in a nomad-like system, harvesting what they see of the old world while some other people are hiding something that could change all that is known of this world.

I think we get to see a lot of cliche things in this anime, but the ride looks really, really good. Those visuals are not found just anywhere, you can see J.C Staff putting a lot of effort in this. It is really hard to give a starting note, but my guess it is that this will be one of the best of this season.

PS: The ending music was really good, had that slow feels vibe that fits the anime perfectly.
Gotta update this soon™
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

95 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 24, 1:33 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.